New
Oct 14, 2018 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
I plan on deleting my account soon and would like all my threads deleted
removed-userMay 30, 2021 9:01 PM
Oct 14, 2018 5:23 PM

May 2018
yes of course it has :D
specially for movies and series...for anime series and movies, they can make anything and do anything but for ordinary movies and series they can't,so the story has a lot more details for anime series and movies and is much more interesting of course :D :))))

Oct 14, 2018 5:27 PM

Jan 2013
I think that anime fandom is more demanding and much harder to handle than books/movies/live action series/etc fandoms I've encountered, there's more pressure to form detailed opinions and more situations where you need to defend your taste or approach to the medium, so generally interacting with anime fandom made me think about many things I wouldn't care about otherwise and it also shows when I switch to other mediums.

But no, I wouldn't call myself a critic. I've made an awesome progress in my English skills though.
fuyukiOct 14, 2018 5:41 PM
Oct 14, 2018 5:29 PM

Apr 2018
No, Chinese cartoons do not make you a literary critic
Oct 14, 2018 5:33 PM

Oct 2015
To be honest I feel as though after reading light novels I have regressed in my reading level...

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Oct 14, 2018 5:36 PM

Aug 2017
yes after watching a couple of cute girls shows i became a professional literary critic
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2018 5:36 PM

May 2016
Kerylon said:
No, Chinese cartoons do not make you a literary critic

OmG iTs NoT cHiNeSe CaRtOoNs!!111!!1!!!11

Oct 14, 2018 5:38 PM

Feb 2018
sepid_96 said:
specially for movies and series...for anime series and movies, they can make anything and do anything but for ordinary movies and series they can't,so the story has a lot more details for anime series and movies and is much more interesting of course :D :))))

Most live action movies and tv shows aren't ordinary though lol
Oct 14, 2018 6:06 PM

May 2018
Zachhh said:
sepid_96 said:

Most live action movies and tv shows aren't ordinary though lol

what i meant was in general :D in anime,a simple story can have many more details and can be much more interesting than the story itself :D

Oct 14, 2018 6:32 PM

May 2009
ProfessionalNEET said:
When I've been watching live-action shows or reading books lately, or even just thinking about them, I find myself picking them apart much more that I did before I started watching anime. What's more interesting is that my parents are literary agents/editors, so when they tell me about the manuscripts they're looking over, I now find myself automatically thinking of ways to improve them. So since you've started watching anime, do you have you found yourself picking apart movies, books, TV shows, etc. more?
Not really, well, not much at least.

Maybe a little more than before, because it used to be that I just watched stuff for my own satisfaction, while these days I hang out in some social circles that involve anime, so I need to at least be able to communicate to people my opinion of a work and why I have that opinion.

But aside from that, and aside from those times I'm just unsatisfied with a show and want to write a "fix fic" on it (which I'm inevitably too lazy to do), I don't find myself being more critical than before.

That's partly due to the way I watch things, probably -- I prefer to "want the story to succeed" rather than to take it apart, so my thinking is probably more along the lines of putting together an understanding of the story that makes sense to and entertains me, rather than picking it apart for its flaws. The latter is unimmersive and not fun, for me.

That said, I guess to a lesser extent I can kinda "see" some things these days that I used to not, such as seeing how certain animation techniques work or noticing when they've been applied. Not really literary critic stuff specifically though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 14, 2018 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, not really. I just wonder: what about this anime do I like/dislike? I primarily judge anime by the overall premise, aesthetics, feel, pacing.
Oct 14, 2018 6:47 PM

Jan 2017
I don't get paid, so no.

30 character filler.
Oct 14, 2018 6:51 PM
Jun 2016
Either it was anime, or it was something else. Doesn't matter much to me though.
Still nice to switch off a bit and mindlessly enjoy something every now and then, which is what comedies are good for!
Oct 14, 2018 6:52 PM

Aug 2014
Yes, specifically after i watched school days.
Oct 14, 2018 7:15 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
For the series I'm passionate about and possibly because the vast amount of mistranslations from anime to manga is more irritating then ever before.
Oct 14, 2018 7:37 PM

Nov 2017
Not really, but for sure made me more picky. At least to choose what to watch according to my preferences and tastes and not what "the flow" is watching.
Oct 14, 2018 7:45 PM

Aug 2018
No more than usual. And i dont think i've ever tried to pick stuff apart while watching/reading. Its usually just an overview of things i liked/disliked
Oct 14, 2018 7:50 PM

Oct 2010
I've certainly got better at writing, analyzing and picking apart, but that's not just something anime did because it's special. It's just that I watch anime, and the more I watch and read about it, the more I know. Same with movies. And I'm pretty sure it would be the same if I explored through other media.
Oct 14, 2018 8:04 PM

Oct 2014
No it hasn't. I'm glad I don't care that much about what I watch that I need to dissect it just because I notice a plot hole or an overused trope or bad dialogue.
Oct 14, 2018 8:07 PM

Dec 2012
Absolutely not, critical is not something I would use to describe myself in terms of entertainment at all. in fact it's more like the opposite happened. I used to be only into a few genres of movies and my tastes expanded after I got into anime because it got me to try new things.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 14, 2018 8:08 PM

Sep 2014
It made me more seletive.

I ain't a critic.
Smoke Weed Everyday
Oct 14, 2018 8:24 PM

Jul 2017
I would never be one I guess
I like to reflect on real world when I'm watching an interesting anime and I would make connections and think for myself why am I watching the anime and what aspects of this anime do I enjoy , dislike , doesn't understand etc
I would write a review for myself on a paper everytime I finish an enjoyable anime. Since english is my second language I am not qualified nor capable of becoming a decent critic, at least not right now unless my english and understanding of life will be improved drastically over these weeks
as for movies tv shows or games or whatever it works the same way I guess
one thing that I like to do when im bored is to read others 'opinions' or reviews on certain anime and I do find them interesting/legitimate or questionable and I would compare their thoughts with mine
Oct 14, 2018 10:20 PM

Oct 2013
No. I don't go the road beyond enjoyment than necessary. Setting higher standards and nit picking dampens the whole experience for me. I'm not watching anime, movies or anything just to play the critic role. Maybe I reflect a bit after but I like to focused on to the positive stuff about it and things that mattered to me.

At the end of the day, to each his own.
Oct 14, 2018 10:41 PM

Dec 2017
Less of a critic and more biased I think.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 14, 2018 11:07 PM

Nov 2009
ProfessionalNEET said:
When I've been watching live-action shows or reading books lately, or even just thinking about them, I find myself picking them apart much more that I did before I started watching anime. What's more interesting is that my parents are literary agents/editors, so when they tell me about the manuscripts they're looking over, I now find myself automatically thinking of ways to improve them. So since you've started watching anime, do you have you found yourself picking apart movies, books, TV shows, etc. more?

Since I started watching anime, I started watching a lot less live-action movies and TV shows. Because anime is just that much better.
That said, I don't bother critiquing anything. It's pointless. The author will not do it better even if I tell him what was wrong.
And there is little reason for a common viewer to read a detailed review of a show. When I make a recommendation, I just say the show's genre and what's good about the show. If I would say everything that is bad about a show, I would be stuck till evening. Because most of them are flawed mass-produced crap. You gotta watch stuff for the good points, not hope for something flawless.
Oct 14, 2018 11:40 PM

Feb 2010
Everything I read or watch and reflect on has the effect of increasing my experience in that regard. Any medium can give you that experience. Although of course there are some anime or animation specific elements as well. But general writing transcends mediums to some degree.

Tho tbh, what most improved my literary criticism/analysis experience is reading or watching stuff about literary criticism/analysis, or watching people who are more experienced or more talented at it than I am perform literary criticism/analysis. So reading books on literary theory and watching channels like every frame a painting or lessons from the screenplay probably did more for me in that regard than just watching stuff.

flannan said:
ProfessionalNEET said:

Since I started watching anime, I started watching a lot less live-action movies and TV shows. Because anime is just that much better.
That said, I don't bother critiquing anything. It's pointless. The author will not do it better even if I tell him what was wrong.
And there is little reason for a common viewer to read a detailed review of a show. When I make a recommendation, I just say the show's genre and what's good about the show. If I would say everything that is bad about a show, I would be stuck till evening. Because most of them are flawed mass-produced crap. You gotta watch stuff for the good points, not hope for something flawless.

But criticizing isn't simply saying what was wrong. Or rather that's just one, kinda reductive definition of the word. Critic isn't inherently negative in its other, more general meaning which is the how it should be used when talking about criticizing literature or film (or anime).

" to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly" (Merriam-Webster)
"Form and express a judgement of (a literary or artistic work)" (Oxford Dictionary)
"to give an opinion or judgment about a book, film, etc." (Cambridge Dictionary)

It's something you do for your own sake (and enjoyment). To understand both what you watched and your reactions to it better. What about it worked and what didn't, and why? How did the movie/book/anime achieve making you feel tension, or sadness, or joy, or empathy? What methods did the visuals, the script, the actors use to convey those things? Why were events shows in a certain order or from a certain perspective? Which information was given to us when, in which order and why? Etc...

Only after thorough examination, if you're confident, you can reach some conclusions in what could have worked better. But that's just a minuscule part of critical analysis. Mostly it's about gaining a better understanding of what you watched and of the relationship between the work and the viewer/reader. That's just, well, interesting and fun and being aware of these things enriches every viewing experience as far as I'm concerned.

I really don't like the bad repution the term 'criticism' has amongs the - no offense - people uneducated in critical analysis. The negative connotation of 'finding flaws' or 'indicating disapproval' really is more representative of how the term is used in everyday life, not how it is used in critical analysis where it is much closer to 'evaluate' or 'examine' than to 'shit on'. That's why every dictionary has two definitions for it. Self-appointed 'critics' or 'reviewers' who only use it as the latter should not be taken very seriously since it is indicative of them not knowing what they're even supposed to do as a critic/reviewer.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 14, 2018 11:47 PM

Jun 2017
Not formally of course, but yeah. After around the 200 completed mark I started devloping some critical thinking towards anime, after around 300 I became cognizant of a lot of the flaws and strengths of shows (so my ratings dropped quite significantly), and now at 400 completed I am nearing my final form. My advice for anyone who wants to develop critical thinking quicker is to watch a lot of the same types of show, regardless of the genre. Eventually, after seeing enough of the same thing being done over and over you are able to notice patterns and better tell which are good or bad. In my case it was mainly romance and fantasy.
Oct 14, 2018 11:58 PM
Jul 2017
I'm far from a literary critic, but my critical thinking skills did improved a lot from the time I started watching anime. Though, the same would have happened if I watched live action, books or video games.
Oct 14, 2018 11:59 PM

Aug 2013
It's the opposite for me. Reading and watching movies helped me improve how I look at anime, though there are exceptions (mostly manga, though). Anime usually helps only my critical sense towards anime itself. I think it's easier to find a thought-provoking movie (in the technical sense) than an anime.
Oct 15, 2018 4:17 AM

Feb 2013
because of anime and manga i found tvtropes which greatly enhanced my literary critic abilities
Oct 15, 2018 6:17 AM

Jun 2017
assyrian said:
yes after watching a couple of cute girls shows i became a professional literary critic

This. although Yotsubato! made me a literary critic
Oct 15, 2018 6:28 AM

Jul 2017
Somewhat but I mean I watch anime for the sake of enjoyment most of the time.
Oct 15, 2018 6:45 AM

Feb 2018
I wouldn't call myself a critic but I did start being way more critical of the entertainment I consume.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

38 by Thanatos1 »»
11 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

221 by ColourWheel »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

62 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 3 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

113 by DreamingBeats »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Apr 16

44 by Lucifrost »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.