Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2018 9:04 PM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fuck, they just left the Pets detail open-ended :(

Things got weird and timey-wimey there, but at least Kana looked cool when her NO went crazy
Oct 13, 2018 9:07 PM
Oct 2015
What a disappointing and surprisingly boring season.
Oct 13, 2018 9:09 PM

Sep 2013
I hope the people that left to Mars don't encounter any cockroaches.

Oct 13, 2018 9:20 PM
Oct 2015
zachfoss said:
I hope the people that left to Mars don't encounter any cockroaches.
If they do they will find themselves in a better anime.
Oct 13, 2018 9:32 PM
Sep 2017
So can we all agree that the ending kinda came out of nowhere. Like what in the hell even happened?
Oct 13, 2018 10:02 PM
Jan 2018
Cartoonfaxuator said:
So can we all agree that the ending kinda came out of nowhere. Like what in the hell even happened?

I agree. The ending was pretty confusing. Still liked it a lot more than Progressive though. Even though I wasn't sure what the big picture was, I still greatly enjoyed Alternative's characters and their individual issues.
Oct 13, 2018 10:42 PM
Feb 2010
Vysarine said:

Fuck, they just left the Pets detail open-ended :(

I guess it doesn't matter since Kana pretty much reset time with a wormhole?

I like how Kana's power of absorbing robots and creating a wormhole that rebirths the world is yonic and opposed to Naota's phallic horn that protrudes robots.
SlashBriarOct 14, 2018 3:40 PM
Oct 13, 2018 11:33 PM

Jul 2017
What a lame season. Honestly. It's better than Progressive, but damn this was a major waste of time.
Oct 14, 2018 12:02 AM

Sep 2007
I loved this season and tbh, it's my favorite iteration of FLCL. The original, while enjoyable, never resonated with me, and as far as Progressive goes, I found the characters unrelatable and it was overall pretty uninteresting. Alternative, on the other hand, resonated with me very strongly. I love the girls and their friendship.

I didn't understand exactly what happened at the end there, but with FLCL that's to be expected. Kana powering up reminded me of Nono in Diebuster.
Oct 14, 2018 3:14 AM

Oct 2013
Stop repeating the "at least it's better than Progressive" meme.

It's not, this ending was dogshit, Kana is fucking annoying, the message is so in your face that it gets old.
Oct 14, 2018 4:06 AM

Jan 2017
dc22 said:

It's not, this ending was dogshit, Kana is fucking annoying, the message is so in your face that it gets old.

Maybe it's not a meme and that's how a lot of people tend to feel (?) 🤔

For me, the characters were a lot more interesting than the shit we got in Progressive.
Both shows were hamfisted with their messages and only had a handful of cool moments, but at least the characters in Alternative weren't PAINFUL to watch imo
Oct 14, 2018 4:37 AM

Apr 2016
dc22 said:

Quit acting like a petulant child and asserting that people’s “opinions” are a meme. Progressive was a fucking joke in our eyes, and this show, blunt and awkward as it can be at times, was a step in the right direction. It focused on being its own thing first while trying to keep true to its roots, it didn’t add significantly damning elements to the overal world of FLCL that do not work, it doesn’t absolutely waste characters or pointlessly pander to modern anime fans (emphasis on pointless), and it actually tries to say something new with characters whose baggage is not only clear, but relevant as well.
Oct 14, 2018 4:39 AM

Apr 2016
dapter said:
dc22 said:

For me, the characters were a lot more interesting than the shit we got in Progressive.
Both shows were hamfisted with their messages and only had a handful of cool moments, but at least the characters in Alternative weren't PAINFUL to watch imo
A-FUCKING-MEN to that! Plus, this show is actually functional as a sequel (and as an alt universe show, apparently), unlike that piece of garbage that came before.
Oct 14, 2018 4:40 AM

Apr 2016
mfw they chose to reference Diebuster with Kana’s hair color changing to bright orange as she powers up. Bleh. Either way, was a decently fun finale to a surprisingly worthwhile sequel. Progressive shouldn’t have been a thing, and instead, this should have been the one sequel that the staff poured all their efforts into creating and advertising.

I do like how the Pets situation isn’t really resolved and that she legitimately is gone for good. I do wish we got to see her react a little on the shuttle to things going on, but eh, at least it’s not some hamfisted hogwash about them being back and making up real quick like episode 5 cleverly tricked us into thinking would happen. The wormhole stuff is a bit out there given that we thought it would come from Kana’s head instead of just her forehead activating the power for an outside force wormhole to trigger. I do wish we got to see Haruko come back, getting all pissed at Kana for accidentally launching her into space as she just drives off, or something like that. But hey, it’s certainly better, more cohesive, more functional that Progressive’s finale...and Progressive in its entirety, even if this might be the weakest episode in the show. I did like how it sorta connected itself to the original in terms of space/time without actually saying anything or showing anything more than footage on Haruko’s stuff as she was thrown into the wormhole. Also, the fight scenes here are the most fluidly animated action sequences in the show, which is also leagues ahead of whatever was in Progressive, with its stilted, choppy action sequences.
CodeBlazeFateOct 14, 2018 5:34 AM
Oct 14, 2018 4:54 AM

Oct 2013
CodeBlazeFate said:

Quit acting like a petulant child and asserting that people’s “opinions” are a meme. Progressive was a fucking joke in our eyes, and this show, blunt and awkward as it can be at times, was a step in the right direction. It focused on being its own thing first while trying to keep true to its roots, it didn’t add significantly damning elements to the overal world of FLCL that do not work, it doesn’t absolutely waste characters or pointlessly pander to modern anime fans (emphasis on pointless), and it actually tries to say something new with characters whose baggage is not only clear, but relevant as well.

dapter said:

Except it wasn't it's own thing, it was just as much of a copycat as Progressive without half the over the top nature of FLCL.
Except it did pander to modern anime fans with all the cute girls doing cute things and friendship is magic.
Except the characters were MORE painful to watch, especially Kana.
Except being blunt is bad, being complex is better. Progressive had themes and characters being explored you just didn't get it or cared.

The reason behind the "at least it's better than Progressive" meme is that you wanted to like Alternative to make up for Progressive. With that mindset, everything can be perceived as better.
Oct 14, 2018 5:05 AM

Apr 2016
dc22 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

dapter said:

Except it wasn't it's own thing, it was just as much of a copycat as Progressive without half the over the top nature of FLCL.
Except it did pander to modern anime fans with all the cute girls doing cute things and friendship is magic.
Except the characters were MORE painful to watch, especially Kana.
Except being blunt is bad, being complex is better. Progressive had themes and characters being explored you just didn't get it or cared.

The reason behind the "at least it's better than Progressive" meme is that you wanted to like Alternative to make up for Progressive. With that mindset, everything can be perceived as better.
Except this show actually tackled different subject matter that was actually relevant to the narrative, and that this show didn’t just use the phone stuff wastefully and instead actually bothered to show off the sort of teen culture the girls have, with texting, phone & book bag charms. Progressive wasn’t co pled at all, it was just stupid. Whatever themes it had wasn’t explored because they were never relevant. The redundancy was worse there given that it wasn’t just setpieces, it was the overall structure, with callbacks that didn’t even work well in context as opposed to when Alternative made some of those same callbacks. Not to mention that it abused the terminology of the original to twist it into meaning something it was never meant to, and added other elements that have no internal logic or consistency to them (Jinyu, the slavery 3rd world country part of a modern Japanese city). A perfect microcosm of all of this is the tsundere line from episode 1, which is not only tacky in its own right, but downright inaccurate given how the MC wasn’t feel being tsundere, she was being as detstched as a kuudere.

I see watching actually genuine depictions of teenagers with clearly presented baggage is an issue when compared to the flatly characterized characters of Progressive.

Leave your asinine assumptions at the door. Just because we wanted to like it because Prog sucked doesn’t mean a damn thing, at least in my case. Hell, many people were worried this would be worse, and assumed so. Just because we have hopes and expectations doesn’t mean they’ll be met. I mean, many of us expected FranXX to be a fun mecha series, and it was an utter travesty that makes FLCL Progressive look like Alternative by comparison.
Oct 14, 2018 5:36 AM

Oct 2013
CodeBlazeFate said:
I mean, many of us expected FranXX to be a fun mecha series, and it was an utter travesty that makes FLCL Progressive look like Alternative by comparison.

FranXX was a fun mecha series.
It's almost like people have different tastes and shouldn't follow hatewagons.
Oct 14, 2018 6:15 AM

Apr 2016
dc22 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
I mean, many of us expected FranXX to be a fun mecha series, and it was an utter travesty that makes FLCL Progressive look like Alternative by comparison.

Perhaps for you it was, but for a lot of us (me especially, given that I co side that show to be the worst anime of 2018 so far), it was a disaster. I feel the hate is more justified with FranXX than Prog, actually. I expected fun meme stuff and cool action...and got neither.
Oct 14, 2018 6:16 AM

Dec 2017
why did they change the format from 6 episodes season to a movie?

the animation was great, but that's probably it. it's like they've tried to compensate all the shit from progressive with flashy animation. the ending was complete garbage. time reset? wormhole? what in the flying fuck?
at least haruko flew to who knows where. hopefully, not seeing her again

this was just a cheap cash grab based on nostalgic feelings from the original
Oct 14, 2018 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
CodeBlazeFate said:
dc22 said:

Perhaps for you it was, but for a lot of us (me especially, given that I co side that show to be the worst anime of 2018 so far), it was a disaster. I feel the hate is more justified with FranXX than Prog, actually. I expected fun meme stuff and cool action...and got neither.

FranXX had meme stuff and cool action sometimes, but it really wasn't about that. From the first episode it's noticebly different in tone from the usual Trigger/Imaishi zaniness.

Expectations can cripple a show's reception and in nowhere is that more apparent than on both FLCL sequels.
Oct 14, 2018 6:32 AM

Apr 2016
dc22 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

FranXX had meme stuff and cool action sometimes, but it really wasn't about that. From the first episode it's noticebly different in tone from the usual Trigger/Imaishi zaniness.

Expectations can cripple a show's reception and in nowhere is that more apparent than on both FLCL sequels.
The only meme stuff that was in the show proper was the god awful dialogue. I didn’t even find a good spectacle in this show, since the action had no weight to it, and somehow, the show wasn’t bombastic in its delivery. What I got was a total mess that stopped being funny after the first episode. It makes no sense in any angle, the characters are generally inconsistent pieces of cardboard, and the final 6 episodes are monumentally awful. As much as I dislike Progressive, nothing in that show was as bad as a majority of what I found in FranXX.

Not really, especially since a lot of people expected both of these shows to suck given that they didn’t want these two to exist. People were hopeful for Progressive cuz they didn’t like Alternative’s first episode that much, and then after that flopped for a lot of them, some of them wanted Alternative to be better. It seems more people thought it succeeded than those who felt it failed, it seems, given that this still has a higher score (and if peoplecolmecitvely found it worse, the score would reflect that regardless)
Oct 14, 2018 6:51 AM

Oct 2013
CodeBlazeFate said:
dc22 said:

The only meme stuff that was in the show proper was the god awful dialogue. I didn’t even find a good spectacle in this show, since the action had no weight to it, and somehow, the show wasn’t bombastic in its delivery. What I got was a total mess that stopped being funny after the first episode. It makes no sense in any angle, the characters are generally inconsistent pieces of cardboard, and the final 6 episodes are monumentally awful. As much as I dislike Progressive, nothing in that show was as bad as a majority of what I found in FranXX.

Not really, especially since a lot of people expected both of these shows to suck given that they didn’t want these two to exist. People were hopeful for Progressive cuz they didn’t like Alternative’s first episode that much, and then after that flopped for a lot of them, some of them wanted Alternative to be better. It seems more people thought it succeeded than those who felt it failed, it seems, given that this still has a higher score (and if peoplecolmecitvely found it worse, the score would reflect that regardless)

We'll see, people are just now finishing Alternative.
After this finale I will be surprised if it doesn't drop bellow 7.
Oct 14, 2018 7:16 AM

Sep 2008
As I was dreading, the finale for this turned out to be one big mess. The situation with Pets looked unresolved, we don't know what happened with the wealthy elite that were going to Mars as Kana's power erupted (same with what happens with Haruko), and the series contradicts the lesson it was attempting to push with "things can't always be the same" in regards to Kana's view of the world as things pretty much stay the same. This felt like the complete opposite of Progressive for me as it seemed Production IG was stretching themselves thin with trying out two simultaneous animated projects for FLCL as one was one of the better continuations of a decade-plus old anime I've seen in recent years (that says something with my lukewarm response to such titles like the 2010s Berserk TV anime and Cardcaptor Sakura's Clear Card Arc) and the other was struggling to attempt anything with the plot elements and themes of the prior two titles.

Looks like there's a good deal of hate for Progressive on here, which is the opposite reaction I had toward it as I loved it and yet find myself hating where Alternative took things with FLCL.
Oct 14, 2018 7:22 AM

Jun 2007
uninstallthegame said:
why did they change the format from 6 episodes season to a movie?

Because they're dumb and counting it as a movie because it barely screened in theaters as a whole before the official Toonami premiere date. (Literally the day before.)

Airing a TV show in a theater doesn't automatically make it a movie... unless you're MAL or AniDB. At least ANN has sense enough to list them separately.
Oct 14, 2018 9:27 AM

Aug 2013
Not as bad as Progressive but both were trash anyways so who cares...
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Oct 14, 2018 10:03 AM

May 2015
I could've rewatched Gunbuster.

Oct 14, 2018 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I really liked this season. Of course it wasn't as great as the original, but I thought it at least captured some of the craziness and emotion that the first season had. I also liked the characters in this season much more than the characters in Progressive.
Oct 14, 2018 4:42 PM

Mar 2014
Yes yes let the toxic MAL comments begin...when in the end, both series were arguably Crap.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 14, 2018 5:10 PM
Oct 2017
dc22 said:

Progressive was objectively terrible though. Not one bit of good writing there, Alternative is actually a lot closer spiritually to the original than Progressive tried so hard to be.
Oct 15, 2018 1:42 AM

Oct 2012
I thought that Progressive tried too hard to be like FLCL.
Now I think that Alternative didn't try hard enough lol.
Oct 15, 2018 2:39 AM

Aug 2008
dc22 said:

Honestly Progressive was significantly more forgivable within the context of Alternative since it becomes clear that the concept for expanding FLCL was to consider it a work about the struggles of grade school thus positioning Progressive and Alternative as works about the struggles of Middle School and High School respectively. Through this lens, the original series is vaguely about wanting to be grown up and accepting that you're too young. This positions Progressive as a series about the legitimate struggles of actually growing and Alternative as a series about being grown and failing to meet that standard.

Unfortunately, this attempt somewhat misses the scope of the original series, which already contrasts the struggles of growth with the futility of attempting to hold onto youth. It also somewhat addresses the pain of transitioning into a young adult through the relationship of Naota's Brother and Mamimi. This is why Alternative resonates so much better with the original than Progressive; it's mostly retracting ground that's implied through Mamimi's character while Progressive is largely an attempt at something that wasn't explored in the original.

The problem is that what Progressive attempts isn't something that works within the context of FLCL, AND the way it chooses to attempt it mostly fails to be engaging. The primary issue is that the protagonist is functionally mute (which admittedly expresses the way children in that age range are often stunted by their perceived awkwardness) and despite this spends very little time narrating, less than either of the other two main characters. She also has relatively minor interaction with the supporting cast when compared to the original or alternative. We never really get to know this character and thus can't filter the relatively high amount of conflict that Progressive displays through her in a way that allows any of it to be emotionally impactful.

Alternative is able to call back to the original through the contract between Kana/Mamimi and Naota/Kana's Brother instead of basically just being connected through Haruko. The only real issue with the ending is that it doesn't provide a resolution for Haruko who honestly probably shouldn't have been involved as a primary character in the first place. I think it would have been much more interesting if Alternative either involved Atomsk filling her role as a counterpoint or at least functioned as a conclusive conclusion to Haruko's story, thus positioning the overall product of FLCL as Haruko's story.
Oct 15, 2018 6:02 AM
Jan 2017
This was a brilliant ending to this anime, great amount of feels
Oct 16, 2018 11:12 AM

Oct 2017
Both were dog shit honestly.
Alternative had better characters and the first 5 episodes were pretty good.
But progressive had a better ending. And a somewhat better story.
Both main characters were lame and progressive she was emotionless, in this one kuna is an emotional childish wreck.

And then this ending where they throw in well things can never stay the change and have the original fooly cooly flashing on the moped and haruko.

Hoenstly what the hell, the fact they just gave the worst ending in fooly cooly history compared to the train wreck progressive was. And then had the audacity to reference the original like they were hip with the new times and we had to accept it.

Like no, you had the opportunity to be better then progressive and wasted it on the worlds shittiest ending. Neither could of surpassed the original, but alternative could at least had made an impact.
But they threw it away and now were left with two mediocre piles of shit.
Oct 20, 2018 12:04 AM
Dec 2016
I have to say that both Progressive and Alternative were terrible sequel/prequel to the original but, if I try to forget the relation to the original series, Alternative was slightly more enjoyable than Progressive to me.
Both series has tons of flaws here and there. Progressive, however, doesn't have any kind of entertainment value to me. I'm not even sure what I was supposed to feel from Progressive.
Alternative's message was so blunt and lame. Tohoku earthquake reference annoyed me even more. But I could get what they wanted to do in Alternative. Pets' plot was poorly handled but I felt like "this plot could be fun if some other creators did it".
Oct 28, 2018 11:57 AM
Oct 2018
I still really love Production IG’s attempt at the Trigger esque sakuga scenes of Gainax’s original, but I think what Progressive and Alternative truly lacked was depth and heart. FLCL original felt like it started off as an incredibly well animated joke for a bunch of talented voice actors and artists to relax on, but quickly proved all of us wrong with amazing depth and characters that are memorable FOREVER. Nothing captures this better than the Pillows music, which captures the show’s tone perfectly.
Meanwhile these new seasons mostly reuse music from the old show (no matter how great the new stuff is) just like the whole idea of the show rehashes old ideas without ever being as memorable or deep. How absolutely fitting.
Even then, I didn’t HATE, these seasons. Still gonna give them a 7 purely because of how much I loved the sakuga moments.
Nov 4, 2018 5:27 PM

Mar 2014
So, was the middle-aged man in the soba shop... Naota? It kind of struck me at one point in this episode when he was talking with Haruko and they were talking about how he took up smoking when he had turned 17, almost like they knew each other when he was younger. The scene also made it seem like they had a lot of history together.
They never did mention his name throughout this whole season, though, did they?
I was waiting for the big reveal towards the end, but... nothing came of it. I still think it's pretty plausible, though... especially with how similar they look, and how much Amuro was trying to recruit Naota in the original OVA.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 4, 2018 10:11 PM
Nov 2018
To all the people that wanted more FLCL isn't this what you wanted? Are not enter not entertained!!
Dec 16, 2018 9:13 AM

Aug 2009
Neko-Hoshishima said:
Kana powering up reminded me of Nono in Diebuster.

YES! That's exactly like Diebuster and I Fn love it! They even use the term "Exotic reaction" that is a direct reference of "Exotic Maneuver" from Top Wo Nerae 2 (they EVEN come up with the scene where she take off the seal from her forehead!!!)

And it came up right after the Haruko Akira bike reference too lol!

I dunno about you, but FLCL and Gunbuster series are my favorite shows of all time and I trully think they did a great job with Alternative here! It's not a masterpiece as FLCL was now that Gainax and it's staff are pretty much "gone", but I feel they captured the feeling pretty good and came up with a real cool thing that gave me chills in some parts.

I liked Progressive too, but it has a bunch of flaws and did not capture the feeling well, the spirit at all. But Alternative was a cool ride. Really. Very happy that I gave it a chance after all. Thank you staff.
NikoCat11Dec 16, 2018 9:17 AM
Dec 16, 2018 9:36 AM

Aug 2009
vigorousjammer said:
So, was the middle-aged man in the soba shop... Naota? It kind of struck me at one point in this episode when he was talking with Haruko and they were talking about how he took up smoking when he had turned 17, almost like they knew each other when he was younger. The scene also made it seem like they had a lot of history together.
They never did mention his name throughout this whole season, though, did they?
I was waiting for the big reveal towards the end, but... nothing came of it. I still think it's pretty plausible, though... especially with how similar they look, and how much Amuro was trying to recruit Naota in the original OVA.

Oh, I feel the same. Don't think they mentioned his name too. I like how things keep unexplained at the end though, instead of literally trying to explain every message and so all the time (like they unfortunetelly did a lot in these new seasons, kind of underestimating the public's intelligence and creativity, but).

Leave things kind of open feels more like a FLCL type thing and, if done correctly, makes things more interesting imo.

EDIT: His name is Kanda... Just realized oops
NikoCat11Dec 16, 2018 11:05 AM
Dec 27, 2018 10:52 AM

Oct 2010
what a shame. I loved episode 1 but it was pretty downhill from there. I liked the character-specific stories and what not but the overall plot was just a rehash. The theme they were going for was a great idea but executed poorly. I liked the c characters a lot. I really didn't expect a lot out of these "official fanfics" (cuz that's really what they are) but they managed to surprise me with how lackluster they ended up being. Well, Progressive was outright garbage IMO. At least this one had good ideas.
Dec 30, 2018 6:35 AM

Jul 2012
Don't know, i liked this season, it wasn't obviously great, but i enjoyed it. Progressive in comparison to this feels so bad. Sadly very random and weird ending ...

Liked the theme for this one, more modern style about 4 cute girls while i think it might be not that popular now.

"May the force be with" the best moment for me =/ The fight with BumbleBee was rather strange.

I think overall around 7/10 even with better ending.
Mar 1, 2019 7:28 AM

Mar 2016
Finally got around to watching the whole thing. First of all, Kana is ridiculously cute, and I really like the way they decided to structure the 'movie' around her and her friends, with each episode about one of them, but really being a mirror for Kana to see her own self-image. However, this is a case of the whole being stronger than any of its individual parts. I liked this ending a lot though, and I thought Pets leaving was more emotional than anything in the original FLCL.

The original was about looking for a change in mundane daily life, which in the early 2000s was something a lot of young people could relate to. All of these years later, we have the opposite, a girl at the end of her high-school career who doesn't want her daily life to change. Very Abenobashi, and very nice to see. I think now that I'm older, and nostalgia is ever-present, I can identify with Kana more than I can with Naota.

It's funny to see people complaining about story elements in this. FLCL was never about connecting all of the story threads. There is no 'good ending' for adolescence.
I hate nostalgiafags who won't give anything a chance.
syncrogazerMar 5, 2019 3:27 PM
Mar 2, 2019 5:55 AM

Sep 2009
@ bbobjs & syncrogazer
Well Said, I whole heartily agree on all points. Awash in a sea of short-sighted subjective hate are a few beacons of objective rational thought. Thanks for the posts, I feel a little less alone regarding how I interpreted FLCL. Bravo my otaku brothers/sisters you rock!

Westside209Mar 2, 2019 6:08 AM
Jun 2, 2019 4:24 AM

Sep 2009
Kinda conflicted. It's leagues better then Progressive and I found myself actually cheering for it to keep it up. It stuck close to the original but was different enough that it can stand on it's own bearings (especially enjoyed the homages). The one thorn I have is when I think of FLCL it inevitably comes back to that picture perfect ending. Where everything isn't necessarily answered but there's this satisfaction in knowing that you were there along for the ride.

The ending for Alternative was....okay? I feel like they went further then they had to if they were aiming towards something abstract. On the other hand if they were trying to tie things up concisely then the visuals might be a bit confusing. I'll definitely go back for another viewing and see what else was under the hood.

That notion of multiple viewings is in itself closer to FLCL than anything Progressive did. It gets a thumbs up from me just for that.
Jun 10, 2019 9:01 AM

Oct 2010
I liked Progressive, it was a cute love story and Haruko was crazy as hell, but this one was disappointing, all the girls were horrible with their pseudo-drama, Hidomi was cool with her edgy stuff 3/10 (merciful). I don't wanna hear about this abomination.
Jun 28, 2019 8:19 AM

Jul 2013
What the hell? I watched Alternative expecting that I'd give it a lower score because of how utterly disappointed I was with Progressive. I thought it couldn't get any worse than it but this was surprisingly good?

First of all, the art and animation improved a lot from Progressive. They look more fluid compared to how stiff Progressive was and the art has a lot of depth in it unlike Progressive where they looked really flat and lacked shading.

This is definitely a new take on FLCL (staying true to its name Alternative) and I love it. As always with the 1st season, the space stuff is just a backdrop for the core theme of the show. The characters aren't adolescents this time but emerging adults facing the realities of life. Unlike Progressive where I hated the whole cast, I absolutely loved the whole cast in Alternative. They had chemistry with each other and were a fun bunch. They really felt like real friends. Their interactions are very genuine and I laughed a lot with this show.

Each character's story was handled well and tied to Kana's own problems. Acting like real adults, pursuing your dream and losing important things to you... they all go back to Kana. She wants things to stay as they are and has a hard time accepting the fact that change is constant in this world. Friends do hide stuff from you and they do think you're obnoxious from time to time. People drift apart without you knowing and it was shown perfectly in the show. Tomomi blends well with them but at the same time, you can see that she's different enough from them. Although we didn't get any concrete conclusion of her, but I like that we didn't actually because it showed us that she was done with it all and was just ready to move on. Kana's story was resolved perfectly. I think she has finally accepted in the end that not everyone will like you and that's okay but she was still thankful for having a friend like Tomomi.

Another good thing in the show is Haruko being likable again. She was insufferable in Progressive but now she's actually the selfish yet still endearing character we knew from the 1st season and she ties very well to each girls' struggles. It was a nostalgic feeling from the 1st season with Naota.

Soundtrack is great as always. Credits to The Pillows.
Dull_LullJun 28, 2019 8:22 AM
Jul 13, 2019 2:18 PM

Oct 2017
It definitely was different while keeping some elements from the original. I liked the more female life/problem focus with the group and how Pets isn't "fully" resolved because things like this do happen in real life. I will say I disliked the characters though and the ending was different from what I thought but not good. Overall it just feels like another show among the pool to choose from.
Feb 15, 2020 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
Tomomi why you gotta do Kana like that. Bitch.
Mar 8, 2020 5:27 AM

Aug 2008
I do think it was a step up from Progressive but that isn't really difficult to do. Characters were more interesting to me though their stupid problems did feel like they belonged in another anime entirely. The ending was certainly out of nowhere and nonsensical with the power of love creating a laser beam opening a wormhole or something. Whatever. Both Progressive and Alternative will never be watched by me again, only the original is worth remembering and getting repeat viewings imo.
Mar 23, 2020 6:28 PM

Aug 2017
Well, that was ok, I guess. A couple of references to Eva and Diebuster, fine. The ending felt kinda abrupt though. I also noticed that both sequels made the music significantly louder, what the hell? The Pillows are worth being as loud as possible :-[

Anyway, this sequel at least managed to deliver on its narrative, as simple as it was. Obviously better than Progressive, but than again, anything would be better than this atrocity. Alternative is just...mediocre, I guess? Haruko's role is not nearly as big here as in the original. Probably the best thing about both sequels is the ED for Alternative, it's just great.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TrishaCat - Mar 31, 2018

77 by MxS7HGS »»
May 16, 2023 7:14 PM

» The Show is Ruined Because of Haruko

GennosukeKouga - Jul 3, 2020

2 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 5 Discussion

Vysarine - Oct 6, 2018

14 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 4 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 29, 2018

16 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 3 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 22, 2018

15 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.