Forum Settings
Forums

Share and discuss your unpopular perspectives on highly-acclaimed anime series

New
Oct 10, 2018 7:56 AM

Sep 2017
Please specify your reasons for your opinions.

Mine:

1) Code Geass' ending is bad because it rests on an over-simplistic view on the nature of political conflict.

2) Shingeki no Kyojin is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists.

3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

4) Shirobako has painted a way too idealized picture of the industry and actively avoided dapping into any controversial topic like workplace politics. Most dramatic conflicts in the show is about opposing artistic opinions or personal struggle in reaching artistic height, not a single decision that was made by the staff of Musashino Animation was based on commercial, financial, or any other non-artistic consideration.

5) Kimi no Na wa. is a mediocre anime that mixes popular cliches in anime (gender swap, time-traveling, sekaikei) but have nothing unique to say. The romance between two persons who never met and interact directly is so unconvincing and underdeveloped that it looks like it's written by someone who have zero romantic experience in real life.

6) Nagi no Asu kara is boring and messy. The characters are flat and cliched. They seem to have nothing else to care in their life other than being sad about their position in the love polygon. The supernatural setting of the show is very contrived and it serves no other function than conveniently cause a stir whenever the dynamic of the love polygon is running into a dead-end.

7) K-On! is a genuinely great show because of its attention to details and its very subtle way to develop its characters.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2018 8:12 AM

Feb 2018
FmaB the two Mcs are uninteresting characters and the final fight is boring.
Oct 10, 2018 8:22 AM

Apr 2018
"Aot is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists"

This ain't it mate
Oct 10, 2018 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
1) Re: Zero:

-Sets up no direction to where the plot is supposed to go.
-The author confuses being irrational with being completely stupid, which is why Subaru is retarded.
-The show attempts to "subvert" isekai cliches, while indulging itself in them (ie surrounding the mc with cute girls).
-Almost no backstory is given to the MC.

2) Attack On Titan: tries so hard to be intense by having constant big threats and having the characters scream every damn episode, ironically, makes the show boring. Also, none of the characters who die are remotely interesting.

3) Garden of Sinners: while I enjoy this series, it's up-it's-ass with how hard it tries to be "philosophical", causing the dialogue to come off as forced and unnatural. Not helping are the boring characters that have 0 charisma/charm.

4) Bakemonogatari: like Garden of Sinners, it's up its ass, but borderline masterbates to how much it force-feeds "complex" dialogue, resulting in characters who don't talk realistically in any way at all. Still, it's a fun show.
Oct 10, 2018 8:42 AM

Aug 2016
CHC said:

Mine:

1) Code Geass' ending is bad because it rests on an over-simplistic view on the nature of political conflict.

2) Shingeki no Kyojin is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists.

3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

4) Shirobako has painted a way too idealized picture of the industry and actively avoided dapping into any controversial topic like workplace politics. Most dramatic conflicts in the show is about opposing artistic opinions or personal struggle in reaching artistic height, not a single decision that was made by the staff of Musashino Animation was based on commercial, financial, or any other non-artistic consideration.

5) Kimi no Na wa. is a mediocre anime that mixes popular cliches in anime (gender swap, time-traveling, sekaikei) but have nothing unique to say. The romance between two persons who never met and interact directly is so unconvincing and underdeveloped that it looks like it's written by someone who have zero romantic experience in real life.

6) Nagi no Asu kara is boring and messy. The characters are flat and cliched. They seem to have nothing else to care in their life other than being sad about their position in the love polygon. The supernatural setting of the show is very contrived and it serves no other function than conveniently cause a stir whenever the dynamic of the love polygon is running into a dead-end.

7) K-On! is a genuinely great show because of its attention to details and its very subtle way to develop its characters.

your perspective on AoT is unpopular now, but it will be popular after some decades when the hype decreases
:v
Oct 10, 2018 8:47 AM
Sep 2018
xShinigami3125 said:

I'm glad someone said this.

They really are boring characters and getting their bodies back wasn't something i actually looked forward to.
The only good fight in my opinion was the Scar vs. Bradley fight
Profile views make me feel loved
Oct 10, 2018 8:54 AM

Sep 2018
Daestair said:
xShinigami3125 said:

They really are boring characters and getting their bodies back wasn't something i actually looked forward to.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I watched it a while back and thought maybe I missed something, why is it so popular, maybe I just didn't get it? It didn't "tickle my fancy"

Oct 10, 2018 8:58 AM

Mar 2016
This thread smells like a potential salt mine, but who knows, maybe this will be an agreeable and wholesome discussion where rather than, you have shit taste, die, we'll see, you have the tastiest shit taste.
Oct 10, 2018 8:59 AM

Sep 2017
one piece is extremely boring 70-80% of times.
Oct 10, 2018 9:04 AM

Nov 2008
Revolutionary Girl Utena is probably the most pretentious Shamalyn-esque artsy-"ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS" crap I've ever seen in the anime-verse. >_>

Oct 10, 2018 9:16 AM

Oct 2017
FMA:B is bad because of it's shitty antagonist. FMA was better
Oct 10, 2018 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
K-on seemed utterly boring to me
you don't understand how upset i was then i found out that it had more than one season.
Oct 10, 2018 9:30 AM
Sep 2018
Pewpewnathieboo said:
Daestair said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I watched it a while back and thought maybe I missed something, why is it so popular, maybe I just didn't get it? It didn't "tickle my fancy"

Oh my god! "tickle my fancy" is the phrase i've been looking for a million years now. Thank you. Imma use it all the time now
Oct 10, 2018 9:33 AM

Sep 2017
MichaelJackson said:
CHC said:

Mine:

your perspective on AoT is unpopular now, but it will be popular after some decades when the hype decreases

I guess so. People's perception of a show is highly influenced by their perception of its fanbase. People who don't want to be associate with superficial teenage AoT fans will continue to find reasons to hate the show until the association no longer holds.
Oct 10, 2018 9:41 AM

Sep 2017
Salamak said:

I'm a manga reader only. I dropped that shortly after the 3-years time skip, partly because I've grown too old for Shounen manga, partly because the narrative structure of OP is too repetitive (new island -> problems -> bad guys -> flashback -> everything solved by beating up the bad guys) and I was seeing bad signs (the introduction of the gear system).
btw I don't really know any one of my generation (around 25-30 yo now) is still keeping up with OP.
Oct 10, 2018 9:51 AM

Sep 2017
Chiibi said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena is probably the most pretentious Shamalyn-esque artsy-"ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS" crap I've ever seen in the anime-verse. >_>

I'm still on 2/3 of the whole series. But I also feel the show is kinda overrated. Even though I like its style, it's themes and narrative structure is simply too repetitive for so many episodes.
The stories of the individual characters is OK but they doesn't seem to add up to anything. Not to mention the fact that Utena for the most of the time only has nothing to do but beating up other duelists.

I have problems with Mawaru Penguindrum too. In fact I think Revue Starlight (directed by Ikuhara's pupil) is better than both of them.
Oct 10, 2018 9:57 AM
Sep 2018
Chiibi said:

Yes i does seem very pretentious but i haven't completed it, so i guess i dont get to talk xD
Oct 10, 2018 10:05 AM

Nov 2008
CHC said:
Chiibi said:

I'm still on 2/3 of the whole series. But I also feel the show is kinda overrated.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH it really issssssssssss xD

The ending is dumb too.....meh "best shoujo series my ass". It kinda takes everything good about shoujo and craps on it, imho.

Oct 10, 2018 10:07 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Trigun The overall story is good but it's seriously dull for the first 17 episodes, I don't care if it needed all that set up, the pay off wasn't it.

Naruto Shouldn't have been hokage, it's a cop out ending.

Anohana One of the worst dramas I ever watched, the cast is petty and intolerable, Menma and Jinta are the only saving grace, the whole series should've been about them.
Oct 10, 2018 10:29 AM

Sep 2017
A few unpopular comments about Log Horizon too: too much exposition and info dump. The politics of the show is simplistic. The plot is highly predictable but everything drags too long to get to the obvious point. (E.g. Shiroe will buy the guild building; Minori's team needs better teamwork; Akatsuki needs to cooperate with others, etc.) The character development is linear and moralising ("be open to your friends", "never give up", etc.) and are done in a very clumsy way -- by letting the viewer to listen to their lengthy monologues. The whole show basically only focus on one type of person in any depth: introverts who have problems with being open to others. The battle strategy isn't amazing nor the action scene good. "Better than SAO" is a very low bar actually...
Oct 10, 2018 10:30 AM

May 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin Too much plot twist bait. It makes you think they will reveal some actual info next episode but they never do and when they do somehow they become obsolete and now we have to pursue the new info.

Shirobako people like it just because it's about the anime industry otherwise it would be just a lame and forgettable show. Without the meta of an anime about making anime this anime is mediocre.

Kimi no Na wa did a lame gender swap like some other B american movies did but filled it with even more nonsense. I was emotional but empty. Omg is that the red string of fate? It got used just like 1000 times in anime.

Stens;Gate Okabe doesn't have a personality, what we see for 2/3 of the series is just a facade and the other 1/3 he's just being an emo protagonist ("saving the world but I am so sad"). The tuturu resets were rushed executing the the details poorly (we see Okabe getting capture then just casually running away/ at first he needs like a minute to use the helmet but there are some instances he just puts it on.)

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2018 10:33 AM

Mar 2018
Kimi No Na Wa: Uses a trope that was anything but new and has already been used in movies such as "Il Mare" and its US counterpart "The Lake House" starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. The biggest sin is that there is zero chemistry between the two main characters and also there is very little real connection between the two. The art is gorgeous and it has some nice bits and pieces but overall the movie is IMHO overhyped and easily beaten by movies such as "A Silent Voice".

SnK: I used to love the fact that SnK sneaked in some real social and political criticism and was a lot deeper than it may look from the outside. Problem is that it feels as if the show has lost its way and we are now fumbling our way to the end. What could have been a great show about a society that is on the verge of collapse (due to the possible extinction of the human race but also political and religious infighting) and has to make some tough choices has ended up again in a rather boring fight for power between two nations. How utterly boring.

Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the storytelling it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.
huntress1013Oct 10, 2018 10:36 AM
Oct 10, 2018 10:36 AM

May 2015
huntress1013 said:
Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the story it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.
Or adapted when Otomo actually had developed how the story would end. The anime airs 2 years before the end of the manga without counting the time the movie was in production already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2018 10:39 AM

Jan 2017
CHC said:

And i also would like to point out one thing :- Its Incomplete.

Oct 10, 2018 10:39 AM

Sep 2017
ProfessionalNEET said:

Clannad Decent show, but would have been a lot better if the characters weren't so moe.

I dropped Clannad after 3 episode because I couldn't bear with that highschool girl who acts like she's 5. It's actually kinda offensive to me when the MC is supposed to romance with a girl with the mental age of 5. It's morally repugnant.

And the humour seems to consist in having MC's male buddy violently kicked around by the MC's harem. It's very distasteful for me.

I have similar problems with everything else done by Key: Little Busters, Angel Beats, Charlotte. The characters in those show never seem to have any realism in them.
Oct 10, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 is better than FMAB because of the final act of both series. I found the twist of our world powering alchemy being very intriguing and more impactful. The villains and the homunculi are also more interesting. Especially Lust and Envy who don't feel as one dimensional as FMAB. Despite what others say, I think the plot felt tighter in the first adaptation. Things that happened at the beginning of the anime felt relevant throughout the entire shows run and didn't try introducing a lot of characters and concepts. Also, I prefer so technicalities that 03 had like the Character designs, music, and directing.

Some dude is gonna be livid to what I just said...
Oct 10, 2018 10:46 AM

Sep 2017
zal said:

Stens;Gate Okabe doesn't have a personality, what we see for 2/3 of the series is just a facade and the other 1/3 he's just being an emo protagonist ("saving the world but I am so sad"). The tuturu resets were rushed executing the the details poorly (we see Okabe getting capture then just casually running away/ at first he needs like a minute to use the helmet but there are some instances he just puts it on.)

I guess you're talking about S;G Zero? S;G0 is really a huge disappointment. It got so highly rated only because of its prequel. S;G0 has nothing new to offer that S;G has not. I felt pointless watching it. S;G itself was rather complete already.

btw, I think the first half of S;G is actually better than the second half (my another unpopular perspective).
Oct 10, 2018 10:54 AM

Sep 2017
Immovable-Object said:
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 is better than FMAB because of the final act of both series. I found the twist of our world powering alchemy being very intriguing and more impactful.

When I first watched that twist while I was a 13 yo kid it did leave a very strong impression to me and I still remember that to date. I haven't watch Brotherhood tho. But I have already forgotten what happened in the ending of the manga, which I had re-read just last year. Probably something more coherent and less out of the place but also less memorable?

Perhaps it's just my own quirkiness. I might not find the 2003 ending as impressive now if I ever re-watch it.
Oct 10, 2018 11:04 AM

Sep 2017
silent_knight98 said:
CHC said:

And i also would like to point out one thing :- Its Incomplete.

Yes, I think it's better to ends in a tragic tone with Lelouch's atonement (in a more reasonable way) whereas the conflict in the world continues despite some signs of hope. Fate/Zero has done something like that and I loved it. It's always silly to force your way through to a "world peace", "everyone's happy" ending in a show very serious about war and conflict, because such plot can never be convincing as long as we live in a shitty world.
Oct 10, 2018 11:07 AM

Nov 2008
Immovable-Object said:

Some dude is gonna be livid to what I just said...

Lol nah. We can discuss this civilly. I dislike 03's ending because I hate the whole "let's separate characters....just because." It feels very unresolved to me. It felt like they were making it up as they go along. I like everything in the series BUT that ending.

Oct 10, 2018 11:10 AM

Jul 2017
Without the final 10 or so episodes, FMA:B is a pretty boring show

Forest of Fireflies is way too short and the climax happens way too quickly

A Place Further than the Universe just randomly throws in drama in the last few eps for emotional attachment

EDIT: Wow never realized this thread is just turning into a FMA:B shitshow
Short_CircutOct 11, 2018 5:39 PM
Oct 10, 2018 11:17 AM

Jun 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's ending is terrible. Boring, predictable, and elementary. And don't make me try and count how many plot holes there are.

Koe no Katachi is probably the most boring anime movie I've watched. Why do people even compare it to Kimi no na wa? Kimi no na wa is also overrated in the plot and characters aspect, but at least its visuals and sound are praiseworthy.

Stripes said:

Anohana One of the worst dramas I ever watched, the cast is petty and intolerable, Menma and Jinta are the only saving grace, the whole series should've been about them.

Anohana: I could never have expected to be as little attached (no, actually, so completely unattached) to MCs of a drama/sad anime as I have been to Menma and Jinta, with the exception of Koe no Katachi. But I mean, people are attached to different characters so I'm not invalidating your opinion. Just stating that I feel the opposite.

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Oct 10, 2018 11:20 AM
Apr 2017
isnt this yet another why do you find these highly rated anime good cause i dont threads
Oct 10, 2018 11:22 AM

Nov 2008
Oh I've got one:

Grave of the Fireflies IS MANIPULATIVE AS F*CK. It kinda annoys me. Sage of Anime Abandon put it best:

"We're not sad because we're attached to the characters. We're sad because we're watching children die".

And he's damn right. Critics praise the hell out of this thing....but I've seen WAY better directed, characterized sad anime than this. (tear-jerkers are like my favorite genre; are you kidding me lol)

Oct 10, 2018 11:30 AM

Dec 2017
NeoLegendX said:
isnt this yet another why do you find these highly rated anime good cause i dont threads

It kinda is isn't it...

I guess you could find an unpopular opinion about why you think a highly acclaimed show is good.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 10, 2018 11:34 AM

Mar 2017
Steins Gate could've been better if there had been no harem element.
Oct 10, 2018 11:34 AM

Oct 2014
Hunter x Hunter The Chimera Ant arc is the worst part of the anime and i wish it never happened.

The premise (Queen) is the silliest MacGuffin i've ever seen in an anime. The arc is filled with the worst amount of violations of show don't tell, there are many 'big moments' that happen just to happen for the plot and carry no emotional weight or just make zero sense. The entire arc makes no sense.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 10, 2018 11:41 AM

May 2009
Well I've posted the first two numerous times elsewhere, except the Gunbuster one because I don't feel as strongly about that one.

1) End of Evangelion betrays the core plotline of Neon Genesis Evangelion, while being nihilistically disappointing, both in-universe and also out-of-universe. It resolves rising tension by throwing it all into a fire and burning it. The TV ending, on the other hand, resolves rising tension by giving a true "after-the-end" scenario complete with absolutely stunning interface screw, yet also preserves the focus on Shinji's character development, which -- rather than the mechs or the fate of NERV -- is the core plotline of the series.

2) Puella Magi Madoka Magica is dry and wordy, doesn't properly present the setting (lots of telling without showing), doesn't have enough time to let us really get comfortable with the characters before throwing major plot events at us, seems to contradict its own setting rules, and pulls its off-the-rails ending out of nowhere.

3) Gunbuster is...okay. People told me that it's amazing, it's got an amazing story, it's very important to the industry (as it defined the "Gainaxing" trope, i.e. boobs bouncing), and it even does interesting things with time dilation in the story. I watched it with some friends and...ehh. I felt it was neither particularly great nor particularly bad.

Also, these don't warrant individual items but I guess I'll list them.

(incomplete) list of famous anime series I don't care to watch:
* Death Note - I don't like the premise
* Code Geass - protag is reportedly a douchebag, and character art is weird
* Utena - character art is very weird, and the premise also seems weird
* Kill la Kill - I don't like exaggerated humor or fanservice, and this show's whole point is to turn both up to eleven.
* Lucky Star - basically otaku culture jokes.
* Space Dandy - main character is annoying.
* No Game No Life - main characters are annoying.
* Sword Art Online - I don't like the premise
* Attack on Titan - I don't like the premise
GlennMagusHarveyOct 10, 2018 1:08 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 10, 2018 11:46 AM

Oct 2012
I hate the pacing of gurren lagan, kill la kill and the monogatari series.
ChromephoneOct 10, 2018 11:50 AM
Oct 10, 2018 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
- Devilman Crybaby > The original Devilman manga
- FMA 03 is a masterpiece and did certain things better than Brotherhood
- Kimi no Na Wa, while damn good, is incredibly overrated due to its lackluster characterization
- High School DxD would've worked better if it didn't take itself seriously at all
- The Black Rose arc in Revolutionary Girl Utena was excellent
- Shelter was nothing special
- The religious imagery in Evangelion doesn't symbolize shit. It's just there to imbue the show with an apocalyptic atmosphere. The core of the show's appeal for me is the multifaceted cast of characters.
Take care of yourself

Oct 10, 2018 11:56 AM

Sep 2017
CHC said:
Salamak said:

I'm a manga reader only. I dropped that shortly after the 3-years time skip, partly because I've grown too old for Shounen manga, partly because the narrative structure of OP is too repetitive (new island -> problems -> bad guys -> flashback -> everything solved by beating up the bad guys) and I was seeing bad signs (the introduction of the gear system).
btw I don't really know any one of my generation (around 25-30 yo now) is still keeping up with OP.

i don't really enjoy shounen as well, well jump shounen kind of shounen, AOT and death note are shounen too..
but my problem with one piece is lack of characterization. except for robin and somewhat nami, everybody else are extremely shallow and i can't feel anything for them at all.
and that running nose when they cry is really a problem, it's suppose to be a feels trip but it's so disgusting i just can't ignore it.
and it took over 550 chapters for this manga to kill somebody, no one ever dies in this series, no matter who they are.

i enjoy shows like bnha far more than op, because i know how the protag feels how he thinks, what's the reason behind his actions, he is more human to me.
i know about others characters to a extent as well, meaning i actually care what happens to them or what they do.
Oct 10, 2018 11:59 AM
Apr 2017
FeministSenpai said:
Steins Gate could've been better if there had been no harem element.

i have to agree with that
as if hot girls who can fulfill their fetish needs are everywhere you go
great story tho
Oct 10, 2018 12:00 PM

Aug 2018
It has been already said but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's ending is the typical-shonenesque ending, boring, predictable, happy. I really enjoyed the series but I find its ending flawed.

Death Note starts good but when Light leaves the Death Note it starts getting stupid. I can't understand how every single step (even the ones left to pure causality) the guy with the notebook did was planned by a fucking teenager. I found it unrealistic; yeah, unrealistic talking about a show where you can kill writing a name in a sheet of paper.
Oct 10, 2018 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
Pewpewnathieboo said:
Daestair said:

I'm not going to try to change your opinion on FMA, but I would like to tell you why it's appealed to so many people, including me.

1) FMA's whole setting is unconventional: 20th century European settings in anime do exist, but they're not combined with a steampunk, sci-fi, way.

2) The whole idea of FMA is original, but familiar enough: the idea of a pair of brothers trying to get their bodies back is original. BUT, it's also familiar enough, in that it makes it easy to empathize and root for the brothers.

3) The way FMA's plot evolves: I remember being amazed the way Brotherhood went from just being about two brothers, to being about an entire country.

4) FMA's overall TONE. The aesthetics, the characters' personalities, aren't so unique from what we expect from anime that it alienates the average viewer. BUT they're also more mature than the average, say, high school battle anime.

ThatRazorGuy said:
- Devilman Crybaby > The original Devilman manga
- FMA 03 is a masterpiece and did certain things better than Brotherhood
- Kimi no Na Wa, while damn good, is incredibly overrated due to its lackluster characterization
- High School DxD would've worked better if it didn't take itself seriously at all
- The Black Rose arc in Revolutionary Girl Utena was excellent
- Shelter was nothing special
- The religious imagery in Evangelion doesn't symbolize shit. It's just there to imbue the show with an apocalyptic atmosphere. The core of the show's appeal for me is the multifaceted cast of characters.

I can barely recall Highschool DXD ever taking itself seriously. I didn't take the religious imagery in Eva as imagery; I took it as being literal.

@GlennMagusHarvey

I'm very curious. What don't you like about the premises of SAO, AOT, and Death Note? I think the people I've seen who hate the shows, at least have agreed that the ideas of the shows were awesome.

Chiibi said:
Oh I've got one:

Grave of the Fireflies IS MANIPULATIVE AS F*CK. It kinda annoys me. Sage of Anime Abandon put it best:

"We're not sad because we're attached to the characters. We're sad because we're watching children die".

And he's damn right. Critics praise the hell out of this thing....but I've seen WAY better directed, characterized sad anime than this. (tear-jerkers are like my favorite genre; are you kidding me lol)

I felt exactly the same about Grave of the Fireflies. By the time the movie was over, I thought, "What was the point of all of this?" I reccomend In This Corner of the World instead.
removed-userOct 10, 2018 12:12 PM
Oct 10, 2018 12:32 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
iunne said:
Stripes said:

Anohana: I could never have expected to be as little attached (no, actually, so completely unattached) to MCs of a drama/sad anime as I have been to Menma and Jinta, with the exception of Koe no Katachi. But I mean, people are attached to different characters so I'm not invalidating your opinion. Just stating that I feel the opposite.

Did you find the other characters interesting? Other than Tetsu they were all pretty shallow. I'm not saying Menma and Jinta were phenomenal but their family life is explored and their relationship just seemed the strongest in the whole group. It's basically like "Yep I can see why this group wasn't friends with each other after a certain point, they all are way too caught up in themselves."
Oct 10, 2018 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
Attack On Titan: I still have to watch the last arc (still not aired), a lot of people is saying it is incredibly good, but for me it stopped being interesting after season 1. The survival aspect of the series was the most interesting part of it, after season 1 it turned into a human vs human thing which just killed my hype.
Oct 10, 2018 12:38 PM

Oct 2013
Madoka is trash
not because there are better magical girl anime or thats its quote on quote dark like other haters say

its because its not actually dark enough for an actual edge lord to enjoy which is the only value it holds in terms of appeal and completely fails at it
None existing gore, rushed as fuck compared to other shows of its kind like Future Diary and the gold standard that is Higurashi. Characters that break down over nothing basically too
I would like to complain that the characters are flat with little to them too but that is personal preference really
Oct 10, 2018 12:50 PM

Sep 2013
DBZ.

The first show that comes to mind whenever I try to think of the worst anime I've ever seen. Pretty much everything about it is just awful. It's painful to even look at.
Oct 10, 2018 12:58 PM

Aug 2018
Thread for those who do not agree with community's opinion. Right place for me. So let me share some of my opinion too.

Evangelion - worst thing I've ever watched. So bad it's insulting. Composition, characters, music, graphics - literally every single part of it.
Though I accept it's attempts to present some psychology problems but there is one problem - all of that is deep information which the viewer has to search for by himself and that's only possible if the viewer really got interested in the show- which I can't see any reasons for if the show meant is Eva.

Anohana - the weakest drama I've ever seen. Dull and cliched, without even any promising plot. Music was nice there though.

Angel Beats - that's not drama. One 5-min scene and some backstories is not enough for show to become a strong feels train. In everything else definitely not a bad anime.

SAO - second arc is way better than first one. Has much better composition, no stupid timeskips and attention is actually turned to important events (hello, giant fish, episode 13). The show is still terrible.

Black Butler - too bad composition, way too many fillers. Got bored halfway through even though the start was very promising.

Spice and Wolf - just generally a boring anime with nothing to catch the attention. Though I consider the possibility I could be not in the right mood when I watched it so I may rewatch it one day.

Not highly-acclaimed, I just feel like it fits here too:

Kuzu no Honkai - was quite a surprise for me. While it's considered almost a hentai I see no reason for that and it also has many qualities I praise it for. Not many shows pay that much attention to it's characters' inner worlds and psychology. Especially half-seasoned ones. As well as not many shows are able to show ecchi scenes in that clear way - when they are only needed for the story and not as fanservice.
Oct 10, 2018 1:04 PM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

I'm very curious. What don't you like about the premises of SAO, AOT, and Death Note? I think the people I've seen who hate the shows, at least have agreed that the ideas of the shows were awesome.
Death Note feels edgy, SAO's "trapped in a virtual world but you die in real life if you die here" premise felt forced and silly, and AOT...something felt forced about it, I forget what, but maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time for another premise involving humanity bravely fighting against some oppressive invading supernatural force of monsters. Also it felt like it was all about action and tension and there wasn't any buildup.

Both SAO and AOT (as well as NGNL and AssClass and KLK and Space Dandy and such) are shows that I dropped after a single ep, which is pretty much a telltale sign that I didn't like something about the premise of the show. The only other reason I'd do this is if the fanservice annoyed me (e.g. Valkyrie Drive).

----

adding another thing

* Dragon Ball anything - don't like the art style. (Yes, I've played Chrono Trigger and I even liked it.)
GlennMagusHarveyOct 10, 2018 1:09 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 2 hours ago

2 by alshu »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

84 by Zimmu »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

37 by Zimmu »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

69 by Caciulacdlac »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 3 hours ago

12 by iThink »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.