Forum Settings
Forums

Starting an anime you know you're going to drop.

New
Oct 8, 2018 6:54 PM

May 2014
I saw a new show this season called Radiant, I read the synopsis and watched the trailer and it looked and sounded like the most lifeless shounen with zero originality. I went and watched the first episode to see if it actually was what I thought it was. Believe it or not, it was. No originality or personality, completely dry.

Anyways, even though I knew I wouldn't like the show nor continue watching it. I still watched the first episode and added it to my MAL as dropped. I was just wondering does anyone else watch something fully aware that you will drop it?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 8, 2018 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
I NEVER drop anything I have already started. So... nah.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Oct 8, 2018 7:01 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Gexis said:
I saw a new show this season called Radiant, I read the synopsis and watched the trailer and it looked and sounded like the most lifeless shounen with zero originality. I went and watched the first episode to see if it actually was what I thought it was. Believe it or not, it was. No originality or personality, completely dry.

Anyways, even though I knew I wouldn't like the show nor continue watching it. I still watched the first episode and added it to my MAL as dropped. I was just wondering does anyone else watch something fully aware that you will drop it?

No, I don’t. It’s a waste of time and completely pointless, so why bother?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 8, 2018 7:02 PM

May 2014
Sweet said:

Then what happens when you start a show you aren't enjoying?
Oct 8, 2018 7:08 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Why would you go into an anime with the mentality of dropping it. That alone would probably ruin it for you.
Oct 8, 2018 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
Gexis said:
Sweet said:

...I just keep watching it until it ends?

Oct 8, 2018 7:12 PM

May 2015
That makes absolutely no sense to me. Like, what's the point? Just seems like a waste of time honestly. Why not watch something that you're more likely to enjoy?

Oct 8, 2018 7:18 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
I like to start things regardless of how I assume I'll find it because who knows how it turns out? Sometimes trailers are poorly done and descriptions are poorly written, while the anime itself comes out differently. Besides, going into an anime knowing you're going to drop it is just kinda asking for it. If you have your mind set on it being shit then you're only ruining it for yourself.

Oct 8, 2018 7:20 PM

Apr 2014
way too many, thats why i never start them
Oct 8, 2018 8:37 PM

Jun 2014
I sometimes do this a lot with seasonal anime. Some seasons Ill cast my net wide and start a lot more shows than I intend to watch, and then quickly get rid of the duds. It's not difficult to tell just by one episode. I dont want to condemn a show based on the cover art and a synopsis (most of which are poorly written anyway). So Ill at least watch episode 1 to be able to say I at least tried.

If the cover art is full of moe trash, has a trash synopsis, and is in genres I dont like; then no, I wont even bother. But if the cover art and synopsis are just kinda generic, but has genres I do like, then I'll at least give it a chance. If I watch through the full first episode, and decide I dont like it; then Ill add it to the drop list. But if I quit watching halfway through the first episode, I wont even bother adding it, just make a mental note to never go back to it.

Even if there's hardly a slim chance of you liking a show, its worth at least starting the first episode. Otherwise, you will never find the "hidden gems" / "dark horses" / "underrated" shows.
Oct 8, 2018 8:38 PM

Apr 2015
The true solution to be this would be not to drop anything. Probably not a good one though.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 8, 2018 8:39 PM

Apr 2016
That's not a good mentality to have.
Oct 8, 2018 9:09 PM

May 2012
since I don't like dropping anime I try to be pretty careful in what I'm going to start watching.
Oct 8, 2018 9:12 PM

Nov 2017
i just make it sure if this anime "i know that i'll going to drop it" was bad like they said...

for example : i drop kuzu no H on 3rd episode.. even i know i'll drop it. i'll try to enjoy it, but it fail.
Now Loading.....
Oct 8, 2018 9:15 PM

Aug 2018
I never start anything expecting to drop it.
Oct 8, 2018 9:16 PM

Oct 2018
Some cliched shounen anime, way too relied on fan service anime and brain dead cute and funny anime.

Holding on is believing that there's only a past. Letting go is knowing that there's a future.
Oct 8, 2018 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
Sweet said:
Gexis said:

hey i dont mean to be rude but why not watch something u enjoy instead?
Oct 8, 2018 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
No I only start shows I intend to finish, it might be a slow finish but it will happen eventually.
Oct 8, 2018 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
BRAINDEADPARTY said:
Sweet said:

I usually watch several anime at the same time, so most of the times I end up watching 3 or 4 anime that I like. And still, I see bad anime as an experience.

Oct 8, 2018 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
Sweet said:
BRAINDEADPARTY said:

I usually watch several anime at the same time, so most of the times I end up watching 3 or 4 anime that I like. And still, I see bad anime as an experience.

Ohhh I get it thats what I did with Shippuuden when I was watching a bad arc
Oct 8, 2018 9:53 PM

May 2009
I occasionally watch stuff that's a possible "throwaway".

Occasionally I even watch stuff after I've declared it dropped.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.

Jun 2017
I always make it a point to finish what I start, so I can proudly say I've never dropped an anime ever.

Feb 2018
Thats seasonal anime in a nutshell.
In the last few seasons I wasted way to much time with trash I wouldn't like anyways so now I a, kinda burned out and only read manga.
Oct 8, 2018 9:54 PM

Aug 2018
I do it, sometimes I even try to watch a second one... you might get surprised sometimes
Oct 8, 2018 9:56 PM

Aug 2018
GamerDLM said:
No I only start shows I intend to finish, it might be a slow finish but it will happen eventually.

LOL, I really disagree with you and my taste in anime is almost completly different hahaha. We are really different young sir.
Oct 8, 2018 10:00 PM

Jun 2017
I mostly watch first episodes of some anime just to know what they are but I don't add them to my list
Gexis said:
I was just wondering does anyone else watch something fully aware that you will drop it?

I can't understand how you can be "fully aware" of dropping an anime. Your example for me isn't like "fully aware" because it happened to me for some shows like ReZero that I assumed I would drop them but instead at last I really liked them
Oct 8, 2018 10:10 PM

Dec 2017
dude, that’s masochist mentality right there.

it’s just like you know you don’t like what you eat, but you eat it anyway

that ain’t good, you can get poisoned..

for real, i can’t really tell an anime is good or not based on synopsis alone, because i too enjoy some good visual
Oct 8, 2018 10:46 PM

Nov 2014
Generally I start shows that I think will be OK. Whether they end up actually good, bearable, annoys me till I drop it or I just drop it for no solid reason is another matter.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 8, 2018 11:00 PM

May 2014
Sweet said:
Gexis said:

I couldn't disagree with a lifestyle more.
Oct 8, 2018 11:02 PM

Jul 2017
I haven't dropped a single anime so far
there are quite a handful of anime that I personally would not want to continue watching but I still finished them respectively
I did watch some unpopular anime that I know I'm not gonna like just to see what's going on and why are they hated so much by others
Oct 8, 2018 11:05 PM

Nov 2015
Usually if that happens I just don't bother adding to MAL. And I don't start anything I don't think I'll enjoy unless a friend specifically recommended it.
Oct 8, 2018 11:17 PM

May 2014
mhkr said:
I mostly watch first episodes of some anime just to know what they are but I don't add them to my list
Gexis said:
I was just wondering does anyone else watch something fully aware that you will drop it?

I can't understand how you can be "fully aware" of dropping an anime. Your example for me isn't like "fully aware" because it happened to me for some shows like ReZero that I assumed I would drop them but instead at last I really liked them

Yeah, I'll watch the first episodes of some seasonal shows, just so I have atleast 1 episode of knowledge to talk about if it's ever brought up in conversation. I'll add anything to my list as long as I've seen at least 1 full episode. Movies I just add as dropped if I fall asleep.

With Radiant I was pretty aware that I would end up dropping the show If I actually started it, simpley based off the synopsis, cover art and trailers alone. I checked it out just to see for myself if there was some hidden potential people were missing. But turns out there wasn't any and just dropped the show as I predicated. That's what I mean by being aware.
Oct 9, 2018 12:30 AM

Dec 2016
Gexis said:

Anyways, even though I knew I wouldn't like the show

Nope, sorry but nobody can have the absolute certainty that one is not going to like something prior to actually try it. One can have the feeling or belief, but never the certainty.
Oct 9, 2018 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
I don't understand what's the point?
I started anime that I thought will be bad but I hoped they will be surprisingly good and I won't have to drop them.
Oct 9, 2018 12:46 AM

Aug 2017
why? whats the point of starting it if you knew you would drop it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2018 12:52 AM

May 2014
assyrian said:
why? whats the point of starting it if you knew you would drop it

To get the general idea and premise of the show. Just in case it's ever mentioned in conversation I'd have something to say.
Oct 9, 2018 12:53 AM

Mar 2015
Why waste your time watching something you're gonna drop anyways lol
Oct 9, 2018 12:59 AM

May 2013
Mirai said:
Why waste your time watching something you're gonna drop anyways lol

Apparently he wants something to say whenever the said show gets mentioned elsewhere.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 9, 2018 2:12 AM

Mar 2017
I can see why you might want to watch one episode of a show even though you think you'll drop it. To answer the question: is this as bad as I think it is? Your curiosity can get the better of you. I tend to pick shows I am hoping to enjoy, though.
Oct 9, 2018 3:32 AM

May 2014
Yeah i watched episode 1 of the bunny girl and slime anime even though i knew i wouldn't like them. It's so i can verify that they are indeed bad i suppose. Because sometimes i enjoy anime that i thought i wouldn't like. I mean, so far that sumo anime is the best of the season to me and i didn't think i'd like it at all.
Oct 9, 2018 3:44 AM

Feb 2013
Sweet said:
Gexis said:

what if it never ends? (e.g. one piece) or it's just very long
Oct 9, 2018 3:49 AM

Sep 2017
I drop a lot of show after the 1st or 2nd episodes, and I knew I was gonna drop most of them. It's just that sometime I do get surprised. Like last season Revue Starlight and High Score Girl turned out so much better than I expected. Whereas shows that looks promising like Banana Fish turned out quite boring.
Oct 9, 2018 3:57 AM

Jul 2017
Ehh, I don't really drop anime, I put them on-hold.
Oct 9, 2018 4:01 AM

Feb 2013
I never drop anime but I don't start an anime that I'm not interested one bit in, what's the point in doing it?
Oct 9, 2018 4:08 AM

Jan 2013
Gexis said:
Sweet said:

I couldn't disagree with a lifestyle more.

>lifestyle lol

romagia said:
Sweet said:

what if it never ends? (e.g. one piece) or it's just very long

That’s why I don’t start long anime really often, unless I see it’s getting really good opinions (ex. HxH 2011).

It’s not that hard guys.

Oct 9, 2018 4:09 AM
Apr 2018
I dropped Kanrinrin-san, Maou, Hirakuen no Haou, Island, Holmes and Subaru last season. I watched at least 2 episodes of these, I knew that I'd drop only reading the plot.
FeuwhlipeOct 9, 2018 4:27 AM
Play Persona 5
Oct 9, 2018 12:43 PM

May 2014
fancyjasper said:
Yeah i watched episode 1 of the bunny girl and slime anime even though i knew i wouldn't like them. It's so i can verify that they are indeed bad i suppose. Because sometimes i enjoy anime that i thought i wouldn't like. I mean, so far that sumo anime is the best of the season to me and i didn't think i'd like it at all.

Yeah, its to verify what people are saying to be true. and hey maybe you find some hidden potential others missed. Btw I agree, that sumo show is nutty.
Oct 9, 2018 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
no,i usually try as hard as possible not to drop something i know i wanna drop really bad until i reach my limit
Oct 9, 2018 1:15 PM
Jul 2015
Gexis said:

Sometimes because I'm in doubt, I ask myself, is this show really so bad? and I see 1 or 2 episodes, and then I know the answer
Oct 9, 2018 2:08 PM

May 2016
I dropped quite a small amount of anime because I'm trying to finish other anime I haven't finished

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 minutes ago

2 by Nemo_Niemand »»
2 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
20 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
26 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
30 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.