Forum Settings
Forums

How do you rate anime with multiple seasons?

New
Sep 30, 2018 2:25 PM

Aug 2018
Even though an anime might have multiple seasons, I'll give all the seasons the same score.

For example: BNHA has 3 seasons and I've given them all a 7/10 even though season 2 was my favorite.

How about you? Do you give anime with multiple seasons the same grade or do you give different seasons separate grades?

Sep 30, 2018 2:28 PM

Dec 2017
I just rate by individual seasons. If S1 is better than S2 I don't see why you should give both the same score instead of giving S1 a higher score and S2 a lower one.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 30, 2018 2:30 PM

May 2014
If they're bundled into one like LoGH I'd rate it as one, but if they have seperate entries I rate them seperately.
Sep 30, 2018 2:31 PM

Oct 2016
I rate by individual season, I see no point to give the same rating for every season, when the series is listed by season and not as a whole.
Sep 30, 2018 2:33 PM

Mar 2018
i always judge by how much liked that season no matter if is one of my favorites Anime that means if they do something i dont like i will punish in the score...

Aug 2018
Reina_Orikasa said:
I just rate by individual seasons. If S1 is better than S2 I don't see why you should give both the same score instead of giving S1 a higher score and S2 a lower one.
Minami said:
I rate by individual season, I see no point to give the same rating for every season, when the series is listed by season and not as a whole.

I get what your saying but to me they're basically the same show so why not give it the same grade?

Apr 2014
i rate them individually. previous seasons dont play a role
Sep 30, 2018 2:36 PM
Oct 2016
It depends. If it feels like a whole, I rate it as a whole. I do think new seasons can retroactively make previous seasons worse. If the mysteries and plot points set of don’t pay off in later seasons, for example. Or, in some cases, you’ll get one part dropped in that’s sort of out of left field (i.e. nisemonogatari), and those I do rate separately.
Sep 30, 2018 2:38 PM

Oct 2016
Immortal_CJC said:
Reina_Orikasa said:
Minami said:

I get what your saying but to me they're basically the same show so why not give it the same grade?

They might be the same show, but story wise they don't contain the same content, therefore I don't want to rate them the same. I also grade books I have read on goodreads and on there I also don't grade a book that's part of a trilogy the same as another book that's part of the series (unless my enjoyment was the same).
Sep 30, 2018 2:39 PM

Jul 2015
I rate by individual season. If I don't like/enjoy all seasons the same, then there's no point in giving the same score
Sep 30, 2018 2:40 PM

Apr 2018
I usually rate each Season separately, because they tend to differ in quality in some way or another.
For example, i gave Tokyo Ghoul Season 1 a 7 'cause i thought it was okay.
Season 2, however, was a huge downgrade, so i gave it a 4.
Sep 30, 2018 2:41 PM

Feb 2018
Seperate grades unless the quality is the same as the first season.
Sep 30, 2018 2:42 PM

Feb 2018
I rate all of them individually which can be pretty hard when later seasons are bad because of mistakes a previous season made.
Sep 30, 2018 2:43 PM
Jun 2017
It depends on how I felt about each season for an anime. For example, I personally loved all three seasons of BnHA start to finish so I gave all a 10, but I gave the first season of Noragami a 9 and the second season a 10 because I thought the story line was better. ^.^
Sep 30, 2018 2:43 PM

Aug 2018

I get what your saying but to me they're basically the same show so why not give it the same grade? [/quote]

Shouldnt all Dragon Ball be rated the same in that case?
Bundling Super, Z, og and GT and rating them all with a single number.

But to any DB fan they cannot be considered the same even if they are the same story.
A lot of people like og while the majority likes Z the most and only the most hardcore fans consider Super a good show in comparison to Z.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Sep 30, 2018 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
It only makes sense for me to score all the seasons separately.
Sep 30, 2018 2:48 PM

Aug 2016
Rate by individual season/entry in MAL.

Keep track of separate franchise rating through a weighted average in Excel.
Sep 30, 2018 2:55 PM

Feb 2018
I rate individually, although tbh your method makes much more sense for most cases. (It doesn't if there is a huge time skip between seasons, e.g. Clannad).
Sep 30, 2018 2:55 PM

Apr 2018
I rate them all individually because I have certain season/arc which I like better than the series as a whole. So rating each season individually makes it more logical.
Sep 30, 2018 2:57 PM

Jul 2017
Immortal_CJC said:
Reina_Orikasa said:
Minami said:

because a season who's way better or way worse than other seasons souldn't have the same score. ex: overlord S1 was good, while S2 was a shitstorm. hence the 4 point difference for me.

but..that's just a neverending loop.
-"but they're not as good"
-"but they're the same series"
this x1000
Sep 30, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2018
CordobezEverdeen said:

Shouldnt all Dragon Ball be rated the same in that case?
Bundling Super, Z, og and GT and rating them all with a single number.

But to any DB fan they cannot be considered the same even if they are the same story.
A lot of people like og while the majority likes Z the most and only the most hardcore fans consider Super a good show in comparison to Z.
[/quote]

good way to look at it. I might reconsider how I rate certain anime series.
Sep 30, 2018 3:05 PM

Jan 2016
Depends. Mostly it's the same since I just generally view them as one.
Sep 30, 2018 3:07 PM

Aug 2018
CapitalistGod said:
Depends. Mostly it's the same since I just generally view them as one.

Finally. Someone who agrees with me. I was starting to think I was weird for doing this.
Sep 30, 2018 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
Seasons usually differ in quality, so it's only natural to rate them separately. I can see why some may rate as a whole, though.
Sep 30, 2018 4:57 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I rate each entry individually.
Some seasons are better than others. I want to give each entry an equal chance to blow my mind.
Sep 30, 2018 5:04 PM

Nov 2014
Same as I would for the most part. I stick pretty close to my rating system.

That said I will have a tendency to make a 1 rating difference between seasons if it's close to rounding of to a different number and I feel like there's significant enough difference in how I feel about it. Think of it as a slight exaggeration in score, a tiny sacrifice of absolute numbers for a lot more ability to showcase my opinion using relative scoring.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 30, 2018 5:06 PM

Oct 2014
I rate every entry as a separate anime. When anime are aired as film series I'll rate each movie as being its own anime even though they sort of act like segments in a series.
Sep 30, 2018 5:08 PM

Nov 2013
If they're separate entries in the database then why not rate each season separately as well?
Sep 30, 2018 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
I'll rate them individually, idk. I don't care about the scoring system too much

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 30, 2018 6:15 PM

May 2009
If I have specific opinions on each I rate them differently.

If I have one overall opinion on the series I rate everything the same as that opinion.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 30, 2018 9:37 PM

Nov 2017
hmmm... if s2 better.. then i rate s2 better than s1.. for ex: Oregairu zoku rated : 8 but oregairu s1 rated : 7...
Now Loading.....
Sep 30, 2018 9:52 PM
Hokage King

Apr 2017
chareexnicole said:
It depends on how I felt about each season for an anime. For example, I personally loved all three seasons of BnHA start to finish so I gave all a 10, but I gave the first season of Noragami a 9 and the second season a 10 because I thought the story line was better. ^.^

Hey I'm with you on this, though I think I went season 1 8 and S2 a 9, but I also rate the seasons individually. Basically if they have their own MAL page they get their own ranking.
Sep 30, 2018 10:01 PM
Jun 2017
KingKronosDC84 said:
chareexnicole said:

Hey I'm with you on this, though I think I went season 1 8 and S2 a 9, but I also rate the seasons individually. Basically if they have their own MAL page they get their own ranking.

Glad you agree! xD And those are still pretty good scores imo, haha. :)
Sep 30, 2018 10:09 PM
Apr 2018
I rate them all separately which sometimes causes large gaps in score. For example I gave Code Geass season 1 a 9/10 but season 2 got 7/10. Or a even better example of when I gave Magi season 1 5/10 and gave season 2 8/10
Oct 1, 2018 12:36 AM

Jan 2017
Immortal_CJC said:
Even though an anime might have multiple seasons, I'll give all the seasons the same score.

For example: BNHA has 3 seasons and I've given them all a 7/10 even though season 2 was my favorite.

How about you? Do you give anime with multiple seasons the same grade or do you give different seasons separate grades?

A lot of mine tend to stay same across different seasons, but if there is a considerable change in quality (better or worse) I don't hesitate to have different scores for different seasons of the same show.

Oct 1, 2018 2:15 AM

Nov 2014
I rate on individual seasons. The only exception would be if I gave the first season a low score but the second season was really worth watching then I will go back and increase the score of the first season since it was setting up for the second.

Two instances of this for me were:

Boku no Hero Academia: Season one was kinda lack luster 6/10 (score for shows not worth your time), but the second season really picked up to a 8/10, then I went back and increased season one to a 7/10 (score for shows worth watching) to indicate that it was good at setting up the following seasons.

Clannad: Season one was honestly boring me to tears 5/10 (it did nothing good or bad), but season two is a complete masterpiece 10/10, so i went back and increase the score of the first season to a 7/10 because the second season wouldn't have been the masterpiece that it is without it.

However to flip this if season one was great but season two wasn't I would still rate them individually but I wouldn't lower the first seasons score since you could choose to drop the show after the good part was over.

For example: Tokyo Ghoul had a great first season but the second was just a mess, I would just watch the first season and then finish it by reading the manga and skipping the rest of the seasons.

「 俺を誰だと思っていやがる!」
嵐仙人
Signature | Transience

Oct 1, 2018 2:21 AM

Jan 2018
I rate it individually based on enjoyment.
Oct 1, 2018 2:53 AM

Aug 2015
I rate each season separately based purely on my enjoyment.
For example BnHA s1 I rated 5, s2 - 7.
BTW what's about these dozens of threads about ratings recently? Why are people so worried about statistics? Who gives the shit about ratings?
Oct 1, 2018 2:54 AM

Nov 2011
I rate them separately because this site put them separately.. I mean what is the point rated every season the same when they appear separately in the list and you enjoyed them differently ...

And when I rated a sequel, I still try to take account of their prequel (in order of airing) ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 1, 2018 2:58 AM

Jan 2016
Just rate the first title/anime/season the entire rating and leave the rest unrated, pretty self-explanatory.
Oct 1, 2018 4:03 AM

Jan 2018
I rate them separately and you should too.There are many multiple seasons-anime that have one season much better than other ones(for example ss1 of Clannad was shit so I give it a 3,but its ss2 was a masterpiece so I give it a 10)
Oct 1, 2018 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
i don't give them the same score because they are not the same
Oct 7, 2018 3:29 AM

Jun 2016
By their quality. If one season is significantly better than another, then why should I have to rate them the same if another option exists?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2018 3:35 AM

May 2015
Giving every season of something the same score only makes sense if they're all of the same quality. If that actually happens, I'd give them the same score, but that's usually not the case. 9 times out of 10 there's going to be a difference between the seasons, whether it's the first season being better, or the other way around. So I rate them individually.

Oct 7, 2018 3:39 AM

Jul 2017
Boobsftw said:
I rate them separately and you should too.There are many multiple seasons-anime that have one season much better than other ones(for example ss1 of Clannad was shit so I give it a 3,but its ss2 was a masterpiece so I give it a 10)
and you kept watching even though you hated it? that's commitement right there
Oct 7, 2018 4:31 AM

Jan 2018
Zehennagel said:
Boobsftw said:
and you kept watching even though you hated it? that's commitement right there

Yeah people keep telling that ss2 is MUCH better than ss1 so...
Oct 7, 2018 4:49 AM

Jul 2015
If the series has multiple seasons, I'd rate the first one by how I feel about it, which is what I do with other anime, and the next season by their ability of handling the plot and situations that weren't finished in the first or previous one + creativity with new challenges.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 7, 2018 5:02 AM

Aug 2018
I rate them by seasons but rate them relative to the other seasons. If one season is better than the other, I’ll rate it accordingly.
For e.g.: I gave BnHA s1 an 8 because I thought it was slow to pick up. S2 got a 9 from me and s3 a 9.
So as future seasons come I might go back and revise my ratings if necessary
FireballKnuckleOct 7, 2018 5:08 AM
Oct 7, 2018 7:41 AM

Jul 2017
If the series is separated by season then I rate them separately as well
Oct 7, 2018 8:33 AM

Jun 2008
Rate them all individually. Same with OVA's and specials.
And i rate sequels the same way as i would have rated a whole new show.

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

61 by Noelle43 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 22 minutes ago

2 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

101 by FFandMMfan »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by YN_ON »»
12 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

19 by Zimzky »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.