Forums

Most of the current/old Anime will be forgotten/obsolete by 2030

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 2, 2018 1:27 PM

Jul 2017
meatbun_ said:
Zehennagel said:
I was saying that about this era. 2000's, 2100's in hundreds of years, there will have been so much content, that I think the "general knowledge"(that means for people who won't "explore" the genre, casuals to say so) will be those 5-10 films from our era that everybody knows, realy, everybody knows them. but of course, cinephiles will exist and so on.
so yea I was thinking hundreds of years ahead if not thouthands.

I still don't agree with you. The whole idea of "classic" are works which stood the test of time, and are as relevant today as they were in the past. We already had more than two thousand years of art which weren't completely forgotten and are still relevant nowadays, even if most people just come in contact with them by means of parody or adaptation. Just think Moby Dick, a book I'd guess a lot of people outside the US probably don't even know it's a book, or such a "serious" one, but everyone still knows about the story of Ahab and the white whale through popular culture. Yes, most people won't come in direct contact with such works, but they will still be afected by it in one way or another.

There's no reason to think that the last 100 years of movies, comics and videogames will be forgotten in the future. With the advents of the internet, it's safe to believe in quite the opposite, I would say. A whole bunch of people never had a Nintendo but played a lot of it through emulation, for example, and Steam's classic or retro games are always hits. Comic books are still relying in nostalgia to this day, etc.
ho yea, I didn't think about inspiration too. we know a lot of things through inspirations and references.
but one thing you didn't take into acount is that even though the internet happened and everybody has acces to everything, that also means there is a fuckload of content, and we won't ever have the time to watch all we want to watch. well, that depends on what you want to watch but lots of people I know are like that. I, for example, want to explore the anime genre, but also the manga genre, the film genre, the series, and recently books have also been a center of interest.
anyway, I'm being a bit off topic here.
so yea, what you're saying makes sense. but there's something to be taken into acount too, that is, as years passes, more and more content in, well, everything, is being released and we're missing out on a lot of things.
talking to you made me realised that culture is less "forgotten" that I might have thought it is. it's interesting that it is often known undiretly.
Oct 2, 2018 1:28 PM

Jul 2015
in 22 years the 2000s will be the new 90s
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Oct 2, 2018 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
Statistically, probably. But why should it matter to an individual? Everyone has their own preferences and will be able to choose what to watch.

My age-group statistically probably falls into the "I can't watch anything that was made before 2010 and isn't heavily digitized" crowd, but some of my favorite manga, anime, and video games came out pre-2000 and I'd watch a trashy OVA from the 80s/90s or a weird obscure show from the early 2000s over heaps of low-effort trash anime that come out every season these days any day.

Knowing myself I probably sidetracked completely, but my point is that to an individual statistics don't matter and because some anime get "forgotten" among the majority, that doesn't mean they'll disappear from this planet. Of course more people are going to watch "I got teleported to another world with my phone and now I have a harem oops" than, say, a mecha classic from the 80s or 90s. But that's because it's more relevant. People who care more are going to dig deeper and find the classics, and as long as those anime are documented and available, they won't ever be forgotten. Especially in this day and age where everyone is able to post a video where they recommend a piece of media, whether it be popular and relevant or obscure and "forgotten".
ShadowMonkeyOct 2, 2018 1:57 PM
Oct 2, 2018 1:58 PM

Aug 2017
No. It's like saying that classical music will be forgotten in the next 50 years.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 2, 2018 2:21 PM

Oct 2016
I don't think it will. There are always people who will look back on what we came from and watch it. Just like people nowadays still listen to music from the 60s and watch movies from the 60s. If something i's good, it's good and it really won't fall into oblivion.
Oct 2, 2018 2:34 PM

Aug 2018
keragamming said:

@PentagramShogok Half life came out in 1998 and half life 2 came out in 2004, Persons that played the game in that time, is still looking forward to playing it, I don't see anything special about that, most of the persons that played it are the same persons that played it back in 1998 and 2004 that were teenagers that are now adults.

I see half life as more like a meme than anything else.

But you know it, right? You know what's Half-Life? You know what's Doom? That's because they have trascended to popular culture. The same with 90 / 80 / 70 / 60s animes. They are well known today because they are more than an anime in this days. Idc if it's in meme form or in thesis form, you know them, people are still talking about them and they will be.

Also, you are taking this in an extreme range. Of course 90s animes will be forgotten. Idk when (saying in the last 30s of this century is a little much hurried up date), but Death Note, most well known anime of the new century, Attack on Titan, SAO, etc, etc, will be too one day. We now live in the technology era, so putting examples of Eighteenth Century's cinema (lol cinema was invented in 1895 if I remember correctly, so, Nineteenth Century) is not correct because you can find Cowboy Bebop everywhere: in the internet, you can buy the DVDs in Amazon... If someone is interested, those animes will perdure. And if even today those animes are that popular to be ranked in #50 in Popularity, I thinkt they have too much war to give.
Oct 2, 2018 3:19 PM

Aug 2013
Zehennagel said:

ho yea, I didn't think about inspiration too. we know a lot of things through inspirations and references.
but one thing you didn't take into acount is that even though the internet happened and everybody has acces to everything, that also means there is a fuckload of content, and we won't ever have the time to watch all we want to watch. well, that depends on what you want to watch but lots of people I know are like that. I, for example, want to explore the anime genre, but also the manga genre, the film genre, the series, and recently books have also been a center of interest.
anyway, I'm being a bit off topic here.
so yea, what you're saying makes sense. but there's something to be taken into acount too, that is, as years passes, more and more content in, well, everything, is being released and we're missing out on a lot of things.
talking to you made me realised that culture is less "forgotten" that I might have thought it is. it's interesting that it is often known undiretly.

Yeah, people's memory are shorter than ever and sometimes it's hard to concile everything we want to read or watch, but one thing we aren't running out of anytime soon are humans to consume differents mediums and genres: even if more and more new information and content comes each year and we miss a lot of things, there are always other people that won't miss those and will consume all the stuff we don't really like, know or care for.
Oct 2, 2018 5:01 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
All I can say is that something like vinyls are collected, loved, and sought after. The same will be of older anime. Only true lovers of the medium will seek them out.
Oct 2, 2018 5:06 PM

Jan 2014
only if pirating animu becomes impossible.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Oct 2, 2018 5:29 PM

Jul 2016
I don't know Otaku tend to be a dedicated bunch. Preservation of media is stronger than you may think. I don't know a single gamer who hasn't played Pac Man. Old books and movies are loved by hundreds of millions of people every day. Let's not forget that Evangelion from the 90s and Gunbuster from the 80s both look way more impressive than most of the shit coming out today.
Oct 2, 2018 5:33 PM

Apr 2017
they're gonna be watching my hero academia saying that they were born in the wrong generation

it's gonna be glorious
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Oct 2, 2018 5:59 PM

Aug 2018
Your opinion is stupid and wrong. Thread is a waste of time. Try harder.
Oct 2, 2018 6:15 PM
May 2017
1980s and 1990s animes already are obsolete, no doubt, but they will not be forgotten, but surely will be niche and some of them, cult. Fans of some of these animes will be known for their sophisticated taste.

It will happen with 2000s, 2010s, etc... animes too.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 2, 2018 6:52 PM

Dec 2016
The same way people still remember, talk about and recommend classic movies from the 30s (like Gone with the Wind), 40s (like Casablanca), 50s (like Bridge over River Kwai), 60s (like The Sound of Music) and 70s (like The Godfather), many classic anime that have earned their place in anime history and/or have achieved cultural significance won't be forgotten either.

Oct 2, 2018 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Lol, look.

Evangelion is a 90s anime

If you think Evangelion is going to be "forgotten" by the year 2030.........think again. Iconic things are iconic. Mickey Mouse is even OLDER than Evangelion by like forty years; do you think people have forgotten him?

No, his face is on f*cking everything. Lol Japan is like that with Evangelion, DB, and Hello Kitty.

keragamming said:
By time 2030 comes around most of them will be out of the medium, for whatever reason,.

"Out of the medium"?

Why would that happen, exactly?

by time most anime fans reach the age of 30, they either lose interest or simple dont have the time anymore.

..............you don't go to conventions.....do you? The eldest member of our local club is in her sixties.
ChiibiOct 2, 2018 8:11 PM

Oct 2, 2018 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
I'll be around until at least 2040 though to commemorate one of my favorite childhood favorites. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. I can't bail out on Priss just yet!
Oct 2, 2018 9:59 PM

Jun 2014
Most are already forgotten by western anime fans. Get real, most anime fans are casual and dont give a shit about older anime.
Oct 2, 2018 10:27 PM

Dec 2017
Maybe the unpopular ones (those are already forgotten by 99%) but the timeless ones will continue to be remembered as great shows/movies of the time.

We don't tend to pay much attention to history, but it's there.

Your argument can be used for 00's anime and this decade in 2060+. But good shows will still be talked about.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 2, 2018 10:38 PM

Jun 2017
No, that's wrong. Almost all the early 2000s anime will be forgotten and probably a lot of the modern anime we see, but 90s and 80s anime will always remain relevant because they used traditional hand drawn animation rather than digital animation. There are aesthetics and story beats from these generations that are completely different from what we see today, so they will always be around although niche. Especially shows like Evangelion and Karekano, which are already good enough to stand on their own feet. If you're concerned about age, I'm not even in my 20s yet and I have been checking out a lot of anime from these decades. I think the only real reasons they aren't popular is because the sound quality is bad, they're not as easily accessible, and many TV anime from back then is at least 50 episodes long, a large commitment.
Oct 2, 2018 10:43 PM

Jan 2011
If anything the advent of the internet has made it easier than ever before for them to remain alive in the public conscious. There will just be a bigger pool of shows for casuals to ignore.
Oct 2, 2018 10:53 PM
Mar 2011
very few manga or and even less anime have had the cultral impact in genral Japanese pop culture like stuff like Kaman rider did or CPT Tsubasa did o4 the death of rakishi did in ashita no joe

leet lone Tv anime struggle ot gte 5.0 tv rarting yes even big ones lik precure, while big one back in the day would be cancelled for getting under an 8 anime, has become niche

before ofr you say it was awals niche got look at tv rtaings for 80's and 90's yes even network tv vs network tv to be fare both W and X gundam were seen as falures for getting under 10 in the tv rtaings Age and Build did not even get that combined

DBGT was seen as faliure for ganing an 8 over itstital run whle a prime time anime these days is allawd to got get under 1/2 that and still be seen as sucess by sponsor [ and no this is one time i cannot blame CR}

anime has beocme niche cuacu o f t what i said abovr

also NTV Canceld Pro wrestling Noah in 2005 for avrging 5.56 over 6months 13 years later NTV there luchy if evem there biggest anime gets a five in tv ratings

yes tv anime still makes most of oit money form TV not matter what CR says

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 3, 2018 12:05 AM

May 2015
So you are saying that anime which is 20-30 yr old at the moment would be forgotten withing 12 yrs ? Well yeah kind of, people don't remember music or movies from 10 yrs ago or even events from their own lives , there are some kids in their 17's -18's who don't know about 9/11 etc. This doesn't mean they will fall into oblivion , there would be people who will always search for quality stuff and enjoy the really old animes if they aged well. Like I enjoy expressionist and surrealist movies from the 20's and 30's and old black and white movies in general. There are guys and girls which collect old atari and sega games and build community around it. Every train has its passengers. Nothing is really forgotten, it's just that old culture should step down and give new culture the space to develop it's new ideas. It's always been like that, in the 90's there were probably guys who complained that with all this anime from the 80's and 90s kids are really missing out on Moebius comics.
Oct 3, 2018 12:26 AM

Mar 2016
Isn't that already the case?

I mean, except some old anime considered as classics, most people don't bother to watch anime from the 90s, 80s. Because they're seen as "ugly", "old", and why'd you watch them, if your goal is to be able to talk about anime with as many people as possible.
The best way to do that would ofc be watching seasonals to keep up with the latest releases.

So, yeah they will, but it's not something new... We can't remember everything from the past.
Oct 3, 2018 2:22 AM

Mar 2013
More dumb people watching dumb mass market crap means more great animation just for me not being a dumb brainwashed zombie.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 3, 2018 3:12 AM

Jun 2016
Bet in a decade's time Grand Blue will be the next Golden Boy/GTO and MHA will be recognized as a great classic like Dragon Ball and I'm not ready for that life yet
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2018 4:13 AM

Jun 2015
AndoCommando said:
Bet in a decade's time Grand Blue will be the next Golden Boy/GTO and MHA will be recognized as a great classic like Dragon Ball and I'm not ready for that life yet
Grand Blue will be a dime in the ocean, quite literally.
Oct 3, 2018 7:49 AM

Jan 2018
Older and tetro anime will not be forgotten, we still have an kissanime and other illegal streaming anime sites that we can watch older and retro anime so far. I am hoping these illegal streaming sites don't go away, if they are being arrested by the corrupt government of USA and Japan.
Oct 3, 2018 7:54 AM

Feb 2013
It would be cool if the animation improves, but if we look at the increase of CG use I'm afraid of the future.
Even now people call anime from the 2000's old, but that's their perspective, I call everything from the 80's old, but some don't, it all depends on your age and when you started watching anime.
Oct 3, 2018 8:00 AM

Dec 2013
Good stories never get old. It's not like people have forgotten about Mobile Suit Gundam just because it's from the 70s.
Oct 3, 2018 8:05 AM

Jan 2009
NthDegree said:
Good stories never get old. It's not like people have forgotten about Mobile Suit Gundam just because it's from the 70s.

its dying lol

thats why there are new kids oriented Gundam shows this days like Gundam AGE and Gundam Build Fighters just to lure kids to be future fans of it but its failing though
Oct 3, 2018 9:50 AM
May 2018
I started watching anime acively in 2007; I will have favorites in every decade, but 80s, and 90s will always be the most anime for me.
Oct 3, 2018 10:10 AM

Sep 2015
Seems like an obvious thing to state, really. The vast majority of anything will be forgotten as the years go by, with only the most popular and / or critically acclaimed of each subject being remembered. How many tens of thousands of books and movies get churned out each year with 99% of them being all but forgotten by a decade later? It's just common sense that only a small amount will be remembered.

Hell, the second a season ends people forget about most of the anime they just saw as they're already turning their attention to the latest seasonal selection.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Oct 3, 2018 10:11 AM

Jan 2009
Maz said:
Seems like an obvious thing to state, really. The vast majority of anything will be forgotten as the years go by, with only the most popular and / or critically acclaimed of each subject being remembered. How many tens of thousands of books and movies get churned out each year with 99% of them being all but forgotten by a decade later? It's just common sense that only a small amount will be remembered.

Hell, the second a season ends people forget about most of the anime they just saw as they're already turning their attention to the latest seasonal selection.

well said

the OP just titled the thread wrong, it should be "most anime will be forgotten by 2030"
degOct 3, 2018 10:46 AM
Oct 3, 2018 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
That's so freaking great. No more Pesudos.
Oct 3, 2018 10:30 AM

Apr 2018
These 80s,90s animes should already be obsolete. But the fact they are still relevant is testament that they are good and have already withstood the test of time.

That's why they will still be relavant in the years to come. There are few shows no matter how new or good the adaptation is there will always be people who will want to watch the original. So, I don't believe they'll go obsolete and definitely not forgotten.
Oct 3, 2018 10:31 AM

Nov 2017
You can never know what will be popular 20 years from now, or 12 in this instance. The aesthetics and popularity of a year beyond ours is impossible to see. Too many things can affect that.

We'll be living in a burning/Bladerunner world of perpetual darkness by then. We'll be too preoccupied by global warming, super hurricanes, massive wildfires, floods. We will have inflicted the old testament on ourselves by then.

You might be right, it'll be like now, a bunch of plebs who only focus on the year they're living in. I hope Japan isn't under water by 2030.
Oct 3, 2018 10:39 AM

Jan 2018
DarkInsomnia57 said:

You might be right, it'll be like now, a bunch of plebs who only focus on the year they're living in. I hope Japan isn't under water by 2030.

I know that Japan has some issues with the demographic problem, i wonder who will keep their anime and manga stuff archival without support from newer generations of Japanese, since fewer and fewer babies are born in Japan in recent years.

In 2030, we'll see a lot of elderly, few youngsters and fewer kids.

(sorry for my poor English)
Oct 3, 2018 10:41 AM
May 2018
Most of it will, but, i feel animes like Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball, NGE, etc.. They will still be on people's head, but most of it will be left behind.
Oct 3, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2009
@keragamming

just change the thread title to like "Most Anime will be forgotten by 2030"
Oct 3, 2018 10:56 AM

Oct 2013
deg said:
@keragamming

I guess I can put a more general heading, since the one I put is triggering anime fans that loves the 90s and 80s anime.
Oct 3, 2018 10:58 AM

Jan 2009
keragamming said:
deg said:
@keragamming

I guess I can put a more general heading, since the one I put is triggering anime fans that loves the 90s and 80s anime.

lol it sure is triggering a lot of people here

you can also rename the title to "Most Anime today and the 80s and 90s will be forgotten by 2030"
Oct 3, 2018 10:59 AM

Dec 2013
deg said:
NthDegree said:

its dying lol

thats why there are new kids oriented Gundam shows this days like Gundam AGE and Gundam Build Fighters just to lure kids to be future fans of it but its failing though

Interesting... But the Japanese 20-somethings I personally know all definitely knew what Gundam was even if they aren't otaku. In fact, they dragged me to Odaiba to take a look at the huge Gundam statue there. So it's not like most people have forgotten.
Oct 3, 2018 10:59 AM

Aug 2017
most anime is forgotten about when passes 10 years of age
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2018 11:02 AM

Nov 2013
by 2030 we will be plugged into some vr anime getting shagged by the head of the cycling committee
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 3, 2018 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
deg said:
NthDegree said:

its dying lol

Weird, they don't know Gundam yet it's the only franchise that's still making a shit ton of money?
Hmmm.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 3, 2018 11:11 AM

Jan 2009
Cabron said:
deg said:

its dying lol

Weird, they don't know Gundam yet it's the only franchise that's still making a shit ton of money?
Hmmm.

high chance the old fans are the ones inflating the sales since the usual best sellers of Gundam for the past few years are from the Universal Century Timeline like Gundam Unicorn and Gundam The Origin
Oct 3, 2018 11:13 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Cabron said:
Hmmm.

high chance the old fans are the ones inflating the sales since the usual best sellers of Gundam for the past few years are from the Universal Century Timeline like Gundam Unicorn and Gundam The Origin

I wonder of Gundam will disappear somehow, i know Japan has a demographic issues, so i feel like anime will fall into the deep of oblivlion.
Oct 3, 2018 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
hotsushikun said:
deg said:

I wonder of Gundam will disappear somehow, i know Japan has a demographic issues, so i feel like anime will fall into the deep of oblivlion.

as long as the toys of it sells then im sure Gundam anime will still be made, but ye the problem is there will be less new customers of it in the future due to the young anime fans preferring none mecha shows
Oct 3, 2018 11:17 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
hotsushikun said:

as long as the toys of it sells then im sure Gundam anime will still be made, but ye the problem is there will be less new customers of it in the future due to the young anime fans preferring none mecha shows

Yeah, but there is going to be quite fewer younger people in Japan due to low birth rate and aging society.

I feel like Japan will go extinct for sure:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/05/16/national/social-issues/japan-becoming-extinct/
Oct 3, 2018 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
hotsushikun said:
deg said:

Yeah, but there is going to be quite fewer younger people in Japan due to low birth rate and aging society.

I feel like Japan will go extinct for sure:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/05/16/national/social-issues/japan-becoming-extinct/

thats a bigger problem than anime for sure

im just talking in general like all the young anime fans around the world like most of them do not like mecha shows
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

31 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

8 by Akuya »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

56 by RantingMarauder »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

18 by Daviljoe193 »»
32 minutes ago

» peak piece

Cyborgium - Mar 28

6 by SnipeStrike »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.