Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2018 12:20 PM
Aug 2018
Ohba the maker of death note described Light's life as "ruined" once he obtained the Death Note, and that Light became a victim of the Death Note "in many ways"

Am going to discuss them and how much of a deconstruct of light character is.
As you can see in the OP Ryuk is giving Light a apple in Christianity the apple represents false godhood and temptation and ever since light take a bite of that apple his life has gone to a downhill spiral.

Light has all of the hallmarks of a Stock Shonen Hero. A young, justice-loving Chaste Hero (a narcissistic Knight Templar with delusions of godhood) who discovers magical powers (a notebook that can be used to instantly murder anybody) and gains a Spirit Buddy (an amoral embodiment of death), makes a Worthy Opponent rival (a detective trying to apprehend him for his crimes) and picks up a persistent Genki Girl love interest (a vapid pop idol who's fanatically obsessed with him and, despite barely knowing him, is instantly willing to kill for, die for and marry him).

Now what made Light this way at the start of the show light was a bored genius who got everything he could ever want from the day he was born he win the game of life but because of that he could never saw the of value of it.
He was not born without a conscience when he find the Death note he didn't believe in to and only use it to release his bored and after he find out it was real he had a mental breakdown.

On its surface, Light seems to go from normal student to megalomaniac far too quickly. And yet, the God complex makes perfect sense if one looks at it as being a defense mechanism for Light as much as it is an expression of his arrogance. This is especially noticeable in the first chapter of the manga — where Light's absolute shock at having killed Shibuimaru "simply" for harassing a girl makes him almost throw up and try to justify himself. The fact that he can't say that Shibuimaru deserves to die forces him to rationalize his actions — and he does so under the premise that evil people need to be eliminated. But who has the right to judge others? Governments and societies (which Light can't feasibly utilize to justify himself) and...God, of course. This point is further reinforced by the fact that what makes Light snap at Lind L. Tailor is not that Tailor is going to try to catch him. It's when Tailor calls Kira evil that Light impulsively kills him which explains an other uncharacteristic lapse in judgement on cautious Light's part. In Light's own mind, he must be God, otherwise he's just another murderer and he isn't capable of living with that knowledge, having been "perfect" his entire life.

When Light give away the death note and lose his memories he become a completely different person from before he had the death note and after he showed compassion, a reluctance to manipulate others and an intense unwillingness to kill . What change Light into a better person simple he made a friend .

Someone as scary smart as Light attempting to conform to social norms (i.e. Surrounded by Idiots and bastards) would have had serious issues, maybe even the God complex to begin with, what with knowing he's smarter than everyone else and being excessively praised. It would be inconceivable to him that he was in the wrong because he's never wrong. That's why he yields to the power of the notebook so easily, what he's doing CAN'T be wrong, he's just come to the logical conclusion on how best to protect humanity. Now compare with L who was raised at a school for super-geniuses. He is actually willing to listen to other people's ideas and consider other points of view (even if he thinks he's right and they are dumb). While he's arrogant he doesn't think he's infallible. If Light was raised at Wammy's instead of having a so-called "perfect, normal life" where he's unable to relate to the people around him he probably wouldn't have developed a God complex, have learned to self-reflect, and wouldn't have taken that nosedive off the slippery slope if he ever came into contact with the Notebook

In the finally when he was caught he try to justify himself “I understood that killing people was a crime. There was no other way! The world had to be fixed! A purpose given to me! Only I could do it. Who else could have done it, and come this far? Would they have kept going? The only one… who can create a new world… is me.

Near called him out “No. You're just a murderer, Light Yagami. And this notebook is the deadliest weapon in the history of mankind. You yielded to the power of the Shinigami and the notebook and you have confused yourself with a god. In the end, you're nothing more than a crazy serial killer. That’s all you are. Nothing more, and nothing less.”

When Light had no more excuses he tried to kill everyone in the room gets shot by Matsuda . Light distraught and begins asking for help from Misa, only to be told by Aizawa that she isn't here. He then asks for Takada and is told that she is dead. In complete desperation, Light begs Ryuk to help him by killing everyone in the room, yet Ryuk reminds Light that he is on neither side. Ryuk fulfills his promise from the beginning: he writes "Light Yagami" in his Death Note, and Light futilely asks Ryuk to reverse the process. He begins to panic, repeating in his head "I don't want to die," before the Death Note finally takes effect thus killing him.

So what do you think of discuss
Of Death note itself
And the tragedy Light Yagami
Oct 1, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2015
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Light Yagami The "not Wise"?
zalOct 2, 2018 2:26 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2018 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Tragedy or no, light did on his own intent. Yes he died, yet he bacame the "GOD" in a new world as he wanted from the begining...
Oct 1, 2018 12:32 PM

Aug 2018
No, he was evil.
When he was without the death note he acted in a conceivable way according to that situation.

I never even once thought of Light as someone benign (that doesnt mean i didnt loved the crap out of him).
Also everything after ep 26 is a fanfic fight me.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Oct 1, 2018 12:58 PM

Apr 2018
Light is one of the typical examples of how too much power can even corrupt people with the best of intentions.
Oct 2, 2018 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
Another superficial thinker that tried to degrade Lights character. First there is no God in Death Note universe so its only logical for Light to think that because he's doing his work, passing judgement and giving justice to poor. Second Light gave pretty solid arguments at last which you purposely ignored, re-read the panel and come back here then tell me which sentence of his doesn't make sense from logical point of view. Near argument was dumb just like this post. After all that Light explained and he just gave a stupid moral dialogue "Ohh you just a murderer" just like him you don't think beyond this sentence.
Oct 2, 2018 2:26 AM

Oct 2010
Even though Light said that he'll kill criminals, he killed people who got in his way. He should've just kill less and kill N when he got the chance at the hotel scene.
Oct 2, 2018 2:32 AM

Nov 2017
Death Note isn't as great as people make it out to be, if Light is supposed to be smart then he makes some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen, he over complicates things when a situation can be resolved in a very simple way especially with his Death Note.
Oct 2, 2018 2:52 AM

May 2015
RapidShadow said:
Death Note isn't as great as people make it out to be, if Light is supposed to be smart then he makes some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen, he over complicates things when a situation can be resolved in a very simple way especially with his Death Note.
Like when he uses the insight he has about the police knowing his time schedule and uses that just to reveal himself knowing that he'd restrict the suspect to 50 people or so.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2018 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
zal said:
RapidShadow said:
Like when he uses the insight he has about the police knowing his time schedule and uses that just to reveal himself knowing that he'd restrict the suspect to 50 people or so.

If he did that then there would be no story. Mistakes are part of Death Note's brilliance.
Oct 2, 2018 3:55 AM

May 2015
Shamo6 said:
zal said:

If he did that then there would be no story. Mistakes are part of Death Note's brilliance.
I don't have an issue with him making a mistake but with him making a mistake knowing he was making a mistake reducing the suspects from thousand to 50 which doesn't seem like an intelligent choice.
Yeah on the meta analysis I would say that was made to speed up the investigation and put L on the tracks of Light but in-story I don't find it consistent with Light's character and his super cautious tricks.
Oct 2, 2018 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
zal said:
Shamo6 said:

I don't have an issue with him making a mistake but with him making a mistake knowing he was making a mistake reducing the suspects from thousand to 50 which doesn't seem like an intelligent choice.
Yeah on the meta analysis I would say that was made to speed up the investigation and put L on the tracks of Light but in-story I don't find it consistent with Light's character and his super cautious tricks.

He was young and he had done more than his age. Possessing death note means lack of mind peace and sleep. He was already going through enough and keeping up with school. Author made him do it so he doesn't turn into mary sue character, Even geniuses can make silly mistakes. I don't see any other way story catching up even if there is a more accurate way Author's have it pretty tough usually and he did pretty good. It seems like you're looking for perfection here which you shouldn't.
Oct 2, 2018 4:54 AM

May 2015
Shamo6 said:
zal said:

He was young and he had done more than his age. Possessing death note means lack of mind peace and sleep. He was already going through enough and keeping up with school. Author made him do it so he doesn't turn into mary sue character, Even geniuses can make silly mistakes. I don't see any other way story catching up even if there is a more accurate way Author's have it pretty tough usually and he did pretty good. It seems like you're looking for perfection here which you shouldn't.
However he didn't do a mistake, he made a conscientious choice to restrict the amount of suspects.
Oct 2, 2018 5:02 AM

Sep 2013
idk how but I think the story should've had 3 different ways of development, light's win, L's win and this ending we got so we could see more story/diferent perspectives from what happened ( even more ) and more of what could have happened if things went different
Oct 2, 2018 5:29 AM

Jul 2017
Light should have won to be completely honest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

25 by PostMahouShoujo »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 55 minutes ago

11 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 3 hours ago

11 by LightWorker »»
6 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

19 by IKKIsama »»
29 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 5 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.