Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2018 8:17 AM

Jan 2017
I mean the people who never drop an anime no matter how much they dislike it. They will complete any anime that they once start watching. Anyway, how do you "anime completionist" make yourself complete an anime that you obviously dislike? Doesn't it feel like a chore sometimes? And don't you get scared once you start a new anime because if it turns out bad then you've gotta suffer a lot of mental torture? Well, I am an "anime completionist" myself and completing certain anime feels like a chore sometimes.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 30, 2018 8:19 AM

Oct 2017
i know what you mean, i'm a completionist as well and i would have many dropped series by now if i allowed myself too

the most recent experience i had with this is tokyo ghoul, which was pretty bad and incredibly boring but i forced myself through the 12 episodes (i heard the adaptation was terrible anyway, and the manga was much better)
Sep 30, 2018 8:20 AM

Feb 2016
You put it on hold and pretend you never dropped an anime.
Sep 30, 2018 8:22 AM

Apr 2018
I never drop anime. If it’s that bad I’ll just turn my brain off and plow through the show while I do other things around my place, I’ll still get most out of the story and plot but I don’t give it as much attention as I would with anime I’m really enjoying
Sep 30, 2018 8:23 AM

May 2014
Not right now, but I plan to revisit my drops sometime in the future.
Sep 30, 2018 8:25 AM

Jan 2017
Ericonator said:

105 dropped?!
That's really gonna take a lot of time and you've gotta go through a lot of mental torture if you didn't like those anime in the first place. Chances are that you would even stop watching anime.

Sep 30, 2018 8:25 AM

Jan 2018
If a show is popular then I have to watch it to understand what people are talking about.
If a show is straight up shit or when I dont have the mood then I'll drop it
But the most important thing is that the +1 completed is so sastifying that keeps me want to complete an anime(even if it's not good)
Sep 30, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2014
swirlydragon said:
Ericonator said:

105 dropped?!
That's really gonna take a lot of time and you've gotta go through a lot of mental torture if you didn't like those anime in the first place. Chances are that you would even stop watching anime.
Well, I probably won't complete them all, but at least give them another chance to see if I still don't like them.
Sep 30, 2018 8:30 AM
Mar 2011
i am very much this type of person over all
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 30, 2018 8:30 AM

Oct 2017
Aquamirror said:

This guy gets it

I originally never planned on dropping any Anime but after watching Fairy Tail I changed my mind.
Sep 30, 2018 8:32 AM

Jan 2017
DateYutaka said:
i am very much this type of person over all

You told me that you work as an anime reviewer or something, right?
Well, at least you still earn money by completing the anime that you dislike.

Sep 30, 2018 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
Yes it feels like a chore and yes it's torture
Sep 30, 2018 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
I am a completionist, never dropped anything. My secret? Avoid long runners the most you can if you are not sure you are going to like them
Sep 30, 2018 9:10 AM
Dec 2017
ramaseta said:
i know what you mean, i'm a completionist as well and i would have many dropped series by now if i allowed myself too

the most recent experience i had with this is tokyo ghoul, which was pretty bad and incredibly boring but i forced myself through the 12 episodes (i heard the adaptation was terrible anyway, and the manga was much better)
Nah the manga and the anime were both trash
Sep 30, 2018 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
Nope.

If I'm watching something, and I hate it, then I'm going to drop it. There may be rare cases where I'd consider going back, and giving something a second chance, but it's rare.

I gave "Gunbuster" a second chance, because that OVA was only 6 episodes long, and I still didn't really enjoy it. I would never give something like "Maison Ikkoku" or "Urusei Yatsura" another chance, because they're collectively the worst Anime I've ever seen.

Sep 30, 2018 9:16 AM

May 2013
swirlydragon said:
I mean the people who never drop an anime no matter how much they dislike it. They will complete any anime that they once start watching. Anyway, how do you "anime completionist" make yourself complete an anime that you obviously dislike? Doesn't it feel like a chore sometimes? And don't you get scared once you start a new anime because if it turns out bad then you've gotta suffer a lot of mental torture? Well, I am an "anime completionist" myself and completing certain anime feels like a chore sometimes.

Yeah, kind of in the same boat as you. I tend to be quite tolerant and as a result, I don't like dropping shows because I prefer to enjoy an anime for what it has to offer (thereby making it worth my time) before forming an overview of it.

Although, the only shows I have dropped are long-running shounen-aimed shows. Namely : One Piece, Naruto Shippuden and Detective Conan. Being invested in over 200+ episodes for crap like these is enough to form a decent opinion on and expectations from the show respectively. And watching these turned into a real chore for me.

Being a picky with your tastes helps a good deal, although there's no guarantee that you won't drop the show you chose to watch. Then again, mere 12 or 24 episode series are nothing compared to overblown 250+ episode series, so I rarely drop shows.

KreatorXSep 30, 2018 9:37 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 30, 2018 9:17 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
It definitely does feel like a chore, but if I stop at episode 30/70 then I'm going to have to start over and find another 50+ episode show to watch.
40 vs 50+, you do the math.
Sep 30, 2018 9:18 AM
Jul 2017
I'm a near completionist. It is very rare for me to drop things even if I'm not enjoying them, I sort of just keep telling myself something good could happen and then put only half my attention on the show. Alternatively my trick to dropping things is that I set a rule where if I don't watch an ep from something for a month then it either gets dropped or paused depending on how I feel (ironically I pick back up dropped stuff more than paused)
Sep 30, 2018 9:18 AM

Apr 2014
anyone can be an anime completionist due to the glory of the sweet on-hold list.
Sep 30, 2018 9:24 AM

Apr 2018
Op we all know you won't ever continue dragon ball super and that the on hold list is the replacement of the dropped list for chiken hearted people like you
Sep 30, 2018 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
-SP- said:
Aquamirror said:

This guy gets it

I originally never planned on dropping any Anime but after watching Fairy Tail I changed my mind.

yeah i don't honestly see what's stopping people from just.. not watching an anime and saying they did.

who the fuck cares.
...but i guess if they are at the point where they have to finish an anime no matter how bad it is once they started it...they are beyond the point of just "completion".

It seems to be more a matter of personal pride. They can't bare the shock of their loss.

Kind of pathetic if you ask me, but who i am to judge.
Sep 30, 2018 9:31 AM

Aug 2016
I am an anime completionist.

There are several things:
-There is usually at least 1 thing that a show has that is at least average or better (even enjoyable). Whether it's visuals, characters, music, etc. If not....well.....I hope there will be something eventually.
-There's a chance that the series will get better. Even if it's a slight quality increase, it's good enough. If it's an episodic anime, there's a greater chance of me just not liking that story and I could move onto the next. If it's arc based, whenever you get to the next arc, there could be something interesting added that wasn't in the previous arc.
-I make sure that if it's a show that I dislike, that I can't watch a show I want to watch (excluding seasonals) until I finish the show I dislike. Actually a good motivation factor
-I picked blindly initially to accomplish goals that I made on a whim to "diversify" my list a little more. As completing it will get me one step closer, it serves as another motivation factor
-I hate not completing something that I started with. I don't want the feeling of "where did I left off" (pre-MAL) or trying to play catch up to the plot mid-season after picking it back up for some time and then have regrets of not finishing initially, starting it now, or have any thoughts of re-starting the series over again. In other words, I prefer to get things over with
-I feel that I can't criticize something until I finish it. Like, say a series changes direction, but if I drop at some point before the series changed direction and I made a criticism to something that got fixed, then I would be looking stupid
-Gets rid of any comments that say "you drop it too early before it got good", "it will get better", etc

(There might be a select few exceptions to the above, but the above certainly applies to most of the anime entries I've disliked)

MechKingKillbotSep 30, 2018 9:41 AM
Sep 30, 2018 9:32 AM

Oct 2017
jarring said:
-SP- said:

This guy gets it

yeah i don't honestly see what's stopping people from just.. not watching an anime and saying they did.

who the fuck cares.
...but i guess if they are at the point where they have to finish an anime no matter how bad it is once they started it...they are beyond the point of just "completion".

It seems to be more a matter of personal pride. They can't bare the shock of their loss.

Kind of pathetic if you ask me, but who i am to judge.

They follow their favorite Shounen characters motto To Never Give Up
Sep 30, 2018 9:40 AM

Aug 2017
being an anime completionist is a great way to force yourself to hate anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2018 10:01 AM
Jul 2017
The best way for me to avoid dropping an anime is to put it on hold and pretend that I’ll get back to it eventually XD
Sep 30, 2018 10:12 AM

Aug 2018
avdll said:
Pseudocompletionist here. If I watch something for a few eps and I think it's complete garbage, I just delete the entry and move on. If it's that bad, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned. But this rarely happens, as I tend to be very picky with what I watch.

That's pretty much what I do aswell. Especially with the not wanted to mention part. I like your way of thinking.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 30, 2018 11:42 AM

Feb 2016
not me, even though I have 0 dropped. I'm just not listing terrible anime in my profile
Sep 30, 2018 12:07 PM

Mar 2018
Hello to my fellow completionists!

If I dislike the anime I just watch one ep of it a day and switch to another which I'm more interested into.

Does it feel like a chore? Certainly.
Would it be better for me to just drop stuff that I dislike? I seriously doubt that.

For me it's kind of a mentality issue. I feel that if I drop a show, it would somehow become more disturbing than just biting the bullet and getting through it to the end. In other words, dropped shows would haunt me and it would be such a weight for me that I'd finish them anyway.

Also, the satisfaction of hitting that "completed" button is something that helps me endure unenjoyable shows.
Sep 30, 2018 12:13 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I used to have no drop mentality. I was justyfing it with that after completing all kinds of anime, I'll have a better view on the medium overall. It worked in one way or another, I have my own taste that way. I stopped doing that a while ago when I started feeling like it was a chore.
Well, even now I'll complete a show I found bad/mediocre. Usually it's when I'm past 50% or I give the show benefit of the doubt, that it can redeem itself.
Sep 30, 2018 12:23 PM

Apr 2016
Well it does say 'no drop policy' on my profile page. So no matter what, I'll stick to whatever I'm watching. But bad anime is a rare thing for me.
Sep 30, 2018 12:31 PM

Oct 2013
I used to be back when I watched purely out of boredom.
Sep 30, 2018 12:36 PM

Oct 2007
I'm certain I saw somewhere that you were leaving MAL

I hate dropping shows and plan to revisit everything I've dropped for a second chance one day.
Sep 30, 2018 12:37 PM

Feb 2013
lol comparing watching crappy cartoons with mental torture
Sep 30, 2018 12:38 PM
Apr 2017
i wanted to be a completionist but i just couldnt do it
some anime i pick along the way are not what i enjoy
Sep 30, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2016
Ex-anime completionist here. I believed that shows should be watched until the end in order to have a valid opinion of the show. Sure it might start off bad, but it could be one of those shows with a bad start that turns into something great.

I abondoned that thinking because I realized life is too short. I don't watch anime anywhere near as much as I used to, so I'm not gonna spend the little time I use to watch anime to watch something I'm not enjoying at all.
Sep 30, 2018 1:02 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Not a completionist, since life is too short to watch bad anime.
Sep 30, 2018 1:11 PM

Jul 2017
I always have other more interesting shows to watch alongside, so if I ever get too fatigued from the mental torture, I can always switch to the other show

But really for me, the only mental torture is when the show is too boring (like Stray Cats Overrun). Sometimes it's fun watching shows that are just crap
Sep 30, 2018 1:11 PM

Aug 2017
Long and proud no-dropper here!

*"how do you "anime completionist" make yourself complete an anime that you obviously dislike?"

Most of the them are "so bad that it's good". There are some exceptions.

*"Doesn't it feel like a chore sometimes?"

Honestly no, but if I choose incorrectly, yeah.

*"And don't you get scared once you start a new anime because if it turns out bad then you've gotta suffer a lot of mental torture?"

I tried to avoid 2-cour shows in that case and, obviously, long runners. 1-cour shows end quick. Of course, I tried to avoid genres where that I get bored so easily like drama, especially if the drama ended up being shit.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 30, 2018 1:56 PM

Jan 2013
You can say I'm a completionist, but the thing is that not finishing my anime makes me extremely anxious for some reason lol.

And sometimes watching bad anime isn't that bad of an experience. I quite of enjoy 99% of the anime I watch in one way or another.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 30, 2018 2:02 PM

Oct 2016
I was like that when I just got into anime, but now I just watch things for my enjoyment. I'm not going to force myself thru something anymore just so my 'dropped' list stays empty. Having said that, I should really drop this tv series I started on, it's such a drag.
Sep 30, 2018 2:10 PM

Oct 2014
I have the rule that if I at least make it through the first episode then I have to complete that entry (with a few exceptions, like One Piece and Sonic X for obvious reasons). I mostly do it just to keep up the trend of not dropping, but I'm also a bit of a masochist so I find it fun to see how bad anime can be or even to find the minor things that can still make bad anime enjoyable to finish.
Sep 30, 2018 2:36 PM

Apr 2018
I really hate dropping an anime. No matter how terrible it is. I am always left with the feeling, "what if something good happens after this?". So I try to complete everything I start.

If an anime is really unbearable, I'd start playing on my phone while watching or set the speed to 2x. This has helped me to reach the conclusion whether I liked it or not.
Sep 30, 2018 2:39 PM

Jul 2017
Im a perfectionist

I never allow myself to discontinue anything just because I don't like it or I'm bad at it or I'm tired, it's hard, it's troublesome or whatever and anime is a big thing in my life
Sep 30, 2018 2:39 PM

May 2014
No, i'm not the type to complete something i don't enjoy. I don't think anyone should force themselves through a show they don't like. You don't owe the anime anything, if it's not enjoyable for you then it's failed as a piece of entertainment. Use that time to watch a better anime.
Sep 30, 2018 3:07 PM
Aug 2017
HERE, HERE, IM HERE!!

I would consider myself an "anime completionist" because I have never dropped an anime I've started. I even have some of my friends pick out the shittiest animes just to see if I can watch it XD
Sep 30, 2018 3:18 PM

Sep 2018
Can someone explain to me what exactly makes putting a show on the dropped list so hard for them?

Sep 30, 2018 3:43 PM

May 2015
This pretty much summarizes the type of anime completionist that I am:
Sep 30, 2018 3:49 PM

Aug 2009
I used to be a hardcore completionist, but now I drop anime like a bad date.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 30, 2018 4:06 PM

Aug 2014
I'm a completionist ("Dropping is for the weak!" is my motto) and take it one step further: When I watch an anime, I watch everything in the franchise, including harder-to-find titles. However, I only start things I intend on finishing.

The best way to make it through things you aren't crazy about without going crazy yourself is to make fun of them. I mean, Petit Eva: Evangelion@School was one of the most enjoyable and amusing anime experiences I've ever had even though it's a laughably (I literally laughed at every episode) terrible anime.

To those who do drop anime: Just don't talk about things you haven't seen. (And when I say seen, I mean finished.) I always cringe when I see people talk crap about things they barely know anything about.
Sep 30, 2018 4:08 PM

Apr 2018
avdll said:
Pseudocompletionist here. If I watch something for a few eps and I think it's complete garbage, I just delete the entry and move on. If it's that bad, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned. But this rarely happens, as I tend to be very picky with what I watch.

That's basically me as well. If I can stomach at least 5 episodes of it and have not read the manga, I grit my teeth and finish it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

19 by Blowingbeauty »»
32 seconds ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

57 by mo_lave »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

98 by FFandMMfan »»
15 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

55 by Shizuna »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 16

15 by KayKimii »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.