Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2018 9:20 AM
a car

Jun 2017
(This thread applies to Boku no Hero Academia anime Seasons 1-3. I didn't know which board to post it on so I picked the most relevant.)

This is something that's bothered me for a while, not so much because of the fact that "some people" don't like one of my favorite franchises, but more so because of the almost exclusive negative attention it garners.

I personally don't understand. The first thing to guess is "because it's popular" but I've seen less criticism toward stuff like One Piece or SAO which are much more popular than HeroAca.

Is it coincidence that I just "so happened" to see a lot of criticism toward this series at a consistent rate? Is it because the Anituber Who Must Not Be Named loves this series?

Again I'm not trying to refute people who dislike this series I just want to know what drives them to pick on this specific show when there's a lot of other popular or legitimately bad stuff out there.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 28, 2018 10:12 AM

Sep 2017
It is because it's popular and with anime haters are pretty easy to find, specially on MAL. Anime like SAO or My Hero Academia are shows that are bound to get a great amount of people who love the show and that will always bring people who hate them just for the reason that other people like it. They might not even watched more than two episodes of the show but instead of just dropping the show, they just give it a 1/10 rating and write a big fucking review about stupid shit they don't like so nobody can like it.

My advice just watch what you enjoy watching and don't care about haters cause honestly it is just anime.
Sep 28, 2018 10:15 AM

Sep 2018
I think it js pretty much like SAO in that regard where some people like it but because of its popularity many like to dislike it. I think SAO did not get as much dislike generally due to many fans not really denying the criticisms toward the show which became a accepted opinion.
Sep 28, 2018 11:34 AM

Mar 2018
When something gets liked by a huge amount of people, it always gets a proportionnal amount of hate. It's been like that for everything, Game Of Thrones, Stranger Things, Attack On Titan...

I'd also say that it's got a pretty cancerous fanbase, but again, what popular show hasn't ?

And finally, MAL is a website full of haters, if you want to see people who enjoy it and discuss respectfully about it, then Reddit is way better.

Sep 28, 2018 2:03 PM
Sep 2018
Its a historical problem. We had to many shonen animes in the past, a few good and some mediocre to bad. People get tired of long standing animes that comes in recent era.

They tend to find the minimal details they had seen in those archetypes of anime, and then proceed to bash on in bnh, ignoring anything positive that stands diferent from the rest.

And judging by how popular and well received BNH has become, it suffers the cost of popularity: people extreme to liking it and thouse who dislike it.

And because we had to many shonen animes in the past, the army of those who already dislike the genre, comes to hate as well.

Most of the time, people will come to hate for the sake of hating, and this feeds the brainless necessity of others to hate as well. Also because it is well received and want to show their insatisfaction.

Thus this explain why other animes like naruto or one piece or SAO, get less hate on a constant base (it doesnt mean it stopped). They were one of the first of the genres before becoming popular, so they become kinda immune to this rule.
HecticScytheSep 28, 2018 2:20 PM
Sep 28, 2018 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
Florent3571 said:
When something gets liked by a huge amount of people, it always gets a proportionnal amount of hate. It's been like that for everything, Game Of Thrones, Stranger Things, Attack On Titan...

I'd also say that it's got a pretty cancerous fanbase, but again, what popular show hasn't ?

And finally, MAL is a website full of haters, if you want to see people who enjoy it and discuss respectfully about it, then Reddit is way better.

You mean the website that loves to circlejerk?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 28, 2018 3:37 PM

Aug 2017
JeXxTaR said:
MHA is more overrated than SAO and One Piece

And thus an example of said discriminatory hate.

Really are just a bunch of piss-offs bitching & moaning.

Tis better to try & ignore them..... or just avoid forums really.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Sep 28, 2018 3:40 PM
Sep 2018
Slimcoder said:
JeXxTaR said:
MHA is more overrated than SAO and One Piece

Exactly, its better for your mental state and to your overall enjoyment. IMO forums are a reason why people quit an anime before they even start watching to form their own judgement.

Be happy and stay away from foruns, you enjoy an anime? Good. This is all that matters, nothing else.
Sep 28, 2018 3:50 PM

Aug 2017
HecticScythe said:
Slimcoder said:

Exactly, its better for your mental state and to your overall enjoyment. IMO forums are a reason why people quit an anime before they even start watching to form their own judgement.

Be happy and stay away from foruns, you enjoy an anime? Good. This is all that matters, nothing else.

Truer words have never been spoken.

You are truly an intelligent person Scythe, sadly the same cannot be said for a lot of people on this site & I really mean a lot.

You have my respect.
Sep 28, 2018 4:02 PM
Sep 2018
Slimcoder said:
HecticScythe said:

Truer words have never been spoken.

You are truly an intelligent person Scythe, sadly the same cannot be said for a lot of people on this site & I really mean a lot.

You have my respect.

MAL is like RL: you form your judgement and people can judge and criticize you for that, its a sad reality.

What is good though, is form the circle of trust of people you like to debate, not to those who say: HURP. THIS ANIME IS GARBAGE, DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE EVEN WATCH IT, THEY ARE DUMB, 0/10. Of course, everyone will dislike something, but at least make an argument in respect of others, for god's sake.

Thx mate, you too have my respect
Sep 28, 2018 7:44 PM
Sep 2018
JeXxTaR said:
Slimcoder said:

HecticScythe said:

MAL is like RL: you form your judgement and people can judge and criticize you for that, its a sad reality.

What is good though, is form the circle of trust of people you like to debate, not to those who say: HURP. THIS ANIME IS GARBAGE, DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE EVEN WATCH IT, THEY ARE DUMB, 0/10. Of course, everyone will dislike something, but at least make an argument in respect of others, for god's sake.

Thx mate, you too have my respect

Are you blind?
I never said that I hate MHA

Hmm... normally when someone says only “X anime is overrated” without any other sort of argument to sustain it, it gives the impression of another standard hater, but if that’s not the case, sorry for the miscommunication
Sep 28, 2018 11:15 PM
May 2018
First of all, if you enjoy watching it then keep watching it. Just because other people don’t like it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t too. But since you asked, i’m gonna explain.

I don’t enjoy MHA that much because of a couple reasons.

They waste their time fighting each other rather than fighting the villains. I think the tournament arc took like 12 episodes? That’s stupid.

Nobody dies. Seriously, i’ve seen first 2 seasons and first half of season 3 and i don’t remember anyone important dying. It’s been a while though so i might have just forgot.

Most of the battles depend on nothing else but who is the stronger one. All Might is struggling to beat that muscular monster from season 1? Let’s punch even faster...

Characters suck. I have no problem with Deku being a crybaby but ‘‘I wanna be like All Might and save everyone’’ feels cheap you know.
Bakugou is straight up an asshole and is jut too fucking annoying. The whole reason he exists is to annoy Deku so the show feels more shounen-ish.
All Might... i think he’s not that bad honestly.
Sep 28, 2018 11:45 PM

Feb 2011
Frostbain said:
First of all, if you enjoy watching it then keep watching it. Just because other people don’t like it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t too. But since you asked, i’m gonna explain.

They waste their time fighting each other rather than fighting the villains. I think the tournament arc took like 12 episodes? That’s stupid.

Nobody dies. Seriously, i’ve seen first 2 seasons and first half of season 3 and i don’t remember anyone important dying. It’s been a while though so i might have just forgot.

Most of the battles depend on nothing else but who is the stronger one. All Might is struggling to beat that muscular monster from season 1? Let’s punch even faster...

Characters suck. I have no problem with Deku being a crybaby but ‘‘I wanna be like All Might and save everyone’’ feels cheap you know.
Bakugou is straight up an asshole and is jut too fucking annoying. The whole reason he exists is to annoy Deku so the show feels more shounen-ish.

Pls go away with nobody dies.
I hate it, a character grows on you, and then he just dies. If this happened to a certain character in the anime, the anime would be destroyed for me.

But otherwise good examples.
Sep 28, 2018 11:59 PM

Apr 2016
Welcome to 2018, where we can discriminate a cartoon show.
Sep 29, 2018 12:10 AM

Mar 2018
Frostbain said:

I kinda hear you about the nobody dies part. But this time I think it's justified. The author is the kind of person who plans things, and who knows where his characters will go. So imo if a character isn't dead then it means it'll still have a somewhat relevance to the story.

And also when you think about it, death is the easiest way to grow an attachment to a show, so MHA not jumping into it right now is in a way rewardable. (I'm not saying that shows who often kill charaters are not)

Finally about the characters, like I said in another thread, there's nothing that could change your mind. The writing is the one thing in a show that cannot be appreciate the same way by everyone unlike animation or soundtrack. It's your personnal interpretation that defines your liking of a charater.
Florent3571Sep 29, 2018 2:20 AM
Sep 29, 2018 2:59 AM
Nov 2016
The thing is that, MHA is popular and is also acknowledged to be good. Which turns off edgy people who believe that hating it will make them seem more mature. And these people are VERY vocal.

One Piece doesn't receive this amount of hate because it's widely accepted as a legendary series (and rightly so) and has a fanbase that will eat you alive if you make any ill informed comments about the series.

SAO is a different story, the anime has a fanbase which says that it's one of the best anime ever made but the show itself has so many problems with the plot, characters and the pacing that people who dislike it are forced to hate it because of the fanbase(I must admit that even the MHA fanbase can be like this at times, especially because reviewers seem to like the show), add to that the fact that the MC is probably the worst main character we've seen from a popular franchise in a while and you've got full blown hate.
Sep 29, 2018 3:17 AM

Feb 2018
Most of he more popular shows either have a fanbase that ll burn you alive if you say anything negative about their favorite show or already received so much hate that nobody feels like adding even more. Also Mha gets sequels in a yearly basis which are usually highly rated and take a lot of awards at the Crunchyroll anime awards which also fuels the hate.
Sep 29, 2018 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
xShinigami3125 said:
Most of he more popular shows either have a fanbase that ll burn you alive if you say anything negative about their favorite show or already received so much hate that nobody feels like adding even more. Also Mha gets sequels in a yearly basis which are usually highly rated and take a lot of awards at the Crunchyroll anime awards which also fuels the hate.

Did you saw the fanfics of Midoriya and Bakugou ? No wonder its winning CR awards.
Sep 29, 2018 3:36 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
One Piece >> HeroAca and all your favourites combined. Deal with it. #Bait
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 29, 2018 3:37 AM

Feb 2018
Swagernator said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Did you saw the fanfics of Midoriya and Bakugou ? No wonder its winning CR awards.

Just cuz it has some fujoshi fans ? Fujoshi aren't the majority of the anime community and the Crunchyroll anime awards are all about popularity.
Sep 29, 2018 4:27 AM

May 2018
This series is fine by me, only watch it for the fight scenes. In my case most people i know didn't really hate MHA it at first, but after some MHA fans couldn't stop blabbering "best anime evah" and adding some political correctness, they start to hate it. Most hate comes in season 3 where the series popularity reached high level, i didn't see hate like this in season 1 & 2.
Sep 29, 2018 4:29 AM

Oct 2007
It is the current "big thing", so it's become trendy to hate it. Don't pay any attention, the crowd will soon move onto hating something else.
Sep 29, 2018 5:15 AM

Mar 2018
Maybe people dont want to see a generic show. Thy want something "unique" and MHA is not one of those "unique" anime
Sep 29, 2018 5:21 AM

Feb 2015
Most people who hype up My Hero seem to be very new to anime, so they praise the show for things that are nothing special or don't even exist in it. There is pretty much a whole youtube community dedicated to writing hour long analysis viedos about why My Hero is subversive, a deconstruction, not like other shounen at all, etc... It's like they're making money with their own ignorance. And the Hero fanboys blindly eat that shit up.
Sep 29, 2018 5:21 AM

May 2018
Because it is an overrated run of the mill shounen drivel with a two-dimensional and trope reliant cast of 90% background characters.

The fact that we were able to predict so easily really shows how uninspired and formulaic the series is.
Sep 29, 2018 5:36 AM
Apr 2017
AzuFarisNyan said:
Because it is an overrated run of the mill shounen drivel with a two-dimensional and trope reliant cast of 90% background characters.

The fact that we were able to predict so easily really shows how uninspired and formulaic the series is.
err...you dropped it after the first episode and gave it a 1.
Sep 29, 2018 5:44 AM
Aug 2018
I watch very few anime.
When I saw/read My Hero Academia for the first time, didn't think much of it. It looked like another mediocre/above average action series, and I had enough of that with Bleach. Then, people started talking about it nonstop, so I decided to watch it again and discuss with others about this show. And that's the problem I have with this.
''I don't like My Hero Academia, here's why''
'''YOU ONLY HATE IT CAUSE IT'S POPULAR BEGONE HATER!!!11!!11''
I'm not here to tell you to stop liking whatever you like. But putting every person who doesn't feel that positive towards it into the same sack and disregarding all criticism as ''mindless hate/trolling/lol that doesn't count'' seems annoying to me.
I don't hate this show. It has its problems, and I like to poke fun at it for them. But this show's fanbase has proved time and time again that it's not possible to have a proper conversation with twelve year olds.
Sep 29, 2018 5:58 AM

Mar 2018
asdf9911 said:
I watch very few anime.
When I saw/read My Hero Academia for the first time, didn't think much of it. It looked like another mediocre/above average action series, and I had enough of that with Bleach. Then, people started talking about it nonstop, so I decided to watch it again and discuss with others about this show. And that's the problem I have with this.
''I don't like My Hero Academia, here's why''
'''YOU ONLY HATE IT CAUSE IT'S POPULAR BEGONE HATER!!!11!!11''
I'm not here to tell you to stop liking whatever you like. But putting every person who doesn't feel that positive towards it into the same sack and disregarding all criticism as ''mindless hate/trolling/lol that doesn't count'' seems annoying to me.
I don't hate this show. It has its problems, and I like to poke fun at it for them. But this show's fanbase has proved time and time again that it's not possible to have a proper conversation with twelve year olds.

It's a shame that you faced this situation.

There are atrocious people on both sides, hater who say only low-IQ 12-yo anime beginner likes it, and fanboys that can't accept critisism.

Guess it's a curse of the medium.
Sep 29, 2018 8:44 AM

Jan 2013
AshitaNoJonas said:
Most people who hype up My Hero seem to be very new to anime, so they praise the show for things that are nothing special or don't even exist in it. There is pretty much a whole youtube community dedicated to writing hour long analysis viedos about why My Hero is subversive, a deconstruction, not like other shounen at all, etc... It's like they're making money with their own ignorance. And the Hero fanboys blindly eat that shit up.
Pretty much.
Just tell them to pick up a comic book.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 29, 2018 9:36 AM

Aug 2017
Cabron said:
AshitaNoJonas said:
Pretty much.
Just tell them to pick up a comic book.

With the current state of Marvel & DC, I wouldn't wish those comics on my worst enemy.
Sep 29, 2018 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
It's a recurring issue in general. However recently I've been noticing people getting more aggressive towards MHA to an absurd level when it comes to the community, to the point where it goes out of their way to assume people's own standards of content (when for one thing that's subjective and the second thing that's still towards the person's perception or like) so, yeah.

I don't have anything against MHA haters or detractors as a whole, hell I'm fine with people criticizing what I like. My issue comes to where it comes to petty bs.

Granted that's a bit hypocritical coming from me, perhaps. However, as far as I'm concerned I tackle more on the arguments being presented within the person that's arguing about, rather than the person themselves. That's the difference here.
Sep 29, 2018 9:53 AM

Jan 2015
Because it's one of the worst shounens ever made, YET it gets such a hype. It's trash and overrated, that's why it gets the hate it deserves -which is not enough IMO.
It also has one of the worst fanbase ever.

@Florent3571 reddit LMAO. r/ anime is a garbage place to be at tbh.
BestBoiErenSep 29, 2018 9:57 AM
Sep 29, 2018 10:05 AM

Aug 2017
ImAWeebUwU said:
Because it's one of the worst shounens ever made, YET it gets such a hype. It's trash and overrated, that's why it gets the hate it deserves -which is not enough IMO.

Ah excellent timing. This guy right here is the purest example of a hater ever.

Talks a lot but says very little with the vocabulary & mentality of a 5-year old.

No actual critique or anything, just plain bitching & whining, willing to take any little opportunity for the cheapest potshot no matter how it makes them look like a little bitch baby.

MHA isn't perfect, nothing is (well Fullmetal Alchemist is of course) but the sheer lengths people go to bag on it is just stupid as Hell. Undeniable proof that humanity is a species full of absolute brainless brutes & morons.
Sep 29, 2018 10:06 AM
Jun 2016
Typical MAL users comparing everything to SAO. The circlejerk continues when will you move on from it?
Sep 29, 2018 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
It's par for the course for popular shonen series. BnHA was somehow getting praise despite being painfully average when it first began so now the criticism (or "hate") is catching up with it.

Think of it as the show reaching equilibrium
Sep 29, 2018 10:16 AM

Oct 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
Swagernator said:

Just cuz it has some fujoshi fans ? Fujoshi aren't the majority of the anime community and the Crunchyroll anime awards are all about popularity.

The dude's butthurt over a certain fan base...
Sep 29, 2018 10:23 AM

Nov 2013
Because anime fans feel the need to hate on anything popular.

Sep 29, 2018 10:25 AM

Feb 2018
KatsutoSaki said:
xShinigami3125 said:

The dude's butthurt over a certain fan base...

I know I always see him writing stuff about them.
Sep 29, 2018 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
i absolutely hate HMA heres a few reasons

its extremely boring i generally coulndnt make it to the 4th episode

the charterers are boring and uninteresting the main character is extramly annoying

tbh i think it deserves all the hate maybe then people will realize how bad it actually is
Sep 29, 2018 10:48 AM

Aug 2017
Nero_Angelo said:

the charterers are boring and uninteresting the main character is extramly annoying

tbh i think it deserves all the hate maybe then people will realize how bad it actually is

Says the characters are boring & uninteresting yet couldn't even make it past the 4th episode.

Sounds about right.
Sep 29, 2018 10:54 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This discussion is ridiculous. What hate? Look at the insanely high score this has and almost overwhelming praise in the comments and discussion. You want hate? Check out Aku no Hana (the anime). Now that's hate!

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 29, 2018 10:55 AM

Dec 2017
SAO gets less criticism than BnHA? What are you on mate? I'd love to have some... I mean seriously, freaking everybody loves BnHA, stop trying to feel sorry for yourself because you saw some negative criticism against your precious anime.
NickDenSep 29, 2018 10:58 AM
Sep 29, 2018 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Slimcoder said:
Nero_Angelo said:

Says the characters are boring & uninteresting yet couldn't even make it past the 4th episode.

Sounds about right.

yeah well is the first few characters arnt interesting well that donst really bode well for the rest of them im sorry if i dont want waste my time on a shitty anime
Sep 29, 2018 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
Slimcoder said:
Nero_Angelo said:

Sounds about right.
lol i love MAL xD

i mean i get that they dislike the characters but to claim they're all boring and uninteresting without getting to see them or their backstories is a bit shallow.

just say you found the show boring and move on.
Sep 29, 2018 11:05 AM

Aug 2017
Nero_Angelo said:
Slimcoder said:

Sounds about right.

yeah well is the first few characters arnt interesting well that donst really bode well for the rest of them im sorry if i dont want waste my time on a shitty anime

Oh yes its a shitty anime just because you yourself didn't like the first 3 eps.

The show simply didn't interest you, that's it. It doesn't make it a bad show. Horror games don't interest me but that doesn't make them bad games.
Sep 29, 2018 11:23 AM

Jan 2015
Slimcoder said:
ImAWeebUwU said:

Talks a lot but says very little with the vocabulary & mentality of a 5-year old.

No actual critique or anything, just plain bitching & whining, willing to take any little opportunity for the cheapest potshot no matter how it makes them look like a little bitch baby.

MHA isn't perfect, nothing is (well Fullmetal Alchemist is of course) but the sheer lengths people go to bag on it is just stupid as Hell. Undeniable proof that humanity is a species full of absolute brainless brutes & morons.

And this guy is the perfect example of a stupid fanboy who thinks he is smart, while having less than 10 IQ.
Sep 29, 2018 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Slimcoder said:
Nero_Angelo said:

Oh yes its a shitty anime just because you yourself didn't like the first 3 eps.

The show simply didn't interest you, that's it. It doesn't make it a bad show. Horror games don't interest me but that doesn't make them bad games.

yeah ok i find them uninteresting for me but it it dont help the fact thats its boring and the plot is pretty dull before you say anything i know what happens as a friend told me as we where talking about a while ago it as hes watched the whole season

but hay thoughs are just my opinions and if you or anyone else dont like them well thats to bad eveyones allowed their own opinions
Sep 29, 2018 11:29 AM

Aug 2017
ImAWeebUwU said:
Slimcoder said:

And this guy is the perfect example of a stupid fanboy who thinks he is smart, while having less than 10 IQ.

Spoken like a true bitch baby. You need your wittle bottle or is just it time for your nap?
Sep 29, 2018 11:29 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Who criticized boku no hero academia I found no one..

Sep 29, 2018 11:32 AM

Jan 2014
season 4 will be garbage, this series will become new fairy tail
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

169 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 3:26 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2018

230 by Vindicater »»
Apr 13, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

52 by Lushi7 »»
Apr 12, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 12, 2018

217 by Vindicater »»
Apr 10, 12:45 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

243 by Vindicater »»
Apr 9, 4:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.