Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Free!: Dive to the Future' Gets Sequel

New
Sep 26, 2018 10:09 AM

Nov 2007

At the end of the final episode of Free! Dive to the Future TV anime on Thursday, it has been announced that the story will continue in 2020. It does not yet indicate if the continuation will be another TV series or in other formats.

Free! series was originally based on High☆Speed! light novel series that released in July 2013 to July 2014. Free! received three series that broadcasted in Summer 2013 to this summer by Kyoto Animation and Animation Do. High☆Speed! later received movie adaptation, which premiered in December 2015. Before third season, the series received two recap Timeless Melody movies and one special screening last year. A prequel episode to the third season was screened this June, and first volume, released on Wednesday, includes it along with first two episodes. "Blue Destination," a special ending theme song that was played in the final episode, will be included in the soundtrack titled Deep Blue Harmony releasing on October 10.

Special PV

Source: Nijimen

Free! (2020) on MAL
tsubasaloverDec 5, 2018 9:14 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 26, 2018 10:25 AM

Apr 2018
Sep 26, 2018 10:40 AM

Nov 2014
KyoAni's gonna flog this horse to death, I swear.

Loved 1st season, thought 2nd was unnecessary but still serviceable, and this latest season has been super underwhelming.
Won't be coming back for anymore swim bois, this franchise has run its course
CureEtudeSep 26, 2018 10:43 AM
Sep 26, 2018 10:42 AM

Apr 2016
I mean, why not ? If mindless ecchi can get one season after another why not this mindless fanservice ?

It's not like people are watching either for actual plot.
Sep 26, 2018 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
Great news! I really enjoyed s3 and I really appreciated the focus on competitive swimming. Looking forward to this sequel! <3
Sep 26, 2018 11:14 AM

Feb 2011
KyoAni this is not Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Season 2. What seems to be the issue here ?
Sep 26, 2018 11:33 AM
Apr 2015
they have unlimited fund for this kind of anime.
Sep 26, 2018 12:06 PM

Aug 2018
Kyoto Animation, what are you doing? I don't want this from you guys. I want a second season of Dragon Maid (RVIOLI RAVIOLI!! AME AME AME!!!) or a K-On!!! season 3 (you know, the Highschool/College arc).

>:-@
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 26, 2018 12:27 PM
Feb 2018
What's this anime's secret? Getting one season after another.
Sep 26, 2018 12:31 PM

Apr 2013
A_silent_Being said:
What's this anime's secret? Getting one season after another.

Never underestimate the power and money of thirsty yaoi fangirls.
Sep 26, 2018 12:38 PM

Mar 2016
two more years in swim hell i guess?? we'll never be free of free! and i couldn't be happier about it

Sep 26, 2018 12:40 PM

May 2018
Sigh, they should just animate a 3rd season of K-on! with ~50% original material like before if they've the time for thousand seasons of Free!

Not going to watch.
Sep 26, 2018 1:03 PM

Mar 2018
"Gets sequel after Season 3"

lol ok but Dragon Maid still needs a Season 2
Sep 26, 2018 1:47 PM

Aug 2017
it deserves it, Every season of Free up until now has been finna lit for me, Quite enjoyable overall! Gonna be looking forward to that new season...
Sep 26, 2018 2:33 PM
May 2017
Is the image a Cowboy Bebop reference? lol
Sep 26, 2018 2:42 PM

Mar 2014
We can certainly hope the next installment will be better than s3. I expected this considering how much they've teased the Olympics and also the fact that the Olympics in 2020 take place in Tokyo.

Still really bummed that they skipped Haru and Rin's race though :/
Sep 26, 2018 3:32 PM

Feb 2013
Yessssssssssssssss! Almost fell of the chair at the end of the episode when saw the announcement, THANK YOU KYOANI!!
Sep 26, 2018 4:29 PM
Oct 2015
Hatsuyuki said:
KyoAni this is not Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Season 2. What seems to be the issue here ?

Nothing, Free! sells much better than Dragon Maid.
Sep 26, 2018 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
Uhh I'm seeing the comments here and I'm asking... are there really people asking for a sequel for K-On? I mean, the movie pretty much ended the series entirely, so I don't really see any much of a point in making a sequel when there's a closure to it.

As for Dragon Maid I can somewhat see it but either:

1. Not enough manga chapters at the moment to warrant a sequel (and if they go on and make it then they will have to do fillers which, Idk how that will work).

2. Maybe they're waiting for a chance to go and make it?

Either way not like KyoAni is completely at helm over Dragon Maid since if I remember right part of it is connected to Animation Do. Their sub-studio. So if anything, maybe ask them? Idk.

I think it would make sense for something like Haruhi or Hyouka or Nichijou... ya know, shows that do leave more space for a continuation and/or have more content to cover?

With that being said I can't really comment on the news of the sequel, but considering I don't have anything against the fact of Free getting a sequel and from what I've gathered the only issue is like two characters, I HIGHLY doubt that will deter my enjoyment.
removed-userSep 26, 2018 5:12 PM
Sep 26, 2018 6:10 PM

Jan 2016
Oh damn, I need to start this series now.
Sep 26, 2018 9:05 PM
Feb 2012
we don't need more Free! but we certainly don't need anymore K-On! or Dragon Maid
of course some idiots will never let K-On go, it's D E A D
Sep 26, 2018 9:08 PM

Sep 2007
Yessss more Rei screentime plz
Sep 26, 2018 9:09 PM

Mar 2010
Lol, wow another season
hope i get some motivation to start season 1
Sep 26, 2018 10:15 PM

Jul 2014
I will be waiting eternally for my second season of Amagi Brilliant Park........I need more Sento :/
Sep 27, 2018 2:24 AM

Nov 2007
Special PV added
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 27, 2018 4:54 AM

Apr 2018
I need my kanon after story with the same concept of clannad as
I need my 24 air remake
I want my rewrite remake
Sep 27, 2018 5:32 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
This is getting a continuation, huh? Well, OK. I've only seen the first 2 seasons of Free! so far.

I wish KyoAni would consider giving a continuation for Nichijou too. ._.
Sep 27, 2018 5:38 AM

Mar 2016
I'm so glad this is getting another project, I hope it's another season.
Sep 27, 2018 6:47 AM

Apr 2011
Ugh. Seriously???
Why not do a Haruhi sequel or a Hyouka movie? You know, somethin that isn't just fujoshi fodder? I mean I can understand that it's popular, but it's had SO much media already, it feels like a huge waste of Kyoani talent at this point. :[
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Sep 27, 2018 7:24 AM

Mar 2008
GOOD. great news~~ need more free!

Sep 27, 2018 8:03 AM

Mar 2015
GOOD give me more fanservice
Sep 27, 2018 10:06 AM

Nov 2012
please let it be better than season three...!!!
at the very least i'm excited for more rin
Sep 27, 2018 11:03 AM

Sep 2018
More gay stuff? Sure why not, yet i've dropped the serie long time ago!
Sep 27, 2018 1:53 PM

Aug 2014
THANK YOU BASED GOD KYOANI??? IM SO HAPPY IM GENUINELY REALLY HAPPY

i've grown up loving these boys !!!!!!!! i'll be in college by the time the new season comes out, and i started watching free! when i was in middle school :00
Sep 27, 2018 1:58 PM

Oct 2011
At this point, not surprised. I hope they have families soon :3

Sep 27, 2018 7:29 PM
Nov 2013
Hatsuyuki said:
That one of those series makes 5x more money than the other.
Sep 28, 2018 12:43 AM

Jan 2011
Tbh, I don't think it'll be another season...

I think it's just a greeting/invitation for 2020 Tokyo Olympics (as this is a sports anime lol)

Sep 28, 2018 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
all of these salty people in the comments here, lmao
I' super happy and super hyped. BTW, how about the 3rd season of K-ON? :D
It'd be great.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 28, 2018 9:48 AM

Jun 2016
I dont even watch free anymore (all i could take was season 1) but it pains me to see so many stupid people that dont want there to be more seasons of an anime that a lot of fans do like. If they are making a new season is because free is currently what they make that is selling more and you hypocrites want them to use it all on new seasons of anime you like, disregarding from what it came from in the first place. Just respect the fans without attacking the anime, ffs..

ecchiharemgeek said:

@64BitRatchet said:

Unfortunately male sexism/objectifion of men sells

Dafuq, go see the amount of ecchi and harem anime there is in comparison to reverse harem or ""fujobait""and then say something, lmao.
Sep 28, 2018 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
AyumiVk said:
I dont even watch free anymore (all i could take was season 1) but it pains me to see so many stupid people that dont want there to be more seasons of an anime that a lot of fans do like. If they are making a new season is because free is currently what they make that is selling more and you hypocrites want them to use it all on new seasons of anime you like, disregarding from what it came from in the first place. Just respect the fans without attacking the anime, ffs..

ecchiharemgeek said:

Dafuq, go see the amount of ecchi and harem anime there is in comparison to reverse harem or ""fujobait""and then say something, lmao.

Thank you, so fucking much! That's something that I wanted to say in this thread because, crud... this is just, a bit ridiculous.

Now granted one has every right to say what they have to say but hey it's kind of a condesending attitude when you think about it.
Sep 28, 2018 10:16 AM
Apr 2018
AyumiVk said:

ecchiharemgeek said:

@wasshio

Except There’s over double amount of reverse harems, shoujo,Josei,Yaoi coming out every season then harem and ecchi series
Sep 28, 2018 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
ecchiharemgeek said:
AyumiVk said:

@wasshio

Except There’s over double amount of reverse harems, shoujo,Josei,Yaoi coming out every season then harem and ecchi series

Uh no?

Harem and everything else gets the same amount if not more than the former. Reverse Harem only happened to be more transparent recently, it's a coming trend that happens every once in a while.

Ecchi series got the same treatment back then, same goes to recent time. No exceptions to it.

And besides, Yaoi aren't that recurrent nor Josei. There's not even that many that are remotely considered as those two, and if there's any it's rare. The only series that got multiple seasons for Yaoi for example are Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. Other than that, no. Yaoi also isn't something that's been recurring as a whole.

Free isn't one of them btw.

So your point in regards to those demographics particularly is not true in the slightest amount since it has a niche audience when it comes to the anime medium.

Reverse Harems are only recent, and Shoujo has been a recurring demographic since day-fucking-one. So what's your problem then?

If you are complaining about not getting ecchi series or harems as much then there's enough when it comes to the season. 2015-2016 are the prime example of this case in particular with the genres.
Sep 28, 2018 9:35 PM

Sep 2018
ecchiharemgeek said:
@Swagernator said:
I mean, why not ? If mindless ecchi can get one season after another why not this mindless fanservice ?

It's not like people are watching either for actual plot.

Actually it’s rarely happens
More often sexist garbage like this show and sexist shoujo,
reverse harem, Yaoi series get multi seasons

@64BitRatchet said:

I personally don’t think you should be criticising Free! with a name like that.
Sep 28, 2018 11:41 PM

Sep 2018
I used to adore Free! but hasn't it run its course?

I will most likely still watch out of curiosity, maybe it'll be fresh and thought-provoking after all!
Sep 29, 2018 12:58 AM

Apr 2016
TinyTabun said:

Does it ever had one ? I mean wasnt it always about shipping boys ?
Sep 29, 2018 1:18 AM

Sep 2018
Swagernator said:
TinyTabun said:

Aside from the fanservice, I found the first season to be a novel and fresh take on sports anime, the plot, background, character development/reveal, and slice-of-life aspects made it really enjoyable. Over time, it became redundant, though I need to watch the current season before I make a final judgement. But yeah, I do think it originally had viability.
Sep 29, 2018 4:04 AM
Apr 2018
Wasshio said:
ecchiharemgeek said:
@wasshio

Uh no?

Harem and everything else gets the same amount if not more than the former. Reverse Harem only happened to be more transparent recently, it's a coming trend that happens every once in a while.

Ecchi series got the same treatment back then, same goes to recent time. No exceptions to it.

And besides, Yaoi aren't that recurrent nor Josei. There's not even that many that are remotely considered as those two, and if there's any it's rare. The only series that got multiple seasons for Yaoi for example are Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. Other than that, no. Yaoi also isn't something that's been recurring as a whole.

So your point in regards to those demographics particularly is not true in the slightest amount since it has a niche audience when it comes to the anime medium.

Reverse Harems are only recent, and Shoujo has been a recurring demographic since day-fucking-one. So what's your problem then?

If you are complaining about not getting ecchi series or harems as much then there's enough when it comes to the season. 2015-2016 are the prime example of this case in particular with the genres.

2015-2016 was a slow year for harem and ecchi
Not sure what your smoking
Sep 29, 2018 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
ecchiharemgeek said:
Wasshio said:

Uh no?

2015-2016 was a slow year for harem and ecchi
Not sure what your smoking

>Slow year for ecchi and harems

>A total of 3-5 harem/ecchi shows per season around 2015
>One season had around 5 harems in total and one ecchi-based series in Winter

Granted 2016 was definitely slow but you can't tell me that there's not a lot when those years had enough. All I'm saying is that your point about the Yaoi and Josei stuff aren't as big... because they're niche. It's a rare case to get them and even to this day it's only one.

At most the stuff that are available are just undertones, meaning that they're not actually yaoi. And as for Josei it's rare compared to Seinen. So, yeah. Got any pointers to give?

I'm fine with ecchi and harem stuff as long as they don't get me on my nerves, but hey even I can admit that there's an abundance amount of them by comparison. It's ridiculous. It's called a trend so.
Sep 29, 2018 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
TinyTabun said:

Nooo? That's just something the fanbase does, not the show itself.

The show is just about the relationships of the characters as a group and how they strive to move on from the problems they have as a group while growing better as swimmers as well. So it's not really about the shippings, that's a side thing people do like 99% of the time in any community.
Sep 29, 2018 6:40 AM

Apr 2016
Wasshio said:
not the show itself.

Ehhh, i don't know, i mean ... do you really think so ? Its not like the show creators don't know who is watching it and buying it so, well you know.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

4 by MichaelJackson »»
4 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

71 by MichaelJackson »»
9 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
11 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.