Forum Settings
Forums

Should Chinese "Anime" be removed from MAL?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 27, 2018 1:03 AM

Jul 2014
I'm fine with them staying provided Western anime-esque stuff like Avatar and Castlevania gets added too.
Take care of yourself

Sep 27, 2018 1:05 AM
Apr 2017
i dont think so
but a certain wertern thing should be here if chinese anime is
Sep 27, 2018 1:10 AM

Apr 2018
Well, I don't care if they are listed here or not tbh. It's not like the thing that they are listed here means I must watch them.
Sep 27, 2018 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
chinese anime shouldn't be removed because there is one i really like
Sep 27, 2018 1:54 AM

Apr 2016
They are in most cases garbage anyway so yeah, it should be.
Sep 27, 2018 2:15 AM

Sep 2018
I don't think they should be removed, but some clarification as to why certain shows make it in and others don't would be nice.
Sep 27, 2018 2:25 AM

Feb 2013
TinyTabun said:
I don't think they should be removed, but some clarification as to why certain shows make it in and others don't would be nice.
let me introduce you to anime db forum

guidelines: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101 , this should explain why most anime are / are not in database
recent denials: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=140439&show=350

posts of historical importance:
neo yokio denial: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1668815&show=50#msg52578762
rwby denial, and explanation for chinese/korean anime: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=80#msg24064451
Sep 27, 2018 2:30 AM
Nov 2010
I'd rather not have them removed since they're already here and are quite similar considering they are all from the same part of the world. Maybe there should be a way to distinguish between them, but that's not that important other than for those who are interested in the data.
Sep 27, 2018 2:31 AM

Sep 2018
romagia said:
TinyTabun said:

guidelines: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101 , this should explain why most anime are / are not in database

neo yokio denial: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1668815&show=50#msg52578762
rwby denial, and explanation for chinese/korean anime: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=80#msg24064451

This makes sense to me. Does this mean no future Chinese/Korean anime will be added to MAL?
Sep 27, 2018 2:34 AM
May 2009
Japanese Anime = Douga in Kanji is 動画

This 動画 is also known in Chinese as dònghuà
In Korean 動画 is also written as 동화 also known as Donghwa.

Personally for me they all fall under the same category, due to Kanji categorisation.

Sep 27, 2018 2:35 AM

Feb 2013
TinyTabun said:
romagia said:

This makes sense to me. Does this mean no future Chinese/Korean anime will be added to MAL?
no
similar to what pullman said, "As for Korean and Chinese animation, there were already some series in the database at the time of writing the guidelines. Since we decided to keep manhwa and manhua in the manga database, keeping Korean and Chinese animation as well allowed the database guidelines to be matched with each other."
Sep 27, 2018 2:45 AM

Sep 2018
romagia said:
TinyTabun said:

no
similar to what pullman said, "As for Korean and Chinese animation, there were already some series in the database at the time of writing the guidelines. Since we decided to keep manhwa and manhua in the manga database, keeping Korean and Chinese animation as well allowed the database guidelines to be matched with each other."

Ah. In that case I'd change my answer to, if possible, it would be nice to have them removed for consistencies sake. But it's not a big deal either way.
Sep 27, 2018 2:47 AM

Sep 2018
I'm on the "Neo Yokio should be added to MAL" side of the arguement personally. I like Chinese and Korean stuff to be honest, and I think we can have a broader definition of anime on this site without hell breaking lose.

Sep 27, 2018 2:52 AM

May 2017
Otako6789 said:
yes, because anime is only japanese

yup! you right!,but they will not delete them
Sep 27, 2018 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
Let me watch my chinese cartoon in peace ... like literally.
Sep 27, 2018 4:05 AM

Dec 2015
Why, oh, why does MAL not conform to OP's apparently superior tastes? Boohoo.

You can try giving the guidelines a read, maybe that will enlighten you.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sep 27, 2018 7:00 AM

Mar 2016
Platypus7 said:
The fact that so many people argue about where to draw the line between western anime and cartoons means that how we use the word 'anime' at the moment isn't clear. The definition saying it refers to only Japanese animation is outdated, or soon to be, because less and less people are using it to mean that.

A few spergs who want Avatar to 'be anime' because it makes them feel special have no bearing on the meaning of a term that pretty clearly distinguishes itself from a cartoon of any other origin. If the word anime is meaningless then we shouldn't use it all.
Sep 27, 2018 7:05 AM

Feb 2018
TBh I wouldn't even care if they added some shit like family guy
Sep 27, 2018 7:20 AM

Nov 2011
I understand your point, but you should also understand MAL's point of view and try to consider consequences of what if MAL add western animation to database or remove chinese or korea animation from database ..

1) If western animation in this site, MAL will lose it's "image" and "color".. MAL will become My Animation List.. It's not good, we already have imdb and other similar sites in that ...
2) If MAL remove chinese and korean animation, they should remove manhua and manhwa too.. It's also not good, you should try to read some of them, many are really similar to manga and have rather similar fanbases (well, maybe except for webtoon.. but even some manga has similar style to webtoon) ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 27, 2018 7:28 AM

May 2018
All korean and chinese animations/comics/books must go.

Why not create a sister site and transfer their data? Or using the same database but filtering it differently?
alshuSep 27, 2018 7:58 AM
Sep 27, 2018 7:49 AM

Nov 2014
Hot take: China will be the future of anime. While it's rough around the edges right now, shows like Shiyan Pin Jiating really show the potential of Chinese creators to create moving works. Japan's animation industry has been constantly shooting itself in the foot for years, so if talent starts really shining in China, a gradual shift seems inevitable.

That all said, their inclusion on the site at the moment is a little weird considering how adamantly Western shows are excluded. Honestly, I think it'd be pretty cool to have a Country field in each anime's 'Information' field, but I recognize how much work that would be. I'm fine with things how they are; don't see a real reason why we should exclude Chinese and Korean shows. Drawing the line as 'Eastern animated works' is reasonable enough.
Sep 27, 2018 8:19 AM

Sep 2018
I personally don't think it's fair to refuse to upload Western animation on the site, but include Chinese animation. It's a bit odd to me. Asian superiority complex?

FruitPunchChinpo said:
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned repeatedly.
Sep 27, 2018 8:31 AM

May 2018
Timz0r said:
Never encountered "Chinese anime" before, but if you go far in history, China IS kinda Japan and visa versa, hence why weebs mock anime is just being "Chinese cartoons". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you give us examples of these "Chinese cartoons" you speak off? I'm interessed for entertainment purposes.

Chinese anime are anime made in China
Chinese cartoon are anime made in Japan

Jumpdivine said:
I personally don't think it's fair to refuse to upload Western animation on the site, but include Chinese animation. It's a bit odd to me. Asian superiority complex?

I agree. They should accept avatar, rwby and teen titans. they are 100% anime.
Only_BradSep 27, 2018 8:35 AM
Sep 27, 2018 10:55 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I wish there was like a place or a rule for other countries "anime". I'm not against it and I even liked The Kings Avatar but you know, it's a mess.
Sep 27, 2018 11:04 AM
Apr 2018
They seem to be more strict with their Manga rules than with their Anime rules. They on let Korean, Chinese, Indonesian Comics into the database if they were released in the Manga form which is understandable. But when it comes to Anime they should put any Japanese and what ever nationality co productions in the database and only in that situation.
Sep 27, 2018 12:14 PM

Oct 2017
Tennouji said:
It's kinda stupid to imply Chinese "anime so much and I don't know why should they remove. They're still anime and MAL only accepts eastern anime so we don't have only Japanese and Chinese anime but also Korean anime. If not eastern, then they only accept anime entries within those three regions that I mentioned. You should ask MAL why they don't accept western animation instead of it seems you're whining that Chinese(And you might want to include Korean as well) anime should be removed here.

>So for the sake of this thread we will only associate "Anime" with Japan.

No.

Your response is rendered useless by the fact that some of these western series were made by "Eastern studios". I had clarified that Studio Deen & Production I.G co-produced Neo Yokio, so that in a way makes them part Japanese. ">"So for the sake of this thread we will only associate 'Anime' with Japan.'No'" What you are doing is associating a Japanese term with non-Japanese animation. Both China and Korea have their own terms. Also it's not because "MAL only accepts eastern anime" it's because they are too lazy to follow their own rules after they made a mistake, refer to romagia post.
Sep 27, 2018 12:18 PM

Aug 2018
Only_Brad said:
Timz0r said:
Never encountered "Chinese anime" before, but if you go far in history, China IS kinda Japan and visa versa, hence why weebs mock anime is just being "Chinese cartoons". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you give us examples of these "Chinese cartoons" you speak off? I'm interessed for entertainment purposes.

Chinese anime are anime made in China
Chinese cartoon are anime made in Japan

Yes, I know. But I was referencing to Wang Jingwei's Japan-China for example. You know, history during WO II and many other bad relationships between Japan and China in the ancient past.
Timz0rSep 27, 2018 12:21 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 27, 2018 2:00 PM
Jun 2014
Pullman said:
ForestBalrog said:

Although I don't really watch much western animation, I agree with this statement 100%. It makes no sense that they add Chinese and Korean animation and seems contradictory to me if they won't add any western "anime".

except it does, I clearly explained already how this situation came to be and why it is unreasonable to want to change it at this point.

I read your post, but I would rather have a cohesive site. Just because somebody put in the work before they laid out clear guidelines doesn't mean the site shouldn't be made more cohesive. I think they should just have Japanese anime and manga personally. Sure I read manwha, but I don't think it should be on here because it's not the same thing. I get that taking care of a site is a lot of work as I've had my own personal site since 2005, but it just seems lazy to make rules and then be like, "well, we added some Chinese and Korean stuff, so whatever, we'll just make an exception because someone did it before but no Western stuff still". If they took the non Japanese animation out of the site it would be a lot less work in the long run because they wouldn't have to keep adding more Chinese and Korean titles, only Japanese anime. Idk your reason just makes the the people running the site sound lazy to me. They obviously aren't going to do anything about it so it doesn't really matter, but I can still call bs. Honestly I'm still pissed off for the practically 6 months of MAL having features down so your post trying to make people feel sorry for them does nothing but make me more irritated. As a site, having certain types of "anime" and not others makes no sense, regardless of your explanation, and I don't find it unreasonable at all to want the site to be more organized. Just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.
ForestBalrogSep 27, 2018 4:38 PM
Sep 27, 2018 2:03 PM

Mar 2016
Not a bad addition I think. It would also be great if they could add manhua and wuxia novels.
Sep 27, 2018 4:41 PM

Feb 2010
ForestBalrog said:
Pullman said:

except it does, I clearly explained already how this situation came to be and why it is unreasonable to want to change it at this point.

I read your post, but I would rather have a cohesive site. Just because somebody put in the work before they laid out clear guidelines doesn't mean the site shouldn't be made more cohesive. I think they should just have Japanese anime and manga personally. Sure I read manwha, but I don't think it should be on here because it's not the same thing. I get that taking care of a site is a lot of work as I've had my own personal site since 2005, but it just seems lazy to make rules and then be like, "well, we added some Chinese and Korean stuff, so whatever, we'll just make an exception because someone did it before but no Western stuff still". Idk sounds lazy and like bs to me and they obviously aren't going to do anything about it but I can still call bs. Honestly I'm still pissed off for the practically 6 months of MAL having features down so your post trying to make people feel sorry for them does nothing but make me more irritated.

I mean sure, you can want it to be more cohesive, but that doesn't mean the way it currently is doesn't make sense, like you said. It's not like anything that goes against your personal wishes or preferences 'makes no sense'. That's all I'm saying.

And I see literally zero upside of having people undo all the work and remove the korean and chinese anime from the DB. Just so your 'cohesion' OCD gets satisfied? Seriously, what is the upside of removing stuff that is already there? Like, a practical upside, not just something abstract like 'being cohesive'?

I just really don't get what people get out of removing these titles. Some people like me enjoy having them there and the rest barely even knows they exist and can just choose to ignore them. Removing them changes nothing about the functionability of the site for the latter, it only makes it worse for the people who do watch chinese and korean animation.

So to me it just seems like some selfish 'I want everything to be like I say it should be!!' that would change nothing of the usability of the site for the people who demand the removal of chinese/korean shows while taking away some options and features for people like me. All that for the abstract principle of cohesion, which is nice to have in theory, but not worth actively reducing what the site already offers just to acquire it in retrospect.

I don't know how exactly the site was managed in its early days either, but it definitely didn't plan on becoming this big and relevant. I think early on it just was a small private site and then when it became bigger the need for guidelines and rules arose and at that point people had already included some chinese or korean works so they figured why not include them as well in the guidelines, since it also makes some sense culturally and historically. I don't think that's lazy at all, on the contrary they decided to take on more work in those additional titles.

If you would rather have a purist japanese site, that's your right, but that's nothing more than your personal wish and there are many reasons why doing so at this point would be unreasonable and counterproductive. That's all I was saying. I don't like it when people voice their personal preferences by saying the other options 'make no sense' like you did, because it clearly does make sense in its own way and changing to your model has no practical benefit at all at this point so if anything, that doesn't make sense.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 27, 2018 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
No..

My question is what do you think about Frankenstein Family?
It's a chinese manga that got a chinese anime adaptation that got a Japanese dub.. lol
Sep 27, 2018 4:45 PM

Dec 2013
To be honest, I'd prefer if the shows got added more based on style and less based on the country. Japan outsources a lot of animation work anyway and there are a lot of co-productions and just foreign shows that mimic the style. I feel like limitations on the country of origin are becoming more and more irrelevant nowadays.

For example, it's just silly that MAL only lists the manga version of RWBY, but not the original web series that has identical style and is much better known.
Sep 27, 2018 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
NthDegree said:
To be honest, I'd prefer if the shows got added more based on style and less based on the country. Japan outsources a lot of animation work anyway and there are a lot of co-productions and just foreign shows that mimic the style. I feel like limitations on the country of origin are becoming more and more irrelevant nowadays.

I understand and kind of agree to a certain extent.
but i think it brings up stuff like Astro boy and other kodomo that have western influences such as disney.

so if Astro boy and kodomo that mimmicks disney is allowed, shouldn't Disney also be allowed?

I think it should just be restricted to "asian animation"..
if MAL added everything with asian influences, it would be hard to draw a line of what's allowed and what's not.

It would be very biased and unfair, and there would be more problems that would rise than it would solve.

Sep 27, 2018 4:53 PM
Jun 2014
Pullman said:

I mean sure, you can want it to be more cohesive, but that doesn't mean the way it currently is doesn't make sense, like you said. It's not like anything that goes against your personal wishes or preferences 'makes no sense'. That's all I'm saying.

And I see literally zero upside of having people undo all the work and remove the korean and chinese anime from the DB. Just so your 'cohesion' OCD gets satisfied? Seriously, what is the upside of removing stuff that is already there? Like, a practical upside, not just something abstract like 'being cohesive'?

I just really don't get what people get out of removing these titles. Some people like me enjoy having them there and the rest barely even knows they exist and can just choose to ignore them. Removing them changes nothing about the functionability of the site for the latter, it only makes it worse for the people who do watch chinese and korean animation.

So to me it just seems like some selfish 'I want everything to be like I say it should be!!' that would change nothing of the usability of the site for the people who demand the removal of chinese/korean shows while taking away some options and features for people like me. All that for the abstract principle of cohesion, which is nice to have in theory, but not worth actively reducing what the site already offers just to acquire it in retrospect.

I don't know how exactly the site was managed in its early days either, but it definitely didn't plan on becoming this big and relevant. I think early on it just was a small private site and then when it became bigger the need for guidelines and rules arose and at that point people had already included some chinese or korean works so they figured why not include them as well in the guidelines, since it also makes some sense culturally and historically. I don't think that's lazy at all, on the contrary they decided to take on more work in those additional titles.

If you would rather have a purist japanese site, that's your right, but that's nothing more than your personal wish and there are many reasons why doing so at this point would be unreasonable and counterproductive. That's all I was saying. I don't like it when people voice their personal preferences by saying the other options 'make no sense' like you did, because it clearly does make sense in its own way and changing to your model has no practical benefit at all at this point so if anything, that doesn't make sense.

Adding western anime would have a benefit to the site. If they have Chinese and Korean titles then they might as well add western animation that is in an "anime" style or was made with Japanese studios/companies, which was the whole point of this thread. If they can be like "why not?", as you said, then, why not? I personally don't care to have any of those titles like I said but that's not what my point is. My point is about laziness - because they either don't want to add something, or they don't want to take away something. The guidelines they have in place right now are just as abstract as the idea of cohesion, so that point is invalid, and I still stand by my opinion that they don't really make sense.
Sep 27, 2018 4:56 PM

Dec 2017
hazecloud said:

Chinese user said tencent company is bad so I try to avoid it.

Who the hell told you tencent was a bad company.
Sep 27, 2018 5:02 PM

Dec 2013
jarring said:
NthDegree said:

but i think it brings up stuff like Astro boy and other kodomo that have western influences such as disney.

so if Astro boy and kodomo that mimmicks disney is allowed, shouldn't Disney also be allowed?

if MAL added everything with asian influences, it would be hard to draw a line of what's allowed and what's not.

It would be very biased and unfair, and there would be more problems that would rise than it would solve.

Of course the judgement would be subjective. It already is. For example MAL has things like Shelter (music video for a western artist) and several well known western co-productions like Devilman Crybaby and Aggretsuko with Netflix and Space Dandy that got western release before Japan. At this point it's just splitting hairs. Does ethnicity really matter that much?
Sep 27, 2018 5:05 PM

Jul 2017
I think that Chinese anime are primarily geared and marketed towards anime fans so I'd say keep them in the DB.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Sep 27, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2017
Pullman said:
ForestBalrog said:

I read your post, but I would rather have a cohesive site. Just because somebody put in the work before they laid out clear guidelines doesn't mean the site shouldn't be made more cohesive. I think they should just have Japanese anime and manga personally. Sure I read manwha, but I don't think it should be on here because it's not the same thing. I get that taking care of a site is a lot of work as I've had my own personal site since 2005, but it just seems lazy to make rules and then be like, "well, we added some Chinese and Korean stuff, so whatever, we'll just make an exception because someone did it before but no Western stuff still". Idk sounds lazy and like bs to me and they obviously aren't going to do anything about it but I can still call bs. Honestly I'm still pissed off for the practically 6 months of MAL having features down so your post trying to make people feel sorry for them does nothing but make me more irritated.

I actually agree with what ForestBalrog said, romagia linked some interesting threads which happen to backup the notion that mods are just being lazy. Well I don't exactly mean lazy since you brought up how much stuff they have to do, but the Chinese and Korean stuff just happened to be there before the guidelines were put in place. So would it not make sense to go back and fix what needs to be fixed so it matches the guidelines? Kineta the database mod said this
"For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of 'what' is anime:
1. Who created it.
2. Who they created it for.
The exact rule in the Anime DB Guidelines states that the Japanese staff needs to be involved in significant staff roles of the production. In other words, the animation cannot only be outsourced to Japan; Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product."

With that being said the Chinese and Korean stuff don't have the " Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product" part of it.
-SP-Sep 27, 2018 5:09 PM
Sep 27, 2018 5:06 PM
Jun 2014
Pullman said:

It really has nothing to do with my personal wishes, but I'm free to give my opinion just like you. You're not right any more than I am. I'll say what I added in an above post once again;
ForestBalrog said:

As a site, having certain types of "anime" and not others makes no sense, regardless of your explanation, and I don't find it unreasonable at all to want the site to be more organized. Just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.

And what -SP- said is still exactly what I think.
-SP- said:

It just seems like they are nitpicking what they want, I think it should be have one or have none.
Sep 27, 2018 5:13 PM

Mar 2017
For me yes.

Animation not made or produced in Japan should not be called anime.

maybe cartoons or westernworks lol.
Sep 27, 2018 5:15 PM
Jul 2018
NthDegree said:
jarring said:

Of course the judgement would be subjective. It already is. For example MAL has things like Shelter (music video for a western artist) and several well known western co-productions like Devilman Crybaby and Aggretsuko with Netflix and Space Dandy that got western release before Japan. At this point it's just splitting hairs. Does ethnicity really matter that much?

Well.. just because the music is western doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed..

I mean if that was the case, Tekkon Kinkreet wouldn't be allowed.
The soundtrack was produced by a band from the U.K. (my personal favorite band)

What about interstella 555? ofc stuff like this should be allowed.

Even First Squad, which was co-produced with a russian company is allowed.
Of course co-productions should be allowed if they are distributed in Japan.

If they are specifically made to be distributed in say like.. America like Thundercats.. then no it shouldn't be allowed. That's why you don't see it here.

Distribution rights are a big deal.. Devilman Crybaby and others like it aren't as relevant in comparison cuz they still got Japanese dubs and distributed in Japan.

AFAIK Thundercats was never dubbed in Japanese nor distributed.

Getting into the details it does make sense.

Devilman Crybaby and others weren't made with JUST westerners in mind.
If it was, then it wouldn't be here, like Thundercats.

Though I'm not really sure about the legitimacy of this.. TBH i think most, if not all asian/western coproductions should be allowed.

I wouldn't make a fuss if Thundercats was allowed.
Sep 27, 2018 5:35 PM

Dec 2017
deg said:
purist mindset you got there lol, if m in charge of MAL i will let every animation be added to the database considering the literal definition of anime is just animation in the japanese dictionary anyway so stuff like Avatar and Disney animation movies are called anime in japan too, the only downside is the growth of the database because of that needs a lot of moderators too
no, ur idea is trash my kind sir and would like to tell you that
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Sep 27, 2018 5:36 PM

Dec 2017
Mal accepts eastern stuff, but wouldnt mind the removal of chinese garbage. Tenoheika no Banzai!!
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Sep 27, 2018 5:38 PM
Aug 2018
They have Manhua and Manhwa here, so if Anime is the Chinese term for animated series it should be here.
Sep 27, 2018 5:40 PM
Jun 2014
-SP- said:

I actually agree with what ForestBalrog said, romagia linked some interesting threads which happen to backup the notion that mods are just being lazy. Well I don't exactly mean lazy since you brought up how much stuff they have to do, but the Chinese and Korean stuff just happened to be there before the guidelines were put in place. So would it not make sense to go back and fix what needs to be fixed so it matches the guidelines? Kineta the database mod said this
"For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of 'what' is anime:
1. Who created it.
The exact rule in the Anime DB Guidelines states that the Japanese staff needs to be involved in significant staff roles of the production. In other words, the animation cannot only be outsourced to Japan; Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product."

With that being said the Chinese and Korean stuff don't have the " Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product" part of it.

Exactly my point. So if we have those guidelines but the site doesn't follow them, why have guidelines at all?

Anyways, I'm done with this. I don't make forum posts because you get jerks like Pullman who troll forums and want to fight with people. I just saw the thread, thought it was interesting, and decided to put in my two cents. In return, I got told I was selfish for giving my opinion. Well, Pullman is the selfish one because he wants the site to be the way he wants it. I just can't believe reading back through this thread when I see Pullman saying to -SP- that he couldn't read or comprehend. What a completely rude person. Pullman's obviously the one who can't read because he doesn't seem to be comprehending the issue or what anyone is actually saying. His opinion is no more right than mine and it's no less valid either, but he doesn't have any right to sit there and treat other people poorly. No wonder he's no longer a mod, what a loser. Anyways, like I said, this turned into something completely ridiculous. I'm done, bye.
Sep 27, 2018 5:42 PM

Jul 2015
Lunilah said:
Personally i wish there would be more western things added to it like those you mentioned, purely because this website is a western dominated one.

At the same time i understand and support that MAL stays strict with Japanese animation though.

I agree with this. 30 characters limit
Sep 27, 2018 5:43 PM
Aug 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
I think they belong here, just like how manhwa belong here since they attract a similar fanbase, but they shouldn't be called anime. Just like how anime is the Japanese word for animation, donghua should be what MAL calls Chinese animations.

If that is the correct term in Chinese I totally agree with you.
Sep 27, 2018 5:44 PM

Dec 2013
@jarring Oh and by the way, were you aware that western studios also outsource their animation jobs to Japanese animators? And yes, this includes Disney that you previously said shouldn't be on MAL. Well, turns out you're too late.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/5027/Stitch

Because this is anime and shows like Avatar and RWBY are not.
Sep 27, 2018 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
NthDegree said:
@jarring Oh and by the way, were you aware that western studios also outsource their animation jobs to Japanese animators? And yes, this includes Disney that you previously said shouldn't be on MAL. Well, turns out you're too late.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/5027/Stitch

Because this is anime and shows like Avatar and RWBY are not.

well as i said before it's because it is distributed in Japan with Japanese dubs.
it might be a different thing if it was also distributed in America, but i don't think that was.

Roosterteeth, etc are American production companies, and they didn't make those cartoons to be distributed in Japan specifically.
Sep 27, 2018 6:00 PM

Feb 2010
ForestBalrog said:
-SP- said:

1. Who created it.

Exactly my point. So if we have those guidelines but the site doesn't follow them, why have guidelines at all?

Anyways, I'm done with this. I don't make forum posts because you get jerks like Pullman who troll forums and want to fight with people. I just saw the thread, thought it was interesting, and decided to put in my two cents. In return, I got told I was selfish for giving my opinion. Well, Pullman is the selfish one because he wants the site to be the way he wants it. I just can't believe reading back through this thread when I see Pullman saying to -SP- that he couldn't read or comprehend. What a completely rude person. Pullman's obviously the one who can't read because he doesn't seem to be comprehending the issue or what anyone is actually saying. His opinion is no more right than mine and it's no less valid either, but he doesn't have any right to sit there and treat other people poorly. No wonder he's no longer a mod, what a loser. Anyways, like I said, this turned into something completely ridiculous. I'm done, bye.

Instead of random ad-hominems and calling me a troll for no reason (do you even know what a troll is?) you could have just answered my questions of what the practical advantages of removing everything now would be and why it isn't selfish that you want me not to be able to add korean and chinese titles to my list anymore without gaining any additional usability yourself. This isn't about what the ideal situation could be if we could redo the past, but it's about what's the most reasonable way of dealing with the situation we already have right now, and none of your arguments are even slightly convincing in that regard and you seem to dodge the subject on purpose.

So since you don't seem to be able to actually answer those concerns or provide any actual arguments addressing them you try to retreat into distractions like attacking me personally and opportunistic relativism.

There's honestly nothing else to say. I brought my arguments in reply to yours and you still have not addressed them, instead resorting to namecalling. I think we're done here.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
1 minute ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
2 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.