Dear Users,

Thank you for using MyAnimeList.

The final features have been restored:

・My Signature
・Database User Submissions
・About Pages
・Tutorials
・Remaining RSS Feeds

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Click here to read a list of all previous announcements.

Updated September 28th (by MyAnimeListLLC)
API Development Update 1

Updated October 15th (by Xinil)
API Development Update 2

Updated November 10th (by Xinil)
API Development Update 3

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support of MyAnimeList.
TenshoNov 11, 2018 6:01 AM
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 14, 2018 2:39 AM

Oct 2010
Thank you! Too bad about the fansub stuff, I think it's stupid but I can accept it.
Sep 14, 2018 2:51 AM

Oct 2014
What is so bad about fansubs?

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 14, 2018 2:52 AM

Mar 2016
What about the @import?
Sep 14, 2018 2:54 AM
Jun 2017
This should fix my animelist right? It have no thumbnails.
Sep 14, 2018 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
Cool. Now fix the API and start approving pending manga.
Sep 14, 2018 2:58 AM

Apr 2016
Lunilah said:

MAL needs to pretend that fansub groups are not a good thing for anime industry.
Sep 14, 2018 2:59 AM

Sep 2013
Hoping you guys don't forget about fixing @imports as well.

Sep 14, 2018 3:01 AM

Feb 2013
Lunilah said:

Because there's official simulcasts and they're partners of MAL. And because makes no sense to be there anyway. It's not like that will stop people to go to fansubs, it's just to reinforce a position
Sep 14, 2018 3:01 AM
May 2012
Don't really get what was wrong with fansubs section but I'll be fine without it. What's important is that MAL is finally back.
Sep 14, 2018 3:08 AM

Mar 2010
> As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry
I don't think that fansub groups which do quality work on never-to-be-licensed anime could be considered harmful to anime industry in any sense.

But iirc fansub section wasn't that useful anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Sep 14, 2018 3:14 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I don't think imports are a priority and maybe it's better that way before they remove something else, but! Shishio's club offers very good solutions to imports and cover generators and such. So for anyone who has problems still, do check it out!
Sep 14, 2018 3:17 AM

Sep 2012
myanimelistllc said:

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Can we get a roadmap or something similar to that? Also knowing the features would help all the developers out there so they can plan/adapt beforehand.
Sep 14, 2018 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
Glad everything is back to normal. Hope you will work to improve your app
Too bad about the fansub section. Now it will be very hard to find quality subs for anime. 😭

Sep 14, 2018 3:33 AM

Jan 2015
Fansub section was one of the most useful feature on the site. Sad that it's gone
Sep 14, 2018 3:45 AM

Nov 2014
Fansubs section removed? Now that's huge loss. Much bigger than API or clubs imo. Downloading first episode from multiple groups and comparing them myself is huge pain.
Sep 14, 2018 3:54 AM

May 2016
myanimelistllc said:

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

...What? How does that in any way "support" the industry? It just hurts the community. Fansub groups, if anything, need more love right now. They were doing the vast majority of the work before Crunchyroll ever came about, and have (and still do) helped the international anime community discover how many great animes that would have otherwise never been heard of or licensed abroad? You guys can remove the feature sure, it might not have been popular, but why paint it and fansubs as a force for bad..? That's nothing but insulting. I'm willing to bet that Crunchyroll would have never even come about without all the old fansub groups' role in making anime as widely popular as it is today, nor would so many companies be interested in releasing their films and shows abroad. And god for bid a scenario where the majority would need to rely on Crunchyroll's subs... what with their history of politicizing and changing all manner names and important structure.

And out of all the times, why on Earth would you guys think it'd be good idea to do this now? After all the "recent" shit? For me this was definitely one of the most useful features this site had for whenever I wanted to watch old, forever-unlicensed animes; being able to see which groups subbed it, and see people's feedback on those subs (or give feedback myself).
ZaugrSep 14, 2018 4:05 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2018 3:55 AM

Jan 2013
Wow....
these guys removed the fansub section. Wtf man MAL cant take a right decision for once. This is stupid
Sep 14, 2018 4:13 AM

Feb 2014
Rip fansub section. It prove to be a useful feature to me quite a few times for older/less-known shows.
Sep 14, 2018 4:18 AM

Oct 2010
MAL is a site powered by its users.
Removes a feature the users loved - fansub grups.
Sep 14, 2018 4:24 AM

Jan 2009
damn its understandable that you remove the fansub section to please your streaming partners like CrunchyRoll but im gonna miss that
Sep 14, 2018 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
MyAnimeList is finally completed!
Sep 14, 2018 4:34 AM

Sep 2011
Woohoo!
Sep 14, 2018 4:41 AM

Aug 2014
About damn time \o/

Now let's see how long until everything breaks again. Probably once the EU copyright laws demand an upload filter :^)
Sep 14, 2018 4:43 AM
Jan 2016
For those complaining about lack of fansub info, you can always use aniDB which has always had a much more thorough and informative section on fansubs
Sep 14, 2018 4:44 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Meh, kind of a bummer about the removal of fansub stuff. I don't like the reason much tbh, and I don't think having options to upvote certain subbed versions by any given groups had any effect on the industry whatsoever. It feels like it was just removed for image projection and appeasement through removing some miniscule form of advertisement that people could get some use out of. Superficial. Hollow. Pointless. Needless.

Feels like some CR shenanigans to me, but maybe that's just me being paranoid and my hateboner for that reprehensible service surfacing that's defaulting it to that gut feeling.
ManabanSep 14, 2018 4:49 AM

Sep 14, 2018 4:45 AM

Sep 2012
Ardanaz said:
Probably once the EU copyright laws demand an upload filter :^)

Please don't ban us for using memes senpai.
Sep 14, 2018 4:46 AM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
Ardanaz said:
Probably once the EU copyright laws demand an upload filter :^)

You know we have 0 control over that right? :P
Sep 14, 2018 4:47 AM
Jan 2014
bring back the fansub section you sell outs
Sep 14, 2018 4:49 AM
Jan 2014
caio_brb said:
Lunilah said:

Because there's official simulcasts and they're partners of MAL. And because makes no sense to be there anyway. It's not like that will stop people to go to fansubs, it's just to reinforce a position

the fansub sections had years and years of data for old shows that never got any sort of official english release, that informed you on what release would be best for you.
Sep 14, 2018 4:50 AM

Jul 2013
Neat. Now we just need to see the @ import rules in custom list designs and the api fixed ^^
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Sep 14, 2018 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
Ardanaz said:
sasalx said:

Well of course. Just a joke. However, I can imagine a crusade against memes where people find a way to beat the algorithm. And let's be honest. They will...
Sep 14, 2018 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
Ardanaz said:

Well of course. Just a joke. However, I can imagine a crusade against memes where people find a way to beat the algorithm. And let's be honest. They will...

Figured :P
Oh they definitely will. I'm more worried about sites like MAL. I can't imagine DeNA implementing an upload filter. Not to forget every anime is copyrighted. Would probably be easier for them to just ban all european users.
Sep 14, 2018 4:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
ItsXolo said:
caio_brb said:

the fansub sections had years and years of data for old shows that never got any sort of official english release, that informed you on what release would be best for you.

And there's a lot of stuff like that where it's the only way to access it, especially for older stuff and more obscure stuff that's kept in the database. And I'm sorry, but I'm not exclusively a seasonal watcher and I could find some use for that from time to time.

But it's just kind of not important at the same time, honestly. I can still find fansubbed versions of stuff when I need to, and this doesn't impede that whatsoever. I'm just not a fan of the reason, because it seems pretty vapid and shallow to remove it because of some miniscule form of advertisement for non-official releases existing (which is what I take away from the bit about "supporting the industry"), even when those are the only way to access a huge number of works in the DB.

It was harmless, pretty much, and the purging of useful things because of something so minor kind of reminds me of CR's anti-piracy fetish cult they're ostensibly trying to develop. They might not even be/probably aren't even involved though, but just the traces of that dumb crusade being kind of present here makes me a bit unhappy with the decision.

"It was very minor advertisement for fansubs and acknowledges they exist in spite of how people can get use out of it, kill it!!!!"

Sep 14, 2018 5:04 AM

Jan 2013
Taluun said:
For those complaining about lack of fansub info, you can always use aniDB which has always had a much more thorough and informative section on fansubs
Thanks, I aint know that.
Sep 14, 2018 5:09 AM

Nov 2014
Ardanaz said:
sasalx said:

Figured :P
Oh they definitely will. I'm more worried about sites like MAL. I can't imagine DeNA implementing an upload filter. Not to forget every anime is copyrighted. Would probably be easier for them to just ban all european users.

I haven't read whole document, so I might be wrong, but in my understanding as long as MAL servers aren't located in EU, DeNA doesn't need to do anything. Worst case scenario would be MAL getting blocked by EU providers.

I don't have time to look for exact part of article now, but I'm sure this can be used too with slight adjustments:
The proposal makes explicit that this does not include private cloud storage services, non-profit encyclopedias (like Wikipedia), non-profit educational or scientific repositories, nor a variety of other cases.
Sep 14, 2018 5:09 AM

Nov 2013
>MAL catering to the pure seasonal anime watcher garbage and killing off a futureproofing feature used mostly for older or unlocalized shows in the absence of "real" subs just to cozy up to CR a tiny bit closer.
Fot a while I actually believed that ~all~ features were going to be returned, you sure got me haha.
Sep 14, 2018 5:21 AM

Sep 2011
DeNa trash as always.
Sep 14, 2018 5:27 AM

Aug 2014
Terkhev said:
I haven't read whole document, so I might be wrong, but in my understanding as long as MAL servers aren't located in EU, DeNA doesn't need to do anything. Worst case scenario would be MAL getting blocked by EU providers.

I don't have time to look for exact part of article now, but I'm sure this can be used too with slight adjustments:
The proposal makes explicit that this does not include private cloud storage services, non-profit encyclopedias (like Wikipedia), non-profit educational or scientific repositories, nor a variety of other cases.

It sucks how stupid that whole thing is, but yeah, this is getting a bit off topic for now I guess.

Tyrel said:
DeNa trash as always.

Lmao I love you senpai <3
Sep 14, 2018 5:35 AM

Apr 2016
Tyrel said:
DeNa trash as always.

Man, DeNA is not joke ... you mention its trash and they demoted you from moderator posisoon, Jesus thats cold.
Sep 14, 2018 5:36 AM

Sep 2011
Swagernator said:
Tyrel said:
DeNa trash as always.

Man, DeNA is not joke ... you mention its trash and they demoted you from moderator posisoon, Jesus thats cold.
:^). That'd be funny, but no I asked to be demodded cause I'm too busy with school and work (Plus I'm sick of DeNa)
Sep 14, 2018 5:37 AM

Apr 2016
Tyrel said:
Swagernator said:

:^). That'd be funny, but no I asked to be demodded cause I'm too busy with school and work (Plus I'm sick of DeNa)

It's not like you will be missed as a moderator ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 14, 2018 5:37 AM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:
DeNa trash as always.

Well, we got an update about API at le... Oh, wait.

Sep 14, 2018 5:52 AM

Oct 2017
DeNA always does whatever it feels like...
You don't need to force yourself to thank us for our patience, understanding and continued support of this site... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 14, 2018 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
I've never actually used the fansub group section but somehow i still miss it
Sep 14, 2018 6:01 AM

Oct 2017
@myanimelistllc
How's your forum post count up to 278, if you never posted on the forums and the clubs? I happened to check all of the threads in the clubs you've joined, and you haven't posted there even once, the same goes for the forums... Which, you know, doesn't make sense at all...
Sep 14, 2018 6:06 AM

Sep 2011
KatsutoSaki said:
@myanimelistllc
How's your forum post count up to 278, if you never posted on the forums and the clubs? I happened to check all of the threads in the clubs you've joined, and you haven't posted there even once, the same goes for the forums... Which, you know, doesn't make sense at all...
Secret club posting (Aka staff related)
Sep 14, 2018 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
Removing fansubs now is probably not the best timing, considering the whole drama with Crunchyroll and their own "anime" which was supposedly made by a "very diverse staff" and people not liking it quitting their subscription because they get the feeling that the money doesn't seem to support the anime industry and the authors as promised, but rather Crunchyroll's own anime conventions, own "anime" projects and own pockets.

That's why removing the fansubs now might seem to some like validating and agreeing with Crunchyrolls "sinful actions".

I personally don't really care since I never used that fansub feature to begin with and I am not from the US so Crunchyroll has nothing to do with me even if I wanted to.
Sep 14, 2018 7:05 AM

Jul 2017
Hope third party applications get back on track as soon as possible, i miss pocketmal when I am on a cellphone
Sep 14, 2018 7:13 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah!!! now mal is back 👏 but i think you should focus now on your app now that has no manga section and other activities please 🙏
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
9 hours ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
12 hours ago

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.