Forum Settings
Forums

"I think the show is a 5, but the score is 8.5 so I'm giving it a 2"

New
Sep 7, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2013
Important disclaimer:
There isn't any specific show I'm "salty" about, nor do I really care about MAL scores in general. I just think this mindset is childish and I want to call it out.

I hate it when people do this.
"I would give this anime an average score, but since so many people rate it so high I need to drag the rating down."

Let me make this as perfectly frank as I can: The score a show gets is not duty-bound to match your opinion, and it is not your responsibility to "bring balance to the universe" by having all shows scored according to what you think of it.

If you think a highly praised show is "just okay", then you are among the people who think a highly praised show is just okay. That's all. Trying to give an anime the score you think it "deserves" is solipsistic and pretty sad, imo. The world around you will like some shows more than you, and some shows less than you. Just give your honest 2 cents and gtfo
We don't need you managing the mean scores of anime shows on a website.
MickdrewSep 7, 2018 4:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 7, 2018 4:57 PM

Dec 2015
It's weird that you think 7 is an average score.
Sep 7, 2018 4:58 PM

May 2017
nonsense
stop caring so much
for ratings,not healthy

Sep 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
It's weird that you think 7 is an average score.
Would you like me to change it to 5 then?

Everybody else will probably make the same irrelevant point that you have, so I might as well do it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Calm down OP, its not a big deal when someone rates an anime lower than others.

So rated your favourite anime below 7?
Sep 7, 2018 4:59 PM

Sep 2013
Noodzilla said:
nonsense
stop caring so much
for ratings,not healthy

DepravedMagi said:
Calm down OP, its not a big deal when someone rates an anime lower than others.

So rated your favourite anime low?

I'm honestly not pissed about any specific anime score. I'm moreso pissed about immature mindsets. That's what really gets to me

Also:
Mickdrew said:
Important disclaimer:
There isn't any specific show I'm "salty" about, nor do I really care about MAL scores in general. I just think this mindset is childish and I want to call it out.
Sep 7, 2018 5:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't think I've ever seen anybody say it like that tbh, but in general I'd agree about just giving a show a rating that you feel is correct, independent of factors like its mean score.

But I can't emphasize that I have never seen a case of this, in spite of all of the stupid shit people do about scores on this site ._.

Sep 7, 2018 5:01 PM

May 2009
I just rate according to my own personal enjoyment.

Used to rate according to other metrics that took into account other people's opinions (or potential opinions), but realized that that was sorta stupid and vague and only ended up with me having to compromise between my own opinions and those of others. So I stopped caring what others thought.

That said:

Lisbon said:
I don't think I've ever seen anybody say it like that tbh

Noodzilla said:
nonsense
stop caring so much
for ratings,not healthy

Almost thought this was a haiku. So I made it into one.

nonsense. stop caring
so much for ratings, not heal-
thy. psyduck headache
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 7, 2018 5:03 PM

Jan 2016
"I would give this anime an average score, but since so many people rate it so high I need to drag the rating down."

according to MAL's 5 = average not 7, just saying

Sep 2017
Who the hell cares about MAL scores anyway. I haven't been able to take them seriously since Kimi no na wa got a 9.17

Sep 2013
Lisbon said:
just giving a show a rating that you feel is correct, independent of factors like its mean score.

Exactly. 100% this

For the record: I actually have seen it quite a bit. Most don't say it so brazenly, but it's pretty much what they mean
Sep 7, 2018 5:06 PM

Jun 2016
justcaolan said:
Who the hell cares about MAL scores anyway. I haven't been able to take them seriously since Kimi no na wa got a 9.17

Maybe the film is just not to your tastes? There's people who feel the same about Fullmetal Alchemist and from the looks of your profile I'm fairly sure you'd rush to defend that in a heartbeat.

Sep 7, 2018 5:07 PM

Jun 2011
I'd understand rating up a show you like, but rating down a show you don't like is just pathetic and a waste of time lol
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 7, 2018 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
I will never understand why do people care so much about what other weebs do with their lists.

Like, really, chill out. It's just a number.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 7, 2018 5:08 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Mickdrew said:
Lisbon said:
just giving a show a rating that you feel is correct, independent of factors like its mean score.

Exactly. 100% this

For the record: I actually have seen it quite a bit. Most don't say it so brazenly, but it's pretty much what they mean

Well now I'm kind of curious tbh xP What was said if it wasn't as direct as that?

Sep 7, 2018 5:09 PM

Sep 2013
justcaolan said:

This is actually another mentality that really annoys me

"I disagree with rating x, therefore the entire rating system is bad"

Again, no, they just like something you don't. Scores on MAL are not meant to dictate how much you like something. If they were supposed to, then yes, they would be bad for everyone. All they are meant to do is show what the average view of an anime's quality is.
It has nothing to do with you specifically as an individual or what you like
Sep 7, 2018 5:13 PM

Sep 2013
Sweet said:
I will never understand why do people care so much about what other weebs do with their lists.

Again, I'm talking about an immature mentality among some users here that treat ratings as something other than what it actually is: just a number (as you say)

Please read the disclaimer in the op

Lisbon said:
Mickdrew said:

Exactly. 100% this

Well now I'm kind of curious tbh xP What was said if it wasn't as direct as that?

Usually you'll see it in reviews where the person will be saying how medoicre something is, or giving an impression that they just think it's okay. Then they'll note how way too many people think it's better than it is, and the final score will be waayyyy lower than their review seemed to imply. The picture you'd get from their opinions make it seem like they just don't really "get it", but their score makes it look like they hate it

This is just one example
Sep 7, 2018 5:14 PM

Sep 2017
GangstaShiba said:
justcaolan said:

Maybe the film is just not to your tastes? There's people who feel the same about Fullmetal Alchemist and from the looks of your profile I'm fairly sure you'd rush to defend that in a heartbeat.

I guess your right but I just don't understand why people love that movie so much. The only good thing about it are the visuals
Sep 7, 2018 5:15 PM

Jan 2016
I do agree but as I only care about average MAL ratings only because I like comparing my scores to them, I don't really have strong feelings on the matter.
Sep 7, 2018 5:18 PM

Dec 2017
Mickdrew said:

but since so many people rate it so high I need to drag the rating down."

I think it's funny how people think they can singlehandedly drag down a score.

No, your 2 is insignificant in a pool of 100,000+ ratings. It doesn't do anything.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 7, 2018 5:19 PM

Sep 2013
zieek said:
Well let's see, instead of caring for what score a stranger gave an anime. Or a friend or a million other people. Why not give it the score you think it deserves. Why is it important what the majority (sheep) think.

Not sure if this was meant to be a criticism of me, but I actually completely agree and what you say is very much the point I'm making
Sep 7, 2018 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
Mickdrew said:
Sweet said:

Again, I'm talking about an immature mentality among some users here that treat ratings as something other than what it actually is: just a number (as you say)

At the end of the day you are still complaining about how other people use MAL's scoring system, man.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 7, 2018 5:21 PM

Sep 2013
Cutieply said:
I give animes way too high scores a lot of the time (considering what should be the average score) and I couldn't care less. Fight me OP.

Not sure you're in the same camp as the people I'm targetting

You just seem to be stupidly positive lol
Sep 7, 2018 5:22 PM

Dec 2017
Couldn't care any less about the average MAL rating. It is probably messed up cause of the people who boost their favorite animes through multiple account creation.
Sep 7, 2018 5:23 PM

Dec 2017
Reina_Orikasa said:
Mickdrew said:

No, your 2 is insignificant in a pool of 100,000+ ratings. It doesn't do anything.

There are those few idiots who create hundreds of accounts to boost tho...
Sep 7, 2018 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
Mickdrew said:
Important disclaimer:

Let me make this as perfectly frank as I can: The score a show gets is not duty-bound to match your opinion, and it is not your responsibility to "bring balance to the universe" by having all shows scored according to what you think of it.

If you think a highly praised show is "just okay", then you are among the people who think a highly praised show is just okay. That's all. Trying to give an anime the score you think it "deserves" is solipsistic and pretty sad, imo. The world around you will like some shows more than you, and some shows less than you. Just give your honest 2 cents and gtfo

Cool story bro, you almost convinced me of giving fate zero a 1
:v
Sep 7, 2018 5:24 PM

Sep 2013
Sweet said:
Mickdrew said:

At the end of the day you are still complaining about how other people use MAL's scoring system, man.

If seeing complaints like this bother you, then I recommend you avoid threads like.
I think this is a valid critique that I've noticed for a long time that not many people are pointing out
Sep 7, 2018 5:26 PM

Sep 2013
MichaelJackson said:
Mickdrew said:
Important disclaimer:

Wow, you're almost as edgy as Fate/Zero is.
Careful you don't cut yourself on it
Sep 7, 2018 5:27 PM

Aug 2018
Well, at that extreme, yeah is really stupid. What I do sometimes is round up a bit up when I think a show is underrated but AT MOST is 1 point. I don't give less than it deserves because is overrated. I hate biased people that do dumb shit like that. I don't get how someone can be so salty. Also I don't get how some people with less than 100 animes on their list can say "this is one of the greatest show ever". Common sense is pretty rare this days.

Btw not having a +0.5 option is a pain in the ass for me.
Sep 7, 2018 5:29 PM

Aug 2016
Mickdrew said:
MichaelJackson said:

yeah, and theres nothing you can do about that, not even a useless lil thread
Sep 7, 2018 5:30 PM

Aug 2018
Reina_Orikasa said:
Mickdrew said:

Well, you have a solid point here. lol
Sep 7, 2018 5:32 PM

Sep 2013
MichaelJackson said:
Mickdrew said:

Shit... you're right :o
Please don't give shows I like a bad rating. I'll lose so many hours of sleep....
Sep 7, 2018 5:34 PM

Sep 2013
DaCraziGuy said:
Well, at that extreme, yeah is really stupid. What I do sometimes is round up a bit up when I think a show is underrated but AT MOST is 1 point. I don't give less than it deserves because is overrated. I hate biased people that do dumb shit like that. I don't get how someone can be so salty. Also I don't get how some people with less than 100 animes on their list can say "this is one of the greatest show ever". Common sense is pretty rare this days.

I've felt the same way about half marks, but idk if it's that big a deal. Yeah it might be helpful for the sake of accuracy, but we already have a 10 point scale for how much we like something. Having 20 is just splitting hairs.
Sep 7, 2018 5:35 PM

Aug 2016
Mickdrew said:
MichaelJackson said:

Shit... you're right :o
Please don't give shows I like a bad rating. I'll lose so many hours of sleep....

deal
https://phoenix.corvidae.org/uploads/monthly_2016_09/tumblr_oaxrzjoWsg1qgogymo1_540.jpg.73a6951bc13ea90ad4d1cc54657a7f24.jpg
Sep 7, 2018 5:36 PM

Dec 2017
-Funland- said:
Reina_Orikasa said:

There are those few idiots who create hundreds of accounts to boost tho...

Again, it's so insignificant unless they make thousands upon thousands of accounts. A 0.0X score change is nothing.

We also have the report fake accounts thread for a good reason.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 7, 2018 5:48 PM

Sep 2011
Does anyone actually have that kind of mindset? If so, that's just dumb.

Sep 7, 2018 5:49 PM

Apr 2015
People who dislike Gintama in a nutshell
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 7, 2018 5:51 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Tennouji said:
Does anyone actually have that kind of mindset? If so, that's just dumb.

I agree completely, just sounds really petty.
Sep 7, 2018 5:51 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:

I'm not really sure how to find half a point on a 10-point scale meaningful, tbh. I'm actually not sure how to find even whole point differences all that meaningful on 10-point scale. Personally I think a five-point scale would be most effective for expressing opinion -- hate/dislike/meh/like/love.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 7, 2018 6:03 PM

Oct 2014
I personally would suggest you stop caring about how other people rate anime. Mean scores don't matter and if you're trying to recommend someone anime but can't figure out which anime they like the most since their scores are meant to "bring justice to the database" then just give up on that activity since they're not worth your time.
Sep 7, 2018 6:07 PM

Sep 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
I personally would suggest you stop caring about how other people rate anime. Mean scores don't matter and if you're trying to recommend someone anime but can't figure out which anime they like the most since their scores are meant to "bring justice to the database" then just give up on that activity since they're not worth your time.

Doing that would indeed be stupid. Thank you for the concern.
Sep 7, 2018 6:14 PM

Feb 2016
daily reminder that a 7 doesn't mean that the show is "just okay"

i'm actually late, you already edited =(
Sep 7, 2018 6:15 PM

Sep 2013
greymood said:
More like hourly reminder.
That's not even what the op says
Sep 7, 2018 6:17 PM

Dec 2015
Mickdrew said:
greymood said:

Yeah...because you edited the title.
Sep 7, 2018 6:20 PM

Sep 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
Mickdrew said:

Yeah...because you edited the title.

Yeah, I know.

So what's the problem?
Sep 7, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2010
People who do this kind of shit probably hold enough of a grudge towards the show to justify lowering the score, whether they want to justify it with the fanbase and the MAL average or with reasons actually related with content.

The former is dumb yeah but it's not like we can do anything, and if somebody is pissed enough about a series to easily take into account external factors in their rating they would probably end up finding whatever excuse to give a very low score anyway. In the end they just want to hate on the show.
Sep 7, 2018 6:27 PM

Jul 2017
What really bothers me is those people who make a review and their overall score of that show doesn't make any sense. An example could be:
Story - 9
Art & Animation - 8
Sound - 7
Characters - 7
Enjoyment - 9
Overall - 7
The mean is clearly 8. Why give it a 7? I don't understand it.
ShinkafeMagnaSep 7, 2018 6:30 PM
Sep 7, 2018 6:29 PM

Apr 2018
Except there are people that genuinely believe that said show is a 2 instead of a 5?

Yeah that mindset is definitely questionable but I haven't really met anyone that sincerely rates like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the end, I couldn't care less on how someone rates

Sep 7, 2018 6:32 PM

Sep 2013
jal90 said:
People who do this kind of shit probably hold enough of a grudge towards the show to justify lowering the score, whether they want to justify it with the fanbase and the MAL average or with reasons actually related with content.

The former is dumb yeah but it's not like we can do anything, and if somebody is pissed enough about a series to easily take into account external factors in their rating they would probably end up finding whatever excuse to give a very low score anyway. In the end they just want to hate on the show.

True we can't do anything about it, but the goal here was more to show contempt for those who have contempt for the fans who praise a show - because it is really them who are contemptible.
And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Hate.

Mufasa couldn't have said it any better himself.
Sep 7, 2018 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
Why do you care so much about what people want to score an anime on MAL?? It is basic fact that the average on MAL is 7, not 5, when it comes to interpreting scores.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

55 by AnimePedestrian »»
53 seconds ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 27 minutes ago

4 by Horizon248 »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 3 hours ago

10 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Mob Psycho 100 do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 17 minutes ago

3 by Maroonedisback »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 9 hours ago

17 by -Shurit- »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.