Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2018 12:28 PM

Oct 2011
Awesome episode. Almost orgasmed at the post-credits scene

Aug 28, 2018 12:28 PM

Apr 2008
akihikosama said:
Why Ainz go through the trouble of fighting/talking to them if he planned to kill them anyways? Made me think that he would spare one to deliver the message or something. Didn't see any reason why he would need to be personally involved in the testing of Nazarick defense.

He wanted to test his own abiities as a warrior too and to see if he could gain EXP
Aug 28, 2018 12:31 PM

Oct 2008
Darklight0303 said:
akihikosama said:
Why Ainz go through the trouble of fighting/talking to them if he planned to kill them anyways? Made me think that he would spare one to deliver the message or something. Didn't see any reason why he would need to be personally involved in the testing of Nazarick defense.

He wanted to test his own abiities as a warrior too and to see if he could gain EXP

Isn't that accomplished by Momon already?
Aug 28, 2018 12:35 PM

Sep 2017
I'm not sure what this show is going to take us to... So Ainz is fully psychopathic. As other people have pointed out Ainz never cared human lives as much as he should in previous episodes but the way the show handled that aspect of his personality had surely been quite low-key. In the previous episodes and previous seasons the show clearly didn't want us to dig too deep into Ainz's highly questionable morality. But in this episode it has become very hard for any one with a decent sense of morality to identify with Ainz. Is there some Breaking Bad's trick going on? Like, let viewers root for the main character who's on the path of power ascension only to show more and more madness he has committed during his pursue of power, so that the viewers are forced to question their own fascination with power at the end of the show?

I hope it is going to be as deep as that and go all the way through to challenge the viewer's expectation from what looks like a power-fantasy show.
Aug 28, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2018
Best Overlord episode by far.
Aug 28, 2018 12:42 PM

Apr 2008
akihikosama said:
Darklight0303 said:

Isn't that accomplished by Momon already?

Not really since as Momon he mostly fights monsters. This was fighting other classes
Aug 28, 2018 12:43 PM

Apr 2008
CHC said:
I'm not sure what this show is going to take us to... So Ainz is fully psychopathic. As other people have pointed out Ainz never cared human lives as much as he should in previous episodes but the way the show handled that aspect of his personality had surely been quite low-key. In the previous episodes and previous seasons the show clearly didn't want us to dig too deep into Ainz's highly questionable morality. But in this episode it has become very hard for any one with a decent sense of morality to identify with Ainz. Is there some Breaking Bad's trick going on? Like, let viewers root for the main character who's on the path of power ascension only to show more and more madness he has committed during his pursue of power, so that the viewers are forced to question their own fascination with power at the end of the show?

I hope it is going to be as deep as that and go all the way through to challenge the viewer's expectation from what looks like a power-fantasy show.

Fully psychopathic yet you forget Nemu a couple of episodes back. Moral gradstanding is always such a bloody joke when you lot do it
Aug 28, 2018 12:54 PM

Sep 2017
Darklight0303 said:
CHC said:

Fully psychopathic yet you forget Nemu a couple of episodes back. Moral gradstanding is always such a bloody joke when you lot do it

Being a psychopath doesn't mean being cruel to everyone. You just need to have no empathy for those you can exploit for your own benefit. Don't forget he was supposed to be a regular salaryman living in contemporary Japan. I don't see how what he did to those four poor people can be morally justified.
Aug 28, 2018 12:58 PM

Apr 2008
CHC said:
Darklight0303 said:

Being a psychopath doesn't mean being cruel to everyone. You just need to have no empathy for those you can exploit for your own benefit. Don't forget he was supposed to be a regular salaryman living in contemporary Japan. I don't see how what he did to those four poor people can be morally justified.

Not contemporary Japan. A dystopian post world war 3 Japan.

And yes he is justified because they are thieves who then tried to lie to him using the memory of his friends. He asked them why they were going to go to the tomb and they all answered they did it for the MONEY. They are mercenaries who take dirty jobs. hell this job itself was dirty. THEY SAID AS MUCH DURING THE BRIEFING. People like to pretend like the workers were pure innocent little angels when they are nothing but a bunch of lawless mercenaries who do whatever gets them the most profit.

With their skills they could have been adventurer elites. Yet they chose the Worker life for bigger profits and no regulations.
Aug 28, 2018 1:05 PM

Jan 2008
Inukanura said:
Ainz-sama ain’t play no games here, he go full chaotic evil here. it seems pretty bad and all but i dunno who to root anymore because there’s no one worthy to root for except Ainz-sama and the Nazarick gang.

He's not chaotic evil. He might have been lawful evil to some degree at the beginning, but he's mostly neutral evil. He's all about himself and the NPCs. If you gain him benefit, he might spare you. That's pretty much it. He's a tyrant.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Aug 28, 2018 1:16 PM

Apr 2018
Curiosity killed that cat... or in this case, Curiosity killed Forsight
Minori Chihara <3
Aug 28, 2018 1:19 PM

Apr 2016
FUKING SAAVAAAGEE!!!!
Aug 28, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2009
kevin_video said:
Inukanura said:
Ainz-sama ain’t play no games here, he go full chaotic evil here. it seems pretty bad and all but i dunno who to root anymore because there’s no one worthy to root for except Ainz-sama and the Nazarick gang.

He's not chaotic evil. He might have been lawful evil to some degree at the beginning, but he's mostly neutral evil. He's all about himself and the NPCs. If you gain him benefit, he might spare you. That's pretty much it. He's a tyrant.
Honestly ainz comes off as true neutral to me, doing everything for a stated goal, without letting morality come into it, he doesn't go out of his way to be cruel, but will use cruelty if someone crosses him or nazarick, this becomes a bit more apparent in later parts of the LN imo.

As for the episode, tbh i skipped to the post credits scene, i know what happens in this episode already but that was also my most disliked part of the series.
Aug 28, 2018 1:37 PM
Jan 2018
So sad that Arche died and her siblings will be sold as slaves.
Aug 28, 2018 1:43 PM

Oct 2010
Prior to this point, the show as adapted seems to have failed badly to get across to anime-only viewers that Ainz is truly a villain. The top upvoted review of Overlord II says this:

Momonga being a villain changes almost nothing. Everyone still loves him anyway, and he acts like the generic ‘nice guy’ harem protagonist. He’s constantly speaking in his nice guy voice in his head to remind us, he’s not actually a real villain, he’s doing the best he can to be nice. It’s lovely how nice of a guy he is really–wait, stop right there... If the villain protagonist isn’t actually a villain, then this show is literally just the same as anything else… Like the meak voice hiding behind the intimidating demonic skeleton exterior, Overlord is masquerading as something far better and more original than it actually is. The philosophy of: “How can I self-insert if my main character isn’t a good guy?” breaks any potential this show had to become something original.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35073/Overlord_II
Aug 28, 2018 1:57 PM

Dec 2016
That was the best episode of anime I've seen in a while. I feel bad for the Workers, especially Arche and her group, but fuck it was enjoyable to watch them be destroyed. I don't think I've ever seen another show that trashes the "good guys" as much as this one does, lol.

But speaking of good and evil, I feel like Ainz was much more harsh in this episode than he was in all the previous ones. It felt like a major shift in character... First he lures the Workers into his base, then punishes them for taking his bait, and then uses his own baiting as a justification for going to war with the Empire. I guess you could say that Ainz was also evil back when he invaded Lizard Land or whatever, but that could be explained by Ainz just getting too into his RPG character, especially since the entities he was fighting were standard RPG "monsters," not humans like they were this time. He also brought the lizards back from the dead too, but in this case he sent some of the Workers to fates far worse than death.

Either way, I liked it. The schadenfreude in this show is amazing.

What's the difference?
Aug 28, 2018 1:57 PM

Aug 2017
Can't wait for next week. Ains gonna destroy that emperor :)
Aug 28, 2018 2:04 PM

Sep 2017
Darklight0303 said:
CHC said:

Not contemporary Japan. A dystopian post world war 3 Japan.

And yes he is justified because they are thieves who then tried to lie to him using the memory of his friends. He asked them why they were going to go to the tomb and they all answered they did it for the MONEY. They are mercenaries who take dirty jobs. hell this job itself was dirty. THEY SAID AS MUCH DURING THE BRIEFING. People like to pretend like the workers were pure innocent little angels when they are nothing but a bunch of lawless mercenaries who do whatever gets them the most profit.

With their skills they could have been adventurer elites. Yet they chose the Worker life for bigger profits and no regulations.

>dystopian post world war 3 Japan
Is that a LN spoiler?

Those people pose no threat to Ainz at all, since he is so much more powerful. He could have imprisoned them. He has all the power to do thing in a much more humanistic way but he decided to get cruel on them just because they pissed him off. It is not like he had no choice. That simply indicates Ainz does not have any modern moral sensibility he's supposed to have if he was a member of a modern society. Does the legal system in your country sentence every thief to death?

It is one thing to say that Ainz's action makes sense as he has lost his humanity along with his human body, or that he now see human being as a different specie than his own... but it is quite another thing to say Ainz' action is morally justifiable in *our* term. If I ever have someone act like Ainz and think like Ainz around me in real life I will keep myself as far away as possible from him.
Aug 28, 2018 2:06 PM

Feb 2008
joe_g7 said:
I genuinely felt bad for those guys, Ainz is a cruel man...

Holy fuck, that after credits scene though. Ainz is going all out!

Not at all. He gave them several chances to escape, not to mention when they opened the gold chest. But they went further in, sealing their fates. Still it is hard to see them get so easily killed especially since they aren't necessarily "bad guys."
Aug 28, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2017
SNDT said:
CHC said:

Dude, are you retarded or what? He is NOT a human anymore. He said it himself in the first season. He doesn't feel anything when he kills people. It's not just his appearance that changed to undead but his mentality too.

>He doesn't feel anything when he kills people
What's that if it is not the definition of a psychopath?
I'm not saying it does not make sense for him to be a psychopath. I'm just saying he is and the show is beginning to stress this aspect of his personality.
Calm dowm.
Aug 28, 2018 2:13 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode. Nice to see a more angry Ains for once.
Aug 28, 2018 2:14 PM
Jan 2014
I guess Momo has finally fully lost the last bit of humanity left in him, he just massacred hundreds of people without the slightest bit of doubt.
Aug 28, 2018 2:23 PM

Apr 2008
bapo224 said:
I guess Momo has finally fully lost the last bit of humanity left in him, he just massacred hundreds of people without the slightest bit of doubt.

Thieves and mercenaries. Nothing of value
Aug 28, 2018 2:24 PM

Sep 2014
Shalltear's reaction to Ainz taking off his robe was priceless.
They really had to show the sisters...;-; Goddammit Demiurge!
nerfxAug 28, 2018 2:28 PM
Aug 28, 2018 2:27 PM

Sep 2017
Honestly I'm pretty surprised by some of the folks here... I mean, I have done a lot of massacre in GTA but in real life, I would not take human lives that lightly. I understand the thrill of power fantasy and have no problem with it as long as it is just fantasy. It's one thing to get guilty pleasure from the show but quite another thing to think Ainz is an example you can follow in real life. But some folks here seems to endorse Ainz's action whole-heartedly and think what he did morally justifiable even in real life's terms. This makes me really wonder if I have unknowingly stepped into the infamous incel's territory of the anime community...um...
Aug 28, 2018 2:33 PM
Mar 2018
CHC said:
SNDT said:

Dude, are you retarded or what? He is NOT a human anymore. He said it himself in the first season. He doesn't feel anything when he kills people. It's not just his appearance that changed to undead but his mentality too.

I'm not saying it does not make sense for him to be a psychopath. I'm just saying he is and the show is beginning to stress this aspect of his personality.
Calm dowm.

Alright, one more time. He is NOT a human. He is a monster. Terms like "sociopath", "psychopath" can be applied only to people who live in society. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with monsters.
Aug 28, 2018 2:38 PM

Sep 2013
It was good, ainz forcing himself to accept demiurge's plan but he hated it.
He didn't have to act like a brat but that's how he is, this operation is just how nations and police do their entrapment too, you bait and blame the others then use it as a reason to invade.
Aug 28, 2018 2:41 PM
Mar 2018
Lol, I don't understand some of you people, you don't know what about Overlord is? I would be soooo dissapointed if he didn't kill them. This is soo good. Shame about Arche's end, LN would be a bit better - but yeah, anime is going "the a bit better way" I guess.
Aug 28, 2018 2:45 PM

Nov 2013
SNDT said:
CHC said:

Calm dowm.

Alright, one more time. He is NOT a human. He is a monster. Terms like "sociopath", "psychopath" can be applied only to people who live in society. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with monsters.

Except this "monster" does live in society. Even if you try to argue that Nazarick isn't a society, he still regularly makes trips to the outside and interacts with humans.

Also, terms like "sociopath" refer to the mental state of an individual, not his morality. I don't see much reason to not use them for non-humans if they are just as intelligent as humans.
Aug 28, 2018 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
ainz was pretty savage in this episode
Aug 28, 2018 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
Lets not forget that Momonga, his guild and the NPCs have been defending Nazerick against raids from human adventurers long before they got transported to the new world. That is why I understood why all of the residents of Nazerick have such hatred towards humans because from their view Nazerick is nothing more than a dungeon for them to raid and enrich themselves. They hate humans above every other race because of that fact.
Janethan23Aug 28, 2018 3:16 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 28, 2018 3:28 PM

Apr 2008
JGChaves said:
SNDT said:

Except this "monster" does live in society. Even if you try to argue that Nazarick isn't a society, he still regularly makes trips to the outside and interacts with humans.

Also, terms like "sociopath" refer to the mental state of an individual, not his morality. I don't see much reason to not use them for non-humans if they are just as intelligent as humans.

He didn't say Sociopath. CHC called him PSYCHOPATH. Your attempt to white knight this non issue is far off the mark
Aug 28, 2018 3:30 PM
Mar 2018
JGChaves said:
SNDT said:

Mental state of a human, not a monster. I don't see any reason to apply them to undead monsters.
Aug 28, 2018 3:36 PM

Nov 2013
Darklight0303 said:
JGChaves said:

He didn't say Sociopath. CHC called him PSYCHOPATH. Your attempt to white knight this non issue is far off the mark

All psychopaths are, by definition, sociopaths. I simply didn't see the need to explain the difference in my comment.

Also, I have no idea what part of what I wrote counts as "white knighting". All I did was lay down my opinion of Ainz's mental state.
Aug 28, 2018 3:37 PM

Apr 2008
JGChaves said:
Darklight0303 said:

All psychopaths are, by definition, sociopaths. I simply didn't see the need to explain the difference in my comment.

Also, I have no idea what part of what I wrote counts as "white knighting". All I did was lay down my opinion of Ainz's mental state.

A mental state that is forcefully suppressed whenever he experiences intense emotions. You cannot apply human standards to him. Intense joy. Intense rage. All of it is immediately suppressed by his racial trait.
Aug 28, 2018 3:42 PM

Apr 2018
This episode really made it out super clear how Tsuare was extremely lucky as she's by far the only human actually spared by The Great Tomb of Nazarick.

I really hoped they at least made Arche's return to the country and report what she saw as she has that eyes that only another person has and all. I mean, the sisters...
^ But seeing by the other side: Nazarick did need some humans as food to feed all the NPCs that are there, Momonga wouldn't like to see his precious NPCs die from hunger!

Aug 28, 2018 3:52 PM
Mar 2018
WOW!!! The true power of the Overlord!!! Remeber the name Ainz Ooal Gown
Aug 28, 2018 4:02 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Ains totally wrecked those workers, kinda felt bad for that team especially the blonde haired girl whose sisters were waiting for her but then again it's their fault for invading.

Post credit scene was easily the best part of the episode. Ains means business. XD
Aug 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Sep 2017
I liked the part where they all made it our alive and lived happily ever after.
Aug 28, 2018 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
Loved the episode except for that but that showed the siblings wondering where the sister was. Like why have the need to show that. Kinda want Ains to take them in like he did the maid
Aug 28, 2018 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
S0ARIN said:

So the part that only exists in your imagination
Aug 28, 2018 4:11 PM
Oct 2015
H4nss0n said:
I'm genuinely confused, is there someone in this anime that i'm supposed to root for?
At first i thought it was Ainz but the dude's clearly a Psychopath with no regard for
humanity or anyone, all the humans are just built up to eventually be killed so i don't even bother getting invested in them. You can totally have an anime from the villains
perspective, this just ain't it chief!

I liked this series but hated this episode. Only a psychopath would think this was great.
Aug 28, 2018 4:14 PM

Apr 2008
Karmafan56 said:
H4nss0n said:
I'm genuinely confused, is there someone in this anime that i'm supposed to root for?
At first i thought it was Ainz but the dude's clearly a Psychopath with no regard for
humanity or anyone, all the humans are just built up to eventually be killed so i don't even bother getting invested in them. You can totally have an anime from the villains

I liked this series but hated this episode. Only a psychopath would think this was great.

LOL if this was enough to trigger you, just drop the show now.
Aug 28, 2018 4:17 PM

Sep 2017
Darklight0303 said:
S0ARIN said:

I will be there when you collect your award.
Aug 28, 2018 4:19 PM

Apr 2008
S0ARIN said:
Darklight0303 said:

I will be there when you collect your award.

I'll never understand people who hope overlord will turn out like every other run of the mill fantasy isekai story.
Aug 28, 2018 4:42 PM

Sep 2017
SNDT said:
CHC said:

Calm dowm.

He was a human being. He still has the memory of his human past. He treasures his human memory of his human friendship with his human friends. It was never indicated in the show that Ainz has completely abandoned his human identity and has now entirely identified himself with his new role. Instead we've been constantly reminded that he's just putting on a persona. Even now he is still showing a lot relatable human characteristics like having imposter syndrome and showing care towards specific people. He is way too humanoid to not apply human categories on him. Also, he DOES live in a society: he grew up in one and he's living right now in a society called Nazarick. He also interacts socially with other human beings as Momon. He relies on them for information, trading, food and shelter when he acts as Momon. It is not like he is just a wild animal having no intellect, no communicative capacity, no cooperative behaviours and no conceptual capacity. He clearly has concepts of morality and he is capable to act morally if he choose to, unlike animal. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with him? How are we going to understand why Ainz felt insulted when that guy lied about his old friend? Do monsters feel insulted when they are lie to? Do monsters care about honesty?

Well, philosophy aside, I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. "Psychopathic" is just one adjective amongst others for us to make sense of humanoid characters in fiction. Just like we would use terms like "sad", "remorseful", "sentimental", "timid", "resentful", "vicious" to other humanoid characters in anime. We wouldn't understand those humanoids, let alone relate to them, if we do not consider them to be essentially humanlike.
Aug 28, 2018 4:43 PM

Jun 2008
RIP Arche.

I thought at least she would survive.
Aug 28, 2018 4:44 PM

Sep 2009
Necromia said:
Kaiser_Senpai said:
I feel bad for those sisters.. One-chan died and now they are alone..
I like Ainz and when he kills those scumbags and shit like that but killing that group felt a bit too evil, I mean he is a human after all
Now I want him to kill the prince, I don't care about him.

Anime and LN leaves out some parts that the author later confirmed on his page.

Don't click this if you already feel bad enough

i just finished watching the episode and i havent read the VN but after they showed her little sisters after her inevitable death i already knew they were going to be sold into slavery or even die tragically(i guess ive seen too much tragic anime) , especially when the previous episode showed how freaking dumb their parents. i guess they wouldve lived if ains listened to their story but either way he believed they were just scums that needed money so they were killed off.
Aug 28, 2018 4:46 PM

Apr 2008
CHC said:
SNDT said:

He was a human being. He still has the memory of his human past. He treasures his human memory of his human friendship with his human friends. It was never indicated in the show that Ainz has completely abandoned his human identity and has now entirely identified himself with his new role. Instead we've been constantly reminded that he's just putting on a persona. Even now he is still showing a lot relatable human characteristics like having imposter syndrome and showing care towards specific people. He is way too humanoid to not apply human categories on him. Also, he DOES live in a society: he grew up in one and he's living right now in a society called Nazarick. He also interacts socially with other human beings as Momon. He relies on them for information, trading, food and shelter when he acts as Momon. It is not like he is just a wild animal having no intellect, no communicative capacity, no cooperative behaviours and no conceptual capacity. He clearly has concepts of morality and he is capable to act morally if he choose to, unlike animal. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with him? How are we going to understand why Ainz felt insulted when that guy lied about his old friend? Do monsters feel insulted when they are lie to? Do monsters care about honesty?

Well, philosophy aside, I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. "Psychopathic" is just one adjective amongst others for us to make sense of humanoid characters in fiction. Just like we would use terms like "sad", "remorseful", "sentimental", "timid", "resentful", "vicious" to other humanoid characters in anime. We wouldn't understand those humanoids, let alone relate to them, if we do not consider them to be essentially humanlike.

In the eyes of humans Lizardmen are monsters. And they go through everything you described. SO now by your twisted logic you're going to say the Lizardmen are clearly human? Your desperation to enforce human morality on Ainz is a cosmic joke
Aug 28, 2018 4:50 PM
Aug 2018
Darklight0303 said:
H4nss0n said:

No regard for anyone? Ainz does care about those useful to him and those belonging to Nazarick >_>

Hes not human or at least, he is not anymore.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 2 Discussion

ichii_1 - Aug 8, 2018

42 by VickRune »»
Mar 3, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2018

267 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

220 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 9:16 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

177 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2018

166 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.