Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai' Receives TV Anime Adaptation

New
Aug 26, 2018 6:20 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
This year's 39th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump announced a TV anime adaptation of Taishi Tsutsui's romantic comedy manga Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (We Never Learn) on Monday. Aniplex also launched an official website for the anime series simultaneously, revealing the first key visual (pictured).

Synopsis
His late father always said that a useless man should strive to be useful, so to that end, third-year high school student Nariyuki Yuiga dedicated himself to becoming a high-achieving student in his school despite his history of poor grades. In order to give his destitute family a better life, his ultimate goal is to obtain the special VIP nomination, a prestigious scholarship covering all future university tuition fees. Although Nariyuki could feasibly be a shoe-in for the nomination, he is constantly overshadowed by classmates Rizu Ogata and Fumino Furuhashi in mathematics and literature, respectively.

To his delight, Nariyuki receives the nomination, but there's a catch: he has to tutor his two star classmates, who are each hopelessly mediocre at the other's subject of expertise! To make matters worse, the subjects they are horrible at are the same subjects they want to pursue for their future. As the time to submit university applications draws nearer, Nariyuki must find an effective tutoring method for the girls before it's too late. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Staff
Director: Yoshiaki Iwasaki (Love Hina)
Series Composition: Gou Zappa (Blend S)
Character Design: Masakatsu Sasaki (Saki)
Studio: Silver, Arvo Animation

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai began serialization last February, and has seven volumes in print as of July 4. Shueisha will publish the eighth compiled volume on September 4. The series has cumulatively sold 1 million copies of its compiled volumes.

VIZ Media published the first three chapters of the manga in English simultaneously with the Japanese release as a part its Jump Start initiative, and has been serializing the series in their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine since last April. The first volume is planned for a December 4 release.

Official site: http://boku-ben.com/
Official Twitter: @bokuben_anime

Source: Moca News

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai on MAL
arsonalSep 26, 2018 3:26 PM

Aug 26, 2018 6:32 PM

Sep 2014
Sensei better win or else Riot!!!
Aug 26, 2018 6:36 PM

Feb 2013
That character design is such a downgrade compared to the manga but at least Fumino, Yuiga and Rizu are similar. Uruka is really different being bigger, with the hair a bit short and her boobs being much bigger than they are in the manga. It's a shame that she's so different and I hope that the character designer correct this aspect until then.

I'm not that hyped for the adaptation so far because of the complete unknown studios, the character design and overall staff but I'm going to watch because I really like the manga and I want to see those characters animated.
Aug 26, 2018 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
The staff and the studio is such a disappointment. I wish the author didn't rush for an anime and waited for at least a decent team.
Aug 26, 2018 6:45 PM

Feb 2013
Raycee said:
The staff and the studio is such a disappointment. I wish the author didn't rush for an anime and waited for at least a decent team.

It's not the author who decides when an anime gets green-lit but the publisher and other companies involved in the production of the anime be it with the pub funding or licensing it to other companies.
Aug 26, 2018 6:48 PM

Mar 2015
i need to wait for PV to see them moved to actually judge...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 26, 2018 7:48 PM

Sep 2013
Uruka and Fumino are lacking some detail or shading, yuiga has a small head too.
I hope they polish the designs more atleast.
Aug 26, 2018 8:07 PM

Apr 2016
Raycee said:

I've heard that Arvo Animation is a branch of Silver Link.

But don't quote me on that.
2D > 3D
Aug 26, 2018 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Well the staff is underwhelming but if anything the designs look quite faithful to some fair extent. Just that the shading is quite... not amazing but could be better.

Raycee said:

The author doesn't decide the series or anything, majority of the time it's the publishers or the production committee deciding whether they should make something an adaptation.

In this case it would most likely lean to Shounen Jump (the publisher) than the committee.

ItzToxic said:
Raycee said:

Wasn't that part of a reddit thread from what I recall?
Aug 26, 2018 8:33 PM

Oct 2015

URUKA >>> sensei >>> senpai >>> the remaining girls
Aug 26, 2018 9:32 PM

Feb 2013
Wasshio said:
Well the staff is underwhelming but if anything the designs look quite faithful to some fair extent. Just that the shading is quite... not amazing but could be better.

Raycee said:

The author doesn't decide the series or anything, majority of the time it's the publishers or the production committee deciding whether they should make something an adaptation.

In this case it would most likely lean to Shounen Jump (the publisher) than the committee.

ItzToxic said:

In that case, the publisher is Shueisha. Shonen Jump is just the magazine and a editorial from the publisher.

Btw, great avatar of best girl :P
Aug 26, 2018 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
caio_ken said:
Wasshio said:

In that case, the publisher is Shueisha. Shonen Jump is just the magazine and a editorial from the publisher.

Btw, great avatar of best girl :P

Oh yeah I remember Shueisha being a thing Lmao. I almost forgot about that xD

also thank you xP
Aug 27, 2018 12:08 AM
Sep 2015
Lol, I thought I already saw an announcement that this manga got an anime adaptation last June. (when MAL was down.)
I started reading the manga and catch up because of that! Or maybe I'm in the future that time?
Well anyway, I wish I would like the voice cast. Please someone I know! So that I can change the voices in my head while reading it.
Aug 27, 2018 12:09 AM

Mar 2012
MAL really took too long to report this news.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 27, 2018 12:11 AM

Apr 2013
Could be great, could be trash. Gonna wait with this one.
Aug 27, 2018 1:15 AM

Nov 2007
Draxeros said:
Lol, I thought I already saw an announcement that this manga got an anime adaptation last June. (when MAL was down.)
NeoAnkara said:
MAL really took too long to report this news.
We only report news only when it was officially announced. If you guys saw it before that, then it's a leak.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 27, 2018 3:20 AM

Mar 2013
Owh, another harem crap. What's new?
Aug 27, 2018 3:24 AM
Dec 2013
YASSSS! It finally got an anime. I find the manga really enjoyable. Was hoping this would go to a well-known studio instead of an unknown one.
wildhoodAug 27, 2018 3:27 AM
Aug 27, 2018 6:46 AM

Jul 2012
Still find it interesting that the manga is quite popular and got adaptation. Not saying it's bad, it's pretty decent and i kinda like it, but it's just the most basic as it can get. Reminds me of the Kishuku gakkou no Juliet, same situation, i guess people really like this stuff.
Aug 27, 2018 7:10 AM

Nov 2016
I just read a few chapters. Looking a bit forward to the adaptation.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 27, 2018 3:40 PM
Jan 2014
The first good thing WSJ has done in like 4+ years
Aug 27, 2018 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah i kinda expected this. I havent been keeping up with the manga though
Aug 27, 2018 4:22 PM
Sep 2017
Well this is actually good news, I have been reading the manga, I had a feeling it was going to get a anime adaptation someday. But I am worried that somehow it is gonna get screwed up.
Aug 27, 2018 4:24 PM
Sep 2017
caio_ken said:
Raycee said:

It's not the author who decides when an anime gets green-lit but the publisher and other companies involved in the production of the anime be it with the pub funding or licensing it to other companies.

Really? I mean should have a say that should a manga gets a anime adaptation. It feels like going behind the mangaka's back.
Aug 27, 2018 4:28 PM
Sep 2017
caio_ken said:
That character design is such a downgrade compared to the manga but at least Fumino, Yuiga and Rizu are similar. Uruka is really different being bigger, with the hair a bit short and her boobs being much bigger than they are in the manga. It's a shame that she's so different and I hope that the character designer correct this aspect until then.

I'm not that hyped for the adaptation so far because of the complete unknown studios, the character design and overall staff but I'm going to watch because I really like the manga and I want to see those characters animated.

I kind of agree I was hoping it would have a unique Nisekoi animation style to it, but almost feels like The World God Only Knows animation.
Aug 28, 2018 5:08 AM

Dec 2015
Well, no idea what studio that is...I'm gonna hope for the best, but expect the worst.

TD_Max17 said:
Really? I mean should have a say that should a manga gets an anime adaptation. It feels like going behind the mangaka's back.
It's not that he has no say about the anime adaptation, it's just that he can't decide things such as the studio, staff, and etc. Those things are out of his hands. Also, I think very few creators would say no to an adaptation that could potentially draw new readers. The best they can do is say 'yes, make the anime' and hope the studio delivers.

TD_Max17 said:
I kind of agree I was hoping it would have a unique Nisekoi animation style to it, but almost feels like The World God Only Knows animation.
Nisekoi was more unique aesthetically and visually than in animation. If you check the director's (Akiyuki Shinbou) other works, you'll see what I'm talking about. Especially the Monogatari series, Arakawa Under the Bridge, and 3-gatsu no Lion.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 28, 2018 8:03 AM
Sep 2017
Draxeros said:
TD_Max17 said:
Nisekoi? That thing with weird backgrounds and visuals? Please NO.

Okay, I only brought it up is because if you think about it the series or the manga anyway looks just like Nisekoi.
Aug 28, 2018 8:07 AM
Sep 2017
joe_g7 said:
Well, no idea what studio that is...I'm gonna hope for the best, but expect the worst.

TD_Max17 said:
Really? I mean should have a say that should a manga gets an anime adaptation. It feels like going behind the mangaka's back.
It's not that he has no say about the anime adaptation, it's just that he can't decide things such as the studio, staff, and etc. Those things are out of his hands. Also, I think very few creators would say no to an adaptation that could potentially draw new readers. The best they can do is say 'yes, make the anime' and hope the studio delivers.

TD_Max17 said:
Nisekoi was more unique aesthetically and visually than in animation. If you check the director's (Akiyuki Shinbou) other works, you'll see what I'm talking about. Especially the Monogatari series, Arakawa Under the Bridge, and 3-gatsu no Lion.

Oh I see. Man I need to watch those series.
But wait Akiyuki Shinbou directed Nisekoi? Although the director for this anime from Love Hina, you expect anything good?
Aug 28, 2018 8:11 AM

Dec 2015
TD_Max17 said:
But wait Akiyuki Shinbou directed Nisekoi? Although the director for this anime from Love Hina, you expect anything good?
Yes, Shinbou did Nisekoi. And nope, as I said: I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst. That way I'll at least be pleasantly surprised if the anime proves to be good.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 28, 2018 8:26 AM
Sep 2017
joe_g7 said:
TD_Max17 said:
Yes, Shinbou did Nisekoi. And nope, as I said: I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst. That way I'll at least be pleasantly surprised if the anime proves to be good.

To that I say "fair enough".
Aug 28, 2018 7:46 PM

May 2015
I can see this getting the same treatment as Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san. A 12 episodes series with OK production values; nothing really outstanding, but serviceable.

Anyhow, I can’t say I’m a fan of the manga, but I don’t’ dislike it either. It is an entertaining romcom and nothing more as far as I’m concerned.

On a different note... I remembered some people annoyingly saying that (if announced) the one handling the adaptation was going to be Shaft because of the whole Nisekoi thing and the fact that Taishi Tsutsui did its spin-off Magical Pâtissière Kosaki-chan!!. Early assumptions do nothing but create false expectations. Never assume anything...

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Aug 29, 2018 4:49 AM

Aug 2015
Happy to see one of my recent favorite harem manga series receiving an anime adaptation still,the chance of it getting successful is quite low
Aug 30, 2018 6:37 AM

Jan 2016
I see the manga is pretty popular, ptw.
Aug 31, 2018 5:32 PM

Aug 2014
Seems like something that will end up a failure.

The Design were meh compared to the manga, the staff and working studio also pretty lul.

0/10 , zero expecatation
Aug 31, 2018 10:00 PM

Mar 2017
Harem Romance? I gotta get this on my list right away then.

"๐“•๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ,
๐“ฎ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐“ฏ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฝ๐“ธ
๐“—๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“ต
๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ท๐“ธ๐“ฝ ๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ."
๐“๐“ท๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ | ๐“œ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ช ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ
Sep 25, 2018 10:52 AM
Jul 2014
i hope that they keep the character design quality from the manga
Aug 10, 2019 1:29 PM
Aug 2019
remember when they announced I cheered, my favorite harem

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
57 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.