Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2018 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, no one is safe in this show. Some characters really need to watch their backs if they want to avoid being attacked.

It's a tough world to be in and even Ash realizes it too.
Aug 23, 2018 11:05 AM

Feb 2017
It's getting even more interesting on each episode. Great show. I'm super hooked up.
Aug 23, 2018 11:09 AM
Aug 2018
I really admire how quickly Ash thinks and the fact that no matter what, he has undying trust in Shorter despite all the tragedy. I think the episode was really well delivered.
Aug 23, 2018 11:13 AM

Oct 2012
Jesus, everyone is fucked (once again). How will they run away from Papa Dino now?
Really loved how Shorter was quick to find a solution to stay with Eiji. God fucking dammit. Death is really better than become one of Golzino's toys...
Aug 23, 2018 11:20 AM

Oct 2015
Aaah I can never get enough of this show. The execution of it is just amazing and this episode really made me understand why I've always appreciated the friendship between Shorter and Eiji, it's just a really wonderful thing to see. But god DAMN am I pissed at Yut Lung - Shorter is too wonderful as a character to be used like that.

And that undying trust that Ash has for Shorter just goes to show how much Shorter really means to him.
Aug 23, 2018 11:45 AM

Feb 2017
Well, that was intense.
But they skipped the part where Jessica was protecting Michael. And they didn't tell us what those men did to her... I don't want to see BF characters suffer, of course I don't. But it's unfair to go for "yeah, nothing happen, they just scared them and that's all". It's not okay, staff. Very not okay.
And there was no "uncle Ash" part... It's not really important but I really liked it in manga.
Shorter was like "I've only had Eiji for a month and a half but if anything happened to him, I would kill everyone in this room, him and then myself". He's still a good friend.
I don't know if "He's Chinese, they're Chinese so he had to" will seem reliable in 21st century but it was an impasse for him. Seriously, try to imagine you have a friend, your friend's friend and a sister who basically raised you. Wouldn't you want to protect her at all cost? Even if it means betraying your friend and some guy you knew for a few weeks? At least he wanted to protect Eiji. He's a good friend.
God, I enjoyed Max and Ibe hitting Dawson so much! You hurt their kids in any way? Best Dads will punish you!
Now I feel really bad for Yut-Lung. I mean, I felt bad for him anyway but seeing his reason for being such an evil brat again makes me think "God, he's just a child. They killed his mom. They abuse him. They trained him to be a killer" and I just want him to live a better life... even though I would happily throw something heavy at him. Seriously, I love hate this kid.
Also... This episode didn't feel rushed in any way but I didn't expect them to tell so much.

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot. But this is basically where all bad things started... And dear God, it's going to get EVEN WORSE. Especially - I assume - next week...
Aug 23, 2018 12:20 PM

Apr 2016
Damn this was intense. They never give up.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Aug 23, 2018 12:23 PM

Nov 2016
annelora said:
And they didn't tell us what those men did to her... I don't want to see BF characters suffer, of course I don't. But it's unfair to go for "yeah, nothing happen, they just scared them and that's all". It's not okay, staff. Very not okay.

I came away with the pretty strong impression that Jessica was sexually assaulted by those men. With the way he was stroking her hair down the phone, how Jessica looked so roughed up, and near the end of the ep when the men were taunting Max.
Aug 23, 2018 12:41 PM

Apr 2018
Episode 8 aka Everybody Punches Everybody Even More Than Usually

Honestly tho, loved how Shorter's betrayal was resolved. You know, with a sense of poise and rationality. I just gotta appreciate that it didn't end in the old and tired misunderstanding trope where the entire issue could be resolved if people just stopped to think for a second. Ask knows Shorter, both the situation he's and more importantly, him as a person. Unyielding trust and loyalty might seem a bit naive in his situation, but I feel like we've got enough drama on our hands as it is and also hell, but he was spot on with his assessment.

I did feel like the reveal of Yut-Lung's past was a bit heavy handed and the inner monologue wasn't entirely necessary for the audience to pick up on his situation, what with how his brothers treat him and him slipping back into his incredibly fake timid persona when confronted about his intentions. But I guess we just don't have the time to spend on subtlety. Oh well.

I hear the next episode is gonna be Hell, can't wait.
Aug 23, 2018 12:50 PM

Apr 2018
Yorkshire_Megan said:
annelora said:
And they didn't tell us what those men did to her... I don't want to see BF characters suffer, of course I don't. But it's unfair to go for "yeah, nothing happen, they just scared them and that's all". It's not okay, staff. Very not okay.

I came away with the pretty strong impression that Jessica was sexually assaulted by those men. With the way he was stroking her hair down the phone, how Jessica looked so roughed up, and near the end of the ep when the men were taunting Max.

Mhm, agreed. Not sure if that's actually what happened in the manga, but also the way the aftermath was handled, especially how the shock blanket made it look like she might be naked underneath - that was actually what clued me in on what might've happened. The fact that this wasn't actually the case didn't diminish the uneasy feeling in the least and it served well to put the idea into my head.
Aug 23, 2018 1:05 PM

Jun 2014
The situation keeps getting worse and worse for Ash and his friends. Shorter, in particular, is really in a bind right now, but I like seeing his commitment to keeping Eiji safe. He'd rather kill Eiji and himself than deal with whatever kind of crap Dino would put them through.

There were a lot of revelations regarding Banana Fish in this episode. This show has done a good job so far in keeping me intrigued and eager to see what happens next.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 23, 2018 1:21 PM

Mar 2018
Shorter's loyalty really came through this episode. From Ash never once thinking twice about not trusting him to Shorter not willing to leave Eiji alone. Which was a good thing considering seeing Eiji paralyzed was so uncomfortable.

Yut-Lung is an interesting character, starting to understand the character a bit more.
Aug 23, 2018 1:23 PM

Feb 2016
Wow, so that's what Banana Fish does... that's scary. And now Dino has everyone dancing on his hand. All according to Keikaku? (Dawson really deserved it)

Again, the episode felt slightly rushed.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 23, 2018 1:35 PM
Apr 2017
Pretty intense episode, although I think it was a little bit rushed, especially second half.
Aug 23, 2018 3:21 PM

Dec 2017
okay, that drug is pretty fucked up. berserk brainwashing, hm. i still can't think of any way a puny gang like Ash's can do anything against the underworld and government involved. that's almost like impossible to do anything, but we'll see
Aug 23, 2018 3:30 PM

Mar 2009
elany said:
Yorkshire_Megan said:

Mhm, agreed. Not sure if that's actually what happened in the manga, but also the way the aftermath was handled, especially how the shock blanket made it look like she might be naked underneath - that was actually what clued me in on what might've happened. The fact that this wasn't actually the case didn't diminish the uneasy feeling in the least and it served well to put the idea into my head.

I haven't actually seen the episode yet. But came here to get an idea of how much they covered in this episode.
It sounds like they were mostly faithful. I might think differently when I see it- so I might say something later.
windeen-windyAug 24, 2018 6:02 AM
Aug 23, 2018 3:32 PM

Jul 2016
This anime got some really heavy stuff, it gets quite real, even if it has some unrealistic moments.

Aug 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Sep 2017
I've got some serious respect for Shorter after this ep. Even after all this crap he'd take his own life to protect someone he has only met maybe 3 months ago or something like that.
Aug 23, 2018 4:50 PM

Dec 2016
They are all in such fucked up situations, I will be amazed if all five of the main cast live to see the end
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 23, 2018 5:08 PM

Jan 2017
I went from enjoying the show to dropping it this episode.
the last 2-3 episodes have been just a gigantic and boring filler, with the MCs discovering things that the audience already knew from the start and focusing too much in unecessary side characters that dont add shit to the plot.

too slow for an action series, didnt get me hooked and this slow-mo episode made me drop it.
Aug 23, 2018 5:23 PM

Sep 2011
It happened so many bad things this time, I don't even feel like talking about them right now, bad day, and hard episode. But I still wanted to comment that Yut-Lung's potential surprised me. I thought he was happy being one of the Lees, and doing that kind of work, but he's just paving his way to revenge land.
Aug 23, 2018 5:24 PM

Feb 2017
Nuba said:
the last 2-3 episodes have been just a gigantic and boring filler, with the MCs discovering things that the audience already knew from the start and focusing too much in unecessary side characters that dont add shit to the plot.

too slow for an action series, didnt get me hooked and this slow-mo episode made me drop it.

Well, Banana Fish is not for everyone, but I disagree with you in every possible way.
In episode 6 we got to know Ash's past which kinda explains why he's the way he is so it's important, not filler-ish. We got to know Ash's father and Jennifer who aren't that important but they weren't the main focus. Episode 7 introduced Max's family and Yut-Lung
I don't think BF was focusing much on anyone else beside them in recent episodes. On top of that, it was finally explained what is Banana Fish. And, well, don't expect main characters to know everything just because mafia guys were talking about it with each other. And this episode Yut-Lung finally showed his true colors, Eiji was kidnapped and is about to become Golzine's toy, Shorter has inner conflict.
You said it's too slow. We're 8 episodes in and three not mob characters were already killed, Ash was accused of murder and then skipped his bail, he tried to assasinate mafia boss, they travelled all the way to Cape Cod to learn more about Dawson and then to Los Angeles, bad things happened to Max's family, Yut-Lung blackmailed Shorter into betraying his friends and then kidnapped Eiji... I'm impressed that you think it's slow. Some people think it is too fast.
As I said, your opinion is your opinion but it is built on things which aren't true, so... You know.
Anyway, you can dislike Banana Fish all you want. Just... just don't get mad at me for this answer, okay? I just had to clear some things up.
anneloraAug 24, 2018 5:00 AM
Aug 23, 2018 5:58 PM

Jan 2018
Dang this show gets better each episode and it's not even halfway done yet. Definitely one of my favorites of the season.
Aug 23, 2018 6:02 PM

Nov 2016
Banana Fish is powerful,no wonder that even the goverment is interested in it.

Good info dump episode while still keeping the fast pace. I'm interested to see how Shorter and Eiji will get out of their desperate situation and also what Lee is planning to do now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 23, 2018 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
While it had more powerful moments like Jessica getting raped, and Shorter turning heel...i feel like the bloodbath has to be coming.

Yeah the last three or so episodes have been a little less actiony, so I am hoping shit hit the fan soon.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 24, 2018 2:11 AM

Apr 2017
I totally underestimated this show. After first episode, I thought it was only gonna be another mediocre forgettable show, but this is actually good!

Aug 24, 2018 3:02 AM

Apr 2016
Oh jeez Ash has such a nice body...WHEW...

Er, the episode was alright I guess.
Aug 24, 2018 3:51 AM
Apr 2017
Nuba said:

Nuba said:

Totaly disagree, but respect your opinion
Aug 24, 2018 5:44 AM
Mar 2014
This was a great episode imo
Aug 24, 2018 6:24 AM

Mar 2009
annelora said:
Nuba said:

Well, Banana Fish is not for everyone, but I disagree with you in every possible way.
In episode 6 we got to know Ash's past which kinda explains why he's the way he is so it's important, not filler-ish. We got to know Ash's father and Jennifer who aren't that important but they weren't the main focus. Episode 7 introduced Max's family and Yut-Lung
I don't think BF was focusing much on anyone else beside them in recent episodes. On top of that, it was finally explained what is Banana Fish. And, well, don't expect main characters to know everything just because mafia guys were talking about it with each other. And this episode Yut-Lung finally showed his true colors, Eiji was kidnapped and is about to become Golzine's toy, Shorter has inner conflict.
You said it's too slow. We're 8 episodes in and three not mob characters were already killed, Ash was accused of murder and then skipped his bail, he tried to assasinate mafia boss, they travelled all the way to Cape Cod to learn more about Dawson and then to Los Angeles, bad things happened to Max's family, Yut-Lung blackmailed Shorter into betraying his friends and then kidnapped Eiji... I'm impressed that you think it's slow. Some people think it is too fast.
As I said, your opinion is your opinion but it is built on things which aren't true, so... You know.
Anyway, you can dislike Banana Fish all you want. Just... just don't get mad at me for this answer, okay? I just had to clear some things up.

You are correct. These episodes are not filler. They were in the manga. An action show (it is also aimed at a Shoujo demographic. There is also the genre of: DRAMA here, you know. And in my opinion: it should also have "Psychological" on the genre list, as well. But that's my opinion) needs some parts where characters (and the viewers) get time to breath between all of the action.
A bad show is non-stop action with little or no breaks between it.

These episodes were for that, as well as information gathering. Just because viewers were able to figure out (likely not everyone) some of it doesn't make the characters automatically mind readers who know everything all of a sudden.
If they weren't shown gathering the info, then people would be complaining about them suddenly finding out all of this overwhelming amount of info.

I'm both dreading and anticipating the next episode. The $#!t will really hit the fan in either ep 9 or 10. People will find those situations either a make or break. Because of all of the things that happen.
But dropping a series because its not CONSTANTLY full of non-stop, mindless action, and just before the real/worse crap goes down?..... I do respect that users ooinion as well. However, I also think that it's silly to drop it because of that, when its building up to some seriously big stuff.
The next episode or 2, $#!t is seriously going to get heavy.
Everything that's happened in these last few episodes has repercussions throughout the rest of the series and sets up for more stuff that goes down. None of it was filler. Not a bit.
windeen-windyAug 24, 2018 6:44 AM
Aug 24, 2018 6:38 AM

Mar 2009
SoraSenpai said:
While it had more powerful moments like Jessica getting raped, and Shorter turning heel...i feel like the bloodbath has to be coming.

Yeah the last three or so episodes have been a little less actiony, so I am hoping shit hit the fan soon.

Don't worry: It will. Big time.
There might be more people dropping it because of some of the things that are going to go down soon.
Depending on what characters they currently like/love and what is about to happen (if the anime remains so faithful to the manga, that is).
Aug 24, 2018 7:32 AM

Mar 2010
I think it's time to read the manga to understand the details. I really do hope the anime can deliver this all in 24 episodes. I wonder how many chapters was this episode..?

About this episode though. Do i understand correctly that Dino wants to test the drug out on Eiji? Dino did say he had someone for the test.. so i wonder if he meant Eiji. Sounds like a terrible idea, why it has to be Eiji out of all people.
Aug 24, 2018 8:05 AM

Aug 2018
Lylaaz said:
I think it's time to read the manga to understand the details. I really do hope the anime can deliver this all in 24 episodes. I wonder how many chapters was this episode..?

This episode adapted 110 pages. About 2/3 of an entire volume (we're currently in volume 5). They adapted exactly the amount I thought they would last week so they are on track to finish it in 24 episodes according to my predictions. They didn't cut too much out this time around, though they did take out an entire scene with the police force in NY (Charlie, Nadia, and Jenkins). Not sure if they'll just forego that whole plot line since it's not really important or they'll cut/move things here and there.

It might be a good idea to read the manga up to the point of the anime to get a better picture. I think the anime hit all the right points though, some things are just left ambiguous because it'll be touched upon later.
Aug 24, 2018 8:23 AM

May 2017
windeen-windy said:
elany said:

I haven't actually seen the episode yet. But came here to get an idea of how much they covered in this episode.
It sounds like they were mostly faithful. I might think differently when I see it- so I might say something later.

I agree with annelora, Show, don't tell done wrong, they went with the easier option, also it's surprising how none of y'all mentioned how Jessica in the manga went from stripped to her bra's (phone call scene) to completely topless (slap scene) while in the anime lmao what's the point of the freaking towel she's wearing T-shirt since the phone call scene smfh considering how dark this show is with some gore and sexual stuff especially the child porn stuff, they can't even show a woman in her effing bra's? WTF the worst and the laziest way to use Show, don't tell
LairucremAug 24, 2018 8:30 AM
Aug 24, 2018 8:31 AM

Mar 2010
Lunallae said:
Lylaaz said:

This episode adapted 110 pages. About 2/3 of an entire volume (we're currently in volume 5). They adapted exactly the amount I thought they would last week so they are on track to finish it in 24 episodes according to my predictions. They didn't cut too much out this time around, though they did take out an entire scene with the police force in NY (Charlie, Nadia, and Jenkins). Not sure if they'll just forego that whole plot line since it's not really important or they'll cut/move things here and there.

It might be a good idea to read the manga up to the point of the anime to get a better picture. I think the anime hit all the right points though, some things are just left ambiguous because it'll be touched upon later.

I was hoping for your reply :D thank you. The whole wife/child part was rushed in my opinion and also the scientist popping out in that house so suddenly and somehow Dino instantly knowing he showed up felt so weird in this episode. the NY scene might be also something interesting to read, if they really skipped it.
Aug 24, 2018 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
I lot of horrible things happened this episode, but one of the worst was seeing Ash realize that the drug caused never-ending nightmares... so every second that he tried so hard to keep his brother alive just tortured him further. Seeing him realize he tortured his own brother was so hard.

Also Shorter makes me damn cry the poor boy is doing his damn best.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 24, 2018 11:25 AM

Aug 2018
Lylaaz said:
Lunallae said:

I was hoping for your reply :D thank you. The whole wife/child part was rushed in my opinion and also the scientist popping out in that house so suddenly and somehow Dino instantly knowing he showed up felt so weird in this episode. the NY scene might be also something interesting to read, if they really skipped it.

Glad to help! Yeah, they skipped some dialogue from Jessica and Michael to make the scene briefer. Instead of having it said outright from Jessica herself, the anime just heavily implied she was sexually assaulted. Hmm, Alexis showing up all of a sudden and Dino right afterwards was exactly as is in the manga (though Alexis was hiding behind a bed I believe). For me, the scene with Shorter on the plane with Eiji and the ending bit felt a little rushed. The other scenes line up with how I pictured them to play out.

The scene with the police force can be interesting but I found it mostly unnecessary. Ash is already behind in learning about this whole situation and the police is several steps further behind him, which makes a lot of NYPD scenes repeat information we already know. The only problem with cutting the police material in this episode is that Charlie's character might suffer a bit. It is unfortunate because he does have a small character arc, albeit not the most interesting one.
Aug 24, 2018 9:07 PM

Feb 2015
Well, shorter simply don't had option, he must protect Eiji now. Come on, they are discovering what banana fish really is and its applications.

Ash is in trouble again, and everyone is going back to New York.
Aug 25, 2018 4:49 AM

Mar 2018
That was heavy and may I say I love Shorter. Yes, I know what will happen to him and it is already breaking my heart because he is such a great character. This will hurt. A lot.
Aug 25, 2018 8:01 AM

Apr 2018
windeen-windy said:

There might be more people dropping it because of some of the things that are going to go down soon.
Depending on what characters they currently like/love and what is about to happen (if the anime remains so faithful to the manga, that is).

Ngl you're scaring the crap out of me with just about everything you say lmao. Still on the fence about reading the manga - on one hand I want the full experience, but on the other I'd really like to enjoy the anime for what it is, and I have a habit of dropping shows after I read the source material.
What's your take, read the manga yea or nay?
Aug 25, 2018 8:22 AM

Mar 2009
elany said:
windeen-windy said:

Ngl you're scaring the crap out of me with just about everything you say lmao. Still on the fence about reading the manga - on one hand I want the full experience, but on the other I'd really like to enjoy the anime for what it is, and I have a habit of dropping shows after I read the source material.

I read it all within a week of watching the first episode. Its hard to say since you are the type to drop things after you read the manga. I found the manga really good. The major difference is that the manga takes place in the early-mid 1980's.
They have seriously modernized it for the anime which is not (in my opinion) the best option for some of the senerios in the story. I really liked the manga a LOT, and still like the anime so far.
If it were me, I'd read the manga (the manga isn't as rushed in some places and its easier (in my opinion) to understand the characters bonds and so on, there).
I say that as someone who would rather watch an anime than read manga.

But I wouldn't want you to drop it just because you read the manga.
I'm not sure how they will approach things from here on. Just because of this: while part of me will find what's about to happen- painful to see animated. Another part of me is worried that they will gloss over some of what happens.... And it doesn't need to be glossed over.
There's also some instances and situations which were not as clear about what happened in the manga. That part of me wants clarified in the anime.
After the next episode I could likely give you a more straightforward answer about reading the manga, because I'll (likely) know how far they intend to take the anime.
So far my only real issues are: they modernized the anime and made Ash's character seem a bit less intelligent than he was in the manga (he hacked that PC on his own with some slight help from Eiji and no software. And how smart he is, is a really big issue later with the story).
Aug 25, 2018 10:25 AM

Aug 2016
Soooo good!
I'm on edge in each episode...Shorter promising to Eiji to "set him free" before Golzine can do something with him gave me the chills, because you can see how serious he is about it (First when he snatched Eiji and threated him with a knife I though "yeah, who's going to buy this bulls'it that you would kill him" and then I went to "oh."
Aug 26, 2018 3:43 AM

Oct 2008
wew! good thing nothing happen to Max's wife and son!
always bad things happen to them...i wonder how they'll all gonna retaliate to Dino...
5/5.

Aug 26, 2018 6:55 AM

Jun 2013
According to the people who have finished reading the manga, Jessica was raped in that scene. I was assuming that was the case because that one guy who was taunting Max said that Jessica was delicious and while Michael was recalling what happened, he kind of hinted towards it. :( I hope those rapists assholes get murdered in the most brutal way for raping Jessica, traumatizing her and Michael and for touching Ash.

I'm just glad that Jessica and Michael were alive. I was scared that they would murder them.

This is one of the most intense episodes in the series and yes, I know next week's episode is going to be fucked up because according to the spoilerfolk of the internet, we people who haven't caught up in the manga and are following the Anime for now are about to get a surprise. I won't continue reading the manga until after the first cour.

I'm guessing Yut Lung was raped by that one creepy brother of his. I'm kind of glad he wants to get revenge on his own siblings.

Props to Shorter, he was willing to kill Eiji before anyone laid a hand on him and even planned on killing himself. I know that is sick but honestly, I would rather choose death than be used by Golzine.
臭い-
Aug 26, 2018 3:42 PM
Aug 2016
Does anyone know how old Shorter is? He seems older than Ash but I can't find any info about it.
Aug 26, 2018 6:33 PM
Sep 2017
Liking the show so far and this episode is still raising the stakes of the story so cool. My issue I see int he future is that this is a 24 episode show. My theory of the direction of the show goes that either the plot is going to be split into two distinct story lines or that Dino is gonna pull some BS to lengthen the show. I feel that the show should neatly wrap up in four episodes but IDK what direction the show will take after the twelve episode mark so I am skeptical of where the show is going after this.
Aug 27, 2018 4:07 AM

Jul 2016
Nuba said:

Oh well...

I was really hoping you would like it and not drop it.

Oh wait...

No I wasn't.
Aug 27, 2018 5:39 AM
Puddi Queen

Oct 2009
annelora said:
Well, that was intense.
But they skipped the part where Jessica was protecting Michael. And they didn't tell us what those men did to her... I don't want to see BF characters suffer, of course I don't. But it's unfair to go for "yeah, nothing happen, they just scared them and that's all". It's not okay, staff. Very not okay.
And there was no "uncle Ash" part... It's not really important but I really liked it in manga.
Shorter was like "I've only had Eiji for a month and a half but if anything happened to him, I would kill everyone in this room, him and then myself". He's still a good friend.
I don't know if "He's Chinese, they're Chinese so he had to" will seem reliable in 21st century but it was an impasse for him. Seriously, try to imagine you have a friend, your friend's friend and a sister who basically raised you. Wouldn't you want to protect her at all cost? Even if it means betraying your friend and some guy you knew for a few weeks? At least he wanted to protect Eiji. He's a good friend.
God, I enjoyed Max and Ibe hitting Dawson so much! You hurt their kids in any way? Best Dads will punish you!
Now I feel really bad for Yut-Lung. I mean, I felt bad for him anyway but seeing his reason for being such an evil brat again makes me think "God, he's just a child. They killed his mom. They abuse him. They trained him to be a killer" and I just want him to live a better life... even though I would happily throw something heavy at him. Seriously, I love hate this kid.
Also... This episode didn't feel rushed in any way but I didn't expect them to tell so much.

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot. But this is basically where all bad things started... And dear God, it's going to get EVEN WORSE. Especially - I assume - next week...

As a person who hasn't read the manga, this was very interesting to read and to analyze what differences there are. I understand you find the scene about Jessica and what the men to do her lacking, but I for one instantly understood by the man's words on the phone to Max was had occured. Especially because we see the man repeat himself in Max' face to spite him. This series deals with a lot of harassment in many different forms. I think the diverse attention per 'assault' doesn't mean one scene was less difficult for that person, but it keeps me as a viewer on my toes, remembering that, holy shit, all those people from Dino's men to Lung's men are scumbags and not even your family is safe.

That being said, Ash has proven throughout the episodes he is a very intelligent man and intuitive as well. The fact Ash wouldn't even doubt Shorter after hearing he has taken Eiji and can pinpoint the cultural pressure Shorter must be feeling, speaks of Ash's understanding of the world they live in despite his age. Bah, these boys are still so young, what horrible things they have witnessed and been through already, ugh!

My intention of quoting you was to give you a perspective of an anime viewer btw. I am thankful for you sharing information and your own perspective which makes for interesting discussion!
Aug 27, 2018 7:27 AM
Apr 2016
Sage17 said:
Does anyone know how old Shorter is? He seems older than Ash but I can't find any info about it.

I'm not a manga reader, but apparently there is a side story prequel on Shorter and Ash's first meeting, which was in juvenile prison. It was stated Ash was 15? when they first met, and let's say the max age for juvenile prison is 17, so Shorter is probably (in the current story) 19, same as Eiji.

I didn't read into a lot of detail cause I was trying to avoid spoilers. Any manga readers here to correct me?
Aug 27, 2018 7:38 AM
Apr 2016
elany said:
windeen-windy said:

I've been reading the manga and stopping where the anime currently is. I'd say the manga has more details and comedic moments, but I think there are some scenes that were made MUCH better by the anime with Utsumi's great direction.

Take the episode 2 Ash and Eiji hospital scene for example. The part where Ash looks out of the window at the birds flying had a lot of symbolic meaning and the camera panning out with the emotional music really made it sad, but it was NOT LIKE THAT in the manga at all. The manga doesn't show a window or birds or any of the backgrounds, and Ash's "I envy you" is reduced to a small panel at the bottom corner of the page, which lessens the emotional impact as compared to the anime. I'd say that the manga's art, formatting and transitions are its weakest points, which were mostly solved by the anime.

I suggest you could do the same that I'm doing which is read the manga alongside the anime, but you really gotta have good self control to do that haha.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

345 by anjalpaudel »»
Apr 20, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

66 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.