Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2018 10:01 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sadaharu’s putting himself through a lot for this. For a mascot who kinda didn’t have any real role during the endgame arcs, it’s surprising and satisfying that he’s given such a high importance in the final arc. Damn Hitsugi hurt the dog real bad. The guy has like no importance in the story at all, yet randomly comes to kill the dog :/

That injured Sadaharu really gets me emotionally. But luckily, Gintoki makes it just in time. I love how Gintoki always manages to defeat Hitsugi in the matter of seconds. But Utsuro and the rest of the Yorozuya are here. Seems like Sadaharu’s preventing himself by being consumed by the Altana and is trying to take it down from the inside. Well, as long as he gets that done before the Hinokagutsuchi crashes on Earth.

Sadaharu’s the only character that took Utsuro by surprise I bet, lol. Yorozuya’s gonna give their best here right now, especially since they’re the only ones against Utsuro right now. Meanwhile Utsuro’s just saying his typical demeaning words, lol. And it seems like Hitsugi appeared again, only to be taken down in mere seconds… again.

Damn, got a stab on Utsuro with the Altana sword. Both eyes too! But that doesn’t mean shit to Utsuro, since he still wrecked the Shinsengumi so easily. Poor Yamazaki too! Even when Kondo got a hit, Utsuro was quick to stab himself to stab Kondo... twice! Geez, Hijikata and Sougo went ham and got rekt in seconds. Everyone is completely annihilated. Shinpachi's the one one up. In the manga, he only got one blow. In the anime, BNP gave him mad love!!! Everyone's turn to beat the shit outta Utsuro now!!

7 chapters adapted. A couple of dialogue aside and unnecessary minor space scenes aside, it was faithful and covered everything worth covering. Artwork was mostly top-tier. Most animation cuts in a single Gintama episode ever. Never seen action get this spread out for a 24 episode. Even Gintoki vs Takasugi was half flashbacks per episode. Previews for next episode look promising too. And this is why last week looked like trash. BNP gave their all today, and probably will continue that next week. The way Utsuro moves is just amazing.

I took like 200 random-ass screenshots because the episode hyped the shit out of me, so I'll just send the link to an unorganized upload: https://imgur.com/a/E4A9pXq
GoldenDevilGamerAug 19, 2018 10:16 AM
Aug 19, 2018 10:44 AM
Nov 2013
I'm really happy to hear that it delivered! Can't wait to watch it once I get home!

Them screenshots look epic as hell, I hope you're right about next week getting a ton of love too.

As happy as I am about this episode though, it's really starting to look like BNP is gonna try to adapt the 3rd part of the arc right here and now. I am terrified for the 3rd parts pacing. Please let there be some magical chance that BNP can make it like 16 episodes or something at least. 30 chapters, many with lots of dialogue, in 4 and a half episodes is basically impossible without heavy content cuts.
Aug 19, 2018 10:56 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
crystalblade13 said:
I'm really happy to hear that it delivered! Can't wait to watch it once I get home!

Them screenshots look epic as hell, I hope you're right about next week getting a ton of love too.

As happy as I am about this episode though, it's really starting to look like BNP is gonna try to adapt the 3rd part of the arc right here and now. I am terrified for the 3rd parts pacing. Please let there be some magical chance that BNP can make it like 16 episodes or something at least. 30 chapters, many with lots of dialogue, in 4 and a half episodes is basically impossible without heavy content cuts.
This season will probably cover up to Chapter 677. So that means 21 remaining chapters will get 12 episodes. That's more than enough time
Aug 19, 2018 11:34 AM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
crystalblade13 said:

This season will probably cover up to Chapter 677. So that means 21 remaining chapters will get 12 episodes. That's more than enough time
was it actually confirmed though what the episode count is going to be?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 19, 2018 12:21 PM

Sep 2014
Godammit, cannot believe that the Anpan God died so abruptly. RIP Yamazaki. Anyway, the episode was epic as hell and I was in awe for 20 minutes. What an episode! Next week cannot come soon enough.
Aug 19, 2018 12:48 PM

Dec 2014
Hype episode, that was amazing.

Seeing Sadharu get hurt like that completely destroyed me, that limping walk, his damaged face and the scene where he pushed Gin-san away was so sad. :(

The fight scenes were amazing, like really really good. Utsuro's movements were animated so well. Like Wow. :o
I was ginning when everyone made their appearance to fight Utsuro. xD

I still kinda think they made Utsuro far too OP in the story, it's kinda like what happened to Aizen from Bleach, I guess he does kinda have the weakness in the Altana crystals but still.

Is Yamazaki actually dead? I can't believe they killed him off just like that? :O

Next episode is looking even more hype, I can't wait.
Aug 19, 2018 12:54 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was awesome as fuck. Utsuro was absolutely destroying everyone, but it's starting to look like his time might be up soon. I was really hoping Gintoki would use the sword he got from Umibozu for a longer time, too bad it got destroyed so soon. Also, Shinpachi had a pretty badass moment, it was nice to see him stand his ground against someone who, at full strength, could probably take him out instantly.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 19, 2018 12:58 PM
Dec 2016
Damn, that was rushed. Ok, the most important was covered, but some scene w/ Kondo or Shinpachi were cut, and I have the feeling that there is not enough time, like in the manga, to feel the character's feelings. For exemple, in the manga, Kondo stab Utsuro at the end of a chapter, saying more badass things, and you all that Yamazaki part was more painful. The same for Shinpachi, I didn't felt stunned like in the manga. That was the negative part.

But the animation quality was gold, in my opinion better than all that we since Rakuyo. I was expecting less, after having seen the last big fight with Enshou, but I was surpised in a very good way And the next episode looks really good too. The end of the arc is starting to be really close, and I'm curious to see how it will be orginazed.

Also, I recently noticed that during the Opening. It's something really hidden, so I never noticed it until yesterday. It's not a major spoiler about the continuation of the arc, but I don't recommend to read this if you didnt read this arc in the manga, because it's something like a hint
Aug 19, 2018 12:59 PM

Mar 2016
oh my gOD WHAT !!! SO MUCH JUST HAPPENED,,

............................. i'm actually speechless.

Vacu0usAug 19, 2018 1:09 PM
Aug 19, 2018 1:13 PM

Jan 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:

The more this season goes on the more I am stressed that they are cramming the whole thing into 13 episodes. Wouldn't there be an announcement for the next episode to be the last one if they were doing part 3? And why would they rush this part so much if they were getting another season? Nah, I think this will be it unfortunately
Aug 19, 2018 1:18 PM
Jan 2017
Ok so I don't read the manga so I have absolutely no idea and please no body spoil anything but I wanted to know if there is going to be another season or will they wrap everything up in this season with just 12 episodes?
Aug 19, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2017
Son_nish-kun20 said:
Ok so I don't read the manga so I have absolutely no idea and please no body spoil anything but I wanted to know if there is going to be another season or will they wrap everything up in this season with just 12 episodes?

Nothing is confirmed by now, everything said here is just a speculation
Aug 19, 2018 1:34 PM
Jan 2017
holiday498 said:
Son_nish-kun20 said:

Nothing is confirmed by now, everything said here is just a speculation

Thanks for the info :). I would love it if we get more and more gintama. I wouldn't mind just the comedy arcs too. But it's too late for that never gonna happen :(
Aug 19, 2018 1:34 PM
Dec 2016
Son_nish-kun20 said:
In fact, we all thought that there will be another season. But it's really strange the wey it's rushed now (7 chapters in today episode, it's really huge), so it's really weird for the pacing. But it's impossible to finish Gintama this season I think, if you want a good and fair adaptation. BUT the manga is finishing soon (4 or 5 chapters left), which, so this season will end almost at the same time than the manga, so maybe they want to do something with that. I prefer by far another season, but maybe we will have a movie, which can be a good thing too.
Aug 19, 2018 1:42 PM

Jul 2015
That was a fantastic episode, really intense action where one could feel the despair that comes from Utsuro's power, Shinpachi got a lot of respect from my part after that scene at the end.
Aug 19, 2018 1:59 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JizzyHitler said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
No confirmation yet.

Nobraniarcanin said:
Damn, that was rushed. Ok, the most important was covered, but some scene w/ Kondo or Shinpachi were cut, and I have the feeling that there is not enough time, like in the manga, to feel the character's feelings. For exemple, in the manga, Kondo stab Utsuro at the end of a chapter, saying more badass things, and you all that Yamazaki part was more painful. The same for Shinpachi, I didn't felt stunned like in the manga. That was the negative part
Idk man, I loved the fast pace. It creates the tension of an lack of time. Imagine if they ended on the Kondo scene. It would be a hype end, but the next episode, the Shinsengumi would look pathetic again. And Shinpachi got more than enough. Hell, BNP added so extra attacks for him because in the manga, he only did one blow.

holiday498 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

The more this season goes on the more I am stressed that they are cramming the whole thing into 13 episodes. Wouldn't there be an announcement for the next episode to be the last one if they were doing part 3? And why would they rush this part so much if they were getting another season? Nah, I think this will be it unfortunately
Considering that the manga is ending at the end of September, it's impossible for BNP to animate the end because Sorachi doesn't tell them anything early beforehand. Plus, they started production for this episode half a year ago, back when everyone thought that Gintama will have a 10 or less chapter long epilogue. Considering how everything is structured, Gintama can't cover the ending in this cour
Aug 19, 2018 2:04 PM

Mar 2014
Poor Sadaharu. Please don't attack the dog. :(
Still can't believe the weapon Gintoki obtained from Umibouzu just got destroyed from the get-go.
But then the Shinsengumi and the Yatos come to save the day!
Well, not really. They're all dying, rip.
Poor Yamazaki, he just got a glimpse of hope when he saw that Sougo and Hijikita were coming to save him. :/
Hijikata and Sougo make a great duo together, lol, but they still got beaten along with Kondo.

Holy shit Utsuro is even faster than during his previous fight with Sougo though. Also, Kamui becomes Kagura's shield.

The most hype moment of the episode is probably Shinpachi's scene, he really got the spotlight this time(Kondo also did), I really loved this character more after reading this chapter in the manga. It's also nice to see the yorozuyas fighting together.

One thing I really liked this episode is how the artstyle/animation got gradually better, I was disturbed a bit with the CGI mobs but the episode still looks really good, especially when compared to the previous one. Next one will probably be of the same level too.

HYPE!
Aug 19, 2018 2:07 PM
Oct 2017
Could someone explain what kind of move Kagura did with her umbrella, before Utsuro hit a home run with his scabbard? Looked kinda weird, I guess she protected Shinpachi while using it as a steppingstone or smth, still can't really make it out though
Aug 19, 2018 2:17 PM

Jul 2017
It was rushed to hell, but I don't care. That was very intense and I loved it.

I have no idea if Yamazaki is dead but I feel like it is? Seeing him die in an anticlimactic way actually fits his character if you know what I mean?

BNP had a poor outing last week, and whilst there were hiccups here and there, the action looked much better in this episode.

Generally, a really entertaining episode.
Aug 19, 2018 2:46 PM

Jul 2017
Oh hi MAL, it's been a while.
Personally i really love the intensity of this episode. Yes, the amount of chapters adapted was so absurd, and some OSTs are kinda out of place for me. But overall it's really enjoyable.
"The night is in its darkest just before dawn. But keep your eyes open. If you avert your eyes from the dark, you'll be blinded by the rays of a new day. So keep your eyes open, no matter how dark the night ahead may be."

- Gintoki Sakata
Aug 19, 2018 2:55 PM

Jan 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Considering that the manga is ending at the end of September, it's impossible for BNP to animate the end because Sorachi doesn't tell them anything early beforehand. Plus, they started production for this episode half a year ago, back when everyone thought that Gintama will have a 10 or less chapter long epilogue. Considering how everything is structured, Gintama can't cover the ending in this cour

I wish you were right, I mean I would love a good adaptation of the last part, but it still doesn't make sense why they are rushing so much though these chapters. I mean the whole season feels like a race, not just the early episodes. Sorachi could easily tell them the ending since the manga chapter would be out before the potential episode 13, or they might make an original ending (I hope that won't be the case though).

If they make another season, amazing, but I'd rather be prepared for the rushed ending. Like you said, they didn't expect the manga to go on for that long, so maybe they HAVE to do it in this cour for some reason

Aug 19, 2018 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
JizzyHitler said:
No confirmation yet.
i really think its better to prepare for worst case scenario of them rushing through the final chapters than us getting a 2 cour series then, I think best we can hope for at this point is a unusual episode count like 16 episodes or something but it seems far more likely to me they would just end the series the same time as the manga
JizzyHitlerAug 19, 2018 3:38 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 19, 2018 3:54 PM

Nov 2016
Jesus, Utsuro is way too op and having the ability to regenerate is reminding me too much at Cell or Buu, lol.

And Yamazaki, please survive this.
FMmatronAug 19, 2018 3:57 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 19, 2018 4:11 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
holiday498 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

I wish you were right, I mean I would love a good adaptation of the last part, but it still doesn't make sense why they are rushing so much though these chapters. I mean the whole season feels like a race, not just the early episodes. Sorachi could easily tell them the ending since the manga chapter would be out before the potential episode 13, or they might make an original ending (I hope that won't be the case though).

If they make another season, amazing, but I'd rather be prepared for the rushed ending. Like you said, they didn't expect the manga to go on for that long, so maybe they HAVE to do it in this cour for some reason

It makes sense why they're adapting so much. This episode was in production in early 2018. Back then BNP thought that if they end the fight by episode 8, 4 more episodes would be enough to cover the epilogue and end the series. They never knew that Sorachi would extend the epilogue for almost 30 chapters. If that was the case, they would've slowed down a bit.

Also, Sorachi's never in contact with the animation studio, since they've had a conflicting relationship since 2012. Sunrise hated that Sorachi delayed the script for the second Gintama movie, causing them to make Enchousen, and Sorachi hates that he only got a fixed payment for the movie's success and no royalty pay. Ever since then, neither of them talk about each other.
GoldenDevilGamerAug 19, 2018 4:15 PM
Aug 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Nov 2015
I don't know what to say... As an anime only watcher, that was amazing. So many feels and epic moments in one episode. The next episode is hyping me up as much as gintoki va takasugi.

Feels good to be on these forums again.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Aug 19, 2018 4:38 PM
Dec 2016
"Idk man, I loved the fast pace. It creates the tension of an lack of time. Imagine if they ended on the Kondo scene. It would be a hype end, but the next episode, the Shinsengumi would look pathetic again. And Shinpachi got more than enough. Hell, BNP added so extra attacks for him because in the manga, he only did one blow."
Yeah but I just can't tell myself "oh waw Yamazaki died i'm shocked", because it feels like really not that important. Also it skips the brotherhood feeling in the shinsengumi. But this may be a good thing in the end, because it works well, but the details are skipped. And this is not the first time that they skip thing I wanted to see on screen (for exemple some scenes with the Kihetai some episode ago), but no problems, if the job is still well done like that.

PS: I suck at quoting on mal
NobraniarcaninAug 19, 2018 4:46 PM
Aug 19, 2018 5:15 PM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
holiday498 said:

It makes sense why they're adapting so much. This episode was in production in early 2018. Back then BNP thought that if they end the fight by episode 8, 4 more episodes would be enough to cover the epilogue and end the series. They never knew that Sorachi would extend the epilogue for almost 30 chapters. If that was the case, they would've slowed down a bit.

Also, Sorachi's never in contact with the animation studio, since they've had a conflicting relationship since 2012. Sunrise hated that Sorachi delayed the script for the second Gintama movie, causing them to make Enchousen, and Sorachi hates that he only got a fixed payment for the movie's success and no royalty pay. Ever since then, neither of them talk about each other.
I highly doubt no one at jump was in contact with the animation studio for timing when its meant to end, and if thats true then thats not reassuring and more or less just spells out doom that they most likey going to rush the final chapters to get them out in 1 cour cause they probably wouldnt of booked a 8 month timeslot if they really thought it was ending shortly after this

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 19, 2018 6:27 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JizzyHitler said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

I highly doubt no one at jump was in contact with the animation studio for timing when its meant to end, and if thats true then thats not reassuring and more or less just spells out doom that they most likey going to rush the final chapters to get them out in 1 cour cause they probably wouldnt of booked a 8 month timeslot if they really thought it was ending shortly after this
Not really. Jump probably wasn't sure about when Gintama was about to end. They can't animate the ending in time. At most, they need 3 months of production time, and with BNP not having the manga content early (like FMA: B did), no matter what, even if they want too, they can't cover the manga's ending, since the manga ends next month. The only issue is whether or not TV Tokyo will give BNP another 3 month time slot.
Aug 19, 2018 6:39 PM
Aug 2018
Wow, finally a good episode.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Aug 19, 2018 6:44 PM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
JizzyHitler said:
Not really. Jump probably wasn't sure about when Gintama was about to end. They can't animate the ending in time. At most, they need 3 months of production time, and with BNP not having the manga content early (like FMA: B did), no matter what, even if they want too, they can't cover the manga's ending, since the manga ends next month. The only issue is whether or not TV Tokyo will give BNP another 3 month time slot.
I mean we'll see over the course of the next 5 weeks but I'm not buying that at all and I sure as hell know japanese broadcasting times are not something so easily swapped out. I hope your right but highly doubt it and it sounds like if anything your saying is true its spelling doom that the production will be absolutly horrid.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 19, 2018 7:58 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JizzyHitler said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
I mean we'll see over the course of the next 5 weeks but I'm not buying that at all and I sure as hell know japanese broadcasting times are not something so easily swapped out. I hope your right but highly doubt it and it sounds like if anything your saying is true its spelling doom that the production will be absolutly horrid.
Oh no, when I said another 3 months, I didn't say consecutively. I meant if TV Tokyo would give the series another season sometime in the near future. Otherwise, there's no way the anime can cover the ending, not when this cour will probably end the same week the manga's final chapter is out.

No matter what, they can't cover the end of Gintama's manga within this cour. They need the storyboarding and the script of an anime episode done at least 3-4 months before an episode's broadcast. Assuming episode 12 of this episode was in-production since March, they can only cover a bit of the third part. They probably underestimated the length of the epilogue.
GoldenDevilGamerAug 19, 2018 8:03 PM
Aug 19, 2018 8:21 PM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
JizzyHitler said:
Oh no, when I said another 3 months, I didn't say consecutively. I meant if TV Tokyo would give the series another season sometime in the near future. Otherwise, there's no way the anime can cover the ending, not when this cour will probably end the same week the manga's final chapter is out.

No matter what, they can't cover the end of Gintama's manga within this cour. They need the storyboarding and the script of an anime episode done at least 3-4 months before an episode's broadcast. Assuming episode 12 of this episode was in-production since March, they can only cover a bit of the third part. They probably underestimated the length of the epilogue.
oh ok if thats what you mean then i can buy it, I feel like they'd probably still try to drag it out to 12 episodes which if they actually plan proper original content for they could likley do well with, if there is another split cour i might just dive into the manga to avoid spoilers and embrace the expected dissapointment of the ships probably not sailing.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 20, 2018 12:03 AM
Mar 2018
We could always hope for an extended cour tho. They are rare, but possible. That is maybe the best thing that could happen to the Gintama anime at this point (compared to cramming 35 chaps into 5 episodes or making a slow-paced and low-selling third season).
Aug 20, 2018 1:28 AM

Dec 2015
This episode was a fucking mess. Utsuro has lost all the intimidation he had when he first appeared, the fights are just single-shot pans or scenes that barely last few seconds and end far too quickly. This season is going down the drain fast.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 20, 2018 2:53 AM

Dec 2013
Hype episode. Utsuro is terrifying and ridiculously op.

At least they are starting to turn this fight around towards the end.
Aug 20, 2018 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
Sadaharu saved everyone.
Damn, I know Utsuro is an immortal monster but he is too much.
His immortality is going away!
Aug 20, 2018 5:00 AM

Oct 2015
7 chapters in a single episode. Wow. I kinda understand people who thinks it feels rushed. All those deaths, and we had like 3 seconds to think about them, unlike in the manga.

So, we are in a really weird situation here regarding the ending of the anime. We have a few chapters of this arc, which should be only enough for 1 more episode. So here are the options:

1, The season ends with only 8 episodes, and we get a third (aftermath) season. I highly doubt this option. 8 eps in a season? Nah...
2, 8 episodes of story + we get funny/filler eps. That wouldn't really fit here either imo.
3, Those remaining 4-5 chapters each get an individual episode. That seems impossible after burning through chapters in such a fast pace.
4, The mangaka already told the ending of the manga to the animator staff, and we are also getting the aftermath. This seems the most possible option, although the mangaka wasn't sure about ending the manga, so there's not much time to end the manga. This means the anime and the manga would end kinda simultaniously.
5, we get an original anime-ending?

I really wonder what's going to happen in this season, since they burned the chapters so quickly.

Aug 20, 2018 12:28 PM
Dec 2015
(sorry if bad english)
just read the manga at this eps, my god there's a lot of dialog, looks boring too. but this eps they cut some parts in the manga and only focus the fight. if they follow the manga , this eps will end at the part when shinsengumi, harusame, and baldy came together.
Aug 20, 2018 12:48 PM
Dec 2010
Question for the manga readers: The preview for the next episode mentions the people of the earth giving their energy, and the animation shows said energy going up to the sky -
Gintoki is going to spend the rest of the season firing up a Genkidama (or rather Ginkidama), isn't he?
Aug 20, 2018 1:50 PM
Nov 2013
joe_g7 said:
This episode was a fucking mess. Utsuro has lost all the intimidation he had when he first appeared, the fights are just single-shot pans or scenes that barely last few seconds and end far too quickly. This season is going down the drain fast.
most of the scene looked great this episode, what are you talking about? And how is Utsuro losing his credibility when he literally just solo'd an army of yato, shinsengumi, and like 6 main characters? While blind I might add. You are looking for complaints. The choreography itself was at the higher level of Gintama's usual choreography, I can confirm as a manga reader- where choreography and art are all you get in the fight scenes.
Aug 20, 2018 4:09 PM

Mar 2008
It is absolutely sad to see one of the greatest anime ever made have such shit animation. It keeps getting worse.

Gintama is 10/10 and I'll always love it, but this animation is garbage.
I've said it in the thread about last week's episode, but yea.. I wanted Gintama to continue for a long time still and not end, but seeing what is happening... better not drag it out.
Animation, pacing etc will only get worse from here, it seems.

Love Gintama. This new animation is real shitty though.
RomeoAug 20, 2018 4:14 PM
Aug 20, 2018 6:12 PM

Dec 2015
crystalblade13 said:
most of the scene looked great this episode, what are you talking about? And how is Utsuro losing his credibility when he literally just solo'd an army of yato, shinsengumi, and like 6 main characters? While blind I might add. You are looking for complaints. The choreography itself was at the higher level of Gintama's usual choreography, I can confirm as a manga reader- where choreography and art are all you get in the fight scenes.
Says the guy that has given every single Gintama entry a 10 out of 10? Maybe you're a little biased, have you ever considered that?

No, the only great choreography in this episode was when Toshi and Sougo went against Utsuro, and that only lasted 5 seconds. The rest was either done in a flash or with a single slash which might as well not have been shown because what's the difference? Have you forgotten how amazing Utsuro was when he first appeared? He took on EVERYONE, and the fight wasn't over in just a few seconds or with a single slash, he recked them again and again and they weren't even able to touch him. THAT was amazing. THIS is absolutely horrifying and a waste of a perfectly good fight.
Aug 20, 2018 7:30 PM
Nov 2013
joe_g7 said:
crystalblade13 said:
Says the guy that has given every single Gintama entry a 10 out of 10? Maybe you're a little biased, have you ever considered that?

No, the only great choreography in this episode was when Toshi and Sougo went against Utsuro, and that only lasted 5 seconds. The rest was either done in a flash or with a single slash which might as well not have been shown because what's the difference? Have you forgotten how amazing Utsuro was when he first appeared? He took on EVERYONE, and the fight wasn't over in just a few seconds or with a single slash, he recked them again and again and they weren't even able to touch him. THAT was amazing. THIS is absolutely horrifying and a waste of a perfectly good fight.

I am biased as fuck when it comes to Gintama as a series, as I just love it's writing and characters that much. But animation wise, I'll be honest when something looks bad. The shinpachi scene looked just as good as the Sougo and Hijikata scene. And many, many other scenes looked great. Don't take my word for it, go to the website DEDICATED to good animation (sakuga) and see for yourself. https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=gintama

The only parts that looked meh, were the parts near the beginning, particularly where Utsuro was approaching yamazaki and the characters were just dying without Utsuro moving. And the several still shots. 90% of the scenes when anyone relevant was fighting Utsuro looked great. And ya wanna know what makes your claim even funnier? It's the same damn animator who did Utsuro vs everyone in Farewell shinsengumi: youhei sasaki.

I'd also like to point out that the first Utsuro fight in farewell shinsengimi also had many still shots, and the only time the animation looked truly amazing was from the point gin started fighting him, to when he broke Utsuro's mask.

Form a choreography and threat standpoint (leaving animation behind), I can't see how you think this episode makes Utsuro look bad, when he was slaughtering hundreds of enemies and tossing around umibozu and kamui like they were nothing.
Aug 20, 2018 7:37 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
MrMik1995 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

I've heard about Sorachi not being paid royalties but what's your source for Sorachi delaying 2nd movie script which led to Enchousen?
Well, it was delayed due to Sorachi, but it wasn't his fault: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-22/gintama-2nd-film-slated-for-next-summer

But Enchousen was never supposed to be a thing. The reason why it got a "final" movie in the first place was because sales had a decline, TV rating dropped drastically, and overall, Gintama wasn't making as much for Bandai Namco as it did before. They probably made Enchousen to keep Gintama relevant before the movie came out. They couldn't afford to have Gintama lose it's popularity before the movie comes out.
Aug 20, 2018 7:54 PM

Dec 2015
crystalblade13 said:
I'll be honest when something looks bad.
I honestly doubt that. Especially after you said that you're biased as fuck when it comes to Gintama, and we're talking about Gintama right now.

The shinpachi scene looked just as good as the Sougo and Hijikata scene. And many, many other scenes looked great. Don't take my word for it, go to the website DEDICATED to good animation (sakuga) and see for yourself. https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=gintama
Alright, Shinpachi's was also better. Still, almost half of the runtime in most scenes in the sakugabooru that you so proudly linked are just characters talking or doing nothing after they finishing 3 seconds of action. Amazing sakuga indeed.

And ya wanna know what makes your claim even funnier? It's the same damn animator who did Utsuro vs everyone in Farewell shinsengumi: youhei sasaki.
Ya wanna know what's even funnier? That you think that animators are always 100% consistent in every single one of their projects.

Form a choreography and threat standpoint (leaving animation behind), I can't see how you think this episode makes Utsuro look bad, when he was slaughtering hundreds of enemies and tossing around umibozu and kamui like they were nothing.
I never said he looked bad, just that I wasn't as impressed/amazed by his fighting capabilities as the first time he appeared.
Aug 20, 2018 8:16 PM
Nov 2013
joe_g7 said:
crystalblade13 said:
I'll be honest when something looks bad.
I honestly doubt that. Especially after you said that you're biased as fuck when it comes to Gintama, and we're talking about Gintama right now.

The shinpachi scene looked just as good as the Sougo and Hijikata scene. And many, many other scenes looked great. Don't take my word for it, go to the website DEDICATED to good animation (sakuga) and see for yourself. https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=gintama
Alright, Shinpachi's was also better. Still, almost half of the runtime in most scenes in the sakugabooru that you so proudly linked are just characters talking or doing nothing after they finishing 3 seconds of action. Amazing sakuga indeed.

And ya wanna know what makes your claim even funnier? It's the same damn animator who did Utsuro vs everyone in Farewell shinsengumi: youhei sasaki.
Ya wanna know what's even funnier? That you think that animators are always 100% consistent in every single one of their projects.

I never said he looked bad, just that I wasn't as impressed/amazed by his fighting capabilities as the first time he appeared.

The visual aspect isn't what I'm bias towards, it's the series writing and characters. There have been plenty of episodes in this cour that have had little to no good animation. And I've been dissapointed multiple times by the portrayal of several great manga scenes in the anime. This episode wasn't disappointing visually to me at all.

The kamui and kagura scenes may have been short, but they were dynamic and very well animated. And the far away shot of Utsuro jumping up, before pogo hopping on his sword to slaughter a ton of fodders, was also great. I'll acknowledge that all scenes on the site aren't created equally, but a short burst of good animation is still good animation. The gifs on the site are moderator approved, and I'd hope the moderators of an animation based site would know a thing or 2 about animation.

It's true that he may not have had AS much time to make every scene this episode look as good as gin and Utsuro's 30 second clash in farewell shinsengumi, but it's kinda hard to when he's animating many, many more scenes here than he did in that episode. I once again encourage you to go back and watch that episode. It wasn't pure Sakuga, it had slow moments and still shots as well.

That's fine. You don't have to be. Opinions are opinions. I happen to think he looked more impressive here, considering he was fighting many more opponents, including umibozu and kamui, the second and 3rd strongest characters in Gintama IMO.
Aug 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
joe_g7 said:
crystalblade13 said:

i agree other than toshi and sougo and the little towards the beginning, there wasnt much choreography involved. gintama(2015) had the best animation, cant compare this to Takasugi vs gin. still i would rather have some semblance of animation(like this episode) than having none at all(like all the previous episodes in this season). .
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Aug 21, 2018 12:18 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Trump_Card said:
joe_g7 said:

i agree other than toshi and sougo and the little towards the beginning, there wasnt much choreography involved. gintama(2015) had the best animation, cant compare this to Takasugi vs gin. still i would rather have some semblance of animation(like this episode) than having none at all(like all the previous episodes in this season). .
To be fair though, the Gin vs. Takasugi episodes consisted of more flashback content and talking, then actual action animation. Like, Episode 304, the fight didn't start until midway into the episode, and more than half of that half of the episode was flashbacks. Episode 305's action ended several mins before the end of the episode, and flashbacks was still the majority of the episode. I still agree though, Gintana 2015 was the peak of the series' animation no matter what. But this episode, which is all action minus that 1 minute Shinpachi flashback and a couple of dialogues here and there, did a great job with its production.

crystalblade13 said:
It's true that he may not have had AS much time to make every scene this episode look as good as gin and Utsuro's 30 second clash in farewell shinsengumi, but it's kinda hard to when he's animating many, many more scenes here than he did in that episode. I once again encourage you to go back and watch that episode. It wasn't pure Sakuga, it had slow moments and still shots as well.
Agreed. Prior to Gin vs Utsuro, almost all strikes and attacks were still shots. Not to mention, Utsuro's action in FS only is around 4 mins in total. As supposed to this episode, where it's almost an entire episode. But that Gintoki vs. Utsuro part in that episode was near perfect.
GoldenDevilGamerAug 21, 2018 12:23 PM
Aug 21, 2018 1:43 PM
Nov 2013
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Trump_Card said:

To be fair though, the Gin vs. Takasugi episodes consisted of more flashback content and talking, then actual action animation. Like, Episode 304, the fight didn't start until midway into the episode, and more than half of that half of the episode was flashbacks. Episode 305's action ended several mins before the end of the episode, and flashbacks was still the majority of the episode. I still agree though, Gintana 2015 was the peak of the series' animation no matter what. But this episode, which is all action minus that 1 minute Shinpachi flashback and a couple of dialogues here and there, did a great job with its production.

crystalblade13 said:
Agreed. Prior to Gin vs Utsuro, almost all strikes and attacks were still shots. Not to mention, Utsuro's action in FS only is around 4 mins in total. As supposed to this episode, where it's almost an entire episode. But that Gintoki vs. Utsuro part in that episode was near perfect.

Yeah, I think Gin vs Utsuro in farewell shinsengumi may be the best animation in the series. Still, it's silly for some to say that this episode was inferior to that considering this episode had vastly more action. I personally think this episode may be one of the best looking in all of Gintama, when you look at how many scenes looked above average- it's a pretty high number. The peak of this episode was Utsuro VS Hijikata and Sougo, and the whole shinpachi scene. This would equal the shinsengumi arcs gin vs Utsuro as the highest quality point in the episode (of course gin vs Utsuro looked better than this weeks highest points but....). In contrast, if you compare all the other high quality scenes this episode (the umibozu+Kagura+kamui stuff, some of uturo vs the army, and little bits of gin and Utsuro) it beats out utsuro vs everyone prior to gin showing up in farewell shinsengumi .
Aug 21, 2018 1:54 PM
Mar 2018
The animation was good. The sword fighting was good as well. The thing that I didn't like is that BNP is rushing things with the anime and in doing so they are missing the emotional factor. When Yamazaki was cut, I didn't feel anything considering the character has been an integral part of Gintama; as if he was like the rest of the unnamed soldiers Utsuro sliced up. Similalrly for Kondo and Shinpachi when they were cut. In the manga it was slow, they had a little flashback before Yamazaki was cut; adding the emotional factor to it which was totally missing in the anime. Another thing is that we want to see the sword swinging; not just a flash on the screen and the soldiers being sliced up. Yeah I know Utsuro is damn fast but at least BNP could have shown some hand movement while swinging his sword like how in the manga he was doing so. Other than that the entire episode was awesome. Especially the beginning when Gintoki is total badass; "Hey, what do you think you are doing? He is my dog!!" that was epic
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Oct 7, 2018

142 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 3, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 30, 2018

76 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 2, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Aug 26, 2018

94 by MewkiWay »»
Jan 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 23, 2018

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 16, 2018

51 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.