Forum Settings
Forums

Isekai and Being trapped in a game is an overuse trope we need a new one.

New
Aug 15, 2018 8:14 PM
Aug 2018
I don't have really good ideas about that and I'm quite fond of writing novels to past time. But in this case I read a lot of LN's and most of them talks about isekai and being trapped in game some LN's are good and some are a little under the weather.

So in this case we really need a new one here's a list in my opinion.

1. MC died in an another world reincarnated in Japan (start with a daily highschool life where the MC helps the other characters on there problems)

2. Moe girls in fucked up situations ( Moe is very important concept in an anime and I haven't really seen enough show that has this concept)

3. Complex Mind Games that surprise the watchers or readers ( like no game no life it gain popularity because of this the thrill of manipulating someone or even bluffing to them is so darn good that you can't get enough mixed it up with magics, school life or mecha and you can get decent shits)
FragileGlassAug 15, 2018 8:37 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 15, 2018 8:16 PM

Oct 2017
i don't have much of a problem with isekai itself, i only really have a problem with isekai series where they get teleported to an mmo, because that's a trope that is overused to me
Aug 15, 2018 8:23 PM

Apr 2018
I don't think that trend will end soon. I don't read LN but some new manga that recently released follow the trend and it's not only about action now. In seinen manga, I found some isekai-cooking combinations. I am not surprised if there'll be isekai-CGDCT, isekai-parenting, isekai-slice of life and othe combinations later on.
Aug 15, 2018 8:25 PM

Aug 2015
Then what about stories about reincarnated in to a game?? XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Aug 15, 2018 8:30 PM
Aug 2018
Meira_Eve said:

Yah I think so too and I think that too can be put in the isekai genre
Aug 15, 2018 8:34 PM
Aug 2018
An0nim said:
I don't think that trend will end soon. I don't read LN but some new manga that recently released follow the trend and it's not only about action now. In seinen manga, I found some isekai-cooking combinations. I am not surprised if there'll be isekai-CGDCT, isekai-parenting, isekai-slice of life and othe combinations later on.

Will yes you can pretty much pair up any genre for isekai because it have that deep waters thatvis not really explored
Aug 15, 2018 8:37 PM
Aug 2018
ramaseta said:
i don't have much of a problem with isekai itself, i only really have a problem with isekai series where they get teleported to an mmo, because that's a trope that is overused to me

I too but most isekai now a days are pretty cliche you can pretty much visualize the whole story itself.
Aug 15, 2018 8:41 PM

Apr 2015
Isekai will be ingrained just as much as moe in the future :P Although, this "trope" is not inherently bad in itself. It's just the use of it that has become samey-samey with a lot of recent animes using this setting.

Also, smartphones have become a subsidiary of the genre as well lol.
Aug 15, 2018 8:46 PM

Jan 2012
Why!?

Isekai is so good, we just keep craving MOTS and Japan keeps giving it to us.
You can never have too much of a good thing.

Haters gonna hate; they wouldn't be making so many of them if they weren't popular with the rest of us.
Aug 15, 2018 9:15 PM

Oct 2014
I don't really see them going away. While there are some pretty mediocre and straight up bad ones, as long as a few good ones keep popping up (such as Overlord), the industry will take that as there's a market for it still; thus continuing to produce and adapt similar LNs.
Aug 15, 2018 9:15 PM
Jan 2015
It took over the magic school trend a few years ago and eventually it'll die down and we'll get another new trend, so you're going to have to wait it out OP. I'm not watching all of them or even most of them, so I guess the over-saturation doesn't really bother me to much, but I can understand the complaints.
My Queens

Aug 15, 2018 9:16 PM

Dec 2017
FragileGlass said:

1. MC died in an another world reincarnated in Japan (start with a daily highschool life where the MC helps the other characters on there problems)

Oh nice countering isekai with a reverse-isekai.

The cardboard cutout isekai shows won't end as long as long as people continue to buy them. And it's easy to see why. Escapism from the real world.

"Reality is a lovely place but I wouldn't want to live there". -The Real World
Reina_OrikasaAug 15, 2018 9:19 PM
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Aug 15, 2018 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
lol Again with people exaggerating about isekai's trend.

There are many other troupes that appears as frequent as, if not more than isekai, but we don't see people crying nearly as often about it. For example, Mecha, Idols, CGDCT. Just learn to avoid it, instead of constantly nagging about it.
Aug 15, 2018 9:20 PM

Mar 2016
this statement in itself is an overused argument to hate what's mainstream. I agree with you, but reality is this shit sells and it's not going anywhere. Anime is the epitome of capitalism, just look at the entirety of Akiba
send help

and friends
Aug 15, 2018 9:28 PM

Feb 2013
There's many Isekai on LN but in anime seasons there's what? 4 at best from 30 anime per season? It's nothing and can be ignored if you don't like.

And anyway, Isekai is a genre, not a trope. You can do Isekai in many different ways.

An0nim said:

Those are all Light Novel adaptations for manga. Isekai don't exist in original manga in that way.
Aug 15, 2018 9:28 PM

Jul 2017
FragileGlass said:

We already have Re:creators (kind of...)
あなたは誰?
Aug 15, 2018 9:53 PM

Feb 2015
Aug 15, 2018 10:19 PM

Apr 2018
caio_ken said:
There's many Isekai on LN but in anime seasons there's what? 4 at best from 30 anime per season? It's nothing and can be ignored if you don't like.

And anyway, Isekai is a genre, not a trope. You can do Isekai in many different ways.

An0nim said:

Those are all Light Novel adaptations for manga. Isekai don't exist in original manga in that way.

Well, many manga now are based on LN. So if it's a trend in LN, it also will become a trend in manga. Whether the manga is original or based on LN doesn't matter.

Btw, I am not saying a trend is bad.
Aug 15, 2018 10:41 PM

Dec 2017
isekai is overused yes, but the creativity is limitless, the fact that the one who gets adapted is always the one with MMO, sword & magic, guild system, level system, kingdom and etc is the one that makes Isekai for me looked pretty mediocre.

despite that, i’ll probablu still watched it though.

why dont they combine isekai + idol + moe, that would be so sick, easy money
Aug 15, 2018 10:55 PM

Aug 2013
it'll probably die out like all trends

I just want my school battle harems back

Aug 15, 2018 11:01 PM

Apr 2018
Inukanura said:
isekai is overused yes, but the creativity is limitless, the fact that the one who gets adapted is always the one with MMO, sword & magic, guild system, level system, kingdom and etc is the one that makes Isekai for me looked pretty mediocre.

well, this one doesn't really fit the bill
but more like MMO (maybe trapped later)-Moe
Aug 15, 2018 11:07 PM
Aug 2018
Inukanura said:

yeah still didn't see an isekai shoe with this concept and most of it are the MC being OP af
Aug 15, 2018 11:12 PM

Apr 2016
Fujobait anime disguised as battle shounens and sports are what is overused here.
Aug 15, 2018 11:12 PM
Jan 2018
Um how bout someone dies in a different world then gets reincarnated in japan
Aug 15, 2018 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
Inukanura said:

in the end though isekai being popular in anime is only cause its huge in light novels rn, and there isn't gonna be much variation like idols in those. the game systems and cheat powers are just too popular atm, and anything else is just being reborned as random shit.

Aug 15, 2018 11:19 PM

Apr 2018
1 maybe it is good if they show the struggles of the mc when he tries to acomodate with dealing with provlems with no power or not being a king or something (assuming he was important in that world) and that he will have a personality change from being full of himself and not caring about other to becoming the opposite
2girls that happens to be cute being in
fucked up situations is a concept now?
Anw dunno what you mean by "fucked up "
But any key anime or higirashi or some harem like sora no otoshimono and kore wa zombie and euphoria have such things
3mecha and mind games tf
Aug 15, 2018 11:21 PM
Jun 2015
NexusN said:

Hataraku maou-sama is kindda like that, but the mc not reincarnated, just being teleported
Aug 15, 2018 11:29 PM
Jan 2018
farazdionakbar said:
NexusN said:

Hataraku maou-sama is kindda like that, but the mc not reincarnated, just being teleported
wouldnt it be more fun if a op guy dies in another world then reincarnated in japan then he has trouble living because he doesnt have his op powers
Aug 15, 2018 11:37 PM

Aug 2015
Are you trapped in someone's basement and they making you watch isekai anime? Should I call the police? If not then why you can't just ignore isekai anime?
Aug 15, 2018 11:38 PM

Jun 2017
And yet I'm thinking of reading Re zero. I dropped the anime but hey! I may like the WN !!

Aug 15, 2018 11:44 PM

Dec 2014
UImoetard said:
lol Again with people exaggerating about isekai's trend.

There are many other troupes that appears as frequent as, if not more than isekai, but we don't see people crying nearly as often about it. For example, Mecha, Idols, CGDCT. Just learn to avoid it, instead of constantly nagging about it.

Those tropes and in some cases subgenres are not as inherently limiting in the kinds of stories they can tell as Isekai though. Gurren Lagann and Gundam are two ends of the spectrum in story telling involving mecha. Whereas in Isekai the protagonist must die, reincarnate with a ridiculously broken ability whether the story chooses to acknowledge it as such or not and then set about moving up in their new world. I'm not saying that's an inherently bad thing, but it can get very tiring, very fast.
Aug 16, 2018 12:37 AM
Aug 2018
Akerakai said:
1 maybe it is good if they show the struggles of the mc when he tries to acomodate with dealing with provlems with no power or not being a king or something (assuming he was important in that world) and that he will have a personality change from being full of himself and not caring about other to becoming the opposite
2girls that happens to be cute being in
fucked up situations is a concept now?
Anw dunno what you mean by "fucked up "
But any key anime or higirashi or some harem like sora no otoshimono and kore wa zombie and euphoria have such things
3mecha and mind games tf

What I mean in option 2 and 3 is

2 moe girls in fucked up situations like school live or something where the story is set where zombies roam

3 like code gease where the MC will do anything to win with tricks or try to gain advantage
Aug 16, 2018 12:39 AM
Aug 2018
farazdionakbar said:
NexusN said:

I've watch the devil is a part timer and it was good kinda like reverse it's the reverse of isekai
Aug 16, 2018 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
Well, Isekai is shit. That damn long ass title irks me so much. And being overpowered and upgraded beta cucks make me wonder whats wrong with the author's head. Did he just drop on his head?
Aug 16, 2018 1:06 AM

Jul 2014
I agree it's a bit overused nowadays kinda gets sucky if you think about it. Welp can't wait for the time where idols and mecha get isekai'd back to japan with mind games become the next big thing.
Aug 16, 2018 1:20 AM
Aug 2018
Onii-chan said:
Well, Isekai is shit. That damn long ass title irks me so much. And being overpowered and upgraded beta cucks make me wonder whats wrong with the author's head. Did he just drop on his head?

Not all isekai is shit actually look at overlord for example even if the MC is super strong it shows a much more realism when it comes to ruling something, and the show is popular because we have some amazing characters and different personality which is a really good example for character building unlike any other isekai like that smartphone one where the MC and the rest are pretty much similar when it comes to personality
Aug 16, 2018 1:21 AM
Aug 2018
Jare4lopez said:
And yet I'm thinking of reading Re zero. I dropped the anime but hey! I may like the WN !!

You should the WN is pretty good compared to the anime they even cut some parts where the witch talk to subaru
Aug 16, 2018 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
FragileGlass said:
Not all isekai is shit actually look at overlord for example even if the MC is super strong it shows a much more realism when it comes to ruling something,
Realism? Nah, it is not Overlord strong point. It is Ainz decision to do what he must do for the greater good of Nazarick what makes audience on the edge of seat.
and the show is popular because we have some amazing characters and different personality which is a really good example for character building
From villain protagonist perspective, Ainz character development is decent like how he killed the innocent adventurer Arche and co like a goddamn fiddle.
Aug 16, 2018 2:00 AM

Feb 2018
I don't have an issue with that whole transported to another world in some way trope just the same bland mmo worlds are pretty boring.
Aug 16, 2018 2:06 AM

Jan 2018
I love isekai. All the more reason to watch it if main character is trapped or teleported to a mmo world where he needs to be the peace catalyst or some sort of hero.
Boring? more like can't get enough of it.
Aug 16, 2018 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
maybe isekai is popular in japan which is why isekai anime keep getting released
if they make profit off of them they won't stop
Aug 16, 2018 3:05 AM

Feb 2013
Don't watch it if you don't like it.
There are tons of other anime you can watch.
Aug 16, 2018 4:17 AM
Jun 2015
I would say mushoku tensei is the best isekai out there, but unfortunately didnt have anime adaptation
Aug 16, 2018 4:41 AM

Sep 2011
Hack series, SAO, Log Horizon, Overlord. I don't know if I miss a series but yeah sure "getting trapped in a game" concept isn't new anymore but I don't think it's overused.
TennoujiAug 16, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 16, 2018 5:21 AM
Nov 2013
SAO, Overlord, and Log Horizon are all similar...
Isekai Smartphone, Re: Zero, and No Game No Life are all similar...
Stretching Isekai definition here but : Kono Subarashii and Drifters are very similar...

There is hundreds of examples of how these shows are nothing alike. Granted i'd like some more high fantasy settings, but wtf.

Aug 16, 2018 5:24 AM

Oct 2013
Isekai trash sells so expect more of it. There are isekai anime where they actually offer something new and/or interesting but they're too few and far between.
Aug 16, 2018 5:32 AM

Nov 2016
Swagernator said:
Fujobait anime disguised as battle shounens and sports are what is overused here.

I still think that we need more of them, so you have something to be salty about and I have my fun. Win Win.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 16, 2018 5:40 AM

Mar 2012
Remember people Digimon is also isekai and that's part of your childhood.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 16, 2018 5:56 AM

Nov 2009
An0nim said:

Isekai-parenting, you say?
There you go: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/isekai-yururi-kikou-raising-children-while-being-an-adventurer/
It is exactly as the name implies: a story about a guy who went to another world, where he works as an adventurer and raises two cute children. All three of them are hilariously overpowered.

Isekai slice of life is probably something like this: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kuma-kuma-kuma-bear/ . At the very least, it is Cute Girls Doing Cute Things.

Meira_Eve said:

Like this season's Shichisei no Subaru (where a girl spontaneously reappears in her favorite MMORPG, and her friends who are playing normally are confused), or like this season's Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (where the MC is suddenly summoned into a world suspiciously similar to his favorite MMORPG)? Or do you mean something else?
Aug 16, 2018 6:26 AM

Aug 2015
flannan said:

Meira_Eve said:

Like this season's Shichisei no Subaru (where a girl spontaneously reappears in her favorite MMORPG, and her friends who are playing normally are confused), or like this season's Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (where the MC is suddenly summoned into a world suspiciously similar to his favorite MMORPG)? Or do you mean something else?
I mean where the MC really died in their original world and get reincarnated in to a game world that they've played before. It's a common thing for shoujo novels, and the game they got reincarnated in to are mostly an Otome (dating) game. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 31 minutes ago

9 by Kenzolo-folk »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

19 by IKKIsama »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Kushna »»
22 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.