Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2018 12:36 AM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty decent ending for one of the weakest of the series from KyoAni for me. Was nice to see the characters again and for the last time. Can't mention the amazingness of animation from KyoAni, the movie was an eye candy and some small 3d effects mixed were pleasant to watch.
7/10
Aug 8, 2018 2:46 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 8, 2018 9:00 AM

Mar 2014
So do they finally kiss or were MoeAni too afraid to upset their otaku fanbase?

Also how much of a presence does the pink-haired cunt from season 2 have in the film?

Answer in a spoiler so that I can decide whether I should add this to my PTW or not
Comic_SansAug 8, 2018 10:03 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 8, 2018 9:32 AM

May 2012
Really lovely movie and final for this series if you ask me, really loved to see the characters and setting once again and really enjoyed this more romance based and seriues tone of this movie!

Quite enjoyed the movie start to finish and well it certainly was a very lovely run of this series!
Aug 8, 2018 1:16 PM

Feb 2013
Nibutani and Dekomori should become a real couple, those girls are perfect together.
Rikka and Yuuta really know how to make my kokoro go doki doki with their kissing, super embarrassing and kawaii.
Wow, Touka got married.
It was a nice movie.
Aug 11, 2018 6:07 PM

Jun 2012
I loved this movie and everything about it. The artwork was beautiful, the animation was great, Yuuta and Rikka's relationship finally progressed... Does this mean the end of the series?

I just finished this a few minutes ago and feel really sad. I don't want it to be over, I don't want them to be gone... I feel like I've lost a friend. =( I hate this feeling.

EDIT: This is definitely not the weakest series from Kyoto Animation. That probably goes to Tamako Market or Free! (former is all slice of life and a meh movie, latter is just shit)
Aug 12, 2018 9:45 AM

May 2013
I loved the movie!

Watching these characters again was lovely and having Yuuta and Rikka travel together was so much fun.

I'm really glad they finally kissed because I feel like Rikka needed this for her growth. Not that the kiss would magically cure her chuunibyou, but because it would be a way to show both of them how serious their relationship was and to make a new contract.

I really love this series and all of the characters so much. Chuunibyou means so much to me. I think this movie was a great way to end it all, although I wouldn't complain if we ever get more content because I never get tired of them.

On a side note: why do KyoAni have to tease us so much with yuri and never give us what we want?? Deko and Nibutani are P-E-R-F-E-C-T for each other! I hate all the teasing because it leads to nothing. It's so annoying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2018 5:24 PM

Feb 2014
It's been a long time since I watched the prequels, but Touka just married a random guy?

As far as I can remember I didn't have as much as fun as I had watching the prequels, but still it was above a "fine/ok" movie. 7/10
TechOtakuAug 12, 2018 6:36 PM
Aug 12, 2018 5:39 PM

May 2017
I just watched this and I'm very satisfied at the moment. I'm really happy they finally got that kiss, that was really sweet.
It was also really hilarious watching Dekomori and Nibutani traveling together being manipulated by Touka. They had some great moments together in my opinion.
It was also pretty funny seeing Isshiki just randomly appear like that on the train.
Also, does anyone else think it's so unbelievable that they're almost 18? It's quite funny knowing Rikka is almost an adult, guess that's just anime for you, huh?
Aug 13, 2018 2:01 AM

Jun 2008
Great ending for this series.

I think the fact that we could even have such a proper and satisfying finale is quite an accomplishment seeing as MOST anime never really have one.

Rikka and Yuuta were a great couple and I’m happy they got their happy ending and one can assume one day they too will marry and probably Rikka will stop being chuuni, but the main point was that no matter what Yuuta loves Rikka for who she is regardless of whatever.

Oh and the whole Nibutani and Dekomori stuff was hilarious...I loved every moment of this movie.

9/10
Aug 13, 2018 3:00 AM

Jul 2014
seeing Touka getting married off to some unknow random character really pisses me off (i get the feeling of being NTRed FEELSBADMAN), they should have atleast given as a short introduction about them and i would have been happy. overall the movie was decent at best.
Aug 16, 2018 11:46 PM

Nov 2014
I freaking loved the first season of chuunibyou. The themes really resonated with me. Having said that, this movie simply rehashes the same themes and there is no plot to speak of. Dekomori x Nibutani antics were the best part of this movie. The (second to?) final confrontation of this movie was pretty cringe inducing. The best thing this movie had going for it was the character interactions, but the forceful drama only served as a hindrance. It was still a nice watch and the final kissing scene was lovely, so 6/10.
Aug 19, 2018 12:05 AM
Jan 2015
I loved this movie. It was total fanservice, but that's all I really needed. The story was simple and only hit on themes that the series has used before, but the art and characters were perfect. The art was consisntently amazing and added a lot to the experience, but the characters were really what made this movie perfect for me. All the characters were lovable- even though some characters had much more screentime than others. Nibutani and Dekomori always made me laugh, which was great, seeing as they're in this movie a lot. The movie gave Rikka and Yuuta a lot of time to themselves, leading to so many amazingly cute moments. Their relationship in this movie couldn't have been any better. Again, this was total fanservice, but that's all fans needed.
"Meeting you was the best thing that ever happened to me. You made me so happy. I don’t want you to be lost or afraid or anything like that. From here on out, I know things might be hard sometimes. But no matter what, please don’t ever regret the time we spent together."
-Furukawa Nagisa
Aug 21, 2018 5:06 AM

Dec 2014
Wow The Movie was such a good end to the fiasco..leaves you with a complete feeling....

thankyou creator san for making this movie
Aug 21, 2018 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
So the series has ended I think? and I don't really feel sad I feel kinda happy. That was a fun ride while it lasted.
Aug 23, 2018 8:50 AM
Jul 2017
Comic_Sans said:

Also how much of a presence does the pink-haired cunt from season 2 have in the film?

Answer in a spoiler so that I can decide whether I should add this to my PTW or not

Pink-haired cunt?
Sichimiya was amazing in S2...
Like... what?
okay... I know why some wouldn't like her, but that's harsh...

But here you go...

Aug 23, 2018 9:23 AM
Jul 2017
I love the main two series, and now the movie too.
Throughout everything, Yuuta and Rikka's interactions are definitely the highlights of the entire show. They are so cute together.

Of course, there are many problems with this series, as with any other series as well. With Isshiki quickly becoming useful pretty much first hallf of S1, Touka being seemingly quite shallow, and the ending for S2.
I really liked Sichimiya as a character, it was quite relatable and I could sympathize with her arc.

And this movie, is, the slightly imperfect bow to tie up the story. The journey we go along with Yuuta and Rikka is so cute and heart-warming, the climax is beautiful, and that ending scene is great. With references from Kyoukai no Kanata to The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and self-referencing jokes that poke fun at not only S1 and 2, but even their other shows, it is indeed fanservice to most KyoAni fans.

That ending scenario is quite out of the blue though...
Aug 27, 2018 5:58 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
--ALEX-- said:
Great ending for this series.

I think the fact that we could even have such a proper and satisfying finale is quite an accomplishment seeing as MOST anime never really have one.

Rikka and Yuuta were a great couple and I’m happy they got their happy ending and one can assume one day they too will marry and probably Rikka will stop being chuuni, but the main point was that no matter what Yuuta loves Rikka for who she is regardless of whatever.

Oh and the whole Nibutani and Dekomori stuff was hilarious...I loved every moment of this movie.

9/10

I was more like expecting Rika to reach a compromise, she would graduate from it, but would still play around from time to time with Dekomori.
What we got like you said is also very meaningfull, overall I do like the conclusion and think this is strongest part of the series, very fitting to be the conclusion, but it also feels that as conclusion, they could have a bit more to what happens after, and not just leave at that point.

Deko x Nibu were great as always, I do love yuri myself, but I dunno if this couple could work, they are far more funny with the current status quo.

I rated both previous seasons an 8, when I first watched S1, I never really got into it much, but it had a nice message, and for S2 I rewatched S1 and the movie, and come to like the series even more, but this movie is by far the best.
Enganging, charming, from beggining till the end, more than the previous seasons did, it left me desiring for more.

8.7/10 = 9
Aug 30, 2018 10:18 PM

May 2016
Well that was rather a good way to wrap things up gotta admit they did good on this. 7/10
I will really miss Gelzoniansasu and Tyrant Eye especially Rika’s way of talking.
Aug 31, 2018 10:44 PM

Nov 2014
damn.. Chuu-2-byou never failed to amazed me, i liked every aspect in this movie adaptation,

- Runaway Lover theme with beautiful travel perspective and moments
- The great balance between chuu-2 fantasies and real life aspects.
- Great character role and development for each character present in it
- NibuDeko as student representatives :DDDD and their usual comedic act
- That Funny Odin "GOD" representation XD
- Touka wedding with amount of cherish and happiness with chuu2byou best OP "Sparkling Daydream"
- and The best of all YuutaRika Kissing moments with beautiful love statements ( Yuuta statements that he'll love Rikka forever for who she is regardless of whatever )

As i could see from the story it felt like this movie adaptation might be a final wrapper for this entire series.Because of that, there are mixed feeling between happy and sad for me , since it could be the last adaptation for this series.

But i still hoped, they'll keep making another adaptation for this series even as an spinoff or OVA and of course it'll be even greater if they make another tv series or movie adaptation ( their college life maybe, or spinoff about their marriage in the future, or anything >__<).

I'm really glad for watching this series, thank you KyoAni for this wonderful movies, it's an absolute 10/10 for me.
r16fourarmAug 31, 2018 10:52 PM
Sep 2, 2018 8:17 AM

Apr 2013
Man, Touka can be sooo annoying... even though she's still hot. Overall similar to the show, enjoyed mostly the animation.
Sep 3, 2018 2:10 AM

Jan 2016
Even if it was only a so-so movie (compared to the two seasons), that just felt so good to watch. It was so pure and wholesome. 100% heart boner from start to finish. My only disappointment is that I'll never get to see one of anime's best couples on the screen again... until I start rewatching.
Sep 6, 2018 4:55 AM

Apr 2016
this movie was pretty good to end this story..
Final score 8/10

Sep 14, 2018 1:47 PM
Aug 2016
I didn't know this one had references to other KyoAni titles, and when I saw Tamaya I literally jumped up! It had Haruhi, Clannad and Tamako. And, you might think I'm weird, but the cruise scene really felt like the ending of EP 5 of Evergarden. Even the sound of the ship's horn seemed like the same!

Overall, a nice, sweet, nothing-which-pokes-much ending.

Dunno why, but Ryuk pops up in my head... "It was good while it lasted. We eased each other's boredom for quite a while."
TheBala2000Sep 14, 2018 1:56 PM
Sep 23, 2018 6:36 AM

Feb 2014
The movie serves a as a perfect way to end the series! 9/10 for me

KyoAni finally made the relationship of Yuuta and Rikka to progress which in my opinion they should have done it in the second season.

The Nibutani and Dekomori stuffs were funny, they should get a spin-off.
Sep 30, 2018 4:54 AM

Jul 2009
All those moments between Nibutani and Deko was worth it!
Also, why Touka didn't said since the start that she was going to marry?!
Sep 30, 2018 1:03 PM
Sep 2018
That movie was good
Oct 14, 2018 6:02 AM

Jan 2011
Well, I thought it was nice for this series to have some closure.

Still need a spinoff to give us that Nibutani x Dekomori ending.
Oct 16, 2018 8:36 PM
May 2017
About damn time they kiss. Pretty satisfying conclusion, I wish I just skipped season 2 and watched this instead.
Oct 23, 2018 3:32 AM

Jan 2009
great finale

Nobutani X Dekomori yuri is strong on this one

meanwhile Yuta and Rikka finally kiss and say they want to love each other despite the inevitable changes

and wow best girl Touka got married she is sexy hot MILF now
Oct 25, 2018 12:35 AM

Oct 2014
Lot of drama instead of fun romantic moments. Less battle scene too.

Too melancholic for me. I'm actually surprise that it has a big score here in MAL.

Its good, but not worth rewatching it.

6/10
Nov 4, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2014
Very nice movie, fantastic resolution to the main series. I really felt Rikka's development and love how they were both progressing together.

Watching this reminded me how much I enjoy these characters and it makes me wish we could still have more, but perhaps I'll just have to do a rewatch.

9/10
Nov 6, 2018 3:56 PM

Dec 2015
It gave what people wanted, but with some weird stuff too. I can count on fingers how many times a real ost was played on this movie. The excessive silence is definitely something that anoyed me throughout the movie. Also the first arc is really forced. But honestly, it made me satisfied with the ending, and that was what the movie was tying to achieve. 7/10 for me
Nov 8, 2018 12:50 PM

Sep 2013
I guess this movie will be the last from the series which kinda makes me sad. This is pretty much a conclusion already I dont know if they can still add something to the story. I dont know if the LN is still ongoing I might pick it up and start reading it. Anyway nice movie. From start til the end it is the chuunibyou series we know and loved. Kinda funny how Rikka is already 18 in this movie but she still looks like an elementary student lol.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Nov 19, 2018 3:59 AM

Jul 2012
The interactions between Shinka and Dekomori were the highlight of the movie for me and I enjoyed watching these two more so than the main couple.

Still, this was cute conclusion and definitely more satisfying than S2.
Nov 20, 2018 3:21 AM

Jan 2016
To be honest I couldn't ask for a happier ending, loved it!
Nov 27, 2018 8:35 AM

Dec 2016
I watched Season1,2 and the movie in like two days and I cant express how I feel in words. This was an amazing and heart-warming way to finish this story. Although I am sad that its over, I am just glad that it ended the way I wanted it. I will always remember this :D
Dec 14, 2018 3:25 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great movie!
After Season 2, I didn't think this movie would be as good as Season 1 but I’m honestly relieved and glad that it is! Lots of crazy irrational and impossible situations were thrown into the mix here, but this is exactly why I picked up this series and liked it in the first place.
Long live the Wicked Eye and the Dark Flame Master!

Rikka and Yuuta’s relationship finally moved forward and what a way to make it happen! An elopement, at first, sounded like a really far-fetched even for a show of this insane caliber but I couldn’t have asked for more once it actually happened! Really sweet moments throughout, it was nice to see a lot more of Debu x Nibu and more of Kumin and the Magical Girl Shichimiya! I really liked the interactions of these characters and I’ll surely miss them now for sure. Lol, Kunimi’s crush though.

KyoAni’s glorious art delivered this episode too, particularly during the virtual fight scenes and when the tempo reached high, making it a great watch visually too! Rikka’s sister is the great tyrant as always, but I found it hilarious in the end that she just wanted Rikka to attend her wedding. She definitely enjoys terrifying the kids and playing around with them. It was nice to see the whole bunch in Italy too and the post credit scene was really adorable too, it seems like the two really love each other now!

All in all, a thoroughly satisfying watch! Had Debu x Nibu actually happened, I’m sure the movie would’ve been a lot more wholesome but even with just the hints, it was enough to satisfy me.

Goodbye Chuunibyou series, I’ll definitely watch it over again sometime in the future. Maybe 5-10 years or maybe even more from now on, but I’ll deinitely get around to watching it!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 30, 2018 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
its always the kyoani movies that ends up being more fun than they make themselves out to be lol
Nibutani and Dekomori are the real stars of this and really made the movie imo especially the sushi scene.
completely thought Togashi would've forgot the ring under the bed since they put so much attention into it that small part and woulda been a totally different movie, kinda glad i was wrong.
i really like that this whole series pretty much build towards that one kiss and sure enough made a big spectacle when it finally happened.
i totally enjoyed this more than i expected to
Jan 20, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2017
It gives a good feeling inside when a series like this gets a well deserved conclusion. Feels good man.
Feb 16, 2019 4:46 PM
Feb 2010
Comic_Sans said:

Pink-haired cunt? lol How can you hate on that cutie pie.
SlashBriarFeb 16, 2019 5:59 PM
Feb 24, 2019 10:14 AM

Feb 2008
Liked the ending, but sometimes it made me sleep. No need to praise the amazing animation because you know, its Kyoto Animation at their best.

But honestly, couldn't have stayed up if I watched it on cinemas. Paused it too many times. Well done movie, sometimes boring, sometimes funny, sometimes interesting and of course, great voice acting.

6/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Mar 10, 2019 10:34 PM
May 2017
I mean the movie was cute and fun for what it was but I felt like nothing really progressed. At least we FINALLY got to see them kiss, but let's be honest: acting like chuunibyou at 18 years ain't cute. I rathered Rikka grew up. She can still be eccentric in her own way, just not running around her imaginary world. Season 1 is still my favorite part of the series, and I'm sad the writers never decided to resolve Rikka's issues and bring them to a conclusion, instead pussyfooted us an ending that ultimately changed nothing about Rikka and progresses her relationship with Yuuta by a milimeter.
Apr 1, 2019 4:54 AM

Jun 2017
It was a fitting ending (Touka getting married out of nowhere was weird tho) but to be honest I was kind of bored apart from the Dekomori and Nibutani parts. The plot really didn't go anywhere if you think about it, Yuuta will love Rikka regardless of her level of chuuni xD.

Glad the series at least got properly finished. Not many can say that nowadays (especially ones that have usually several years between seasons).
Apr 22, 2019 9:23 PM

Jun 2012
It really was a weird drama or pointless rather. Or maybe I'm just getting swept by the years now to take a chunibyou case seriously. But the scenes which is the entirety of them eloping and the chasers doing some slapstick comedy was pretty entertaining itself so I could overlook the weird drama on it.

And as it reaches the climax, I think I've already figured out what's Yuuta's about to say and all but seeing it happened still gave an impact to me so I'd definitely say its a good ending.

Props to KyoAni for the good productions too. 6/10
May 1, 2019 6:26 PM

Mar 2013
if this story was in brazil they would already have 3 kids and rika would be pregnant with the 4th, Very Good Movie, BTW
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
May 4, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2012
So in the end, they weren't even able to hold normal conversation and she stayed basically the same... *sigh*
Never grow up, eh? I know exactly why KyoAni wrote it this way but it was just an easy way out, nothing else. More and more of the same.

This was certainly disappointing... It's season two all over again, reset and then all the developement just circled back to the square one. She just stays frozen in her autistic fantasies no matter what and that I can hardly see as positive outcome. Would be different if she actually learned how to act more mature and put her chuuni disguise on from time to time but this conclusion was exactly other way around.
In theory it's nice to support her in such way but in reality Yuuta actually makes her a huge disservice by encouraging such behavior even more. She would get dependent even more while she should learn to move on with her life and realize there are other things worth doing.

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked all the fanservice in the movie and the animation was really great. Nibutani x Dekomori moments were simply hillarious, travel though Japan was amazing (wished they actually went to that love hotel, heh) and the wedding twist in the end was well thought. But now I'm even more pissed that KyoAni (or source material) didn't have the balls to forgo their archetypes in the end, let them "graduate" in their lives, take a step into uncertain and scary world of adulthood and bring us more satisfying ending. They didn't even bother to resolve the thing with the university which may split them in the future as Rikka won't probably get there. Well, they won't be able to milk the opportunity of another possible sequel if they did.

Animation and farservice-wise the movie was great but the story-wise it was completely redundant, the same as the series two was. First season was pure gold as it had the plot with great conclusion that implied Rika overcoming her chuunibyou syndrome and falling in love with Yuuta. No sequel was ever needed, there was no need explain things any further. Every other continuation was just one step forward and two steps back.

5/10
Jun 8, 2019 6:41 AM

Jul 2015
"Please stop this is embarassing" The only five words you need to describe this series.
Pretty good movie, really missed those cringey but funny moments.
Still Toka is best girl of this series, never expected her to get suddenly married.

Jun 29, 2019 11:11 PM

Feb 2018
The movie was about bringing Rikka to Italy for Touka's wedding..but the two had the wrong idea and run off. : D 9/10
Jul 20, 2019 5:52 PM

Feb 2014
Whatever the future may bring you, never change what remains pure in your heart. What a cute movie with all those memories down the lane.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anyone else disappointed with how it ended?

MrFlakey - Mar 28, 2021

21 by epidemia78 »»
Mar 20, 3:32 PM

» Watch after season 1?

Vaelyx - May 7, 2019

3 by HagePotPotato »»
Aug 6, 2022 12:30 PM

Poll: » i'm not a yuri fan but i really want to see deko and nibu kiss in this upcoming movie

removed-user - May 25, 2017

15 by HarmonicDX »»
May 1, 2022 9:08 PM

» [Spoiler][Discussion]I dont like Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Movie -Take on me ending

steamedham82 - Nov 29, 2018

28 by HarmonicDX »»
May 1, 2022 9:00 PM

» What is next (sequel?)

Ikitik - Jan 14, 2019

3 by Keanan88 »»
Dec 23, 2020 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.