Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 2:49 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
episode's been garbo from ep20 onwards (cept for Lassic vs Cyclops and Priscilla's final moment), Marrine's reasoning and redemption pretty much rendered the entire series pointless, could've prevented shit loads if she didn't just decide by herself they needed to go to war. Pretty sweet ending and epilogue but felt somewhat hollow. Couldn't really enjoy the last few episodes, unfortunately.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 8, 2018 6:12 AM

Nov 2014
This series really suits my taste especially "western" fantasy vibe like GOT with a great mixup of fantasy, war, politic, and romance, i also been expecting it since i watch the screening.
as i can see, the actual greatness seems to end in ep 19, for ep 20 onwards it feels like somewhat rushed and leaving few things in obscurity, fortunately the last episode especially epilogue and ending brought another wonderful moment ( for me, since i really shipping TheoxSiluca pair so much since 1st episode).

since i personally loved this series so much, 10/10 for me. all hail TheoXSiluca XD
r16fourarmAug 8, 2018 6:25 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:04 AM

Oct 2014
The final episode of this show was honestly my favorite finale of any show this season, it wrapped up the story as nicely as it possibly could. There were a few unresolved plot threads that they managed to sweep under the rug for the sake of a picture perfect finish.

Everything that was resolve was done so with incredible panache, the storyboards and animation of the final battle against the vampires, the double wedding, the perfect world peace ending the main characters were fighting for was perfectly capped of with the double rainbow!!

Absolutely fantastic.

r16fourarm said:
This series really suits my taste especially "western" fantasy vibe like GOT with a great mixup of fantasy, war, politic, and romance, i also been expecting it since i watch the screening.
as i can see, the actual greatness seems to end in ep 19, for ep 20 onwards it feels like somewhat rushed and leaving few things in obscurity, fortunately the last episode especially epilogue and ending brought another wonderful moment ( for me, since i really shipping TheoxSiluca pair so much since 1st episode).

since i personally loved this series so much, 10/10 for me. all hail TheoXSiluca XD

A fellow man of taste I see ;)
Aug 8, 2018 9:31 AM

Aug 2017
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

First half is very bad, the second is a bit better. A lot of plot armor, stupid enemies and shitty writing. Marrine deserves all the hate. The ending feels like your generic 'happy ending'. I don't like this anime. 2/5 for the episode. 3/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 11, 2018 1:58 PM

Apr 2014
Nurguburu said:
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

First half is very bad, the second is a bit better. A lot of plot armor, stupid enemies and shitty writing. Marrine deserves all the hate. The ending feels like your generic 'happy ending'. I don't like this anime. 2/5 for the episode. 3/10 for the anime.

Well, I absolutely loved that "generic happy ending", so don't think that most people will share your opinion. In fact, am I not even sure what is so generic about it. It's been ages since I have seen anything like it in the seasonal anime. I should not be surprised really, since most of them have teenagers as the whole cast. Wedding endings in particular are nowhere to be found.

All in all, this show was anything but generic. Actually mature and realistic characters when in 95% of the shows you get teenagers and/or harems....

Regarding the last episode itself, Theo's speech in particular was a very cool scene. You could really see how much he has grown as a person from the very beginning, but at the same time you can also say that he had the least amount of growth, since his ideals were already pretty complete from the very start.

He also never made any wrong steps, not even in the end, when he kept looking at his goal of returning to Sistina, so much that he had no qualms about abdicating after completing his other goal of eradicating the Chaos.
Leonhart93Aug 11, 2018 6:54 PM
Aug 12, 2018 1:23 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
bestkatalyn said:
Nurguburu said:

Well, I absolutely loved that "generic happy ending", so don't think that most people will share your opinion. In fact, am I not even sure what is so generic about it. It's been ages since I have seen anything like it in the seasonal anime. I should not be surprised really, since most of them have teenagers as the whole cast. Wedding endings in particular are nowhere to be found.

All in all, this show was anything but generic. Actually mature and realistic characters when in 95% of the shows you get teenagers and/or harems....

Regarding the last episode itself, Theo's speech in particular was a very cool scene. You could really see how much he has grown as a person from the very beginning, but at the same time you can also say that he had the least amount of growth, since his ideals were already pretty complete from the very start.

He also never made any wrong steps, not even in the end, when he kept looking at his goal of returning to Sistina, so much that he had no qualms about abdicating after completing his other goal of eradicating the Chaos.

Gotta agree with you.
This is an happy ending made right, overall the series had alot of pacing problems, lots of wasted potential.
8.4/10 = 8

But it also had alot of heart IMO, really want all the more to read the full work now to better experience it all.
Final episodes got really good thought, and this conclusion really made the series leave me with a very sweet and harming taste, rather than most of the sour shitty endings nowadays.
Aug 18, 2018 9:10 AM
Jan 2016
Oh, I do not believe this show really is over, I'm going to miss it so much! One of the best of the winter / spring season. I am happy to have followed this love story between Theo and Siluca, their development was so good, the double wedding was very cool too, Siluca's dress and hair were beautiful and beautiful too. The evolution as lord and as commander was really good, of course I
will never forget the most respectful couple, Villar and Margaret, died with honor, fighting to the last breath, resting in peace, Alexis showed us that he
can be serious at times, and a real strategist and artist, Marrine finally married with his beloved man, after what she did. And, dont forget about Priscila,
she did everything to help Theo journey.

The plot was really nice, i am happy that i could meet this character of all entire anime.

The Art and animation fitted me perfectly, OPs and EDs will go definetly mark and remember all about this show.
Oct 3, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2014
this happy ending actually satisfy me.

so technically the era went back from futuristic to the stone age of barbarian style, it's like Shingeki no Kyojin plot combined with GoT plot all along.

I was waiting for all crest to merge into one big grancrest, too bad the didn't animate it, they skipped it instead. damn

i feel bad for Sir Balgary, did he died or dissapear back to his world? I hope it's the latter.
Nov 9, 2018 1:30 AM

Dec 2012
Dat heart.
We Wolf's Rain now. STRAY!
Dat light.
Priscilla.
He seppuku'd.
3 years later.
They having a double wedding. lol
The BlazBlue.
Cait Sith disappeared.
Priscilla.
Dat ending.

Holy crap! I finally finished this. I'll miss my #1 and #2 waifu Margaret and Colleen. They were too fine to die. I'll miss you so much.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 11, 2018 6:27 AM

Nov 2016
felt a bit too much of 'arslan sengki'. a group of people can easily topple everything else. and of course the instant peace without resolve between the warring nations (before the academy showed up) leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Nov 28, 2018 2:54 PM

May 2013
Just finished this mere moments ago. Went in with low expectations with Record of Grancrest War, after finishing Record of Lodoss War : Chronicle of Knight....and was pleasantly amused. The author's writing in this series is definitely a massive step up from the Lodoss series.

This was surprisingly a very decent ending to the series. The show overall felt quite rushed so the viewer might be fooled into thinking everything happens at a breakneck speed or "instantly" (which is not really the case now that I think about it). Maybe this could have used 26 episodes to flesh out a few more of the character developments but the show felt good enough in that department, considering the large cast.

To be honest, it felt like it was a part of a larger universe. I'm half wishing that I should waited for the bluray release (and or an English dub) for some extra polish in the animation during some of the epic fight scenes and dialogues.
KreatorXNov 28, 2018 2:57 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 14, 2019 4:28 AM
May 2016
who is that chick at 21:16 of the clip?
Jan 23, 2019 2:40 AM

Aug 2011
ToG25thBaam said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
episode's been garbo from ep20 onwards (cept for Lassic vs Cyclops and Priscilla's final moment), Marrine's reasoning and redemption pretty much rendered the entire series pointless, could've prevented shit loads if she didn't just decide by herself they needed to go to war. Pretty sweet ending and epilogue but felt somewhat hollow. Couldn't really enjoy the last few episodes, unfortunately.

I totally agree with this assessment; Lassic, for all his reluctance to take front and center, really showed his mettle in his final fight scene. Loved it.

Priscilla's sacrifice was a tear jerker and I wasn't ready. But the results that followed were beautifully done.

IMO - Marinne could have disappeared with the rest of the chaos. I've disliked her since the Villar Constance/Magaret episode.

The wolf tribe has suffered too many atrocities.

Pretty decent ending; I enjoyed seeing Siluca and Theo together at the end; Not sure what Aishela's deal was; she should have hooked up with Irvin.
Jan 31, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2018
Bit of a jumbled mess near the end, but I enjoyed the mostly successful attempt by the series to have a multi-sided "epic war" feel, which most anime fail at miserably.

Ticking off the purity-taku trash was a big plus. More series should include characters like Marrine.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Apr 4, 2019 11:18 PM
Mar 2008
Just finished, it the series plot kinda feels stupid since everything was resolved / packed in the last couple episodes but the conclusion / epilogue kind of made it enjoyable to watch.
Apr 13, 2019 6:49 PM

Feb 2016
They were leaning on the Romeo and Juliet thing pretty hard for Alexis and Marrine, it shouldn't have been an 'happily ever after' ending for them, especially because of Marrine's dumb reasons for war and all her war crime-ing.

For me a perfect ending to their story would have been Alexis sneaking into Marrine's camp to see her and start to win her back, only for Milza to kill him before he does.
Fortunately Alexis had already given his crest to Theo, Marrine would realize how retarded everything she was doing is and kills herself rather than live without Alexis.
Milza takes her crest and control of the Alliance.
The Milza vs Theo battle would be more meaningful and Theo would make Lassic (the first and most loyal lord to acknowledge him) the 2nd Emperor.

All that being said; I really appreciated the closure that the ending gave -we don't get that too often.
Priscilla's death is the most poignant event for me and of course Marrine bartering away her V-card for an alliance with an antihero/asshole/psycho is not something one forgets.
May 22, 2019 9:56 PM

Jan 2011
Haha Marrine is not worthy to wear white on her wedding day lol. Great show, that Crest looked Majestic and amazing. Glad Theo and Siluca can live out the rest of their lives together with some of their friends back in Sistina.
Jul 26, 2019 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
Well that got...really weird. The pace of these last 2 episodes reminded me of the fast forward speed of the first few. The battles felt a bit anticlimactic and typical for final bosses - a far cry from the nerve wracking duel between Theo & Milza. The whole "humanity will become too powerful and destroy itself" idea probably could have worked better if it wasn't thrust in so suddenly at the end. Though on a side note, it reminds me of a bizarre dream I had a couple of weeks ago where vampires were trying to annihilate humanity before we could set off another nuke. Gotta wonder if premonition is a real thing sometimes.

Anyway, one could have likened aspects of this to Game of Thrones. While there were fantasy elements established early on, the focus was more on the battles & politics of the feuding lords. In the midst of this war, each lord & lady had their own ambitions and there was no telling what would happen next. It was also refreshing to see that very seldom would things work out for the better in dire situations (i.e. Villar's death). Though not quite to the same degree, it reminds me of certain weddings in GoT.

Something else to point out is that the characters would often say things that masked their intentions, both from other characters as well as the audience. It was a bit difficult to follow when listening in another language and reading subtitles, but effectively what characters said wasn't always what they literally meant. For example, when Marrine says that she'll leave her first time entirely in Milza's hands because of his experience. Another way to interpret that is that she doesn't intend on being an active participant in the act since that would suggest a willingness to have sex beyond it serving as a pact for their alliance. In this show in particular, it became vital to understand character's underlying motives & goals in order to better read into their words & actions.

On that note, Grancrest Senki could certainly get unsettling & grueling from episode 9 onward. The awkward pacing at the beginning made it difficult to get into, but from that moment on it began to display its true colors & shades. That's why these last two episodes took me by surprise considering the lack of real casualties and relatively safe happily ever after. Though I certainly don't mind the deviation towards a happy ending. Now if they really wanted to blow our minds, they should have shown an advanced civilization finally destroying itself in the epilogue.

Meh, I'll settle for the final kiss under the rainbow.

7.5/10
ZekkenshinJul 26, 2019 6:12 PM
Nov 24, 2019 12:57 PM

Sep 2016
Well, excuse me.

*clears throat*

"ThIs ShOW hAs BaD pAcInG"

*ahem*

Let's move on.

That last bit about the future is so meta my jaw literally dropped :o
And Theo like "yeah, f the old future, the new future is now"
Now everything will be different, for sure. New world, new future.

The whole bit about the post apocalyptic/dystopian reset to origin to save humanity also didn't feel like an asspull at all to me.
If anything, it made me go "Oh, I see, it's because of that" about the way the story's world had a quite weird mix up of historical elements to the point I couldn't actually pinpoint this story to a specific century.
I mean, it's obviously medieval, probably around X century: feudal system, no firearms outside of magic crossbows (and cannons) but then there are a lot of elements (like clothings, the inside of castles, the cannons I mentioned before, etc) that scream "XIX century", lol.
Of course the whole chaos contaminated the eras with elements from the future, and the more the balance conflicted with the chaos, the more modern elements would appear.

Also, the whole thing is absolutely real world meta as hell, hitting right in the heart of our modern society where we use technology to destroy each other.

So, let's see.

Excellent male MC with actual good ideals, also not dense.
Excellent female MC that is not actually tsundere, and actually wants to make sure about feelings.
Excellent secondary characters overall, all of them. Lassic best of all, badass, strong, loyal, and also a f-ing tank with armor. God I love those characters in anime.
Pretty good fantasy story overall.
Good animated fights with few CGI, and not crap CGI.
Perfect ending that doesn't leave you open like most anime.
The wedding is actually shown.
And there's an extra after scene (WITH DOUBLE RAINBOW!).

If I have to find a flaw, well, Marinne was too stubborn. But well, you have to put denseness somewhere with perfect MCs, lol.
And also, wtf that sex scene. That dude was also clearly filthy and disgusting, what the heck. I don't think Milza ever took a bath in his whole life. I mean, look at him. You can smell the reek of mud and rotten blood through the screen.
I chuckled when Marinne wore black at her wedding, I mean, yuck, she got herself soiled. Fortunately for her Alexis doesn't mind because she didn't love the other dude. Also no NTR because they weren't in a relationship yet at the time. Phew. I wouldn't have forgiven her tbh, but to each his own.

I have to give this show 10/10
Absolutely underrated gem, and got me hyped as fuck.
FullyChargedNov 24, 2019 3:39 PM
bruh
Dec 31, 2019 4:25 PM
Aug 2018
Late to the game but just finished it and I loved it! Sure there were flaws but I felt like this anime’s end was very conclusive. It was bittersweet and overall a nice ending. Btw, so what was the ending from the light novel? Who ended up with who? Who died? Anyone got a summary?!

And now I’m looking for a similar anime. Please send recs my way! :)
Jan 12, 2020 1:26 AM

Jun 2009
I wish Marrine was punished and executed. Her redemption is just a spit in the face to all the other characters that perished.
This series did a good job trying to condense so many volumes in just 24 episodes. I wish it had more episodes to properly show everything.
I was sad to see Marrine still wearing black tho lmao. Rip kitty.
Jan 12, 2020 10:55 PM
Jul 2019
Marrine is officialy one of the worst monsters and war criminals to get away with mass horrors of every kind in fiction. Even Souther's ending looks deserving and fair compared to her, she's the ultimate Karma Houdini. If Mussolini got away with his war crimes because he said he was sad and wanted to marry it wouldnt be as bad as if this character existed in real life
Mar 29, 2020 2:03 AM

Oct 2019
Nice finale, happy end for everyone. I kinda expect there'll be.. Dark Lord or at least a demons like few previous eps as final boss, but instead we get sir vampire dude. Lassic team against Cyclop probably my most favorite battle on this show. Did Pandora foresee Nuclear War in far future that the earth explode?

Fun watch, there isn't any character that I dislike, but somehow lack excitement for my taste. 7/10.
Apr 17, 2020 7:27 PM

Apr 2015
Marrine single-handedly ruined the show from the start,
that aside, it was some-what decent ending.
Jul 20, 2020 2:14 AM

Aug 2012
A underrated gem I would say but the pacing of the study is definitely questionable. The animation was really good until the last few episodes. All the characters are definitely likeable.

Quite a lot of plot hole haven't be filled. I don't know why suddenly Priscilla became a major character is the last few ep.

At least there is a finale instead of thousand of unfinished novel adapted anime.

I would give a 7/10.
Nov 14, 2020 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
I'm surprised to see such low ratings and hate for the show. I thought it was absolutely amazing.
Mar 18, 2021 3:05 PM

Sep 2012
TEWG said:
I wish Marrine was punished and executed. Her redemption is just a spit in the face to all the other characters that perished.
This series did a good job trying to condense so many volumes in just 24 episodes. I wish it had more episodes to properly show everything.
I was sad to see Marrine still wearing black tho lmao. Rip kitty.

if she would have just gotten off free OK can live with that but my issue is she actually got rewarded sins she became Empress sins he gave the throne to Alexi and Alexi was married to her making her empress like WTF, and i don't hate her and it didn't ruin the series for me just pointing out the most ridiculous part of it
Sugram22Mar 19, 2021 1:29 AM
Apr 12, 2021 7:20 AM
Apr 2020
Atleast this anime had an beautiful ending...

I had a mixed feeling on this series, both postive and negative ones.

Postive - The first part is really bad but eventually got better on the 2nd half. I have no problems regarding on the overall animation. And the way they end it too. It's truly satisfying.

Negative - this anime got totally wrecked cuz they skip the really important ones. Because of that, the anime bored and really confused me because of the amount of plot holes that are present. And also because of the skipped part that I didn't get even manage on how the characters, especially Theo, got improved. And also their motives on why is he/she helping on this side, what is his/her past, what is his/her relationship with his/her family etc etc....

This anime had so much potential.. really disappointing... Well atleast it's still fun to watch and I'm okay with that ending. 7/10 but with the ending, final 8/10.
Jul 2, 2021 2:46 AM
Sep 2020
I watched this over two days. It hooked me from ep1. Thought it was really great and had many moving parts. The dub is fantastic and it makes it easier to follow the subplots. Gotta pay attention to thus one as so much info is given its easy to get lost. Takes almost the while season to put the world together and all the lords.

Unlike many anime of its ilk it ends, and on a happy note but there is this underlying feeling that peace won't last. They said for a time which alludes that the end does come. I wish we got 6 more episodes, hell even a sequel or spinoff like railgun and Sao did.

It was a treat. So much fan service but it was all good I loved it. The Queen and her mage getting nude just to inspire the troops? Sign me the frak up.

I gave it an 8 bc it's not flawless but damn it's a fun ride. Now to find another show like it. This is the main gripe when watching anime, to find another the tops the last one.
Oct 11, 2021 10:03 AM
Aug 2019
1) Did the werewolves die as age of cosmos begins ?
2) Why does the anime try to show that mc is a good hearted char. ?
Oct 11, 2021 5:16 PM

Feb 2009
vampire plot is silly and really unnecessary. Could've really done without it, even if it meant no wolf girls.

I'm glad the MC didn't forget his original goal and he got his happy ending, but Massacrerinne/Alexis becoming rulers are also a pretty silly outcome, should've given it to Lassic tbh. It undermines almost the entirety of the show.

Pandora is quite literally AI trying to rule over humans...Also, there were supposed to be plenty of agents, at least enough to massacre the mages under the Lords, but the confrontation with the mages was pretty much just Cyclops, a monster they introduced last minute, and vampire...
Oct 20, 2021 8:55 AM

May 2021
It's really over, but i still hate marrine.

9/10
Aug 10, 2022 8:24 AM
Dec 2021
greatanime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 30, 2022 2:11 AM

Sep 2018
That was pretty damn enjoyable in the end, especially after a shaky start of sorts. I still think this is slightly in the territory of missed potential, they could have done so much more in maybe 50 or so episodes and not brisk through things so damn quickly at times, but it is what it is. Politically confusing somewhat early on, cause of the sheer scale and lack of context and exposition, but you learn as the series goes on. This anime also has to have the most large scale battles I've seen in two-cour series lol, not stop action there. I thought the characters were brilliant for the most part, idealistic, nuanced and an overall maturity I just wasn't expecting when going into this blind. 8/10 overall.
Oct 6, 2023 9:58 AM
Aug 2023
I think that anime should finish without mage rebellion. It will be better to end it,when Marine surreneder,but it was still good.
Oct 6, 2023 10:00 AM
Aug 2023
I think that anime should finish without mage rebellion. It will be better to end it,when Marine surreneder,but it was still good.
Jan 10, 7:05 AM
Nov 2022
a beautiful and perfect ending to this magnificent work
Jan 29, 5:15 AM
Aug 2023
i loved this anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2018

489 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

146 by Leniam »»
Feb 27, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

61 by nick_el_son »»
Feb 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 22 Discussion

Icedout15 - Oct 25, 2018

5 by phantom346 »»
Feb 3, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2018

69 by phantom346 »»
Jan 16, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.