Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Yakusoku no Neverland' Gets TV Anime

New
May 27, 2018 8:12 AM

Nov 2007
This year's 26th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump magazine has announced that Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu's Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) manga will get a TV anime. The anime is slated for next winter via Fuji TV's noitaminA timeslot.

Synopsis
At Grace Field House, life couldn't be better for the orphans! Though they have no parents, together with the other kids and a kind "Mama" who cares for them, they form one big, happy family. No child is ever overlooked, especially since they are all adopted by the age of 12. Their daily lives involve rigorous tests, but afterwards, they are allowed to play outside.

There is only one rule they must obey: do not leave the orphanage. But one day, two top-scoring orphans, Emma and Norman, venture past the gate and unearth the horrifying reality behind their entire existence: they are all livestock, and their orphanage is a farm to cultivate food for a mysterious race of demons. With only a few months left to pull off an escape plan, the children must somehow change their predetermined fate. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

The fantasy thriller manga began serialization in Weekly Shounen Jump magazine in August 2016, and has eight volumes in print as of April 4. Shueisha plans to publish the ninth volume along with the Yakusoku no Neverland: Norman kara no Tegami novel on June 4. In a recent interview with Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web news website, the supervising editor of the manga mentioned that the series has reached its "turning point." Yakusoku no Neverland has a cumulative 4.2 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

VIZ Media published the first three chapters of the manga in English simultaneously with the Japanese release as a part its Jump Start initiative, and has since been serializing the series in their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. The third volume went on sale on April 3, with the fourth volume planned for a June 5 release. The manga has also been published in multiple foreign languages.

Yakusoku no Neverland was nominated consecutively in the 10th and 11th editions of the annual Manga Taisho award, as well as the 22nd Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, and won the 63rd Shogakukan manga award for shounen manga this past January. The series also placed first in male readers category in the 2018 Kono Manga ga Sugoi rankings last December.

PV

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Official site: http://neverland-anime.com/

Source: Comic Natalie

Yakusoku no Neverland on MAL
Sakana-sanMay 27, 2018 3:27 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2018 8:14 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
RIP Madhouse, White Fox, Bones
May 27, 2018 8:20 AM

Apr 2015
  • Fantastic news. ~
  • I can't wait to watch this.
May 27, 2018 8:24 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Not even a real PV yet? Just the manga trailer.

Heard about this like a week ago. Madhouse should've stole this but I won't be negative until I see a real trailer.
May 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Dec 2015
We all saw it coming. Glad it's confirmed.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Apr 2016
And it has been approved here on MAL even before this news.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37779/Yakusoku_no_Neverland

Sigh

Wish other series got the same treatment ...
May 27, 2018 8:29 AM
May 2018
which anime studio will make this anime ? i hope it will be good :DD
May 27, 2018 8:30 AM

Nov 2016
Winter 19 anime of the season is already set in stone.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 27, 2018 8:34 AM

Jun 2017
blubgabriel said:
which anime studio will make this anime ? i hope it will be good :DD

The rumors say CloverWorks, the one that are doing DarliFra..

(Mixed feelings but looking at DarliFra the animation will be dope)
May 27, 2018 8:37 AM

Oct 2015
Hype! I don't care what anyone says, A-1 Cloverworks is very capable and I'm sure this one will turn out great as well.
May 27, 2018 8:42 AM

Feb 2018
Maybe that PV is just manga panel with narration, VA sound and background music. But i really like that BGM/OST, just hear that i can feel the tension from the manga. Rumors said it will be CloverWorks (A-1 Pictures' subsidiary), never doubted them in term of art and animation. but please make this anime with good direction and storyboard that can deliver tension and mind games from this series.

If that is just 1 cour, it will adapt just first arc but i have no problem with that. Because first arc of this series was really good. Of course it will be aired at noitaminA time slot (00.45 JST), because for shonen genre, this series is too dark, even for shonen jump itself.
gadboyzMay 27, 2018 8:49 AM
May 27, 2018 8:48 AM

Jun 2017
ade-pewe said:
Maybe that PV is just manga panel with narration, VA sound and background music. But i really like that BGM/OST, just hear that i can feel the tension from the manga. Rumors said it will be CloverWorks (A-1 Pictures' subsidiary), never doubted them in term of art and animation. but please make this anime with good direction and storyboard that can deliver tension and mind games from this series.

If that is just 1 cour, it will adapt just first arc but i have no problem with that. Because first arc of this series was really good

Well that's up to the Director and the Series composer..

And 12 episodes is JUST fine if they do it properly (like AOT)

Not just waiting far a news about Tate no Yuusha..
May 27, 2018 8:59 AM

Aug 2015
Well it was inevitable considering how popular and good this series is also it was already rumored that this series will get anime adaptation months ago.

Now,lets see whether the anime adaption do justice to the manga or not
May 27, 2018 9:00 AM

Feb 2018
Deku6339 said:
ade-pewe said:

If that is just 1 cour, it will adapt just first arc but i have no problem with that. Because first arc of this series was really good

I didn't know if A-1 Pictures had ever made psychological/thriller anime, that's why i still hope Madhouse/White Fox grab this project.
May 27, 2018 9:01 AM

Sep 2017
ade-pewe said:
Deku6339 said:

I didn't know if A-1 Pictures had ever made psychological/thriller anime, that's why i still hope Madhouse/White Fox grab this project.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori?q=shinsek
yeah, they definitely haven't...
Edward Elric > your waifu

May 27, 2018 9:02 AM

Jun 2017
ade-pewe said:
Deku6339 said:

Erased is a psychological/thriller anime I think.
May 27, 2018 9:12 AM

Jun 2008
That's good news! I was just waiting for this announcement.
May 27, 2018 9:12 AM
Apr 2016
Emma's voice sounds like Morohoshi Sumire (Hinami from TG, Mako from Ballroom, Kyouka from Bungou), and I think I hear.... Ise Mariya (Killua and Reg from Made in Abyss) as... Ray? This is hype.
May 27, 2018 9:30 AM

Feb 2014
Yaaay yaaaay ( ◠‿◠ )
May 27, 2018 9:31 AM

Sep 2009
I screamed after watching that preview!!! I’m so excited!
May 27, 2018 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
Antagonized said:
I would've actually preferred Wit, but it's fine anyway if the rumor is true about Ishiguro directing.
May 27, 2018 9:44 AM

Feb 2015
THERE IT IS~ THERE IT IS!! THERE IT IS!!! YESSSSSSSS
May 27, 2018 9:49 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I swear I heard Mariya Ise in the PV. Is she doing Ray?! I hope to god she is.
May 27, 2018 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
heard so much good things about this manga

plz no half assed 1 cour adaptation
May 27, 2018 9:57 AM

Feb 2013
ade-pewe said:
Deku6339 said:

It's not going to be made by internal staff as always but freelancer so no problem. The staff is outside of A-1 as many other studio and here it's going to be the same with them contracted by the companies in the committee

Either way, the studio isn't that important except in some cases like Kyoani
May 27, 2018 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
Given that it airs on Noitamina, it's most likely going to be either 11 episodes or 22. Hopefully the latter.

I'm really glad this is getting an anime.
May 27, 2018 10:05 AM

Jun 2015
Spectro889 said:
MozillaFennekin said:
I would've actually preferred Wit, but it's fine anyway if the rumor is true about Ishiguro directing.

It isn't true, Ishiguro debunked the rumour on Twitter on Tuesday.
well i'm annoyed now
May 27, 2018 10:08 AM

Apr 2014
HOLY BALLS. This was much quicker than I expected. Easily my most anticipated anime. can't wait so see how this is done
May 27, 2018 10:26 AM

Feb 2018
caio_ken said:
ade-pewe said:

It's not going to be made by internal staff as always but freelancer so no problem. The staff is outside of A-1 as many other studio and here it's going to be the same with them contracted by the companies in the committee

Either way, the studio isn't that important except in some cases like Kyoani

same case like OPM that had a lot of freelancer? so i hope they take right person to the animation staff
May 27, 2018 10:28 AM

Feb 2018
tragedydesu said:
heard so much good things about this manga

plz no half assed 1 cour adaptation

But currenct arc isn't concluded yet. so i think it will be 1 cour and adapt just first arc
May 27, 2018 10:29 AM

Feb 2011
Stop it with the Madhouse meme, seriously. The studio isn't what it used to be and the titles they're putting out aren't consistent, not to mention they use a lot of freelancers.
So as long as they bring some talent into the project and succeed in capturing the dark atmosphere of the manga it will be a good adaptation regardless of the studio that's working on it.
May 27, 2018 10:41 AM

Nov 2007
The Cloverworks News Is FAKE.

It has been already confirmed to be fake in another thread here in MAL with credible links so don't go relying on that fake news until it's confirmed.

As for the news of adaptation, it was already confirmed but glad to see the news here in MAL. I hope they have great staff working on it because deary me, if this is done right, I kid you not, this could really become HUUUUGE!

I hope they do this manga justice. Freaken' cliffhanger one after another will leave the fans on the edge of their seats week-in week-out. And I am almost certain they cannot stop at 11 episodes. This will need at least 22-23 episodes (common for 2 cour Noitamina block) to conclude the first arc.

But I would really suggest anime-only viewers to be extremely careful while following MAL episode discussion threads because we have dumb and obnoxious MAL users who cannot hold their stupid keyboards back and not spoil what is to come in future episodes. Especially in the case of popular manga/novel adaptations like this one. They cannot freakin' read this:

"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."

attached in the first post of every episode discussion thread.

MAL rules should be really strict when it comes to this and ban users for violating this.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 27, 2018 10:47 AM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:

This will need at least 22-23 episodes (common for 2 cour Noitamina block) to conclude the first arc.

Absolutely 0% chance first arc is more than 15 episodes, with how slow it would turn out. There is a good spot to end later on, if they wanna do the 22 episode route.
(x෴x)
May 27, 2018 10:48 AM

Sep 2009
shanimebib said:

It has been already confirmed to be fake in another thread here in MAL with credible links so don't go relying on that fake news until it's confirmed.

As for the news of adaptation, it was already confirmed but glad to see the news here in MAL. I hope they have great staff working on it because deary me, if this is done right, I kid you not, this could really become HUUUUGE!

I hope they do this manga justice. Freaken' cliffhanger one after another will leave the fans on the edge of their seats week-in week-out. And I am almost certain they cannot stop at 11 episodes. This will need at least 22-23 episodes (common for 2 cour Noitamina block) to conclude the first arc.

But I would really suggest anime-only viewers to be extremely careful while following MAL episode discussion threads because we have dumb and obnoxious MAL users who cannot hold their stupid keyboards back and not spoil what is to come in future episodes. Especially in the case of popular manga/novel adaptations like this one. They cannot freakin' read this:

"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."

attached in the first post of every episode discussion thread.

MAL rules should be really strict when it comes to this and ban users for violating this.

Actually, the CloverWorks as a studio is the only thing that turned to be NOT fake. It is the other rumored staff that turned fake.
May 27, 2018 10:57 AM

Nov 2007
ezutes said:
shanimebib said:

This will need at least 22-23 episodes (common for 2 cour Noitamina block) to conclude the first arc.

Absolutely 0% chance first arc is more than 15 episodes, with how slow it would turn out. There is a good spot to end later on, if they wanna do the 22 episode route.

No. It won't be. Unless you want to see slideshow like Shingeki no Kyojin. The first arc has a lot of continuous monologues which is why I cannot see them adapting 3 chapters in one episode. It can be said for the latter chapters but not for the first arc. 11 episodes will ruin it because the excitement of the manga is in the monologues and not the actual dialogues in this manga.

Good direction, background music that creates an atmosphere of suspense and appropriate use of expressions and gestures of the characters can bring the best out of the grimness of the story. It's not an action manga so you cannot apply page numbers thumb rule here.

Nachtwandler_21 said:
Actually, the CloverWorks as a studio is the only thing that turned to be NOT fake. It is the other rumored staff that turned fake.

Then it's basically 50% doomed. Now we have 50-50 chance that this will be good. I don't trust A1 for anything but slice of life.
Coronavirus.
May 27, 2018 11:01 AM

Jun 2014
Well it was only a matter of time. I suppose it's about time I get back into the manga. I read the first 3 chapters before falling off of it.

Hopefully a good studio and staff picks this up. Pierrot, back the FUCK off.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 27, 2018 11:07 AM

Jun 2014
ezutes said:
shanimebib said:

No. It won't be. Unless you want to see slideshow like Shingeki no Kyojin. The first arc has a lot of continuous monologues which is why I cannot see them adapting 3 chapters in one episode. It can be said for the latter chapters but not for the first arc. 11 episodes will ruin it because the excitement of the manga is in the monologues and not the actual dialogues in this manga.

Good direction, background music that creates an atmosphere of suspense and appropriate use of expressions and gestures of the characters can bring the best out of the grimness of the story. It's not an action manga so you cannot apply page numbers thumb rule here.

I'm going to come back here and laugh at you.
(x෴x)
May 27, 2018 11:07 AM

Nov 2007
Nachtwandler_21 said:

Actually, I just went on and read it more in details. It's NOT confirmed by any means that CloverWorks will be behind it. Not confirmed to be fake =/= not fake. It's still a rumour.
Coronavirus.
May 27, 2018 11:19 AM

Feb 2011
shanimebib said:

I believe 11 episodes for 37 chapters is a reasonable number, any more than 1 cour for the 1st arc and it would feel rather dragged out and annoying.
May 27, 2018 11:19 AM

Oct 2015
Nice, if done well this should be hella good.

Also reminds me to catch up to the manga
May 27, 2018 11:45 AM

Apr 2018
Madhouse is making a an adaptation of a smartphone game rather than doing an adaptation to this how sad
That smartphone game better be worth it
May 27, 2018 11:49 AM

Apr 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Stop it with the Madhouse meme, seriously. The studio isn't what it used to be and the titles they're putting out aren't consistent, not to mention they use a lot of freelancers.
So as long as they bring some talent into the project and succeed in capturing the dark atmosphere of the manga it will be a good adaptation regardless of the studio that's working on it.

Lol what do u mean ?
Their latest anime were great
A place further than the universe was fantastic
And no game no life 0 was great
May 27, 2018 11:55 AM

Sep 2013
A1 will get it, I hope it's 2 cour for the first arc.
May 27, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2013
Woah, Emma's seiyuu really suits her!! I hope they make a good adaption \o/
May 27, 2018 12:04 PM

Feb 2011
Akerakai said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Lol what do u mean ?

How about Hanayamata, Overlord, All Out!, Prince of Stride: Alternative, Mahou Sensou. You bring up those titles because they aren't as forgettable as the ones I just mentioned but make no mistake, they produce equally as much average shows as they produce good shows, while everyone acts like Madhouse is god on earth. That's my point.
May 27, 2018 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
this is great news if only Cloverworks working on this anime rumor is truly false.
May 27, 2018 12:14 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Akerakai said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Lol what do u mean ?
Not consistent doesnt mean that everything they do is shit now, just that they can be a mixed bag too.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 27, 2018 12:20 PM

Nov 2007
I wonder which of the three will be the most favourite character in MAL from Neverland when it starts airing.

My bet is on Norman. I kind of feel like he will also become one of the Top 100 Favourite characters in MAL overall very easily. Characters like him are very rare who are extremely intelligent, demand respect and truly likeable. There is an allure about his character that makes him a worthy protagonist.

But it will depend on how they adapt it. The adaptation better not let Norman down.
Coronavirus.
May 27, 2018 12:45 PM

Oct 2017
MozillaFennekin said:
Antagonized said:

They already got a lot on their plate for a small studio.

Anyway now I have to get around to reading the manga the first 3 volumes are just sitting on my shelf lol.

SkyDrop said:
this is great news if only Cloverworks working on this anime rumor is truly false.

Why? even if you dislike Frankxx its not the like animation for it is bad not to mention isn't an adaptation more dependent on who they bring on as a director rather than just the studio itself.
BilboBaggins365May 27, 2018 12:49 PM
May 27, 2018 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
Well to be FAIR.

I dropped the manga because of the way it was handling itself wasn't my cup of tea, plus I don't think I can read these types of series with the tags.

However if the staff is solid and the series handles itself in anime format then I don't mind. I do hope they can at least fix a lot of the problems I had already with the source given the situation of the setup towards the plot point felt rather awkward and not only that, in a way rather overdone.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.