Forum Settings
Forums

Account Freeze/Password Reset & Broken Applications

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 26, 2018 6:38 PM
Nov 2016
cpc2 said:
Thank you for this post. At this point I thought there wouldn't be any official post about this issue. With the lack of communication and the rumors I've seen I was afraid the MAL staff might have wanted to intentionally take down the API to favor the official app. But I see that's not the case, I guess it's probably an issue of DeNA being a bit out of touch with the community. Let's hope all this is solved eventually and the new API is released soon!

I also thought this was the problem, glad to see that isn't the case :)
May 26, 2018 6:39 PM
Feb 2018
My only wish was that some sort of warning was given to at least the staff in preparation, which i know from how these things work, highly unlikely.

However if api is to be remade, im hoping it could be finished very soon and i hope the best of luck
May 26, 2018 6:41 PM

Aug 2013
I hope API will be fixed soon ;w;
May 26, 2018 7:08 PM
Aug 2015
denpanosekai said:
TentacleMaster said:
@Xinil, What was the reason for de-listing the official android mal app as that was working. For users who currently have it installed there was no issues with it but I guess it was using the new API. Will that be reinstated or will it be later on when new API releases?

I guess even the official app went through the same API as 3rd party apps so it must be broken too.

I have the official app on my phone and after a forced password change it works normally even though my MALclient does not.
May 26, 2018 7:11 PM
Jan 2017
From a purely infosec point of view, it's actually been handled kinda well. IE: As soon as an issue concerning passwords potentially being leaked is discovered, reset all account passwords, shut off access to the part that causes the insecurity, send emails to everyone etc etc. It's much better than trying to hide it or even locking all accounts until it's all fixed.
Even the message itself was decent: Advice like "don't use the same password on other sites", what's happening with "[the API] has been made temporarily inavailable" etc etc

Sure it sucks, yeah. Should DeNA probably have released a statement of their own? Yeah definitely. Is what they've done better than 90% of other websites and good enough for the average MAL user? Yep. Is there much else they could have done regarding the API freeze at this stage? Nope, and to think otherwise is to say "I want my password to be stolen".
May 26, 2018 7:26 PM

Dec 2017
worrying about being hacked? multi-factor auth? jeez, weebs sure are scared to lose access to some list with titles in it
May 26, 2018 7:31 PM
Dec 2016
This post explains my two questions.
1. Why did MyAnimeList requested me to change my account password?
2. Why did MyAniList on iOS have not yet connected into MAL?

This situation a bit confusing, at least for me as a new user here in MAL.
But now, I learned that the Moderators are working hard to clarify all these things for the community.

Thank you Mods and all the Devs that support MAL! Free hugs for everyone!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english ._.
Idk why I spend so much time in writing such irrelevant replies ._.
May 26, 2018 7:33 PM

Feb 2013
Wait....something is broken/disabled again?

Does....does that mean....can I?...should I?
May 26, 2018 7:37 PM

Jun 2014
denpanosekai said:
TentacleMaster said:
@Xinil, What was the reason for de-listing the official android mal app as that was working. For users who currently have it installed there was no issues with it but I guess it was using the new API. Will that be reinstated or will it be later on when new API releases?

I guess even the official app went through the same API as 3rd party apps so it must be broken too.
The official app works, I checked it out as I had it installed before they de-listed it.
May 26, 2018 7:38 PM
Mar 2014
Didn't expect a response like this. Thanks
May 26, 2018 7:47 PM

Dec 2013
I may have sent DeNA a mini essay on my disappointment due to their lack of communication and lack of details on everything that's been going on.
As a daily user and former staff member, I would absolutely hate to see this website go down due to poor communication and questionable decisions.

I've seen many people in Facebook groups over the last couple days say they're going to stop using MAL due to the applications being disabled and no ETA on when they'll be back. This website relies on users coming back regularly. To have such minimum communication on something so major seems like a poor decision.
If there were a "vulnerability in the API" I think the users deserve to know what this "vulnerability " was as our information could have been possibly compromised. Just saying there is a vulnerability tells us close to nothing.

Thank you @Kineta and @Xinil for communicating with us as much as you can and as fast as you could since DeNA didn't make a statement even after two full days. Having this bit of clarification is extremely appreciated.
The lack of communication from DeNA really shines here. I really hope it improves from this point forward.
KatsuraMay 26, 2018 8:33 PM
May 26, 2018 7:51 PM

Feb 2016
Thanks for filling us in when they failed to do so.

Hopefully this is all resolved and settled sooner than later...

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
May 26, 2018 7:53 PM

Feb 2010
NTAD said:
Wait....something is broken/disabled again?

Does....does that mean....can I?...should I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLxrojmvMg
May 26, 2018 8:16 PM
Aug 2017
I have this feeling that the next mod post will tell us that Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia and always been allied with Eastasia..... and everyone will be like yes mods you're right nothing has been done wrong, I can't ever remember a time when Oceania was at war with Eastasia and allied with Eurasia
May 26, 2018 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
The lack of communication has made me decide to to move to another service and the fact they can't even maintain an API makes me think the probability that they can even detect a data leak is nearly 0. It seems to me the owners woke up after GDPR got into effect and realised their API was insecure as f****. I moved to a service that at least knows what oauth2 & JSON is. The probability of me filling a request to be forgotten by this service is very likely.
removed-userMay 26, 2018 8:20 PM
May 26, 2018 8:30 PM
May 2016
I had been changed my password, when i going login, it's time i have reset password by clicking "forgot your password?".

I just changed it today. to make strong password.
May 26, 2018 8:51 PM
Mar 2016
Password updated, 28 characters is enough??
May 26, 2018 8:56 PM

Sep 2016
SylakentH said:
Thanks @Xinil and @Kineta (and of course all moderators) for keeping us informed. It just straight out sucks to be left out in the dark, it feels like DeNA doesn't care about the community

+1
Yes, it was frustrating, and still is. I only use one 3rd-party app (MALgraph) and it's annoying it doesn't work now, I can only imagine what it's like for those that use several.
It sucks that the Mods are catching much of the crap over this and it isn't even their fault.
Middle-management is not easy, especially when people at the top remain silent when issues like this arise.

Here's hoping Owners step up and start acting like they care.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

May 26, 2018 8:59 PM

May 2016
I do not really think about it, as long as this can make the myanimelist even better
May 26, 2018 9:50 PM
Feb 2017
Pocket MAL 😥😥😥😥
May 26, 2018 9:56 PM
Apr 2014
why not allow users to download their account information as a backup like on facebook etc?
May 26, 2018 10:01 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
Accelerator10 said:
why not allow users to download their account information as a backup like on facebook etc?

If you mean saving what's in your list, you can export them into an .xml file by opening your list and clicking Export in the sidebar. You can then import it back in by going here: https://myanimelist.net/import.php.
May 26, 2018 10:11 PM
Apr 2014
Shymander said:
Accelerator10 said:

If you mean saving what's in your list, you can export them into an .xml file by opening your list and clicking Export in the sidebar. You can then import it back in by going here: https://myanimelist.net/import.php.

wow I didn't about that, Thanks :)
May 26, 2018 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
SylakentH said:
Thanks @Xinil and @Kineta (and of course all moderators) for keeping us informed. It just straight out sucks to be left out in the dark, it feels like DeNA doesn't care about the community

Of course they don't. They're a business. They are completely out of touch with the community. They don't care about third party app developers, they only care about covering their ass in light of the security vulnerabilities. I'm sure they are just going to kill the API entirely instead of trying to fix it. The lack of communication shows they truly do no care.

I've seen many fan made sites like this one that got big, the original creator sells out to a company, and then the site goes to shit. I know this was going to happen the moment DeNA bought MAL. I hope this causes more attention for smaller sites like AniList that also have an API. I hope those third party app developers switch sites over there and we can get some quality apps for them.
May 26, 2018 10:33 PM

Apr 2012
Are there actually moderators still on the site? The manga database has stagnated for months and the site never seems to try improving anymore regarding policies or amount of information in the databases. :(
May 26, 2018 10:40 PM
Jan 2015
Kineta said:

The red box on the website said that a "vulnerability in the API" is being worked on.

Yeah, if by vulnerability you mean "we need more ad views on our pages" then I'm sure this all makes sense.
May 26, 2018 10:46 PM

Oct 2017
I Want to ask, Do MyAnimeList had An Official Github Repo?
If it's exist then, Give me the link, Maybe i can help something?
>\/<
May 26, 2018 11:02 PM

Mar 2012
StormSky92 said:
I know this was going to happen the moment DeNA bought MAL.

I dunno what is worse though, the neglect from CraveOnline or this mess from DeNA.

BioZap43 said:
I Want to ask, Do MyAnimeList had An Official Github Repo?
If it's exist then, Give me the link, Maybe i can help something?
>/<

They had some stuff semi-public with the new API they were working on, but that's now closed. The actual website code has always been closed and they even turned down offers from others, including me, to help with the code. I doubt DeNA is going to suddenly open things up after what happened currently.
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
May 26, 2018 11:04 PM
Feb 2017
I can sympathize with how rough this can be for you all, and I want you to understand that everything you do is appreciated. Thanks for the eventual communication and I wish you the best of luck with your next few weeks or months.
May 26, 2018 11:05 PM

May 2016
About time!

I am not pleased with how the team handled the situation and this post was long overdue. It was unwise trying to wait for DeNA to come out with an official statement, when the staff should have gone into a damage control mode (i.e. make an unofficial statement or equivalent) instead of keeping us (the users) in the dark over the past few days. Whatever excuse you may come up with is unacceptable.

For someone who watches more than 30+ shows in a season, the need to manage such massive list is crucial and API are akin to the main Pillars of support. With the indefinite suspension of MAL API support + the website's cluttered & aging interface, I don't have much choice but to look elsewhere. The painstaking effort to manually update my list by going through each individual shows are not worth the time.

I'm calling it a day; going to cancel my MAL Supporter Sub next month and migrate to AniList. Initially when I enrolled with the program, my intention was to see MAL improve overtime but what they did 3 days ago was the opposite.

Though AniList lacks in features compared to MAL, the API support is superb and I love the minimalist look of the web. Still getting the hang of it but I'm positive they will get better overtime.

Nonetheless, thank you MAL for the amazing few years (though I joined the party late). It was thanks to MAL that I took my anime viewing-ship & interest to another level. However, the event that transpired in the past few days was truly unfortunate.

Maybe I'll reconsider returning to MAL in the future if the new API EVER gets released, since MAL still holds a special place in my heart.
GokuNazzMay 26, 2018 11:16 PM
May 26, 2018 11:24 PM

Sep 2017
Man, I was wondering what all those restarts on my account and all were. Luckily, I sorted it out. Not once have I felt like it was MAL's fault for this.

To the mods

It is really messed up and unbelievable that DeNA has not released a statement or done anything to help you guys. That is really bad customer service and unprofessional right there. As someone who is majoring in Communication Studies in college, yeah that is really messed up.

Thank you dear moderators for doing your best to keep us in touch with what's going and all. (*gives the MAL staff milk and cookies).

To the customers of MyAnimeList

For those of you who have been respectful to the mods during this time, thank you. To those of you who have been sending angry e-mails, stop it! You do have the right to be upset about this, but it's not always the moderator's fault that things happen. These kind of things happen all the time. It's how we keep getting back up and work towards fixing the problem that count.

I'm sorry for everyone who had to go through this.

Well, that just about sums up my thoughts here.
May 27, 2018 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
Hope the issue is resolved soon, you’re all working so hard to fix this.
May 27, 2018 12:42 AM
Apr 2014
SylakentH said:

I totally agree. DeNa doesn't care about us, they only have dollars in their eyes (or maybe yens). I really appreciate the effort of the moderation team.

The good side of this situation is that DeNa's office must be like hell right now, with a non-stopping stream of user complaints. I bet they will lose some workers because of the stressful situation they are going through. I hope they learn from this and the next time they handle better the situation
May 27, 2018 12:46 AM

Dec 2015
My account still works with-out having done anything since it's email log-in. Do I just leave it as is?
~
May 27, 2018 12:53 AM

Mar 2012
Prim3 said:
My account still works with-out having done anything since it's email log-in. Do I just leave it as is?

If you're logging in with the Twitter, Facebook, or Google options then you are fine. If you use a username/password, then you should change your password. It's a good idea to do so at least once a year anyway.
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
May 27, 2018 12:58 AM
Dec 2017
kitsune0 said:
New API? Which will not be there in, knowing how MAL/DeNa works, at least about half a year? Why I feel like it's a soft approach to get rid of all of this "pesky" 3rd-party applications/sites to get back their oh so precious clicks/visits/views?..

That’s true, that’s why it’s so important situations like these are handled well from a profit perspective because if there not people grow (rightfully) cynical about the whole thing and start to look for another service, I almost guarantee that the amount of money lost on these 3rd party apps is nothing compared to the amount that will be lost from people moving to another service, after all people who used 3rd party apps would probably visit the site anyway, those who use alternative sites probably won’t, assuming that is at all their motive, which I personally don’t think it is
May 27, 2018 1:11 AM
Feb 2018
lordscales91 said:

The good side of this situation is that DeNa's office must be like hell right now, with a non-stopping stream of user complaints. I bet they will lose some workers because of the stressful situation they are going through. I hope they learn from this and the next time they handle better the situation

So you really think? With only the support button, that's not going to cause any stir. All people get thatway is a standardised copy/paste answer :

"Thank you for contacting MyAnimeList Support.

As shared on the website, we are currently working to address a vulnerability detected in the API. Due to this, users will not be able to log into their accounts via any third party application using the API. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but this is still under consideration.

Thank you for your kind understanding.
Kane"

It's probably handled with only 1 or 2 employees at it, if it's not fully automatised...

On the other hand, if you do want to cause a stor at DENA, you can reach them using the following forms:

Nephen said:
Alternatively, we also can all contact dena through these forms, to tell them what we think of this ;)

https://dena.com/intl/contact/jobseekers/
https://dena.com/intl/contact/investors/

Time to flood them a bit :D

May 27, 2018 1:12 AM

Jan 2012
Thank you for the updated information.

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
May 27, 2018 1:18 AM

Jun 2010
I do hope this problem will be fixed asap. I really prefer to update my list with an app on my phone, rather than being online on the site. Anw, does MAL have an official mobile app? Im looking forward for it.
Anyway, if there's no chance of winning, let's go out making fun of it! ~ Adult Suit (One Ok Rock)
May 27, 2018 1:20 AM
May 2015
Kitsu still works, not sure what they do differently but you can still link you MAL account and it will update your list.
May 27, 2018 1:21 AM
Dec 2017
I'll be honest requiring users to change a password isn't a bad thing in my opinion, many users neglect that

But removing the 3rd party API? thats awful, especially on mobile, to be honest the mobile web version of MAL is awful, the method to update episodes is awful on mobile, so using an unofficial client is the only option, I loved MAL for the ability to use apps on my phone to manage it

I love MAL but this makes it quite difficult for me to use, I'm not sure at the moment but looking for an alternative service and just using MAL for the social features may be my only option...

uninstallthegame said:
worrying about being hacked? multi-factor auth? jeez, weebs sure are scared to lose access to some list with titles in it

It's possible to access a users email from MAL, and many people use the same password for their email as they do on MAL, so if someone were to use a 3rd party app maliciously it'd be possible to gain access to a users email and then possibly some other services

dbzgohan said:
Kitsu still works, not sure what they do differently but you can still link you MAL account and it will update your list.

Thanks! You've saved me a whole lot of hassle, kitsu is a very nice site, they have a mobile app to, heres your temporary solution guys!

Mod Edit: Merged double posts
NoLiferSoulMay 27, 2018 4:57 PM
May 27, 2018 1:46 AM
May 2015
KyleDB said:
dbzgohan said:

Thanks! You've saved me a whole lot of hassle

Not a problem my dude, I was surprised myself when it worked xD
May 27, 2018 1:52 AM
Feb 2018
too little too late im afraid. i have moved to Anilist.
May 27, 2018 1:52 AM

Nov 2009
"We think your information is safe"
Great, how reassuring for MAL supporters... Frustration with the apps aside, how about peoples payment information? Should we be replacing our credit cards? Basically you're saying you don't know and don't know when you'll know? Great to know that the mods can't do anything and some mystery company owns the site. Was this malfunction due to the US change in privacy policies or was it a security breach?
May 27, 2018 2:16 AM
Dec 2017
Steeljackrabbit said:

I don't blame you there, switching to an alt service while the competition sorts themselves out is a good move, should encourage MAL to improve themselves, its good for competition, plus Anilist looks quite nice, lacks the social features of MAL but other than that...
May 27, 2018 2:21 AM
Feb 2018
KyleDB said:
Steeljackrabbit said:

I don't blame you there, switching to an alt service while the competition sorts themselves out is a good move, should encourage MAL to improve themselves, its good for competition, plus Anilist looks quite nice, lacks the social features of MAL but other than that...
to be quite frank. i could care less about the social aspect, im just some NEET who wants to selfishly watch my Chinese cartoons efficiently. i don't much trust the staff here now because of all the dead air.
May 27, 2018 2:27 AM
Oct 2015
I just saw the email so I changed my password. I'm unhappy with DeNa right now, because they didn't explain anything to the mods of this site. Thanks for being open with us and I hope it gets fixed soon.
May 27, 2018 2:46 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I am glad we could finally make an announcement! The last couple of days have been worrying to many users, so it's nice to get something out.

To be honest, when I saw the password reset, I thought it wouldn't be a big issue for the users (I was done in 2 minutes). If anything, after a bit of hassle, everything would be back to normal and because of my own mindset, I thought people wouldn't mind all that much. I tend to trust such things on various sites (though this was a bit aggressive...), because most of all, they want their buttocks covered so they wouldn't do anything to rock the boat unnecessarily. I suppose that's way too casual for many people though and probably way too trusting :'D However, I didn't realise how many people had missing/removed/forgotten emails, or problems with the e-mails MAL sent, or problems with MAL itself with "incorrect username/password" notices. I have been checking the threads and I could see how people were losing trust, especially when there was no solid explanation.

Adding the problems with the 3rd party apps on top of that, it only makes sense people would be angry. I've been reading various theories and I realised that couple of them I would have thought myself had I been a casual user, because they made sense (as a moderator, I just trust the system here more so I leave the conspiracy theories aside until solid proof). It honestly is a very sudden change and one that no one appreciates. I will miss my PocketMAL and most of all, I will miss MalGraph (I was working hard on my 2.500 completed manga achievement *sob*). It's a shame everyone was left in the dark, but most of all, the 3rd party developers. If I were them, I'd want to slap someone at least. So they definitely deserve a lot of cookies!

Part of my post is my appreciation for Kineta. For most people that don't know her she may seem like this faceless admin that may not care about the community as much as others and runs the site however she wants. However, she always tries her hardest and the past few days have taken a toll on her because she was really upset and worried. She always tries to help, although she also gets the more hate which is not surprising to anyone, I guess. I just wanted to put that out there, because I saw her frustration with all this stuff.

Now, I also read the posts in this thread and I kind of disagree with some. I am not quoting, because it's a pain to find the posts again, but the one thing that stuck on me was how someone expected the site to sink after MAL was sold to DeNA because it's not the first time an owner sells to a company and the company drives it to dust. Thing is, MAL was already sold to Crave yeaaars before DeNA, which is also a company and one that did almost absolutely nothing for MAL other than fix bugs months later and answer to users with the usual PR nonsense. I think MAL survived then just by the sheer effort of the MAL staff (I came along just one year before DeNA, so I'm not really talking about me, just in case someone thinks I'm boasting :P) who kept the site at a good standard. So, I want to believe that DeNA can't bring MAL down so fast. Despite their lack of touch with the community, I think they have done some interesting stuff to push MAL further along (like the seasonal page. It may seem obvious, but trust me, Crave would have never bothered.), but I also see that MAL's relationship with DeNA is sometimes "1 step forward, 2 steps backwards, 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards" with them. One can only hope that this will be a breaking point for them and things get better!

Of course my post isn't meant to just glorify MAL. Everyone who is fed up with it and/or had found better alternatives, they should do as they please. I just have a soft spot for MAL and I genuinely think it's great and so, I wanted to share my point of view. I only wish for the new API to come ASAP and finally move on to greater things.

PS: Though my plan will always be one; let's buy MAL ourselves, mwahahaha.
MaffyMay 27, 2018 2:49 AM
May 27, 2018 2:46 AM

Feb 2012
Thanks for the explanation and the heads up. Hopefully it all sorts itself up and works out in the end for go' ol' MAL.

May 27, 2018 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
Glad to see the staff explain what's going on, because I was afraid to loss my account or something and I had to reset my password 2 times. The only thing I miss is my layout list, is totally broken and the covers are out.

Thanks for your work. :-D
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
3 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by mushfik002 »»
Yesterday, 10:25 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.