Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2008 7:32 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reuental's disadvantages keep adding up. Troop morale is still shaky, Iserlohn won't cooperate by holding the Empire at bay, and two of his admirals look to defect. Although it looks like Reuental will be the one to fall, Mittermeyer better not lose heart because of close ties to his friend. He still has a wife to return to.

Even though she agrees with Julian, Karin is showing tsundere tendencies. Julian gave a wise decision in not siding with Reuental. He made sound arguments befitting of one in his position.
tainteddonutJun 5, 2008 8:21 PM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 5, 2008 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Reuentahl lives with honor.

I thought it was cool how Vice Admiral Murai was the messenger. Good memories.

I miss all these characters now that I've finished the whole show.

Even though Troop morale is shaky, Reuentahl's competence is in how he keeps them well disciplined.

I also like the conversation between Reuentahl and Mittermeyer. Their relationship touches my soul.
removed-userJun 5, 2008 7:42 PM
Aug 23, 2009 4:42 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Karin is tsundere in this episode. That made me laugh quite a bit....

Reuental is partially doing this for his own pride and partially to amend for Reinhard's boredom. In that aspect, he is closer to the role of Oberstein....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 28, 2009 2:09 AM

Nov 2008
Why did Poplan hide when he saw Murai? I don't remember what happened between them.

Nov 20, 2009 5:47 PM

Dec 2008
Murai was the stern older man who would keep Poplan's indiscrepancies in check as I recall, often with a pronounced throat clearing. I guess it's like a misbehaving school boy who's been given free reign suddenly gets a surprise visit from the teacher. :) I am aware of no actual serious dispute and assume Poplan sidling off was purely a comedic device, which is appropriate enough for the loveable rogue comic relief.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 20, 2009 4:13 PM

Jan 2008
Eh, all these 90-95 episodes i've been thinking about this ... what about the millions of soldiers etc that are going to die in this pointless war, just because of some peoples pride. I'd say Reuental etc are nothing more than dirt.
Comrades fighting between themselves, millions of wives, children and parents suffering for this, war trauma.

Feb 14, 2010 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
Katerose being tsundere...I figured as much when I first saw her, so seeing her acting that way didn't come as a surprise. What did suprise me was when Poplan ran the moment he saw Murai step down from his ship to deliver Reuenthal's proposal. It was exactly like a bad student running away from a teacher.

Julian refusing to side with Reuenthal was for the best, knowing that this fight was strictly between him and Reinhard. I'm interested to see what happens to Iserlohn as it becomes witness to Reuenthal and Reinhard's battle.

It's sad when Wolfgang failed to persuade Reinhard to talk things over with Reuenthal previously, it was even sadder when Muller failed to do so as well despite saving Reinhard's life. I just know it'll be painful to watch this battle between two best friends.
Jul 5, 2010 5:47 PM

Feb 2010
A lot of interesting dialogue in this episode..
It must be hard for Julian not to get involved in this opportunity, but it's probably the right thing to do. I wonder if the soldiers will be more supportive after a victory. The first battle will really decide very much.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2010 6:36 AM

Apr 2008
Reuenthal's development is really good and show he is full of contradictions, though
his self-loathing is waht really characterizes him.
The talk betwwen the twin stars was very moving as it showed how much they appreciate and esteem each other.
So sad that Reuenthal is kind of getting "mad" and don't accept Mittermeyer's offer. Once again, the latter shows how good of a man he is, by avoiding an attrition war in order for siblings or comrades from the Empire not to fight against each other. As compared with Lonhengramm or Reuenthal, he is at least an admiral that doesn't want to shed blood for nothing.
Nov 29, 2010 2:20 PM

Jan 2010
Q-Infinity said:
Reuentahl lives with honor.

Reuenthal is a...

I wonder if Mittermeyer will have enough strength to face him up...that's going to be the most emotional battle yet if so

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 8, 2011 1:51 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, the conversation between Reuental and Mittermeyer has to be my favorite scene in the whole series so far... So well written and executed... the emotions are so real! This is a conflict that has been silently brewing the entire series, I can't wait to see how this turns out!!
Jan 14, 2011 11:19 PM

May 2010
Julian ruined this episode, AGAIN.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 18, 2011 2:51 PM
Jul 2010
Incredible conversion between Reuenthal and Mittermeyer. Came at just the right time, too, since I've begun to lose a lot of respect for the plot.

Also,
Confucius said:
Feb 18, 2012 10:52 PM

Sep 2009
Confucius said:

Like you ruin the comments section?
=D
Feb 19, 2012 6:27 AM
Nov 2010
Reuenthal and Mittermeyer...;-;
I loved their conversation, it's so beautiful how they still trust each other and so sad to see them getting ready to fight their best friend. All those emotions :(
Feb 20, 2012 9:37 AM

Sep 2008
Sabinlerose said:
Confucius said:

=D

LOL!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 16, 2012 3:22 PM

Aug 2010
Sabinlerose said:
Confucius said:

=D

Haha
Apr 6, 2012 10:42 AM

Nov 2009
Confucius said:

He and his friends ruin every episode.

Kircheis is everywhere
May 28, 2012 5:51 PM

Feb 2012
This was the thirtieth or so episode that brought me to say, "that was the best episode in the series." It's not that I have a short-term memory; it's that the awesomeness of these episodes blocks out my long-term memories.

Mittermeyer and Reuenthal's conversation had an impact that was analogous (though not similar) to Reinhard and Yang's meeting in episode 54. The conversation was inevitable, but its inevitability made it even more monumental. If anyone was still questioning Reuenthal's motives for "rebelling" against Reinhard, that conversation should've put those questions to rest.

At the end of season 3 I said that Reinhard fit the mold of an Aristotelian tragic hero, but it was an oversight to not recognize that Reuenthal also does, and probably moreso. That of course is dependent on the conclusion to season 4 -- will either Reinhard or Reuenthal suffer a downfall at the hand of their respective tragic flaws? -- but the concept of a conflict between two tragic heroes is...neat.

bakuramariks said:
Kircheis is everywhere

Well it's obviously called the "Siegfried Kircheis Battlefield Honor" because the red stripe is sewn with a lock of his hair. He literally is everywhere.
CuriousThingMay 28, 2012 6:50 PM
Jun 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
I wanted to cry while I was seeing that conversation of Reuenthal and Mittermeyer.. So sad those friends must have a duel..
I have a bad feeling that Reuenthal will not have a chance to face Kaiser because he will lose to Mittermeyer in the end maybe..

And btw I am almost forgot about Alliance lol, not a bad development although I am still not interested in Julian and Kate's relationship at all ... :p
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 4, 2013 5:44 AM

Mar 2013
Jim_Heart said:
I wanted to cry while I was seeing that conversation of Reuenthal and Mittermeyer.. So sad those friends must have a duel..
I have a bad feeling that Reuenthal will not have a chance to face Kaiser because he will lose to Mittermeyer in the end maybe..

The best shippiest-ship ship ever, literally... Reuenthal and Mittermeyer. (;A;)
Aug 7, 2013 2:39 PM

Jun 2013
This is so intense, I'm getting pumped even if it's just talking right now. I'm feeling both side's desire.
Oct 1, 2013 1:41 PM

Nov 2009
So . . . Few funny things happened in this episode. Though the biggest point for me (oddly enough) is what is going to happen to Reinhard's child? I wonder if he will ever even learn it existed or if their will be a miscarriage/abortion before he gets back . . . Anyways that whole mess with Hilda is getting worse.

Anyways, I wonder if Reuenthal will take out Mittenmeyer, that would suck, to lose both Fleet Admirals in one go. Would certainly lower the Empire's military power . . . Although with no enemy force (terrorists / Iserlohn don't count) their really is no need for one.
May 1, 2014 3:50 AM

Sep 2008
Awesome episode. Some serious shit is about to go down in next few episodes.
Aug 12, 2014 5:37 AM

Nov 2013
;___; Ugh, I hate this whole conflict. The one arc of the series so far that I'm not really buying into.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 16, 2014 7:43 PM

Mar 2012
Dam this whole situation really sucks. Two great characters and friends are going to have to fight each other just because of some scheming bastards plotting in the shadows. This is almost, if not as bad, as if we would've had to watch Kircheis and Reinhard fight each other :(
Dec 17, 2014 11:06 AM

Oct 2013
I'm kind of sick of Reinhard and Julian mourning over Kircheis and Wenli every episode.
Mar 14, 2015 4:35 PM

Aug 2014
It's sad to see Reuntal and Mittermeyer's relationship fall apart like that.
Jun 5, 2015 10:58 AM
Nov 2014
This is getting so good... I really don't want Reuental to fight against his bro but I guess he got no choice. Oh well, I'm excited for this battle already.
Jun 21, 2015 4:52 PM

May 2012
Very impressive development but I sure didn't expect that ending between Reuntal and Mittermeyer! Looking forward to see what's next.
Jul 15, 2015 11:52 AM
Mar 2015
Vexper said:
;___; Ugh, I hate this whole conflict. The one arc of the series so far that I'm not really buying into.

This
Jul 28, 2015 12:38 AM

Dec 2013
Reuental's death seems imminent at this point. I'm feeling bad for Mittermeyer :(
Jul 28, 2015 11:42 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Probably one of the most valiant deaths ever.
Jun 24, 2016 5:56 PM

Aug 2014
I really wished that these two didn't have to fight :/

I can't believe there's still Imperial soldiers that doesn't get that the Kaiser doesn't take too well to traitors, regardless of what side they are on. Grillparzer and Knappstein are in for a rude awakening.
Oct 24, 2016 2:47 PM

Nov 2010
The Reuenthal rebellion was very painful for me to watch several years ago. It still resonates with me, nothing has changed since then.

The conversation of two friends was one of the best moments of this episode.
Reuenthal is my favourite character from the LoGH (slightly above Yang) but iin this situation I can relate to Mittermeyer's feelings.
It was very difficult for him.
If I were in his place, I would try to do the same - to convince Reuenthal to sober up. :P
Oh yes, I think that Reuenthal behaves like an idiot here.
It's hard for me to understand Oskar's voluntary submission to Oberstein's & Lang's schemes and his harsh words towards Wolfie.
I enjoyed Mittermeyer's line: "We all must wake up from our dreams sometime. After we wake up, what happens then?". So true!
Although Reuenthal's answer was also good. And "the Senior and Junior Emperor" made me smile. So absurd, it's almost cute.
Dec 31, 2017 3:09 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Julian´s decision was the best!!!
May 21, 2018 12:53 AM
Apr 2018
Yeah so Reinhard and Reuental continue to be two arseholes while Mittermeyer and Muller are just the best.

Grillparzer is a twat too. He knows Reuental didn't do anything wrong for a fact but is keeping it to himself in order to get a promotion. Jerk.

Julian made the right choice, sadly. Hopefully the Empire completely implodes.

Power rankings:

1) Empire. They will win this battle but likely will lose a couple of admirals including Mittermeyer.
2) Julian. Yeah, they made the right choice.
3) Reuental. Any chance they have now is over thanks to Julian.
4) Phezzan
5) Earth Cult- This plot is going to have to be resolved soon....
5) Goldenbaums. They got another mention.

MVP: Muller. He tried, but Reinhard is just a war hungry tyrant that he won't listen.
Nov 12, 2018 1:28 PM

Feb 2017
I know several characters said it was strategically and politically unwise for Julian to join with Reuenthal, but I still really wanted to see the outcome of those two on the same team. Julian already respects Reuenthal quite a bit just from analyzing his decisions.
Jan 17, 2019 12:34 AM
Jul 2018
JohnWoo said:
Yeah so Reinhard and Reuental continue to be two arseholes while Mittermeyer and Muller are just the best.

Grillparzer is a twat too. He knows Reuental didn't do anything wrong for a fact but is keeping it to himself in order to get a promotion. Jerk.

Julian made the right choice, sadly. Hopefully the Empire completely implodes.

Power rankings:

1) Empire. They will win this battle but likely will lose a couple of admirals including Mittermeyer.
2) Julian. Yeah, they made the right choice.
3) Reuental. Any chance they have now is over thanks to Julian.
4) Phezzan
5) Earth Cult- This plot is going to have to be resolved soon....
5) Goldenbaums. They got another mention.

MVP: Muller. He tried, but Reinhard is just a war hungry tyrant that he won't listen.

I don't think you understand the definition of the word "tyrant".

While there's definitely a lack of communication between Reuenthal and the Kaiser, Reuenthal is undoubtedly in the wrong here. Upon being setup, he was too prideful to try and clear his name. However, there's also the mutual element of desiring a worthy opponent - I feel he's trying to fulfill the Kaiser's wishes just as much as his own. The Kaiser has had the deaths of both Friedrich von Goldenbaum and Yang Wenli taken from him, so his feelings are understandable. He's a little too fiery for his own good, but he's far from bloodthirsty or a tyrant (so far).
Aug 20, 2019 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
why does reuntal have to act like a 15 yo

Nov 27, 2019 6:07 AM

Oct 2012
It's just impossible Reuntal.. it's just not possible for you to win this
I can't understand Reuntal's way of thinking.. he challenged Reinhard just to "entertain" him in a way
"Signature removed"
Jan 4, 2020 3:04 PM

Nov 2016
Very intriguing episode again, but I don't want to see this, it's just so fucked up.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 12, 2020 9:38 PM

Jan 2016
This episode is so underrated while being absolutely fantastic. I wish this show was more of this drama and tenseness and less meanginelss conversations.
The dual victory motivations is great too. Reinhard is fighting to prevent the collapse of the empire and Reunenthal is fighting against corruption. The soldiers also have reason to side with Reuenthal over the kaiser too because it is very likely that Reinhard will die of his illness therefore the empire will fall into the hands of (((subversive))) outside figures. Both sides are just in their war.
DhaarokFeb 12, 2020 9:41 PM
May 7, 2020 10:40 AM
Sep 2017
ThePuisiitis said:
Eh, all these 90-95 episodes i've been thinking about this ... what about the millions of soldiers etc that are going to die in this pointless war, just because of some peoples pride. I'd say Reuental etc are nothing more than dirt.
Comrades fighting between themselves, millions of wives, children and parents suffering for this, war trauma.

Yeah same, do they really not consider those things at all >< Can Reuentahl really ignore the losses just because of his pride and desire to give meaning for his existence? Was he that foul he was ready to sacrifice people in this war just for such things.. his character seemed wiser until now! Meddeling with women maybe yes, but not trashing soldiers into death for these kind of reasons...

Sad said:

Again, same.. I do like the conversations between the characters, but I cannot fully enjoy all this, it just seems a forced conflict to begin with, and unnecessary as well. There could have been other things to fill the story with, more corrupt or treacherous people, but the admirals fighting amongst each other: it's hard to believe in. I'm losing a lot of interest in these episodes.. I hope it picks up soon.

Mittermeyer is one of my favourite characters though, I really hope he makes it alive !
Aug 25, 2020 5:45 PM
Feb 2019
Abandon all logic ye who enter here!

One month millions of soldiers fight to die for Lohengramm. The next month millions of the same soldiers fight to die for Reuenthal without protest, abandonment, or rebellion.

It would be acceptable if there was a reason, a real strong reason to motivate millions of soldiers to change face. Alas, there is not.

With a heavy heart, LOGH has dropped to an 8/10 for me.
ModelacrossiAug 25, 2020 5:50 PM
Dec 30, 2020 9:55 PM
Jun 2017
Julian so far has taken the road I predicted as the best. He has already turned down Reuental, so now he only has to deal with him as a potential enemy. Now the issue is if he will side with Reinhard (and gain some leverage by making the Empire owing them one) or turn him down too, which would make their position even more isolated. Both militarily and politically, siding with Reinhard is the best option.

Reuental is indeed fighting for pride. He is fighting for a dream. In a way, he reminds me of Griffith.

I can't really say who is Grillpalzer loyal to. In any way, I raised a red flag for Oberstein. As I have said, there have been no shows of him actually trying to monopolize the government, but he is pretty much universally hated.

My, my, Karin is a fully fledged tsundere.

I share the opinion of many here when it comes to saying this is an unnecessary conflict. Yes, everyone hates Oberstein, but is that hate so strong as to make millions of soldiers to rise in arms? Even though they are strictly following Reuental, would they really be so eager to fight against Mittermeyer and the Kaiser himself?

Also, it's irresponsible from Reuental to waste so many lives and resources. I'm glad they stripped him from his rank and position due to his senseless pride. Reuental easily made a name for himself in history. He already was a Fleet Admiral, the Chief of High Command and also the Governor-General of Neue Land. That alone would have made him shine with a distinctive light from the Kaiser's in the universe of History, but he chose to go down due to his useless pride, in the shameful way of the traitor.

If only he had reassured his loyalty to the Kaiser (even more knowing that Reinhard would heartfeltedly pardon him, given the past false accusation), none of this would be happening. Even so, Reinhard is to blame, too. His past statement really gave foot to Reinhard to revolt.

Ah, if only they had all followed Oberstein advice of not letting anyone grow so strong... Oberstein knew this would happen from the beginning. If not, he wouldn't have objected to Reuental being given the Consulship, and wouldn't have advocated for Lennenkampt instead. Oberstein knows!
PaulotronatorDec 30, 2020 10:05 PM
Jun 15, 2021 4:55 AM

Nov 2018
Reuenthal > Emperor Of Arrogance , too bad his hair is not blond and shiny
I hate everyone equally
Aug 7, 2021 6:00 PM

Jun 2020
respect 4 reuenthal jus went
📉📉📉📉📉📉📉📉📉
Sep 4, 2021 5:10 PM

Dec 2018
first off i've been meaning to say this but the opening for this season has been absolute garbage
grillparzer was lying, i'm not sure if he got roped into the earth cult since he failed to uncover the findings, if so then he's not really loyal to either side and was just saying that crap to get his friend to join
julian did alright, even if i don't really like him. he has the charisma of wet cardboard. i don't like anyone but like three people in that whole team either. never have.
show's almost over and no one has even bothered to entertain the thought that a third party is causing all of this chaos. frustrating.
Feb 12, 2022 3:50 AM

Jul 2016
Ezekiel said:
Why did Poplan hide when he saw Murai? I don't remember what happened between them.

NOthing really happened. Murai was just a grinch when he was there who ripped into Poplan all the time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.