Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2018 11:45 PM

Jun 2017
HY

I found MAL as a website where I can see other peoples opinions on animes through reviews..

But the problem is that the majority of people write the reviews on the shows they have dropped just to hate on the show..

I found a review on FMAB by a person who dropped it on 2 episode stating that it is the most generic a show can get..

I didn't watch it because I didn't wanted to waste my time (64 episodes)
But after a month or so I watched and found it amazing..

Why to write a review to just hate if you dropped it..

Some people make a separate acct. just hate on a show (ditf)..

These are just my thoughts

Am I correct ??
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2018 11:48 PM

Dec 2017
It's very simple, don't decide to watch a show simply based on its reviews. If the premise of a series piques your interest, that's all that really matters. Everybody has differing opinions, only way to find out if you like something or not is if you try it out for yourself.
May 12, 2018 11:50 PM

Jun 2017
NickDen said:
It's very simple, don't decide to watch a show simply based on its reviews. If the premise of a series piques your interest, that's all that really matters. Everybody has differing opinions, only way to find out if you like something or not is if you try it out for yourself.

I don't like dropping shows ..
But I don't like to force watch it..

Thats why I relay on reviews..
May 12, 2018 11:51 PM

Oct 2015
MAL is flawed as it can get baby, it's like an open group forum except there are kids shouting left and right.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 12, 2018 11:52 PM

Feb 2018
Hating a show is also an opinion but in that specific case most likely not a very sound one. I feel you want to base your decision whether or not to watch a show on people's reviews you need to evaluate if the person who wrote the review has actual examples and stuff like that for its arguments.
May 12, 2018 11:53 PM

Oct 2015
Deku6339 said:
NickDen said:

Well reviews are unreliable, I never look at them. I read the description of an anime and decide to watch it if it sounds interesting. The reason being is that since reviews are opinions, you could watch an anime and love it while the reviews hate it. You will miss out on a lot of good stuff in life if you just listen to other people.
May 12, 2018 11:53 PM

Jun 2017
-Lofn- said:
MAL is flawed as it can get baby, it's like an open group forum except there are kids shouting left and right.

So there is nothing I can do ????

How do you decide to watch a show?
May 12, 2018 11:54 PM

Oct 2015
Deku6339 said:
-Lofn- said:

So there is nothing I can do ????

How do you decide to watch a show?
Nothing, I watch what I feel like it, I don't read reviews, if the show looks good or at least entertaining, my gut feeling knows what to do.

May 12, 2018 11:55 PM

Dec 2017
Honestly why don't you watch the first 3 episodes or so, see if you like it, and continue/drop it depending on how you feel about it.

You don't have to read a single review. There are others out there as well.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

May 12, 2018 11:57 PM
Mar 2018
Maybe you could try read the review without looking at the score and don't follow those who has dropped ? XD
May 12, 2018 11:57 PM

Jun 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
Hating a show is also an opinion but in that specific case most likely not a very sound one. I feel you want to base your decision whether or not to watch a show on people's reviews you need to evaluate if the person who wrote the review has actual examples and stuff like that for its arguments.

But writing just to hate it even if you dropped it is really something explainable..
May 13, 2018 12:00 AM

Jun 2017
Reina_Orikasa said:
Honestly why don't you watch the first 3 episodes or so, see if you like it, and continue/drop it depending on how you feel about it.

You don't have to read a single review. There are others out there as well.

Except majority of original animes which are my favorite usually start on the second core..
May 13, 2018 12:01 AM

Feb 2018
Deku6339 said:
xShinigami3125 said:

But writing just to hate it even if you dropped it is really something explainable..

Well I feel you dislike a show a lot and want to express how you feel about it by writing a review I don't see any problem with that. I mean the reviews are there to show what the community thinks about the anime and help people decide whether or not to pick up a show. And if a show was bad enough that you decided to stop it don't you think it would be helpful to tell others why it was so bad so they don't waste their time with the show ? But I am only talking about negative reviews and not a page filled with insults and attacks on the fans of the show because I don't consider those to be actual reviews. Also you can't knew if the people wrote the reviews just to hate or if they had the intentions I described above. I think it's a little presumptuous of you to pretend that you knew the motives of the people who wrote these reviews.
May 13, 2018 12:02 AM

Dec 2017
Deku6339 said:
NickDen said:

If you only rely on reviews then you're going to miss out on a lot of stuff that you'd enjoy and potentially some favorites as well. Reading reviews to help aid your decision is fine and all, but at the end of the day it's YOU who is watching the anime and you are an individual person who has the capacity to form different perspectives from other people.
May 13, 2018 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
There is nothing wrong with writing a review for a show that you hate or for a show that you didn't complete. Reviews are made by people for their views on the show. If they feel that it was bad then have the right to write a review which is focused on showing how bad the show is. You should not decide the quality of a show by reading someone elses review. As a lot of people have already said, watch it and then decide for yourself
May 13, 2018 12:06 AM

Oct 2016
lol I don't look to any user's reviews, you can just find anime that picks your interest without being swayed to people's shitty reviews, I wonder how someone can be so critic even though they don't know how hard and tedious it is to produce anime, just to entertain these so called "otakus."
Otaku are the ones who should appreciate anime right???
She's searching for the man who can melt her forzen heart.The one who will chip away at her walls until they fall apart.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
May 13, 2018 12:07 AM

Jun 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
Deku6339 said:

Well I feel you dislike a show a lot and want to express how you feel about it by writing a review I don't see any problem with that. I mean the reviews are there to show what the community thinks about the anime and help people decide whether or not to pick up a show. And if a show was bad enough that you decided to stop it don't you think it would be helpful to tell others why it was so bad so they don't waste their time with the show ? But I am only talking about negative reviews and not a page filled with insults and attacks on the fans of the show because I don't consider those to be actual reviews. Also you can't knew if the people wrote the reviews just to hate or if they had the intentions I described above. I think it's a little presumptuous of you to pretend that you knew the motives of the people who wrote these reviews.

But what if the show gets really good afterwards..
(I was almost not going to see bnha S2 after reading some early reviews cause S1 was okay)
May 13, 2018 12:08 AM

Aug 2015
#1 anime on the webiste, top review rated a 10 with nearly 3000 people finding it helpful. and you went with the 2/10 review?
May 13, 2018 12:11 AM

Jun 2017
Hell_Slayer said:
There is nothing wrong with writing a review for a show that you hate or for a show that you didn't complete. Reviews are made by people for their views on the show. If they feel that it was bad then have the right to write a review which is focused on showing how bad the show is. You should not decide the quality of a show by reading someone elses review. As a lot of people have already said, watch it and then decide for yourself

Some people make separate acct. just to do that !!

I think it's really bad//
May 13, 2018 12:13 AM

Jun 2017
-Everlasting- said:
#1 anime on the webiste, top review rated a 10 with nearly 3000 people finding it helpful. and you went with the 2/10 review?

I watched your name because it was no. 1 that time..

I thought it was OKAY..
I am kinda new to anime..
May 13, 2018 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Deku6339 said:
Hell_Slayer said:

Some people make separate acct. just to do that !!

I think it's really bad//
Ignore them. The world is full of fools.
May 13, 2018 12:17 AM

Jun 2017
See the latest review now..

Exactly what I was talking about..
May 13, 2018 12:27 AM

Mar 2015
I don't think the majority of reviews are written by people who've dropped the show. There's plenty of positive reviews for each show lol
May 13, 2018 12:30 AM

Feb 2018
Deku6339 said:
xShinigami3125 said:

But what if the show gets really good afterwards..
(I was almost not going to see bnha S2 after reading some early reviews cause S1 was okay)

You shouldn't base everything on a few reviews if you liked the prequel or just the synopsis just give it a shot.
May 13, 2018 12:30 AM

Sep 2017
Mirai said:
I don't think the majority of reviews are written by people who've dropped the show. There's plenty of positive reviews for each show lol

This is where you are wrong..

In usual case dislikes > likes..

γƒœγƒΌγƒ«γƒ«γƒΌγƒ γƒ€γƒ³γ‚΅γƒΌ
May 13, 2018 1:17 AM

Jul 2016
If you like, when you click on the reviews page for any anime on this site, there's a button you can unclick called preliminary

Unclick it and it'll hide any reviews by people who haven't finished that show. Although, I looked through the first two pages of reviews and only one of them was unfinished (probably the same guy you saw), so you really had to go looking for the what you're talking about.
Personally, I don't have any problem with pre-lim reviews, since I tend not to read reviews anyway. Even then, a review is just that: a review. They can be good or bad and it doesn't matter whether or not you've finished it, in my opinion. I've dropped plenty of shows in my time, just because I don't want to have to wait for it to get good.
Still, hope I was able to help with the pre-lim button
ChilliePeppersMay 13, 2018 1:30 AM
May 13, 2018 1:24 AM

Jan 2018
It doesn't matter if you like the anime that they dislike. Everyone have their own opinion.
May 13, 2018 1:28 AM

Aug 2016
Skim the reviews and find ones that are actually well written. I’m guessing whoever wrote that 2/10 review didn’t actually explain why the show was boring. Most reviews aren’t great, but usually some of the top reviews are decent, and can give you an idea of what the show is like.
May 13, 2018 1:33 AM

Feb 2017
It doesn't matter where you really are, it's just weebs being weebs, moreover internet
May 13, 2018 1:35 AM

Jun 2017
Instead of reading reviews, you have to find friends/persons with similar taste and ask them to share their feelings about a show... It's definitely better
May 13, 2018 1:36 AM

Apr 2018
People are free to say whatever they think about a certain anime. Either they complete it or not doesn't matter. I find those who insult reviewer or tell those reviewer do delete their review on the reviewer page more of a problem. But sure, people are free to say whatever they want about the review made by the reviewer.

In the end, it's the reader who decides to believe in the review or not.

I personally don't care that much about such a thing. Just write this to kill time.
May 13, 2018 1:42 AM

Nov 2017
-Lofn- said:

What flaws? MAL is perfectly fine, the problem is with the community. People on here always make a big deal out of completely nothing.
They constantly complain about the ratings, fans, reviews and whatnot. The problem is that people are not familiar with subjectivity. Accept the fact that everyone has their own opinion and tastes and you'll be fine.
May 13, 2018 1:43 AM

Oct 2015
imwueue said:

What flaws? MAL is perfectly fine, the problem is with the community. People on here always make a big deal out of completely nothing.
They constantly complain about the ratings, fans, reviews and whatnot. The problem is that people are not familiar with subjectivity. Accept the fact that everyone has their own opinion and tastes and you'll be fine.
When I said MAL, I do mean the community. And I won't say MAL as a site is perfectly fine either, but it's trying like banning troll accounts and the likes.

May 13, 2018 1:43 AM
Aug 2016
Maybe stop reading preliminary reviews?
May 13, 2018 2:00 AM
Dec 2015
Deku6339 said:
HY

I found MAL as a website where I can see other peoples opinions on animes through reviews..

But the problem is that the majority of people write the reviews on the shows they have dropped just to hate on the show..

I found a review on FMAB by a person who dropped it on 2 episode stating that it is the most generic a show can get..

I didn't watch it because I didn't wanted to waste my time (64 episodes)
But after a month or so I watched and found it amazing..

Why to write a review to just hate if you dropped it..

Some people make a separate acct. just hate on a show (ditf)..

These are just my thoughts

Am I correct ??

Yeah, you are correct. You shouldn't relay on reviews because the majority of them are written by haters to show that they hate some kinds of anime or that they hate some popular anime and think that their opinions are superior to others. Also, these reviews are often fucking long that you might need to write a summary to figure out the points of them or that you might start to think that someone assign the people who wrote them to write an essay about that anime. Instead of relying on reviews, you should choose what to watch based on what you think that you are going to like.
Gladiator6hMay 13, 2018 2:07 AM
May 13, 2018 2:12 AM

Apr 2016
People actually read reviews here? Kek.

I just look at the cover and read a few synopsis lines to choose what I want to watch.
May 13, 2018 2:39 AM

Jul 2017
There's no problem with that. The person only wanted to give out his opinions about an anime. Everyone has a different taste.
May 13, 2018 2:54 AM

Aug 2016
Basically everyone has already said this by now, but you cant base your opinions on what others say. There will always be lovers and haters of every series. No single show will appeal to absolutely everyone, its just not possible.

People are allowed to dislike something if they dislike it (shocking I know), and if they thought it was so bad that they couldn't even finish it, then wanting to tell people that isnt such a bad thing.

People will have different opinions. My advice to you is to form your own ones. Only you should know if an anime interests you from the description. Sure not every anime is going to live up to your expectations, but you know what, thats ok too. Not every anime you watch is going to be a masterpiece, but among all the ones you didn't like, you'll find those few that are truly special to you.

Don't go by someone elses opinions, find shows that you want to watch because you want to watch them.
May 13, 2018 3:01 AM

Nov 2016
You shouldn't decide to watch a show based on reviews, because most of them are just haters to try to get attention. How can people rate an anime if it is good or not with only 2 episodes. Is just too dumb.
May 13, 2018 3:02 AM
May 2016
Because it's normal in this society to be inherently negative about anything. Same reason the negative comments on sites like Yelp or TripAdvisor far outweigh the positive ones. We only care about something if there is something someone hates about it, and we feverishly search out for negative reviews/comments subconciously.
May 13, 2018 7:13 AM

Feb 2013
why would you ever read a review other than first 4 xd
May 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Nov 2016
So what was the problem again ? I don't get it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 13, 2018 7:50 AM

Jun 2017
No , you're not , you're not using MAL as you should.

Yes , MAL can be useful but you shouldn't rely so much on others' opinions , it's OK to read a review but sadly most of the time , you'll find people giving a show a 6 or a 7 just because "production is not as good as it should be" or some bullshit like that , I mean , wtf does that even mean? , people often forget to enjoy , they watch to judge , you shouldn't watch anime to write a review on a website unless you get paid...

But , I mean , they can write whatever they want to , they're free to do it , it was your fault to believe in their words , not theirs and MAL even shows how many people have found a review helpful...

Anyway , read reviews if you like , but take them with a pinch of salt , don't blindly believe in them , use them to give yourself an idea of what the show is like .

Personally I think it's a waste of time , I just look at other people's list or check MAL's top and when I find something interesting (its plot , its promotional poster , its character design , etc) I watch the first two episodes , If I don't like it , I drop it .

May 13, 2018 7:55 AM

Feb 2013
You should ignore reviews, it's a waste of time.
I've never read any review in my entire life and I got no problem finding good anime to watch, just check the genres and you will find what you're looking for.
You gotta know that your opinion is the most important one, others can say whatever they want.
May 13, 2018 9:00 AM

Jun 2017
Mizuti1 said:
If you like, when you click on the reviews page for any anime on this site, there's a button you can unclick called preliminary

Unclick it and it'll hide any reviews by people who haven't finished that show. Although, I looked through the first two pages of reviews and only one of them was unfinished (probably the same guy you saw), so you really had to go looking for the what you're talking about.
Personally, I don't have any problem with pre-lim reviews, since I tend not to read reviews anyway. Even then, a review is just that: a review. They can be good or bad and it doesn't matter whether or not you've finished it, in my opinion. I've dropped plenty of shows in my time, just because I don't want to have to wait for it to get good.
Still, hope I was able to help with the pre-lim button

Thanks for telling..
This is real helpful..
May 13, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2017
AnimeWatcher06 said:
People are free to say whatever they think about a certain anime. Either they complete it or not doesn't matter. I find those who insult reviewer or tell those reviewer do delete their review on the reviewer page more of a problem. But sure, people are free to say whatever they want about the review made by the reviewer.

In the end, it's the reader who decides to believe in the review or not.

I personally don't care that much about such a thing. Just write this to kill time.

But don't you think it's just to far to create an acct. just only to hate on a certain show..

Here everyone write a review on something the hate rather than what they love..

May 13, 2018 9:08 AM

Jun 2017
Ulquiorra said:
You should ignore reviews, it's a waste of time.
I've never read any review in my entire life and I got no problem finding good anime to watch, just check the genres and you will find what you're looking for.
You gotta know that your opinion is the most important one, others can say whatever they want.

Thanks for the advise..This was helpful..
May 13, 2018 9:10 AM

Jun 2017
FMmatron said:

1) People hating on another level..

2) And how can I judge if the show is good or bad without the reviews..

3) I f there is anything we can do to stop these assholes..
May 13, 2018 9:23 AM
Nov 2013
Some general rules for whenever you're looking at reviews.

1. Never read just one review, by just reading a singular review you're only getting a single perspective on the show, which a solid 80% of the time will not match up with yours, generally you should read 4-5 actually decent reviews on something on both sides of the fence, someone who loves it obviously won't have many issues with it and something someone finds an issue with could be a show/game/etc. breaker for you

2.Find a reviewer that you generally agree with, whether it be on MAL, Youtube, or some blog, this'll get you a ton of mileage for finding the stuff you'll love, if adding it as one of the reviews you're going to read, cause it's nigh-impossible to watch every show out there so you're going to miss some that someone else will find, and it gives you a better perspective on shows you want to watch

3. Learn to laugh, this is doubled on a site like MAL which lets everyone and anyone write reviews, some people just have no fucking concept of what a show is about or does, at all, so they write a shit review for it that doesn't actually tell you anything, some reviews are just jokes in and of themselves like someone repeatedly writing "it's trash"

Also, you're not even at 100 shows yet dude, you'll learn to figure out what's good from summary, promos, and artwork at some point, you'll also get less averse to just watching the first episodes of some shows to see if they're good, and eventually you'll learn to drop or you'll end up burning yourself out on anime, I did that a few times early on.
TuranikanMay 13, 2018 9:29 AM
May 13, 2018 10:11 AM

Nov 2016
Deku6339 said:
FMmatron said:

1) People hating on another level..

2) And how can I judge if the show is good or bad without the reviews..

3) I f there is anything we can do to stop these assholes..

1) People hate,but it isn't a problem, unless you're making one of it.

2) Decide based on premise,overall meanscore and reputation instead of relying on one single review.

3) No there isn't and we shouldn't just simply because you didn't like what they have to say. It's content of the review you should pay attention to. A review can be helpful even tho it's full of hate for the show.

It all boils down to the fact that you've read a shitty review and I'm honestly amazed that you gave it more credibility than all the other factors,including top reviews. Don't make other people responsible for your illogical decision.
Sry if I sound a bit too harsh.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
1 minute ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

57 by BilboBaggins365 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

60 by Meline0102 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

114 by -YaoiBoy- »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.