Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 11, 2018 9:28 PM

Oct 2017
I read in some websites that I need to watch Fate/Stay Night first then the Fate/Zero series and last the Unlimited Blade Works.
But I also read in some other websites that The Fate/Zero takes place a couple months/years before the Fate/Stay Night series...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 11, 2018 9:29 PM

Oct 2015
The only answer is to watch Fate/Kaleid

But, I watched Stay years ago and can't remember, but I still watched Zero, so if you ask me, you can just jump on it. It's basically a standalone anyway.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 11, 2018 9:33 PM
Jun 2017
Fate Stay Night the Deen studio version
just so you know, it's shit, but you can only truly appreciate Zero when you've experience that shit-ness
after Zero, go on and watch Blade Work, and then the soon-to-be-release Heaven Feels
All the others are basically alternate Universe, really doesn't matter that much

However, if you want to skip FSN Deen studio version entirely, then watch Blade Work, and then Zero. Never watch Zero first
May 11, 2018 9:35 PM

Mar 2018
There's a thread specifically for this topic...

I wrote a list of the watching order of Fate series.

β–¬β–¬ι═══════ﺀ YOα‘Œ.... α‘•Oα‘Œα’ͺα—ͺ IT α—·E Tα•Όα—©T YOα‘Œ'α–‡E α’α‘Œα”•T α—©α‘Ž Iα—ͺIOT?
~ Araragi Senpai
ツ
* . γ€€γ€€ *
.γ€€γ€€γ€€ γ€€ ˚ γ€€γ€€ * γ€€ ·
.γ€€γ€€βœ¦γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€ ✫ ·
.γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€βœ’γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€°γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€ ✧ γ€€γ€€ . γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€ γ€€
May 11, 2018 9:37 PM

Aug 2017
Fate/Zero of course. Stay Night will spoil you the ending of Zero. Also, Zero explain much better the Holy Grail War.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 11, 2018 9:47 PM

Jul 2016
I started watching "all" fate-related anime based on publishing date so...

I started with Fate/Stay Night (2006) by Deen Studio but I got spoiled about things that were not supposed to be shown since the anime was supposed to tell only the events of the first route (Fate route)...

Then, I watched Fate/Zero and UBW after that... so in my opinion, you sould watch Fate/Zero first. Then, it's up to you if you want to watch Stay Night (2006) because it's a mix of events from the three routes and finally, UBW.

To sum up, it'd be like this: Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night (2006) (OPTIONAL) -> UBW
May 11, 2018 10:04 PM
Jul 2016
It really doesn't matter. I agonized over this question for the longest time, worrying about starting at the "right" place. Eventually, I got tired of that, so I just picked one and jumped in. As it turned out, I was worried for nothing.

Studio Deen's version of Fate/Stay Night is by far the least gripping, the least pretty, and has the lowest production values, though. If you find it too dull to continue, I recommend giving one of the other two a shot.

And, yes, Fate/Zero takes place ten years prior to the Fate/Stay Night story (all versions of it.)
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
May 11, 2018 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
Watch Stay Night first cause watching Zero first would take away a lot of hype.
May 12, 2018 3:12 AM

Nov 2007
Fate/Stay Night has no relationship with Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night UBW.

You can watch either first.

But I would recommend that you watch the ufotable version starting with Fate/Zero. Nothing of value will be lost of you avoided F/S N by Deen.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 12, 2018 3:17 AM

Apr 2018
Go watch Fate Stay/Night by Studio Deen first, it isn't that good. Borderline bad, but explains everything you need to know about the Fate franchise.
Wake me up for another crusade
May 12, 2018 3:23 AM

Apr 2016
Fate stay night first.
Then Zero.
And then Fate stay UBW and Heaven's Feel.
May 12, 2018 3:25 AM

Jul 2017
Fate/Zero is the prequel of Fate/stay night but 2006's Fate/stay night came first. I watched Fate/Zero first before Fate/stay night so maybe you can go for that. F/SN follows the plot after F/Z quite well but the VN of the Fate route is just superior. But since there's no remake of the Fate route (yet), go watch 2006's Fate/stay night after Fate/Zero.

So here's my opinion on you watching 2006's Fate/stay night: Go ahead and judge it for yourself. I personally loved it despite its major flaws. And,
THIS IS THE ONLY ADAPTATION OF THE FATE ROUTE FOR NOW.

There are things you WILL miss out on if you skip this one. Unless ufotable remakes it.
Mikura39May 12, 2018 3:36 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
May 12, 2018 3:34 AM

Jan 2018
I would recommend you watch Fate/Zero first. It's the best of the franchise by far and it would be a shame to get spoiled on the ending. The outcome is far more surprising than the more shounen-like Stay/Night. It's a lot more engaging because you don't really know what will happen next.
I also watched Zero first and I'm so glad that I did, because now it's one of my favourite series ever.
May 12, 2018 5:41 AM
Apr 2018
-Lofn- said:
The only answer is to watch Fate/Kaleid

Ah, I See You're a Man of Culture

It’s the fate series worth watching
May 12, 2018 6:02 AM
Aug 2016
The best option is to watch neither of those.
May 12, 2018 6:03 AM

May 2014
You should avoid fate entirely instead, that's the better option, but if you must watch one then go with Zero.
May 12, 2018 6:07 AM

Oct 2015
watch the superior tsukihime anime :^)
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
May 12, 2018 6:27 AM

Nov 2016
Save the best (Zero) for last. UBW was underwhelming,being an eyecandy saved it.
FMmatronMay 12, 2018 6:37 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 2018 6:33 AM

Oct 2017
I heard that FSN should be ignored cuz the adaptation is very bad XD..

Anyway, you can watch F/Z without watching any other fate series first.

Then you can watch UBW for the continuation, but you probably would find out it's much more lackluster in comparison afterward if you watch F/Z first.
May 12, 2018 6:38 AM
Dec 2016
Zero first and then the route of stay night taht you prefer
May 12, 2018 6:50 AM

Apr 2018
F/Z takes place 10 years before the main series. If you want to follow the story in a sequential order watch F/Z first.

I followed the release order and I really liked F/Z since I knew what to expect and how events would kinda unfold. So it was more interesting.

I'd recommend watching by the release order since FSN does a better job of getting you into fate world than F/Z. You'll love F/Z more if you know about the characters a bit beforehand.

May 12, 2018 6:53 AM

Oct 2017
gowphnx45 said:
F/Z takes place 10 years before the main series. If you want to follow the story in a sequential order watch F/Z first.

I followed the release order and I really liked F/Z since I knew what to expect and how events would kinda unfold. So it was more interesting.

I'd recommend watching by the release order since FSN does a better job of getting you into fate world than F/Z. You'll love F/Z more if you know about the characters a bit beforehand.

I watched it in order of F/Z -> UBW -> Heaven's Feel.

I still like F/Z more than other 2 by miles because execution/ story/ pacing/ characters are just miles better.

You don't need to watch the other 2 to like F/Z.

F/Z is actually what gets me into Fate series.
The other one is just more mediocre in my point of view because of various issues.
(Still a good watch though cuz the animation is eye-candy)
May 12, 2018 6:53 AM

Sep 2017
Zero then Unlimited Blade Works (TV). After them, watch Heaven's Feel to see changes in the UBW storyline.

Fate/Apocrypha is alternate universe so need to watch. No connection to the main storyline.

Skip Fate Stay/Night 2006.
May 12, 2018 6:57 AM
Oct 2017
watch fate nights into fate dreamland and then watch fate cooking and finally fate anal olympics
May 12, 2018 7:09 AM

Apr 2018
Ventus_S said:
gowphnx45 said:

I watched it in order of F/Z -> UBW -> Heaven's Feel.

I still like F/Z more than other 2 by miles because execution/ story/ pacing/ characters are just miles better.

You don't need to watch the other 2 to like F/Z.

F/Z is actually what gets me into Fate series.
The other one is just more mediocre in my point of view because of various issues.
(Still a good watch though cuz the animation is eye-candy)

I don't disagree. FZ is the better series. It has lot of interesting characters and kiritsugu and kirei were a treat to watch.

And you certainly don't need to watch FSN to like F/Z. But knowing the result ahead and anticipating how things came to be in FSN made the events of FZ even more interesting for me.

I played the visual novel before watching the anime so maybe that's why I feel that way.
May 12, 2018 7:28 AM

Apr 2017
watch zero and don't bother with the rest of the franchise
May 12, 2018 7:33 AM
Apr 2018
I've played the VN before watching anime.
I watched FSN UBW first, then Zero. Still have to watch Deen Fate (2006).
I don't recommend you watch Zero first.
Anyway, do what you want
May 12, 2018 7:50 AM
May 2018
I think you should watch fate stay night before UWB or Zero
May 12, 2018 7:50 AM

Nov 2016
Fate/Zero is by far better with better explanation so don't bother with the Deen adaptation.
May 12, 2018 7:53 AM

Jun 2017
Aslt said:
The best option is to watch neither of those.
Ok but if you had to choose between watching one of these two or rewatching Eromanga Sensei which Fate would you choose.
I'm a shitposter for fun
May 12, 2018 7:54 AM

Dec 2017
I think this is how it was meant to be watched: F/ST --> F/ST UBW -->F/HF --> F/Z --> Then you are pretty much free to watch anything like Fate/Kaelid, Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Grand Order etc.
But if you don't want to wait for all 3 Heavens Feel movies Just watch F/ST UBW --> F/Z or F/ST --> F/Z.
I strongly recommend to not watch F/Z first, because Fate is not meant for chronological watching

May 12, 2018 7:57 AM
Apr 2018
refsky said:
I read in some websites that I need to watch Fate/Stay Night first then the Fate/Zero series and last the Unlimited Blade Works.
But I also read in some other websites that The Fate/Zero takes place a couple months/years before the Fate/Stay Night series...

Fate/Kaleid Is the only fate series worth watching
May 12, 2018 8:09 AM
Jan 2018
Fate/zero first then Fate/Stay night UBW
Don't trust with fate/kaleid
May 12, 2018 8:10 AM

Mar 2018
So no one mentions Deen's UBW movie anymore, huh? Kinda sad cuz it's what hooked me into the franchise. And Carnival Phantasm.

May 12, 2018 8:45 AM
Jan 2018
I highly recommend starting with Deen's FSN (2006) series. It's really not that bad, other than the dated visuals and the tacked on spoilers for UBW and HF. It is also the series that does the world building for the Fate franchise the best. It also gives certain answers and plot points that will help improve your appreciation for the rest of the Fate series.

If you don't want spoilers for UBW and HF (which is the biggest problem of the series), then you can find edited versions of certain episodes in Youtube done by reddit user u/Jafroboy. These episodes are dubbed but he did a commendable job. Watch those episodes instead of the episodes they substitute.

After that... Well you might as well go for release order and watch Zero next since the UBW anime assumes you watched Zero and added certain scenes with that in mind. Ending with the Heaven's Feel movies is the best possible way to end the "core" Fate franchise IMO as it ends the series far better than if you'd watch Zero last.

So my order would be edited FSN (2006) -> Zero -> UBW -> HF
May 12, 2018 9:05 AM

Oct 2015
Kumagawa_mei said:
watch the superior tsukihime anime :^)
How can you watch something that doesn't exist?

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 12, 2018 9:06 AM

Aug 2016
Realistically the best thing to do is just pick one of them and start watching, regardless of which order you go by someone is going to say you watched it wrong.

I'd personally just go with release date order, its what i originally did and that was more than fine for me. Fate/Stay Night (2006) -> Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks -> Heavens Feel Movies

The rest of them, Kaleid, Apocrypha, Extra etc are all side stories and spinoffs, you don't really need to see them but they're there if you want more.
May 12, 2018 9:07 AM

Apr 2018
stay/night visual novel -> fate zero -> your call from there
May 12, 2018 9:32 AM
May 2017
I watched Fate/Zero as a stand alone and I loved it.
May 12, 2018 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
Probably Fate/stay night first. It has the best atmosphere of any Fate, the soundtrack is sublime.
May 12, 2018 11:22 AM

Mar 2015
Read πŸ‘ the πŸ‘ visual πŸ‘ novel πŸ‘
May 12, 2018 11:30 AM
Jul 2014
Oh the Ufotards, such funny that ignorance. In fact DEEN adaptations are much better and faithfull than Ufotable ones.

Watch all in release order: F/SN, UBW MOVIE, F/Z, UBW TV and HF and juzge by yourself.

Also i dont read responses to this, my time it's more valuable that discussing with Ufotards, sadly are many.
May 12, 2018 11:39 AM

Jun 2017
Skip the anime and go straight to the doujins .

May 12, 2018 11:57 AM

Mar 2018
It's better if you don't watch it and watch something that doesn't insult your intelligence.
lol
May 12, 2018 3:39 PM

Nov 2015
Whenever you jump into a huge franchise like fate, I always recommend watching them in airing order, regardless of 'chronological story/order'. If you want the main fate routes, you have Fate/stay night, followed by Fate/Zero, Fate UBW, and finally the more recent Heaven's Feel. I'll admit, the 2006 fate is kinda crap, but it's the reason why Zero's story was constructed the way it was and is helpful in understanding the battle royale setup. Yes, Zero is prequel to F/s n and UBW, but that doesn't mean you have to watch it first.
May 12, 2018 4:14 PM

Oct 2017
chinaisntreal said:
It's better if you don't watch it and watch something that doesn't insult your intelligence.

Account created at May 12, 2018.

Bait alt account lolz..
Use your main account you coward.
May 12, 2018 4:18 PM

Oct 2017
Tsuguni said:
Oh the Ufotards, such funny that ignorance. In fact DEEN adaptations are much better and faithfull than Ufotable ones.

Watch all in release order: F/SN, UBW MOVIE, F/Z, UBW TV and HF and juzge by yourself.

Also i dont read responses to this, my time it's more valuable that discussing with Ufotards, sadly are many.

Kinda lose interest watching FSN with mc design and plot like this XD...
May 12, 2018 4:28 PM
Jan 2017
Fate zero and fate ubw (serie)in any order. Later fate heaven's feel (trilogy).
May 12, 2018 4:29 PM

Aug 2014
Ventus_S said:
Tsuguni said:

Kinda lose interest watching FSN with mc design and plot like this XD...

the archer class is really made up of archers tho

I mean yeah deen is bad but you can make the argument of poorly phrased subtitles for ufotable as well so
InsertanamehereMay 12, 2018 4:35 PM
May 13, 2018 12:19 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

Got a lot of answers here, but you can also refer to the pinned thread for more generalized answers since this question comes up a lot in duplicate threads. Speaking of which,

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2751 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.