Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2018 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, this new season gave me a feeling of nostolgia.

It felt like an episode of fresh air with some of the characters from the original series back. Seems like a new beginning for the story but seeing Kai and Aichi in this again really gave me a great feeling for rest of the season.
May 5, 2018 10:26 AM

Jun 2010
I didn't know I missed these characters until I saw them again, I'm very hyped for this new vanguard and I can't wait to see Ren back!
May 5, 2018 12:40 PM
Sep 2015
No matter how many things have changed in the new adaptation of Vanguard, there's still no heterosexual explanation for this
May 5, 2018 1:21 PM

Oct 2007
So what is this? A remake of the original series? As much as I love Aichi and Kai... why?
May 5, 2018 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Kuromii said:
So what is this? A remake of the original series? As much as I love Aichi and Kai... why?

It's a remake but will also do a lot quite differently. It will be closer to the manga
May 5, 2018 1:25 PM

Oct 2007
fullmetal-ghoul said:
Kuromii said:

It's a remake but will also do a lot quite differently. It will be closer to the manga

Thank you, I'll definitely watch it :)
May 5, 2018 1:44 PM

Feb 2008
Character design looks a bit odd when Aichi was standing at class at least for me, but they have switch OSTs so I guess quality have changed quite a lot thought I wouldn't mind remake and going more close to manga.

*Never read manga but that how usually anime should be, thought it sometimes wouldn't be bad having anime original

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 5, 2018 1:53 PM

Nov 2009
I smiled the whole time watching that, looking forward to watching Kai/Aichi duke it out for the first time all over again.
May 5, 2018 2:39 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, this episode was worth the month long wait. The OP/ED was top notch and I really liked how in-depth the card game rules were explained. They focused more on the mechanics of the game rather than the imagination part which is what G lacked. I'm excited when they introduce Imaginary Gift in the next episode

The OST was especially on point. It was like the old series combined with G's theme and sounded really card game like.

I also like how they added seiyuu's for Kai and Aichi's younger selves. I wouldn't mind them being the same as their grown up versions but it was a nice touch.

I can't wait for the next episode
May 5, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty good but I like the opening of the 2011 version better, Jam Project is just too good

May 5, 2018 11:22 PM

Apr 2018
Loving the special effects and the animation. I never got to finish the manga so this woukd explain tons. I'm lookingn forwards to see more Ibuki!!
May 5, 2018 11:33 PM
Sep 2015
Inferno_Blaze said:

Wait didn't the original anime come first before the manga?

My speculation is that they (Bushiroad) realize they can't go on with Chrono generation, and having even newer generation (I guess a trio of Taiyou, Hiroki and Nao) will put their franchise at risk. So they take advantage of the fact that the manga version of any card game or toy product are moderately to severely different from anime version even though they use the same group of characters (in contrast to shounen or light novel adaptation that trying to be close to the source as much as possible).
May 6, 2018 5:00 AM

Mar 2012
I'm excited to see how this reboot is done compared to the original. So far, quite a stellar start. Feels good to be excited to see Vanguard episodes again; felt like an utter drag for me to get through most of the G series.

I'm especially excited that we're getting a clean slate with the characters. Misaki was my favorite character, but Legion Mate and onward really left quite a stain on her character since she was handled absolutely terribly. Have much higher hopes here.
May 6, 2018 5:48 AM

Dec 2015
when will this anime end ??my god they said G is the last , now this come up as a remake ,no i dont watch this so just ignore me
May 6, 2018 9:40 AM

Aug 2013
I haven't watched the first season since a little after it aired, but I was getting bombarded with nostalgia. I'm not over the moon with Aichi's character design, but everyone else looks fine enough, and the animation in general as improved quite a bit. I'll keep watching, mostly to see what different directions this remake choses to go.
May 6, 2018 3:04 PM

Oct 2008
I was waiting so bad for this moment... Finally I can watch Kai&Aichi as MC back again and so gay as always! ** I really missed them TT_TT

Never read the manga, so I'm curious to find out the differences with 2011 vers.
"AI WA QUARTETNIGHT!"
May 6, 2018 3:06 PM

Jul 2017
Popped up in my recomended list on Youtube. Didn't think the official channel would upload the series for free. I had heard about it before but wasn't too interested. This first episode though was pretty good and I will definitely watch some more.
And if the game interests me I will probably get a starter deck as well, I'm alsways in the lookout for a new children's card game to play!

Even if you kill me, even if you kill anyone, even if you reset science… There’s always an idiot who will try anything, and the shiny monkeys will inevitably create a technological civilization.

May 6, 2018 4:24 PM

Mar 2016
I don't remember a whole lot from the previous series, since I stopped watching when the red haired guy was the main protagonist of the new gen.
But I do remember having watched the dub (didn't know original versions existed at the time) and actually really liking Aichi's character development and Toshiki's cool, stoic demeanor.
So hopefully this stirs up some memories, and if not, at least I can actually enjoy a card game series again since Ygo Arc V, right?
May 6, 2018 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

It felt like an episode of fresh air with some of the characters from the original series back. Seems like a new beginning for the story but seeing Kai and Aichi in this again really gave me a great feeling for rest of the season.

Do I have to watch anything else before watching this
May 7, 2018 2:04 AM

Oct 2007
I really love the character designs and how the series feels a fair bit more mature this time round. Morikawa being a genuine bully and not just a side character idiot stereotype is quite interesting.
May 7, 2018 11:26 AM

Sep 2013
Focusing on achi's shyness and morikawa being a jerk, atleast it sets things up.
Unurag said:

No, it's a reboot that follows the manga.
May 8, 2018 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
Unurag said:
Stark700 said:

You don't, but I recommend watching season 1 of the original regardless. It's amazing and I doubt this will reach the same heights
May 8, 2018 12:48 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
phantomfandom said:
No matter how many things have changed in the new adaptation of Vanguard, there's still no heterosexual explanation for this

Thank you so much.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

May 26, 2018 10:29 PM

May 2018
It's funny I watched the original 1 or 2 years ago. Never expected it to be remade.
Nov 19, 2018 8:25 PM

Jul 2016
Watched Vanguard around when it first came out and I loved it back then (I still do), till G. I dropped the series mid-way into G and never really bothered to continue watching.

But I am back to the series and this one looks promising! Pretty similar to the first episode in structure with some minor differences. I expect a major turn in the story later down the road though.

Very nostalgic episode overall! :) Will take time to get used to the new VA

7/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018) Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

3 by Nemesis_Ranka »»
Mar 26, 2020 7:02 PM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018) Episode 33 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

3 by Nemesis_Ranka »»
Mar 26, 2020 6:21 PM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

1 by Nemesis_Ranka »»
Mar 26, 2020 5:59 PM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018) Episode 29 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2018

2 by Nemesis_Ranka »»
Mar 25, 2020 5:35 PM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018) Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

2 by Nemesis_Ranka »»
Mar 24, 2020 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.