Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2018 4:31 AM

Sep 2011
frozenpandaman said:

HereticHunter said:
Its good to see a non CGI transformation once in a while

A lot of the plane scenes are CGI, but in post-processing are made to look like they aren't – and they do a good job of it.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/04/17/dragon-pilot-hisone-masotan-production-notes-01/
I think for some of the planes they traced the cgi model like how gundam unicorn did. Kind of wish more shows did that but I also kind of feel like it'd be a bit disrespectful to the cgi animators.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 22, 2018 4:59 AM

Jul 2015
I love the nonsense and randomness of this. We need more stories that just do whatever they feel like. Anyway, new dude came in with the ability to touch girls and figure out their sizes at a glance... Kaizaki's attempt at bullying were too simple, shes gotta be more direct with it or it won't work against the kind and dense brick wall that is Amakasu, but she got some good character development through all of this, so that's good. Also those costumes... This was a good episode.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 22, 2018 5:31 AM
Feb 2018
Ravinous said:
Heiach said:

The chosen miku? I thought he said miku because that's who that commander guy was talking to at the time. "She's the chosen, Jeff" etc..

Miku = shrine maiden

Given the backstory of the dragons hiding and the classic connection between dragons and maidens, it falls into place quite nicely.

Oh right thank you.. shame they didn't translate it to Shrine Maiden.. I literally thought the guy he was talking to was called Miku.
Apr 22, 2018 6:45 AM

Feb 2016
frozenpandaman said:

HereticHunter said:

A lot of the plane scenes are CGI, but in post-processing are made to look like they aren't – and they do a good job of it.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/04/17/dragon-pilot-hisone-masotan-production-notes-01/

Yeah, I'm aware the planes are CGI but they look great, I was talking about the specific GIF I shared here
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 22, 2018 6:53 AM

Mar 2008
HereticHunter said:
I was talking about the specific GIF I shared here

OK.

It didn't display for me, so I didn't get that you were talking about the specific scene:

Heiach said:
I literally thought the guy he was talking to was called Miku.

It said miko, not miku, though… plus it was all lowercase, i.e. not starting with a capital letter like a name would have had. The translation was fine. :)
Apr 22, 2018 6:56 AM

Feb 2016
frozenpandaman said:
HereticHunter said:
I was talking about the specific GIF I shared here

OK.

It didn't display for me, so I didn't get that you were talking about the specific scene:

oh sorry, I guess I shared the gif wrongly. It's the part where Masotan found the girl who deserted with a bike.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 22, 2018 7:48 AM

Aug 2016
JizzyHitler said:
Wow this episode was actually better than the first, the comedy was just toally on point, the misunderstanding from hisone about the bullying was probably the most entertaining gag this season so far, I love her rudeness as a result of her rants.

Why wont people just give this show a chance, its got so much heart and soul yet its completely drowned out by every other show this season

Well most people just watched hyped seasonsals, and this one isen't really hyped + it doesen't look like somthing that makes every one go damn i need to watch this.

I'm simply not liking this so far, it's not necessarily terrible but it doesen't do anything particularly well either.

That said i did laugh when the misunderstanding happend, so i can see myself enjoying this to some extent if there are more funny interactions like that.
Apr 22, 2018 9:42 AM
Jul 2016
frozenpandaman said:
Atomsk102 said:
We now have a better indication of how big of an aviation fanboy the author of the series is.

Well, considering the entire premise, yes… but just a note that there are two authors working on the show, afaik (and Okada is a woman; Higuchi is a man). :)

HereticHunter said:

Ravinous said:

Miku = shrine maiden

It's miko (as BlackstarFallen said), not miku.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miko

Oh, yeah. Typo on my part. I posted that really late. :P
Apr 22, 2018 10:42 AM

Feb 2017
frozenpandaman said:

The website answers all.

And Masotan (aka F-15J) is with Hisone (and maybe later Nao…?!) in Gifu.

http://hisomaso.com/#chara

Thanks.

Also I thought this guy looked goofy but now I'm sure

"Features: Huge body, swallows everything, Easy going." I bet it gives the poor pilot a hard time. :D
Apr 22, 2018 11:57 AM

Mar 2008
Effulgence said:
I'm simply not liking this so far, it's not necessarily terrible but it doesen't do anything particularly well either.

I mean, it's fine if it's not your style or whatever, but it's not like it's somehow *objectively* bad at what it's doing – it has superb animation and character design, a unique premise, pretty great music so far, a whole ton of big names with repeated industry + creative successes in the past working on many different aspects of it...
Apr 22, 2018 12:38 PM

Aug 2016
frozenpandaman said:
Effulgence said:

I mean, it's fine if it's not your style or whatever, but it's not like it's somehow *objectively* bad at what it's doing – it has superb animation and character design, a unique premise, pretty great music so far, a whole ton of big names with repeated industry + creative successes in the past working on many different aspects of it...

I diden't state that it was objectively bad or did i?
I said that i am not enjoying this aka a opinion.

See you think it's great but that doesen't make it objectivly good either.
I think it has a bad character desgin and premise, does that make it a fact? No it means it's debatable and hence why discussion threads exist.

Btw if i don't like what i'm seeing then a bunch of big name tags won't change that.
Apr 22, 2018 2:29 PM

Apr 2016
Holy fuck how many fetishes are in this show

The show itself is alright I guess, but the ED is a real banger.
Apr 23, 2018 1:39 AM
Sep 2017
Am i the only one who has a boner after the Ending???

Apr 23, 2018 4:10 AM

Mar 2014
Effulgence said:

I think it has a bad character desgin and premise, does that make it a fact? No it means it's debatable and hence why discussion threads exist.

Purely out of curiosity, what makes a good character design?
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Apr 23, 2018 4:45 AM

Aug 2016
zunderdog24 said:
Effulgence said:

There is no such thing as this makes it good or this makes it bad.
Sure there is pure technical stuff that is either good or badly done like Outlining ect but i have no knowledge on that.
I'm just thinking that aesthetically they look ugly (imo).
EffulgenceApr 23, 2018 4:50 AM
Apr 23, 2018 8:44 AM
Nov 2016
Not really feeling this anime. It's not terrible, but I also am not finding it interesting so far. I'm going to drop it for now. If I hear better things about it in the future I might start rewatching it if it's not too long.
SnackieChanApr 27, 2018 9:51 PM
Apr 23, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2011
OTF
Oh tee eff.
Oh too foo.
Oh tou fu. Otofu.

Loved that part and i've rewinded it an unhealthy number of times now. Misaki Kuno is so good.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 23, 2018 11:51 AM

Jun 2017
frozenpandaman said:
Luxeraph said:
if I had to guess the red dragon that turns into a blue plane is the short hair girl, the reconnaissance one is the girl with the akward expression and the cargo is the big gal..

The website answers all.

And Masotan (aka F-15J) is with Hisone (and maybe later Nao…?!) in Gifu.

http://hisomaso.com/#chara

I wonder if Nao will pilot, she's the only not wearing a suit in the ED and she's on the ground while the planes fly in the OP.
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
Apr 23, 2018 3:27 PM

Mar 2008
zunderdog24 said:
Effulgence said:

Costume design, fitting & unique poses and gestures, verbal or physical tics, speech habits and mannerisms (dialects, sociolects, idiolects, and how these are portayed and presented and for what reasons), well-researched or inspired creature design (why are X's wings triangular and how does this show importance? Is color used in meaningful ways? How is non-human emotion or expression portrayed – facial expressions, body language, verbally?) &c &c.

Good character design is addressing/exploring or not overlooking questions like this, and finding ways to convey this information, overtly or not, to the viewer.

Effulgence said:

It's stylized, and not just a typical "anime style," of course. I take it you also think Ping Pong The Animation looks ugly? :)
Apr 23, 2018 5:10 PM

Aug 2016
frozenpandaman said:
zunderdog24 said:

Costume design, fitting & unique poses and gestures, verbal or physical tics, speech habits and mannerisms (dialects, sociolects, idiolects, and how these are portayed and presented and for what reasons), well-researched or inspired creature design (why are X's wings triangular and how does this show importance? Is color used in meaningful ways? How is non-human emotion or expression portrayed – facial expressions, body language, verbally?) &c &c.

Good character design is addressing/exploring or not overlooking questions like this, and finding ways to convey this information, overtly or not, to the viewer.

Effulgence said:

It's stylized, and not just a typical "anime style," of course. I take it you also think Ping Pong The Animation looks ugly? :)

They might or might not do well what you stated however like with tattoos for example you can be correct on the outlining, shading ect but that doesen't necessarily mean you think it's pretty. Like i said i have no knowledge on the technicalities, i just don't like how they look.

Now that's just making assumptions for no good reason.
Why would i dislike how Ping Pong looks just because i disliked somthing that looks completely different?
No i don't dislike somthing just because it's not a "normal' "anime style"
Just to give a few examples i liked how Princess Kaguya, Kemonozume and also Ping Pong looks there is more but those are the first ones i can think of.
EffulgenceApr 23, 2018 5:15 PM
Apr 24, 2018 10:56 AM
Apr 2017
dancing in broken france
Apr 26, 2018 5:13 AM
Oct 2007
Was Nao reading the Princess Tutu manga?
Apr 26, 2018 6:06 AM

Mar 2008
Made an English version of the Episode 2 retrospective illustration:

Original Japanese version from the Twitter and website: https://twitter.com/hisomaso_anime/status/988945697079783426

zeroryoko1974 said:
Was Nao reading the Princess Tutu manga?

No, it was just made up, pretty sure. The illustration above implies/jokes about it being Shōjo Friend though.
frozenpandamanApr 26, 2018 6:14 AM
Apr 26, 2018 10:53 AM

Feb 2011
FMmatron said:
... I already took a liking to the characters. Their simple design and personalities, especially Hisones are just so charming.
I have to add that it took me a while to notice what the character design reminded me of. Nichijou had a similar vibe to it as well. Of course, this is a military setting as opposed to a school setting. Instead of a talking cat, we get pilotable dragons that transform into jets. All we need is a "child genius that acts her age"-like character and we're set. Then again, Nao fits half that description.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 26, 2018 11:24 PM

Mar 2009
Episode wasn't as good as the first. Can't stand that bully girl.

Animation was dynamic and expressive as always.
Apr 27, 2018 8:35 PM

Apr 2015
Shame cos the producers are doing an ace job, but the characters and subject matter really ain't interesting to me at all.
May 14, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2014
great ep and that ed was 2 good i like the op also but the ed is just amazing

with that said am looking forward to seeing all those other characters to show up
"one step at a time"
May 16, 2018 9:34 AM

Jun 2015
France Gall song in an anime, huh
Sep 26, 2018 9:30 AM

May 2012
Really fun episode and character development I must say! Quite love where this series is going!
Sep 29, 2018 7:38 AM
Jul 2015
I'm surprised no one has talked about the other bully this episode. Kaizake's bully endings up being funny because she keeps getting nat 1s. Like her destroying those uniforms wouldn't have been any skin off Hisone's nose.

But the designer's crap is only acknowledged by Hisone. What the crap is up with him. They don't need that asshole. They certainly don't need to just let him do whatever he wants. There also seems to be a lot of sexism on that base, in general. Guess I'll have to see if the show does anything with that. But i haven't heard anything along those lines. Before anyone complains about me bringing politics into this, the show did that.
Nov 24, 2018 2:40 PM

Nov 2013
How Hisone and Masotan bonded in this episode was nice.

Nao really needs to take a chill pill. Her attempts at bullying only backfired for her. Her tendency to disobedience makes me wonder how she managed to get this position in the first place. Nepotism maybe.

Hisone is a bit to sweet-tempered.

You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 26, 2019 1:09 AM

May 2015
Cool episode. That ED is pure awesomeness. However, I went to YT and found that it is a cover. They should have used the original like JoJo does with the international songs. It sounds 100 times better.
May 11, 2019 12:04 AM

Jul 2016
Nao being the drama queen was quite a pain to watch but at least, the resolution of the conflict, while being convenient, made up for it in this episode.

On the other hand, I'm liking Hisone's personality so far. Especially her antics, which I find to be rather charming.

Very cute ED by the way.
Sep 11, 2019 3:30 PM

Jun 2014
This is some pretentious garbage. Really cool concept and overall art style that's completely ruined by annoying trashy characters and the story is a fucking joke.

dropped 1/10
alpha_shadowSep 11, 2019 4:32 PM
:3
Oct 7, 2019 5:56 PM

Feb 2012
Kaizaki Nao, the show's Asuka...

Hmm, so if we recall in the previous episode, Dragons have been disguised for a long time, the fairly old thing inside Masotan's stomach with his name on it, should be connected along with Hisone potentially being a miko.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 30, 2020 5:18 AM

Jan 2011
That ED is pretty good.
Aug 3, 2020 8:10 AM

Oct 2010
the butchered french from the ed sounds unexpectedly ok
I only watch it for the ecchi
Nov 11, 2020 7:00 PM
Dec 2018
The 1 million yen thing is incredibly dumb, I hope it's not a real rule in Japan, it would be absurd.
Apr 7, 2021 5:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Catalano said:
the butchered french from the ed sounds unexpectedly ok
I don't even understand some of the words and I'm french lol, but yeah they chose a great one, too bad they did a cover and not just keep the original one which is way better
Jul 27, 2023 1:29 AM

Sep 2018
Damn, this is pretty good. Doesn't take itself too seriously and is a lot funnier than what I was anticipating. Unique premise as well, a premise that would generally be far more serious in nature.
Mar 2, 4:27 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Can't bring myself to enjoy this anime, regardless of how artistic or introspective it tries to be.
>disgusting recurring theme of being vored and vomited
>forced fanservice that simply doesn't work because of the character (she's not sexy at all) and the unconventional, simplistic artstyle (badly pronounced shapes, very little effort put into shading)
>speaking of, I'm not a fan of that artstyle
>french ending song that makes me wanna puke
>main character gets annoying, as she alternates between 2 modes: paralyzed with fear, and annoyingly autistically overtalkative
BigBoyAdvanceMar 3, 1:29 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 8 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

5 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 15, 5:41 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 9 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

10 by Fuwa_san »»
Jan 8, 7:35 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

30 by hikari_kuroo »»
Nov 25, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 24, 2018

30 by L01MK »»
Jun 29, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2018

43 by quentintarantado »»
May 21, 2023 12:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.