Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 21, 2018 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LLENN and Pito's character chemistry is okay I guess. They're such different characters though so it's taking me some time to accept them. Personally, I think Karen's real life character is much more appealing than her in-game character. She should just be what she is.

The episode changes between real life segments and in-game moments so I guess there's going to be that type of transition for rest of the season. Action slowed down a lot more this episode although there's still info dump and training. LLENN's P90 is a surprisingly decent weapon when used well.
Apr 21, 2018 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
BOB in group tag? Just because one duet play. SJ (group BOB) exclusively in Japan. The lady wanting short girl to participate replacing her because of her friend's wedding.

Wanting to berserk to the max within the game to escape from the real world?

There's also live concert for the favorite singer... Failed to get the ticket, so she had to join it. Learning about SJ. That's when she met that tall guy she teams up with.

Practicing, or rather getting to know their skills.

Writing up fan letters to her favorite singer.

Knife was given and she was taught how to use it.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 21, 2018 10:02 AM

Apr 2016
Girl you're about to enter battle royale mode, there is only one thing you can do with that knife ... yes, you will murder people.

I don't know, but i'm actually enjoying this SAO, i like the MC characters and i like the irl tall MC even more lol.

Also
Apr 21, 2018 10:09 AM

Oct 2016
Not a huge fan of this episode since the action slowed down considerably. Also goddamn LLENN, you're beautiful irl. Why want to be a loli instead of a beauty?
'Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people'
Apr 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Dec 2016
Only fun thing in this episode ? (forget about this i'm dumb sometimes)
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Apr 21, 2018 10:28 AM

Sep 2015
Really nice episode. I bet Pito is the singer she's writing to and M is either her brother or bodyguard.
Apr 21, 2018 10:33 AM

Dec 2015
Well, with this episode it's basically guaranteed that this Kanzaki Elsa is Pito.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 21, 2018 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
Got to know the rules of the battle royale game and how it works. Also got to see how Karen met M. I prefer her in real life than her in-game character, it's more appealing. She wrote a nice letter to the singer.
Apr 21, 2018 10:38 AM

Feb 2016
Another good episode.

So did the author write himself into the story? And did he get to voice that character? I heard he's a gun nut, so that would be pretty cool.
Apr 21, 2018 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
So that's how she got in the jam, cool.
Apr 21, 2018 10:48 AM
Sep 2016
dash5611 said:
Another good episode.

So did the author write himself into the story? And did he get to voice that character? I heard he's a gun nut, so that would be pretty cool.

That talk about the gun nut author was some meta ish .
Lol.. That was nice
1.1.Six
Apr 21, 2018 10:49 AM
Sep 2016
The writing's freaking great on this one damn.
1.1.Six
Apr 21, 2018 10:50 AM

Dec 2014
Nice episode again. I'm quite liking this SAO series.

We get to learn the rules of the BOB and how LLENN met M-san. That said, I'm with the other people up here, I prefer Karen to LLENN. If only she didn't have that height complex right?

I'm kinda amused at how M was explaining to LLENN on how to use the knife and talking about slicing the artery and stuff but remember this is a game. XD
Apr 21, 2018 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty much a build up episode,but good that they took their time to drop some infos about the rules,tactics etc. and show some trainings session.I thought the letter part was cute.

Looking forward to the Squad Jam.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2018 11:03 AM
Aug 2017
Lelouch0202 said:

We get to learn the rules of the BOB and how LLENN met M-san. That said, I'm with the other people up here, I prefer Karen to LLENN. If only she didn't have that height complex right?

I'm kinda amused at how M was explaining to LLENN on how to use the knife and talking about slicing the artery and stuff but remember this is a game. XD
vr games in 2026 are probably very R E A L I S T I C
Apr 21, 2018 11:08 AM

Jun 2014
So now we know how LLENN met M and how they ended up forming a team for the Squad Jam. It's a shame Pito can't participate with them. Also, I'm pretty sure Pito in real life is Elsa Kanzaki. If that's the case, I would love to see LLENN's reaction to that.

Now that all the info-dumping is out of the way, it's time to get into the action. That has always been SAO's strong suit.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 21, 2018 11:13 AM
Jan 2013
FYI the 50 years old novelist who sponsored Squad Jam is a reference to Sigsawa, Keiichi, the author of the novels. Did anyone else get the reference?
Apr 21, 2018 11:15 AM

Jul 2017
Average episode. Still feels too slow and the characters aren't that good but I love different the atmospheres feel from this show and the main series and I much prefer this one.
Apr 21, 2018 11:22 AM

Apr 2017
So that's how he revealed that he had a gun fetish.. Typical Sigsawa

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 21, 2018 11:24 AM

Feb 2016
JudoJD said:
That talk about the gun nut author was some meta ish .
Lol.. That was nice

Yeah I started cracking up at that part.

LoneWolf97 said:
FYI the 50 years old novelist who sponsored Squad Jam is a reference to Sigsawa, Keiichi, the author of the novels. Did anyone else get the reference?

I love how his name is actually a gun:)

Apr 21, 2018 11:27 AM

Aug 2015
dash5611 said:
Another good episode.

yeah, I'm curious to know if it was actually him that voiced, uh, himself
Apr 21, 2018 11:42 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Llenn's idea of what squad jam was though was hillarious. Nice reference to Kirito and Sinon's teamup in SAO 2 there. To think that origin for squad jam was like that though. Love how the story alternates between before the squad jam and during it though. The only difference between SJ and BOB is just the matter of teams really. The line of succession for the squads though is interesting though. Makes sense that M would want to know what Llenn's made off first. The fan letter though was cute and really told Elsa Karen's own heartfelt words. An interesting episode that focused on introducing what squad jam was as well as Llenn's first meeting with her partner. M sure has a firm grasp of the vulnerable points on the human body.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2018 11:49 AM
Dec 2017
Just a theory, which I got by watching this episode. I haven't read the mangas.

Apr 21, 2018 11:50 AM

Dec 2017
pretty much obvious at this point that the singer girl is pito. also, who the fuck writes fan letters like that? "today i played cs:go and killed some nubs from p50, i really like the recoil of that gun and my sticker of dickbutt on it"

and she said "it hurts" when pito patted her on the shoulders, then what is the feeling of getting shot? u can feel pain in this game? mmmm, sadisctic
Apr 21, 2018 11:56 AM

May 2015
One thing I don't like about watching too much anime is that sometimes I can see those clearly visible 'routes'
Apr 21, 2018 12:12 PM

Jul 2015
This whole battle royale theyre talking about sounds closer to ffa with no respawning than a battle royale. Real life LLENN is hot af. Pito still #1 tho. Can't get enough of her personality
Apr 21, 2018 12:16 PM

Jan 2017
This episode wasn't packed with much action, but it was alright since we got some info surrounding the characters -albeit not much.
But they did give us a low down of the tournament.
All in all, a nice episode; hopefully, they put us right back in the thick of it next week.

The singer and Pito look similar, so I guess Pito is the singer in real life. And if that's the case M would probably be a bodyguard of some sort (considering how knowledgeable he is regarding weaponry and weapon handling -ex military or something, the common tropes of a bodyguard that is employed to protect VIPs etc.)
Apr 21, 2018 12:17 PM

Nov 2016
Karen is a beautiful lad. I like her more than in-game. There wasn't many action in this episode, was more of an informative and knowing more about Squad Jam.

That fan-letter was alright. I liked the song in the background. I have a feeling that singer is Pito. Not sure what to feel about LLENN and Pito chemistry.

M was introduced and he knows a lot of things about guns and tactics. I like his relation with LLENN , a big guy with a loli lmao. Her first Squad Jam is about to start. I expect some action next week.
NoloranApr 21, 2018 12:22 PM
Apr 21, 2018 12:20 PM

Jan 2018
And there goes another one on my dropped list this is the 3rd one of this season well whatever.
Apr 21, 2018 12:23 PM
Apr 2016
managMent said:
Just a theory, which I got by watching this episode. I haven't read the mangas.

I have also thought about it, and it could be possible, since she said she has "friend's birthday" on the date of Squad Jam, and that is when the concert of Elsa Kanzaki was taking place. So... coincidences are not coincidental?
OR, maybe, M is Elsa Kanzaki and that would be a di-sas-tah. But I am most interested in the M persona. He said he (would) might withdraw if Karen got wrecked, coupled with the first episode... I think he refuses to kill people-players, and is simply enjoying the whole virtual combat analyzing and gun universe.
Re:formed
Apr 21, 2018 12:25 PM
Apr 2016
eractnodi said:
Lelouch0202 said:

vr games in 2026 are probably very R E A L I S T I C

They would be a reality by 2026, but on the level with SAO technology? Complete control over body and feelings via mind in an alternate reality? That would be a breakthrough.
Apr 21, 2018 12:42 PM

Sep 2016
"Pito-san, do you have a grudge against the author?"

He's obsessed with guns. Not rapey bad guys. Lay off him LLENN. He didn't do nuthin'.
onetruejafarApr 21, 2018 12:56 PM
Ravioli ravioli, Kirito will not touch the loli.
Apr 21, 2018 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
Am I the only person that think Pito might be Elsa? She's busy during the tournament and Elsa so happens to be performing that day too.
Apr 21, 2018 12:52 PM

Aug 2013
Pito mystery deepens. Also...random side note: 100% tall women are good civilization.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 21, 2018 12:57 PM
Apr 2016
DedPanda said:
Pito mystery deepens. Also...random side note: 100% tall women are good civilization.

The only kind of women endowed by nature with great genes. I will be taking that, hopefully.
Apr 21, 2018 12:57 PM

Apr 2012
Only I noticed that at the beginning of the episode the author parodied himself?
Apr 21, 2018 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
zcv45 said:
Am I the only person that think Pito might be Elsa? She's busy during the tournament and Elsa so happens to be performing that day too.

It totally looked like this to me, and more with all the card writing thing with Karen explaining how she got to play the game, it could totally be a bait considering the author behind this tho.
Apr 21, 2018 1:16 PM

Sep 2016
MetaThPr4h said:
zcv45 said:

It totally looked like this to me, and more with all the card writing thing with Karen explaining how she got to play the game, it could totally be a bait considering the author behind this tho.

Apr 21, 2018 1:19 PM

Aug 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
DedPanda said:

The only kind of women endowed by nature with great genes. I will be taking that, hopefully.

I see you are a person of quality tastes.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 21, 2018 1:33 PM

Aug 2016
huh next episode is called "death game", wonder what that means..

バカ
I'm not smart, I just wear glasses
"Anime is just Japanese Cartoons, Cartoons are just Western Anime"
☁ н є ѕ ι т α т ι σ и ☁
Apr 21, 2018 1:33 PM

Nov 2017
Karen is so cute. Cant wait for next eps.

Apr 21, 2018 1:39 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Zaigham_69 said:
Not a huge fan of this episode since the action slowed down considerably. Also goddamn LLENN, you're beautiful irl. Why want to be a loli instead of a beauty?

I ask myself this every time her "real life "character comes on screen. Anime logic. I suppose the creepier otaku out there prefer a vertically challenged childlike character.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 21, 2018 1:44 PM
Apr 2016
Farabeuf said:
Zaigham_69 said:

I ask myself this every time her "real life "character comes on screen. Anime logic. I suppose the creepier otaku out there prefer a vertically challenged childlike character.

You might be overlooking the reality context, in which individual STANDS OUT in a society, in which at least physically the individual is a minority (self/other). And so on for 20 years. Yes, of course it all sounds stupid, but it happens just like that. In a stupid way, when there is seemingly no conflict, yet people are afraid to take the first step in either direction. This could have been an autobiography, except the fact that actual tall girls get picked out to become models or some unneeded crap like idols, in Japan. Otherwise, there is no fault in the premise, and the message is being shaped nicely.
Apr 21, 2018 1:45 PM
Apr 2016
DedPanda said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Can't help it, got to make sure offspings are not gnomes.
Apr 21, 2018 1:53 PM

Aug 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
DedPanda said:

Can't help it, got to make sure offspings are not gnomes.

A comrade indeed. *nods*
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 21, 2018 1:58 PM

Aug 2015
It's kinda cool but dumb that the author took advantage of how Reki Kawahara's dumbass would create a shooter game world without a team-style tournament in order to include the sponsor character.
Swagernator said:
Girl you're about to enter battle royale mode, there is only one thing you can do with that knife ... yes, you will murder people.

I don't know, but i'm actually enjoying this SAO, i like the MC characters and i like the irl tall MC even more lol.

Also

I'm guessing the sponsor character is M-san. It makes sense to introduce him so he can appear later.
Apr 21, 2018 2:03 PM
Jul 2016
The poor 4th wall was broken into a million pieces and then had fireworks set off on top of its debris... it was awesome.

And this anime still keeps patching every problem the ln had...

Can't wait for the action to resume next week!
Apr 21, 2018 2:03 PM
Mar 2017
Somebody can explain me how a Japanese could send a message to the company that manages GGO and I get them to include a new kind of tournament. but the Japanese GOVERNMENT "could not" contact the administrators to solve a POSSIBLE CASE OF HOMICIDE ??

"The two final players formed pairs." sHe made reference to Sinon and Kirito, is not it?

The singer is taking such relevance in the story that I would not be surprised if in the end she is Pito-san in real life
and M-san maybe his bodyguard

PD: Google translator, I speak Spanish

FireCrauterApr 21, 2018 2:48 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Apr 21, 2018 2:06 PM

Sep 2009
Farabeuf said:
Zaigham_69 said:

183 santimeters is quite tall for a girl even by European standards and in Japan 170+ sm is already considered tall even for men. Yes, otaku, like cute girls, but it has nothing to do with this case. She stands out to much and she has all the reason to have a complex.

Also, considering how Pito spoke about SJ sponsor, Sigsawa is not a stranger to self-irony. Also, the charecters look in the anime was even modeled from him.
Nachtwandler_21Apr 21, 2018 3:21 PM
Apr 21, 2018 2:46 PM

Dec 2016
Pito is probably talking about Kirito & Sinon there at the start.

I see so it was Pito who got LLENN & M as a team.

You can tell how much of a combat expert M is just by watching him train M, all those drills and exercises were very useful.

I actually like taller girls, I'm not tall myself, only 175-177 but for some reason I just like them being tall.

That was a really nice fan letter she wrote to Elsa Kanazaki.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

64 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 11 Discussion

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 10 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 9 Discussion

23 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 8 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 16, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.