Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 14, 2018 5:13 AM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
JizzyHitler said:
Natsuaki said:

Kyoto Animation had the majority of the show already finished when the season rolled around, so Netflix was most likely able to dub and sub most of it ahead of time. This is probably about quality assurance and being able to provide their audience with a dubbed version if wanted to make it more widely appealing to a more general audience.

Of course it'd be better if they compromised on that to be able to stream the show week for week while it airs like with Violet imo, so hopefully, they'll do that eventually. They must be aware of how much many people care about watching a show while it airs and while the discussion's still hot.
that cant be the reason cause bones is really well known for being mostly done or completely done before the show airs, its why hero academia release the dub simultaneously

I'm sure that was the reason for Violet Evergarden, bot to be fair, I'm much more familiar with how that studio is run as opposed to Bones.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 14, 2018 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
After waiting two days after the airing, I thought I would never have seen this anime series subtitled, but luckily I found at least the English ones. I do not hide my curiosity towards this anime series, after having seen the various PVs and after having read the synopsis. I admit that the style of drawing is quite special and even the story is not so similar to what I've seen so far. I await the subtitles in my native language to better comment on this first episode, however I was positively impressed by this anime series.

zachfoss said:
waiting for fansubs like:

This is what I will do too, given the slowness with which subtitles come out in my country, sometimes.
Apr 14, 2018 5:55 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm, that was okay. Was kind of hoping for something more though, not sure I'll continue this one
Apr 14, 2018 7:12 AM

Mar 2016
This is wholesome and underrated.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Apr 14, 2018 7:18 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic, loved the first episode. It left me with a pretty big smile on my face.

I like how the dragons are disguised plans, interesting theme.

Really liking Amakasu, I love her blabbering when she decides to go all out. XD
The maintenance guy is pretty cool too.

That said, OTF ftw! This Dragon is so awesome. I don't know how to describe, it's cool, mysterious but at the same time the OTF is kinda charming.

The part where her Mom sends Amakasu the text message telling her to do her best really got me.
The flight sequence was absolutely stunning, beautiful animation and visuals.

Bones don't disappoint, really looking forward to this now.
Apr 14, 2018 7:26 AM

Mar 2008
I'm me, can't speak for others but... this episode... "almost made me puke".
I can not not see the "propaganda" in this.
Anyone else?
Apr 14, 2018 7:30 AM

Mar 2008
Natsuaki said:

Kyoto Animation had the majority of the show already finished when the season rolled around, so Netflix was most likely able to dub and sub most of it ahead of time. This is probably about quality assurance and being able to provide their audience with a dubbed version if wanted to make it more widely appealing to a more general audience.

Of course it'd be better if they compromised on that to be able to stream the show week for week while it airs like with Violet imo, so hopefully, they'll do that eventually. They must be aware of how much many people care about watching a show while it airs and while the discussion's still hot.

Natsuaki said:

I'm sure that was the reason for Violet Evergarden, bot to be fair, I'm much more familiar with how that studio is run as opposed to Bones.

Violet Evergarden was simulcasted by Netflix in the majority of countries, dubbed in a bunch of languages. The dub was not the reason it wasn't simulcasted in the USA.
Apr 14, 2018 7:50 AM

Jun 2012
Most underrated show of the season right here. This first episode was amazing and it really blew me away.
Apr 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Mar 2016
This was pretty fun, I think the designs and art complimented the goofy feeling this gave off. Not sure what the kind of conflict there will be, or if I really want to see one, but this looks promising. Could do without the vore shit though, and the ranting will probably get tiresome.
syncrogazerApr 14, 2018 8:22 AM
Apr 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Jun 2016
Interesting first episode. The OST was very good.
Apr 14, 2018 9:14 AM

Sep 2008
"How to Train Your Dragon" Japanese version.

This was kinda cute, but I don't know how feel about this dragon as disguised plane... xD
but rest is pretty good, already love main girl and her talkativeness.
That "E.T" thing was so cute!
Dragon is so cute!
Comedy is good!
Can't wait to see more of this~~

Apr 14, 2018 10:48 AM

Sep 2017
What a super interesting concept. It's very strange that the dragons are unable to fly without a pilot. Especially considering it needs to literally sallow a person. I was thinking maybe it was because the dragons needed someone on their back to give them control or something, but I was completely wrong. I don't think they actually explained why it is they need a person inside them, but I'm curious if they will explain it.

Also, is every fighter jet ever just a dragon? That's pretty funny if that's the case.
Apr 14, 2018 11:00 AM
Nov 2016
This show might turn out to be the dark horse of the season.

I found the character designs to be interesting. Amakasu is a very deadpan character
Apr 14, 2018 11:16 AM

Feb 2011
I think the old lady is an ex-D-Pilot. Don't think she'll play much of a role though, even if it's the case. Umm, shouldn't this also fall under comedy? I know I didn't laugh myself, but I do believe the events that occurred where laughable. Amazing how much Netflix was discussed instead of the series itself. Let Netflix be Netflix. I have a completely different beef with them.
ReloadApr 14, 2018 11:19 AM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 14, 2018 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
A dragon transforming itself into a Jet... well if i haven't watched Henkei Shoujo i would probably had been surprised.

Ot: So an anime about trying out new things and finding yourself, i like it. Now lets see how it stand in comparison with other series of the same premises.
Apr 14, 2018 12:46 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
PaninaManina said:
Natsuaki said:

Natsuaki said:

Violet Evergarden was simulcasted by Netflix in the majority of countries, dubbed in a bunch of languages. The dub was not the reason it wasn't simulcasted in the USA.

I wasn't talking about the dub specifically, I meant the fact that the show was pretty much done in its entirety even before the time it started airing in Japan and thus, Netflix had enough time to provide it with a variety of subs and dubs in different languages.
As for why the American audience still had to wait for it on Netflix USA, I don't know and I can't think of a good reason. To be completely honest, I forgot about it until you mentioned it since I was able to watch it on my Netflix while it was airing.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 14, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2015
This might honestly be my favorite premiere of the season. I had a dumb smile on my face almost the entire time I was watching it. I liked how it slowly answered some of my questions ("How is anyone going to mistake that dragon for a plane? Oh, Foxtrot mode...", "How the hell is she on the phone inside of a dragon's stomach? Oh, the special helmet...") even though I probably would have forgiven it even if it hadn't. That's how much fun it was.

The scene where Masotan eats the flip phone and Mao gets outraged/thinks that's the only reason why Hisone got chosen reminded me of a certain scene from SpongeBob, which is always a plus.

What's up with this Minecraft camouflage though?

Also, I was almost certain this was a kids' show, but there was an awful lot of profanity in the Asenshi subs, and for some reason, it's airing at midnight. Unless things get skeevy/bloodier later on, Netflix could easily put this in their kids' section...whenever the hell they decide to get around to putting this up. Screw Netflix for killing off at least some of the discussion (for example, ANN won't be covering it in their preview guide) of one of the best shows of the season.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 14, 2018 3:03 PM

Dec 2015
Questionable start, breathtaking finish.

This season is already stacked, but this might very well take AotS for me. The premise is refreshing and incredibly unique. The old school, minimalist art-style and the choral soundtrack make me feel so nostalgic...and the flying scene gave me so many chills. I am also getting FLCL vibes from this show.

The animation is also beautiful and wonderfully expressive.

Amakasu is also a very fun character with a lot of potential to be developed well.

Looking forward to next episode to see where this story goes.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Apr 14, 2018 3:16 PM
Jun 2016
whelp I guess it's time for me to quit watching anime...I have officially seen everything.....and I thought girls turning into vehicles was weird....
Apr 14, 2018 4:28 PM

Apr 2016
Why is only one person mentioning the vore?! This show is going to turn into a fetishism cesspool, just you wait.

CatSoul said:

What's up with this Minecraft camouflage though?

That is digital camo. Militaries like it for some reason, and I think it is standard issue for wearing in urban areas (not for camo, lol).

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Apr 14, 2018 6:35 PM

Aug 2015
PaninaManina said:
Anyone else?

I don't think it's right to read it as Japanese nationalist propaganda. Mari Okada, the series composer, tends to produce very character driven stories, and this one is more likely to develop themes about finding one's identity and purpose in life.
Apr 14, 2018 6:36 PM

Jun 2016
Well, this is off to a strong start! Great lead, great interactions, great story flow, great audiovisuals and just a great time so far! I laughed pretty hard when Hisone was talking up the cat's belly only to end up in the dragon's! Ironic subversion at its best! Interested to see where this will go.
Apr 14, 2018 6:48 PM

Jul 2015
Well... that was an interesting start to the anime. I was wondering what kind of story this anime would have, it's just nonsense. Which is good, means I don't have to think too hard about whats going on. It's literally just throwing crap at the fan, and then taking pictures of the result... it's... it's actually pretty hilarious in a way I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 14, 2018 7:16 PM

Nov 2016
this show is legit
Apr 14, 2018 8:30 PM

Jun 2016
Okay, I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was a bit weary of this anime at first but I really had fun watching this.
The dragon vore was a bit... odd though.
Apr 14, 2018 8:57 PM
Jan 2018
I felt like a smiling idiot for half the episode. oh la la
Apr 14, 2018 9:37 PM

Mar 2008
TheKillerAngel said:
PaninaManina said:
Anyone else?

I don't think it's right to read it as Japanese nationalist propaganda. Mari Okada, the series composer, tends to produce very character driven stories, and this one is more likely to develop themes about finding one's identity and purpose in life.

I'm very aware that this call all be unintentional and coincidental, but in my can't I can't unseen.
And btw, I didn't really liked what I see in this episode, is like a (bad) Isekai, the way the protagonist end in that situation, the drama of not being understood and accepted by society... err... could be better.
Apr 14, 2018 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
interesting retro anime especially the setting. The art is really lovely and animation was simply flawless. I have a good feeling about this original anime.
Apr 14, 2018 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
A bit weird, but overall epic. Might be AOTS.
Apr 14, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2013
...I'm so confused
Apr 14, 2018 11:00 PM

Mar 2008
ProofByColor said:
It's very strange that the dragons are unable to fly without a pilot.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but this wasn't my understanding at all. It just said they're not allowed to, because their existence is a secret. But they physically could.

SkyDrop said:
interesting retro anime especially the setting.

Retro?
Apr 14, 2018 11:47 PM

Oct 2008
Another OMG! This show was so hilarious and at the same time too great!
This is a sure pick keeper for me!
5/5!

Apr 14, 2018 11:58 PM

Apr 2016
Holy crap, that was a fun ride. I'm getting pure old school Disney and Ghibli vibes out of this. Absolutely fantastic entertainment. In a season of so many hyped series, this opening episode was easily the best of them all.

Shame it seems to be underwatched.
Apr 15, 2018 4:06 AM

Jun 2017
I really really like that the MC exploded at the superior!
Finally a MC who says what we all want to say xD
Adorable series.
Apr 15, 2018 5:18 AM

Apr 2014
well that was enjoyable. the retro style is alright. its kinda like macross.

Apr 15, 2018 7:02 AM

Sep 2015
OOooh, I love our MC already, lol. Not only because she puts a nice contrast to another MC this season I quite like (Ren Amamiya), but also because I just love that she says everything she's thinking... it's just really refreshing =w=

Overall, this was a really damn enjoyable first episode... even if I (so far at least) can't get myself to even remotely like the other D-Pilot :|.
Apr 15, 2018 10:16 AM

Nov 2011
Wow! I have to change my mind, already there was a fansub in my mother tongue, so I could appreciate this first episode melgio. I do not think it will be just a fun series, but there will also be a lot of introspection, given that the project participates Okada Mari, I expect a lot since the animation studio is the Bones. I strongly await the next episode.
Apr 15, 2018 4:15 PM

Mar 2017
Best show of season and Netflix killed it. It's going to be the under watch and underappreciated show of the season.
Apr 16, 2018 12:16 AM

Jul 2017
PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON... OH FUCK HE ATE HER! I love Maso-tan's design, he looks so tame and Hisone's already protag of the season for me (if I am to exclude Okabe of Steins;Gate 0)
Apr 16, 2018 3:18 AM
Jul 2010
Probably the best premiere i saw this season. Very cool art style, unique and fun premise and characters are enjoyable. The question is what Mari Okada is going to do with this premise.
Apr 16, 2018 6:39 AM

Oct 2015
best art of animation. Very smooth
Apr 16, 2018 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
Brandon2149 said:
Best show of season and Netflix killed it. It's going to be the under watch and underappreciated show of the season.
netflix wont have anything to do with people not watching it, this show is doomed to fail no matter who got it.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 16, 2018 8:26 AM

Oct 2016
Having a bit of trouble thinking of shows this could be like. In style I think a bit of KyoAni's comedy shows like Nichijou or even Dragon Maid (hah) but this gives the same vibes I had for A Place Even Further Than the Universe so hopefully it pulls in all the viewers of those shows. I'm super curious where they're gonna take this one so I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure!
Apr 16, 2018 8:35 AM

Sep 2011
Finally got around to watching it, man this just hit all the right notes for me, I love the tone, i love the art style, i love the use of color, the flying scene were amazing, the comedy got genuine laughs out of me, i adore its comedic timing with its use of small cutaway scenes, I already really like hisone, i love how it wears being weird like a badge of honor.

Really just loved everything about the episode, I really hope more people give this series a shot, sadly it seems like this first episode isnt garnering that same enthusiasm it has been for me so I don't know of word of mouth will help. But if the quality keeps up its definitely going to be a show im shilling hard.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 16, 2018 1:06 PM

Feb 2016
I really wish Netflix didn't shit on anime like this...

That aside, this was so unique and creative on its own, the animation was great, the idea looks really interesting. I just hope the pace slow down as this episode was really fast. I have my hopes on for this one :3
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 16, 2018 1:10 PM

Nov 2012
Extremely fun and beautiful so far, but I just wish it was more accurate with military structure and standards of training. It just really irks me how they gave a first-term enlisted member the responsibilities an officer should have. Plus, why was there literally no security around Masotan's hangar? There's always mp's guarding security risk aircraft at my base lol. I dont even think she'll get paperwork for hi-jacking the OTF either.
Apr 16, 2018 1:34 PM

Mar 2018
That was so unexpectendly good. The visuals are great, the humor is great and the action is great! This will definitely be a contender for AOTS for me
Apr 16, 2018 5:15 PM

Mar 2016
Loved the first ep. Art style and character designs on point. Can't wait for the next one.
Apr 16, 2018 8:23 PM

Aug 2014
Loving the MC and all the silly faces. Good style, lively animations, and Kawamori design, this one's a possible dark horse.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 16, 2018 11:25 PM

Apr 2016
That was the most devianart fetish thing ever
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 8 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

5 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 15, 5:41 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2018

90 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 2, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 9 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

10 by Fuwa_san »»
Jan 8, 7:35 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

30 by hikari_kuroo »»
Nov 25, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 24, 2018

30 by L01MK »»
Jun 29, 2023 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.