Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 10, 2018 7:21 PM

Jun 2014
I hate to be a dick comparing everything to the original... but the battle was rather underwhelming compared to the original. The order in which things were shown kinda killed the 'chess board' / 'cat and mouse' feeling the battle was supposed to have.

Although, I will say, it's been a long time since I've last seen an anime that had real noses.
m-i-c-h-a-e-lApr 10, 2018 7:27 PM
Apr 10, 2018 8:39 PM
Jan 2017
chinese main character oooooooook
Apr 10, 2018 9:31 PM

Dec 2014
Oh damn, that was good. I like both sides for now, though I don't know their motivations or what's really at stake here, but that battle was very engaging to watch.
I need sleep.
Apr 11, 2018 12:20 AM

Nov 2012
I'm starting to think that political space battles just aren't my genre of choice, because I was personally incredibly bored by this. There were so many talking heads and I didn't care enough about any of the characters enough to really feel the stakes.

I'm not even certain who the good guys are supposed to be, and maybe that's part of the appeal because it's a realistic depiction of war set in a fantasy setting, but personally I need someone to root for or else I lose interest pretty quickly.
Apr 11, 2018 12:46 AM

Sep 2016
I keep on hearing Sougo since his VA is the same as Yang XD

Makes me think Yang is a sadist XD
Apr 11, 2018 12:48 AM

Aug 2015
Finally, best boy Yang appears

That syncs up way better than it has any right to lol
Apr 11, 2018 1:09 AM

Dec 2015
As long as they adapt everything it is fine. Thanks @LuceoEtzio for your post. I knew from Gineipaedia (a Wiki for Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu) that the OVA was split into 4 seasons. I think the 1st covered the first 2 novels and they mentioned there that some of the stuff was from the side story novels.

So I guess 1-cour + 3 movies will be enough for the first 2 novels. (1nd this series enough for the 1st novel.)

I did not know about the stuff from the 4th episode OVA appearing before the 3rd OVA episode. But the promotion - according to Gineipaedia was in the 4th episode and in the anime they hinted that it will continue with the empire.

Makes sense if this was that way in the novel.

I don't know about the Phezzan stuff the other guy complained about. But I guess would be okay to omit stuff now - even if the novel described it - if they brought it up later. Adaptions should try do make a good adaption which isn't always 1:1.

Sometimes it might be better to bring up stuff later. Especially if it is only a few seconds and no other chars on the FPA or Empire talk about it and the viewer would forget about it until it gets important later.

I thinkg I might order the 1st novel now. I'm a bit lazy and a slow reader but since they adaption is being as slow (which is good) as the old OVA even if I read 30 pages per week that should be enough and I can catch up with the anime and read before the next episode gets released.

(So far I only know all the old animated stuff. Haven't read the novels or the manga adaption.
The only thing I missed was the 1st movie which was chronologically before the OVA and 1st in release as well. But from the novels I think it only appeared later in side stories. That was technically a good think and I liked the order the old OVA did this - to show that story first in a movie.)
Apr 11, 2018 2:20 AM

Oct 2008
Another great episode!
The galactic fight became a battle of attrition!
Visuals are stunning! very good graphics! not to mention OSTs...
5/5.

Apr 11, 2018 2:44 AM

May 2012
I'm enjoying this more than original

I watched like ~50 episodes of the original, and I did not continue it

I like Yang Wenli here more. He looks younger and smarter than the original
Apr 11, 2018 3:37 AM
Nov 2011
Yang Wenli seems a bit more serious than the original version and I miss the voice actor, but all in all an accurate depiction.

All those beeps were annoying though, I don't remember the original version having "informative" beeps for movements and alerts or is that the FPA way of doing things?
Apr 11, 2018 5:29 AM

Oct 2014
I expected a better 3DCG. Quite discontent with the animating on second part of the battle. Bcs that screen projection no look like 2 snakes at all.

But it's still a pretty enjoyable episode. Despite the bishonen investation finally got to me and creeped me out -_-
Apr 11, 2018 5:49 AM

Jul 2015
@Luthandorius

The old OVA tried to introduce Phezzan as fast as possible. Rubinsky had a small appearance on Ep1. Ep5 gave more information about them.

I don't think it will make any difference at the moment. Ep5 events would be a nice stop point for the first season.

Apr 11, 2018 8:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first half of the episode was a reconstruction of the before episode, but the view of the other army and the second was the Yang´s draw against Reinhard1!! kekeke
Apr 11, 2018 9:03 AM
Feb 2010
From 17:16 and on the ships tilted while turning even though its gravity field is on the ship itself. I thought that was pretty funny.
Apr 11, 2018 9:57 AM

Sep 2012
Aggnog said:
From 17:16 and on the ships tilted while turning even though its gravity field is on the ship itself. I thought that was pretty funny.

You know mate, momentum and some other stuff
Apr 11, 2018 10:11 AM

Aug 2015
Another good episode. I don't mind the CG or the character's art style, and the OP is really starting to grow on me.
Apr 11, 2018 1:52 PM

Sep 2014
They handled this episode exactly like I expected. Having the first ep be empire only was a good call imo.

Still not fond of the cgi, its actually pretty underwhelming all of the time, the last shot of Reinhardo-sama was just bad.

Next ep should be one of the most impactfull of the early episode, how they handle Annerose and her boys will decide if this series is going to be pure cancer or just unnecessary.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 11, 2018 2:59 PM
Jul 2015
Not convinced by this 2nd episode. Slapdash characterization along with an overall "rushed" feeling (that's 1-cour anime for you). If anything, this new adaptation only serves to make the flaws of the original OVA more glaring since they aren't compensated this time around.
hi
Apr 12, 2018 12:47 AM
Mar 2018
WHY ARE IMPERIAL UNIFORMS SO INCONSISTENT?!! It annoys me beyond words.
Apr 12, 2018 1:23 AM

Jun 2014
So far, better than I expected. I like it and hope they can keep it up.
Apr 12, 2018 1:47 AM

Mar 2009
Yang's voice is really good.
Apr 12, 2018 3:19 AM

Oct 2015
cunninglinguist said:
you're late to the party XD
https://streamable.com/s4b0f

Farabeuf said:
The opening reminds me of an old 80's song by Starship, "Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now"

As a novel reader and long time fan of the OVA, I must say I'm quite enjoying this and hope to encourage old school viewers to come at this with an open mind. This adaptation is respectful of the source material and they're doing an ok with the characterizations. The battles (once you get used to the cheap CGI) benefit from the new dynamism that modern animation can provide and while the music can not match the classical score, it's still suitable and non distracting. No over the top dubstep or vocal tracks during the show.

Look forward to seeing and hearing some of the other characters now.
holy shit... no wonder it sounds so familiar
Apr 12, 2018 4:00 AM

Mar 2014
So the battle was brought to a stalemate. Yang seems really interesting as well. The battle is over now, so I hope we get some drama or characterization next. Great episode overall though
Apr 12, 2018 7:49 AM

May 2015
Kinda disappointed with how they depicted yang.I know I'm still comparing this to the old one anyway Its still a good watch just for nostalgia music and the updated graphics.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2018 8:36 AM
Feb 2016
I completely agree to some people saying that new Yang's appearance must have been designed by
. Well, I like it!
KolmeDGApr 12, 2018 8:59 AM
Apr 12, 2018 8:45 AM
Jul 2017
The Return of Yang Wen-Li ?? o dear o dear o dear ..

should i wait so i can marathon them , that was so great ... i see there's a new kensiro too , in 3d nonetheless i hope they dont , o yea right, strict topics hm ?

i totally devoured the originals, this should be great in the middle of chibiland and how te eat ramen, regurgitated dragonballs and ... never mind, 99% crAPPs , right, the usual
Apr 12, 2018 9:20 AM
May 2015
Nice episode! I'm liking Yang
Apr 12, 2018 10:40 AM

Jan 2017
Wait, where is Attemborough?

Everyone looks younger in here even the Kaiser
Apr 12, 2018 12:59 PM
Nov 2009
Yang's VA does a really good job sounding like the original. Same with the narrator.

I've watched the OVA twice and seeing it newly animated is still quite a treat.

My only gripe is that 'atmosphere' and characterization just doesn't seem as good as the OVA, even though this is much closer to the novels. Really hard to watch this and not compare it but so far so good..
Apr 12, 2018 1:24 PM
Mar 2009
Rely good episode I like the new take they are doing on the series shame it will be so short I would been happy with at least 50 ep instead of 110 but hey 13 ep is better than nothing.

Reminder to all old fans of the original series like my self. Remeber this is a remake/reimagined version so it will never be anything like the original which always how a remake/reimagined version of a movie or game is so stop being so angry about it and enjoy a good series that takes a new look at an old franchise we love.
Apr 12, 2018 2:38 PM
Jan 2017
Another good episode, was very similar to the original, remembered almost all of it. Can't wait for the next episode!!!
Apr 12, 2018 2:46 PM

Nov 2011
I am so, sooo happy with this episode. It is better than the first adaptation IMO, especially when explaining tactics. It was made so every viewer can understand what's happening, which is not always easy when it comes to military strategy.
And I finally got to see Wenli ~ ! ♥♥♥♥

Although, something's bothering me with this adaptation : why doesn't someone as important as Hilda appear neither in the opening nor in the ending? Will they just cut her down?
Apr 12, 2018 4:38 PM

Feb 2015
leewie said:

Dusty is barely mentioned in the novels. They made him more important in the original adaptation.
Apr 12, 2018 8:15 PM
Feb 2016
Reinhard said:
leewie said:

Dusty is barely mentioned in the novels. They made him more important in the original adaptation.

Attenborough has his first appearance later in the original novel than in OVA. He is one of the main character also in the novel, but perhaps it can be said that he becomes more important in the later part of the series.
Apr 12, 2018 8:45 PM

Jul 2012
Yasaal said:
I keep on hearing Sougo since his VA is the same as Yang XD

Makes me think Yang is a sadist XD

I feel you XD
I watched gintama before the OVA's version and when I heard Reuenthal talking it was difficult to not remember Matsudaira XD
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Apr 12, 2018 10:36 PM
Apr 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
It seems the plan is to cut the time needed to make a full adaptation. Reinhard promotion to fleet admiral was done in a minute. I'm not sure how it will affect characterization in the long run.

Let's see the later episodes. If they cut out
I will be certain that characterization will take a hit.

For this episode I will give 5/5.

AFAIR those scenes didn't happen in the original novel.

RyuuSasakura12Apr 12, 2018 10:54 PM
Apr 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Feb 2015
Netbug said:
I'm not even certain who the good guys are supposed to be

Both sides are good, but have their fair share of corruption.
Apr 13, 2018 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
RyuuSasakura12 said:
AdrianRubinsky said:
It seems the plan is to cut the time needed to make a full adaptation. Reinhard promotion to fleet admiral was done in a minute. I'm not sure how it will affect characterization in the long run.

Let's see the later episodes. If they cut out
I will be certain that characterization will take a hit.

For this episode I will give 5/5.

AFAIR those scenes didn't happen in the original novel.

The director's decision of the old OVA to give more time for the characters to interact was a key factor that made the OVA cast what it is. We might even get back to Reinhard promotion next episode, so I'm not going to think too much about it.

As for Phezzan:
As I said on previous posts, the original OVA tried to introduce Phezzan as fast as possible, but that doesn't have any effect on characterization.

As for Jessica:

There is no immediate danger that the characters will stay flat. But it is one of my worries.

Apr 13, 2018 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
The events narrated in this episode, retrace the steps seen in the past anime series of LOGH. Fortunately or bad luck, with the next episode begins the part that I do not know, at least so I will not have to make the comparison, for now, with the old anime series and enjoy more what happens in history. The graphics and animations are really very good as quality, I really like the opening.
Apr 13, 2018 3:45 PM
Mar 2012
Yang (& a bit Lao) are kinda interesting.
Lol battle turned in to torus of attrition.
Repair robots were cool, now just needs more mechas & add warp hyperdrive & maybe random idol singing then things get better.
Tactics were clarified so that's good. op/ed still really nice.

Apr 14, 2018 6:09 AM

Sep 2010
Sigh... this episode was a mess. Trying to cut the imperial and alliance parts into two different episodes really didn't help... . The worst part for me without the doubt however is the "new version" of the free planet alliance anthem... it wasn't bad and it's too early to judge but I freaking love the original version of the anthem and it's in my top 3 of best songs ever (occasionally first depending on the day) and yet here instead of that I got something else... I was so disappointed when I heard it.

So yea, while after first episode I had hopes after this one the only feel I have after episode is to not waste time with this series and instead go back and watch original coz I will enjoy it more. It's really simple as that.
Apr 14, 2018 7:12 AM

Aug 2014
It was okay I guess, but looking at Yang, I just noticed, that I am not fond of the new character designs after all.

This version constantly has that almost arrogant emotion-dead look on its face, whereas the original Yang was for more expressive and seemingly optimistic. Same goes for Kircheis, who had those big round eyes in the original, while this version has those arrogant slits.

I know this is a bit of a nitpick, but it does bother me.
Apr 14, 2018 7:43 AM

Feb 2015
Voice actor of Yang Wenli did an excellent job. His voice is similiar to the voice of Kei Tomiyama. I have high hopes for the series, so far it is looking good.
Apr 14, 2018 9:57 AM

Dec 2011
Great episode, I'm just missing the orchestra of the original anime. They're public domain music, I think it would be even better with the old OST.
Apr 14, 2018 1:25 PM

Aug 2014
gophercg said:
Yang (& a bit Lao) are kinda interesting.
Lol battle turned in to torus of attrition.
Repair robots were cool, now just needs more mechas & add warp hyperdrive & maybe random idol singing then things get better.
Tactics were clarified so that's good. op/ed still really nice.

Wouldn't get too attached to all characters, who get their names highlighted on the screen. Legend of the Galactic Heroes has a ton of great and interesting characters, but some of them are just part of the huge universe of the source material, that Yoshiki Tanaka came up with. They're good world building to show us the military and political systems of the universe, but they don't play an important role in the story.

Hope this doesn't come of as too much of a spoiler, but the Lao character is one of those. In fact, even though I barely started rewatching the original series last week in light of this new one coming out, I completely forgot, who he even was (the fact that some character designs strongly differ in this version compared to the original, helped a bit. Guess the book is the source material for this series and not the OVA's).
Apr 14, 2018 5:45 PM

Feb 2013
I certainly got excited when they started spiraling... chasing each others' tail.

Though I thought it ended a little too fast, ending the intensity of the battle.
(From what I recall, I think the OVA ended the battle with more impact.)
Apr 14, 2018 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
I actually really liked it! Better than the first episode. This is definitely more engaging than the original version since the visuals are upgraded here. :)

I'm super happy to see nice comments on Yang's seiyuu, Suzuken!! He's doing a superb job especially with the personality! c:
Apr 15, 2018 5:36 PM

Mar 2017
The character designs really hold this series back. Everyone looks a lot worse to me in all honesty and i have a hard time telling characters apart. It doesn't help that the original is fresh in my mind. Hopefully over time i'll get used to it?
Brandon2149Apr 15, 2018 6:04 PM
Apr 16, 2018 2:04 PM

Jul 2013
Usually not fond of space operas, but this seems fun.
Apr 18, 2018 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
Reinhard and Yang - two extraordinary young men.
This is only the beginning yet I'm starving to see more greatness from both of them.
I'm so impressed, loving it and genuinely enjoying this by far.

Lol, fits perfectly. Idk why did they bother making the current one. They could've just edit Starship's song and voilà - ya still get a good opening; maybe better. ;p
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.