Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2018 1:02 PM
Feb 2018
This is a custom layout for modern template lists. If you don't know how to install the codes, click here to view the Beginner's Tutorial.

If there are problems: install the latest version, or check the Repair Thread for patches and updates (found here).

All premade modern layouts can be found in the gallery by clicking here, and more ways to customize your list can be found here.

I recently started to watch anime and because i wanted to experiment a bit with CSS precompilers, i decided it would be fun to create my own theme thingy.

Of course this isn't much fun when i can't share it with anyone so i put everything on github and built it in a way so everyone can use it and customize it and have fun with it.

I documented all the stuff (e.g. how to use your own banner) on my github page: https://github.com/GenericMale/MyAnimeListTheme

Features

• Responsive
  • Tested on Chrome, Firefox, IE11, Edge
  • Support for custom headers using the MAL background selector
  • All controls still in place and fully functional (with the exception of the More button)
  • Shows Title, Status (Watched, Planned etc), Episodes, Big Images, User Score, Season, Type (TV, Movie etc), Rating (PG-13, R etc)
  • Additionally supports sorting by Aired Dates, Watched Dates, Storage, Priority

Installation

1. In your MAL Account Settings open the Tab List Style Design, select Modern, click on the Default Theme and hit Save.
  2. Go to the Lists tab and decide on which information to show. At least Episodes and Image is required. Optional but highly recommended is Score, Premiered, Type and Rating. Additionally the following fields will just give you additional sort options but the data is not shown in this theme: Aired Dates, Start/End Dates, Storage and Priority. Don't forget to click the Save button!
  3. Go to List Style Design again and click on the preview image of the Default Theme.
  4. On the left side expand Add Custom CSS and paste in the following code:
    @\import "https://malcat-gen.appspot.com/series?template=.data.image a[href^="/$list/$id/"]:after{background-image:url($series_image)}";
    @\import "https://malscraper.azurewebsites.net/covers/auto/presets/dataimagelinkafter";
    @\import "https://genericmale.github.io/MyAnimeListTheme/theme.css";

.list-menu-float {
      top: 150px
    }

.header, .list-menu-float, .search-container, .stats, .list-stats, tbody:first-child {
      color: #ffffff;
    }

5. Select "No" next to "Show cover image" or upload a custom banner using the Cover Image selector and change the 150px in the css to the height of your image (to align the profile icons). The banner is the part that is shown above the list.
  6. (optional) When using a bright banner, you might wanna change the button icons and the text from #ffffff (white) to a darker color in the css to make them more visible.
  7. (optional) Use a custom background image by expanding "Background Image" and upoading your own image. The background image will be shown behind the list.
  8. Click preview and check how it will look and when you are happy with it, click save and enjoy your fancy new MAL page.

Alternate versions and source codes

Alternatively copy the entire css from one of the following sites:
https://genericmale.github.io/MyAnimeListTheme/theme.css
http://pasted.co/2a97ea04

For the traditional whole heart icons behind your scores as in the pic above (they were changed by the website to a heart outline) use this version:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Uju0DZNC

Shishio-kunMar 25, 2023 8:58 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 12, 2018 9:18 PM

Feb 2010
Nice, thanks for sharing!

edit: thanks for backing up in the opening post, too!
Shishio-kunApr 1, 2018 4:48 PM
Mar 30, 2018 1:19 PM
Feb 2018
Thank you so much but can i maybe ask you to update the backup?
Problem is previously the CSS was referencing two assets which where also hosted on my github (the default header background and a font used for the MyAnimeList link) and those where included using a relative URL.
So when using the backup those couldnt be loaded :(

I changed it so those are not needed anymore and the css is now self-contained.
Mar 30, 2018 5:30 PM

Feb 2010
GenericGoose said:
Thank you so much but can i maybe ask you to update the backup?
Problem is previously the CSS was referencing two assets which where also hosted on my github (the default header background and a font used for the MyAnimeList link) and those where included using a relative URL.
So when using the backup those couldnt be loaded :(

I changed it so those are not needed anymore and the css is now self-contained.

Ah yes, absolutely. Good changes!

For anyone randomly reading: you want to always backup the CSS all over because when a layout's source is lost the images, colors, fonts can be nearly or even perfectly replaced, but the written codes cannot be replaced. It's very hard to emulate a layout on screenshots alone. So you should always back up your CSS. I usually back up layouts for designers now due to seeing so many lost for a million reasons. Even Github could go down one day and all it's info be lost!
Apr 1, 2018 5:09 AM
Feb 2018
I changed the css output to make it more readable and put the stuff that most people might wanna change to the top and dropped the inline font.
The backup is now part of my original post so you don't have to update it for me :D
thx!
Apr 1, 2018 9:22 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
Thanks for this SO GOOD Theme!
Apr 1, 2018 2:13 PM
Feb 2018
oh thx i'm glad you like it.

i changed the style a bit when you move your mouse over the covers.
instead of increasing the cover size it's now adding a shadow.
i would be interested if you like this better or not.
imho it's a bit more in tune with the rest of the theme this way.

you will get my changes automatically when you use the @import as in my original post. if you dont want this, copy the entire css from the links at the end ;)
Apr 1, 2018 11:45 PM

Feb 2013
Thank you for this!

Apr 2, 2018 3:50 AM
Feb 2018
You're welcome! :D
One small thing: I would suggest to choose "No" for "Show cover image" on the theme settings (or upload your own banner).
The default MAL image doesnt work so well with this theme.
I changed the installation instructions to point this out.
Apr 2, 2018 11:23 PM

Feb 2013
Oh cool, done. I notice that the banner seems off, the "How much" thing. Anyways, thanks :D

Apr 7, 2018 9:31 PM

Feb 2018
Hey man I just used this style looks really good.Just one quick question the writings are all white is there a way to change the colour of the writings?Anyways gr8 job bro :D
Apr 8, 2018 2:56 AM
Feb 2018
Hey! I'm glad you like it :)

Which text do you mean exactly?

For the text and the buttons in the header theres a description on how to do it in my original post:

6. When using a bright banner, you might wanna change the button icons and the text from #ffffff (white) to a darker color in the css to make them more visible.

So for example to make the buttons and the text grey you can use:

.header, .list-menu-float, .search-container, .stats, .list-stats, tbody:first-child {
  color: #aaaaaa;
}

Changing also all other text colors is more work.
GenericGooseApr 8, 2018 2:44 PM
Apr 8, 2018 10:58 AM

Feb 2010
@GenericGoose: Such success! People love your layout. Congrats and thanks for sharing :D
Apr 8, 2018 3:20 PM
Feb 2018
hehe thx i guess it helped that you put it on top of the club page :D
Apr 9, 2018 8:30 PM

Nov 2009
GenericGoose said:
hehe thx i guess it helped that you put it on top of the club page :D

Your layout is clean, it's impressive :D
Apr 17, 2018 8:27 AM

May 2015
It's so clean and easy on the eyes. Thank you very much. Now trying to find a banner to fit it nicely ^^

May 27, 2018 3:02 PM
Apr 2016
Need help! The images are blurry and I tried the solutions from here already.
May 27, 2018 3:52 PM

Feb 2010
Hinata_Aries said:
Need help! The images are blurry and I tried the solutions from here already.

It's due to what I reported here
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1731403

You can repair a lot of covers for now but not all on yours
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1732077
May 27, 2018 5:06 PM
Apr 2016
Thanks! I'll give it a try later.
Aug 20, 2018 9:12 PM

Feb 2010
Updated the code in the OP so other users and ppl logged out could see the CSS again, and also to show covers again. Hope that's ok, as we have to for club member's sake
Aug 27, 2018 4:42 PM
Feb 2018
Thank you so much for updating it!!!
Nov 11, 2018 2:13 PM

Apr 2016
Does this theme works on manga list?
Nov 11, 2018 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
JezuThePlumber said:

I dunno; install it and see what happens? Seems like it should. Worst case usually is it won't say All Manga but All Anime.
Nov 12, 2018 2:23 AM

Apr 2016
Shishio-kun said:
JezuThePlumber said:

I dunno; install it and see what happens? Seems like it should. Worst case usually is it won't say All Manga but All Anime.

I've tried and it "works". I have no visual problems but the manga covers has a lower quality than the original one.

Here you can see a capture:

(Right click and open in a new tab to see the problem correctly)
Nov 12, 2018 7:06 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
JezuThePlumber said:
Shishio-kun said:

I've tried and it "works". I have no visual problems but the manga covers has a lower quality than the original one.

Here you can see a capture:

(Right click and open in a new tab to see the problem correctly)
I believe this is due to your mangalist being private. The tool that generates high resolution cover images can only operate when your list is public. Your animelist is public but your mangalist is restricted.
Nov 13, 2018 4:15 AM

Apr 2016
Ye, now it works perfectly.
Ty for the theme <3
Feb 16, 2019 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
Help, my covers is not showing.
Feb 16, 2019 4:08 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
keragamming said:
Looks like you don't have images enabled in your list settings. This theme requires them, enabling them should fix the problem.
Feb 16, 2019 4:39 PM

Oct 2013
Valerio_Lyndon said:
keragamming said:
Looks like you don't have images enabled in your list settings. This theme requires them, enabling them should fix the problem.

Thank you it is working!
Feb 21, 2019 1:30 PM
Feb 2018
I think your images are fine now. It just takes a little while for the image script to pick up your list and generate the high resolution covers.
Mar 3, 2019 3:59 AM

Jun 2014
GenericGoose said:
I think your images are fine now. It just takes a little while for the image script to pick up your list and generate the high resolution covers.

How long does it usually take?
Mar 3, 2019 4:50 AM
Feb 2018
TheRay28 said:
GenericGoose said:

How long does it usually take?

Just a few hours usually.
But i noticed that you copied the css from the links provided at the bottom and those werent updated to the MAL changes. I fixed that now, so please copy the css again (only the imports on top have changed. those are responsible for the high quality image loading).
Mar 3, 2019 4:52 AM

Jun 2014
GenericGoose said:
But i noticed that you copied the css from the links provided at the bottom and those werent updated to the MAL changes. I fixed that now, so please copy the css again (only the imports on top have changed. those are responsible for the high quality image loading).

Thank you very much! It's working now and I really like your theme!
Mar 3, 2019 5:07 AM
Feb 2018
TheRay28 said:
GenericGoose said:

Thank you very much! It's working now and I really like your theme!

Thx!
Just one little thing: I would suggest you to set "Show cover image" to No (as explained in point 5 in the Installation instructions) ;)
Jul 11, 2019 6:02 PM
Nov 2017
Hi, other people cannot see this in my profile, how do i fix?
Jul 11, 2019 6:37 PM

Feb 2010
Thedoc_tv said:

You need a backslash in the codes after each @

@\import "https://malcat-gen.appspot.com/series?template=.data.image a[href^="/$list/$id/"]:after{background-image:url($series_image)}";
@\import "https://malscraper.azurewebsites.net/covers/auto/presets/dataimagelinkafter";

.list-menu-float {
}

}
Jul 12, 2019 3:01 AM
Nov 2017
Shishio-kun said:
Thedoc_tv said:

You need a backslash in the codes after each @

.list-menu-float {
}

}
Thanks you!
Aug 14, 2019 11:21 AM
Sep 2017
Sorry how can i change the blue color of the text Viewing Your Anime List to the top right and the background where myanimelist is written? Thanks in advance

PS: I apologize for my english, i am italian

edit: why can't i see the tags?
TaduinAug 14, 2019 11:28 AM
Aug 16, 2019 7:26 AM
Feb 2018
Taduin said:
Sorry how can i change the blue color of the text Viewing Your Anime List to the top right and the background where myanimelist is written? Thanks in advance

PS: I apologize for my english, i am italian

edit: why can't i see the tags?

hey, do you mean the header colors?
you can either upload your own banner image or add the following to the bottom of your CSS to give it some colors:

.list-container .cover-block {
  background: #f4719d;
}

Tags i dont include in this theme yet because i dont use them :D
Aug 16, 2019 7:37 AM
Sep 2017
Meanwhile, thank you for the answer. for now I have slightly changed the codes (it took me about 6 hours ..,i'm not kidding) by dint of modifying them by chance i succeeded more or less as you see here https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Taduin?status=1&order=4&order2=0 .I would like to make a change in another theme that i found in the forum but i'm not able to, would you be willing to help me? you don't have to change the images, i just want the written tags to be shown (this is a normal theme, without the cover like this)
Sep 5, 2020 9:36 AM

Jun 2019
Can anyone help me?
I'm using this layout and when I try to use advanced settings while in my list, it doesn't work and appears a message saying "myanimelist.net refused to establish connection".
Sep 5, 2020 2:31 PM

Feb 2010
AlexMasterOtakuP said:
Can anyone help me?
I'm using this layout and when I try to use advanced settings while in my list, it doesn't work and appears a message saying "myanimelist.net refused to establish connection".

MAL is having issues right now for everyone, but this should be cleared up soon its happened before :D
Sep 5, 2020 2:41 PM

Jun 2019
Shishio-kun said:
AlexMasterOtakuP said:
Can anyone help me?

MAL is having issues right now for everyone, but this should be cleared up soon its happened before :D

I see. Thank you for the information.
Oct 21, 2020 10:49 AM

Aug 2020
Thank you for this I’ve been wondering for a while how people changed how their lists look like!
Feb 7, 3:33 AM

Jan 2021
Hi everyone.

The question may look stupid for a CSS coder, but is there a way to make a very small change to this layout for myself ?
By default, the heart (for the rating) has no background color, so scoring may be difficult to see depending on the anime cover (example below).

https://imgur.com/jsXnsyx

Is there any way to set a red background to these hearts to make it more readable ?
Thank you a lot.
Feb 7, 6:14 AM

Nov 2010
Reply to Mayarra
Hi everyone.

The question may look stupid for a CSS coder, but is there a way to make a very small change to this layout for myself ?
By default, the heart (for the rating) has no background color, so scoring may be difficult to see depending on the anime cover (example below).

https://imgur.com/jsXnsyx

Is there any way to set a red background to these hearts to make it more readable ?
Thank you a lot.
@Mayarra Append this code to the end of the CSS code.

/* Change Heart icon style from outline to filled color */
.list-container .list-unit .list-table .list-item .list-table-data .data.score::before {
   font-weight: bold;
}
Feb 7, 12:30 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to hideso
@Mayarra Append this code to the end of the CSS code.

/* Change Heart icon style from outline to filled color */
.list-container .list-unit .list-table .list-item .list-table-data .data.score::before {
   font-weight: bold;
}
@hideso It worked !!

Thank you really much ! ❤️
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» [CSS - CLASSIC] Wishes of the heart ~ XXXholic layout by Hahaido

Shishio-kun - Dec 27, 2015

8 by Valerio_Lyndon »»
Apr 12, 7:34 PM

» [CSS-MODERN] ⭐️ Takana_No_Hana's Layouts

Shishio-kun - Jun 5, 2021

6 by NemuSanjou »»
Apr 9, 7:21 PM

» [CSS - Modern] 🍰 Clarity by V.L ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Valerio_Lyndon - Apr 19, 2018

1204 by blickrella »»
Apr 9, 4:55 PM

» [MODERN - CSS] ⭐ Sailor Moon layout by 5cm

Shishio-kun - Sep 7, 2020

34 by Y3337 »»
Mar 31, 11:45 PM

» [BBCODE + VIDEO GUIDE] ⭐️ Full list of BBcodes and BBcode setups on MAL ( 1 2 3 4 )

Shishio-kun - Feb 3, 2012

158 by KeyiOs »»
Mar 28, 8:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.