Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2018 6:53 PM

Sep 2016
what the fuck am I watching? It feels like I'm watching a really bad upscaled 360p video with blurry stuff everywhere (no I'm not talking about its retro artstyle)

this is Ashita no Joe at its native resolution, looks really good and sharp

here is Megalo Box, really blurry clusterfuck when fullscreen
https://i.imgur.com/4PHfbZQ.png
https://i.imgur.com/i30AUCf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ysdt9mK.jpg
(just click to look at fullsize)

this literally hurts my eyes, this is so stupid
GangsterCatApr 5, 2018 7:06 PM
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2018 7:08 PM
Jun 2016
I thought I was the only one.
Apr 5, 2018 7:11 PM

Sep 2016
jeff666p said:
I thought I was the only one.
It's just really bad. it seems their idea of "retro-like anime" is by making it bad 1995 DVD low-res quality. Do they really not know that they can make it retro-style while still making it sharp, not-upscaled looking? even the infamous "really bad art-style" like Ping Pong the Animation is still looking sharp and not blurry at all.
GangsterCatApr 5, 2018 7:16 PM
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 5, 2018 7:14 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, I was wondering about this myself.
Apr 5, 2018 7:25 PM

Nov 2007
It's called cutting corners.

As for me, it felt like a 4:3 aspect ratio that has been truncated on top and bottom to obtain 16:9. But I think I am okay with the way it is. In fact I liked it.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 5, 2018 7:27 PM

Sep 2016
shanimebib said:

As for me, it felt like a 4:3 aspect ratio that has been truncated on top and bottom to obtain 16:9. But I think I am okay with the way it is. In fact I liked it.
I guess they knew that people will eat their shit anyway
well well well
CrossAnge

Apr 5, 2018 7:46 PM

Nov 2007
GangsterCat said:

Too early to tell if they won't use the resources they are saving now to use in the actual fight scenes later in the anime.
Coronavirus.
Apr 5, 2018 8:07 PM
Jan 2016
It's definitely weird. Maybe they're saving the hi-res version for the blu-ray? If that's the case, that's a really bad move from them.
Apr 5, 2018 9:58 PM
Jan 2016
I really wanna watch this show, however, this is 2018 and it looks like this really like something from 1990s or early 2000 before having blue ray remasters. I feel like this was a mistake because it does not look good, i most likely just watch BD release if the next ep looks like this.
Apr 5, 2018 10:01 PM

Nov 2016
It didn't bother me so much. I thought it gave it a Retro-ish aesthetic. Also the Art and the Anmation are the best of the Season up to now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2018 10:05 PM

Jan 2009
no anime studio draws in less than 720p anymore so maybe its just either artistic choice or bad encoding by CrunchyRoll

EDIT:

sakugablog have proof that its artistic choice by the anime staff here

The blurry elephant in the room is of course their unique approach to the composite, which has proven to be both controversial and a source of misunderstandings. Ever since the early stages of the project, director Moriyama simply couldn’t envision a series like this with the crisp visuals you’d get in a new anime nowadays; sure he could ask the team to make the linework thicker than usual, but to get a result reminiscent of the cel era he barely was a part of but that he loves nonetheless, they needed something more substantial. And as he admits, the answer they arrived to was intentionally roughening up the visuals, not really to go along with the gritty art direction as has been speculated, but explicitly to make it feel like an old production. Since Moriyama thought that simply overlaying a bunch of grain effects on it would be harsh on the eye, they also intentionally downscaled the footage and then upscaled it back – hence why many people have gotten the feeling that it feels like SD material, which it technically is despite the assets originally being produced as if it were a regular high-definition title.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/04/09/production-highlights-megalo-box-01/
degApr 10, 2018 2:44 AM
Apr 5, 2018 10:24 PM
Dec 2016
Wtf is up with that? Hope its fixed soon.
Apr 5, 2018 10:42 PM

Dec 2016
I think this is intentional. It didnt bother me at all, i kinda liked it actually lol
Apr 5, 2018 10:59 PM
Dec 2017
Don't judge a great anime based on its cover.
Apr 5, 2018 11:29 PM
May 2015
I m not sure is animation important for this anime :)
I'm watching it and it's really good the main thing is enjoyment
I waited this anime for long time inside shit Loli + rainbow spectrum animes so yes, even they draw shit I would like it.
Apr 5, 2018 11:32 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Definitely an artistic choice I can do without. But whether or not it adds to the style of the series can be determined when the fights happen.
Apr 6, 2018 5:53 AM

Nov 2007
rvbrick said:
Erm, picture sharpness doesn't really have anything to do with cutting corners.

By cutting corners I meant saving on the budget so that they can use the resources in the fight scenes later.

Coronavirus.
Apr 6, 2018 5:59 AM
Aug 2017
It was obviously intentionally dude...
Apr 6, 2018 6:09 AM

Sep 2016
kami_12 said:
"It's bad on purpose, so it's fine"
heh
CrossAnge

Apr 6, 2018 6:11 AM
Aug 2017
GangsterCat said:
kami_12 said:
heh

it wasn't bad for me atleast...
Apr 6, 2018 6:20 AM

Apr 2009
you have to draw 2 times less if everything is zoomed x2
Apr 6, 2018 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
kami_12 said:
GangsterCat said:
heh

it wasn't bad for me atleast...
and it's not bad for most of the comments and thoughts in Youtube, Twitter, Crunchyroll, Reddit, Other forums, and not-so-legal websites, it's only a select few that complain about this "problem"
Sup...
Apr 6, 2018 7:30 AM

Jul 2015
shanimebib said:
rvbrick said:

By cutting corners I meant saving on the budget so that they can use the resources in the fight scenes later.

Yeah, that still isn't enough to "cut corners" enough, it's not that hard of a process from what I hear from animator Q&A's(but they could be lying or downplaying, so who knows for 100% sure)
Sup...
Apr 6, 2018 11:07 AM

Dec 2013
GangsterCat said:
shanimebib said:

well well well

It's not sharp enough but it works, I guess. Actually, I had problem getting used to it but it couldn't be helped... I guess?
Anyway, your new avatar sucks donkey balls, you know.
Apr 6, 2018 11:45 AM
May 2015
lol............
Apr 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Feb 2015
ITT: a bunch of dumbasses who don’t know how animation works
Apr 6, 2018 12:58 PM
Oct 2017
shanimebib said:

I liked it too.

Putting aside the resolution for a moment, I think that the musics matched quite well the scenes and their atmospheres.
Apr 6, 2018 4:20 PM

Dec 2016
I do not think this is intentional. They already have an 'older' look to the show, yet the area around the lines is blurry - more than likely a production error or encoding issue.

Check out the preview for example: https://youtu.be/-j8sX95vkfc

Very crisp around the edges of lines.

Hopefully it is fixed for the next episode.
Apr 6, 2018 7:02 PM
Sep 2016
I don't understand what you're talking about, an animation doesn't always need to be pretty,I personally look at all the elements and this series looks good. It is a fact that is not visually clear but when it tries it has good scenes, not only that, this is part of its retro style of cyberpunk or dystopic world.
matiasotakuApr 7, 2018 10:47 AM
Apr 6, 2018 8:10 PM

Mar 2009
Nezperdian said:
Let's wait for the VHS release for the fixes.

This. Already having production issues with the first episode smh.
Apr 6, 2018 8:22 PM

Dec 2015
I like it, gives everything a strong nostalgic vibe.
~
Apr 6, 2018 9:21 PM

Jul 2017
Agree with you there man, I was seriously confused. It's so weird that it's hurting my eyes, my vision is terrible enough so watching this in bed without glasses is killing me. Even with glasses I feel like I had none on...? I'll be honest this MIGHT ruin the experience for me (we'll have to see if the fight scenes make up for it), I've dropped anime solely on art-style before and this isn't straying to far from that. Though I have no problem with the art-style, it reminds of a mix between Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, and weirdly enough Avatar TLA, but when you make it look blurry as all hell, I can't. The plot is so good and this first episode had me hype for the next, I seriously don't understand why they didn't just make it full HD, for nostalgic reasons I'd understand but for youngins like me, I love a clean and HD animation prod.
NehzaApr 6, 2018 9:34 PM
Gintama > One Piece = Naruto > Bleach > DBZ

Nyanko Big is my spirit animal.
Apr 6, 2018 10:16 PM
Jul 2017
It's intentional dude, what do you want a fucking No Game no Life visuals on this anime?
Apr 6, 2018 10:23 PM

Aug 2014
I for one liked the art. Gives a retro fealing but with fluwid animation. But i liked art before 2005 more anyway than todays cuteness and bright color.
Apr 6, 2018 11:27 PM

Feb 2016
shanimebib said:
rvbrick said:

This was clearly made with post processing, this doesn't have anything to do with budget. Jesus it's 2018 and people are still blaming "Budget" for the quality of the animation.
I am the bone of my sword.
My blood is Iron, and my heart is glass.
I have overcome countless battlefields.
Unaware of beginning,
Nor aware of the end.
The orphan is alone again, Striking diamond dust on a hill of swords.
Yet, my flame never ends.
My whole body was still "Unlimited Blade Works".

-Emiya Shirou
Apr 7, 2018 12:19 AM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:
rvbrick said:

Thats not how budget works
Apr 7, 2018 2:02 AM

Jul 2010
Lets hope this will not be a thing animators do in the future making it bad on purpose, maybe they should've aired it in 4:3 too while at it cuz of the retro "feel".
Apr 7, 2018 2:58 AM
Dec 2007
Some people (especially old school guys like me) really don't care about image quality, resolution and all that shit. It can actually be a turn on compared to graphically well-made animes with garbage content like we've had in the past 10 years or so. To take another example, the new LOGH anime is absolutely gorgeous in terms of production and overall "crispness' but the original is MUCH better in terms of character design and direction, so despite the obvious animation flaws, I'd say that artsitically speaking, the old LOGH is better thant the new one. And Megalo Box, despite its bad image quality, is one of the most attractively drawn, animated and directed animes of the season. It almost feels like it's hand-drawn and not made on a computer - which it obviousy is - thus the retro feeling. And like someone said before, "I don't like [today animes'] cuteness and bright colors", that's why Megalo Box and Devilman Crybaby are the top 2 animes of the year so far for me ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 7, 2018 8:22 AM

Mar 2014
Yeah, it's truly a shame that it's so low-res, especially since the linework looks so detailed otherwise.

Nehza said:
I seriously don't understand why they didn't just make it full HD, for nostalgic reasons I'd understand but for youngins like me, I love a clean and HD animation prod.

As somebody who grew up with 80s & 90s anime and who is a big fan of CEL animation, this is a disgrace to that era of animation. We have BluRay releases of vintage shows for a reason, and that's because the art was so incredible back then that it's nice to see them remastered.
Nostalgia totally isn't an excuse for Megalo Box's production company fucking up the post-processing so terribly. Like others have said, I'm worried they're doing this to drive BluRay sales, and if that's the case, I worry about the future of TV anime.

Like, if that's the case, what next? Just air a show with a giant mosaic over the whole image?
"uh uh uh, you gotta buy the BluRay to truly watch the episode"

Okay, maybe that's a little overblown, but still! If they're willing to handicap a broadcast episode like this, what else would they be willing to chop off of the broadcast version to push them BDs?
::End of Transmission::

Apr 7, 2018 12:13 PM

Apr 2017
it doesn't matter to me how bad the quality the animation looks perfectly great and i'm loving the plot, but funny though! is it me or it's kinda gives the same vibe as Real Steel the movie?
it's great anyways and looking forward for more!
Apr 7, 2018 12:23 PM

May 2009
Wow, it's like filters shitposting last season.
Apr 7, 2018 12:24 PM

Apr 2014
I think it was their choice and I like it
themanualreader@proton.me
Apr 7, 2018 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
It didn't bother me and in fact I liked it, brings the early 2000s vibe
Apr 7, 2018 12:41 PM

Jan 2012
first world problems lol

Apr 7, 2018 3:32 PM

Jun 2008
Theleux said:

Check out the preview for example: https://youtu.be/-j8sX95vkfc

Very crisp around the edges of lines.

Looks exactly the same as in CR version, the only thing that's sharp is white japanese characters in black background, everything else is blurry
DizzeeApr 7, 2018 3:36 PM
Apr 7, 2018 4:00 PM

Jul 2017
GangsterCat said:
kami_12 said:
heh

"heh", you aren't an anime character, stop it.
Apr 7, 2018 4:22 PM
Oct 2015
If you don't like it.. Why do you watch it? I personally like the old stuff... It reminds me of Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I rather have this then those garbage animes these days...
Ammar17jApr 17, 2018 3:47 AM
Apr 7, 2018 4:46 PM

Jul 2015
Budget anime LUL , but I would take over some new animes everyone takes whats they enjoy the most and maybe OP , you got a bad video in wherever you watched it , I assume that will be a better version of that because I do think they made it with such bad quality I mean If ever want to watch this on 60" tv I will see almost every pixel of that animation.
Apr 7, 2018 6:47 PM

Sep 2011
its weird, there were times i loved how it looked and others where i felt like i was going blind, the animation (and tolerance of watching older shows in shit quality) kind of made up for me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 2018 11:27 PM
Jul 2017
It was a stupid decision for them to make. If they wanted it to look like ass then they should let people choose. Just make the show at 1080p and then let people download the shit looking version. Older shows don't look this bad they have added some stupid effect to make it look blurry. I watch a lot of really old shows and they don't ever look as bad as this.

I haven't seen the full episode yet because I'm waiting to see if they release a better version.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.