Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2018 3:07 PM
Dec 2014
Okay, picture this, you're somewhere between 12-16 and you're only sort of into anime/manga. Then you stumble across this series. Maybe a friend introduces you to it, or maybe you just stumble across it, maybe you heard good things about it and wanted to see what it was about. You read the first chapter, and you're hooked. You're in love with this manga. The characters feel almost as real to you as friends or family; you feel their struggles, cheer their successes, laugh at their antics, and mourn their losses.

You binge the whole manga, either to the ending or to the latest chapter. Maybe you love the characters, maybe you love the setting, maybe you love the art, maybe you love the humor, but whatever it is, you can't get enough of it. You look for other manga that are similar, but even though you loved other manga since then, none of them can come close to that first one. Any of this sound familiar?

For me it was Love Hina. A friend recommended it to me. He gave me a flash drive with all 14 volumes in 2006 or 2007, so I copied them onto my hard drive and read the whole thing in about two weeks. I loved Keitaro. I loved Naru. I loved Mutsuki, Shinobu, Haruka, Kitsune, Suu and even the turtle. I loved it from start to finish. Before long I consumed the anime and the OVA, and then I moved onto Akamatsu's next series Negima, which was good but dragged on and eventually lost my interest during the magic world arc. Looking back on it ten years later, was Love Hina actually good? Meh. But it will always have that special place in my heart.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2018 6:36 PM
May 2015
one piece
well i really loved the anime but it became shit and i tried the manga,never looked back
Apr 3, 2018 6:37 PM

Sep 2017
sailor moon was the first manga i read when i was 10, i loved the anime and read the manga (loved that too), even though i still haven't completed it.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 3, 2018 9:17 PM
Mar 2018
The InuYasha manga was the first I ever loved especially because of its amazing ending. I also love the anime adaptation because of its music, however the anime suffered from having the characters faces not being drawn in the same style as in the manga, however the InuYasha movies were much better because the characters looked more like they did in the manga.
despite this there is a flaw in the manga, and that is that in the beginning Rumiko Takahashi did not know how she wanted Kagome's uniform to look like so she kept changing its design early on.
what?
Apr 4, 2018 12:45 AM

Feb 2017
'girls of the wilds' for me...

i love this manhwa to the core,every single thing about it makes me feel great inside.

Apr 4, 2018 7:42 AM

Jan 2018
For me, It's Horimiya because it's my first manga I've ever read and I still really loved it.
Apr 4, 2018 1:32 PM

Jun 2016
I will be 18 next month, and I started my first manga much later than others. I think it was just over a year ago. Noragami was one of the first manga I picked up, I loved it then, and still love it to this day.
Apr 4, 2018 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
alien6 said:
Okay, picture this, you're somewhere between 12-16 and you're only sort of into anime/manga. Then you stumble across this series. Maybe a friend introduces you to it, or maybe you just stumble across it, maybe you heard good things about it and wanted to see what it was about. You read the first chapter, and you're hooked. You're in love with this manga. The characters feel almost as real to you as friends or family; you feel their struggles, cheer their successes, laugh at their antics, and mourn their losses.

You binge the whole manga, either to the ending or to the latest chapter. Maybe you love the characters, maybe you love the setting, maybe you love the art, maybe you love the humor, but whatever it is, you can't get enough of it. You look for other manga that are similar, but even though you loved other manga since then, none of them can come close to that first one. Any of this sound familiar?

For me it was Love Hina. A friend recommended it to me. He gave me a flash drive with all 14 volumes in 2006 or 2007, so I copied them onto my hard drive and read the whole thing in about two weeks. I loved Keitaro. I loved Naru. I loved Mutsuki, Shinobu, Haruka, Kitsune, Suu and even the turtle. I loved it from start to finish. Before long I consumed the anime and the OVA, and then I moved onto Akamatsu's next series Negima, which was good but dragged on and eventually lost my interest during the magic world arc. Looking back on it ten years later, was Love Hina actually good? Meh. But it will always have that special place in my heart.

The first manga I read was the first thing that got me into manga in general. It was really captivating, I didn't think that such strong themes and emotions could be portrayed in still black and white images, but I was seriously proven wrong. The manga I read was Citrus.

Thanks to Citrus, I am now immersed in all types of doujinshi.
Apr 4, 2018 3:56 PM

Dec 2017
Nisekoi and Naruto. Hehehe I loved both of the mangas though nisekoi is the only one I have completed.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Apr 4, 2018 5:07 PM

Aug 2015
I haven't really read much manga at all but I remember reading Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) and falling in love with it. It was the first manga to make me really interested in the medium.
Apr 4, 2018 5:25 PM

Aug 2015
The first one I loved enough to confidently put in my favourites was Steel Ball Run, which was my 26th completed manga. Now that I think about it, most of the earlier manga I read were pretty fucking bad.
Apr 4, 2018 9:50 PM

Jun 2013
Cardcaptor sakura who else used to read the tokyopop version at their local libraries in the 2000s
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Apr 5, 2018 1:41 AM

Jun 2014
I loved Chobits so much. It was really touching.

Apr 5, 2018 7:39 AM

Dec 2015
It was a hentai actually, Ring x Mama. It really left an impression on me cause it was the first time I had read something like it. But this was long before I started watching anime, and even longer before I started reading manga.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 5, 2018 8:33 AM

Aug 2012
Detective Conan. I still love it very much. Though at this point, I'm not sure if I love it because it's still great or because I love it too much that it doesn't matter as long as it's not worse.

Apr 5, 2018 11:28 AM

Aug 2016
Started reading manga to get caught up with one piece and still my favorite thing to wake up too on Thursdays.
Apr 5, 2018 6:24 PM

Nov 2017
the pokemon special manga. i'd read all of those at the library, good times. Also the legend of zelda manga and some magical girl/witch manga whose title i cant remember

i think ill go add those to my list rn
melabrook99Apr 5, 2018 6:28 PM
Apr 5, 2018 6:28 PM
Sep 2017
First manga I ever read was Akame ga Kill and I loved it. Probably because it ends better than the anime itself. Still loved it!
Apr 5, 2018 6:31 PM

Feb 2018
It was FMA for me, I enjoyed the concept
Apr 5, 2018 6:41 PM

Feb 2016
Haven't read alot but the first for me was Freezing.

I liked the anime and loved the manga even more, also ended up liking the anime a little less after reading the manga. The manga stayed serious throughout pretty much from what I remember whereas the anime drifted off at times and did fanservice filler, which I guess is fair... have to fill in the timespace for the episode with something, but I have the right to still be not really care for it 😋

I still need to get back into it at some point. I only managed to read up a little past where the anime left off if I recall. I got into like the following arc, near the end of it I think.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 5, 2018 10:38 PM

Jul 2017
my first manga in general and pretty much my favorite was noragami, it made me think that just watching the anime wasn't enough sometimes
Apr 6, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 2015
The first manga I really got into was Dogs Bullets and Carnage. It wasn't the first manga I read, but it was the first one that I got completley invested in the story and it's characters. It's been a few years since I first read it and it's still my favourite series, hopefully it will come out of hiatus soon.

Apr 6, 2018 10:19 AM

Sep 2016
Steel Ball Run, the pinnacle of JoJo's
Apr 6, 2018 10:37 AM

Apr 2015
It was kinda early for me because the first manga I really loved, was also the first manga I bought - One piece.
I was like 8 years old and just fell in love with the drawings, the characters, and the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2018 11:13 AM

Dec 2010
Shaman King it was the first manga I ever read and I still love it to this day.
Apr 6, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2015
You really have a good taste in manga and although Love hina is not the first manga which i really liked but it still is one of the best ones i have ever read.

Now,if i have to choose the first manga which i really loved than that would be 'Mahou sensei Negima' which ironically is also created by the same author as love hina and the recent uq holder 'Akamatsu Ken'

It's definitely not that good nor is it my most favorite manga i have ever read and it also contains many cliched harem troupes but it still is the first manga which i have really enjoyed reading back in 2012.it's sad that the sequel Uq holder turns out to be trash.
Apr 6, 2018 2:17 PM

May 2015
One Piece!
I'll never forget buying the first 9 volumes on my 13th birthday, and now I own all 85! I read and read and read, I anticipated every time I bought a new volume, just waiting for it to show up so I could binge this amazing series.
Seriously, reading online is easier but there's nothing like the feeling of buying a new manga volume - however sad that sounds.
I haven't read One Piece in about a year, personally the New World hasn't captivated me as much. But damn, Water Seven, Thriller Bark, Sabaody, Impel Down and Marineford are some of the best things I've read, and it's all one after another.
That part of One Piece is amazing, I'd love to read it all again for the first time.
Apr 6, 2018 3:22 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Hmm, I think the one I truly loved and binge read as fast as I could was "MeruPuri: Märchen☆Prince". I don't love it anymore, but I still have a soft spot for it even now :'D I remember being almost entranced and loving every page <3
Apr 7, 2018 4:19 PM

Sep 2015
Berserk was the first manga I ever read and is still my favourite.
Apr 7, 2018 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Fruits Basket. I really love the focus on the characters' issues and not just romance and relationships even though it's a shoujo manga.

It's also the first manga I've read where I actually collected all of the physical volumes, and managed to finish reading it without getting spoiled on the ending.
Apr 7, 2018 9:22 PM

Dec 2012
I would say Ai Yori Aoshi, because it was the first manga series I completed, not to mention I really enjoyed reading the rest of the story that wasn't animated. It was also a long investment as it's 17 volumes and took years to be released here. I didn't really get into manga until my early 20s though.

alien6 said:
Okay, picture this, you're somewhere between 12-16 and you're only sort of into anime/manga. Then you stumble across this series. Maybe a friend introduces you to it, or maybe you just stumble across it, maybe you heard good things about it and wanted to see what it was about. You read the first chapter, and you're hooked. You're in love with this manga. The characters feel almost as real to you as friends or family; you feel their struggles, cheer their successes, laugh at their antics, and mourn their losses.....

....and then it goes on infinite hiatus and you haven't seen a new volume released in the states for years. Nerd rage ensues. This is the story of pretty much all my favorites Black Lagoon, Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, etc.
KruszerApr 7, 2018 9:26 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2018 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
I was like 9 at the time but Magic Knight Rayearth. Came across it looking for the Cardcaptor Sakura manga only to find the volumes I wanted of that sold out but another series by the same author around instead. It had lady knights and magic and dragons, and younger me loved all reading about all of those things a whole awful lot. I remember saving up my allowance for months to buy the rest of the series and the anime when I could find them. Good times.

Once I got back into manga, I got hooked on CLAMP's other series and branched out from there. Tsubasa and xxxHolic were the two I got the most into, and I've still got a huge soft spot for them even if I'm still a bit salty over how they turned out.
Apr 10, 2018 9:49 AM

Apr 2017
Pretty sure it was One Piece. My parents went out a brought me the first volume and I fell in love with it.
Apr 10, 2018 4:03 PM

Sep 2011
My first manga is To Love Ru and I do really love it. Although my most beloved manga is Tsukihime.

Apr 10, 2018 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Paradise Kiss and Fushigi Yugi were the ones for me
Apr 10, 2018 4:27 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Peach Girl weirdly enough. I had loved the anime so much and saw how much more I guess sexual the manga was and immediately consumed the whole thing. Was hard to find back then because 18 volumes 10 years ago at your local library.
Apr 10, 2018 7:12 PM

Mar 2017
The first manga that i loved was Tokimeki Tonight. I was around 10 years old or so when reading it and it was so much fun. Been having a hard time finding them nowadays.
While Gakuen Alice is my favourite manga of all time, i can't help but remember that Tokimeki Tonight is the first manga series that i read and loved.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 11, 2018 8:45 AM

Apr 2017
Berserk

It's still the one and only I think. There are manga that I like a lot, but only one I love.
Apr 11, 2018 10:19 AM

Apr 2018
GodLikesMudkips said:
One Piece!
I'll never forget buying the first 9 volumes on my 13th birthday, and now I own all 85! I read and read and read, I anticipated every time I bought a new volume, just waiting for it to show up so I could binge this amazing series.
Seriously, reading online is easier but there's nothing like the feeling of buying a new manga volume - however sad that sounds.
I haven't read One Piece in about a year, personally the New World hasn't captivated me as much. But damn, Water Seven, Thriller Bark, Sabaody, Impel Down and Marineford are some of the best things I've read, and it's all one after another.
That part of One Piece is amazing, I'd love to read it all again for the first time.

so much envy ;_; I also want to own OP huhu..

For my first..can't remember sadly but it's a romance for sure since I was in my early teens when I first read manga and I'm the typical "romantic" back then haha
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
Apr 11, 2018 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
Manga that absolutely floored me was Grappler Baki.

Apr 24, 2018 5:53 PM

Jun 2016
I haven't been into anime for long, and manga for even less time, so I think it was really Attack on Titan. I had barely started watching anime and wanted to try manga, and it just completely blew me away. It was/is so much better than the anime.
Apr 24, 2018 6:21 PM

Jan 2018
I really enjoyed My Girl and I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Apr 24, 2018 6:26 PM

Aug 2016
Detective conan. I already liked the holmesian canon, but reading sherlock's deductive reasoning cleverly applied in a modern setting was too awesome for me

Apr 24, 2018 6:27 PM

Apr 2018
Probably Koe no Katachi since it was the very first manga I read that I actually finished
"it's a confession of love, after all."

:。・:*:・゚’★,。・:*:・゚’

Apr 24, 2018 6:35 PM

May 2017
Noragami i absolutely loved it..
Art was so clean and carefree,den i saw this guy and that was it

Apr 24, 2018 7:35 PM

Jun 2013
GodLikesMudkips said:
One Piece!

it wasnt the first manga I loved but im totally with you on this. thats super fucking cool you bought so many issues. I have a friend who has them all in japanese ^^
I kind of lost interest after the timeskip but i still really like the characters!
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Apr 26, 2018 6:28 AM

Sep 2016
For me it was Love Hina.

As a 10 year-old boy who grew up reading doraemon, naruto, and other shounen manga, it's my first RomCom/Harem manga. I had to lend it from my older cousin to even read that. It really opened my horizon about manga and anime.

Looking back now, it's not even a good manga, hell not even a good harem. But it really is a gateway to a broader genre of manga (not just a storefront shounen).
Apr 28, 2018 7:36 AM
Aug 2016
Death Note.

That was the manga that ever hooked me to the realm of the manga world
Apr 28, 2018 7:51 AM

Apr 2016
Nausicaa

Read it all the time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2018 10:07 AM

Aug 2015
My first was ONE PIECE after catching up with the anime in 2010 or so, i ended up in love with the manga too. :3

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
6 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
8 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
9 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
9 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.