Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 28, 2018 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, it was kinda neat seeing the episode take Violet to the skies on an aircraft. Got a slight adventure vibe out of this.

The episode still had its usual dramatic tone of storytelling but felt more thrilling in terms of execution. Violet is doing what she has to do to help others again. With one more episode left for the main series (I think the extra episode is OVA), I'm curious to see how they will wrap this up.

Even got a little bit of screen time seeing Violet in action. What a cliffhanger!
Stark700Mar 29, 2018 5:56 AM
Mar 28, 2018 8:27 AM

Mar 2013
Didn't think we'd get the train hijacking this episode. Looks like they scrapped the flying letters and combined it with the hijacking with Dietfried in the story instead to wrap up Dietfried's conflict with Violet.

Stuff in the anime adaptation did really irk me though in this episode. Why didn't they just shoot Violet on top of the train? They had the range?
Also the part with the brooch being taken felt super cliche and cheesy imo... Almost mustache twirling generic bad guy level of cliche.
Would have preferred the novel version of events since Violet went all Splinter Cell and took out the soldiers one by one in the dark. Also before she gets saved she had a one on one duel with the officer, which felt more tense.

Also she was less pacifistic in the novel, where she wouldn't kill due to Gilbert wish, she wasn't so against weapons that she wouldn't use it for self defense. I mean she used her opponents weapons to incapacitate her enemies in the novel.

However its understandable since it had to be paced to fit in the entire episode but still it could have been done so much better. Tad bit disappointed.
SalmonSandwichMar 28, 2018 8:38 AM
Mar 28, 2018 8:29 AM

Jul 2017
Oh wow looks like they will actually
I'm a bit disappointed. Oh well.
GreenEmuMar 28, 2018 8:48 AM
Mar 28, 2018 8:58 AM

Apr 2010
More war and the ending was a cliffhanger.
Violet still showing of her skills tho not wanting to kill makes things a bit harder on her.
But seeing she doesn't want to kill makes her a better human which is a good thing.
Mar 28, 2018 9:20 AM
Feb 2017
Violet x Diegfried Vs Gandarik Army
Mar 28, 2018 10:01 AM
Feb 2008
If they will keep Gilbert dead, I will rly cancel my bluray pre-order. (Rly not fan of this whole mixed stuff from last episode, pretty bad move)
Mar 28, 2018 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
Disappointed by the way they set this out. The novel's version of this episode is so much better than this.

The way the enemy just drop like flies is to the point where I don't even feel excited to see Violet win. I mean, the novel did lack in this aspect as well, but not as much as this.

The chances of Gilbert being alive was around 40 to 60, but now it's gone down even more to 20 to 80 I think.

However there were some positives:

1. Violet not using any weapons when fighting really emphasised that fact that she is trying to move on from her past self.
2. More interaction between Violet and Dietfreit, which is interesting considering that he's the only one who hates her except the anti-peace faction.
3. They did well in trying to connect the episodes, much better than when they completely skipped that meeting between Violet and Dietfreit.
Major_GilbertMar 29, 2018 3:09 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 28, 2018 10:51 AM

Mar 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
Disappointed by the way they set this out. The novel's version of this episode is so much better than this.

The way the enemy just drop like flies is to the point where I don't even feel excited to see Violet win. I mean, the novel did lack in this aspect as well, but not as much as this.

The chances of Gilbert being alive was around 40 to 60, but now it's gone down even more to 20 to 80 I think.

I definitely think combining aspect of flying letter with the final chapter was interesting idea since they wanted to wrap up Dietfried storyline while also giving more room for the finale.

but everything else was disappointing like you said, the enemies have a clear numerical and tactical advantage but Violet knocks them out no problem with NO WEAPON. In the novel Violet was definitely more careful since she had a disadvantage by using the lack of light, the element of surprise, and the fact that she had self defense weapons.

SalmonSandwichMar 28, 2018 10:54 AM
Mar 28, 2018 11:12 AM

Apr 2016
SalmonSandwich said:
Major_Gilbert said:

I definitely think combining aspect of flying letter with the final chapter was interesting idea since they wanted to wrap up Dietfried storyline while also giving more room for the finale.

I'm also disappointed like you said, the enemies have a clear numerical and tactical advantage but Violet knocks them out no problem with NO WEAPON. In the novel Violet was definitely more careful since she had a disadvantage by using the lack of light, the element of surprise, and the fact that she had self defense weapons.

Since there's only 1 episode left aside from the OVA, I agree that this isn't a bad option. I'm wondering how they will end this, since
I just hope that they wrap things up well.

Mar 28, 2018 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
SalmonSandwich said:

I'm also disappointed like you said, the enemies have a clear numerical and tactical advantage but Violet knocks them out no problem with NO WEAPON. In the novel Violet was definitely more careful since she had a disadvantage by using the lack of light, the element of surprise, and the fact that she had self defense weapons.

Since there's only 1 episode left aside from the OVA, I agree that this isn't a bad option. I'm wondering how they will end this, since

Definitely thinking they are going to spend alot of the time on the epilogue, that's why they combined elements of flying letters and the finale, and removed story elements to shorten the train hijacking, since the novel did end very abruptly. I really do wish Dietfried and Violet have that conversation from the flying letters chapter next episode. That would imo satisfyingly end Dietfried story-line with the exclusion of
since that's really the only loose story line left after the train hijacking ends.
Mar 28, 2018 11:32 AM

Apr 2016
SalmonSandwich said:
Major_Gilbert said:

Definitely thinking they are going to spend alot of the time on the epilogue, that's why they combined elements of flying letters and the finale, and removed story elements to shorten the train hijacking, since the novel did end very abruptly. I really do wish Dietfried and Violet have that conversation from the flying letters chapter next episode. That would imo satisfyingly end Dietfried story-line with the exclusion of
since that's really the only loose story line left after the train hijacking ends.

Mar 28, 2018 11:35 AM

Nov 2007
I wonder what was the reason for Claudia's segment where he said もうすぐ帰ってくるかな. It would mean he was waiting for Cattleya and others to return back safe but then again somehow it felt like it was a premonition of Gilbert returning to Violet i.e. he is alive because it was right after a father was shown coming home to his daughter.

However, if we follow KyoAni's recent adaptation Hibike Euphonium, it could well be as good as the hairpin reference.

I also wonder why they didn't shoot. Why would they charge with their bayonet instead of firing? It's not like they cared what would happen if there was sounds of gunshots since they blew a grenade up as well. Also, didn't really get why they would take their time to execute Violet with a sword?

Regardless, Violet's vow to never kill again was tested as she got hurt trying to save one of the enemies from falling off the running train. Yet most of them were killed by Dietfried.

Next episode will be the last episode. It's been confirmed already.

OT: This episode reminded me of the Flying Pussyfoot. That was insane.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 28, 2018 11:39 AM
Feb 2008
I am just disappointed, cuz we will not see that nice scene from vol 2 last chap of the LN probably. Anime is nicely done, just this thing will probably ruin it for me a bit.
Ich1goMar 29, 2018 3:47 AM
Mar 28, 2018 1:45 PM

Jan 2015
How to ruin a great novel kyoani stlye. But what did we expect from family friendly novel-butchering kyoani? this will probly be a 4/10 max from a 9/10 novel...
Mar 28, 2018 2:10 PM

Mar 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
SalmonSandwich said:

Yeah I agree, as much as I love ep 6 with Leon, that episode should have been cut, and should have moved up Oscars episode so they could add one more flashback episode with Violet and Dietfried meeting on the island, her first meeting with Gilbert, and the barrack training.

Anime only viewer have really no context to Dietfried without that backstory on what Violet did before meeting Gilbert so its hard to understand why he acts that way to Violet.
Mar 28, 2018 3:10 PM
Jan 2018
I'm so desapoined that they changed the story and there is something that I don't understand if they will make Gilbert dead so why they showed him alive in the teaser
Mar 28, 2018 3:15 PM

Jul 2017
ackerman_marie22 said:
I'm so desapoined that they changed the story and there is something that I don't understand if they will make Gilbert dead so why they showed him alive in the teaser

If I recall that teaser was for the LN not the anime. As for Gilbert's fate, It would honestly be strange if Kyoani went forward with such a massive change from source material. I have no clue why the director decided to do things this way. On top of that, it would be even shittier of he was actually dead yet they never once confirm his death since his body is still missing in the anime. Shame because otherwise I was enjoying this adaption for the most part, but they really messed this up with how they're handling the conclusion.
Mar 28, 2018 5:55 PM

Feb 2016
See? this is how a well paced episode looks like.

Violet's stubbornness were quite annoying tho (Reminds me of those action shows were the main character doesn't want to kill to the point of being almost useless)

So according to some comments on this forum, it will only be 13 then?

GreenEmu said:

Why keep him alive? Gilbert being dead is better Imho. Gilbert being alive would just end like the ending of Clannad AS.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 28, 2018 5:59 PM

Mar 2013
Thread is full of salty LN readers as usual.
Mar 28, 2018 6:05 PM

Feb 2016
Major_Gilbert said:

What's so special about Gilbert being alive? from how the anime has been executed it seems to me that him being dead fits better than him being alive. I don't mind spoilers if you want to elaborate your answer.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 28, 2018 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
This was a overall great episode, but after the standards that episode 10 and 11 delivered, I can understand why this was a disappointment. And honestly, the changes in the LN were necessary, ofc, to fit this in the single episode AND prevent any break in the flow of the story.

Also, Violet is really swaying between saving or destroying....she's literally pulling a Yuya Sakaki
RyuseishunMar 28, 2018 6:56 PM
Mar 28, 2018 6:55 PM

Jul 2015
Not sure who was more against killing there, Violet or all the enemies that had a chance to kill her but either did nothing or tried to execute her with a sword because why not, ughh...
Mar 28, 2018 7:52 PM

Mar 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
SalmonSandwich said:

I think that part about their relationship may be mentioned in the final episode, but idk how they're gonna do it
Mar 28, 2018 9:53 PM
Mar 2018
I like's this Episode 12. Goooooooooood aamziiiiiinnnnnng Extraordinaryyy.
Mar 28, 2018 10:50 PM
Sep 2016
Where is the episode here in Singapore cant find it on Netflix
I cry
Mar 28, 2018 11:11 PM

Jul 2014
This is ridiculous. We are getting to the point where there should be one discussion for novel readers and one for nonreaders. :/

Anyway, I know Violet doesn't want to kill anymore but come on, you don't have to go to the extreme of saving them, you're in a life-or-death situation.
SkyLETVMar 29, 2018 12:39 AM
Mar 28, 2018 11:26 PM
Jan 2018
GreenEmu said:
ackerman_marie22 said:

If I recall that teaser was for the LN not the anime. As for Gilbert's fate, It would honestly be strange if Kyoani went forward with such a massive change from source material. I have no clue why the director decided to do things this way. On top of that, it would be even shittier of he was actually dead yet they never once confirm his death since his body is still missing in the anime. Shame because otherwise I was enjoying this adaption for the most part, but they really messed this up with how they're handling the conclusion.
same for Me I was enjoying the anuime adaptation until this episode and it makes no sense if he's dead because as you said his body is messing and for his brother he didn't say that Gilbert is dead so let's hope he's alive but I still don't like the way they adapted the chapter here
Mar 29, 2018 12:30 AM

Jan 2017
Really getting intense with the whole top of the train scenes.

Mar 29, 2018 12:56 AM

Apr 2015
I actually prefer that Gilbert will be dead in all honesty, the way it was built up in the anime specifically is done in a manner which Violet should grow and understand the emotions around death and how it makes her human. If he were or is alive, I think most of the build up would have been wasted.

This is my opinion.
Mar 29, 2018 1:06 AM

Sep 2016
More focus on the action and Violet's past and how it changed her. Interesting. Also that cliffhanger ending :'(

Next week can't come soon enough...
Mar 29, 2018 1:25 AM
Feb 2008
Mohammadalmannai said:
I actually prefer that Gilbert will be dead in all honesty, the way it was built up in the anime specifically is done in a manner which Violet should grow and understand the emotions around death and how it makes her human. If he were or is alive, I think most of the build up would have been wasted.

This is my opinion.

Mar 29, 2018 1:42 AM

Aug 2013
Lol people in here are acting like this is the first series that started off adapting close to the source before veering off in its own direction after a certain point in the series. Guys, it's been done before plus this isn't the first time KyoAni has done some "butchering". Look at Sound Euphonium, Myriad Colors Phantom World, and so on. If people want to know how the story really happened, they'll find a way to check out the source I imagine.

Anyways, it was nice to see Violet in some serious action again despite her being more passive in her approach. I liked how she was kicking ass without dropping a solider off the train then taking the time to actually try and rescue one of them during the fight. Also...man them hands are clutch gods deflecting that one slug at the end. Here's to hoping the last two episodes won't get delayed at all because of the fact we're running over into the Spring season starting next week. Then again, this is a Netflix series so it won't matter.
Don't believe the hype.
Mar 29, 2018 1:55 AM

Nov 2016
Tone shift and we're from feels to a more thrilling approach.

Diethard was pretty mean towards Violet, but I can understand, since he "lost" his brother, so seeing Violet must really trigger him.

Only one episode left... I'm really curious how they're going to wrap things up and if Gilbert is still alive.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2018 1:59 AM

Sep 2017
Afezeria said:
Haha yeah I don't happen to see the opinion of regular anime watcher :D
Mar 29, 2018 2:02 AM
Oct 2015
I understand why Violet doesn't want to kill but she clearly has to scarfies a few lives for the better, especially the scene where she saved one of the enemies and gets punished for doing so.
Heckle was here...
Mar 29, 2018 2:32 AM

Jul 2017
Learning why Dietfried is so bitter towards Violet was useful information. As he blames her for getting his brother killed, I'm sure he might in turn blame himself somewhere deep down as he was the one that introduced them to each other.

The fight on top of the train was a bit silly as people have pointed out that they could have easily shot her, but then again you see it lots where the bad guys have the good guy in a bad spot and screw up. Also to those saying she hasn't got a weapon, she does have metal arms which must hurt plenty when she punches them (especially as they seem to be made out of Adamantium or Vibranium after taking that explosive shell at the end).

Also one weird translation, both English subs and dub: when Dietfried says they'll attack us at the bridge he goes on to say it took them 10 years to build the tunnel 😂

I went back to the shot where they fly over just in case there was a tunnel leading to the bridge, but the approach both sides look open. Also checking the French subs with my limited knowledge it seems the line should just be it "it took ten years to build it".
Mar 29, 2018 2:42 AM

Aug 2017
AMAZING! VioletXDiegfried ship for the win! Go Violet! Go my girl! Beat them! Beat them! Amazing fight, THE BEST 10/10, that villain is so evil! How dare you! Violet-sama defeat him! Go, go, go! I love the animation. 9.9999/10. We are more closer to our dream. I LOVE VIOLET!! 2/5

Ankithadam said:
Afezeria said:
Haha yeah I don't happen to see the opinion of regular anime watcher :D

I am a regular anime watcher! I'm very but very salty happy!! :) Happiness will rule the world!! Yeah!!
NurguburuMar 29, 2018 2:59 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 29, 2018 3:00 AM
Jan 2018
somehow this episode doesn't have any emotional feels like the previous episodes. unlike episode 11 the fight in this eps doesn't feel special, or rather bland. and it feels like there is no emotion in this eps, even the rebel hijacking the train action feels like a big thing and the turn to be a total easy thing to handle. i hope this is just some "calm before the storm" thing
Mar 29, 2018 3:04 AM

Jan 2017
Well, it's only natural for dietfried to hate Violet if he is blaming her for Gilbert's death; but id ay that back and forth between the two have brought them closer... We're probably gonna see the working together a bit more in the next episode. I can't believe that there's only two episodes left, I gonna cry T-T T-T T-T
I still want Gilbert to come back from the dead, hell sort out a litofthe problems 😅. But obviously the emotion is there partly because of the blank space created by his role.
This animation throughout the series remained consistent and so far I haven't found anything to hate about this anime
Mar 29, 2018 3:08 AM

Aug 2017
HereticHunter said:
See? this is how a well paced episode looks like.

Violet's stubbornness were quite annoying tho (Reminds me of those action shows were the main character doesn't want to kill to the point of being almost useless)

So according to some comments on this forum, it will only be 13 then?

GreenEmu said:

Why keep him alive? Gilbert being dead is better Imho. Gilbert being alive would just end like the ending of Clannad AS.

13 episodes? Why it is listed as 14? I will prepare my review!
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 29, 2018 3:11 AM

May 2015
it was kind of bland violet is more badass than that even post war
Mar 29, 2018 3:30 AM

Apr 2016
D1tchd1gger said:
Learning why Dietfried is so bitter towards Violet was useful information. As he blames her for getting his brother killed, I'm sure he might in turn blame himself somewhere deep down as he was the one that introduced them to each other.

The fight on top of the train was a bit silly as people have pointed out that they could have easily shot her, but then again you see it lots where the bad guys have the good guy in a bad spot and screw up. Also to those saying she hasn't got a weapon, she does have metal arms which must hurt plenty when she punches them (especially as they seem to be made out of Adamantium or Vibranium after taking that explosive shell at the end).

Also one weird translation, both English subs and dub: when Dietfried says they'll attack us at the bridge he goes on to say it took them 10 years to build the tunnel 😂

I went back to the shot where they fly over just in case there was a tunnel leading to the bridge, but the approach both sides look open. Also checking the French subs with my limited knowledge it seems the line should just be it "it took ten years to build it".

I noticed that as well.

HereticHunter said:
Major_Gilbert said:

What's so special about Gilbert being alive? from how the anime has been executed it seems to me that him being dead fits better than him being alive. I don't mind spoilers if you want to elaborate your answer.

Mar 29, 2018 3:44 AM
Feb 2008
Rismaya, I am not sure about your age, but this kind of reaction is rly silly. And no-one is sneering on the anime, anime is indeed good, in my case it is more about that I really liked vol 2 last chapter, so it makes me sad that they will probably don´t do it in the way LN was, because Violet and Gilbert deserves a happy ending
Mar 29, 2018 3:49 AM

Apr 2016
Well, good God that Captain America was there at that time on that train to save everyone.
The story is really mess, it's all over the place.
Mar 29, 2018 3:50 AM
Nov 2015
Major_Gilbert said:

Also, if they were going to make him alive, why are they going as far as making his gravestone? The novel didn't go that far, it was pretty obvious he was alive early on.

When we think a soldier died, even without finding back the dead body, it’s very frequent to still make a gravestone. A lot of soldiers have empty gravestones.
Other than that, I agree with your statements.
Mar 29, 2018 3:51 AM

Oct 2015
I don't read the LN, but I was curious, so I read the spoilers.
Well, the episode itself seemed fine. It was just annoying that the soldiers didn't even try to shoot Violet. They were just trying to kill her using their bayonets. Obviously I do not want Violet to be dodging like ultra instinct Goku, but that scene was just annoying.
I understand Violet doesn't want to kill people, but I'm sure she could shoot them without killing them, since she's some sort of super soldier, and must have sick aim.

Well, probably next episode will wrap things up.
Mar 29, 2018 3:54 AM

Aug 2017
Slim_Lamie said:
I don't read the LN, but I was curious, so I read the spoilers.
Well, the episode itself seemed fine. It was just annoying that the soldiers didn't even try to shoot Violet. They were just trying to kill her using their bayonets. Obviously I do not want Violet to be dodging like ultra instinct Goku, but that scene was just annoying.
I understand Violet doesn't want to kill people, but I'm sure she could shoot them without killing them, since she's some sort of super soldier, and must have sick aim.

Well, probably next episode will wrap things up.

The same scene ocurred in the episode 9 and i think that nobody said something besides me! :(
Mar 29, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2009
Manga/LN readers will do this to every series that gets an anime adaption, you just have to learn to ignore it like most of us do. If you enjoy it that's great, let them whine.
Mar 29, 2018 4:22 AM

Sep 2017
did these soldiers forget how to use guns? like yeah just run at her???
Mar 29, 2018 4:25 AM

Dec 2016
Violet in the right place at the right time.

It sad that there are people who want to stop the peace talks but you can understand the reason that he gave, sometime war is just like that.

The old Violet would have beaten them all easily without a care in the world but unfortunately she got hurt a lot trying to save them all while fighting, shows how much she has changed and cares for human lives.

I think I understand why Diethard doesn't like Violet much, its because of his brother''s death, right at the end there he nearly broke down taking about the loss of Gilbert.

I hope Violet is alright from that, not sure how much damage deflecting that shell has done to her.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Yesterday, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.