Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2018 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Looks like they are splitting the ”final arc” into 2 or more seasons. Seems like good news to me because of how action heavy the current arc is and has been, the staff needs time to animate the action scenes. This’ll probably/hopefully also increase the quality of the animation and action scenes, because the current season has had some pretty mediocre animation which was expected because how action heavy the arc is.

What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: Seems like they said that the second cour will be the "climax"
removed-userMar 19, 2018 9:12 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 18, 2018 12:25 PM

Sep 2015
A bit annoyed, but I'll take it if they make the best of it.
Mar 18, 2018 1:11 PM

Jan 2017
meh why can't we get long running Gintama like we used to? those 12 episodes seasons are always lackluster
Mar 18, 2018 1:12 PM

Jan 2016
The most annoying thing about this is that my mean score will go up because I'll be awarding another season a score of 10..........

Mar 18, 2018 2:03 PM

Jul 2015
AisBarbs said:
meh why can't we get long running Gintama like we used to? those 12 episodes seasons are always lackluster
51 episodes of Serious arc level episode? You serious? lololololol(especailly with how rare it is for a anime to even get 3 cours now)
Sup...
Mar 18, 2018 2:04 PM

Jul 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if there is another 3 month break after the 2nd cour, because the manga looks like it's having a Part 3 and I don't see the manga ending till sometime between Summer 2018-Winter 2019
Sup...
Mar 18, 2018 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
I'm angry they didnt just wait till they could do this all in 1 run, but I guess this is a good thing cause the manga doesnt seem to be wanting to end.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 18, 2018 3:19 PM

Apr 2016
Cool! Another entry in the top 20!
Mar 18, 2018 3:32 PM
Mar 2018
I'm not too mad tho, since then the final part of the arc may become more amazing. My only concern is that the salty non-Gintama watchers will probably rate it 1/10 again to make it fall out of top 10. They just don't understand that Gintama actually deserves it
Mar 18, 2018 7:13 PM

Jul 2015
Any of you guys think Silver Soul will pull a Durarara second season?(where it had 3 cours...but with 3 month breaks in-between each cour)
Sup...
Mar 18, 2018 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
With how the manga is going ATM. I wonder if there will be 3 Silver Soul seasons.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Mar 18, 2018 8:31 PM

Oct 2015
They know how MAL works so of course they made it split-cour ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 19, 2018 3:55 AM

Oct 2015
I don't read the manga, but I often check if it has ended yet. So it's going to be at least 2 seasons, but probably 3.

Which means it's going to end early 2019, I suppose? It ends when Dragon Ball continues (I am just guessing, that would be ideal for them).

I don't like waiting, but I suppose it's fine, since the animation should be much better, if we give them time. I hope...
Mar 19, 2018 9:06 AM

Nov 2013
This gives me hope that the animation will be more consistent for the finale. I think they made the right move overall .
Mar 19, 2018 9:14 AM
May 2016
I don't what to say but Gintama is life
Mar 19, 2018 9:42 AM

Jun 2017
FireFistYK said:
The most annoying thing about this is that my mean score will go up because I'll be awarding another season a score of 10..........

So what? Having a high score should be something to be happy about since you only watch good things, I will never get the reasoning in MAL,the lower your mean is the cooler you are

Mar 19, 2018 9:46 AM

Sep 2011
IdleSolution said:
FireFistYK said:

So what? Having a high score should be something to be happy about since you only watch good things, I will never get the reasoning in MAL,the lower your mean is the cooler you are
i think the point is its artificially inflating the mean score, it is also good to have your mean score not too high cause otherwise youll just look like you like everything and in turn lose impact if you recommend something in the same way people that downvote everything lose impact if they say something is shit.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 19, 2018 9:50 AM

May 2012
IdleSolution said:
FireFistYK said:

Yeah I agree, seems weird to me as well. I've always thought that people with higher mean scores are happier people/ people who actually enjoy the medium and most of what they watch.

I only have like a 6 mean score but that's because I watch a lot of anime shorts and it feels weird to give a 1 minute commercial anything higher than a 6 lol
Mar 19, 2018 10:49 AM
Jun 2017
I thought there was only gonna be one more season?
Mar 19, 2018 10:52 AM

Jan 2016
IdleSolution said:
FireFistYK said:

Tbh I don't judge an anime to harshly, my mean score is only in the 7.60's which is kinda high. If I enjoy an anime I give it a score corresponding to my own rating system. Like mentioned what I don't like is artificially inflating the mean score

Mar 19, 2018 11:42 AM

Mar 2018

New Opening.yay.
Though I dont want the current ed to end :'(

A solid 8/10 season for me thus far, but I would like that "Gintama-esque" characteristic and feels to be there in the upcoming arc/season to make it the 10/10 I am fond of.
If the upcoming season is the climax like you said, then I can't wait!
Mar 19, 2018 11:43 AM

Sep 2015
SenpaiJay98 said:
AisBarbs said:
51 episodes of Serious arc level episode? You serious? lololololol(especailly with how rare it is for a anime to even get 3 cours now)

Hey, what about Twin Star Exorcists, Fullmetal Alchemist and Black Clover? All these shows are almost entirely action and they have 51 episodes. I just don't see what's so funny about wishing it was 51 episodes like all the other seasons. Just because it is action heavy? Even if the animators or studio couldn't handle such a strain on their own, no one was rushing them to get it out so quickly in the first place. It was them that did because of some bullshit reason, and it ruined the whole anime's release flow. Just quit acting stuck up like that, because we have a reason to be frustrated by this news.

JizzyHitler said:
I'm angry they didnt just wait till they could do this all in 1 run, but I guess this is a good thing cause the manga doesnt seem to be wanting to end.

Agreed. I would have preferred waiting 2 years for a continuation of Gintama 2015 instead of chopping up the seasons like this and just giving it 25-50 episodes depending on how long the manga goes for. They could have just did what FMAB did and end the anime and manga at similar times, while the anime caught up with the massive gap left in the manga.

Meryeme-Mery said:

I would like to celebrate with you, but it begs the question if we'll ever get another season in the top 10...
Mar 19, 2018 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
Draconix814 said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

Hey, what about Twin Star Exorcists, Fullmetal Alchemist and Black Clover? All these shows are almost entirely action and they have 51 episodes. I just don't see what's so funny about wishing it was 51 episodes like all the other seasons. Just because it is action heavy? Even if the animators or studio couldn't handle such a strain on their own, no one was rushing them to get it out so quickly in the first place. It was them that did because of some bullshit reason, and it ruined the whole anime's release flow. Just quit acting stuck up like that, because we have a reason to be frustrated by this news.

JizzyHitler said:

Agreed. I would have preferred waiting 2 years for a continuation of Gintama 2015 instead of chopping up the seasons like this and just giving it 25-50 episodes depending on how long the manga goes for. They could have just did what FMAB did and end the anime and manga at similar times, while the anime caught up with the massive gap left in the manga.

Meryeme-Mery said:

I would like to celebrate with you, but it begs the question if we'll ever get another season in the top 10...
Fullmetal was in the 2000's era of anime and 9 years ago..., Twin Star and Black Clover are contracted to because of what the production committee wants from studio pierreot(I fucked their name lol, and this studio is one of the biggest thst comes with action anime...Sunrise isn't lol...why do you think their main series Gundams are mostly OVA's or 25 episode seasons now?), and that's like what...2 animes out of like 200-250 1-2 cour anime that comes out each year?
Sup...
Mar 19, 2018 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
MdotO said:

New Opening.yay.

A solid 8/10 season for me thus far, but I would like that "Gintama-esque" characteristic and feels to be there in the upcoming arc/season to make it the 10/10 I am fond of.

the latter half of the arc will be far more serious. so it won't be having the comedy like the first half that we have just seen
Mar 19, 2018 12:36 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Draconix814 said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

JizzyHitler said:

I think you're having the mentality the studio should be working on Gintama for a couple of years straight, then release a 51+ episode season, so it will be a long running season and they'll have a lot of time to make sure it had high production values. Even if BNP wants to do that, Bandai Namco Holdings, TV Tokyo and Aniplex wouldn't support that. Having a studio have an anime in production for so long without making any revenue until the end won't ensure proper gross. When the season is chunked up and released, the consistent BD and DVD sales are what will encourage its producers to let the anime continue. There's no point in comparing Gintama to FMA 2003. Back then, the anime industry had many animators. Now, the anime industry isn't in a good state as before. As for Black Clover and Twin Star Exorcist, those were airing in evening time slots, while Gintama is late night. Evening time slots can easily get multiple cours at the same time, late night timeslots cannot. Gintama used to have an evening timeslot until the Rakuyou arc, where it got the late night timeslot because it's TV ratings aren't the highest (and besides, Gintama gets its revenue from BD and DVD sales) and its content isn't suitable for a family-friendly evening slot anymore (though it never was to begin with). Since then, Gintama can only get one-cour seasons, or at most, two-cours with reruns or Porori-hen. And Black Clover and Twin Star Exorcist aren't even that action heavy. Most of it's just adventure, not actual fighting. Plus they have tons of fillers that give the studio an opportunity to go easy on its production values. Plus, they have to outsource their animation, which is costly. But their high TV ratings allow them to do so. Gintama used to outsource with Wanpack, but that got closed down. They have no outsourcing method. Not to mention that its TV ratings aren't high enough to encourage Bandai Namco Holdings to allow Gintama to outsource.

I bet BNP wanted to do what FMAB did, but Sorachi basically adding a new arc in the series messed up their plans. And no matter what, Bandai Namco Holdings forced BNP to produced a Gintama anime this year. Considering how a Gintama video game came out in January, the manga's reach its "climax", a second live-action movie is coming out in August, Ginpachi-sensei light novels are continuing, Bandai Namco needs to ensure that the Gintama franchise is maximising their profits by having Gintama's anime being produced at the same time. They're trying to get their revenue via Gintama being a multi-media project basically. They did the same thing last year, by releasing Rakuyou while the manga's getting popularity from starting its final arc and a live-action movie being announced. The Gintama anime is used to support the other mediums, alongside with itself. People are being just as stuck-up by ignoring the business aspect of these choices. Buy having the second cour air in July, it will coincide with the second live-action movie's release in August, which is perfect for both Warner Bros (live-action movie producers) and Bandai Namco Holdings.
Mar 19, 2018 12:37 PM

Sep 2015
SenpaiJay98 said:
Draconix814 said:

Fullmetal was in the 2000's era of anime and 9 years ago..., Twin Star and Black Clover are contracted to because of what the production committee wants from studio pierreot(I fucked their name lol, and this studio is one of the biggest thst comes with action anime...Sunrise isn't lol...why do you think their main series Gundams are mostly OVA's or 25 episode seasons now?), and that's like what...2 animes out of like 200-250 1-2 cour anime that comes out each year?

What's your point? We all know not everything is long-running, but Gintama IS a long-running anime. That's part of its appeal. My point was that they didn't need to feel pressured to release so many seasons at one time because it is frustrating to its fanbase, not to compare it to every other anime this season that doesn't have more than two cours.

And that's also a gross over-simplification of how many multiple-cours anime come out each year. What about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Boruto and the plethora of kids shows that air each season? Not to mention the fact that the number of 2 cour anime has been increasing for a while now, and most of them have had above average to stellar production values. This is because they put a lot of time into producing it, instead of just rushing to get seasons out.
Mar 19, 2018 1:07 PM

Jul 2015
Draconix814 said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

What's your point? We all know not everything is long-running, but Gintama IS a long-running anime. That's part of its appeal. My point was that they didn't need to feel pressured to release so many seasons at one time because it is frustrating to its fanbase, not to compare it to every other anime this season that doesn't have more than two cours.

And that's also a gross over-simplification of how many multiple-cours anime come out each year. What about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Boruto and the plethora of kids shows that air each season? Not to mention the fact that the number of 2 cour anime has been increasing for a while now, and most of them have had above average to stellar production values. This is because they put a lot of time into producing it, instead of just rushing to get seasons out.
it Was long running, but anymore since it went full action, Jojo is long running either lol it had a 3 cour season once, the rest is two cour(stardust had a break inbetween also, they took a break after Part 2, they are taking a break after Part 4 ended), Boruto is Studio Pierett yet again(and I already explained why them, and arguably Tori is the only ones that do long running shounens now)
Sup...
Mar 19, 2018 1:10 PM

Sep 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Draconix814 said:

I think you're having the mentality the studio should be working on Gintama for a couple of years straight, then release a 51+ episode season, so it will be a long running season and they'll have a lot of time to make sure it had high production values. Even if BNP wants to do that, Bandai Namco Holdings, TV Tokyo and Aniplex wouldn't support that. Having a studio have an anime in production for so long without making any revenue until the end won't ensure proper gross. When the season is chunked up and released, the consistent BD and DVD sales are what will encourage its producers to let the anime continue. There's no point in comparing Gintama to FMA 2003. Back then, the anime industry had many animators. Now, the anime industry isn't in a good state as before. As for Black Clover and Twin Star Exorcist, those were airing in evening time slots, while Gintama is late night. Evening time slots can easily get multiple cours at the same time, late night timeslots cannot. Gintama used to have an evening timeslot until the Rakuyou arc, where it got the late night timeslot because it's TV ratings aren't the highest (and besides, Gintama gets its revenue from BD and DVD sales) and its content isn't suitable for a family-friendly evening slot anymore (though it never was to begin with). Since then, Gintama can only get one-cour seasons, or at most, two-cours with reruns or Porori-hen. And Black Clover and Twin Star Exorcist aren't even that action heavy. Most of it's just adventure, not actual fighting. Plus they have tons of fillers that give the studio an opportunity to go easy on its production values. Plus, they have to outsource their animation, which is costly. But their high TV ratings allow them to do so. Gintama used to outsource with Wanpack, but that got closed down. They have no outsourcing method. Not to mention that its TV ratings aren't high enough to encourage Bandai Namco Holdings to allow Gintama to outsource.

I bet BNP wanted to do what FMAB did, but Sorachi basically adding a new arc in the series messed up their plans. And no matter what, Bandai Namco Holdings forced BNP to produced a Gintama anime this year. Considering how a Gintama video game came out in January, the manga's reach its "climax", a second live-action movie is coming out in August, Ginpachi-sensei light novels are continuing, Bandai Namco needs to ensure that the Gintama franchise is maximising their profits by having Gintama's anime being produced at the same time. They're trying to get their revenue via Gintama being a multi-media project basically. They did the same thing last year, by releasing Rakuyou while the manga's getting popularity from starting its final arc and a live-action movie being announced. The Gintama anime is used to support the other mediums, alongside with itself. People are being just as stuck-up by ignoring the business aspect of these choices. Buy having the second cour air in July, it will coincide with the second live-action movie's release in August, which is perfect for both Warner Bros (live-action movie producers) and Bandai Namco Holdings.

Alright fine, so let's say that they couldn't support the business schedule I spoke of as opposed to yours, which would make more sense from that perspective. I still believe they could have gone about it a smarter way. I understand that Gintama now has limited resources now more than ever, but the rushing and lack of communication are still evident. Gintama. was a rushed production, Gintama.: Porori Hen didn't need to exist, and they could have talked to Sorachi to better anticipate when best to release another season. It seems the most that they could produce is two cours at most, with the budget they have, but if they subtracted the amount it cost for them to make Porori-hen and put it towards a 2 cour adaptation of the final ark when both the anime and manga was ready, then perhaps finishing up whatever was left afterwards at a later time, then everything could have gone much more smoothly, even if it wasn't a 51 episode cour. There are plenty of other multi-media franchises that have smarter approaches, just look at the juggernauts of idol anime, Love Live!, run by Sunrise themselves. It didn't need another cour every other season, and though Gintama is debatably less popular (it still the most popular its been in a long time), if only it took smarter steps to keep itself relevant, then this problem wouldn't have happened. Honestly, I don't know how Japanese fans are reacting to all of this split season adaptations, these decisions could be like Heaven on Earth to them for all I know, but what I do know is that this is getting annoying and I am frustrated with them myself. I believe that was the point I was trying to make, wasn't it? That said, I know a lot of people are getting sick of it too, both inside and outside of the western fanbase, and the last thing we need is for all of this to get dragged out until it loses its impact altogether.
Mar 19, 2018 1:11 PM
Aug 2013
I screamt when i saw when the Part 2 will begin.Seems so far ! I just hope i'm gonna see what i'm waiting for before the break.
Mar 19, 2018 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
SenpaiJay98 said:
Draconix814 said:

it Was long running, but anymore since it went full action, Jojo is long running either lol it had a 3 cour season once, the rest is two cour(stardust had a break inbetween also, they took a break after Part 2, they are taking a break after Part 4 ended), Boruto is Studio Pierett yet again(and I already explained why them, and arguably Tori is the only ones that do long running shounens now)

The only thing I did understand here is that you think I meant that Jojos was long-running when I said "multiple cours". I know Jojo's isn't a long-running series, I was talking about any anime that was more than 2 cours long, hence "multiple cours". At least read half of what I said before lazily responding.
Mar 19, 2018 1:31 PM

Jul 2015
Draconix814 said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

The only thing I did understand here is that you think I meant that Jojos was long-running when I said "multiple cours". I know Jojo's isn't a long-running series, I was talking about any anime that was more than 2 cours long, hence "multiple cours". At least read half of what I said before lazily responding.
yeah, and for jojo it only had a 3 cour season once in it's 4 year run so far(6 if you count the hiatus it's on now), and I said they're rare, not that they don't happen(if you add Boruto,Black Clover, Jojo part 4, Twin Star, Yu-gi-oh, etc.) That's still like less than 3%-10% of anime that come out today(that or 1 or 2 cour straight)
SenpaiJay98Mar 19, 2018 1:46 PM
Sup...
Mar 19, 2018 2:35 PM

Mar 2018
Ary5000 said:
MdotO said:

New Opening.yay.

the latter half of the arc will be far more serious. so it won't be having the comedy like the first half that we have just seen

I didn't mind the comedy at all, tbh though some parts did feel forced but most of it was genuinely hilarious. Personally I loved the reference to neon genesis evangelion in the latest episode.They did it quite a long time back as well.

But I do hope the next season has more action, seriousness, emotions and the Gintama flair.I mean I have very high expectations from Gintama XD

Mar 19, 2018 2:41 PM

Apr 2016
Draconix814 said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

JizzyHitler said:

Meryeme-Mery said:

I don't know about top 10, but top 20 would be easy, we'll have to wait till July to know, and the fact that i have to wait a whole season is stressing me
Mar 19, 2018 3:33 PM

Sep 2015
Even bandai can't handle too many action Gintama for whole season.
Into the Internet!
Mar 19, 2018 3:58 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Draconix814 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Alright fine, so let's say that they couldn't support the business schedule I spoke of as opposed to yours, which would make more sense from that perspective. I still believe they could have gone about it a smarter way. I understand that Gintama now has limited resources now more than ever, but the rushing and lack of communication are still evident. Gintama. was a rushed production, Gintama.: Porori Hen didn't need to exist, and they could have talked to Sorachi to better anticipate when best to release another season. It seems the most that they could produce is two cours at most, with the budget they have, but if they subtracted the amount it cost for them to make Porori-hen and put it towards a 2 cour adaptation of the final ark when both the anime and manga was ready, then perhaps finishing up whatever was left afterwards at a later time, then everything could have gone much more smoothly, even if it wasn't a 51 episode cour. There are plenty of other multi-media franchises that have smarter approaches, just look at the juggernauts of idol anime, Love Live!, run by Sunrise themselves. It didn't need another cour every other season, and though Gintama is debatably less popular (it still the most popular its been in a long time), if only it took smarter steps to keep itself relevant, then this problem wouldn't have happened. Honestly, I don't know how Japanese fans are reacting to all of this split season adaptations, these decisions could be like Heaven on Earth to them for all I know, but what I do know is that this is getting annoying and I am frustrated with them myself. I believe that was the point I was trying to make, wasn't it? That said, I know a lot of people are getting sick of it too, both inside and outside of the western fanbase, and the last thing we need is for all of this to get dragged out until it loses its impact altogether.
Gintama. wasn't truly a rushed production, and the studio and producers were satisfied with the end results. Idk where people get the idea that it's a rushed production, only because of it outsourcing some stuff. It's anime adaptation was announced 4 months prior to its airing and it's been in production soon after it's Hinamatsuri event in 2016. They probably started production 4-5 months prior to it airing, which is a good amount of time. They had to outsource because its a difficult production. There were many fights to animate, more than Gintama has ever done for a cour. For a 12 episode arc where 9 of the episodes are heavy on action, they only managed to mess-up the 11th episode, and they didn't even mess-up the entirety of the episode either. Everything else looked solid tbh. There's a couple of still frames here and there, but it's considerably less than the current season. MAL doesn't indicate how much people like or dislike Gintama.: Porori-hen. In Japan, the buzz around Porori-hen prior to its broadcast was huge. Fans weren't expecting BNP to animate the skipped manga chapters, and some of these arcs were really loved by Japanese readers, particularly the Guardian Spirits arc and the HDZ48 arc. Saying Porori-hen didn't need to exist is a bold claim, since it's pretty well liked in Japan. And personally, It's my fifth favorite Gintama season out of seven (beating the original series and Gintama'). Also, keep in mind that the final arc has the potential of going on for the entire year now, so the final arc will certainly need a 3-cour adaptation. You're stating that they had the budget for 2-cour, but that still wouldn't be enough. And really, it's more like they had the budget for 1.5 cour. Porori-hen's production value was intentionally low. They needed to air the final arc by 2018, but the studio really wanted to adapt the skipped chapters too. No one in Japan was surprised by Porori-hen's lack of production values, considering it's an adaptation of skipped comedy arcs, and it's a season that lacks in action. Even then, there were some impressive cuts from the season.

The lack of communication is a thing, and it's been a thing since the second Gintama movie. Not sure if you know this, but Enchousen wasn't really supposed to be a thing. The old Gintama season used to get 4-5% TV ratings, which are extremely high. But Gintama' dropped to below 2%. Because of this, Sunrise decided to make the second movie as a finale since they didn't want to continue the anime anymore. Sorachi was supposed to write the movie scenario, but he took way to long and he finished the script almost half a year later than he's supposed to. Because of this, Sunrise had to create Enchousen to keep the Gintama anime relevant before the movie comes out. Enchousen was a true rushed production, and that's why out of the 23 episodes broadcasted, only 13 of them were new episodes and the rest of it was reruns. This whole issue made Sunrise Division 5 (which is the division working on Gintama) a bit salty about Sorachi. Sorachi was payed a fixed fee for the script, but no royalty percentage of the movie's income once it was out. This made Sorachi salty, since the movie earned quite a lot, yet Sorachi really gets nothing from it. Ever since then, Sunrise Division 5 and Sorachi have been kinda distant. Neither of them ever mention one another from what I've heard. Sunrise Division 5 later on worked on a much more profitable series like Aikatsu, then got their name changed to BNP. The reason why they went back to the Gintama anime was probably because Bandai Namco wanted Gintama's merchandise sales to remain strong (since it's assumingly their 4th most profitable series in terms of merchandise sales). And Gintama's just as relevant as it was before. Merchandise sales are stronger (and it has to do with BNP's new, brighter, attractive art-style), and the TV ratings are higher (Gintama. had a rating of 2.53%, which is higher than Gintama' and it's subpar 2%). BD and DVD sales have been a little less than usual. But it might have something to do with the new Gintama Blu-ray box sets. Recently, they've been compiling lots of the older episodes into premium box sets. Because of this, a lot of consumers aren't buying the newer seasons and would rather buy the much more attractive box sets when they come out (They're like 40000+ yen each, but they come with 30-50 episodes each, rather than the usual 3-4 episode per volume priced from 5000-6500 yen).

I haven't seen a single person on any Japanese discussion websites complaining about the split-cour. But no one's praising it either. Japanese people are kinda indifferent about this and they only thing they care about is the anime just getting a complete adaptation. Although Bandai Namco Holdings has been rushing with the Gintama anime by producing multiple seasons while the live-action movies are happening, it's most likely that they want to intentionally drag out the anime's production now. The thing about most Bandai Namco stuff, whether it be Gundam, Love Live, Gintama, or Code Geass, they love their merchandise sales more than anything. By having continuous Gundam, Love Live and Gintama seasons, they're ensuring that the merchandises continue to sell. The drop in merch sales for Code Geass is what ultimately made them announce some recap movies and another season. Gundam doesn't need a season every year because it's so goddamn big in Japan. Love Live is sort of the same, but they might have an anime or movie happening every year to make sure Love Live stays above other idol anime. When it comes to merchandise sales, the only shounen that beats it is One Piece. To make sure Gintama's merch sales remain high. They'll need a lot of seasons. For example, Gintama's merch sales in 2014 were very low because of a lack of anime. But Bandai Namco's current plannings are making sure that Gintama, at the very least, maintains its popularity.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. I probably should've summarized it better :/
Mar 19, 2018 5:50 PM
Jun 2017
well atleast i know that its more than a 1 season, and its a great one... i am enjoying this series so far...
Mar 19, 2018 7:36 PM

Sep 2016
EGOIST said:
They know how MAL works so of course they made it split-cour ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This made my day Lmfao
Mar 19, 2018 7:43 PM

Sep 2016
@GoldenDevilGamer Off topic but recently I finished the SA arc (your signature) and it was amazing OwO.

OT: I never knew Gintama made it's main revenue from Blu Ray sales. If only I had money then I'd buy it and support them ;-;

And Sorachi and Sunrise had a fallout? Why are they still doing Gintama then? I mean, I'm happy but the fact that this happened and that Sunrise is still continuing this is kinda wierd. Maybe cause they're now BNP and Bandai must have forced them?
Mar 19, 2018 8:08 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Yasaal said:
@GoldenDevilGamer Off topic but recently I finished the SA arc (your signature) and it was amazing OwO.

OT: I never knew Gintama made it's main revenue from Blu Ray sales. If only I had money then I'd buy it and support them ;-;

And Sorachi and Sunrise had a fallout? Why are they still doing Gintama then? I mean, I'm happy but the fact that this happened and that Sunrise is still continuing this is kinda wierd. Maybe cause they're now BNP and Bandai must have forced them?
Lol, that signature required a lot of encoding to keep in under the 300KB limit XD

Yeah, Gintama is the highest-selling long-running anime in Japan, both in total sales (over a million BD/DVD units sold) and average per unit (even with the drop in sales, its average is at 12,250 units per volume).

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a fallout. I'm sure Bandai Namco didn't mind too much. The movie was still a success and Enchousen was profitable. Sorachi was probably the one that felt the most offended. Him talking about the movie in his manga Q&As kinda sounded a bit salty. Considering how he wrote the script and did quite a bit of advertising, he was probably expecting some bonus. And the movie didn't boost the manga sales at all. The reason why Bandai Namco originally wanted to end Gintama was because of its TV ratings dropping (but the BD and DVD sales were still high). But after the movie earning a lot of money, Director Fujita did say that a continuation for the anime could possibly happen someday. Then BNP happened and Bandai Namco wanted to give some important license to them, so they owned the rights to Gintama, Aikatsu, and even Tiger and Bunny (which means that the new second season that was announced for T&B will be done by BNP... and that anime rains cash). And I think Bandai Namco thought that the best way to make BNP famous is by making Aikatsu and Gintama.
Mar 19, 2018 8:21 PM

Sep 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Yasaal said:

Lol, that signature required a lot of encoding to keep in under the 300KB limit XD

Yeah, Gintama is the highest-selling long-running anime in Japan, both in total sales (over a million BD/DVD units sold) and average per unit (even with the drop in sales, its average is at 12,250 units per volume).

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a fallout. I'm sure Bandai Namco didn't mind too much. The movie was still a success and Enchousen was profitable. Sorachi was probably the one that felt the most offended. Him talking about the movie in his manga Q&As kinda sounded a bit salty. Considering how he wrote the script and did quite a bit of advertising, he was probably expecting some bonus. And the movie didn't boost the manga sales at all. The reason why Bandai Namco originally wanted to end Gintama was because of its TV ratings dropping (but the BD and DVD sales were still high). But after the movie earning a lot of money, Director Fujita did say that a continuation for the anime could possibly happen someday. Then BNP happened and Bandai Namco wanted to give some important license to them, so they owned the rights to Gintama, Aikatsu, and even Tiger and Bunny (which means that the new second season that was announced for T&B will be done by BNP... and that anime rains cash). And I think Bandai Namco thought that the best way to make BNP famous is by making Aikatsu and Gintama.

Woah even if that was 144p that would be tough to encode yet you made it so well and at high quality.

Gintama is the highest? I thought it would be Bleach or One Piece? I mean they're more popular outside Japan as far as I know. Don't know about Japan itself though.

You could say that Bandai saved Gintama then else maybe we could never have gotten these wonderful seasons ^_^
Mar 19, 2018 8:39 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Yasaal said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Woah even if that was 144p that would be tough to encode yet you made it so well and at high quality.

Gintama is the highest? I thought it would be Bleach or One Piece? I mean they're more popular outside Japan as far as I know. Don't know about Japan itself though.

You could say that Bandai saved Gintama then else maybe we could never have gotten these wonderful seasons ^_^
Yeah, luckily I made the gif being 299KB. Barely made it :P

You can see the sales of highest-selling anime here: http://www.someanithing.com/2581
Keep in mind that you'll need to add the total of each Gintama season, and then it'll be at 1 million. Bleach and One Piece's total are a bit over 500k, but their average is considerably lower. Also, Gintama had separate Blu-ray box sets that bundled around 30-50 episodes per set, and these sold thousands despite being super expensive. That's not included in this list. One Piece is still more popular than Gintama though, but only in TV ratings, manga sales, and merchandise sales. Gintama beats One Piece at BD/DVD sales. Gintama beats Bleach in every way, besides TV ratings I think. Though the TV ratings dropped for Bleach by the end, so maybe it went lower than Gintama's.

Well, I'm glad that Bandai Namco decided to continue the anime and I'm contempt with BNP's work with it.
Mar 19, 2018 8:48 PM

Mar 2012
Welcome to part two.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Mar 19, 2018 10:32 PM

Sep 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Yasaal said:

Yeah, luckily I made the gif being 299KB. Barely made it :P

You can see the sales of highest-selling anime here: http://www.someanithing.com/2581
Keep in mind that you'll need to add the total of each Gintama season, and then it'll be at 1 million. Bleach and One Piece's total are a bit over 500k, but their average is considerably lower. Also, Gintama had separate Blu-ray box sets that bundled around 30-50 episodes per set, and these sold thousands despite being super expensive. That's not included in this list. One Piece is still more popular than Gintama though, but only in TV ratings, manga sales, and merchandise sales. Gintama beats One Piece at BD/DVD sales. Gintama beats Bleach in every way, besides TV ratings I think. Though the TV ratings dropped for Bleach by the end, so maybe it went lower than Gintama's.

Well, I'm glad that Bandai Namco decided to continue the anime and I'm contempt with BNP's work with it.

Not surprised Gintama surpassed Bleach everywhere. There is a reason Bleach is on a "hiatus" :P

But damn. I never knew Gintama was so successful in BD sales. I'm currently watching the Farewell Shinsengumi arc and so far I'm loving the art style change. Sunrise made Gintama lovable, but BNP's more modernised and vibrant style makes it so much more better. To think they're the same is quite amazing. Maybe the art director or something changed?
Mar 20, 2018 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
I just don't understand why MAL divides Porori-hen and Shirogane no Tamashii into two different 'seasons'. There were just 1 week of a break because of New Year's holidays between them. I'm a bit annoyed of these endless pages of Gintama anime here. You just can write that winter 'season' of SnT will return in July, but NO! Let's make one more page for the same arc.
Mar 20, 2018 3:25 AM

Sep 2017
rryohei said:
I just don't understand why MAL divides Porori-hen and Shirogane no Tamashii into two different 'seasons'. There were just 1 week of a break because of New Year's holidays between them. I'm a bit annoyed of these endless pages of Gintama anime here. You just can write that winter 'season' of SnT will return in July, but NO! Let's make one more page for the same arc.

porori is completely different from shirogane tho..but yeah i wished it had one 24/5 episode season rather than 2 12 ep seasons
Mar 20, 2018 3:37 AM

Aug 2012
Salamak said:
rryohei said:

porori is completely different from shirogane tho..but yeah i wished it had one 24/5 episode season rather than 2 12 ep seasons

porori and shirogane is just names of arcs. But it's okay. However, Shirogane doesn't need 2 different pages. Like in 2012-2013, when there were 2-months-break between Kintama and Ikkoku Keisei, nobody divided them as 2 seasons. Yes, tv-tokyo showed old series between these arcs, but in MAL 3rd season have only 13 new series. Why is SnT divided then?
Mar 20, 2018 6:34 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
rryohei said:
Salamak said:

porori and shirogane is just names of arcs. But it's okay. However, Shirogane doesn't need 2 different pages. Like in 2012-2013, when there were 2-months-break between Kintama and Ikkoku Keisei, nobody divided them as 2 seasons. Yes, tv-tokyo showed old series between these arcs, but in MAL 3rd season have only 13 new series. Why is SnT divided then?
It's the same reason why Yuuki Yuuna was given two separate seasons despite having a one week break (https://myanimelist.net/anime/34284/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru__Washio_Sumi_no_Shou and https://myanimelist.net/anime/34445/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru__Yuusha_no_Shou). Their BDs and DVDs use different names, and the same case is for Gintama. During Enchousen, Kintama-hen and Ikkoku-Keisei-hen were still just called "Gintama': Enchousen: on Blu-rays. But Porori-hen Blu-rays are called "Porori-hen", and Shirogane no Tamashii-hen arc is called "Shirogane no Tamashii-hen". Because of this, they get separate seasons.
Mar 20, 2018 10:29 AM

Aug 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
rryohei said:

It's the same reason why Yuuki Yuuna was given two separate seasons despite having a one week break (https://myanimelist.net/anime/34284/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru__Washio_Sumi_no_Shou and https://myanimelist.net/anime/34445/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru__Yuusha_no_Shou). Their BDs and DVDs use different names, and the same case is for Gintama. During Enchousen, Kintama-hen and Ikkoku-Keisei-hen were still just called "Gintama': Enchousen: on Blu-rays. But Porori-hen Blu-rays are called "Porori-hen", and Shirogane no Tamashii-hen arc is called "Shirogane no Tamashii-hen". Because of this, they get separate seasons.

Then what about shirogane no tamashii and shirogane no tamashii 2? Why are they separated? It would be more useful if it was one season.
Mar 20, 2018 10:48 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
rryohei said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Then what about shirogane no tamashii and shirogane no tamashii 2? Why are they separated? It would be more useful if it was one season.
That because it's a split course. Split cours would also get its own entry. If Shirogane no Tamashii-hen we're to be combined, then a lot of other anime on this website will need to be combined then.
Mar 20, 2018 12:53 PM

Dec 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Holy shit why is HxH 2011 so terrible on there? Like I knew it wasn't that great in sales but that is way too low.

GoldenDevilGamer said:

This^
Think about how many long Shounen manga adaptations never got to continue beyond their first series, I'm really glad Gintama isn't like that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Oct 7, 2018

142 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 3, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 30, 2018

76 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 2, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Aug 26, 2018

94 by MewkiWay »»
Jan 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 23, 2018

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 16, 2018

51 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.