Forum Settings
Forums

Stories themed with neutrality and rationality - absence of emotionalities and ideals

New
Feb 4, 2018 5:42 AM

Jan 2017
Neutral narration and characters. Absence of moral and emotionally driven conclusions.

Example:

Contemporary0091Mar 25, 2019 7:06 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 5, 2018 5:49 AM

Feb 2015
Violet evergarden main girl is kinda like that.
Feb 5, 2018 6:53 AM

Jan 2017
symbiotic said:
Violet evergarden main girl is kinda like that.

Stories, not only characters.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
Feb 9, 2018 9:21 AM
Mar 2017
Specific af.

Kiznaiver? It deals with emotions and shit.

Ef? Amnesia, I guess?

That show by a1 pictures... uh https://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori

Feb 9, 2018 9:50 AM

Jan 2017
Fallen-One said:
Specific af.

Kiznaiver? It deals with emotions and shit.

Ef? Amnesia, I guess?

That show by a1 pictures... uh https://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori

You're suggesting the opposite.
As I mentioned, a show that doesn't deal with emotions, which cuts out school, sexually frustrated teenagers and colorful hairs.
Contemporary0091Mar 8, 2020 12:38 AM
Feb 9, 2018 10:42 AM

Jun 2017
Well, I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for but I'll give a try:

Overlord: Main guy gets stuck in a game as a undead character. He acts very rationally and his NPC servants will do exactly what he says. If he gets too emotional his mind is forced to calm down due to his character settings. The whole show is about him being OP

Berserk: (watch original Kenpuu Denki Berserk (1997) or even movies, never watch Berserk 2016 or 2017 unless you wanna kill your eyes) It's mostly about mercenaries. I can't really say much because it will spoil things but the whole show is full of people who would to anything for their own benefit without much of thought. If you try original and want to watch chronologically, start with 2nd episode
SorrowanFeb 9, 2018 10:48 AM
Feb 9, 2018 11:06 AM

Jan 2017
Hillerih said:
Well, I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for but I'll give a try:

Overlord: Main guy gets stuck in a game as a undead character. He acts very rationally and his NPC servants will do exactly what he says. If he gets too emotional his mind is forced to calm down due to his character settings. The whole show is about him being OP

Berserk: (watch original Kenpuu Denki Berserk (1997) or even movies, never watch Berserk 2016 or 2017 unless you wanna kill your eyes) It's mostly about mercenaries. I can't really say much because it will spoil things but the whole show is full of people who would to anything for their own benefit without much of thought. If you try original and want to watch chronologically, start with 2nd episode

About the first one. It's only the character, not the story.

Berserk, I've read the manga and watched the series. The cast is mostly filled with naive and irrational characters.

Thanks by the way.
Feb 9, 2018 11:11 AM

Sep 2009
Sorry bud, you were born in the wrong part of the universe. Earth is inhabited by humans.
Maybe "Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e"
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 9, 2018 12:32 PM

Jan 2017
BlameSaiki said:
What's an example of what you're looking for? Because this is super specific.

Contemporary0091Feb 9, 2018 12:37 PM
Feb 10, 2018 11:30 AM

Jun 2016
Eell said:
Neutral narration and characters. Absence of moral and emotionally driven conclusions.

I have been watching this thread and to be fair I have no idea what you mean. We really have to find a way to better describe what you are looking for.There are eventually too many things you look fro the same time. On the top I think what you ask for is seemingly selfcontradictory.

When you ask for a neuetral narration does it mean it there is a clonflict (and a theme)? because you have to be neuetral to something unless there is no conflict or story, then we could flood this thread with slice of life recommendations.
So lets assume there is a neuetral narration to a conflict, the issue still remains that by intuitively looking for a character to attach people pick a side.

For example in Psychopass the show neuetrally depicts the position of the antagonist (though admitted it gives it less time) and also that of the Sibyl System but if you cant detach from the fact that the antagonist perform murders you will pick a side. IT is even worse in Psychopass 2 where majority of the watchers mess up theri expereience by picking a side against Sibyl even if the show neuetrally shows the position of all the 3 faction and describes a process of system changing in a way no other political anime ever had.

But ok lets assume the show gives equal focus on both sides and you are able to hold back and not to pick a side. Eg Akame ga Kill!
Then comes your second point: neuetral character. Which seems contradicting with neuetral narration.
There is a conflict and the character doesnt care? (NGE?)
OR does the character simply detach from the conflict and watch it from a distance. (maybe So Ra No Wo To? [didnt watch it yet just guessing from description])
OR trying to run away from it? (Trigun?)
Or characters just want to see and not judge (like Ashitaka from Mononoke Hime?) (photographer from Flag)

And the whole time I ask myself if the narration and the characters are neuetral what motivates me to watch at all? At least the story has to emotionally involve me at some point.
I was guessing around no idea if that helps. But if you help us to understand what you are looking for we may help you better.
Feb 10, 2018 11:43 AM

Jan 2017
XAnima13X said:
Eell said:

I have been watching this thread and to be fair I have no idea what you mean. We really have to find a way to better describe what you are looking for.There are eventually too many things you look fro the same time. On the top I think what you ask for is seemingly selfcontradictory.

When you ask for a neuetral narration does it mean it there is a clonflict (and a theme)? because you have to be neuetral to something unless there is no conflict or story, then we could flood this thread with slice of life recommendations.
So lets assume there is a neuetral narration to a conflict, the issue still remains that by intuitively looking for a character to attach people pick a side.

For example in Psychopass the show neuetrally depicts the position of the antagonist (though admitted it gives it less time) and also that of the Sibyl System but if you cant detach from the fact that the antagonist perform murders you will pick a side. IT is even worse in Psychopass 2 where majority of the watchers mess up theri expereience by picking a side against Sibyl even if the show neuetrally shows the position of all the 3 faction and describes a process of system changing in a way no other political anime ever had.

But ok lets assume the show gives equal focus on both sides and you are able to hold back and not to pick a side. Eg Akame ga Kill!
Then comes your second point: neuetral character. Which seems contradicting with neuetral narration.
There is a conflict and the character doesnt care? (NGE?)
OR does the character simply detach from the conflict and watch it from a distance. (maybe So Ra No Wo To? [didnt watch it yet just guessing from description])
OR trying to run away from it? (Trigun?)
Or characters just want to see and not judge (like Ashitaka from Mononoke Hime?) (photographer from Flag)

And the whole time I ask myself if the narration and the characters are neuetral what motivates me to watch at all? At least the story has to emotionally involve me at some point.
I was guessing around no idea if that helps. But if you help us to understand what you are looking for we may help you better.

That's another case and a discussion that doesn't belong to this thread. Some stories are neither emotional nor aimed at emotional people; only a line/network of events calculated and visualized.

PS: Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried them. None of them fall into this category.
Contemporary0091Mar 25, 2019 7:13 AM
Feb 10, 2018 12:16 PM

Oct 2012
Uhh maaaaybe legend of the galactic heros? I haven't seen much of it yet but it's a story mostly about political conflict and strategy.

I mean art tends to be emotionally driven though. That's kind of the point. You might be better off reading a book on philosophy.
Feb 10, 2018 2:07 PM

Dec 2017
Try oregairu. The story is all about it.
Feb 10, 2018 4:38 PM

Jul 2016
There's 1, but I doubt it's what you have in mind.
Roses are red, violets are blue
The words ahead are false
The words behind are true
Feb 10, 2018 5:15 PM

Jan 2017
DarkTyDe said:

If 001 is the 1 you're referring to, it's only a drawing practice.
Contemporary0091Mar 8, 2018 2:52 AM
Feb 10, 2018 5:54 PM

Jul 2016
Eell said:
DarkTyDe said:

If 001 is the 1 you're referng to, it's only a drawing practice.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to.
Roses are red, violets are blue
The words ahead are false
The words behind are true
Feb 11, 2018 5:57 AM
Feb 2018
Grave of the fireflies.
Next to no dialogue. Visually more suggestive. Characters rely on rationality than morals to survive.

You are asking for the next to impossible. Even a rational action has morality and emotion in it, unless your asking that the narration or characters doesn't forcefully show it, but rather remain quiet which I think you want. If it is then, it is next to impossible. That kind of story telling is very rare even in the film industry, much more so in the anime industry. Hopefully the suggestion I give you is enough.

To further realize what you want: A medieval scene where a knight cuts down a whole family without torture. No moral implication or emotions is suggested. He neither laughs, cry, or show sadness. The knight enters their domain and eats the stored food of the family. The family's blood spills from cuts made by the knight's sword. The knight eating his hearty meal with blood stained hands. After eating, he leaves without a word. He just simply killed them for food.
(Is that the kind of anime you want?)

I honestly want to see a series like that. What's the anime that you uploaded btw?

Feb 11, 2018 6:27 AM

Jan 2017
Alhdark said:
Grave of the fireflies.
Next to no dialogue. Visually more suggestive. Characters rely on rationality than morals to survive.

You are asking for the next to impossible. Even a rational action has morality and emotion in it, unless your asking that the narration or characters doesn't forcefully show it, but rather remain quiet which I think you want. If it is then, it is next to impossible. That kind of story telling is very rare even in the film industry, much more so in the anime industry. Hopefully the suggestion I give you is enough.

To further realize what you want: A medieval scene where a knight cuts down a whole family without torture. No moral implication or emotions is suggested. He neither laughs, cry, or show sadness. The knight enters their domain and eats the stored food of the family. The family's blood spills from cuts made by the knight's sword. The knight eating his hearty meal with blood stained hands. After eating, he leaves without a word. He just simply killed them for food.

I honestly want to see a series like that. What's the anime that you uploaded btw?

Grave of the fireflies is a case of subtle dramatization.

Medieval stories tend to include philosophizing and circular reasoning based on belief systems.

Feb 11, 2018 7:49 AM
Feb 2018
Eell said:
Alhdark said:
Grave of the fireflies.

Medieval stories tend to include philosophizing and circular reasoning based on belief systems.

Alright, I think I catch your drift. I think.

Try this: (Not exactly what you want. I think you may be able to appreciate it)
Texhnolyze
Serial Experiment

I highly doubt there is another one like Angel's Egg. Hmmm, even if there is a second, a third is definitely might not come out for a good time.
Feb 11, 2018 7:58 AM

Jan 2017
Alhdark said:
Eell said:

Alright, I think I catch your drift. I think.

Try this: (Not exactly what you want. I think you may be able to appreciate it)
Texhnolyze
Serial Experiment

I highly doubt there is another one like Angel's Egg. Hmmm, even if there is a second, a third is definitely might not come out for a good time.

Watched both of them. Texhnoylze works for the first seven episodes, then loyalty and liveliness come in and it changes the tone of the story. Lain doesn't work from the start.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Contemporary0091Aug 1, 2019 12:19 AM
Feb 24, 2018 10:33 AM

May 2016
Kaze no Na wa Amnesia

I would say of all the things besides Angle's Egg, this could come closests to it. I'll think about it to see if there is anything else
Feb 24, 2018 11:05 AM

Jan 2017
kimkotsu_ said:
Kaze no Na wa Amnesia

I would say of all the things besides Angle's Egg, this could come closests to it. I'll think about it to see if there is anything else

That would be appreciated.
I've seen KnNwA. The story is inconsistent.
Feb 24, 2018 11:11 AM
Jan 2017
I haven't gotten around to watching Angel's Egg yet, but I doubt there's much out there like it.

I think Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Neo Tokyo are films you'd like based off what's on your list though. Maybe Aoi Bungaku too.
matt4249Feb 24, 2018 11:15 AM
Feb 24, 2018 11:33 AM

Jan 2017
CynicalMatt said:
I haven't gotten around to watching Angel's Egg yet, but I doubt there's much out there like it.

I think Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Neo Tokyo are films you'd like based off what's on your list though. Maybe Aoi Bungaku too.

Completed. In VHD and Neo Tokyo the imagery is either artistic or comical. Aoi Bungaku doesn't work either, considering the irrationality of the character.
Contemporary0091Apr 3, 2021 8:31 PM
Mar 1, 2018 12:27 PM

Feb 2016
you mean something similar to kino's journey? maybe you can try humanity has declined
Mar 1, 2018 5:42 PM

Jan 2017
Nurlela said:
you mean something similar to kino's journey? maybe you can try humanity has declined

Kino's responses are mostly nonrational.
Contemporary0091Mar 2, 2018 4:54 AM
Mar 2, 2018 12:45 PM

Nov 2013
i remember blame! being quite empty on the emotional side of things, the world is really alien, desolate and distant too
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 7, 2018 2:05 AM

Jan 2017
Sad said:
i remember blame! being quite empty on the emotional side of things, the world is really alien, desolate and distant too

Only the first volume, now that I reread it.
Mar 15, 2018 8:52 AM

Apr 2017
I'm not sure but Darker Than Black may be the show you want. Characters called "contractors" always make their decision rationally. They're beings that discarded their emotions.
Mar 15, 2018 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
BroxSaurfang said:
I'm not sure but Darker Than Black may be the show you want. Characters called "contractors" always make their decision rationally. They're beings that discarded their emotions.

It's not theme of the story.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Mar 18, 2018 10:04 PM

Mar 2017
Ajin, maybe?
It fits some of what you described, somewhat.

EDIT: nvm, you already watched it. Also, you rated Baccano, a show which is opposite of what you're looking for, 5/10 lul.
Mar 18, 2018 10:20 PM

Jan 2017
DirtyFour34 said:
Ajin, maybe?

The main theme is action.
Completed both seasons.
Mar 27, 2018 2:37 PM

Feb 2017
lol good luck finding animes that fit your niche - niche (niche) ~niche~ of the niche criteria lololol
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Mar 28, 2018 10:37 AM

Oct 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28211/Harmony
https://myanimelist.net/anime/267/Gungrave

I think you can try both.
"The Universe has a beginning, but no end... Infinite.
Stars have beginnings too, but meet an end of their own making... Finite.
History has shown that those with wisdom are the greatest fools of all.
Fish that live in the sea know nothing of the land.
If they had that wisdom, they, too, would be ruined.
For humans to exceed the speed of light...
...is more foolish than for fish to start living on land.
These words are meant for those who dare to defy God's final warning...
An epigraph for their stubbornness."
Mar 28, 2018 11:40 AM

Jan 2017

They don't fit this category due to moral/emotional ideals.
Contemporary0091Mar 28, 2018 11:49 AM
Mar 28, 2018 11:59 AM

Sep 2017
I honestly doubt there's an anime like what you described since shows are mostly emotionally driven. But there are anime that fit parts of that description, like some users said above. Anyways, if you haven't watched it yet, you can try Mousou Dairinin. The characters have a lack of morals in this anime.

Eell said:
DirtyFour34 said:
Ajin, maybe?

The main theme is action.
Completed both seasons.

Action is a genre, not a theme.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Apr 19, 2018 10:50 AM
Jun 2008
You might try Perfect Insider. It's not exactly what you're looking for but you might be able to get something out of it.
Apr 19, 2018 11:06 AM

Feb 2017
Absence of morality as well as emotions..

Try Joker Game. Point of view is from a Japanese spy just before WW2

Compulsive Gambler is another one, though its less of a story and more of episodic situations.

"91 days" is also there, in which the MC is unaffected by pretty much everything. He just wants to destroy the mafia and plans it methodically without any qualms. Dont know if this fits exactly as to what you are looking for though
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Apr 19, 2018 11:58 AM

Jan 2018
So, if I'm getting you right you're looking for realism devoid of themes and morals. Like Angel's Egg, all of the characters' actions would be meaningless in the end, creating a very nihilistic-feeling universe. The characters in the story must be driven rationally, not emotionally. There are no ideals or value systems that the story enforces; rather, the story doesn't enforce any theme. From this lack of themes, the story's end feel is futility and nihilism (nihilism, by definition, is the rejection of meaning). Did I piece together your criteria correctly?
"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it." - Lord Orochimaru
Apr 19, 2018 12:52 PM

Jan 2017
FrozenLich said:
Absence of morality as well as emotions..

Try Joker Game. Point of view is from a Japanese spy just before WW2

Compulsive Gambler is another one, though its less of a story and more of episodic situations.

"91 days" is also there, in which the MC is unaffected by pretty much everything. He just wants to destroy the mafia and plans it methodically without any qualms. Dont know if this fits exactly as to what you are looking for though

They don't fall into this category.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Contemporary0091Apr 19, 2018 12:56 PM
Apr 19, 2018 12:59 PM

Jan 2018
Eell said:
cam609lee said:
So, if I'm getting you right you're looking for realism devoid of themes and morals. Like Angel's Egg, all of the characters' actions would be meaningless in the end, creating a very nihilistic-feeling universe. The characters in the story must be driven rationally, not emotionally. There are no ideals or value systems that the story enforces; rather, the story doesn't enforce any theme. From this lack of themes, the story's end feel is futility and nihilism (nihilism, by definition, is the rejection of meaning). Did I piece together your criteria correctly?

It comes close to it.

I doubt there's an anime that fits exactly what you're describing. The thematic journey of a story is what makes it appealing. An open-ended series where the interpretation is decided by the viewer would more likely fit your criteria than any others. If you're willing to practice a little bit of personal interpretation (ignoring some elements while recognizing others disproportionately), Ergo Proxy is a possible option. Since it explores what constitutes identity, motivations, life, etc. and ultimately concludes that it's arbitrary and mostly genetic, one could say that although the characters' motivations seem emotion-driven on the surface level, they are actually genetic-driven in the end (which is rational and nihilistic). Ergo Proxy ends with a feeling of hope, but this hope is actually just a facade since they failed to escape the cruel fatalism of their reality. Also, all of the characters' actions are ultimately meaningless, since they actually contribute to their fate-governed reality rather than oppose it (even though it seems at first that that's exactly what they're doing). Of course, this is just my interpretation and I may be projecting my own perspective one the series, fabricating traits that are simply not there. What you're looking for is very hard to find. The fact that this thread has continued so long without producing acceptable results is proof of this.
"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it." - Lord Orochimaru
Apr 19, 2018 1:22 PM

Jan 2017
cam609lee said:
Eell said:

It comes close to it.

I doubt there's an anime that fits exactly what you're describing. The thematic journey of a story is what makes it appealing. An open-ended series where the interpretation is decided by the viewer would more likely fit your criteria than any others. If you're willing to practice a little bit of personal interpretation (ignoring some elements while recognizing others disproportionately), Ergo Proxy is a possible option. Since it explores what constitutes identity, motivations, life, etc. and ultimately concludes that it's arbitrary and mostly genetic, one could say that although the characters' motivations seem emotion-driven on the surface level, they are actually genetic-driven in the end (which is rational and nihilistic). Ergo Proxy ends with a feeling of hope, but this hope is actually just a facade since they failed to escape the cruel fatalism of their reality. Also, all of the characters' actions are ultimately meaningless, since they actually contribute to their fate-governed reality rather than oppose it (even though it seems at first that that's exactly what they're doing). Of course, this is just my interpretation and I may be projecting my own perspective one the series, fabricating traits that are simply not there. What you're looking for is very hard to find. The fact that this thread has continued so long without producing acceptable results is proof of this.

I'm not looking for an open ended series.
I've already watched the Ergo Proxy and it's an inconsistent story.
Thanks for your recommendation.
Apr 27, 2018 7:16 PM

Jan 2013
Uh, maybe Texhnolyze? Lainn?

Apr 27, 2018 7:30 PM

Jan 2017
@Alhdark has suggested them in this thread.
Apr 29, 2018 11:44 PM

May 2012
Huummm...Bananya maybe?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32664/Bananya?q=bana
I despise woke people.
Apr 29, 2018 11:49 PM
May 2015
Well i just watched Angel's Egg, and the closest thing i can suggest would be Genius Party; episode 6 specifically. Genius Party is a collection of short animations done by different directors.
Apr 30, 2018 6:00 AM

Jan 2017
Like-Miles-Davis said:
Well i just watched Angel's Egg, and the closest thing i can suggest would be Genius Party; episode 6 specifically. Genius Party is a collection of short animations done by different directors.

Completed.
Most of the episodes have an artistic or dramatic approach.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Contemporary0091Apr 30, 2018 6:34 PM
Apr 30, 2018 6:22 PM
Apr 2017
genocidal organ

(didn't go through the walls of text above me so I'm not sure if what you've been looking for has been narrowed down)
May 6, 2018 4:54 AM

Dec 2015
This is kinda hard. I'm not really sure if it fits, as I've only seen a couple episodes, but maybe Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom could fit in your criteria
May 6, 2018 5:02 AM

May 2018
here's the list
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Akuma no riddle
GTO
Phi Brain: Puzzle of God
Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation
Osamu Dazai
Aoi Bungaku Series
Ito Junji Collection
flowers of evil
Hell Girl
oregairu
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
Jormungand
The Diary of Anne Frank
Grave of the Fireflies
Hammerhead

I Can Friday by Day! – Episode 19

Three Fallen Witnesses – Episode 17
Occultic; Nine

Ajin: Demi-Human
MONSTER , PSYCO-PASS, ELFIEN LEID
SHIKI , INUYASHIKI
, STEINS GATE , GHOST IN THE SHELL , BACCANO , ERGO PROXY , BLOOD SERIES
EXPERIMENT LAIN , PARANOIA AGENT , HELL GIRL
, MONOTAGARI , NOBLESSE , GOLGO 13 , PHANTOM REQUIEM
DANAGNRONPA

IT WILL QUENCH YOUR THIRST

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Yesterday

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
31 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

18 by windyshadow »»
51 minutes ago

» I have read and watched so many reincarnated OP MC and 99.99% of them are focus on magic and non-magic is pretty much useless, but is plot with latter actually exist?

aLotQuestion_ - Apr 10

14 by nishant0 »»
6 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

9 by Chisuku »»
7 hours ago

» Recommendations for manga with very close relationships

kamui_susanoo - Yesterday

3 by JKKH »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.