Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2018 7:22 PM
Jan 2017
I have seen some conversations about how code geass is full of Deux Ex and plot holes, bad writing and such. Can someone explain this dislike towards it. What were some examples of bad writing and Deux Ex?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2018 7:28 PM

Apr 2017
The beginning of Code Geass R2 was boring.

Also the Ragnarok Connection/C's World was poorly explained
Mar 12, 2018 7:29 PM

Jun 2017
When your logic is so smol-minded it doesn't even matter anymore.

WHy do people hate ANY anime for that matter.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Mar 12, 2018 7:31 PM

Jul 2017
a lot of people compare it too much with Death Note

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Mar 12, 2018 7:32 PM

Sep 2015
ZionPulse said:

WHy do people hate ANY anime for that matter.

because they may have liked the anime at some point before it took a hard right to shit town
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Mar 13, 2018 2:32 AM

Oct 2015
There was no one that is an L to Lelouch. Everyone acted inferior to Lelouch no matter what.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Mar 13, 2018 3:23 AM

Oct 2017
Didn't dislike it but the fast pacing had me confused quite frequently. There are times when I didn't understand the story so I was left blank until I looked up the episode plot summary online. I got a feeling this is just me though, I haven't seen other people with this issue as well.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Mar 13, 2018 3:42 AM

Jun 2017
I think it's great despite its fair share of ridiculous moments.

That scene where they play chess with their ships though... got to be the stupidest thing I've seen so far haha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Mar 13, 2018 4:10 AM

Apr 2016
Because it's one of the most popular and highly rated

People hate what they wanna hate, the number of haters usually commensurate with popularity so you get the idea.
Mar 13, 2018 4:13 AM
Jul 2016
It became boring at some point but nevertheless I completed the whole show and it was an amazing ride.
Mar 13, 2018 4:17 AM
Dec 2017
Every popular series has a fare share of haters or dislikers nevertheless it's still a great anime
Mar 13, 2018 4:17 AM

Oct 2017
Just enjoy the show you like... Don't care about what people say, since there will always be haters for every show...
Mar 13, 2018 4:22 AM

Oct 2013
there is a 48 minute video on YT if you're interested in one person's opinion
Mar 13, 2018 4:25 AM

Sep 2014
I can't say I disliked it for the story or any plot holes, since I didn't finish it. I just really disliked the art style.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 13, 2018 4:48 AM

Dec 2016
First season is entertaining and decent despite some minor issues.

But season 2 is just an epic disaster. As many people say, probably the dumbest show to ever take itself very seriously.
Mar 13, 2018 5:03 AM

Aug 2017
because its trash that only casuals like
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 5:23 AM
Jul 2018
its popular and all popular animes get hate

but at the end of the day its just peoples opinions everyone has them
Mar 13, 2018 6:01 AM

Nov 2017
As someone who really enjoyed Code Geass R1, I thought R2 dropped the ball in a lot of ways. It tries to do too much and fails to live up to a lot of the goals of the premise. Here are a few of my problems with it:

- The Ragnarok Connection and Geass origins come to mind as the major plot points that weren't really well implemented or resolved. Charles' (Human Instrumentality) project comes out of nowhere and ends up being a really anti-climactic resolution for the main villain. Lelouch shoots up the plot of the Geass research facility, before it gets any explanation, because his side-bitch died.

- It gets quite ridiculous with how easily everyone switches sides (Rolo is the worst for this) and/or becomes a high-school student for shits & giggles.

- Too much time is wasted on these school antics (Episodes where Lelouch goes on 50 dates and is assaulted by his instant-harem & the giant pizza repeat)

- The Chinese arc isn't really relevant other than providing Xingke for the Black Knights.

The ending is great though and well worth the ride. I just think there was a lot of squandered potential for the series to be more comprehensively satisfying.
Mar 13, 2018 6:05 AM

Sep 2017
Because of over high expectations. Personally, I like Code Geass because I lowered my expectations on this anime. Don't like mecha anime much but the story got me hooked.
Mar 13, 2018 6:10 AM

Sep 2014
Probably because it's very inconsistent and a lot of ideas didn't get the screentime they should have to develop and resolve them properly, especially in R2, while keeping the school subplot that could have been dropped halfway through

Personally I love Code Geass wholeheartedly and a lot of issues I recognise didn't bother me, or rather don't outweigh all the briliant and cool stuff. But I can understand where people who dislike it come from. It's not a perfect series, which is a bit of a shame, but I still adore it.
Mar 13, 2018 6:12 AM

Jan 2018
I'm going to post according to MAL suggestion system.

If you like strategy games, then you may like code geass. Then again, smart people would be offended by the flaws.
Mar 13, 2018 2:49 PM
Aug 2016
Why do people dislike stuff? Because. they. fucking. can.
Mar 13, 2018 3:29 PM
Oct 2017
Deknijff said:
there is a 48 minute video on YT if you're interested in one person's opinion

this guy's videos are pretty trash, he wastes the majority of the video explaining plot points. not really an "analysis" or really even an explanation

i haven't seen code geass so i have no opinion on it
Mar 13, 2018 3:47 PM

Jun 2014
I've never watched Code Geass, and I never will, because I absolutely hate the art style.

Mar 13, 2018 3:50 PM

Nov 2016
I don't like characters who are insane. Also don't like mechs and stuff.
Mar 13, 2018 6:49 PM
Jan 2018
Same problem as berserk; if you don't like horror-and-gore, or in this case melodrama-and-memes, the show is not for you, yet people recommend the show with no caveats like it's a flat inoffensive series like one piece.
provisoMar 13, 2018 7:45 PM
Mar 13, 2018 7:15 PM

Jan 2018
Fakegoose said:
a lot of people compare it too much with Death Note

This.

I think that Death Note is the better show. But, Lelouch is the better protagonist.
Mar 13, 2018 7:18 PM

Oct 2016
Honestly, there are not many CG haters as i've seen. From the mainstream ones it has quite favourable views unlike SAO, Death Note, Naruto, etc.
Mar 13, 2018 7:36 PM

Nov 2008
I only hate R2. I thought R1 was solid.

And I hate R2 because it started doing these....stupid random things....it just felt like they were making it up as they went along. :/ Very nonsenical....

Mar 13, 2018 7:56 PM

Aug 2014
well, speaking from personal experience for a second:

it kinda got me into anime, then I kinda became a ThatAnimeSnob-grade asshat midway through so I was a tad busy yelling at clouds that it was the most biggest worstestest crappy thing ever an it indeed is kinda bad when you dissect it analytically BUT

it's entertaining man

like it's that dumb as shit gundam AU with sparkly eyes and whack 3D chess, of course you'd hate it if you compared it to LoGH or whatever, but if you take it as it is, it's your mecha fast-food of the day, won't hurt you as long as you eat healthy mecha food the rest of the time

plus code geass and TTGL introduced me to the mecha genre, so thanks, I guess, were're cool now lelouch, no hard feelings

Blood tastes like iron
Mar 14, 2018 4:08 PM

Jun 2017
proviso said:
Same problem as berserk; if you don't like horror-and-gore, or in this case melodrama-and-memes, the show is not for you, yet people recommend the show with no caveats like it's a flat inoffensive series like one piece.

I dont like melodrama or memes and I like Code Geass

Mar 14, 2018 5:06 PM

Dec 2017
Cause these are the same people who are snobs about it. Shinzaki san manga had the perfect frame that explained this shit.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to γƒ†γ‚Ήγƒˆ by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 16, 2018 7:28 AM
Jan 2018
It's has a good story line but the art and character names are literally horrible.
Mar 16, 2018 8:57 AM

Dec 2017
?? It has a 8.79 score on MAL, so...... what makes you think it's disliked? Just because 5-6 people dislike it, doesn't mean that it's the same for other 600,000+ users...
Mar 17, 2018 12:41 PM
Jan 2018
IdleSolution said:
proviso said:

I dont like melodrama or memes and I like Code Geass

Yeah probably an exageration, I was speaking "colourfuly". But it definitely has a lot of melodrama and a lot of stuff that seems like meme-celebration-swarm-bait.
-But it is a good show in most respects so the proper way to say that is that if you don't have a strong tolerance for it its not for you, the show is good in most respects so you don't have to *actively* like it.

..But shit do they take some sharp left turns off cliffs out of fucking nowhere.

Reminds me of when I was watching death note and then this foot washing scene comes on out of nowhere. At first I was like what-the- ..-fuck is this, but in retrospect it was a good head warning, heads up, watch out, for a particular twist that was coming later.

But yeah, code geass goes in pretty hard for the 'wow this show has balls' value, and I don't think its any mystery that some people are gonna hate that.
provisoMar 17, 2018 12:45 PM
Feb 7, 2019 3:29 AM
Oct 2018
I'm only three episodes into Geass (tbh, mostly watching to see what they hype is all about- not expecting much from it, but maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised, who knows?), but my God- the art style is objectively dogshit. (Character art- backgrounds and mech design are good enough to call "average" at least)

And I usually like stuff from that era, but Geass looks like 5th rate shonencrap made to sell toys or some shitty card game from the mid-90s, 10 years before it was actually made.

Seeing an anime get a MAL score over 8, I'd expect it to be at least visually passable (and almost all are- I dont usually whine about "OmG, i cant believe not-my-favourite-anime got a good MAL score!!"), but CG and Elfen Lied are the two examples where i was shocked by how objectively shitty the art is, for animes people hold up as classics.
Feb 7, 2019 3:56 AM

Nov 2011
I quite like(d) Code Geass.. But let me add a few things :
-Lelouch's godskill to predict perfectly a conversation is the real deus ex machina..
-Suzaku's stupidity.. He is so hard kill too, lol, just adding my annoyance..
-No real strategy in CG battles, it's a problem because people like to compare it to Death Note and LoGtH which are clearly superior in this department..
-Charles's "Human Instrumentallity Project" coming from nowhere, and solved and forgotten in a mere episode or two..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 8, 2019 4:32 PM

Aug 2018
the scene i most liked,and most hated,was when lelouch was playing a chess game,with mao,betting the life of his beloved sister,and having to watch her die because of his imaturity and lack of geass ability,just to reveal that he actually used the geass in himself,just to prank mao and the viewers.And Nunnaly WAS OK!
Feb 9, 2019 9:14 AM
Aug 2016
because disliking something popular or well received makes u superior? People may think they are not like the common masses and have more "refined taste".
I will be the first person to point out that Code Geass has several issues and flaws and requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. But the "haters" make it sound like it is as bad as something like SAO which is ridiculous. It has one of the most satisfying endings of all time, not just anime. Lelouch was a very morally complex character. The character deaths were well executed. The action and plot twists(even if they were weird at times) were always entertaining. The show revolves around themes of morality like what is right and wrong and when the line is crossed? When can ur actions be justified and when they can't. I don't care what anyone says, this show succeded in a lot of ways than what it failed at.
Feb 10, 2019 9:55 AM
May 2014
I find the tonal imbalance to be the single most frustrating aspect about it. Not just about the light-hearted moments (which really do nothing for the shows story beyond following a generic anime formula that is determined to make characters more digestible and likeable, unlike the brilliance of the light hearted moments in a show like Neon Genesis Evangelion), but also just how funny the ridiculousness and edginess of the plans are. It was a much larger problem in Death Note, because it based its entire tension and climactic scenes on info dump conversations that pretended to be the most genius thing you have ever heard or witnessed, but nonetheless that same problem exists in Geass, although to a lesser degree since atleast you do get some interesting angles on the very gray line of morality and how characters on different sides are developed to a point where their ideals don't even matter and they are essentially doing the exact same thing.

That is the single most interesting angle of the show beyond the entertaining enough light-hearted moments. Everything else though is so cartoony, from how Lelouch loses control of his Geass for such a convenient turn to get a 2nd season and keep the story going to the very surface level and simplified real world themes it tries to bring over talking about authoritarian led/fascist governments with such lame dialogue.

It's decent enough as a show, but it also is very clearly the "you are too dumb to understand this complex work of art" show for 12 year olds.
Feb 10, 2019 12:27 PM
Feb 2017
elitist giving low rating i guess
May 14, 2019 9:50 PM

Jul 2016
Because it is bad and not good.
May 18, 2019 8:50 AM
Jan 2018
i was going to watch this myself but i might as well just watch the movies instead
May 18, 2019 1:31 PM

Dec 2013
Personally I think the thing that I disliked the most about r1 was the characters. They all felt very two-dimensional to me. Additionally there are some very contrived events (I'm looking at you Euphy) and why was there so much pizza filler? I enjoyed all the political stuff and Lelouch's ridiculous schemes but there was a lot that also got in the way of my enjoyment.

As for r2... I liked the ending and the lead-up to it. Although I found it highly unrealistic (a massive power vacuum like that pretty much guarantees a bloody power struggle), it was satisfying from the dramatic perspective and neatly ended Lelouch's character arc.

Now everything else about r2 though... whyyyyy? It was super contrived, the fights were solved by whichever side had a newer mech and don't even mention all the geass related shenanigans. Like all the world of C stuff is literally unwatchable to me now. Oh and Suzaku went from a well-intentioned (but dumb) idealist to having a moral compass of a wind wane, spinning wildly whenever the plot required it (and it's not the only spinning thing about him, I know)...

Oh, I guess I kinda also liked when Shirley died. Rolo though... nope.
NthDegreeMay 18, 2019 1:35 PM
May 18, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2009
Statistics
Score: 8.771 (scored by 707,959 users)

that is not dislike at all or you are being a perfectionist here and want 10.000 score for it?
May 18, 2019 2:19 PM
Apr 2016
I think because R2 has a lot of plot-holes, unlike season 1. Well, the other potential reason is the irrational biased one: Death Note fans purposively due to the widely known rivalry between the two shows.
May 18, 2019 2:27 PM

Dec 2018
I love Code Geass despite its flaws, but it definitely is flawed lol. The whole 'murder princess' thing was a massive plot conveinence that arose due to sunrise writing themself into a corner, C's world and about half of R2 it seemed to lose focus and have a bit of an identity crisis, and it didn't really know what it wanted to do. There are also a lot of 'semi-filler' episodes that just... they just suck.

That said, Code Geass does have some transcendental moments like Lelouch becoming emperor, the ending, and a few of his pivotal character moments. Also, CC is an elder sleeping god tier waifu and should be treated as such. Despite the people that shit on this moment, the Rolo death was impactful. Shirley too, but only for the impact it had on Lelouch, not on the narrative or us. Like, who cared about Shirley? (i didnt care about Rolo either tbf).
May 18, 2019 2:46 PM

Dec 2013
2ego said:
I think because R2 has a lot of plot-holes, unlike season 1. Well, the other potential reason is the irrational biased one: Death Note fans purposively due to the widely known rivalry between the two shows.

Eh, I actually disagree with that one. From what I've seen the majority of people who like Death Note also like Code Geass. Just take a look at the recommendations section to see a landslide of people recommending these two together. I have seen plenty of people to dislike Code Geass but they usually talk about plot holes you yourself mention rather than DN. I imagine the amount of people who'd feel the rivalry is very small... If they exist, I haven't met them.
May 18, 2019 2:57 PM

Jun 2017
Because Lelouch is the worst character ever
May 18, 2019 3:17 PM
Apr 2016
NthDegree said:
2ego said:

Eh, I actually disagree with that one. From what I've seen the majority of people who like Death Note also like Code Geass. Just take a look at the recommendations section to see a landslide of people recommending these two together. I have seen plenty of people to dislike Code Geass but they usually talk about plot holes you yourself mention rather than DN. I imagine the amount of people who'd feel the rivalry is very small... If they exist, I haven't met them.

Hmm, they do exist, but it's the smaller section of the community, ones that didn't watch many anime yet.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chilli-Kun - Apr 11, 2008

276 by CobraNotKatsura »»
Apr 23, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Feb 22, 2008

122 by shakinfuture2 »»
Apr 11, 4:51 AM

» Code Geass is an omnipandering anime ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 3

69 by AnimSr »»
Mar 31, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Feb 18, 2007

142 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Crystal - Feb 7, 2007

175 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.