Forum Settings
Forums

One positive life change that You've made after watching anime

New
Mar 14, 2018 8:14 AM

Jan 2018
I got more into Asian women. Kidding. Well, not really, I did date lire Asian women after I got into anime and I am dating one right now haha.

But, seriously, I'd say that I became more non conformist after I started watching anime more. I'll explain.

I didn't really get into anime until right before I turned 22. Then, by my 24th birthday I got really into it. Before that, I was all about Hollywood. I still love Hollywood. I live here and work here. But, I felt as though Hollywood were the only ones that made great shows and films. And that all other entertainment industries didn't matter as much.

But then, I started watching more and more Animes that touched me lore emotionally than a lot of what Hollywood had to offer. I started seeing more Anime shows and films that were deep and had philosophical and psychological ideas that weren't in Hollywood. Sometimes in an indie film, but that's still outside of Hollywood.

Once I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, my mind was officially fucked. It was a life changing experience in many ways. I then could see just how egocentric the West is and how egocentric I was as well. How closed off I was from other cultures and other ideas. I think that's why a lot of countries hate the U.S.A. We are raised to think that we are the best and no one else matters. I thought that the U.S.A did everything the best.

I then got into Japanese culture as a whole and read books like the way of the Tao and other things. I started eating more Japanese food and loved it. Baby steps.

The biggest thing was seeing how closed off a lot people were to anime and how judgemental they were to it. It was like a big mirror. It showed me that I couldn't be like that. That those people were in a lower level of consciousness. All they wanted to do was to conform and fit the status quo. I wanted to be myself and grow

It's funny how things that you least expect can have a big impact on your life. I originally only watched anime because of my roommate. But, it ended up being the catalyst for change.

So, what about you? Or, do you just watch for waifus and fights?
StarSwoardsmanMar 14, 2018 8:17 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 14, 2018 8:15 AM

Feb 2016
Becoming a weeb isn't a positive life change dude.
Mar 14, 2018 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
I (tried to) got into basketball. I don't do it anymore though
Mar 14, 2018 8:16 AM

Feb 2010
I haven't killed myself yet. Tho not sure that's a positive :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 14, 2018 8:17 AM

Sep 2017
You mean spending a whole day watching anime? Well not for me. I spend my time wisely.
Mar 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Mar 2015
Not anime, but the anime community made me feel better about myself when I realized there are even worse people than me out there
Mar 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Jan 2018
I should have known better than to try to post positive content on this forum. Most of you disappoint me.
Mar 14, 2018 8:22 AM

Jan 2018
Mirai said:
Not anime, but the anime community made me feel better about myself when I realized there are even worse people than me out there

That is exactly how I feel too! I never realized just how bad it was.
Mar 14, 2018 8:24 AM

Jan 2013
That's dope as fuck, all the power to you.

Anime humbled me to large extents as well. I remember crying for a character who's life panned out to repeat the same beats of despair that their family suffered from. Actually introduced the idea of compassion to me without even addressing it by name, that left a real impact. Now I put effort in helping others better themselves or their environments. Real shit right there.
Mar 14, 2018 8:26 AM
Feb 2018
That I started to draw and stopped with online games like League of legends, or after a few anime I will stop watching it and starting with some sports,

I think this is positive c:
Mar 14, 2018 8:27 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Actually started cooking more food at home. All these food anime/manga got me legitimately interested in it.
Mar 14, 2018 8:34 AM

Oct 2015
My copy pasta of mein waifu

Yui Kotegawa, it's more a personal reason but I'll say it anyway. It was the time when I was moving around away from my initial place where I grew up with my friends and Yui was my moral support, yes, a 2D female character gave me support. I eventually developed myself to a more what I consider a better person, or at least, a more interesting person that who I was, a meek and timid kid. I became sociable,
braver and has confidence, one might say even is overconfidence.

Then there is Joe, which made me care for a character that much again, maybe a person I would say. Also made me want to get into boxing, I never had a sport that I played, I wanted baseball, but it's a rarity around here.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 14, 2018 8:36 AM

Feb 2018
Well anime made me stop playing shity mobile games and so I stoped wasting a shit lot of money on them so I guess that's a positive development
Mar 14, 2018 8:39 AM

Jan 2016
positive? i guess, i am more appreciate and enjoying my life more than i used to
Mar 14, 2018 10:31 AM

Jan 2018
Chandela said:
That's dope as fuck, all the power to you.

Anime humbled me to large extents as well. I remember crying for a character who's life panned out to repeat the same beats of despair that their family suffered from. Actually introduced the idea of compassion to me without even addressing it by name, that left a real impact. Now I put effort in helping others better themselves or their environments. Real shit right there.

That kinda happened to me too. While I think that being super compassionate and all about love is a bit too idealistic, it's important to care for others. A lot of anime actually conveys this very well.

elodespise said:
That I started to draw and stopped with online games like League of legends, or after a few anime I will stop watching it and starting with some sports,

I think this is positive c:

That is positive.

Funny, when I got into anime I stopped playing video games too. Weird how that works.

-Lofn- said:
My copy pasta of mein waifu

Yui Kotegawa, it's more a personal reason but I'll say it anyway. It was the time when I was moving around away from my initial place where I grew up with my friends and Yui was my moral support, yes, a 2D female character gave me support. I eventually developed myself to a more what I consider a better person, or at least, a more interesting person that who I was, a meek and timid kid. I became sociable,
braver and has confidence, one might say even is overconfidence.

Then there is Joe, which made me care for a character that much again, maybe a person I would say. Also made me want to get into boxing, I never had a sport that I played, I wanted baseball, but it's a rarity around here.

Unorthodox. But, that is a positive life change!

xShinigami3125 said:
Well anime made me stop playing shity mobile games and so I stoped wasting a shit lot of money on them so I guess that's a positive development
That is. We all waste too much times on our phones in general.
ItsYaDi said:
positive? i guess, i am more appreciate and enjoying my life more than i used to
That is great! I'm not into escapism. But, it is nice to have something that can move you along through the day.
Stripes said:
Actually started cooking more food at home. All these food anime/manga got me legitimately interested in it.

That's kinda how Your Lie In April got me back into music. I was in a band for a while and play here and there. Now, I play the guitar everyday and play classical music on the piano. That alone has made my life much better.
Mar 14, 2018 10:36 AM

Sep 2017
Watching romantic anime has made me understand the importance of relationships.
Anime has also given me more inspiration to create music, and learn new instruments.
Mar 14, 2018 10:39 AM

Aug 2017
watching anime is as far as it goes for me, which is a good enough life change
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2018 10:42 AM

Jan 2018
i think anime is more than just watching something. it is enjoyment. it is satisfaction. it is just hobby that makes you feel comfortable.
however, u still have to continue your life for work, getting married with real woman, and getting older.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Mar 14, 2018 11:15 AM

Jan 2018
potatobuurr said:
Watching romantic anime has made me understand the importance of relationships.
Anime has also given me more inspiration to create music, and learn new instruments.

The amount of anime that can pull off a good Romance is a pleasant surprise. Hollywood does romance so horribly, especially as of late. And I'm not even into committed relationships which speaks volumes.

Yusnanism said:
i think anime is more than just watching something. it is enjoyment. it is satisfaction. it is just hobby that makes you feel comfortable.
however, u still have to continue your life for work, getting married with real woman, and getting older.

Watching anime or anything should be an experience where there is a take away that you can apply to your own life. That's why I am very selective of what I watch and don't just watch 15 shows a season like most do on here.

I don't know about getting married, but it's important to have a life purpose and and date and enjoy your life. But, all of that is just icing on the cake. The most important thing in life is being able to grow as a person, understand yourself, love yourself and be happy with just yourself, outside of anime, money, sex and etc.
Mar 14, 2018 1:21 PM

Sep 2015
Anime made me play the guitar, make me like politics more and becoming non conformist.

but, on the downside, i became a weeb.
Mar 14, 2018 1:25 PM

Jan 2018
It's a simple answer but watching anime just made me a happier person. Like it kind of just made me more optimistic and helped me appreciate life more.
Mar 14, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2018
velvetPhos said:
I started to play mahjong because of anime.
Not sure if this is a good thing.

What Anime got you into that?

Noirgyum said:
Anime made me play the guitar, make me like politics more and becoming non conformist.

I'm curious, what makes a weeb? I'm not into labels. But isn't a weeb by definition someone who tries to use Japanese words like chan, san, sama and etc?

Oct 2015
velvetPhos said:
Same here .
also i ve made friends with the same interest like me :)

Sep 2013
I had some kind of idea of how to portrait around woman because of anime. ( yes )
Mar 14, 2018 1:32 PM

Sep 2015
StarSwoardsman said:
velvetPhos said:

What Anime got you into that?

Noirgyum said:

I'm curious, what makes a weeb? I'm not into labels. But isn't a weeb by definition someone who tries to use Japanese words like chan, san, sama and etc?

Yes, and i use these, i have waifu and i love japan, i don't want to be asian tho, i'm happy being white.
Mar 14, 2018 1:39 PM

Dec 2017
Maybe became more rational and more confident on myself,and stop judging people by their apparence.
But for the negative one,I've a list but need to update it.
Mar 14, 2018 2:19 PM

Aug 2017
I don't know guess I just am happier and have made lots of friends through it
Mar 14, 2018 2:29 PM

Nov 2017
Watching anime had a huge impact on my life, just a few months ago actually. I've always had a difficult relationship with music (that's a really long story); watching more anime, getting emotional listening to soundtracks served me just well to get serious with drums and start studying piano. So, it was a great ispiration torwards my current life goal: to compose music applied to audiovisual contents :)
Mar 14, 2018 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
StarSwoardsman said:
I should have known better than to try to post positive content on this forum. Most of you disappoint me.

I feel like everyone in MAL just hates anime and is just "LMAO I'M ~LE IRONIC AND I JOKE THAT I'M DEPRESSED XDDDDD"

I would prefer is these forums were just filled with weebs.
Mar 14, 2018 3:15 PM
Aug 2016
A positive one? I'm not sure if that's even possible.
Mar 14, 2018 3:18 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
I think I've just become more down-to-earth and accepting in general, instead of being edgy and angsty. Though that could also be due to growing older... who knows, really.

Mar 14, 2018 3:41 PM

Apr 2015
Well, I don't watch anime as much as I used to but it helped me a lot. When high school made me stressed I would just watch anime and forget everything else, so I always felt better after. So I guess it helped to... not cry myself to sleep everyday lol

It also made me start drawing. I'm not THAT good but I'm not awful either. It's a nice hobby.

It made me discover other cultures, too. Especially Asian culture. I think Asian countries are interesting because they're a lot different than mine (Canada). I'd love to visit places in Asia one day (especially Japan, Korea or Thailand, these countries are so beautiful).
Mar 14, 2018 3:58 PM

Oct 2017
Well my life has been pretty lit even before and after anime. I mean I'm more open about being a nerd I guess. I'm the kind of guy who likes to party and shit but I often hide the fact that I do nerdy shit from people who aren't my friends. I mean this one chick I always talk to at work was curious about my phone case (which is an Akame ga Kill phone case) and asked about it. Now the girl is totally into the idea of hanging out and watching anime with me. I guess you could say me being more open about being a nerd is a positive life change, I mean I haven't had any negative experiences with anime at least. Other than that not much has changed. Also to the OP I will agree that Asian chicks are a thing for me now too that weren't before LOL.
Mar 14, 2018 4:04 PM

Jul 2017
After binging Psycho-Pass, terror in resonance and Welcome to the NHK in 2 weeks I changed my career (I was a journalist). Went back to school to get my PhD in political theory. Best decision I ever made.

Edit: As such, anime has a huge impact on my work. I use several anime to teach the foundations of political philosophy and to illustrate the versatility of human nature. Idk why, but anime tends to explore philosophical and political ideals on a much larger scale than other mediums. There are exceptions to this like game of thrones and the like. But all in all, anime tends to favor Machiavellian characters and Hobbseian environments, using them to explore social contract theory and the limits of humanity. Machievelli's Virtu and controlled cruelty concepts are especially prevalent- kind of mirroring the tactics employed with the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Pretty cool stuff.
RoDA-5015Mar 14, 2018 4:15 PM
Mar 14, 2018 4:08 PM

Feb 2018
I also started to enjoy playing music after watching Your Lie in April. I wanted to stop playing the viola because it was getting boring. After seeing Kaori energetically play at the audition, without going by what dynamic/etc was written in the sheet music and making it sound like a totally different song WHILE STILL MAKING IT SOUND SO AMAZING, I got the motivation to enter for a solo ensemble at school. I was unable to go, though because my teacher made a mistake. Still, I'm practicing a lot for a chance to insert my solo piece at the next concert!
Mar 14, 2018 4:31 PM

Apr 2016
Aria helps me have a more positive view of my surroundings, not much help though but I'm still trying.

LoGH gives me the motivation to do something big for my life rather than sitting all day long repeating the same pointless routine.
Mar 14, 2018 4:35 PM

Jul 2015
I've been having fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2018 4:36 PM
Jun 2016
Anime gave me back the inspiration I've lost long ago. You see, my country is not so great when it comes to art. all parents want their kids to become doctors and lawyers and such -.- when I was a kid I loved drawing, fiction writing, diy projects and etc but year after year I was getting so lost. When I started highschool I was like a machine. At my second year though, I discovered this thing called "anime" which changed me for good. I was like DAMN here is the thing I've been searching for all these years!! And I'm so happy. I now am drawing again and sometimes do little animations, I have a couple of friends I get along with whom I met through the anime community, and Japanese culture just fascinates me. Shortly, It made me a happier person :)
Mar 14, 2018 5:33 PM

Jan 2018
thewiru said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I feel like everyone in MAL just hates anime and is just "LMAO I'M ~LE IRONIC AND I JOKE THAT I'M DEPRESSED XDDDDD"

I would prefer is these forums were just filled with weebs.

We just need people here who are self loathing negative people.
Mar 14, 2018 5:54 PM

Jan 2017
Along with the globalist perspective that you talked about, I also have made a good group of non-judgemental friends via anime.

Also im not sure its a "positive change" but I was introduced to ramen (real ramen) by my anime friends and boy is that delicous!
Mar 14, 2018 6:50 PM

Jun 2013
Tbh ive had a negative experience people people with yellow fever and fetishize japanese girls are all around me lol..... whenever i go to historically important areas for japanese people its filled with weebs with little respect. As a japanese person it really grosses me out.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Mar 14, 2018 6:57 PM

May 2016
Why, it stopped me from becoming your everyday, inconsiderate, close minded, hiveminded, FREAKING NORMIE...

And that's the most positive change anime has to offer.
HyperLMar 14, 2018 7:02 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 14, 2018 7:11 PM
Jun 2017
I can't say it's a "life changer", because I've watch anime/ read manga since 3rd grade, you can say that i've never been a normie lol
But i can clearly say that it have a great impact on my perspective, out look on live, or just personality wise
no media can have a negative effect on you if you do it moderately
Mar 14, 2018 7:14 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
StarSwoardsman said:

I was basically gonna say the same thing lol.. you can't really expect anything but typical self loathing bullshit when you make a thread like this

unfortunately anime attracts really negative people
Mar 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Feb 2015
I know... That tissue was very pleased to be used. Waifus are indeed glorious. Yes, like how gradeschoolers are the best!
Mar 14, 2018 7:53 PM

Nov 2008
My creativity and artistic abilities just went through the roof. lol Animu/mango inspires me like nothing else has.

(well ok, Disney and Bluth did a lot too lol but not to this extent.)

oh, I fell in love with the language as well. As a young kid, I had no interest in that. XD

Mar 14, 2018 8:58 PM

Jan 2018
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I was basically gonna say the same thing lol.. you can't really expect anything but typical self loathing bullshit when you make a thread like this

unfortunately anime attracts really negative people

What's funny is that my friends IRL who are into anime are usually pretty upbeat. No one is perfect of course. But, damn. The Internet really attracts the negative peps.

It's that these people can't believe that their are people who watch anime and love themselves and accept that part of themselves. It's toxic.

Chiibi said:
My creativity and artistic abilities just went through the roof. lol Animu/mango inspires me like nothing else has.

(well ok, Disney and Bluth did a lot too lol but not to this extent.)

oh, I fell in love with the language as well. As a young kid, I had no interest in that. XD

That is another huge thing that anime has helped me with.

I was a good writer before getting into anime. But, after really getting into it my screenplays got more attention. I was able to get more creative and make more connections between anime and Western film.

Also, as an actor even before anime I have always been impressed with Asian actors. There are a lot of great Japanese voice actors.

And as a director, even before being a huge fan, Miyazaki was already my favorite director and had heavily influenced me. Now, people like Makoto Shinkai, Satoshi Kon, Marmoru Hosoda, , Takahata, Hideki Anno, Wantabe, Yamada, Tensei and others have become big influences on my style. Shinkai got me into detailed storyboards my and focusing on color. Yamada really got me into using camera angle in a unique way and visually finding humanity in a character outside of the eyes.
Mar 14, 2018 9:02 PM

Oct 2017
After watching One Piece and seeing how much of gentlemen Sanji was, I decided to better myself in a way he would be proud of and so I started respecting women and being chivalrous.
-SP-Mar 14, 2018 9:12 PM
Mar 14, 2018 9:21 PM

Nov 2017
StarSwoardsman said:
I got more into Asian women. Kidding. Well, not really, I did date lire Asian women after I got into anime and I am dating one right now haha.

But, seriously, I'd say that I became more non conformist after I started watching anime more. I'll explain.

I didn't really get into anime until right before I turned 22. Then, by my 24th birthday I got really into it. Before that, I was all about Hollywood. I still love Hollywood. I live here and work here. But, I felt as though Hollywood were the only ones that made great shows and films. And that all other entertainment industries didn't matter as much.

But then, I started watching more and more Animes that touched me lore emotionally than a lot of what Hollywood had to offer. I started seeing more Anime shows and films that were deep and had philosophical and psychological ideas that weren't in Hollywood. Sometimes in an indie film, but that's still outside of Hollywood.

Once I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, my mind was officially fucked. It was a life changing experience in many ways. I then could see just how egocentric the West is and how egocentric I was as well. How closed off I was from other cultures and other ideas. I think that's why a lot of countries hate the U.S.A. We are raised to think that we are the best and no one else matters. I thought that the U.S.A did everything the best.

I then got into Japanese culture as a whole and read books like the way of the Tao and other things. I started eating more Japanese food and loved it. Baby steps.

The biggest thing was seeing how closed off a lot people were to anime and how judgemental they were to it. It was like a big mirror. It showed me that I couldn't be like that. That those people were in a lower level of consciousness. All they wanted to do was to conform and fit the status quo. I wanted to be myself and grow

It's funny how things that you least expect can have a big impact on your life. I originally only watched anime because of my roommate. But, it ended up being the catalyst for change.

So, what about you? Or, do you just watch for waifus and fights?
anime has a postive affect upon me. It really changed my life. And i am a completly new one after watching anime. Anime not only inspires me but also give me the courage to fight for my goals. I am really happy that i atarted watching anime.
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Mar 17, 2018 8:07 AM
May 2016
Anime helped me cope after my grandfather died, and I became an otaku and everything that came with it. Having a serious waifu may sound crazy and weird, but seeing as I have a physical manifestation of my waifu at home (yeah, it's a body pillow) but the whole waifu thing motivated me and made me feel more confident and mature because I felt like I was working for somebody, coming home to someone and all that stuff.

Call me a psycho weeaboo all you want, but I'm studying a Bachelor's Degree so my lonely ass is gonna need all the support they can get, and if that comes from someone who isn't real, then that's good enough for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Lost anime Saki Sanobashi

neonmist - Nov 22, 2019

44 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

162 by the_foundation »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

16 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
7 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 45 minutes ago

6 by PostMahouShoujo »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.