Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2018 12:03 AM
Jan 2018
As you all know, majority of horror anime had failed to deliver quality scares.

If it were you who writes the horror story, what would you implement into the anime?

If it were me, I'd like to have japanese students go on a field trip somewhere in south-east Asia, but all of a sudden the plane went malfunction and crashed landed somewhere in an unknown island somewhere within the south-east.
Everyone in the plane survived but will they be able to escape from what's lurking within the abyss of Island.

South-east asian ghost are on another level frightening!!
similar to Cage of Eden but this time will revolve around hauntings

How about you guys?
Mar 14, 2018 12:14 AM
Feb 2018
Anime can't be scary. Cartoons are for kids, and as much as I love action shows, animation just isn't scary at all.
Mar 14, 2018 12:15 AM

Mar 2015
horror in general should stop rely on jumpscare and gore...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 14, 2018 12:16 AM
Jan 2012
Don't know what the actual content would be about, but if I wanted a good horror series I'd want one that wasn't so forced. Most anime try to claim to be horror just by adding tons of gore, and horrible situations instead of actually instilling fear. Many failed horror manga are trying way too hard to make characters insane (I do not like Higurashi, just making every character insane is not horror), or just making every situation try to be horrible and over the top (King's Game).

What the horror genre needs to fix itself is the same as every other genre- it needs good writing. Every genre of anime I see that's slowly failing is due to creators just taking all the low risk low reward elements from that genre and abusing them, like every Shounen main character has to be some "underdog" that is actually insanely overpowered, they just don't know it yet. Horror needs new ideas.

Also, a lot of horror manga get some pretty bad adaptations. The Junji Ito Collection isn't the worst adaptation I've seen, but it feels like a downgrade to just reading the mangas
Mar 14, 2018 12:22 AM
Jan 2018
burntphoenix said:
Don't know what the actual content would be about, but if I wanted a good horror series I'd want one that wasn't so forced. Most anime try to claim to be horror just by adding tons of gore, and horrible situations instead of actually instilling fear. Many failed horror manga are trying way too hard to make characters insane (I do not like Higurashi, just making every character insane is not horror), or just making every situation try to be horrible and over the top (King's Game).

What the horror genre needs to fix itself is the same as every other genre- it needs good writing. Every genre of anime I see that's slowly failing is due to creators just taking all the low risk low reward elements from that genre and abusing them, like every Shounen main character has to be some "underdog" that is actually insanely overpowered, they just don't know it yet. Horror needs new ideas.

Also, a lot of horror manga get some pretty bad adaptations. The Junji Ito Collection isn't the worst adaptation I've seen, but it feels like a downgrade to just reading the mangas

The only horror that sent shivers and doesnt rely on jumpscares, gore and insane characters is Ghost Hunt.
not close to the best but a better example
Mar 14, 2018 12:26 AM
Jan 2012
MsVitchDa2nd said:
burntphoenix said:

The only horror that sent shivers and doesnt rely on jumpscares, gore and insane characters is Ghost Hunt.
not close to the best but a better example

I actually plan to watch that, good to know it's scary without relying on those tropes
Mar 14, 2018 12:34 AM

Dec 2013
It's the psychological element that instills actual fear. Any horror show that fails to implement it properly is a fail.
Mar 14, 2018 12:38 AM
Jan 2018
ExactlyStandard said:
Anime can't be scary. Cartoons are for kids, and as much as I love action shows, animation just isn't scary at all.

well animation in games can be scary
Mar 14, 2018 12:39 AM

Aug 2017
ExactlyStandard said:

You haven't watched many genres to conclude animes are for kids.
Try Tasogare otome x amnesia, higurashi and see if you still say anime can't be scary.
Watching shounen is for kids. Don't lump the whole anime industry with a single genre.
Mar 14, 2018 12:40 AM
Feb 2018
MsVitchDa2nd said:
ExactlyStandard said:

Games are scary being you're actively experiencing it. Horror movies are scary because they look real. Horror anime is goofy and doesn't work. Anime characters are designed to be cutesy and that works really badly with scariness.
Mar 14, 2018 12:44 AM
Jan 2018
ExactlyStandard said:
MsVitchDa2nd said:

Games are scary being you're actively experiencing it. Horror movies are scary because they look real. Horror anime is goofy and doesn't work. Anime characters are designed to be cutesy and that works really badly with scariness.

hmmmmm try ghost hunt, not the best horror but still a better example that send shivers down your spine
Mar 14, 2018 12:47 AM

Dec 2014
Ito Junji and Ghost Hunt I guess? There are some "scary" scenes such as that one part in Made in Abyss etc. Idk, usually horror anime just presents scary concepts but doesn't actually do anything to make the viewer scared. I could be wrong ofc, I haven't seen too many "horror" anime.
Mar 14, 2018 12:49 AM
Jan 2018
PhysicsBook said:
Ito Junji and Ghost Hunt I guess? There are some "scary" scenes such as that one part in Made in Abyss etc. Idk, usually horror anime just presents scary concepts but doesn't actually do anything to make the viewer scared. I could be wrong ofc, I haven't seen too many "horror" anime.

yeah, most shows just claims that its scary as long as there's gore
Mar 14, 2018 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
It should be a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

and uhh... the girls are all tropes from horror and they try to kill each other in a battle royale

anyway horror genre is fine if u ask me.. i like anime with dark plots
Mar 14, 2018 3:17 AM

Dec 2015
Don't know about you but I've seen some pretty scary horror anime. Higurashi for example, or Ayakashi: Classic Japanese Horror. I remember not being able to sleep because of that last one. Don't know about modern titles though but back in the 2000's and 90's horror anime were good.
Mar 14, 2018 3:46 AM
Jan 2018
romagia said:
It should be a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

and uhh... the girls are all tropes from horror and they try to kill each other in a battle royale

hmmmm well I have heard of something similar before
https://myanimelist.net/manga/56515/Mousugu_Shinu_Hito?q=Mousugu%20Shinu%20Hito
Mar 14, 2018 4:04 AM

Feb 2013
MsVitchDa2nd said:
romagia said:

o_0 that looks interesting
i should really brush up my manga list ;-;
Mar 14, 2018 4:25 AM
Jan 2018
romagia said:
MsVitchDa2nd said:

o_0 that looks interesting
i should really brush up my manga list ;-;

Enjoy, since this is the type of stuff that comes close to your description =D
Mar 14, 2018 4:40 AM

Apr 2015
Being like Doki Doki Literature Club. As much as I dislike it at its overall, the horror concept of that or Totono are really scary. In order for a horror to be scary, it shouldn't only target the protagonist, but also the audience instead.
Mar 14, 2018 5:01 AM
Jan 2018
You said:
Being like Doki Doki Literature Club. As much as I dislike it at its overall, the horror concept of that or Totono are really scary. In order for a horror to be scary, it shouldn't only target the protagonist, but also the audience instead.

Doki Doki was a surprise, if a story like that based on the game is animated then we'd be in one hell of a ride
Mar 14, 2018 5:49 AM

Oct 2014
ExactlyStandard said:
MsVitchDa2nd said:

That is sadly the truth.
Another problem is the modern techniques making it to Polished and clean.
And that might make things less scary.
In order to be more scary, it needs to look rougher like the old style but also needs a lot more detail in order to make unappealing looking characters not laughable.

MsVitchDa2nd said:
You said:

Doki Doki was a surprise, if a story like that based on the game is animated then we'd be in one hell of a ride

But the problem is that Doki Doki plays with the fact that it is a game.
Adapting it to an anime will destroy that.
Mar 14, 2018 6:03 AM

Aug 2017
romagia said:

You should be glad there's one. Manga Made by the author of higurashi in which girls have to gain affection of ml while there's a battle royal going on among them as if you don't gain guys love you'll be killed. I forgot it's name
Mar 14, 2018 6:08 AM

Aug 2012
Horror in anime just doesn't work as it's animated. The most renowned "horror" titles such as Higurashi and Shiki, are both mysteries at core. I'd like too look at them as mysteries with horror elements than just pure horror people label them as.
Junji Ito is a great horror artist, but doesn't translate well into animation. His strength lies in the craft of page-to-page writing, expectation etc that can only be done through comics.

Mar 14, 2018 8:28 AM

Oct 2013
Horror needs not to be improved in my opinion
I don't get afraid by horror stuff be they live action or animated anyway

The true value of horror isn't being afraid but seeing characters in desperation, fear, chaos and them mentally breaking down as death is at every corner

And all is shrouded in darkness
Mar 14, 2018 8:29 AM

Feb 2010
Who needs horror anyway, one the cheapest genres tbh
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 14, 2018 8:45 AM

Aug 2016
I think the only way for anime to make a "scary" horror series is to make it a POV. You can only see what the main character is seeing. The amount of diverse kinds of work will definitely be very restrictive though since you can only do so much with a first person perspective
Mar 14, 2018 9:12 AM

Dec 2012
I hate the horror genre anyway so anime's decaf horror is preferable. The only live action horror I like is combined with some other genre such as the first two Alien movies, the Terminator films, Army of Darkness, the Underworld films, and first Tremors movie.
KruszerMar 14, 2018 4:48 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 14, 2018 9:34 AM

Mar 2012
I feel like a lot series and films not just anime but as whole rely to much on jumpscares and gore.

Some of the greatest horror titles i ever saw had both a sense of mystery to them.

The unknown is one of the biggest fears people have, If u build a story that has a sense of dread and doom in it but keep it suspenseful reveal just a bit of the thing/s that is causing the horror but not to much to reveal will leave your imagination to run wild and it will give the creep factor throughout the whole show/film.

That being said it is not the only thing a good horror story needs, but i feel it is like a crucial element that many people ignore, especially these days.
Mar 14, 2018 9:36 AM

Jun 2017
Anime will never be a true horror, even the jumpscares are laughable at times

Mar 14, 2018 9:41 AM

Feb 2015
I don't wanna write out the pages it would take to explain how anime could be scary... SO I'll sum it up...

It would need an obscene amount of money for its animation, OST and casting... To make anime anime scary would require some seriously amazing directing, intense visuals, music and voice actors to match the part... It is indeed possible to make anime scary... But you'd need an American TV show budget, which as we all know... Japan doesn't have
Mar 14, 2018 9:52 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
>>hire an anime studio
>>write a horror story
>>fire the studio and turn story into a book instead

Seriously, though, from my experience the really good, impactful horror tends to come from the bizarre and unknown. Because the animation style of anime is so familiar, it's really hard to make a good horror anime. Usually horrifying moments come from psychological or thriller anime, where the horror comes from the concept of what's going on itself instead of anything visual. Maybe if an anime combined more bizarre styles (i.e. stopmotion) with the familiar, it could be successful, but for the most part, nah.
OfDeathandLoveMar 14, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 14, 2018 10:00 AM

Mar 2017
Depends on what kind of horror you want. A series/flick that tackles eldritch horrors is still technically horror even if it doesn't scare you. And if you just want to be scared, it isn't really about the type of monsters you use but the atmosphere with which they are presented and the terrified wreck they leave you after watching that every noise in the dead of the night leaves you scared of sleeping with the lights off.

Well, the atmosphere part is mostly about tension and thriller than actual horror (i.e. Alien). And as for the "leave you a terrified wreck" part I find that less is more. The very rare stories that do that for me are those exemplary examples of the 1-3 sentences horror stories that gets shared around the internet.

And finally, the setting should be used to its full advantage. Rather than doing some arbitrary plane crash, think of what's a good reason for them to be stuck in a South East Asian country. You don't need to crash land them in the jungle to give the feeling of isolation. What's the difference in crash landing them anywhere in the world? Okay, if you want the SEA monsterology list, you can. But it doesn't necessarily need to be set in a jungle. Use the specifics of the locale. They're already in isolation, being in a foreign place. They may not speak the language for one and both sides (visitors and the natives they interact with) may not be fluent in English. Make them have bad experience with the local police (say corrupt cops looking to extort foreigners by tagging them with exaggerated crimes and asking them to just pay up to avoid trouble) and you remove one lifeline. Make them uncomfortable with the attention from the locals when they're in rural areas. And make the audience uncomfortable as well. Have some of those locals spout nonsense mimicry of Japanese or make exaggerated motions of politeness that may mean well but are just frigging uncomfortable to watch. Maybe have some tropical storms stranding them, cutting power, cellphone signals, and notorious SEA internet and what not. Voila, you got yourself a setup.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 14, 2018 4:32 PM

Jan 2018
If they can have more scary figures/images like Shaft did for Bakemonogatari, or mimic something like Silent Hill. A jump scare here and there would contribute towards enjoying horror genre as well.

Also, given the fact that I find clown makeups is scary enough to make me avoid it (there's a clown movie that I didn't watch). Basically, any horror movie out there would be a good start to be revitalized in anime.

Last but not least, you guys are forgetting the most important part. How can we get scared if we can't even understand Japanese.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

22 by LoveYourEyes »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

68 by DarkFirefly72 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
13 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
27 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.