Forum Settings
Forums

The popularity of male characters makes no sense.

New
Mar 12, 2018 11:51 PM

Jul 2016
I mean, if you're a male anime watcher, male characters are essentially a link between you and the anime, aren't they? They're not even characters.

If they're really more popular than female characters, isn't it because of the influx of fujoshi?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2018 12:02 AM

Jan 2018
What are you even saying?

Popular male characters include Lelouch, L, Edward Elric, Okabe Rinatro, Guts, Roy Mustang, Levi, Ken Kaneki, Spike Spiegel, and Hei among others.

Why are they popular? These are all three dimensional, fully fleshed out characters that feel human. Yes there some self insert male characters that are popular. But, for the most part, only well written characters become popular.
Mar 13, 2018 12:10 AM

Jul 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
What are you even saying?

Popular male characters include Lelouch, L, Edward Elric, Okabe Rinatro, Guts, Roy Mustang, Levi, Ken Kaneki, Spike Spiegel, and Hei among others.

Why are they popular? These are all three dimensional, fully fleshed out characters that feel human. Yes there some self insert male characters that are popular. But, for the most part, only well written characters become popular.

I'm saying all male characters are self insert or otherwise something a male viewer wants to be, therefore nothing special.
Mar 13, 2018 12:11 AM

Oct 2013
Ecchi is this your first shitpost thread or was I unaware you made shitpost threads?
Just wondering
Mar 13, 2018 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
By the same logic, popularity of female characters makes no sense, since many women watch anime too.
Mar 13, 2018 12:15 AM
Sep 2017
The sheer lack of intelligence in this bait astonishes me. Why don't you try harder?
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 13, 2018 12:20 AM

Jul 2016
CondemneDio said:
By the same logic, popularity of female characters makes no sense, since many women watch anime too.

No. Female characters are actually made to be interesting.
Mar 13, 2018 12:21 AM

Apr 2017
Uhhhh female characters and male characters can both be tropes or complex characters. Bad bait
Mar 13, 2018 12:25 AM

Feb 2016
Why do male characters even exist? #DeleteAllMales
Mar 13, 2018 2:27 AM

Oct 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
CondemneDio said:

By that sense, I guess Joe Yabuki, one of the most developed characters and one of the best protagonist, isn't made to be interesting I guess.

It's kind of the same thing with history, aren't most popular historical figures, male?

And also, female characters are popular anyway. You see all these waifu wars everywhere.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 13, 2018 2:28 AM

Jul 2015
not all male characters are beta cuck without personality

you watch so much ecchi/harem ^^'
Mar 13, 2018 2:52 AM

Nov 2012
IpreferEcchi said:
I mean, if you're a male anime watcher, male characters are essentially a link between you and the anime, aren't they? They're not even characters.

If they're really more popular than female characters, isn't it because of the influx of fujoshi?

Maybe this wouldn't be a problem is your taste wasn't trash.
Mar 13, 2018 2:53 AM

Feb 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
CondemneDio said:

you see, female characters are so large in number and so interesting, the number of favourites gets more dispersed
Mar 13, 2018 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
SuperRed said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Maybe this wouldn't be a problem is your taste wasn't trash.

I feel this way about all male characters. As I said, they're either self insert or something you want to be. They're the intermediary between a male viewer and an anime.

So they're a waste of space in Favorites.
Mar 13, 2018 3:03 AM

Oct 2017
We do get that you're highly obsessed over ecchi/hentai.
But why make a (shitty) thread?
Isn't it pretty obvious that why some male characters are more popular than female characters? And which source are you relating from?
And by your questioning it's clear that you know the answer, but you're just so obsessed that you made a thread so that we would agree and say, "Yes Ecchi, you're right. There's defintely something wrong and fishy about this"......
Well whatever... I don't give a crap...
Mar 13, 2018 3:10 AM

Feb 2017
What a nice shitpost , waste of space in Favorites ? look at your fav list again please lol
Mar 13, 2018 3:18 AM
Feb 2014
By your logic, all female anime characters are just self inserts for us female viewers, right? Pfft! What a joke!

Stop watching shitty ecchi harems/isekai light novel adaptations and maybe then you will actually find well written male characters that aren't self inserts for horny otakus.

Male characters can be well written just like female characters can, in fact, in my experience they are usually better written than the females.

Also, males can like male characters because they are cool, intelligent, strong, brave, relatable etc.

Oh, PS. i'm not fujoshi, in case you where wondering.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 13, 2018 3:20 AM

Apr 2012
Isn't it funny that you get attitudes like this over anime, whilst in Western film, people complain about how so many films fail the Bechdel test for having too few female characters?
Mar 13, 2018 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
Because people love strong characters that usually happen to be male. And most of the main characters in popular anime are also male.
Mar 13, 2018 3:27 AM

Feb 2017
What if a girl likes a female character, does that counts as self-insert?
Mar 13, 2018 3:27 AM

Jun 2017
So what would you say are good male characters? Not only in anime but in novels , movies , etc...

'cause I take your point but you seem to be complaining about the very nature of fictional characters.

Mar 13, 2018 3:30 AM

Jan 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
CondemneDio said:

The chances are about eqaul I'd say.
Emilia (Re:Zero) is a boring female character, whilst Okabe Rintarou is an extremely interesting character.
Mar 13, 2018 3:31 AM
Sep 2017
*Male characters are a waste of discs in faves*
What next, I wonder?
Well written shows which do not feature panty shots and boob grabs are a waste of space in faves?
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 13, 2018 3:34 AM

Jun 2015
I want to answer seriously, but at the same time, I feel it would be wasted on a shit thread. Oh the dilemma.
Mar 13, 2018 3:34 AM

Jun 2017
Can't really take you seriously looking at ur list...
Mar 13, 2018 3:35 AM

Mar 2014
I don't even understand what you're trying to say. This is a terrible shit post
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 13, 2018 3:37 AM

Jul 2016
Comic_Sans said:

That having a male character in your favorites as a male is the same as having yourself in your favorites or compensating for something.

Like a cowardly man having a tough guy in their favorites, etc.
Mar 13, 2018 3:38 AM

Aug 2017
girls also watch anime if you did not know
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 3:39 AM

Jul 2016
assyrian said:
girls also watch anime if you did not know

That's exactly the point I made if you read my opening post. I said it must be because of female viewers.
Mar 13, 2018 3:40 AM
Jan 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
Comic_Sans said:

That having a male character in your favorites as a male is the same as having yourself in your favorites or compensating for something.

Like a cowardly man having a tough guy in their favorites, etc.

It seems like you argue from the premise that all male characters are for self inserting. And this is where you fail completely, because your very premise is baseless. And with a baseless premise your whole argument becomes fallacious.
Mar 13, 2018 3:40 AM

Oct 2017
Is it though? From my observation, seems like the majority of forum avatars in MAL are of female characters, and there are so many best girls/waifus conversation that I believe both genders are equally as popular. But if you want some other answer other than this one and the fact many popular males are well-written, it's because there's a correlation with the popularity of the show they're in. The shows with the most exposure will attract more people, so you could say more there would be more fans of characters arising from it. Also helpful to say that a lot of popular shows have males as the main characters.

I mean Shonen is the most popular demographics among anime fans. That by itself should at least answer your question. The reasonings on why that demographic is so popular would require more research from me but the Big 3 probably played a part in that.
OVERPOWERED99Mar 13, 2018 3:43 AM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Mar 13, 2018 3:43 AM

Jun 2008
Not all male characters are self-inserts...

Many of them are pretty great and much better than their female counterparts.

Leave the shitposting to me brah...
Mar 13, 2018 3:46 AM

Oct 2013
I find the male characters in my favorites pretty interesting. And not necessarily because I want to be those characters, since some if not all have had pretty shitty lives.
Mar 13, 2018 3:49 AM

Apr 2017
oh boi, this is the worst shit thread I've ever come across..

I don't wanna eat the bait but..

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Mar 13, 2018 3:50 AM

Jul 2016
Setsuei said:
I find the male characters in my favorites pretty interesting. And not necessarily because I want to be those characters, since some if not all have had pretty shitty lives.

The only male characters I like are ones that I see myself in, so maybe that's why I feel this way.
Mar 13, 2018 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah because all anime are 100% fanservice, ecchi & harem obviously.
Mar 13, 2018 4:41 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
OP, you just don't like male characters since they aren't female characters who are fanservicey or just that there aren't enough dudes who look fanservicey. You can't like a female character for anything other than their breasts and a lot of anime girls are popular only because of their looks.
LeonhartAugustMar 13, 2018 4:55 AM
Mar 13, 2018 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
Sorry dont have any fav male characters.

Mar 13, 2018 4:45 AM
Oct 2017
You are why people think anime is weird.
Mar 13, 2018 4:52 AM

Nov 2016
I'm amazed how political incorrect this thread is.What about gay or bi male users?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 13, 2018 5:08 AM

Jul 2016
FMmatron said:
I'm amazed how political incorrect this thread is.What about gay or bi male users?

What does orientation have to do with this? I'm bisexual, as I put in my signature, but I only like anime guys that I see myself in.

However, I'm hetero romantic. I'd only date women, but I can be sexually attracted to men and women.

DepravedMagi said:
OP, you just don't like male characters since they aren't female characters who are fanservicey or just that there aren't enough dudes who look fanservicey. You can't like a female character for anything other than their breasts and a lot of anime girls are popular only because of their looks.

No. I want the complete package. They have to both have the looks and the personality I want. I won't compromise on only one aspect.
Mar 13, 2018 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
I'll take this thread seriously once you watch an anime with a well-written/interesting male character.

I will even recommend some:
Mar 13, 2018 5:16 AM

Nov 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
Not necessarily. More often than not I'm watching an anime in a 3rd person perspective. I can kinda see why people might think of the male main characters as an extension of themselves, but it's just not something that I do.

FMmatron said:
They can fantacise about real dudes.

In all seriousness, people have been throwing the term "politically incorrect" around way too much. On one hand, there's people bringing in the term when there's no real need to bring up political issues, like chairman vs chairperson, fireman vs firefighter or mankind vs "peoplekind". On the other, there's been a failure in distinguishing politically incorrect from just being plain rude.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 13, 2018 5:20 AM

Jul 2016
MaeOrchid said:
I'll take this thread seriously once you watch an anime with a well-written/interesting male character.

I will even recommend some:

I have no interest in any of those, especially Death Note. Light was an idiot who did idiotic things and got what he deserved in the end for selling his soul like an idiot.

Light is shit.
Mar 13, 2018 5:23 AM

Nov 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
FMmatron said:

What does orientation have to do with this? I'm bisexual, as I put in my signature, but I only like anime guys that I see myself in.

However, I'm hetero romantic. I'd only date women, but I can be sexually attracted to men and women.

There might be people putting males in favs just for the looks.

@BurningSpirit

Shitpost for shitpost thread.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 13, 2018 5:23 AM

Oct 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
FMmatron said:

DepravedMagi said:

No. I want the complete package. They have to both have the looks and the personality I want. I won't compromise on only one aspect.

Then here are some shows that have them:
- Cowboy Bebop
- HunterxHunter
- March comes in like a lion
- Shouwa genroku rakugo shinju
- Guren Lagan
- Gintama
- JoJo
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Monster
- Welcome to the NHK
- Ghibli movies
- Deathnote

And that is just a small portion.
If you want interesting male characters then don't watch Harems, ecchi and all girl shows.
Seriously, if you watch more of the other genres then you might find them.
Mar 13, 2018 5:27 AM

Jun 2017
IpreferEcchi said:

Judging by your username, I can only imagine why you would think that. =~=

Aint even gonna take this thread seriously, you're obviously biased towards female characters, and lack the ability as to see why some of the most popular characters in Anime are male.
Mar 13, 2018 5:30 AM

Nov 2016
Uh, i dont think this should be debated for because its the OP opinion, so it wouldnt change his/her opinion regarding this, leave it alone pls, even tho we're all spitting our opinions, it wouldnt end, so this thread itself is a waste of time too, but you guys can feel free to post your opinion and change the OP's perspective i hope, im not restricting you guys, just thought that i could give an advice, well even tho i know that no one is going to notice this ahaha
Mar 13, 2018 5:35 AM

Jan 2018
If they help to make the show enjoyable, then why not like them.
Mar 13, 2018 5:36 AM

Jul 2016
KreemCheez said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Judging by your username, I can only imagine why you would think that. =~=

Aint even gonna take this thread seriously, you're obviously biased towards female characters, and lack the ability as to see why some of the most popular characters in Anime are male.

I only like male characters that I see myself in. I've said that two or three other times. Therefore, it's a wasting a slot to put them in favorites.

Favorites to me show what your taste in others is, not who you are. Putting males in my favorites would only show who I am.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

39 by billybub »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

94 by Timeline_man »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

41 by Adverrito »»
7 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

43 by DoisacChopper »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.