Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2018 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
Let's create a incredibly well thought out setting with a lot of potential only to throw it all away into some tropes that have been repeated countless times. OH so you want a second season? You better start buying the DVDs and figurines or that won't happen

I just finished Sidonia no Kishi S2 and I'm so fucking mad pardon me

Mixing business with art will always yield forgettable content
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2018 3:23 PM

Mar 2018
Then watch some better anime there have to be some out there.
lol
Mar 12, 2018 3:23 PM

Jun 2017
Perhaps your profile's blog section next time? It would spare us all the headache.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Mar 12, 2018 3:24 PM

May 2016
I don't see a problem in buying DVDs if it means that a certain good anime gets a S2. I mean producing anime itself is a huge cost.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Mar 12, 2018 3:26 PM

Feb 2013
pro tip : research more, watch more originals/movies and read more mango
Mar 12, 2018 3:28 PM

Jul 2015
Tell that to Nippon who give us a bunch of harem/isekai every season
Mar 12, 2018 3:29 PM

Jun 2008
I mean....you're not wrong, but it is what it is.

Mar 12, 2018 3:30 PM

Feb 2016
Why would you want another season of trash if you didn't already like the first one?
Mar 12, 2018 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
And then when something good like Aku no Hana turns out it sells 4 DVDs
Mar 12, 2018 3:35 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
if i had 7 fingers on both hands then I would play the fiddle with the darth maul's nutsack right about now

can we delete the whole forums

like not only AD, but CE, CD, forum games, creativity stuff, etc
ManabanMar 12, 2018 3:38 PM

Mar 12, 2018 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Manaban said:
if i had 7 fingers on both hands then I would play the fiddle with the darth maul's nutsack right about now

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

I'm sorry but not all of us have shitaste
Mar 12, 2018 3:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
ConfusionHaze said:
Manaban said:

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

I'm sorry but not all of us have shitaste

yeah

thank you for showing me the light confusionhaze

i will try to better myself from here on out

Mar 12, 2018 3:43 PM

Feb 2015
{Literally every unstable entertainment based business}
Mar 12, 2018 3:46 PM

Aug 2017
The industry runs on cash not on prayers.
Mar 12, 2018 3:52 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Just here to say hi before thread is locked for being stupid entertaining.
Hi.

Obviously the anime industry needs to sell something, or else it wouldn't be an industry.
OfDeathandLoveMar 12, 2018 3:58 PM

Mar 12, 2018 3:54 PM

Mar 2016
Anime is expensive. Also

Mar 12, 2018 3:56 PM

Dec 2017
this is an industry OP, is not cheap, one episode can take 10-15 million yen.
and sometimes they still can’t cover up the expenses. if you dont want to buy dvd/bluray, just keep it to yourself. you’re lucky enough to found anime on internet. at least be grateful you can find it for free.

popular culture always relies on... you know, popularity. and human tends to afraid of change, so they stick with something that already common.

Mar 12, 2018 4:00 PM

Mar 2016
You might say fuck anime but I'm sure anime says...

Mar 12, 2018 4:01 PM

Jun 2009
Producers ain't making anime for charity, it's a business, and they have to earn money. If some anime isn't earning them money then they'll look for something else that does.
Would u invest thousands of dollars into a project if u know u'll only lose money? Ofcourse it sucks if something u like doesn't get a new season, but that's the way it is.
Mar 12, 2018 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
I have no problem buying DVDs for good shows but that should not come first. The anime is expensive argument doesn't really work, that's like saying we can only get shitty Hollywood brain-dead movies because they are expensive to made. Or that every music album should be a Justin Bieber kind of thing because albums nowadays are very expensive to made. Nice logic ain't it? Well the kind you would expect from an audience that blindly consumes what the capitalist machine feeds them.

Steins;Gate for example had a pretty modest budget compared to a lot of shows out there. Anime is a not a genre, is a media, not all anime should be created the same way nor should you believe only one formula does work.
Mar 12, 2018 4:07 PM

Feb 2016
Otakus eat shit like hot chocolate, most anime are simply a promotional material for the source. Read that instead.

@ Manaban, I agree, nuke this shit. Profile comments and clubs make for a better environment without seeing the same shit thread every day. AND we wouldn't even need gay moderators!
AquamirrorMar 12, 2018 4:19 PM
Mar 12, 2018 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Aquamirror said:
Otakus eat shit like hot chocolate, most anime are simply a promotional material for the source. Read that instead.

@Manaban, I agree, nuke this shit. Profile comments and clubs make for a better environment without seeing the same shit thread every day. AND we wouldn't even need gay moderators!

By the way in which you treat the fact that you see the same kind of thread everyday in MAL forums as a serious issue that affects you on a personal level I would suggest you to step out of the computer for a while and get a life

No offence
Mar 12, 2018 4:26 PM

Feb 2016
ConfusionHaze said:
Aquamirror said:

@Manaban, I agree, nuke this shit. Profile comments and clubs make for a better environment without seeing the same shit thread every day. AND we wouldn't even need gay moderators!

By the way in which you treat the fact that you see the same kind of thread everyday in MAL forums as a serious issue that affects you on a personal level I would suggest you to step out of the computer for a while and get a life

No offence

Hey dude, I never said that. Anyway, you are right, I should go to bed. Goodnight world! eks dee
Mar 12, 2018 4:43 PM

Apr 2012
Even companies that produce critically acclaimed anime, still expect to turn a profit. Artistic merit and wanting to make money, eventually have to strike a balance.
Mar 12, 2018 4:46 PM

Dec 2012
If you're going to point fingers, point them in the right direction, like at the asshats responsible for creating them. Then once you identified them, you can avoid them.
KruszerMar 12, 2018 4:52 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 12, 2018 5:46 PM

Jul 2017
Anime is not just art, it's a big entertainment industry and every one of them takes a lot of money, talents, effort and time to finish.

Anime won't exist if no one pay.
Mar 13, 2018 12:33 AM

Jan 2013
nbyung09 said:
Anime is not just art, it's a big entertainment industry and every one of them takes a lot of money, talents, effort and time to finish.

Anime won't exist if no one pay.

An industry for virgins disconnected from reality who only care about stupid shit like "bestguhrl".
Mar 13, 2018 12:47 AM

Apr 2013
Quit Anime, or maybe just watch Anime you know that wasn't made for trash money grubbing reasons, that's what I'm doing rn.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Mar 13, 2018 12:53 AM

Mar 2015
Well they have to fund their anime somehow don't they. And the easiest way to get money is to use waifubait to sell daki's & figures.
Mar 13, 2018 12:54 AM

Oct 2017
ConfusionHaze said:
OH so you want a second season? You better start buying the DVDs and figurines or that won't happen

Well what do you expect? Producing anime is a business, it ain't some charity or for entertainment purpose. If they don't meet the expected profit, why would they make another season? It's a loss for them, and when they incur a loss you can't expect them to continue on.. They would look for new things to gain profits.. Even the guys who produce anime have a life......
That's why it is said that if you want another season/ want them to continue their work, support them by buying the DVDs etc.
Mar 13, 2018 12:57 AM

Feb 2014
And you can blame the production committee business model for it. Fuck it. Getting entirely funded by a production committee makes it even harder for studios to take risks, because now you have peanuts to work with, so you can't make anything that's longer than 13 episodes, so you can't take your time to flesh out the story, or make something that's too out there, because it might not sell too well. Unlike when you have the backing of a TV station.
Mar 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Jul 2013
But isn't Sidonia getting a season three? Wait am I taking the bait? Yeah, probably.
Mar 13, 2018 1:43 AM

Jul 2017
ConfusionHaze said:

An industry for virgins disconnected from reality who only care about stupid shit like "bestguhrl".

I don't understand what are you trying to say. But I see nothing wrong with people upholding chastity or expressing love towards fictional characters as long as they are polite and respectful to others.
Also allowing people to disconnect from reality in leisure is also one of the major appeal of anime.
Mar 13, 2018 2:13 AM

Oct 2017
The ones that created anime are still human. They need money, they need time, they can be greedy, creative, or lazy. Anime is still a business and will always be a business. The employees have given their time to make anime, so they have to get paid whether you like it or not. I know business can ruin an anime but there's really nothing much you can do about it. As fans, we can support the ones we like if you want more content from them.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Mar 13, 2018 2:26 AM

Jan 2018
As a casual, waifu is a lovely aspect in watching anime. Do you agree that friends in real life would often start a topic about girls?

It's like a cheesy formula. You can get sick of it, but wil come back another day anyway.
Mar 13, 2018 2:28 AM

Oct 2014
ConfusionHaze said:
I have no problem buying DVDs for good shows but that should not come first. The anime is expensive argument doesn't really work, that's like saying we can only get shitty Hollywood brain-dead movies because they are expensive to made. Or that every music album should be a Justin Bieber kind of thing because albums nowadays are very expensive to made. Nice logic ain't it? Well the kind you would expect from an audience that blindly consumes what the capitalist machine feeds them.

Steins;Gate for example had a pretty modest budget compared to a lot of shows out there. Anime is a not a genre, is a media, not all anime should be created the same way nor should you believe only one formula does work.

Actually Anime are not as expensive as a game or a movie.
Movies mostly just rely on how well it does in the cinema and have the dvd and etc as a second thought.
So why can't anime just rely on streaming or tv broadcast?
Anime is just poorly funded and thus they make no risk shit.

But Streaming sites continue to grow and give more profit.
It is about time that more ppl will grow some ballz and take risks.
Sadly there is only one Yuasa, one Shinbo, one Miyazaki.......
Mar 13, 2018 2:35 AM
May 2015
ConfusionHaze said:
Let's create a incredibly well thought out setting with a lot of potential only to throw it all away into some tropes that have been repeated countless times. OH so you want a second season? You better start buying the DVDs and figurines or that won't happen

but you can also read the manga (which also has better art and story)
also if i remember right sidonia S3 is happening someday
Mar 13, 2018 3:47 AM

Jan 2013
SakazukiDkiller said:
ConfusionHaze said:

but you can also read the manga (which also has better art and story)
also if i remember right sidonia S3 is happening someday

I love Sidonia animation to be honest, the outer space atmosphere the show brings with the sound effects and overall art is unmatched, so manga will be a downgrade in my eyes. And yes, a third season is happening, and I will be watching it. But I just felt so betrayed when all the hard sci-fi realism and potential plot intricacies were lef completely disregarded in favor of a ""love story"". The feeling that anyone could die at anytime that was present in the first season completely disapeared.

I don't have any problem with romance but I find it to be terribly cliche and badly executed in Sidonia, it's just for comic relief and it's and not on par with the initial mature setting of the show. Why not a mature real love story that would bring even more tension to the battles?

I can only shake my head to the amount of wasted potential.

nbyung09 said:
I don't understand what are you trying to say. But I see nothing wrong with people upholding chastity or expressing love towards fictional characters as long as they are polite and respectful to others.
Also allowing people to disconnect from reality in leisure is also one of the major appeal of anime.

I truly pity you if you're unable to see whats wrong with that. Also I never said that art as a disconnection from reality is wrong(which is a pretty childish way of understanding art anyway), I said that, as an individual, being disconected from reality, as a whole, not for a moment, is pitiful.

Funny thing is I still have high hopes for Darling in The Franxx. Which I guess are going to be torn apart...
ConfusionHazeMar 13, 2018 4:01 AM
Mar 13, 2018 4:52 AM

Jul 2017
ConfusionHaze said:

I truly pity you if you're unable to see whats wrong with that. Also I never said that art as a disconnection from reality is wrong(which is a pretty childish way of understanding art anyway), I said that, as an individual, being disconected from reality, as a whole, not for a moment, is pitiful.

Funny thing is I still have high hopes for Darling in The Franxx. Which I guess are going to be torn apart...

"To disconnect from reality" is not very related to understanding art, but more related to the function of anime as an entertaining product. To watch an anime and forget about things happening around briefly can be a good remedy or method of relaxation, especially if you are living a stressful life.

But of course some people want more leisure time than others. if they watch anime all day and do nothing, they need to pay their price. But it's only pitiful if they cannot bear the consequence. If they have too much time and money, then it's their luxury.

Anyway hope Darling in the Franxx would be a good anime you like.
Mar 13, 2018 4:58 AM

Nov 2014
ConfusionHaze said:
While I don't think that the best of art necessarily will draw mainstream appeal or earn lots of money, but if you are expecting art to be subsidised because they can't even break even, then seriously re-evaluate if that art has any standard.

ZionPulse said:
Perhaps your profile's blog section next time? It would spare us all the headache.
Actually I think http://screamintothevoid.com would be more appropriate.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 13, 2018 5:28 AM

Mar 2015
OP literaly have 0 common sense and really high elitism superiority complex... i don't even bother to asnwer seriously...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 13, 2018 5:35 AM

Jan 2013
Kuma said:
OP literaly have 0 common sense and really high elitism superiority complex... i don't even bother to asnwer seriously...

But you did.

YayaChibi said:
Yeh fuck anime lmao lol

Jk lmao dude what the actual fuck? You okay, you need a hug? Stable income? A girlfriend? Lmao lol

Yeah you're right. Fuck anime is a bit too broad. Fuck Sidonia no Kishi. Oh and I'll take the hug but no girlfriends please.
ConfusionHazeMar 13, 2018 6:07 AM
Mar 13, 2018 5:39 AM

Mar 2015
ConfusionHaze said:
Kuma said:

But you did.

so you think that post is a serious? really?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 13, 2018 6:34 AM

Jul 2015
ConfusionHaze said:

the use of tropes and cliches is not a bad thing.

If you don't want spend a lot on bd/dvd, buy/stream them digitally.

In some cases there is no hope for a next season, because the mangaka/arthur of the source material went on hiatus, or other reasons.
Mar 13, 2018 6:34 AM

Jan 2013
BurningSpirit said:
ConfusionHaze said:
While I don't think that the best of art necessarily will draw mainstream appeal or earn lots of money, but if you are expecting art to be subsidised because they can't even break even, then seriously re-evaluate if that art has any standard.

That's taking what I've said to the opposite extreme.
Mar 13, 2018 7:57 AM

Nov 2014
ConfusionHaze said:
That's taking what I've said to the opposite extreme.
I mean, to be fair you said
ConfusionHaze said:
which really doesn't give you much leeway.

My point is that you'll have to mix business and art to some extent for high budget entertainment projects like anime or video games, because if it isn't going to fund itself then who will? The idea than mixing business with art ALWAYS makes forgettable content is asinine.

Even if you are talking about it being true to a small extent, or perhaps you just want to criticise the the commonly accepted attitudes among anime watchers,
as you put it
ConfusionHaze said:
OH so you want a second season? You better start buying the DVDs and figurines or that won't happen
Well..... is it not true? Is this not applicable to entertainment mediums outside of anime? If a series performed terribly (yes even shows made big mainstream studios like Hollywood), don't expect sequels or many shows of similar genres to be green lit. Yes, these topics are being brought up among people who watch anime, but considering anime is a pretty niche medium, it's within reason for the business side of anime to be mentioned more often.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 13, 2018 9:17 AM

Feb 2010
The irony of complaining that anime don't get second seasons as a response to finishing the second season of an anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 13, 2018 9:25 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ConfusionHaze said:
Let's create a incredibly well thought out setting with a lot of potential only to throw it all away into some tropes that have been repeated countless times.

there is NOTHING that is not full of tropes seen countless times, anime is no more guilty of that than anything else

ConfusionHaze said:

oh god, how dare they ask for money so they can afford to make a 2nd season

how dare they target people who show their dedication to a series

ConfusionHaze said:

subjective as fuck
Mar 13, 2018 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
It's not the tropes mate, it's the creator's negligence for perpetuating one dimensional characters. Foundations are ultimately composed of rehashed ideas (standing on the shoulders of giants), the work itself needs to move beyond it. You gotta remember we're apart of a fandom that commonly praises tropes amongst first exposure, and in that regard people are getting what they asked for. If an author or creative fails to progress a character through what they were introduced as, that's on them, not the nature of storytelling.

Pullman said:
The irony of complaining that anime don't get second seasons as a response to finishing the second season of an anime.
HA, nice.
Mar 13, 2018 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
Gotta love a civilized discussion among fellow otakus.

I guess I'm just mad at that anime because it teased me with wonderful things only to adapt a completely different style and stab me in the back. It's like if ended in bed with a beautiful girl only to discover that she had a humongous dick hiding under his panties. But one that was so charming and girly looking that you would have never seen it coming.

If you enjoy your tropes that's fine with me, I suppose even I enjoy other kind of tropes, I am a Gainax nut and I love to see them repeat the same shit again and again, as someone said above you can't really scape them. My problem is what I described above. They tricked me. And I can feel they are about to trick me again with Darling in the Franxx. But with that one they're gonna hit even closer to home.
ConfusionHazeMar 13, 2018 1:41 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 minutes ago

2 by Nemo_Niemand »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
21 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
27 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
30 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.