Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 28, 2018 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, more storytelling for Violet this episode.

The relationship between her and Gilbert really feel special in this show compared to other characters. Thought this episode built up neatly and showed a more fierce side of the story. It also featured Violet during her days of war so that's something unique.

They did a decent at job protraying the harsh conditions of fighting.
Feb 28, 2018 7:30 AM

Mar 2013
Really nice adaptation of Violet's backstory, liked it much better then the novel since it ended up being too long for my taste. They covered most of her war backstory in this episode, and I thought it would end up being rushed due to the pacing, but they changed enough of it that it conveyed what it only needed to without overstaying its welcome. Only nitpick is that they skipped Violet murdering the thieves with Gilbert's first meeting, and the military exam slaughter.

Really glad they removed "anime/LN" bullshit elements like Violets over-sized anime battle axe Witchcraft, and just scaled back its fantasy elements. I swear Violet is already skirting my suspension of disbelief by being a 10 year old killing prodigy/child soldier, so if they added her battle axe I would've screamed my head off lol.

Also I know the novel indicates the relationship between Gilbert and Violet to be interpreted by the viewer as either romantic or familial love( I still think even with the novel its familial). However with the anime it really seems to be familial blatantly? Maybe it's just me, the way the animators and the screenwriters shows Gilbert's action towards Violet seem to lean to being fatherly then romantic.

Novel readers I'm starting to question
What do you guys think?
SalmonSandwichFeb 28, 2018 7:46 AM
Feb 28, 2018 7:31 AM
Jul 2016
Great episode about the past of Violet and Gilbert.

The battle scene is very well done.
Feb 28, 2018 7:37 AM

May 2015
hmm they skipped violets military entrance exam which i think is quite important i thought they would put detail on animating her time in the military well guess i was wrong it was too fast where is witchcraft they showed it in the pv :( slightly disappointed
Feb 28, 2018 7:44 AM

Mar 2013
kurikinton said:
hmm they skipped violets military entrance exam which i think is quite important i thought they would put detail on animating her time in the military well guess i was wrong it was too fast where is witchcraft they showed it in the pv :( slightly disappointed

The 1st PV with witchcraft and the other side stories was a PV for the novel only so I understand why people were confused when certain elements didn't appear in the adaptation. Starting with the 3rd PV is where it was for the anime only. Kyoto Animation tends to do lavish PV for its novel like with Kyoukai no Kanata's novel PV which had different character designs and visuals compared to its anime PV's.

I'm really glad they removed witchcraft since it really was unrealistic with the setting?
Everything else I agree, especially her entrance exam "test" but they did slightly show it in ep 1 so ehhh...
SalmonSandwichFeb 28, 2018 7:47 AM
Feb 28, 2018 7:58 AM
Feb 2018
Graveyard for Gilbert?
TaeakowFeb 28, 2018 8:01 AM
Feb 28, 2018 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Wow owie. This episode is just ouch. Also I will probably? Edit this later.

Violet is simply too beastly. Stealthy yet animal-like... even when she is surrounded and the enemy had the high ground she will turn out victorious...

She seems to be the first to charge into battle as well...

It seems like she learned her first words from Gilbert too... I find it funny that even though Gilbert was the one who taught her how to read and write... her words end up dealing critical damage to his own heart.

That last shot in the eye though... wow.

Well... the general trend I see with "eye-shots" usually leads to the character surviving... taking this example from Aldnoah Zero, Gundam, and other such series.

Mod Edit: Please do not post more than 1 screenshot per post.
LunaMar 11, 2018 12:39 AM

Feb 28, 2018 8:15 AM

Jul 2017
SalmonSandwich said:
Really nice adaptation of Violet's backstory, liked it much better then the novel since it ended up being too long for my taste. They covered most of her war backstory in this episode, and I thought it would end up being rushed due to the pacing, but they changed enough of it that it conveyed what it only needed to without overstaying its welcome. Only nitpick is that they skipped Violet murdering the thieves with Gilbert's first meeting, and the military exam slaughter.

Really glad they removed "anime/LN" bullshit elements like Violets over-sized anime battle axe Witchcraft, and just scaled back its fantasy elements. I swear Violet is already skirting my suspension of disbelief by being a 10 year old killing prodigy/child soldier, so if they added her battle axe I would've screamed my head off lol.

Also I know the novel indicates the relationship between Gilbert and Violet to be interpreted by the viewer as either romantic or familial love( I still think even with the novel its familial). However with the anime it really seems to be familial blatantly? Maybe it's just me, the way the animators and the screenwriters shows Gilbert's action towards Violet seem to lean to being fatherly then romantic.

What do you guys think?

I see Violet and Gilbert's relationship more in a romantic light both in the novel and the anime. And I think that episode with the princess where they make the point that an age gap won't get in the way of true love reinforces my opinion. But it's shown in a way that you can interpret it either way. At least until the third novel comes out and gives us more information you can see it either way. As for the spoilers
Feb 28, 2018 8:20 AM
Feb 2018
They even show Gilbert is shot from the eye i feel sorry for violet
Feb 28, 2018 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Taeakow said:
They even show Gilbert is shot from the eye i feel sorry for violet

The fact that they showed this makes me think

Massive spoilers for the LN in the image I'm about to post.

Feb 28, 2018 8:50 AM

Jun 2013
Different from the usual yet great episode.

So we saw most(?) of Violet backstory today, it had a lot of blood and drama as I thought, the soundtrack played nicely with it.

Major Gilbert has the exactly the personality I thought he would have and Violet is really a beast on the battlefield.

4/5 The ending surprised me a little.
Feb 28, 2018 9:05 AM

Apr 2016
W-wait... They went as far as setting my gravestone? This is going further than I thought...

Great episode. Well one good thing was that we got to see more of Gilbert. Now, the question is whether this is the only episode in which they will show the main flashbacks. Ending this episode with Gilbert getting shot on the right eye wasn't really the best point to end this imo.

Also, for anyone who wants to know any difference with the LN, read this:

One really good part of this episode was that we were shown a lot of Gilbert's guilt through his face expressions. I was afraid they may not show it as often as in the LN but they did pretty well on that.

SalmonSandwich said:

What do you guys think?

Agreed. They made it a lot more of a parental love than a romantic love. There was less emphasis for me in the LN, but in the anime there wasn't any romantic affection from Gilbert. but I will still interpret as a romantic love more than a parental love, just my opinion.

As for your question:
Major_GilbertFeb 28, 2018 9:41 PM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 28, 2018 10:20 AM

Nov 2007

OMG! THIS EPISODE! THIS EPISODE! IT WAS SO INCREDIBLE!

The best episode of the entire calendar year of 2018 so far! The battlefield atmosphere, the sound effects, the use of lights and shadows, the use of smogs and smokes, and the fight scenes, everything would match any high budget movie!

I am not sure what to say about this episode anymore right now aside from the fact that it had incredible buildup and a very captivating flashback of Violet and Gilbert! I am left dumbfounded! I simply do not recall having seen any anime episode like this in my life as an anime fan! I really mean it!

Kyoto Animation just reached yet another level!

10/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 28, 2018 10:51 AM

Apr 2015
Is it just me or is it annoying that already 3 people gave it a 1/5?

I am not a big fan of this anime do not get me wrong, I gave it around an 8/10 and I haven't seen this episode yet.
Feb 28, 2018 12:12 PM

Nov 2007

A breakdown of how fantastic the episode actually was:

Dietfried's words that there was no way she would be showing the face of someone grieving for Gilbert when she only ever was an emotionless tool for Gilbert showed his hate for Violet is real. But he just didn't know that Violet lacked love and that is why she didn't show any emotion. Just like she already took a liking of Gilbert and looked for him all over the place soon after she was taken custody by him. She was already showing emotions so early little by little.

Gilbert was against taking Violet in the war but he was forced to take her with him. That was pathetic of how she was considered disposable in the battlefield just because she didn't have anyone. Although Gilbert took her with him, he made sure she wouldn't be in the fighting by telling her to remain in her post until his return, yet she just ignored his orders and showed up during the ambush perhaps because she couldn't really understand what he said and just wanted to be of use for Gilbert.

And then the scene showing Gilbert's gravestone and it really had a lot of impact, more on Violet than obviously us, the viewers. But the deathly environment only resonated how grim it was for Violet, the world that was to her was never going to be there anymore. A quick flashback to the time she was named Violet was shown. And a small glimpse that she really didn't understand human language, let alone having any emotions, was shown through Gilbert's reaction to thinking she understood his words. Her first words were 'Violet' and 'Major' but she really didn't understand what they meant. Which then is connected to the previous flashback as she left her post and got herself involved with the ambush. And then there were short scenes showing Gilbert actually taught her to read and eventually write as well. The first episode where we saw her writing a report addressed to Gilbert on her treatment bed was the result of Gilbert's way of making her learn to write which she followed everyday, taking it as an order.

And then the brooch flashback happened, giving us more depth of why it has such significance in the story. When Gilbert wanted to give her something she would wish to have to show his gratefulness to her, she took it as an order. As he wanted to tell her he was grateful because she was always fighting, he noticed those marks and bruises left on her from the fighting and realized how wrong it was and stopped saying any further. A sense of guilt piled up deep inside him.

As they walked down the marketplace, Violet asked what could she wish for. As Gilbert said she could pick a dress or accessories as any woman of her age would, she just simply agreed to it. When she wanted to have the brooch because it had the same colour of Gilbert's eyes, she still didn't know the word "Lovely" so she had to make do with trying to confirm whether it was similar to the word "Pretty". It just showed how much she was still lacking in understanding human words that time. When Gilbert asked her if she was okay with not picking something of her own eye colour, she said the one she picked was the most "lovely" one. And then she told him she didn't know the word for it so she never said it but Gilbert's eyes were "lovely" ever since she met him. That part was so beautiful. As he walked towards her and put the brooch on her shirt, I just felt so sad. I noticed how she said "thank you" twice as Gilbert just couldn't bring himself to respond to what he had taught her to say in moments like this.

Then we moved to the part with Claudia. It looks like Gilbert and Claudia were probably from the same batch but Claudia went ahead and become a Lieutenant Colonel. Claudia's suggestion that to move her elsewhere made Violet a bit hostile, showing that she just wouldn't want to be separated from Gilbert. As Claudia presumed this would be their final fight, he also revealed that he would be retiring from the army and open a company once the war would be over. As Gilbert turned down Claudia's offer to work for him, Claudia nonchalantly told him he would hire Violet which brings us to the off the screen words Gilbert had with Claudia in the first episode which is what we have now, Violet as a Doll working for CH Postal. Violet started have a hunch that she would probably no longer be needed by Gilbert and felt insecure that she would be discarded to Claudia. But their talk wouldn't proceed beyond that. A death flag was raised the moment Gilbert said they would talk about it later.

And then the intense fight began. One of the most fascinating segment of any anime I have seen. And then the beginning of the fall of Gilbert right before Violet's eyes.

I am still at awe, the more I see it! I just saw it for the second time and my impression of the episode just got better! I will watch it again when the subs are out!
Coronavirus.
Feb 28, 2018 2:53 PM

Jul 2015
Seeing Violet between all those normal soldiers felt so wrong.

Alright episode, Gilbert is the character I like the most for sure.

Seeing how far we're into the series I doubt I will start liking Evergarden at any point, but it has become a bit more enjoyable after getting past the anime original stuff.
Feb 28, 2018 4:18 PM

Mar 2014
Finally a very good episode without forced meaningless drama. So far i really liked only this episode and a first one. Rest was rather medicore. Visuals were consistently beautiful, I can't say the same about episodes 2-7 in which only some of the scenes were in quality known from previews.
Feb 28, 2018 4:19 PM

May 2014
Goddamn it, this was supposed to be MY episode!

BLOOD! SACRIFICE! STRATEGY! TACTICS! VIOLENCE! EXPLOSIONS!

WAR!

But instead we get a cheesy, if brisk overview of Violet's backstory. I could rag on how it doesn't go along as how it is in the novel ch.6, but I understand they're trying to sell Violet's growing character from what is essentially a very trigger-happy infant into an actual person with values, without the ramifications and trauma that could affect an adolescent mind. It'd open up a real good arc of her maturing incredibly quickly, but also seem just as much out of place.

But at this point I've come to peace with this corny show. It wants to be emotional for all its moments. The comedic timing of small Violet is on point like always, yet devalue Gilbert's struggles to educate her. I wish they showed a more Gunslinger Girl type of relationship between Gilbert and Violet, because that's what it essentially is. Another aspect is the comically evil superiors. And just how the war is a whole lot of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when it's just framed out of context.

So yeah. I'm not happy with the supposed edgy highlight of the show for me. But I've some to terms about it being a momentary emotional spectacle that has nothing to say overall. And that's completely fine to enjoy on a moment to moment basis, just don't expect to remember anything after you're done.
Feb 28, 2018 5:28 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty good episode. Got to see more backstory for Violet and Gilbert. She was so OP in the army. He didn't want her to do all that, but he had to. The action scenes were dope.
Feb 28, 2018 6:03 PM

Nov 2016
Phew,Violet wrecked enemy soldiers hard.

Following up the last episode,this was pretty great again.

So glad we got more of the relationship between Violet and Gilbert. It had many touching moments and I totally digged the atmosphere,not just during their interaction when they were free,but also on the battle field.

Fight scenes were also way better than in some action shows.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 28, 2018 6:04 PM

Nov 2007
BlackstarFallen said:
Pretty good episode. Got to see more backstory for Violet and Gilbert. She was so OP in the army. He didn't want her to do all that, but he had to. The action scenes were dope.

Yep. However, my first impression of the final gunfight was a bit over the top as they seemingly took out 14 enemy soldiers firing from a higher ground in a gunfight which is only possible in Matrix. But if we notice carefully, although it may seem like there was only a gunfight inside the cathedral, they actually used grenades to take out a good number of those enemy soldiers which happened off the screen. Notice that there were significant damages after the gunfight that left cracks on the walls and even huge chunks missing where the enemy soldiers were positioned that could only result from impacts caused by grenades.

Coronavirus.
Feb 28, 2018 6:31 PM

Nov 2011
Wow this felt like 5 minutes long, I was actually surprised when the ending started.
Great episode, I'm really digging Violet's backstory. The war scenes were really well done, I was kinda nervous during the invasion.
Hope next week follow from where it stopped instead of going back to the present (or we can mix it like in this one).
Baby, daijobanai...
Feb 28, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2017
The sound effects in this show are fantastic.
Feb 28, 2018 7:05 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

The backstory was really good and watching Violet massacre people on the battlefield left me speechless. As cool as it was to see, couldn't help but feel bad for her having to face the terror of the battlefield.

Loved the scene with the brooch. :D

It's a shame Gilbert passed away in the war, I really liked the guy. :(
Feb 28, 2018 7:50 PM

Mar 2015
Violet set out to find her answers and is letting nothing stop her. Did you notice how she walked through a river to get to the Major's old mansion? Seeing Gilbert's headstone was a massive shock to her, I thought.

Glad we finally got to see more of the time she had with Gilbert. I thought that, for as little actual screen time as was used, a great deal of information was presented.

I really liked how they presented the sound effects for the cannon and gunfire.

I think next episode Violet will hold fast to the fact that they never found Gilbert's body. He may be dead, or may not be. If he is not I wonder if she will find him crippled and hiding himself from the world, unable to rejoin civilian life after four years of war. Or maybe he will have amnesia and not remember who he is. Or be both crippled and amnesiac when Violet finds him in some crappy run down charity shelter. Now that would be a good ending without copping out.
The sword that takes life gives life
Feb 28, 2018 7:59 PM
Jan 2018
Great episode was crying the whole time watching it. Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 28, 2018 9:23 PM

Dec 2014
the past of violet is so impactful... being a war civilian is far worse than this.... Deeply touched by violet again
Feb 28, 2018 10:01 PM

Aug 2015
Finally some more of Violet's backstory, however I have been liking the other stuff from before but I knew there would come a point where we would go more in depth of what actually happened in her past

Can't wait for more!
Feb 28, 2018 10:35 PM

Apr 2015
dammit
episode ended in such a cliffhanger
Feb 28, 2018 10:38 PM
May 2017
Did Violet cry in this episode?
Feb 28, 2018 10:42 PM

May 2015
Violet must have went through some harsh training to be that good. And she charged into the cathedral while under fire from the enemy on the high ground and picked off one after another...with a rifle...while moving...

Aren't there more "weapons" like her? Just send a group of them in like a special forces squadron and wreck house! Then again, since these weapons have seemingly no emotions and no will of their own, you'd need someone to command them...

So Violet being treated like a tool until Gilbert began treating her like a human being. I liked the progression in this episode. Great sound effects with the military warfare too.

Now I hate to nitpick, but I'm going to ask a bit about that eye-shot...

Gilbert was standing at the edge of the wall/balcony or whatever:

He gets shot at his right eye. The direction that the shot came from was directly in front of him. This is proven when Gilbert's head jerks back:

These two enemy soldiers were nearby, although where they were standing in relation to Gilbert's position is unknown. It looks like they were either behind Violet and Gilbert or somewhere to the right of Gilbert. But the shot came from the front...:

And the barrel of this soldier's gun is smoking, which means he just fired:

Uhh....I guess we'll have to find out next episode...
Feb 28, 2018 11:04 PM

Dec 2015
well we got scene from violet's past , i think the next episode will still about this

Tarotist said:
Violet must have went through some harsh training to be that good. And she charged into the cathedral while under fire from the enemy on the high ground and picked off one after another...with a rifle...while moving...

Aren't there more "weapons" like her? Just send a group of them in like a special forces squadron and wreck house! Then again, since these weapons have seemingly no emotions and no will of their own, you'd need someone to command them...

So Violet being treated like a tool until Gilbert began treating her like a human being. I liked the progression in this episode. Great sound effects with the military warfare too.

Now I hate to nitpick, but I'm going to ask a bit about that eye-shot...

Gilbert was standing at the edge of the wall/balcony or whatever:

He gets shot at his right eye. The direction that the shot came from was directly in front of him. This is proven when Gilbert's head jerks back:

These two enemy soldiers were nearby, although where they were standing in relation to Gilbert's position is unknown. It looks like they were either behind Violet and Gilbert or somewhere to the right of Gilbert. But the shot came from the front...:

And the barrel of this soldier's gun is smoking, which means he just fired:

Uhh....I guess we'll have to find out next episode...

i just realize when you pointed about the shot lol ,
Mar 1, 2018 12:06 AM

Dec 2016
So now we got the see the backstory between Gilbert & Violet, very emotional indeed.

It's no wonder she off on a journey like that, he is the only one who treated her as a human so it's only natural she would be emotionally unstable.

Even when she went on a killing spree it didn't change his attitude towards her.

Pretty cool how he took her in, taught her how to read & write and of course gave her a name, basically how to be a human being.

We also get to see her first interactions with Hodgins and the future between those 2.

Really good episode.
Mar 1, 2018 12:15 AM
Jan 2015
Holy hell, that was a good episode, nice we finally got a look at Violet and Gilbert's backstory. I'm expecting a lot of feels next episode.
My Queens

Mar 1, 2018 12:26 AM

Aug 2012
this really brought the series together for me, i was a bit iffy, but this was great. also remind me to never click SPOILER tags again, i was weak
Mar 1, 2018 12:58 AM

Nov 2016
So I'll die in waiting another week for next episode.

Now it makes sense how clueless she was. She didn't had a common sense. I still like her nonetheless. Because once she learnt from Gilbert, once someone have treated her as a human, she went for a change. Gilbert is such a kind soul!

Music is so mesmerizing as always. I'll have to wait even for the OSTs release...
Mar 1, 2018 1:26 AM
Oct 2015
That boorch scene from the pv looked absolutely amazing and now we know the context of it I can fully understand that glorious scene.
Violet's past is a lot more flavourful than I anticipated too, also I just realised her character has grown lot since she couldn't even speak at the start.
Heckle was here...
Mar 1, 2018 1:27 AM

Dec 2010
Missing eye - Check
Missing body - Check
Reported KIA - Check
Gravestone - Check
Emotional breakdown of MC - Check

I wager a 99% chance that Gilbert is alive. Since it's only 1 cour, I think we are going to see some evidence of Gilbert alive and Violet going to look for him in an open ended ending for the last episode.

Mar 1, 2018 1:41 AM

Apr 2015
Mystic_Twilight said:
Missing eye - Check
Missing body - Check
Reported KIA - Check
Gravestone - Check

I wager a 99% chance that Gilbert is alive. Since it's only 1 cour, I think we are going to see some evidence of Gilbert alive and Violet going to look for him in an open ended ending for the last episode.

Mar 1, 2018 1:55 AM

Dec 2010
Mohammadalmannai said:
Mystic_Twilight said:
Missing eye - Check
Missing body - Check
Reported KIA - Check
Gravestone - Check

I know, but as the studio so far has shown the adaption isn't linear we will have to assume that the studio could go for an original ending. The LN so far is more like a guide than a recipe.
Mar 1, 2018 2:24 AM

Sep 2016
this eps was amazing man, i wasnt expecting more of the backstory to be revealed until like later on near the finale but this was awesome to see glad they cut the 2nd half out because ik that will be a tear jerker they can save for near the end after we grow even more with learning about violet. Also im tellin you if kyoto did more scenes with that stellar action like how this eps was done throughout the series eps it wouldve been sooo good too see same with that one anime youkoso jitsuryoku but all in all def 5/5
Facta Non Verba
Mar 1, 2018 2:36 AM

Jan 2018
The moment they said back in the last episode that the body was not found. It hit right through me. I'm still, still hoping that Major Gilbert would be still alive and well.

- At long last, they have finally shown the action scenes. Violet is a very serious weapon. Seriously, don't mess with her.

- Another* At long last, Major Gilbert's bastard brother is back. Finally, KyoAni gave us answers for what they with that fake cliffhanger. (Referring to Episode 5)

- Major Gilbert... Good thing that the first episode was shown again because it left us on hold due to lack of proper backstory. Now we know why.

- Lastly, that gravestone. Boy oh boy, Violet cannot believe it even in her own eyes. That grim feeling.

- Cannot wait for the continuation of the story. Good thing that it's not rushed unlike the last two episodes. (Damn you, KyoAni. You should've put more story for Oscar's arc.)

Anyways, what a great, GREAT episode. 5/5

Novel related spoiler
Mar 1, 2018 2:47 AM

Jan 2017
SalmonSandwich said:

What do you guys think?

That was a nice compressed adaptation of Violet's backstory. Actually I was looking for her battle axe, lol. That'll be a new thread I guess if they did put it.

As you said, it's leaning more on Familial love. But in the LN, I do think it's Familial love until he confessed.

As for your question
Mar 1, 2018 2:51 AM

Aug 2017
They must have show it very early, now it's too late. It feels so disconnect after many episodes (i blame the writing of such episodes) Well, the actions scenes was cool but still it forced that Violet can do that. Cattleya criticize Hodgins for telling Violet about Gilbert. Everything of that makes no sense in the first place. Please, Gilbert stay dead or this episode and the anime overall will be a waste of my time. Also why the story wasn't about her and Gilbert going through the war? A decent episode after time wasted in 7 episodes. 3/5
NurguburuMar 1, 2018 3:18 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 1, 2018 3:04 AM

Aug 2011
Major_Gilbert said:

Ending this episode with Gilbert getting shot on the right eye wasn't really the best point to end this imo.

Also, for anyone who wants to know any difference with the LN, read this:

One really good part of this episode was that we were shown a lot of Gilbert's guilt through his face expressions. I was afraid they may not show it as often as in the LN but they did pretty well on that.

I thought ending this episode the way they did feel a bit off since we know that Gilbert didn't die instantly because of the "I love you"-scene we saw in episode 1 but it makes sense if they didn't want to rush the episode even more. Though I wish they kept it how it was in the LN since

The anime will probably make something similar to get to that point so I'm not really complaining.

Also, I agree with seeing Gilbert's expressions, reminds me why I like Gilbert the most in this series and therefore I really want him to be alive.
Mar 1, 2018 3:12 AM
Feb 2018
Finally more background story.
Mar 1, 2018 3:15 AM
Mar 2016
so many spoiler tag lol
hmm Pretty good episode
when you remember first episode so dissapointing
but until eps 8 story become better and better
well done KyoAni even you mess up first episode

KyoAni trying to hard to make we believe Gilbert already dead
NdanHMMar 1, 2018 3:29 AM
Mar 1, 2018 3:29 AM

May 2014
Shineee_ said:
SalmonSandwich said:

What do you guys think?

That was a nice compressed adaptation of Violet's backstory. Actually I was looking for her battle axe, lol. That'll be a new thread I guess if they did put it.

As you said, it's leaning more on Familial love. But in the LN, I do think it's Familial love until he confessed.

As for your question

LN spoilers

T3hSourceMar 1, 2018 5:14 AM
Mar 1, 2018 3:33 AM

Feb 2017
Its not that good if we deeply analyze the situation, all related to the backstory and action. some part are really questionable. Anyway, this is just an anime, fictional story and entertainment .
Sure its not a dead kill if we shoot This small ass into someone eye (or helmet ??????? it clearly a spark there but later show us it hit the eye).
But its luger or M1991, and the angle is really a mistake in there.
And sure you can onehanded runing aim & shoot a gewehr .
Its okay tho, i wanted a happy end with some spice on the process, it would be great if they polish it more.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Mar 1, 2018 3:35 AM

Dec 2017
Loved this episode a lot. I'm surprised Violet didn't go crazy yet tinking that Gilbert is dead. Violet is right, Gilbert's eyes are gorgeous :3 too bad he got shot.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

498 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Mar 26, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.