Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jesus Christ, Cartaphilus gets more creepier every time I see him. What a nightmare.

Thought the pacing of the episode was nice as a way to develop Chise more. The part with the caged dragon whelp was tough to watch. To see humans treat creatures like that as an auction...

The psychology of this episode felt intense. Even dragon can feel such pain after what it's been through.
Feb 17, 2018 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, this episode was amazing.

I felt so bad for the kid dragon for having witnessed all the horror that he did.
Why does Cartaphilus do this? Hope we'll find out at some point.

Wonder who the woman who spoke to Chise was. :o

The scene where the dragon broke out was gruesome and seeing Chise cry made me really sad. T.T
Feb 17, 2018 11:14 AM

Apr 2016
I guess we now know the source of that dragon from OP, i like how this show is constantly reminding me that it's not just about gardening and shit.

Also was that a voice of Sakamoto Maaya ?
Feb 17, 2018 11:15 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was really good. I feel bad for that baby dragon for what it's going through. Cartaphilus is just so creepy and causes lots of trouble. I wonder who was the woman that spoke to Chise. Chise crying when the dragon broke out was heartbreaking.
Feb 17, 2018 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
Cruel treatment for that poor dragon.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 17, 2018 11:55 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
This episode was amazing. They adapted chapters 33 and 34 so well, I loved it.

It was sad seeing what they did to the dragon in the opening scene. I also really loved the dream scene with Chise and Joseph. The VA for Joseph killed it as it really brought it home for me that his character really needs to be saved. Then the auction part comes and I felt even more bad just seeing the dragon being put on display to be sold. The poor thing just wants to go home and eventually breaks loose and goes wild.

Very excited to see the next episode.

Feb 17, 2018 12:11 PM
Jul 2016
What an intense episode! I thought all this time that the rampaging dragon we saw in the 2nd cour pv would be Elias but nope...

I didn't like that "dream" scene with Cartaphilus though. Tbh, i just don't think he's that interesting a villain. And a random scene in which i'm supposed to feel sorry for him doesn't really help, especially when we know next to nothing about his character.
Feb 17, 2018 12:19 PM

Feb 2016
holy shit, all those dark vibes are giving me a really bad feeling. Shit is going to turn lit AF in no time D:

Mouloxas said:

I didn't like that "dream" scene with Cartaphilus though. Tbh, i just don't think he's that interesting a villain. And a random scene in which i'm supposed to feel sorry for him doesn't really help, especially when we know next to nothing about his character.

I don't think that dream was meant to make us feel "sorry" about Cartaphilus, but give a dark vibe about what's going to happen, you know, like an Omen
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 17, 2018 12:32 PM
Jul 2016
HereticHunter said:
I don't think that dream was meant to make us feel "sorry" about Cartaphilus, but give a dark vibe about what's going to happen, you know, like an Omen

The only thing we get from Cartaphilus is dark vibes though. His only defining trait is that he's crazy. No need for him to start apologizing and no need for kinda gory art. We realized that shit was about to go down from last week's cliffhanger anyways.
Feb 17, 2018 12:36 PM

Dec 2017
Only 5 episodes left, sad face.
Still one of the greatest anime to watch until now :]
Feb 17, 2018 1:09 PM

Aug 2016
I am well aware that this episode was way better then the ones before, but at this point I'm actually only annoyed that they now pull out what I was expecting from the "preview" with Hoshi Matsu Hito.
It's too late to save the anime for me :( exactly THAT was what I wanted to see, but it's just fades into sweet nothingness with all this nonsense before T-T But at least I have hopes that the next episodes might also go in this direction so that it's no suffering to watch until the last episode
Feb 17, 2018 1:25 PM
Jul 2016
Akiho90 said:
At this point I'm actually only annoyed that they now pull out what I was expecting from the "preview" with Hoshi Matsu Hito.

Did something happen in the ova that is somehow connected with this particular story arc? I can't remember.
Feb 17, 2018 1:47 PM
Mar 2015
Where is PETA when you need them?
Feb 17, 2018 1:52 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit things suddenly got intense these last two episodes. "reminding me its not just about gardening and shit" hahahahaha!

The poor dragons. What an epic transformation, I wonder if he'll stay that big. I wish he recognized Chise.

All sorts of questions now:
What's Josephs background story? Is he possessed by something called Cartaphilus? And why is he selling the dragons and not using them for experiments? It seemed like he was to me.
What's so bad about telling chise about the college? Will she stay or will she eventually go, be it to the college or on her own?
Who's that lady speaking into Chise's ear? What's her agenda?
Who's face does Elias wear this time?

The pot is heating up, I'm looking forward to the big finale of this show.
Feb 17, 2018 2:03 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

DAMN Cartaphilus is scary. What he is doing to that Dragon is brutal.
Hopefully Chise & the others can help the dragon.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 17, 2018 2:09 PM

Aug 2016
Mouloxas said:
Akiho90 said:
At this point I'm actually only annoyed that they now pull out what I was expecting from the "preview" with Hoshi Matsu Hito.

Did something happen in the ova that is somehow connected with this particular story arc? I can't remember.

No, it had nothing to do with the incident, but the OVA was a lot darker then the previous episodes ;) (A LOT)
Feb 17, 2018 2:21 PM
Feb 2018
What did Chise mean by "that day".. what happend that day? What is she referring to?
Feb 17, 2018 2:30 PM

Mar 2015
I thought that dragon was going to melt like the girl who was made mud. Then that dragon in the preview was that little guy. I felt uncomfortable with all those dragon scenes. I liked this arc that introduced several new characters.
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Feb 17, 2018 2:35 PM

Apr 2012
Swagernator said:
Also was that a voice of Sakamoto Maaya ?
You know it.

Yolita_Ratata said:
What did Chise mean by "that day".. what happend that day? What is she referring to?
Mildly curious about that too. Is she refering to their previous encounter with Cartaphilus? Or is it something about her experiences with dragons?
Feb 17, 2018 2:47 PM

Jun 2017
Yolita_Ratata said:

It was probably Elias' tantrum from last week imo. Remember he was holding her so strongly with the tentacles that it hurt her.

Anyway, it was hilarious how Chise guilt tripped Elias with it XD.
Feb 17, 2018 2:57 PM
Jul 2016
Akiho90 said:
No, it had nothing to do with the incident, but the OVA was a lot darker then the previous episodes ;) (A LOT)

Well, the OVA was about kid Chise's life, of course it was darker. She has grown up and she has changed here, she's not the completely suicidal person she used to be.

EratiK said:
Yolita_Ratata said:
Mildly curious about that too. Is she refering to their previous encounter with Cartaphilus? Or is it something about her experiences with dragons?

Wasn't she referring to the tentacle hentai incident Elias put her through with his jealousy antics? That's what i got from it.
Feb 17, 2018 3:11 PM

Apr 2012
Mouloxas said:
Wasn't she referring to the tentacle hentai incident Elias put her through with his jealousy antics? That's what i got from it.
I don't think that's it because Elias starts by mentionning her frail body, nothing major happened to her during the tantrum. But then again Elias might start talking about something and Chise talk about the tantrum to counter. Not sure.
Feb 17, 2018 3:17 PM

Apr 2013
That day gif

version 2

Feb 17, 2018 3:24 PM
Jul 2016
EratiK said:
I don't think that's it because Elias starts by mentioning her frail body, nothing major happened to her during the tantrum. But then again Elias might start talking about something and Chise talk about the tantrum to counter. Not sure.

I think it was just Chise trying to counter his argument. She would never complain about events where something major happened to her body (like when she created that fairy ointment) because she willingly chose to burden herself with those responsibilities, whereas the incident we're talking about was all Elias's fault.
Feb 17, 2018 3:53 PM

Dec 2011
I hoped this dragon was Elias but Why not x)
Good episode. Cartaphilus, you bast*rd why do that to young and cute dragons...
Feb 17, 2018 7:03 PM
Nov 2017
The lab scenes... Creepy af. Cartaphilus is interesting. Definitely some mental instability there hope we get to see more conflict between whatevers causing it.

Drunk Renfred was hilarious for the short while we got to see him.

Feb 17, 2018 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
I knew this episode would be hard to watch and I'm afraid I was so so so right.
I cried a lot during this, seeing the poor dragons being killed and then treated like that...my soft spot for animais doesn't help either D:

I wonder what is going on with Cartaphillus. My theory is that maybe he made a pact or something with this guy Joseph and now things are getting bad for both.

And I guess the dragon is not the same anymore, is it? He probably did something bad to it...oh man, next few episodes are going to be so harsh for me ;-;

Feb 17, 2018 8:17 PM

Jun 2017
Wow, after seeing everyone else's reactions to this episode, I feel heartless. I thought that it was pretty boring, and this is coming from a guy that loves this show so far.
Feb 17, 2018 9:51 PM

Jan 2017
That was a great episode, and a hell of a cliffhanger to leave off on. :S It's gonna be hard to wait a whole week now

Feb 17, 2018 9:56 PM

Jan 2014
that dragon seems different, what did he do?
don't tell me, he fused two dragon into one (basically, a chimera dragon)? that's sick man.
Feb 17, 2018 10:16 PM

Sep 2011
EratiK said:
Mouloxas said:
I don't think that's it because Elias starts by mentionning her frail body, nothing major happened to her during the tantrum. But then again Elias might start talking about something and Chise talk about the tantrum to counter. Not sure.

I’m certian she’s refering to the tantrum. The others though think it was something else much more related to doing things to certian stone fruit!
Feb 18, 2018 12:44 AM

May 2015
The directing for the previous episodes' comical scenes were great, but the comical direction in this episode was horrible...The scenes with the dragon in the lab as well as it becoming enraged in the auction were great though. Cartaphilus is twisted. Taking a young dragon and turning it into a monster...
Feb 18, 2018 1:30 AM
Jan 2017
The beginning of the episode was so dark and disturbing and then it jumps to them making sex jokes about Chise and Elias, then to more dark and disturbing dragon stuff. Sometimes i hate waiting week to week, i just love to binge!!!
Cant wait till nxt week!
Feb 18, 2018 2:00 AM

Jun 2016
Best episode by far, the beginning was captivating to say the least.

which day are they talking about?
agilityredfoxFeb 18, 2018 2:08 AM

Feb 18, 2018 6:19 AM

Sep 2015
I think I get it...
Feb 18, 2018 6:44 AM

Jul 2012
Didn't expect that beginning even after reading manga, animated looked creepy, got goosebumps ... Really good episode, and already College introduced and auction started, feels like that it's going so fast. I think i kinda get the idea where it's going to stop, will be interesting.
Feb 18, 2018 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, that beggining... I felt so bad for the dragon.
Also that dream with Cartaphillus, now that's a bad omen.
And that auction got me really mad, how can anyone agree with that.
Shit got real at the end, I suppose this won't be solved 5 minutes into the next episode.
Baby, daijobanai...
Feb 18, 2018 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
I was waiting for the moment when we would talk about the topic mentioned at the beginning of the second cour of the anime series. Perhaps now we will also know what "collage" is. A new character? What happiness! I can not wait for the next episode to arrive.
Feb 18, 2018 8:28 AM
Nov 2016
Cartaphilus..... I hate that white haired son of a bitch.

I am interested to see what this 'college' is.
Feb 18, 2018 10:36 AM

Jul 2014
Geez, things always take a massive dark turn when Cartaphilus is involved, don't they? This dragon auction was twisted and messed up on so many levels, and on that front the episode really nailed a good sense of atmosphere. On the comedic side of things... not so much.
Feb 18, 2018 12:35 PM
Jul 2016
jesus crust that was awful to see animated, the first scene was horrifying
Feb 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Feb 2014
The beginning scene was brutal. I really felt sad for the poor dragon being taped up and tortured like that. D=

Cartaphilus, once again, is involved in all of this as the series goes down a pretty dark path. I'm just hoping that he'll get tracked down by Chise and company and taken out of commission for good.

Before that though, is the poor dragon itself, as it changed into a demonic form at the auction and is now on a rampage. On a big cliffhanger like this, it'll be interesting to see how everyone will try to stop it.

On a smaller note, this is Elias' third human transformation, but it's also the first time that he's changed his voice. It suits him really well. =)
Feb 18, 2018 2:02 PM

Jul 2013
Holy shit. That ending got my heart racing.
Feb 18, 2018 3:04 PM

May 2014
A really fabulous episode!!
It was nice to see everyone banding together- even the dude that helped auction Chise- to save the poor lil' dragon. It was pretty horrid seeing what they did to the guy.
But didn't they mention two dragons being taken? I dread to think what happened to the other one :/

I'm pretty intrigued about the whole College thing. We even got to see Elias' possessive side...I really do wonder what he's hiding, as well as who his form this episode was based off of.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2018 5:12 PM

Jan 2014
The first scene was so fucked up. I had been eating dinner and had to pause the episode to run to the bathroom to vomit. I can usually handle scenes like that but the dragons are like animals/children to me so that was hard to watch. I can't stop thinking about what happened to the other one.
Feb 18, 2018 5:18 PM

Dec 2015
Ugh, why does this show have to do this again?

The one time in episode 15 with the choking scene in the Healing Pond was egregious enough. Why does Chise sometimes act so stupidly in response to danger? I don't understand why she would try and help or even approach Cartaphilus after the terrible things he had done to her. Sure, she is kind, but kindness does not displace basic common sense for noticing obvious danger when it is presented to you. There are so many ways to write that scene to not insult the audience's intelligence, and not betray Chise's values as a character (that she is now a girl who has developed to value her own life and not throw it away by stupidly trying to help a clearly insane sorcerer that tried to kill her).

This type of silly character writing really takes me out of the experience of the show. Otherwise, decent episode to set up for the next (final?) arc.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Feb 18, 2018 7:12 PM
Jul 2015
The current manga chapters are sooooo relevant to Cartaphillus right now. It's insane and definitely nice timing.

What a solid episode.
Feb 19, 2018 4:24 AM

May 2017
Why didn't Chise and the others informed Catarphilos to the magical -society authorities knowing he's very dangerous and a serial killer (first time they met him) or learned of him). That's like witnessing a murder and not reporting it to the police smfh I wouldn't be surprised if those siblings from the previous arc are dead now and fused with the poached dragons. Smfh, and like they know the dragons are poached yet they just wanna buy them back *face palm* why couldn't they just informed the authorities and bring down that illegal bidding syndicate or they should just storm the place down themselves, I can't believe this magic society of this verse is so lawless and yet the show failed to imply that
Feb 19, 2018 8:06 AM

Jul 2016
Job well done with the adaptation of this london arc, that feels is strong, the dragon sobbing gave me pain. Can't wait for the next episode, the priced will certainly be high.
Feb 19, 2018 8:22 AM

Aug 2015
I was planning on waiting until this finished to watch it.... just binge watched all the eps in one sitting. the waiting begins
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.