Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 15, 2018 6:32 AM

Aug 2015
As far as the anime has progressed, how old is Violet in this episode? She stated that she learned to write "a few years ago"? I haven't read its light novel and I'm curious.
Feb 15, 2018 6:58 AM

May 2015
The first episode I actually liked. Leon is a likable character, they had a nice chat and stargazing is always awesome.
Feb 15, 2018 7:05 AM

Nov 2007
Is Netflix subtitles as bad as they had been in episodes 1 and 3 for this episode? I have only seen those two episodes released by Netflix, and my overall impression is pretty bad for them. I can assume it can take a lot away from this episode which heavily relied on the dialogues and monologues.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 15, 2018 7:12 AM

May 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
Nice. Chapter 4 has been adapted. Good to see Luculia again.

This episode went so fast, felt a bit too rushed. I think they reduced quite a lot of the dialogue between Leon and Violet. This could've been the best episode but they didn't do well on it.

Would've preferred the novel's ending of chapter 4 as well. I'm not sure why they changed Leon's hair colour...

Also I was surprised that they didn't include the fact that it was actually Cattleya who was supposed to be there, not Violet. The dolls had to stay for 30 days, and since Cattleya was already busy with other jobs, Violet replaced her for a week and left earlier than all the other dolls.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's kinda disappointed with this episode. I was looking forward to the adaptation of this chapter, but it feels completely rushed and several scenes are skipped, if not altered completely.

No mention of Cattleya whatsoever; no description of how Leon's view toward women changed after that, and how Violet is basically the first one he ever fell in love with; Leon's infamous green hair didn't make any appearance and instead changed into Gilbert's hair color; no confession from Leon at all; and most of all, the one I'm most disappointed about is the fact that there's no meeting between them in the future like in the novel. IT COMPLETELY DESTROYS THE MESSAGE IMO, AND I'M SO SAD
Feb 15, 2018 7:22 AM

Jul 2012
Decent episode, didn't really get into the story this time. Violet was sad cause of the previous episode ending i assume and strange that they didn't show anything, and i feel like now they won't.
Nice to see Luculia again, thought that it was just for one time, well probably that was last time. Violet again trying to make a smile =/
Feb 15, 2018 7:27 AM

Jan 2017
This episode felt terribly misplaced, the story overall wasn't bad but it left me confused about the last week's ending... why even bother putting that scene there? I enjoy most of the little stories in each episode but I feel like they should be doing a better job with keeping up with the timeline cause it feels really messy to me.
Feb 15, 2018 7:47 AM

Dec 2017
At first, Leon looked like a girl! He's so cute and a bit tsundere I'd say. I liked this episode overall, but I wanted to see the conversation between Violet and Gilbert's brother. I hope they'll show it in the next episode. I expected other flashbacks at the end, but there wasn't.
Feb 15, 2018 7:52 AM

Jul 2014
WTF ? What was the point of last week's ending then ?

I thought I skipped an episode or two and suddenly we jumped to where Leon is ?

Cut many scenes and out of the place cliffhanger, what the hell happened ?
Feb 15, 2018 8:27 AM

Dec 2009
Goddamn Violet's smile is something else. They can animate that well.
Feb 15, 2018 8:29 AM

Apr 2016
Tronitus said:
As far as the anime has progressed, how old is Violet in this episode? She stated that she learned to write "a few years ago"? I haven't read its light novel and I'm curious.

I'm pretty sure she's 18 by now... But I'll have to check.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 15, 2018 8:36 AM

May 2016
I don't know if this was the best episode so far or not but this was definitely a great episode.
Feb 15, 2018 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
While on one hand, I am a little disappointed that there was no follow through from the tense ending of last episode...

On the other hand, damn this was a nice episode. It was a sweet story with some interesting character development, the beautiful animation was in full force, and the music was fantastic!
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Feb 15, 2018 9:18 AM

Jan 2014
I'm getting tired of hearing her full name everytime someone call Violet.
Feb 15, 2018 9:24 AM

Sep 2016
Lord_Lamington said:
So it's been years and she still isn't aware that the guy is dead? wat
It's just been a few months or so. In the beginning of the first episode they mentioned that the war ended just recently. Violet can't grow up so fast XD
Feb 15, 2018 10:27 AM

Dec 2014
I'm kinda confused, we were left with a cliffhanger last week only for it to be completely ignored and the story is thrown in to a different location all of the sudden, the story was alright I guess but it seems all over the place, I thought Violet had grown some more considering the things she's done but she doesn't even know what loneliness is now? I hope the plot structure gets better from now on
Feb 15, 2018 10:32 AM

Sep 2013
It was decent but kyoani really dropping the ball on the adaptation.
Feb 15, 2018 11:06 AM

Jun 2017
I can't understand, why can those guys read old books but not write themselves? Do they know the old language, but not the current?
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
Feb 15, 2018 11:08 AM
May 2015
T3hSource said:
Well, this is pretty much a "nothing" episode. Heck, you can't even track the Leon's progression as a character, retroactively trying to cover ground for his characterization, but it's just backdrop anyway. Even his behavior can't be inferred enough because he is so condensed by the screenplay.

Even moreso, this episode tried to put over Violet even more, despite still being as personable as a wet noodle. She's shown to stick up to others, despite her cold attitude, now she learns longing and loneliness, another metaphorical "step" to "learn what love is". And sacrificing Leon's character in the process by making him a fanboy of Violet in the process.

So now, we see that Violet is perfectly competent by developing her emotional reading skills offscreen(yay timeskips), and now we see how she makes fanbois. It's hilarious what military training and a bit of WAR does to an orphan.

Leon blamed his mother for leaving him, and saw love as something that makes everyone act irrational, he also seems to have resentment towards women in general. When Violet tells him that she would leave to find that person she loves, Leon is surprised, he didn't think even someone like Violet, as robotic and perfect as she seems to be, would act the way her mother did. He's acknowledging that part of human nature, and decides to step out of his comfort zone, maybe unconsciously wanting to go look for his parents even though that's an irrational action that will most likely get him killed as well. I haven't read the novel but I didn't think this episode was "nothing", far from it. if you can't track his progression that's on you more than the screenplay.
Feb 15, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2016
Beautiful episode and I think it's also my favorite so far.

Violet and Leon could share so much with each other,felt pretty sad when they had to part.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 15, 2018 11:12 AM
Jan 2018
well because i don't really like slice of live drama so this episde bit boring for me.............. before i always give bad comment about previous episodes because violet seems dumb and feels like a garlic bread(side/extra character). but right now this episode have violet show some litle character. violet feels like a main character now and not some ptsd dumb anymore, she also realized that she is no longer a soldier anymore and such. btw the moment when leon confess really make me laugh, adn the most f*cked up funny part is when he spoke for the first time i shocked that he is a man. so 4/5 for this episode
Feb 15, 2018 11:12 AM

Feb 2016
What a fucking joke, why would they tease us with that cliffhanger scene from last week episode? It all pointed that they would finally make some advancements into Violet's Story but no, they send us right to another worthless story.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 15, 2018 11:15 AM

Feb 2016
Rumble_Shift said:
WTF ? What was the point of last week's ending then ?

I thought I skipped an episode or two and suddenly we jumped to where Leon is ?

Cut many scenes and out of the place cliffhanger, what the hell happened ?

Ikr? I feel betrayed, they show us some interesting cliffhanger that might be a decent turn on the series, but no, they decided to ignore it and show us another worthless story.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 15, 2018 11:22 AM

Apr 2016
hikikomoriMK-II said:
I can't understand, why can those guys read old books but not write themselves? Do they know the old language, but not the current?

They do know how to write themselves. But since the recent workload was beyond their capabilities to finish, they had to hire Auto Memory Dolls.

HereticHunter said:
What a fucking joke, why would they tease us with that cliffhanger scene from last week episode? It all pointed that they would finally make some advancements into Violet's Story but no, they send us right to another worthless story.

It's kind of as if they've completely forgot what they did in the last episode...

Feb 15, 2018 11:50 AM
Jan 2018
Better and better I think, maybe when you watch this episode it went too fast but no problems I really enjoyed how the story is going on

But I still curious about ending ep5, when violet met with Dietfried Bougenville, and we saw a little flashback about violet has killed people on ship and in this episode we still don't know about what will happen next but it's okay I'll wait and see how Kyoani explain that and i hope it will pleased me hopefully

Sorry for my bad English
Feb 15, 2018 11:53 AM

Aug 2017
Excuse me but this is the worst episode so far. Leon's backstory was boring. Everything was so rushed that it i have to pause the video many times! This is canon? It seems that the source is not good. Pretty colours. 2/5
NurguburuFeb 15, 2018 12:20 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 15, 2018 12:42 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
A step down from last week's episode. I thought this was one of the more boring episodes.

The music was really terrific though, the jaunty tune midway through the episode was great.

Not much to say about this one honestly, but it was great to see Luculia again. I'd like to know how much she's grown since the last time we saw her. Wish she got more screen time.
Feb 15, 2018 1:11 PM

May 2014
Eanraig said:
Leon blamed his mother for leaving him, and saw love as something that makes everyone act irrational, he also seems to have resentment towards women in general. When Violet tells him that she would leave to find that person she loves, Leon is surprised, he didn't think even someone like Violet, as robotic and perfect as she seems to be, would act the way her mother did. He's acknowledging that part of human nature, and decides to step out of his comfort zone, maybe unconsciously wanting to go look for his parents even though that's an irrational action that will most likely get him killed as well. I haven't read the novel but I didn't think this episode was "nothing", far from it. if you can't track his progression that's on you more than the screenplay.

Why should he be surprised? Violet's motive is very clearly towards Gilbert whom she's obsessed with. That context is incomparable to a mother leaving her child to go on a dangerous journey to find her love.
The juxtaposition would work much more impactfully if we weren't rushing through the story, letting Leon breath without Violet's presence. Everything is abrupt in order to meet the 20 minute time schedule. I don't offer my sympathies easily, and neither should Violet, especially as a former soldier. But hey, she's perfect, infallible, and is now making fanboys.
Feb 15, 2018 2:20 PM

Jan 2015
Leon: Would you gaze at the stars again with me?
Violet: No, you're just a filler character!

Leon: Filler character janai, Katsura da!
Feb 15, 2018 2:31 PM
May 2009
By intentionally making Violet character seem expressionless, almost tired like, the writer managed to subconsciously arouse many hero-minded viewers to cheer her up and looking forward to see her happy.

Enjoying every single episode and even recommended it to other adult friends.

The fact that she has some resemblance to Saber from you-know-which-anime only increases our love for this character. Ganbate Violet Evergarden san!
Feb 15, 2018 2:48 PM

Sep 2011
Major_Gilbert said:
hikikomoriMK-II said:

They do know how to write themselves. But since the recent workload was beyond their capabilities to finish, they had to hire Auto Memory Dolls.

HereticHunter said:

It's kind of as if they've completely forgot what they did in the last episode...

If you had payed attention you would have noticed that violet was upset at the start of this episode due to the confrontation she had with the brother. We’ll probably see the rest of the confrontation later but she probably just ignored him and didn’t say anything to him. It seems the sort of thing Violet would do.

To those that go on about “filler characters” you are probably misunderstandng what this show is trying to do. Each episode effectively has a different protagonist and its their story NOT violets that is being told. Above this there is an overaching plot about Violet
scruffykiwiFeb 15, 2018 2:53 PM
Feb 15, 2018 2:59 PM

Jul 2015
I hate fake cliffhangers!!

Feb 15, 2018 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
Violet and Leon are actually perfect for each other.

"Without him, I might as well be dead." Shit, no one tell Violet the Major is dead.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 15, 2018 3:18 PM

Apr 2016
scruffykiwi said:
Major_Gilbert said:

If you had payed attention you would have noticed that violet was upset at the start of this episode due to the confrontation she had with the brother. We’ll probably see the rest of the confrontation later but she probably just ignored him and didn’t say anything to him. It seems the sort of thing Violet would do.

To those that go on about “filler characters” you are probably misunderstandng what this show is trying to do. Each episode effectively has a different protagonist and its their story NOT violets that is being told. Above this there is an overaching plot about Violet

Just checked, and it seems so. I hope what you say does happen.

Feb 15, 2018 4:48 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
Decent episode! Thought we would get to see a continuation of what happened between Violet and Dietfried but eh, I hope we will get to know what happened later on.

I’m glad to see Luculia again, not to mention she looks cute with a ponytail <3!

Violet has grown to understand feelings and connect with them more, it’s nice to see her smiling ~
-ArisaFeb 16, 2018 6:31 AM

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Feb 15, 2018 4:49 PM

Aug 2015
Yasaal said:
Lord_Lamington said:
So it's been years and she still isn't aware that the guy is dead? wat
It's just been a few months or so. In the beginning of the first episode they mentioned that the war ended just recently. Violet can't grow up so fast XD

Yeah but they also said in the episode that violet learned to write a few years ago, which is what had me confused
Feb 15, 2018 4:59 PM

Dec 2016
Very nice episode :D Who wonder Violet would work with someone who shares something in common?

And she smiled again at the end ^_^ gorgeous <3

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 15, 2018 5:12 PM

Mar 2013
I cry everytime that sad song plays
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Sep 2017
Surprised they didn't touch on anything from last episode. This was a nice story, though it felt a little rushed.
Feb 15, 2018 6:48 PM

Aug 2017
Aww the guy was such a cutie! But this episode felt really rushed and empty. Didn't really feel much when they separated and that says a lot since I'm a huge crybaby. Wish there was more.
Feb 15, 2018 7:16 PM

Dec 2016
I like how Leon was pretty much a male version of Violet, even down to face shape and eye color lol. But Man I really like Leon, I wish there was some way we could see him again, but I imagine that's probably not going to happen :(
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 15, 2018 7:36 PM
Feb 2014
It was a really relaxing watch. She s such an elegant character with a damaged past. You kinda just wanna sit with her and just talk.
Dokia
Feb 15, 2018 7:40 PM
Feb 2014
Zura_Orokamono said:

Actually though. Lol
Dokia
Feb 15, 2018 7:45 PM

Jan 2018
I hope that KyoAni must not ignore on that cliffhanger from Episode 5. We need answers. Badly.
Feb 15, 2018 7:46 PM

Sep 2016
Lord_Lamington said:
Yasaal said:

Yeah but they also said in the episode that violet learned to write a few years ago, which is what had me confused
Now that you think of it yeah you're right. Maybe she learnt while on the war? But then that can't happen since first off she can't have time to learn to write while fighting XD and then in the first episode she didn't know how to write. I think she lied or smt? Or that the novel said she learnt it a few years ago while the anime (which is mainly original content) got it mixed up... Maybe the director didn't check it up or something...
Feb 15, 2018 7:47 PM

Sep 2016
Zura_Orokamono said:

Thank God I wasn't the only guy who thought of that XD
Feb 15, 2018 7:54 PM

Jun 2016
ahh what a beutifull star... sadly the ship is in repair... sry leon
Feb 15, 2018 8:47 PM

Nov 2014
This episode was alright and quite sweet in many ways but I still don't understand how she was able to have such a huge influence on him, nothing in their conversations was particularly compelling in that sense. It feels like they skipped a couple of important steps to reach the conclusion.
Forum Signature
Feb 15, 2018 8:56 PM

Nov 2008
Leon was kyooooooooooooooooooooot. X3

tambi33 said:
"That guy's" dad was basically the tomb raider of book collecting...
for some reason i'm shipping "that guy" and Violet. why...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cuz it's cute? XD

Feb 16, 2018 1:26 AM

Oct 2015
So far it was my favourite episode, even though, according to the comments, it was still a wasted potential, because of the skipped scenes/altered story.
I wish it really was as good as some of you described how it originally should have been.

That cliffhanger last episode was indeed a bit annoying, but I don't know what could have happened there. Violet probably just ignored the guy, and just went on her business. Also this episode we saw her being quite sad at the beginning. I guess we know why.

Feb 16, 2018 2:31 AM

Apr 2016
Yasaal said:
Lord_Lamington said:

Now that you think of it yeah you're right. Maybe she learnt while on the war? But then that can't happen since first off she can't have time to learn to write while fighting XD and then in the first episode she didn't know how to write. I think she lied or smt? Or that the novel said she learnt it a few years ago while the anime (which is mainly original content) got it mixed up... Maybe the director didn't check it up or something...

Anime producers made a mistake. In the novel, she doesn't say anything related to her having learnt writing a few years ago when she is typing for Leon.

However, the only time where she mentions learning something is during the conversation with those other men. She says this

“It has only been a few years ever since I learned how to read.”

So they should've said 'read', not 'write'.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

498 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Mar 26, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.