Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2018 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, Violet continously doing her usual work while bonding with humans.

She's still not showing much emotions but I feel like she's learning more. The show still develops more on the character's stories for the side cast. Not surprised at this point but it gives a chance for Violet to understand them better.

That night scene with the aurora is quite a sight :o
Feb 14, 2018 7:28 AM

Apr 2016
Nice. Chapter 4 has been adapted. Good to see Luculia again.

This episode went so fast, felt a bit too rushed. I think they reduced quite a lot of the dialogue between Leon and Violet. This could've been the best episode but they didn't do well on it.

Would've preferred the novel's ending of chapter 4 as well. I'm not sure why they changed Leon's hair colour...

Also I was surprised that they didn't include the fact that it was actually Cattleya who was supposed to be there, not Violet. The dolls had to stay for 30 days, and since Cattleya was already busy with other jobs, Violet replaced her for a week and left earlier than all the other dolls.
Major_GilbertFeb 15, 2018 1:36 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 14, 2018 7:37 AM

May 2015
Major_Gilbert said:

This episode went so fast, felt a bit rushed but not bad.

yea
was waiting for tsundere boy to confess
luculia ponytail <3
Feb 14, 2018 7:39 AM

Mar 2013
Major_Gilbert said:

I'm pretty sure Leon was supposed to have green hair... Other than that I don't see many flaws in this one. Would've preferred the novel's ending of chapter 4 though.

Did not expect this chapter to be the first one to be adapted, expected chapter 1.

One of my favorite novel chapter and the first novel based episode ended up being my least favorite in the anime ironically. With ep 4 Iris was the only reason I didn't like the episode, but I had no problem with the overall character development and pacing, but this episode had some problems with directing and pacing.

Really should have been split into 2 episodes, but I guess they had to pace it for a 1-cour so its understandable. None of the scenes really have room to breathe. I.E. when shes eating alone. Sucks though since this could have been a really poignant arc for Violet if it had room to breathe. A fellow orphan and social outcast that slowly that gets to know our main character and actually teaches Violet that she does care for the major, and also teaches her then she has motivations other then her job and duty.
Episode ended up feeling too fast and that last 1/3 of the episode didn't have time to be fleshed out.

Really liked the design of the observatory, didn't expect the production team to go into that mountainous architecture aesthetic. Also nice touch with Violet meeting her fellow alumni's of the training school.
SalmonSandwichFeb 14, 2018 7:47 AM
Feb 14, 2018 7:44 AM

Apr 2016
kurikinton said:
Major_Gilbert said:

yea
was waiting for tsundere boy to confess
luculia ponytail <3

He actually does confess in the novel. This is her answer:

SalmonSandwich said:
Major_Gilbert said:

I'm pretty sure Leon was supposed to have green hair... Other than that I don't see many flaws in this one. Would've preferred the novel's ending of chapter 4 though.

Did not expect this chapter to be the first one to be adapted, expected chapter 1.

One of my favorite novel chapter and the first novel based episode ended up being my least favorite in the anime ironically. With ep 4 Iris was the only reason I didn't like the episode, but I had no problem with the overall character development and pacing, but this episode had some problems with directing and pacing.

Really should have been split into 2 episodes, but I guess they had to pace it for a 1-cour so its understandable. None of the scenes really have room to breathe. I.E. when shes eating alone. Sucks though since this could have been a really poignant arc for Violet if it had room to breathe. A fellow orphan and social outcast that slowly that gets to know our main character and actually teaches Violet that she does care for the major, and also teaches her then she has motivations other then her job and duty.
Episode ended up feeling too fast and that last 1/3 of the episode didn't have time to be fleshed out.

Really liked the design of the observatory, didn't expect the production team to go into that mountainous architecture aesthetic. Also nice touch with Violet meeting her fellow alumni's of the training school.

This was my favourite chapter as well out of her adventures. But I didn't expect much from them considering the way they adapted Chapter 8 in the first episode. I wonder which chapter they'll adapt next.
Major_GilbertFeb 14, 2018 7:55 AM

Feb 14, 2018 8:01 AM

Mar 2013
Major_Gilbert said:

This was my favourite chapter as well out of her adventures. But I didn't expect much from them considering the way they adapted Chapter 8 in the first episode. I wonder which chapter they'll adapt next.

I see it differently because with chapter 8 while they did use material from the novel it was done in a way that it was written to suit the story direction they were going with. They used it as an inspiration more to write their own beginning for this anime then adapting it straight.

Where as last episode was completely original, but felt like it belonged to the novel since it was being true to its themes. With this episode they really held back and instead prioritized fitting everything in one episode then telling their own vision of the story and it ended up feeling watered down.

TLDR: This episode felt like a checklist marked off for the director and production team then their own interpretation for the source material.
Feb 14, 2018 8:04 AM

Apr 2016
SalmonSandwich said:
Major_Gilbert said:

I see it differently because with chapter 8 while they did use material from the novel it was done in a way that it was written to suit the story direction they were going with. They used it as an inspiration more to write their own beginning for this anime then adapting it straight.

Where as last episode was completely original, but felt like it belonged to the novel since it was being true to its themes. With this episode they really held back and instead prioritized fitting everything in one episode then telling their own vision of the story and it ended up feeling watered down.

TLDR: This episode felt like a checklist marked off for the director and production team then their own interpretation for the source material.

I guess so. Although they did seem to have adapted chapter 8 in their own way, I still prefer the way the novel started. I guess that's why I didn't like the first episode. But I agree that this episode felt like they didn't put the effort in. I hope that they don't make the next chapter like this.
Major_GilbertFeb 14, 2018 8:12 AM

Feb 14, 2018 8:39 AM

Apr 2010
This was a nice episode i really liked the guy this time even if he didn't express himself that much it was nice to watch.
He probably was expecting someone completely different from Violet.
It was nice to see him fall in love like that.
Feb 14, 2018 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
Everywhere I try to watch this episode, they have episode 4 posted as episode 6. Am I missing something or was the entire anime community just off yesterday? Is episode 6 actually out anywhere yet, I'm so confused.
Feb 14, 2018 10:35 AM

Apr 2016
lithae said:
Everywhere I try to watch this episode, they have episode 4 posted as episode 6. Am I missing something or was the entire anime community just off yesterday? Is episode 6 actually out anywhere yet, I'm so confused.

Not sure why that happened, but Episode 6 has been released at the right time today.

Feb 14, 2018 10:49 AM

Jun 2013
Now, this is what I want to see from this series.

The direction here is amazing, the music placement is suiting, the animation is beautiful, the story is interesting, Literally, everything in this episode felt great for me!
There is character development for side characters here as well, though it works pretty slowly on Violet.

Damm, I really thought tsundere boy was a girl at first lol...

5/5 This is what I want to see from Violet Evergarden.

Feb 14, 2018 10:54 AM

Apr 2016
MrMushin said:

I had my doubts as well for the first few minutes...

Feb 14, 2018 11:00 AM

Jun 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
MrMushin said:

I had my doubts as well for the first few minutes...

Haha I was afraid I was the only one...
Feb 14, 2018 11:18 AM

Nov 2007
They included the flower trio Bluebell , Iberis and Luculia from the third episode and added them with the story of the novel? Not bad!

Leon's story was sad. How much her mother loved his father that she stopped being a performer and settled down in this town and eventually had Leon with him yet she left him in search for his father. I thought it was really cruel on her part yet Violet nailed it that she was still precious to Leon which he wouldn't admit.

And then when she talked about Gilbert, she still didn't realize that she missed him until Leon pointed out what it means to feel lonely.

What got me though when Violet said Gilbert means the world to her and she would be better of dead without her world. It was pretty difficult for me since I am almost certain that her world is no more.

The last part was beautiful. Leon's meeting with Violet liberated him and gave him the courage to look forward to the coming days! I will just think that he fell in love with her.

Nothing of significant happened yet again, just that Violet realizing one of her many emotions when it comes to Gilbert. I really loved this episode!

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 14, 2018 1:47 PM

Jul 2015
So this was canon... looks like the source is as meh then, I really didn't notice a difference with the rest of the episodes.
Feb 14, 2018 2:22 PM
Jan 2015
Certainly I'm a little bit dissapointed. I wanted to know what happened with Violet in the flashback on last episode.

The episode is not bad, but is not too brilliant in my opinion. Also, there's no development in the story in this episode.

Well, I hope there will be more development next week.

jorge123espFeb 14, 2018 2:40 PM
Feb 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Apr 2016
MetaThPr4h said:
So this was canon... looks like the source is as meh then, I really didn't notice a difference with the rest of the episodes.

The source is good, just the way they adapted it being pretty bad and rushed.

Feb 14, 2018 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
The least but still satisfying episode i've seen yet :v

I want to make some gifs out of this but i'll have to wait for netflix release :v
duderusFeb 14, 2018 4:04 PM

Feb 14, 2018 3:41 PM

Jun 2015
This was a decent episode, not much happened. Leon's backstory is quite sad, but I didn't care much for him. Him and Violent are similar. Them looking at the comet was nice.
Feb 14, 2018 4:36 PM

Dec 2017
i was expecting some follow up from last episode's ending about her bloody past, but welp, i guess it's some more 'i want to understand how feelings work' again
Feb 14, 2018 4:37 PM

Dec 2016
Nice to see some familiar faces, especially Luculia.

I wouldn't be very good at that job if I was either gender, I can't type fast, nor can I read that well at times.

That was have been really cool seeing a comet like that in real life.

What happens once Violet finds out the one she loves is already dead? Her reaction to it anyway.

I feel really happy for Leon at the end, he found a new reason for living, Violet completely changed him.
Feb 14, 2018 4:42 PM

Jan 2017
I think this has been my favorite episode so far. Absolutely loved it. I have the series as an 8/10, but if it were rated on an episode-to-episode basis, this one would get like a 9.25-9.5/10 for me.

Feb 14, 2018 5:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
i had my hopes up with last week being genuinely good for once but its back being alright at best.

far from the worst episode but still .. urgh
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 14, 2018 6:06 PM

Dec 2015
From how the last episode left off, I honestly thought this episode was gonna explore Violet's past with Dietfried, but I guess I was wrong.

Leon developed in a very nice and well-paced through the course of one episode. Each emotional beat of the story was delivered without feeling rushed, probably partially credited to the magnificent OST that accompanied certain scenes.

We finally get to see Violet connect and learn emotions through a male character, and her dynamic with Leon felt very natural. Her development as both a Doll and a person is also very visible and truly a spectacle to behold.

The only gripe I had with this episode is I wished Violet interacted more with the other Dolls and Luculia from ep. 3 after not seeing them for so long.

Looking forward to next week.
HibikaseFeb 14, 2018 6:12 PM
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Feb 14, 2018 6:12 PM
Jan 2017
I am honestly very satisfied with the story-style of this anime thus far. Each episode seems to be its own standalone story and rather having Violet being the main character, it’s more us observing the stories of others through the lenses of Violet. We are able to see other characters grow, and in turn, see Violet grow as a person.
Feb 14, 2018 6:19 PM

Aug 2014
The story is finally getting better, Tho the ending of the last episode seems useless now since I would assume the brother would've told her that the collenel is dead.{if we are going to learn more about that meeting then please don't spoil it to me and not even hints please} A great episode nonetheless and I'm finally happy to be able to enjoy this after finding it to be boring for some of the last episodes.

On a side Note: does anyone know if book they read exists? And I'm not talking about halley's commet I meant that version of the book.
RPWPAFeb 14, 2018 6:26 PM
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Feb 14, 2018 7:32 PM

Dec 2014
Nice episode.

Violet's come to love her work.

Leon teaches Violet the meaning of loneliness while Violet in turn teaches Leon to live his life to the fullest. :)
Feb 14, 2018 7:50 PM

Apr 2013
The faceless dudes had me busting out laughing. Dirty macking at its finest, except not really.

Lol @ keeping another man's name in your mouth and going through the tedium of telling his business in an attempt to win a girl over. If anything, if she's even worth it, she'll only think you're a chump and a sucker.
Feb 14, 2018 8:38 PM
Sep 2013
Way to make a ship and then sink it straight away lol
Feb 14, 2018 8:57 PM

Dec 2014
well that was a good episode...no much story development... I like how this series develop Violet by development of other characters
Feb 14, 2018 10:11 PM

Apr 2016
Yeah like why not every seasonal anime need its own trap.

Also those men in that observatory, like did they never seen a woman i their life ? Because their reactions were ... generic.
Feb 14, 2018 10:43 PM
Nov 2017
Are they going to show more from the ending from last weeks episode or is that kind of just out of the way now??
Feb 14, 2018 10:51 PM

Dec 2013
At first I thought I skipped an episode because of last week's ending but, this episode was a good one. I love it when Violet uses her hands to make herself smile. All the more funnier when she understands that other people think she looks emotionless. I guess she does know xD
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Feb 14, 2018 11:18 PM

May 2015
"A profession full of women who hope to one day marry into money." That's racist. *DING!*

Astronomical observatory...more like one huge dating convention...

I miss Violet's salutes...but the show must go on...

"If one's birth or upbringing places a restriction on who they can speak to, then I believe you should stay away from me. I am merely stating the facts."

Translation: "If I'm not good enough for you, then BTFO." PWNED! +1 to Violet!

Among the side characters we've come across, I think Leon is the best one yet. He's a little similar to Violet, and he got to converse with her a lot about who she is and what she feels. Nice episode overall.
TarotistFeb 14, 2018 11:51 PM
Feb 14, 2018 11:25 PM

Apr 2016
YouStink said:
Are they going to show more from the ending from last weeks episode or is that kind of just out of the way now??

Not sure since that was a quite a surprise for novel readers. A similar situation like that was supposed to happen towards the end. In the novel they do have a conversation, so they might include that.

Feb 14, 2018 11:30 PM

Jan 2015
Wonderful episode, even tho the last one was better and more emotional
Feb 15, 2018 1:34 AM
Oct 2015
These episodes are just absolutely amazing, I'm glad that Violet is beginning to understand the human emotions. Also, I like the indirect way of saying "I Love You", even though it isn't original to this particular anime.
Heckle was here...
Feb 15, 2018 2:01 AM

Jul 2017
Seems the pattern is definitely set Violet visits somewhere her bluntness affects a person she meets into realising something and in return she learns something herself.

This week loneliness, although I'm not sure she is feeling that because she has friends/colleagues when back at base. I'm sure her feelings at being separated from the Major is a different feeling like longing or yearning.

I liked her defending her partner in her own special way and the comet was cool (even if they then went OTT by putting an Aurora Borealis in there as well).

I still want/need more flashback stuff.
Feb 15, 2018 2:05 AM
Aug 2015
I really liked this episode although there were some changes from the novel like Leon's appearance, I don't know why they decided to give him white skin and dark hair...
The backgrounds were pretty, I imagined it like that when I was reading the novel. Leon's character, his interactions with Violet and his background were faithful to to novel, although I think they should have spent more time on his story. But it was really moving.
They also changed the farewell scene, and Leon's confession, but I think it was well done in the episode.

So despite the changes, I liked this episode, my favorite one with Luculia's, and I hope the next ones will be based on the novel. Episodes with Erica, Iris and Charlotte were a waste of time for me.
Feb 15, 2018 2:25 AM

Jan 2017
Swagernator said:
Also those men in that observatory, like did they never seen a woman i their life ? Because their reactions were ... generic.

I'm pretty sure that's the case (can't trust my memory tho)

Felt a bit too rushed. Not as effective as the adapted chapter but I guess you can't just fit a lot of details unto a 24 mins episode.

Now that they started doing adaptation, all I can hope is a great adaptation from them. Every chapter is just beautiful.

I wonder what episode is her encounter with Dietfried. They already showed a sneak peek.
Feb 15, 2018 2:45 AM
Jun 2017
Wow!!! I love this episode, ONE OF MY FAVORITE SO FAR (in this series), sadly i thought it will have atleast 2 episodes for this story.. anyway i love the collaboration of Violet and Leon. That comet viewing is pretty beautiful and pleasing to me.

*and the message for this episode is a must one for all of us!!!
Feb 15, 2018 3:32 AM

Jan 2012
I think that the potential conflict at the end of the last episode was a interesting cliff hanger. When the new one didn't pick it up I was rather disappointed especially because it was just another stand alone short story which taught Violet a little more about emotions. Further more the story couldn't catch my interest. The guy's contempt for the Doll job could have been used as basis for some interesting drama, but it didn't play any role after he met Violet for the first time. Instead the same harmonic atmosphere was maintained throughout. Because of these the whole episode felt dull and monotonous.
Feb 15, 2018 3:32 AM

May 2014
Well, this is pretty much a "nothing" episode. Heck, you can't even track the Leon's progression as a character, retroactively trying to cover ground for his characterization, but it's just backdrop anyway. Even his behavior can't be inferred enough because he is so condensed by the screenplay.

Even moreso, this episode tried to put over Violet even more, despite still being as personable as a wet noodle. She's shown to stick up to others, despite her cold attitude, now she learns longing and loneliness, another metaphorical "step" to "learn what love is". And sacrificing Leon's character in the process by making him a fanboy of Violet in the process.

So now, we see that Violet is perfectly competent by developing her emotional reading skills offscreen(yay timeskips), and now we see how she makes fanbois. It's hilarious what military training and a bit of WAR does to an orphan.

Feb 15, 2018 4:41 AM

Sep 2016
This episode felt a bit cliched but overall was as usual lovely to watch, both from an art and plot perspective. I still don't like the OP but the ED (and Violet's smile) still leave me in awe.

Also. I found tsundere-san quite relatable for me in his emotions XD
Feb 15, 2018 4:49 AM

Mar 2015
Excellent episode. I had hoped to see something of the encounter at the end of last week with Gilbert's relative (Brother? Cousin?). Still quite enjoyable. Leon is a good demonstration of a person who is absolutely convinced of his own opinions but who winds up being dashed against the rocks of reality! ;-)

I hadn't thought loneliness as a key to understanding love, but it is now that I reflect on it: its good to know both sides of the coin. And again Violet is a catalyst (just like Kanata from Soro no Woto) and I'm loving how she affects others every week just by being Violet.
The sword that takes life gives life
Feb 15, 2018 5:19 AM

Jan 2017
"That guy's" dad was basically the tomb raider of book collecting...
for some reason i'm shipping "that guy" and Violet. why...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and Violet, she's bloody Sherlock sometimes

but her hearts in the right place (as she is meant to be sort of emotionless)

meh, this episode was interesting... although ive forgotten some of the characters; who was it that she first met in that building.
and have i missed an episode since last episode ended with Dietfired (i believe) and this week was something different is there some sort of detach between episodes or something
Feb 15, 2018 5:25 AM

Jan 2018
It was a good episode. But I will rate it 4/5. I was expecting a continuation of the previous episode between Violet and Major Gilbert's bastard / douchebag brother. But, my oh my, it went into a different story.

Nice to see Luculia again. Her story is quite memorable for me.

Violet's smile. Episode 05 all over again. Hahaha

Is this the first time Violet encountered loneliness? Correct me if I'm wrong because it might be the first time.

And the comet scene, it really reminds me of Your Name, even some parts of the soundtrack. It has a slight blend of Your Name. But still, when it comes to the visual portrayal of the comet, you get the point.

Leon and Violet might work out but still I'm for Major Gilbert. Too late, Leon.

I hope they should continue the part where they left on Episode 5. I was really expecting that one. Urgh.
Nainu_Feb 15, 2018 5:29 AM
Feb 15, 2018 5:38 AM
Nov 2017
Not gonna lie, towards the part of the comet, my heart started getting flooded with feels, really hope we see Leon again.
Feb 15, 2018 5:39 AM

Feb 2014
I was hoping that this episode would continue the encounter with Dietfried from last week, so I am a little saddened that they didn't do so for this episode.

However, I still like this episode as a whole, with Violet and Leon making a really interesting duo together. Not just in their work ethics, but also their shared similarities with their pasts.

I did think for a second that Leon was a girl, going by his hairstyle, but the voice proved me wrong. Still, despite his initial cold stance at first, he opened up to Violet and their talk while watching Ally's Comet was really enjoyable.

The same can be said for the last scene, with Violet departing and Leon expressing to her how he's found new inspiration to travel around the world, just like Violet does. Since we did see Luculia making a small cameo in this episode (nice hairstyle she had =3), maybe we'll see Leon again in the future. =)

Overall, like last week, this was a really nice episode.
Feb 15, 2018 5:48 AM

Aug 2015
So it's been years and she still isn't aware that the guy is dead? wat
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

498 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Mar 26, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.