Forum Settings
Forums

WHY GINTAMA IS DOMINATING THE TOP ANIME LIST

New
Feb 12, 2018 10:59 PM

Sep 2017
I don't understand is GINTAMA really that good or is it a troll.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 12, 2018 11:00 PM
Aug 2016
Beats me. Watch the show for yourself
Feb 12, 2018 11:01 PM

Apr 2013
Dunno man, that usually happens when a series has a huge fanbase, it explains most of the rankings on this site.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Feb 12, 2018 11:02 PM

Sep 2015
It's one of the finest comedies out there in my opinion.

+ it has good action from time to time and a really likable cast of characters

maybe that's why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2018 11:03 PM

Feb 2013
sequel effect
plus the first season is 200 eps long

no one who can watch the 200 episode season is going to dislike the newer ones or such
Feb 12, 2018 11:04 PM

Aug 2010
No, it has a multitude of sequels, so the latter ones are only rated by hardcore fans (most people who would rate it lower dropped it at some point).

That is the sequel effect, and can be noticed with every sequel (mostly)

Is Gintama good? Well, you can only decide that for yourself mate. Watch it.
Feb 12, 2018 11:05 PM

Aug 2015
Because Gintama is the best comedy show? And only those who liked first season will watch second third etc seasons, so naturally they will have even better ratings then first season
Feb 12, 2018 11:07 PM

Dec 2014
it's the best ofc
sequel effect probably
but yeah it's one of my favourites
give it a go, find out for yourself
Feb 12, 2018 11:12 PM
Jun 2017
I'm not trying to offend any Gintama fans but look at the members.

Gintama has a really low member (people who've seen the anime) count compared to other series. A small portion of the community has seen Gintama. The ones that have seen it rate it very high (for some reason).

Put simply, if more people were to watch Gintama, the score would be lower.
Feb 12, 2018 11:15 PM

May 2015
As many people have already said, the reason why it dominates the top 10 is because the only people watching those seasons are those who completed the first. And since they had to watch 200 episodes, the only people continuing the series are the ones who like it. Nobody watches 200 episodes of something they don't like.

As for whether or not it's actually good, it's in my top 3, so I obviously think so. But, you should actually watch it yourself to see if it's your thing or not.

Feb 12, 2018 11:20 PM

Dec 2014
Kuraokani said:

Gintama has a really low member (people who've seen the anime) count compared to other series. A small portion of the community has seen Gintama. The ones that have seen it rate it very high (for some reason).

I mean you've got a point. Doubt the score would drop by far anyways. If you've watched Gintama you'll understand. Re:Zero has a pretty high score even though it's trash and has a load of users. Then again that's all my own opinion and people should be able to like what they want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2018 11:25 PM

Aug 2012
Because people that actually watch through the first season, aka 200 episodes, end up loving it for multiple reasons.

Gintama also happen to get better by the sequels, so it doesn't surprise me it's so high up the list and never dips down.
Feb 12, 2018 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
I feel like I’ve seen this thread before...
Feb 12, 2018 11:26 PM

Jan 2017
The only thing that the OP needs to know is this

Feb 12, 2018 11:27 PM

Jan 2017
Monster said:
Because people that actually watch through the first season, aka 200 episodes, end up loving it for multiple reasons.

Gintama also happen to get better by the sequels, so it doesn't surprise me it's so high up the list and never dips down.

I love it and this is my first time through and I'm only 25 eps in so far lol

Feb 12, 2018 11:32 PM

Aug 2016
It's blasphemous that Gintama hasn't completely conquered all of the top 10 positions
Feb 12, 2018 11:43 PM

Jun 2017
Oh and it should be at the very top by now but it is said that many FMAB fans rate Gintama low just to keep their fav show in the top place and I'm a big fan of FMA but man that shit is pathetic.

Feb 12, 2018 11:56 PM

Nov 2016
yep, probably just the huge fanbase, i too find it confusing. there are lots of episodes that wouldnt click with non japs.

still any episode i did understand i find them enjoyable.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Feb 12, 2018 11:59 PM
Jun 2017
PhysicsBook said:
Kuraokani said:

I mean you've got a point. Doubt the score would drop by far anyways. If you've watched Gintama you'll understand. Re:Zero has a pretty high score even though it's trash and has a load of users. Then again that's all my own opinion and people should be able to like what they want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You must be a big Gintama fan.

The chances of a series keeping a high score while also gaining a very large amount of new members is practically none. If every Gintama season had as much members as FMA:B, you'd seems drop in the scores. I can almost guarantee it

Edit - respect for the 10/10 on Code Geass though
Feb 13, 2018 12:00 AM

Nov 2016
How many times we have to tell you this old ma, IT'S A GOOD FUCKING COMEDY.

Except for those few non-funny eps.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Feb 13, 2018 12:04 AM

Aug 2012
Kuraokani said:

It has 400 thousand members with 135k ratings. That's a lot to take into consideration. It's still high up regardless of how many that has watched it.

Given it's over 300 episodes to digest, a lot of people won't watch past a few episodes. I am sure a lot of people would love Gintama if it was more mainstream, not necessarily worse rating wise.
Feb 13, 2018 12:04 AM

Aug 2016
I tried to start Gintama, found the 3-4 first episodes really really boring, even tho i have a wide sense of humor.

I think i should continue, cause people don't praise things for nothing. For fans, at what point it really gets "better" ? Like, if i find it still boring after 10ep it's just not for me, or it gets funnier after ep XX ?
Feb 13, 2018 12:07 AM

Sep 2015
Kuraokani said:
PhysicsBook said:

The chances of a series keeping a high score while also gaining a very large amount of new members is practically none. If every Gintama season had as much members as FMA:B, you'd seems drop in the scores. I can almost guarantee it

that doesn't even need to happen neccessarily. Look at what happened to Fall 2017 season's Gintama.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35843/Gintama__Porori-hen?q=porori

yeah, over 0,40 lower score than any other season of gintama. If it's not up to the usual quality that we saw in the first season, the score will also drop.

But yeah, I agree that Gintama's scores would drop a bit if all of the seasons were to have +1million members on them.
Feb 13, 2018 12:08 AM
Jun 2017
Monster said:
Kuraokani said:

It has 400 thousand members with 135k ratings. That's a lot to take into consideration. It's still high up regardless of how many that has watched it.

Given it's over 300 episodes to digest, a lot of people won't watch past a few episodes. I am sure a lot of people would love Gintama if it was more mainstream, not necessarily worse rating wise.
You're talking about the first season correct? I (and op) am talking about the series as a whole.

I'm not arguing about Gintama being in the top 5. I can respect that. What I'm arguing is Gintama dominating the top 30
Feb 13, 2018 12:08 AM

Sep 2015
Tiguespa said:
I tried to start Gintama, found the 3-4 first episodes really really boring, even tho i have a wide sense of humor.

I think i should continue, cause people don't praise things for nothing. For fans, at what point it really gets "better" ? Like, if i find it still boring after 10ep it's just not for me, or it gets funnier after ep XX ?
many have said that after the first serious arc it gets better (around 50 eps?) but I found it funny from the get-go so dunno about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 13, 2018 12:10 AM

Jul 2014
romagia said:
sequel effect
plus the first season is 200 eps long

no one who can watch the 200 episode season is going to dislike the newer ones or such

Although the last seasons are more battle shounen than comedy, so I don't know why those who liked the comedy are still rating the last seasons so high.
I tried to watch the 2017 season but it's so boring.
Feb 13, 2018 12:12 AM

Jul 2016
I’ve been laughing and crying a lot during the recent episodes.

The show has built up such an interesting Wolrd.

The series has built up into a war with multiple battles and climaxes to all the story threads.

No ridiculous power scaling.

The snags that Shonen anime hit such as filler and bad animation are not present in Gintama.

It’s just the best long Shonen anime.

Feb 13, 2018 12:12 AM

Aug 2012
Kuraokani said:
Monster said:

You're talking about the first season correct? I (and op) am talking about the series as a whole.

I'm not arguing about Gintama being in the top 5. I can respect that. What I'm arguing is Gintama dominating the top 30

I am talking about Gintama as a whole, hence why I referred it to 300 episodes.
Edit: I forgot to take the sequels into consideration and their members, my bad. Although my point still stands. The sequels are better than the first season.
Feb 13, 2018 12:16 AM

Dec 2014
J_LEE_C said:
Monster said:

I love it and this is my first time through and I'm only 25 eps in so far lol

IMO the first 30 ep of Gintama are mediocre at best, it only gets good after that, this is why so many people drop it and judge it harshly

But if you liked it from this early on then you're going for a very wild ride ;)
Just̰͙͔͈ͧͣͫͨ́ Mon͓̮͓ͧ̿̅̒͗iͨ̅̇ͤ̑̇͒̚҉̘̪ka͓͕͓̱̯͂͋́͗
Feb 13, 2018 12:18 AM

May 2015
Tiguespa said:

You're going to have to watch more than 3 or 4 episodes. You've got to take into consideration that the series is nearing 350 episodes. 3-4 is definitely not enough to judge it.

Feb 13, 2018 12:24 AM

May 2009
Is this a deja vu ? Because, I think I'd seen this thread before.
Feb 13, 2018 12:25 AM

May 2015
It is better than the other anime in the top 10, that's why,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2018 12:31 AM
Jun 2016
All genres in one anime but i very like is the comedy and action on that anime
Feb 13, 2018 12:44 AM

Oct 2012
Kittens-kun said:
Tiguespa said:

You're going to have to watch more than 3 or 4 episodes. You've got to take into consideration that the series is nearing 350 episodes. 3-4 is definitely not enough to judge it.

The show is incredibly character driven, You're not going to get a good sense of the show in just a few episodes due to that fact. The characters grow on you, and every once in a while an additional one gets added to the pile. Gintama has a TON of characters, A lot of running gags, while the show is largely episodic or broken down into smaller arcs, the characters do undergo growth throughout the franchise.
Feb 13, 2018 12:45 AM

Dec 2014
Salokannel2 said:
Kuraokani said:

that doesn't even need to happen neccessarily. Look at what happened to Fall 2017 season's Gintama.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35843/Gintama__Porori-hen?q=porori

yeah, over 0,40 lower score than any other season of gintama. If it's not up to the usual quality that we saw in the first season, the score will also drop.

But yeah, I agree that Gintama's scores would drop a bit if all of the seasons were to have +1million members on them.

Well said. In reality yah, we would see a bit of a drop but let me dream :') <3
Feb 13, 2018 12:45 AM

Apr 2016
For the same reason why Pingu was so popular back then.
Feb 13, 2018 1:03 AM

Mar 2017
Longer running series always tend to capture audience. But yeah I've heard it has awesome comedy so maybe that. :/
Feb 13, 2018 1:03 AM

Jul 2015
Out of curiosity, a question for Gintama fans: all the screenshots I ever saw of the show that were supposed to convince me were cringe teen sex jokes that wouldn't look out of place in American Pie (there's one in that thread). Is it what Gintama is about and is it the reason why it's popular?

Also, I'd be careful with statements like "it's the best comedy". It's probably the genre for wich that statement holds the less objective truth, considering how humor varies greatly from one person to another.
Feb 13, 2018 1:07 AM

Mar 2015
Who knows if it's good or not, but the size of it's fanbase should speak for itself.
Feb 13, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2014
Clebardman said:
Out of curiosity, a question for Gintama fans: all the screenshots I ever saw of the show that were supposed to convince me were cringe teen sex jokes that wouldn't look out of place in American Pie (there's one in that thread). Is it what Gintama is about and is it the reason why it's popular?

Also, I'd be careful with statements like "it's the best comedy". It's probably the genre for wich that statement holds the less objective truth, considering how humor varies greatly from one person to another.

Yeah it has a lot of toilet humor and dick jokes, it's that kind of humor. And running gags. More like Archer than American Pie though.
Feb 13, 2018 1:14 AM

Aug 2017
BECAUSE IT'S THE GIFT OF GOD AND HATERS SHOULD FUCK OFF
Feb 13, 2018 1:16 AM

Jan 2014
its just another one of the "Watch one ep per day/week shows" unless if you fell hard for the anime
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Feb 13, 2018 1:17 AM
Sep 2015
I'm on ep 75 right now and i wouldn't say it was perfect. The comedy wasn't that funny but it's main strength is the characters. Every character has their own backstories. And Benizakura-arc was awesome.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Feb 13, 2018 1:33 AM

Jan 2018
Where can you find an intense and serious battle but can still have some funny moment that'll make you laugh and clap like a retarded seal? Only in Gintama, maaan.
Feb 13, 2018 1:35 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:

Well, your first mistake was judging the show based on screenshots. It DOES have those types of jokes, I'm not going to deny that. But it also has smarter and more nuanced ones as well. Then there's the fact that while the majority of the show is comedy, it still has many serious/sad moments and even whole arcs like the current season.

It's a lot more complex than just toilet humor and gross-out jokes.

Feb 13, 2018 1:52 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:

While there are plenty of that type of jokes Monty Python, The Simpsons and Family Guy might be better comparisons overall.

The reason of its popularity in the western community is probably given by being one of the better battle shounens out there, the most popular type of show. Not only makes parodies of the genre and some specific anime like One Punch Man (mostly anime or manga the author is a fan of) but unlike OPM, Gintama is an engaging battle shounen on its own that could very well be a show without the comedy, I'd compare it with One Piece where the fights are a lot about being emotionally powerful and looking very kewl.

zalFeb 13, 2018 2:02 AM
Feb 13, 2018 3:28 AM

Mar 2015
People like to say that it's the sequel effect but I call bullshit on that. Gintama Porori-hen was the worst season so far and it's the lowest rated on the site. Other Gintama seasons are at the top for a reason. They are that good. No amount of sequel effect would help them have the score over 9 if they weren't as good or better than the original season.
Feb 13, 2018 3:43 AM

Sep 2017
becaos boting and boting is baed w;e need to stope boteing wtf
Edward Elric > your waifu

Feb 13, 2018 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i havent seen it my self so i have no opinion on if its good or not

but its probably due to how popular it is if some thing is really popular its going to have a big fan base and all the fans are going to give it high scores
Feb 13, 2018 3:59 AM

Aug 2012
Shadow_Link said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i havent seen it my self so i have no opinion on if its good or not

but its probably due to how popular it is if some thing is really popular its going to have a big fan base and all the fans are going to give it high scores

Just because something is popular, doesn't necessarily mean it should have a high rating by default. Look at SAO for instance.

People watch and enjoy it, get connected to the characters and the Gintama universe by the sheer amount of episodes there are.

Most people that complain about Gintama has never truly indulged themselves into the series. The difference between someone that dislike it and love it is huge, as both parties are hundreds of episodes apart at judging it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Rachiba »»
1 minute ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

22 by Jonas-K »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
12 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
53 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.