Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2018 12:23 PM

Nov 2009
That was a massive improvement over the 2nd episode which I found way too dry with the glasses girl, this one really got to me by the end so Success!
Jan 27, 2018 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know... I still don't like Violet 'cause she's flat and I'd rather have more scenes with Claudia, Benedict and Cattleya (also, more flashbacks would be nice). Art-style is my favorite thing right now, I don't pay that much attention to OST... and the story is interesting but I don't like the way it's told.
Overall it's a 6/7 right now.
removed-userJan 27, 2018 12:52 PM
Jan 27, 2018 2:07 PM

Feb 2008
Violet finally managed to write a letter.

As she deciphered the feelings of another person, she took a step closer to figuring out her own. Luculia's help was truly indispensable (and vice versa).

It was another heart-warming episode.
Jan 27, 2018 2:46 PM

Jan 2014
Proud of Violet. Am proud papa :^)

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 27, 2018 3:07 PM

Feb 2013
Still pretty boring. Nice soundtrack at least... it sets the atmosphere quite well.
Violet learned to translate crying rambling into a sentence!
Jan 27, 2018 4:56 PM

Oct 2015
Violet is beggining to grow emotions bit by bit, but I wished they read the contents of the letter to set a mood.

I think this anime is alright but not great though, but the animation is still mind blowing though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 27, 2018 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
Very solid episode with plenty of emotions to go around.

I loved the Opening Song, but did not like the voice of the Ending Song. Ill be skipping that from now on, that voice will never grow on me.
"I hate to lose more than I like to win, the only reason I like to win is so I do not have to lose." - Manti Teo
Jan 27, 2018 7:28 PM
Jan 2018
Really like this episode. Nice introduction to new character. We learn more on how becoming a doll. Good story and character growth. Strong supporting character. Teared up at the end.
Jan 27, 2018 8:29 PM

Mar 2016
Lulucia is a sweet heart
wow
Jan 27, 2018 10:44 PM

Apr 2009
Major_Gilbert said:
So far, maybe aside from the first episode, the anime has gone its own way. I expected this to some extent, but with the number of episodes left this is not the time to leave the crucial plot behind. I know that this is to fill what the novel didn't concentrate on (Violet's path towards becoming an Auto-memories doll) but now they just don't have enough episodes to cover all of her adventures. Well they may be able to get rid of one which didn't look that important to me, but still, if in the next episode they don't start with her adventure it's going to get pretty worrying. Her adventures are the main part of the story and probably the most important.

I really wanted to see Violet's first adventure...

Also Luculia was a good character compared to Erica and Iris imo.

Nice OP btw.

maybe it will get a second season.

Toshiya0 said:
More fillers...

Is the novel really short and they don't have enough materials or is Kyoani going for an anime original?

whole point of the anime is to explain her beginning and what the LN missed out its not filler.

Jan 28, 2018 12:26 AM
Dec 2017
So far the animation quality is the only perfect thing. This episode was good, but since it's gonna be a 14 ep. long series, there shouldn't be too many side characters. Instead, less is better with more development. Luculia was lovable though. Also the pacing is rather slow.
Jan 28, 2018 1:24 AM

Feb 2014
Afttermath of a war is really something that has different perspection throughout everyone. It really hurts to see those feelings of being not able to do things when you could do if you were there. An amazing storytelling in this episode which really shows that its not just about those fancy mesmerizing words that are worth but the words that come through the feel of your heart.

A man is entranced by the actions of a woman while the woman is entranced by his words.

Truly an amazing show that would both go down in history of anime as the best visuals and the best expressive storyline.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 28, 2018 2:34 AM

Sep 2016
It's rather paltry to let Violet pass just from one letter (which was quite literally what Luculia said anyway) without addressing her main problem of not understanding emotional expressions.

Nice and poignant episode, but that graduation didn't make sense.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Jan 28, 2018 4:08 AM

May 2009
Honestly I have found my favorite character design.. like.. the most beautiful ever.

Luculia <3<3

on topic:
Lovely episode. I personally loved this one the best. I love Luculia. lol.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jan 28, 2018 11:37 AM
Dec 2017
xpforever said:
So far the animation quality is the only perfect thing. This episode was good, but since it's gonna be a 14 ep. long series, there shouldn't be too many side characters. Instead, less is better with more development. Luculia was lovable though. Also the pacing is rather slow.
i felt this ep was rushed af
Jan 28, 2018 12:55 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, Honestly quite a stunning episode, got shivers at the end.
To be honest, didn't really enjoy the first episode but episode 2 and 3 have really pieced the show together for me and has a really beautiful feeling to it.
Jan 28, 2018 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
Well at least she can actually right a letter properly now.
Jan 28, 2018 2:54 PM

May 2015
Wow Saber....I mean Violet wrote sorf of proper letter. She is evolving.

Typical drama episode, but it is always working on my feelings.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 28, 2018 3:12 PM

Dec 2015
Oh, so not-Saber-at-all wrote two lines of text and, du-dum, Luculia's brother immediately stops being a depressed alcoholic and everything's love and rainbows? xP

Also, about what "deciphering people's feelings" are we talking about here? Luculia said that she's glad her brother's alive, Violet wrote that Luculia's glad her brother's alive - how the hell is that different from that time when she wrote literally what that one women said?
Jan 28, 2018 4:21 PM
Jan 2015
My favorite episode so far. Luculia is (was?) a very sweet and nicely-done character. The complexity of having her brother return from the war without her parents was good, and her relationship with her brother and the tension there was done very well. The resolution was maybe a little to neat and tidy, but this doesn't bother me in a show where I expect strong strains of idealism.

I loved loved loved the part right before Violet writes Luculia's letter. She goes to pull off her gloves with her teeth as usual but stops, and instead takes off the glove with her other hand (as you'd imagine a "normal" or "civilized" person would). That was hype, and I knew a bomb-ass tegami was to follow.

I was not expecting the letter to be so short, but that made it quite potent.

Wondering about what Cattleya and Benedict were talking about when they were sitting and having tea together after the Letter scene. Violet says "weren't you arguing" and they jump back into it, so I'm wondering where the momentary calm came from.

Congrats to Violet for gradimatating doll school. The scene with Luculia helping her brother up the stairs was a super nice contrast to their childhood.

Opening theme was bland, boring, doesn't really get the tone right.

Art was on point as always.
Jan 28, 2018 5:31 PM

Nov 2014
excellent episode as always

Jan 28, 2018 6:06 PM
Jun 2017
Really liked this episode, and i'm enjoying the series so far.

Can't understand why all the hate though
Jan 29, 2018 3:28 AM

Mar 2014
Luculia is a sweet girl. I really liked this episode, it's cool to see Violet slowly warming up to humans' emotionality. And the drama wasn't bad either. The OP is really good and fitting.
Jan 29, 2018 4:25 AM

Jan 2018
Please tell me Luculia will be a recurring character in this series.
Jan 29, 2018 7:09 AM
May 2017
Best episode so far but that’s not saying much. During the emotional climax I felt like Alphonse from fma
Jan 29, 2018 7:18 AM
May 2017
BlackstarFallen said:
Beautiful episode. Violet made a friend during training school and was able to write a letter for her at the end. I'm liking the side characters more than Violet tbh.
really?! It’s not like violet is a super interesting and unique character who’s brimming with a mysterious vibe. (Sarcasm; she sucks)
Jan 29, 2018 7:40 AM

Apr 2016
TurboAutist said:
Please tell me Luculia will be a recurring character in this series.

Even the novel readers won't know since she was not originally in the novel.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 29, 2018 8:52 AM

Jul 2013
I'm starting to like this show... How Violet isn't one of the graduating students at first is nicely done. Glad that she graduated in the end. Scenes with Luculia's brother feels so emotional for me since I can relate to some of their circumstances.
Jan 29, 2018 10:36 AM

Sep 2017
SalmonSandwich said:
Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...

Agreed... I felt she needed to write couple of letters more. (Or at least imply that she did.) Violet needs to fail and struggle more to sort of understand herself and others more. The writing has had faults that I started noticing. Episode 2 where they didn't proofread the letter leading to the conflict and this episode with Violet passing after one good letter (which felt like a fluke even though it did come from her struggling to squeeze out genuine understanding and empathy.)

Guess what it is really fluke, people think that she is understanding human emotions, but tbh she hasn't yet....the letter is just simple explanation of what Lucia thinks but for us as humans it means a lot, so violet hasn't made progress yet, thats what I think...:)

and the op is really awesome especially when the flute part begins, it is sooo pleasing that i feel like im in a trance
AnkithadamJan 29, 2018 10:41 AM
Jan 29, 2018 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
I've watched this episode many times now. Still makes me cry.
Hate Keeps me warm
Jan 29, 2018 6:45 PM

Nov 2014
Honestly this was probably the best episode so far, it's finally starting to move somewhere. Luculia seems like a nice character, hopefully we'll see a little more of her?

In any case, I'm pretty satisfied with the way the episode ended. Violet writing the letter on behalf of Luculia was done in a way that managed to carry a lot emotions, yet retained the short and direct manner that Violet tends to be. Just a slight move away from the report style writing, Violet manages to achieve a short and sweet letter that packs lots of emotion.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 29, 2018 11:09 PM

Mar 2017
vegeta8639 said:
Fantastic episode. I wasn't too hyped about this anime at first but the more people hate on it for retarded reasons, the more I am pushed towards appreciating the good qualities and liking it even more.
Best anime of 2018 so far.

Thank you. Thank you my man.
Jan 29, 2018 11:15 PM

Mar 2017
kirakiii said:
xpforever said:
i felt this ep was rushed af

Meanwhile other people complain that the first 2 eps are slow...
????????
Jan 29, 2018 11:16 PM

Mar 2017
Gwathgor said:
Oh, so not-Saber-at-all wrote two lines of text and, du-dum, Luculia's brother immediately stops being a depressed alcoholic and everything's love and rainbows? xP

Also, about what "deciphering people's feelings" are we talking about here? Luculia said that she's glad her brother's alive, Violet wrote that Luculia's glad her brother's alive - how the hell is that different from that time when she wrote literally what that one women said?

Psss you don't get it. You don't.
Jan 30, 2018 12:12 AM

Dec 2014
Ok that was an emotional episode glad to see violet trying towards the same direction…. Glad for her
Jan 30, 2018 1:47 AM
Jan 2018
Twiist said:
Gwathgor said:

The reason the letter was not some unique masterpiece that painted a vivid image of the emotions it was meant to convey, is because its goal was to demonstrate how effective Violets way of thinking can be at relaying someone's feelings. "Sometimes, it only takes a sentence or two to express one's feelings". The reality is, grand gestures are not the only way to show someone how you feel. Sometimes the little things have the most impact. All Luculia's brother needed was to read a few sentences from the one person he has left, telling him that she does not blame him for their parents death and that she is happy to still have him. I am not saying that Violet planned for the letter to elicit the reaction it did, but she still understood what Luculia needed to say to her brother. Not to mention the fact that she went out of her way to deliver the letter her self since Luculia was not strong enough to do it herself. That, in many ways, shows us that Violet is growing as a person.
Jan 30, 2018 2:08 AM
Sep 2016
Twiist said:
Gwathgor said:

Nah...that's someone who got it with a clear head
(Since music and visuals seems to be all people care about it's not surprising the actual writing of what's going on gets a pass for others...If another anime does that without these visuals,,,oh boy)
1.1.Six
Jan 30, 2018 3:26 AM

Dec 2015
Anerinus said:
The reason the letter was not some unique masterpiece that painted a vivid image of the emotions it was meant to convey, is because its goal was to demonstrate how effective Violets way of thinking can be at relaying someone's feelings. "Sometimes, it only takes a sentence or two to express one's feelings". The reality is, grand gestures are not the only way to show someone how you feel. Sometimes the little things have the most impact. All Luculia's brother needed was to read a few sentences from the one person he has left, telling him that she does not blame him for their parents death and that she is happy to still have him.

Actually I'm not questioning the letter's lenght here (although I see it may seem that way). I'd find it equally unbelievable if the letter was two pages long. Yes, short sentences may and often are the most impactful, yes, the letter may had some effect on Luculia's brother, but I don't believe it would be enough to get him out of the state he was shown to be in and fix everything just like that.

I am not saying that Violet planned for the letter to elicit the reaction it did, but she still understood what Luculia needed to say to her brother.

Well, it would be kinda difficult not to understand, since Luculia clearly said it.

Not to mention the fact that she went out of her way to deliver the letter her self since Luculia was not strong enough to do it herself.

Yes, here I agree. It would be way better if they focused more on this aspect - Luculia didn't know how to talk to her brother and didn't have courage to do it, so Violet delivering the letter actually helped her in conveying feelings. This could have been the proof that even without passing the course Violet is suited to work in her dream job, or, if she really had to pass it, this could have been presented as the reason.
But instead she gets praised for writing down something Luculia literally told her, as if she just guessed her deepest hidden feelings. Violet Evergarden, great Doll capable of deciphering all your feelings (as long as you spell them out for her) ;p
Jan 30, 2018 4:51 AM
Sep 2017
I can already see that this is already a contender for best animation in 2018 ❤

Jan 30, 2018 6:10 AM

Aug 2016
Oh man. Such a beautiful episode. I'm really glad Violet is starting to understand how to ghostwrite and that Luculia's big brother is once again with her.

AHH I'm in tears.

Set by SenpieX
Jan 30, 2018 6:42 AM
Jan 2018
Gwathgor said:
But instead she gets praised for writing down something Luculia literally told her, as if she just guessed her deepest hidden feelings. Violet Evergarden, great Doll capable of deciphering all your feelings (as long as you spell them out for her) ;p
In a way this is a very valid point. I can agree with you on the fact that it was not the best route to have her pass the class after 1 good letter. I actually would have enjoyed seeing her continue to grow as a Doll without the pin of approval and eventually pass the class. Even so, I do not see it as a major flaw that damages the entire series. Without passing the class, she most likely wouldn't be able to continue her work as a Doll. Yes, she would keep her job as a Doll no matter what, but she wouldn't get any clients without that pin of approval. She will more than likely piss off a few people with the way she works, but she will be able to continue her journey.
Jan 30, 2018 6:15 PM
Jan 2018
Is Gilbert dead or alive? honestly I think they're leading us on to believe that he is indeed dead. 🤔
Most of the flash backs are of him bleeding out so like, I'm guessing he's dead.
Jan 30, 2018 6:31 PM

Aug 2013
Bluntly said:
Is Gilbert dead or alive? honestly I think they're leading us on to believe that he is indeed dead. 🤔
Most of the flash backs are of him bleeding out so like, I'm guessing he's dead.

Jan 30, 2018 8:11 PM

Jul 2014
Great episode, and nice how Violet begins to understand feelings and making friends :)

Love the OP btw
Jan 30, 2018 10:51 PM

Jul 2013
Average episode with a little bit of development for violet. still great animation quality
Jan 31, 2018 2:25 AM
Jul 2010
Kirie-san said:
Eanraig said:

As far as I know they only adapted the first volume, most light novel adaptations do roughly 3 or 4 volumes, Kyoani light novels just don't have that many that's usually why you see a lot of anime original episodes/characters in their shows. Hibike S1(not theirs, but only adapted the first volume) was like 50% original, compare it to Maidragon, a manga not owned by them and with lots of material to adapt, was 20%~ original or so. Hibike S2 was an adaptation of volume's 2 and 3 and only 10%~ was original content.

I've also been hearing that they're planning to make movies out of this series, so that's probably why they're making so many 'filler' episodes.

The novel is short according to me but it has 13 chapters which could have been easily adapted this way: 1 episode = 1 chapter (eventually two episodes for the last chapter of the second volume).
They do have material, it's just that the director s****. Kyoukai no Kanata was one of the worst Kyo Ani anime I've seen and I was afraid for Violet Evergarden anime adaptation when I saw his name. Really, what's wrong with this kind of directors who decide to change things while the source material is good???

You mean that the anime will only adapt the first volume, then there'll be a new season for the second volume?
Maybe they'll do a one-cour anime, then a recap movie and eventually a sequel if they didn't cover the whole novel in the anime... as for Kyoukai no Kanata. What a waste while the anime could have been really good considering the novel...

Oh my god. Is it the same director that did Kyoukai no Kanata? Now i'm really getting worried...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2018 2:49 AM

Oct 2008
OP was great by TRUE as well as visuals!
Violet has taken her first step into an exemplar Auto Memoirs Doll.
She's improving slowly, still don't get the hype.
but OST is outstanding.
4/5.

Jan 31, 2018 7:32 AM

Jan 2012
beatiful landscape, but the story is kinda boring...
Jan 31, 2018 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
This episode really felt like a much better than the previous ones.
Really enjoyed this new girl Luculia, hope she appears more and interacts more with Violet, because she really needs it. I mean the interaction with other people.
Glad that she is improving, slowly but improving.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 31, 2018 1:15 PM

Jan 2016

Lelouch0202 said:
Definitely the best episode till date.

I took a real liking to Luculia, I hope she's a recurring character.

The part where Violet gives Luculia's brother her ghostwritten letter made me tear up, that was a really well done scene.

Violet is finally beginning to understand the human heart. :)

The final scene with Luculia helping her brother back to place with the scenic view was great and congratulations to Violet for graduating.
It's often the simplest and most straightforward words that have the most powerful resonance within people. :)

Pretty much everything I was going to say about this episode ^, haha.

This episode probably saved the anime for me. There are still flaws, of course, but this episode actually connected to me on a more emotional level than any other episode so far. I only hope for more just like this!
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.