Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 5, 2018 1:26 AM

Jul 2015

It may be stupid, but that's what ruined the #2 anime for me.

Don't get me wrong, it was fucking beautiful. But beauty isn't everything. Ask any 40 year-old ex-homecoming queen.
PsychoticDaveJan 5, 2018 10:30 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 5, 2018 3:26 AM

Aug 2013
It's not a plothole at all. I wouldn't spot it for sure in this situation. Not mentioning about complete new environment shock, new body shock etc. Most phones don't even show year by default.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 5, 2018 5:12 AM

Jul 2015
rsc-pl said:
It's not a plothole at all. I wouldn't spot it for sure in this situation. Not mentioning about complete new environment shock, new body shock etc. Most phones don't even show year by default.

It kind of is a plothole. You'd get over the shock after the first like, four times max. A phone showing what year it is by default doesn't matter when they keep notes on what appears to be a mobile calendar which I guarantee all show the year. But I was mainly talking about a work schedule.
There would also be discrepancies between days.
It could be Monday for her, but years later be a Thursday. So how would it be explained that one day it's Monday and the next it's Thursday then you switch back and it's Wednesday? For example, three years ago it was Monday.
This could be tossed aside as "It's not a full three years and just happens to land on the same weekday every time." but that honestly makes the movie worse to me.
This could have been solved by having them realize themselves that they were time traveling before it was too late. She could have noticed her schoolwork dated wrong and questioned him or he could have been fired for missing work because she thought it was Monday and that he was off that day.

Speaking of the phone, are there really no technological advances for mobile devices after all that time? That's just me being nit-picky though.
PsychoticDaveJan 5, 2018 5:25 AM
Jan 5, 2018 9:11 AM

May 2017
I'm not sure I would've noticed it even after the inital shock. When you grade test do you really have to mention the year? And do phone calendars always show the year by default?

These plot holes can easily be dismissed. It's possible to go through this process without realizing they're in two different years.
Jan 5, 2018 10:01 AM

Sep 2014
I could easily miss this detail if that situation occurred to me. I'm thrown in a completely new environment for a short period of time. This is probably the most confusing experience you can ever have, so I don't expect to be aware of such minor detail. Of all the things I wouldn't understand, the date would probably be one of the less important thing I would pay attention for. Like seriously, I have better thing to do and to figure out instead of just looking at my phone.
Jan 5, 2018 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
I could easily miss this detail if that situation occurred to me. I'm thrown in a completely new environment for a short period of time. This is probably the most confusing experience you can ever have, so I don't expect to be aware of such minor detail. Of all the things I wouldn't understand, the date would probably be one of the less important thing I would pay attention for. Like seriously, I have better thing to do and to figure out instead of just looking at my phone.

What about my other point about the difference in days? Three years ago today was a Monday rather than a Friday. How do they get away with not ever noticing their days aren't what they're supposed to be when they switch?

To further elaborate on this; say It's Monday. I travel three years forwards. It is now Friday. I go back to my time the next day, and it is now Wednesday because I spent a day else where. Now it's Saturday the next day if I switch again and Thursday once I get back. Seeing as this would literally happen every time, it's practically impossible to never notice.
drizzy999 said:
I'm not sure I would've noticed it even after the inital shock. When you grade test do you really have to mention the year? And do phone calendars always show the year by default?

These plot holes can easily be dismissed. It's possible to go through this process without realizing they're in two different years.

Same to you.
PsychoticDaveJan 5, 2018 10:32 AM
Jan 5, 2018 10:33 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

What about my other point about the difference in days? Three years ago today was a Monday rather than a Friday. How do they get away with not ever noticing their days aren't what they're supposed to be when they switch.

To further elaborate on this, say It's Monday. I travel three years forwards. It is now Friday. I go back to my time the next day, and it is now Wednesday because I spent a day else where. Now it's Saturday the next day if I switch again and Thursday once I get back. Seeing as this would literally happen every time, it's practically impossible to never notice.

I wasn't denying they wouldn't notice. It's just that with all the bizarre thing happening, I don't feel like worrying about a simple date that seems off. Plus, when you're truly in love, you don't believe that there's something that would stop you two.
Jan 5, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

What about my other point about the difference in days? Three years ago today was a Monday rather than a Friday. How do they get away with not ever noticing their days aren't what they're supposed to be when they switch.

To further elaborate on this, say It's Monday. I travel three years forwards. It is now Friday. I go back to my time the next day, and it is now Wednesday because I spent a day else where. Now it's Saturday the next day if I switch again and Thursday once I get back. Seeing as this would literally happen every time, it's practically impossible to never notice.

I wasn't denying they wouldn't notice. It's just that with all the bizarre thing happening, I don't feel like worrying about a simple date that seems off. Plus, when you're truly in love, you don't believe that there's something that would stop you two.

It's not a simple date that seems off. It's literally flip flopping different weekdays because of time travel. There's nothing simple about that.
Science and logic trump love. If I shoot a gun towards you, will your love stop the bullet, or will it have no effect on the mass, velocity, momentum, etc of the bullet and still hit you?
Sure, they can be so ignorant they don't notice such a huge thing, but that truly makes the movie even worse if that's the only defense for this plothole.
PsychoticDaveJan 5, 2018 10:43 AM
Jan 5, 2018 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
As I said in the episode discussion thread too, it's a plothole, the movie makes up a lot of things as it progresses but that was one of the major ones. Even if you don't check the dates, you will notice which day it is since it's not a repeating calender so there should be a major doubt in your mind(for the order of the days being jumbled up) . So yeah you have to assume he is a total thickhead who despite going to school, doesn't know what's the routine and only thinking about love. But yeah it has feels so alright.
Jan 5, 2018 10:43 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

Science and logic trump love. If I shoot a gun towards you, will your love stop the bullet, or will it have no effect on the mass, velocity, momentum, etc of the bullet and still hit you?
Sure, they can be so ignorant they don't notice such a huge thing, but that truly makes the movie even worse if that's the only defense for this plothole.

Because it's technically not a plot holes since the corresponding date wasn't specifically integrated to the plot. Thus it's not impossible for the characters to simply just miss out this date difference.
Jan 5, 2018 10:46 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

Because it's technically not a plot holes since the corresponding date wasn't specifically integrated to the plot. Thus it's not impossible for the characters to simply just miss out this date difference.

Except it is a plothole. In every way, shape, & form. I don't remember what subject learning how a calendar works was, but I know I learned it in elementary school.
Jan 5, 2018 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

It's not a simple date difference, it's a whole Sunday turning Friday realization. If I wake up tomorrow and see it's Monday instead of a holiday, ofc going by the movie logic I won't realize anything at all.
Jan 5, 2018 10:53 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

Except it is a plothole. In every way, shape, & form. I don't remember what subject learning how a calendar works was, but I know I learned it in elementary school.

You pretend that there is a plot hole because you pretend that something off screen actually occurred such as them noticing there was a years gap. While the movie clearly implied that they didn't notice.
Jan 5, 2018 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

You pretend that there is a plot hole because you pretend that something off screen actually occurred such as them noticing there was a years gap. While the movie clearly implied that they didn't notice.

So if the characters in the anime don't acknowledge the plothole, it's not a plothole? That's actually the exact opposite of how that works.
Jan 5, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2014
Frostbytes said:
Hrybami said:

It's not a simple date difference, it's a whole Sunday turning Friday realization. If I wake up tomorrow and see it's Monday instead of a holiday, ofc going by the movie logic I won't realize anything at all.

There was something more shocking happening than just a date change, that's why it's not of so much importance, like not at all. The date would probably be one of my least worries in this situation.
Jan 5, 2018 10:57 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

So if the characters in the anime don't acknowledge the plothole, it's not a plothole? That's actually the exact opposite of how that works.

Are you doing this on purpose? It can't be a plothole because the movie never coincided the date to begin with.
Jan 5, 2018 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
Frostbytes said:

There was something more shocking happening than just a date change, that's why it's not of so much importance, like not at all. The date would probably be one of my least worries in this situation.

It's not a worry, a simple realization if you wake up, there is a big difference between a Sunday and a Friday. When they can scribble on the body and chat like that, I am sure that would be a really big worry, lol.
Jan 5, 2018 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

Are you doing this on purpose? It can't be a plothole because the movie never coincided the date to begin with.

But it did specify a three year gap. The movie did give us that plothole. This plothole is a fact using only information given from the movie and knowledge of how a calendar works. It's such an obvious plothole.
Jan 5, 2018 11:08 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

But it did specify a three year gap. The movie did give us that plothole. This plothole is a fact using only information given from the movie and knowledge of how a calendar works. It's such an obvious plothole.

How is this a plothole if the date shown in the movie are accurate then? The characters didn't realized the date change presented in the movie.

It would have been a plot hole if the characters actually realized the date change or if the movie made a mistake and actually coincide the date. But it's neither, so I don't see where you found your plothole.
Jan 5, 2018 11:09 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

How is this a plothole if the date shown in the movie are accurate then? The characters didn't realized the date change presented in the movie.

It would have been a plot hole if the characters actually realized the date change or if the movie made a mistake and actually coincide the date. But it's neither, so I don't see where you found your plothole.

You're literally telling me a plothole can't exist unless the main characters acknowledge it. Are you seriously being this naive or are you trolling?
Jan 5, 2018 11:09 AM

Sep 2014
Frostbytes said:
Hrybami said:

It's not a worry, a simple realization if you wake up, there is a big difference between a Sunday and a Friday. When they can scribble on the body and chat like that, I am sure that would be a really big worry, lol.

I'm not so sure, but it's true that they must be some kind of idiot for not noticing this at all, but given the situation I somewhat understand.
Jan 5, 2018 11:17 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

You're literally telling me a plothole can't exist unless the main characters acknowledge it. Are you seriously being this naive or are you trolling?

First of all. You pretend that there is a plothole, so I don't see how a fictional character should acknowledge a plothole that you made up yourself. Secondly, you're literally saying that the date change is the plothole. Like how at all? The movie followed this logic until the end while also making sure that the characters didn't realize it until one point in the story. Where is the plothole? Seriously
Jan 5, 2018 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

First of all. You pretend that there is a plothole, so I don't see how a fictional character should acknowledge a plothole that you made up yourself. Secondly, you're literally saying that the date change is the plothole. Like how at all? The movie followed this logic until the end while also making sure that the characters didn't realize it until one point in the story. Where is the plothole? Seriously

I live in 2018. You live in 2015.
It is Monday for me. It is Friday for you.
I switch bodies with you.
Now it is Friday for me and Monday for you.
We switch back the next day.
Now it is Tuesday for me and Saturday for you.

January 5th, 2018 is a Monday. January 5th, 2015 is a Friday.
This is a three year difference, exactly like the anime.
Maybe it's not exactly a year in the movie, but it would still leave a gap in the weekdays. Them noticing it or not is irrelevant to this simple math that caused this plothole.
Jan 5, 2018 11:30 AM

Sep 2014
PsychoticDave said:
Hrybami said:

Maybe it's not exactly a year in the movie, but it would still leave a gap in the weekdays. Them noticing it or not is irrelevant to this simple math that caused this plothole.

Are you some new sort of genius? I don't know how to react to this.

It feels like you're saying there's a 3 years gap so it must be a plot hole because there is a 3 years gap.

I seriously don't know how to react to this...
Jan 5, 2018 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
Hrybami said:
PsychoticDave said:

Are you some new sort of genius? I don't know how to react to this.

It feels like you're saying there's a 3 years gap so it must be a plot hole because there is a 3 years gap.

I seriously don't know how to react to this...

Okay, you had fun trolling but now it's completely obvious and I'm done feeding you. I explained it as though you were five (ironically the age I was when I learned how a calendar works) and you still act as though you don't understand.
Jan 7, 2018 5:18 PM

Dec 2012
Remember how the film depicts Taki going through the diaries Mitsuha wrote on his phone...only for him to see they actually weren't there?

I just figure that the powers that allowed them to body-swap, meet across time at twilight, and eventually draw them together in present-day was also responsible for blurring that part of their memories to not fixate on stuff like dates, news, technology, subjects taught in class, etc.

Likewise, there's probably no doubt Taki normally knew about what happened in Itomori, but that part of his mind just became blurred during the switching experience.

At the end of the day, it's a type of movie that'll undoubtedly have plot holes.
Jan 8, 2018 8:49 PM
Dec 2015
-kV- said:

I just figure that the powers that allowed them to body-swap, meet across time at twilight, and eventually draw them together in present-day was also responsible for blurring that part of their memories to not fixate on stuff like dates, news, technology, subjects taught in class, etc.

Basically this. Even if they noticed the day of the week, once they woke up, usually,they could hardly remember the events that took place, let alone the day of the week it was when they were in the other's body. Plus, the comet was visible in October I think, and I don't know how long they switched before then, but it was well into the year. While people with attention to detail would see the year and be thrown off, it's pretty easy to ignore the year, especially well into the year. Around New Year, people pay attention, but apart from that, it typically fades into the background.
It still is on the line of plot hole, but I think that focusing on this little detail takes away from what the author was trying to convey. Willing suspension of disbelief is necessary in every work of fiction. But I understand if it's just something that bugs you; it makes sense why it would. ^^"
Jan 8, 2018 9:42 PM

Sep 2016
Yea true, this might have been a plot hole, but who cares? It's not like this made the movie unenjoyable. People should just ignore minor flaws and enjoy, instead of insisting that they hate something every time they see something illogical.
D:

Check out my article btw (Thanks Shymander!)
Jan 9, 2018 2:02 PM
Nov 2012
The guy didn't even know the name of the village and you worry about that?x)
Jan 9, 2018 2:51 PM

Jul 2015
Minizav said:
The guy didn't even know the name of the village and you worry about that?x)

He knew the name while they were switching. He only forgot when they stopped switching.
Jan 9, 2018 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm kind of upset I didn't notice this. Knowing it now doesn't really ruin the movie for me, because it was still enjoyable, but it does drop it quite a lot. Maybe for some you wouldn't be writing down the year, but whenever I date something (which is like, all the time), I almost always include a year.
Jan 23, 2018 10:24 PM

Jun 2011
PsychoticDave said:
What about my other point about the difference in days? Three years ago today was a Monday rather than a Friday. How do they get away with not ever noticing their days aren't what they're supposed to be when they switch?

To further elaborate on this; say It's Monday. I travel three years forwards. It is now Friday. I go back to my time the next day, and it is now Wednesday because I spent a day else where. Now it's Saturday the next day if I switch again and Thursday once I get back. Seeing as this would literally happen every time, it's practically impossible to never notice.

It did mess up their sense of the day though. It happened once really obviously in the movie.

On the day Mistuha's family went hiking to the underworld place, Taki as Mitsuha mistakenly woke up and got into school uniform despite it being a day off. He was confused and disoriented why this was. This is because in his time it would have been a weekday.
If they only switch randomly a few days a week (it doesn't happen every other day, they state in the movie that it's random, it would've been easier to catch if it had a regular pattern like that), I don't think that it would happen often enough to be noticeable or a problem when they're trying to figure so much else out (and struggle to remember that they're switching to begin with).
Jan 27, 2018 8:11 AM

Nov 2016
im usually nit picky on plotholes in a non comedy media, but i completely missed this. didnt notice the friday turning to monday thing. guess i enjoyed it enough not to notice.

glad i didnt noticed it during the movie though.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 27, 2018 8:20 AM

Oct 2015
FONZACUS said:
im usually nit picky on plotholes in a non comedy media, but i completely missed this. didnt notice the friday turning to monday thing. guess i enjoyed it enough not to notice.

they switch places randomly so they might've not noticed since weekdays = school weekends = no school. They don't really do any routines that would say otherwise, the anime showed Mitsuha (Taki) dressed up for school in a weekend. So it's not particularly a plothole unless they switch bodies regularly which they obviously will notice
Jan 27, 2018 8:29 AM

Jul 2015
EGOIST said:
FONZACUS said:

they switch places randomly so they might've not noticed since weekdays = school weekends = no school. They don't really do any routines that would say otherwise, the anime showed Mitsuha (Taki) dressed up for school in a weekend. So it's not particularly a plothole unless they switch bodies regularly which they obviously will notice

The point is that anyone in this situation would pay more attention to every detail of it. It's crazy magic shit.
Retarded MCs don't excuse a lazily written plot.
They even made notes for each other and still never noticed a damn thing.
Jan 28, 2018 12:50 AM
Feb 2017
I remember watching a video where Shinkai talked about how the film didn't seem finished and he even pointed out how he had some plot holes in the story. I enjoyed the movie but I kinda ignored the plot hole to not ruin my experience. Someone may have pointed this out earlier but I'm really tired
Jan 30, 2018 9:03 AM
May 2014
PsychoticDave said:
EGOIST said:

The point is that anyone in this situation would pay more attention to every detail of it. It's crazy magic shit.
Retarded MCs don't excuse a lazily written plot.
They even made notes for each other and still never noticed a damn thing.
It’s the exact opposite. Waking up in someone else’s body randomly out of nowhere at any possible day? There’s a lot more to be concerned about then a date. For them, they’re moreso concerned about not messing anything up for the other person rather than trying to figure out why exactly such a thing is happening.

At the end of the day, it can be seen as a logic error but they eventually find out so it’s not really a plot error because all it leads to is a more dramatic twist. A major theme of this film is feeling like there is something that has been missing that seems obvious so yeah.
Jan 30, 2018 9:07 AM

Oct 2015
My point exactly. How can they not have notice the date in their school. I mean, you have attendance right? And usually Japanese people have this "Cleaner" schedule as to who do what. And yet, how can not know the year. News? They used the calendar, phones etc.

Though, I think the movie is shit anyway.

And no, this isn't easily dismissable. The twist rided on this...

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Jan 30, 2018 9:49 AM

Oct 2015
I don't know it seems to me you're just nitpicking to find an excuse to say you didn't enjoy the movie if your only reason for disliking is this.
Jan 30, 2018 12:14 PM

Nov 2011
Orhunaa said:
I don't know it seems to me you're just nitpicking to find an excuse to say you didn't enjoy the movie if your only reason for disliking is this.

You sound butthurt that someone else didnt enjoy the film as much as you.
Jan 30, 2018 12:59 PM

Oct 2015
Andrei_Rublev said:
Orhunaa said:

No I actually don't find it as good as people think either (it's only good in my book). It's just that the reason OP gave seems pretty trivial and wouldn't affect the overall experience at least for me. I would say the same thing even if I hated the show.
Jan 30, 2018 1:06 PM

Nov 2011
Orhunaa said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

No I actually don't find it as good as people think either (it's only good in my book). It's just that the reason OP gave seems pretty trivial and wouldn't affect the overall experience at least for me. I would say the same thing even if I hated the show.

Its a minor issue surrounded by more serious flaws but I can see how what seems like a trivial plot hole can kill something for someone if it rubs them the wrong way.
Jan 30, 2018 5:28 PM

Sep 2008
That obvious major hole aside, there's also the fact that they didn't try to call each other immediately. Anybody in their position would have immediately tried to call the other person rather than leaving a bunch of notes. If the call fails, they would have went to meet each other within a week. Yet they seem to live each others' lives for what appears to be several weeks. It's painfully contrived. Even if you're a retard who misses the date difference, you KNOW you would have done everything you can to meet the other person in a bizarre situation like this asap. You're not going to be leaving notes and living their life for them while they live yours.
Feb 4, 2018 7:18 AM

Jul 2015
5layer said:
That obvious major hole aside, there's also the fact that they didn't try to call each other immediately. Anybody in their position would have immediately tried to call the other person rather than leaving a bunch of notes. If the call fails, they would have went to meet each other within a week. Yet they seem to live each others' lives for what appears to be several weeks. It's painfully contrived. Even if you're a retard who misses the date difference, you KNOW you would have done everything you can to meet the other person in a bizarre situation like this asap. You're not going to be leaving notes and living their life for them while they live yours.

Yeah, and they could have made plans to meet. Then there could be a conversation between them about how he's going to meet her tomorrow but tomorrow is still three or so years away for her.
Feb 18, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2015
I think, even if they noticed... they wouldn't really care. Because all they know is that they switched trough their dreams, it doesn't matter if they are from different worlds or time., they didn't really care about that at first. They just enjoyed the experience while making sure that their lives wouldn't completely change. They only started to care after they started to like each other or get curious about each other.

For me the only thing I didn't like about the movie was that

Feb 18, 2018 2:12 PM

Jul 2017
In school I dont even write the date down at all, and phones dont tell u the year it is unless u actually look for it. So it's not a plot hole. The just didn't bother checking the date.
Feb 18, 2018 4:12 PM

Jul 2015
Zerity said:
In school I dont even write the date down at all, and phones dont tell u the year it is unless u actually look for it. So it's not a plot hole. The just didn't bother checking the date.
Stupidity isn't an excuse for poor story writing.
Feb 18, 2018 4:17 PM

Jul 2017
@PsychoticDave there portraying high school kids not adults, if it was adults then it would be an issue with their work but there not. Unless someone was to actually tell them what year it was then they wouldn't know.
Feb 18, 2018 4:24 PM

Jul 2015
Zerity said:
@PsychoticDave there portraying high school kids not adults, if it was adults then it would be an issue with their work but there not. Unless someone was to actually tell them what year it was then they wouldn't know.
There's no excuse for making the characters so dumb.
Feb 18, 2018 9:35 PM

Sep 2008
Zerity said:

These characters are 17 years old. They're basically as old as you are. Given the situation, I doubt you would act as stupidly as these characters did.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1385 by Takai_Shinji »»
Apr 15, 3:40 PM

» The only couple that could say theyโ€™ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.