Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2016 8:05 PM

Jan 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I guess that was an okay end to the series... i was really hoping for a mari/yori ending but it just turned out to be schoolgirl lesbians OTL

At least Mari's family is back together.
Sep 7, 2016 10:26 AM
May 2015
why it end just like that :'( is yori just illusion too ?
Sep 7, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2013
Given how slow some chapters have been, you could say that this ending is a bit rushed, but I guess we can speculate what happened between chapters 79 and 80 (Mari's mother returning and accepting Yori again as Mari's friend etc.)

I'll rate this with a 7. It works out well as a gender bender deconstruction and I'm glad that I started reading it. However, Komori's character could have been better developed. He's not the main character, but he plays a key role in the plot. Also, I think we could have reached the same result with less chapters, like around 70. I still remember how painful it was sometimes, having to wait for two weeks. I'll be sure to read "Happiness" after it ends!
NaughtyNoddySep 7, 2016 10:38 AM
Sep 7, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2011
Idk why but I get this empty sort of feeling at the end. The colored pages though....brings a lot more life into the series but idk, I just feel weird after reading it.
Sep 7, 2016 8:58 PM

Apr 2007
Started out as a 9 and ended a 6. Last 10 chapters were incredibly boring.
Sep 7, 2016 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't exactly say they botched the ending, but the effect I feel it was supposed to have on the reader wasn't satisfying. I really enjoyed most of it. Maybe if I sit on the ending it will stick but for now I'm going to rate it a solid 7. Was willing to give it a 8 or even a 9 if the end was executed better.
Sep 8, 2016 12:00 AM

May 2014
they played us like a damn fiddle
Sep 8, 2016 1:49 AM
Mar 2015
Benjenzo said:
I wouldn't exactly say they botched the ending, but the effect I feel it was supposed to have on the reader wasn't satisfying. I really enjoyed most of it. Maybe if I sit on the ending it will stick but for now I'm going to rate it a solid 7. Was willing to give it a 8 or even a 9 if the end was executed better.

I strongly agreed, I think it had potential and the author at some point didn't know how to use it and made changes, i.e. Komori kind of became a supportive character, still I guess it was a nice ride.
Sep 8, 2016 4:11 AM
Feb 2015
it somehow sad end, they should at least let yori going to the same college as mari
Sep 8, 2016 8:08 AM

Oct 2009
Stark700 said:
Idk why but I get this empty sort of feeling at the end. The colored pages though....brings a lot more life into the series but idk, I just feel weird after reading it.

That's the feeling you get when u finish something you really loved, happened to me in Onanie Master Kurosawa.
Sep 8, 2016 12:48 PM
Oct 2014
For several last chapters, I was feeling frustrated at Oshimi for what he's doing, but now I'm frustrated even more.
I'll have to reread it to decide on the score for this.
Sep 8, 2016 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
The ending felt really underwhelming, and don't like these type of endings, only feels like was reading all those chapters for nothing.
Sep 8, 2016 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
The ending was perfect for me. A little weird but I think this ending is really the most suitable one for this manga.
After so long the mangaka finally dried out of weed. :)
Sep 8, 2016 5:10 PM

Feb 2010
Well, that was bad.
Sep 8, 2016 7:32 PM

Mar 2016
I was expecting a more detailed end :ccc
Seunghoon my sunflower
Sep 8, 2016 10:58 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't realize it was the end, until....like it just happened lol. I thought this was pretty good. As kind of......lackluster of an end as it was, I kind of thought it was perfect to be honest.

It was a good read.

8/10 for me.
Sep 8, 2016 11:31 PM

Oct 2015
huh...i thought this might be ending soon but i wasn't expecting it here, it seems so...lack luster? like nothing happened..

it had so much potential at first and then idk what happened. I guess its a 7 for me just cus it started off so well but alas on to the next one i suppose!
Sep 9, 2016 11:47 AM
Feb 2016
Stark700 said:

I thought I was the only one.
Sep 10, 2016 10:34 AM
Sep 2015
Yeah, I guess Komori personality did disappear, or was that him saying "Mari-san" at the end there inside her head?
Sep 10, 2016 12:18 PM

Sep 2011
When I finished reading this chapter I thought oh cool, Oshimi-san did the same thing here as he did in Aku no Hana. And I was disappointed to be honest, as well as left confused because the whole thing wasn't made clear to readers (imho). But then it occurred to me that this story actually resembles Demian. Hello and thank you Bangtan Boys.
So, Mari is Sinclair and Fumiko, Mari and Isao are variations of Demian, each taking action in a special period of time. But I think this theory of mine is not much valid, because in the book Demian did not take control over Sinclair's body. Yet I think this makes some kind of sense. Just sharing my opinion.
Oshimi-san is great <3
Sep 12, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
huh? so it's already ended?

where's the explanation of all the event? what's trully happened out there?
so they just leave it like that?
it feels empty..

I thought Mari and Komori finally seeing each other. such disappointment.
Sep 12, 2016 1:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I think he really didn't know how to end this. Really went out with a whimper this one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 17, 2016 7:05 PM

Feb 2014
GG WP

I am mad, this thing goes from great to a big pile of shit, not worth reading in the least. Oshimi, you're a pigfuck.
Sep 29, 2016 6:49 AM
Sep 2014
I wish it would have explored dissociative identity disorder a bit deeper. Some parts, like the dissociation and dysphoria, and the switching part was very descriptive. Unfortunately alters aren't usually created like that and that "trauma" was neither big enough or explored to feel credible. Anyway it was a great read.
Oct 2, 2016 6:21 PM

Dec 2014
I discovered the manga yestarday and finished it today. It was a good ride, good manga overall, really enjoy reading it.
Although I am really dissapointed that Komori(the fake one) didn't existed after you went through all of his struggles. But anyway, it was a kind of a good shocking twist, at least for me.

ps: If this was animated, it should be done by shaft and have kickass openings that foreshadow the ending, like sayonara zetsubo sensei :V
Oct 3, 2016 5:13 PM

Nov 2012
SO, Mari was so supressed with her feelings and the only thing that made her escape her "prison", just for a little while would be to watch Komori doing his nightly activites. With all her emotions in roll she at some point snapped and thus begun to think she actually was Komori Isao, when she actually really was just herself, Mari. You could say that the author described some kind of personality disorder (i'm sure there have been cases similar to this about personality disorders, but i also think you can have a personality disorder in multiple ways) and this was one of those multiple ways to have an personality disorder.

Sure when Komori as Mari asked himself (Komori) in one of the earlier chapters if he recognised her at all, and he denied that he haven't ever seen her before (convenience store)... Could be an plothole OR that Mari actually snapped earlier, before the convenience store meetings. Almost like a "phase" before she actually snapped of her thinking she actually was/is Komori. Could explain why Komori doesn't know her from before, because Mari actually snapped into thinking Komori saw Mari in the convenience store.
The end made me think that the old Mari accepted her "new" self, thus wanting to disappear BUT also disappear as Fumiko. To begin a real NEW self with her now best friend / lover Yori.

This is only my opinion on what the author thought about when he made this GREAT piece. Wouldn't surprise me if this could be a VERY successful live movie or even Anime, if done right and not with half assed actors just doing it for money and doing an bad act.
I would LOVE to see an sequel to this masterpiece.
Linkon18Oct 3, 2016 5:19 PM
Oct 7, 2016 8:54 PM

Nov 2011
Sadly I have to agree that the end was lackluster.
My feelings for this manga are the same as my feelings for Aku no Hana:
Started out Great then it kept growing till it reach a climax just to go down with very slow chapters that we feel led to nothing.
Also I agree that her trouble with the personalities could have been better explored.
Also her mom is back just like that...
Well it was still a good read, the end didn't ruined the whole experience or anything.
Baby, daijobanai...
Oct 28, 2016 7:57 AM
Nov 2015
Did NOT expect that. When Isao suggested Mari was making it up (when Mari and Yori first go and meet him) I didn't even think about it.
There are bits that don't make sense. Sure, she can pretend to be someone else, but forgetting about her period or how she acts or who she hangs out with seems a bit much. Especially chapter one, how would she know what it's like to have bad eyesight like Isao?
Oct 28, 2016 8:00 AM
Nov 2015
_Kazuma-Kun said:
Stark700 said:

I thought I was the only one.

I always get this after reading manga or watching an anime. It's weird.
Nov 24, 2016 3:49 PM
Jul 2014
I might be completely wrong - I read the ending in a rush and it was a long time ago that I read the first part - but it seems to me that perhaps Komori and Mari had been swapped as young children. Perhaps as a result of an earlier swap in the hospital (e.g. family given the wrong infant without noticing) - there's a Japanese movie out there about this scenario, which did indeed occur.

There are some weaknesses to this theory, but it might explain Mari's trauma and detachment from her family. Also it might be the reason why her name was changed from Fumiko to Mari as she was switched. Also, her obsessiveness with Komori might be based on her wishing to be him - and thus going back to her previous family.

Feel welcomed to pick my theory apart, I didn't put too much thought into it.
Dec 17, 2016 10:44 PM

Feb 2014
i kinda feel like pretending the last 5 chapters don't exist
Jan 2, 2017 6:44 PM
Mar 2014
Come on it wasnt that bad. For those who did not understand it:
Mari created the Komori inside her by stalking the shit out of the real one. Also reading his diary was a major thing. She thought of him as "out of expectations" and "free" unlike her. It wasnt a supernatural swap body thing but a psychological illness, probably DID. I don't know how or in what circunstances she ended up stalking him. But what we see in the first chapters when he stalks her, it was just all in Mari's head, probably.
In the end, the Komori created by Mari vanished along with the little girl in her subconcious.
I don't know if Yori realized about all this, I my guess is that she did.
When it came to me that Komori was just a mental barrier created to protect Mari, I felt sad because I knew there wouldnt be yuri ending. But glad that it wasnt just a weird paranormal thing.
Sad for Yori but oh well. At least they are friends and will see eachother again.
At the very end, Mari hears Komori's voice and turned around to see that there wasnt anyone there, which may suggest what I stated before.
Jan 2, 2017 6:52 PM
Mar 2014
Nihilsciens said:
I might be completely wrong - I read the ending in a rush and it was a long time ago that I read the first part - but it seems to me that perhaps Komori and Mari had been swapped as young children. Perhaps as a result of an earlier swap in the hospital (e.g. family given the wrong infant without noticing) - there's a Japanese movie out there about this scenario, which did indeed occur.

There are some weaknesses to this theory, but it might explain Mari's trauma and detachment from her family. Also it might be the reason why her name was changed from Fumiko to Mari as she was switched. Also, her obsessiveness with Komori might be based on her wishing to be him - and thus going back to her previous family.

Where did they met when they were children? I don't remember that
Jan 12, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2012
Ending felt empty, probably because all the resolution was already met when Komori said the truth, that Mari is just imagining it. I also felt kinda empty in the end, Mari and her family and Mari and yori just became normal and interacted in a superficial normal way compared to how intense everything was prior to this point.

Pretty good read 7/10.

Nihilsciens said:

That's not a theory you are recalling things that never happened. Mari just stalked Komori and read his Journal and convinced herself that she was him to escape from her life.
Mar 11, 2017 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
Last quarter of this manga was fkn meh af! Got so boring and finding out it was in her head n shit was just shit.....ultra meh....

carlaca said:
they played us like a damn fiddle

My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 22, 2017 5:55 AM
Aug 2014
ThunderWrath said:
Come on it wasnt that bad. For those who did not understand it:
Mari created the Komori inside her by stalking the shit out of the real one. Also reading his diary was a major thing. She thought of him as "out of expectations" and "free" unlike her. It wasnt a supernatural swap body thing but a psychological illness, probably DID. I don't know how or in what circunstances she ended up stalking him. But what we see in the first chapters when he stalks her, it was just all in Mari's head, probably.
In the end, the Komori created by Mari vanished along with the little girl in her subconcious.
I don't know if Yori realized about all this, I my guess is that she did.
When it came to me that Komori was just a mental barrier created to protect Mari, I felt sad because I knew there wouldnt be yuri ending. But glad that it wasnt just a weird paranormal thing.
Sad for Yori but oh well. At least they are friends and will see eachother again.
At the very end, Mari hears Komori's voice and turned around to see that there wasnt anyone there, which may suggest what I stated before.

i agree with you...i feel sorry for those who didnt understand the manga...

and for me it makes all sense...that Mari's memory of Komari (split personality , the fake one) was only in the Journal, as you can see in the 1st page of the notebook it talks about when he stop school, it all begins in the 1st chapter , she mention that he stop school..but she didnt mention the family before all that happened to him...so thats why when she came to Real Komori's house..she said that it is her first time seeing that house and the mother. (sorry for my bad englsih)
Mar 22, 2017 6:23 AM
Aug 2014
i have few theories about Yori...

1st: maybe she likes Mari in Idol figure.

2nd: she likes Mari because of her good attitude(like when she hugged her in the nurse room)

3rd: Sister figure (because her sisters name is the same name as Mari, and she is bullied by her sister)

4th:and i think she didnt felt in love in Mari, she fell in love in Komori's(fake) personality. thats why she doesnt want Komori to disappear...

5th: and when Komori disappeard, its like she doesnt care anymore about Komori (in this theory, you can apply the 1st 3 of my thoeries :D )

(sorry about my bad english)
Mar 22, 2017 7:37 PM
Feb 2012
This is probably the most disappointing end to a manga I've read. My hopes for an what I thought the author was hinting at went up in smokes. This ending left me feeling pissed off at how bitter-sweet but really just boring everything turned out to be. I thought I was going into a story about Mari's sexuality but no that wasn't the case. First thing I thought once finishing was to tell the author "Fuck You."
Mar 25, 2017 5:19 PM
Apr 2011
This is my conclusion:

Mari is a real person.
Komori is a real person.
Yori is a real person.

Fumiko was Mari's true identity. Something terrible happened to her and it scarred her for life. She created a wall to mentally block the bad memories. In order to help her cope, her mother decided to give her a new identity called Mari. Mari forgot her past and lived a normal life for several years. Then suddenly the "wall" started breaking down and made her remember some bad memories. Her mind automatically decides to create another personality. It's just a coincidence that during that time she was stalking Komori. Her mind unconsciously decided to use Komori as the new identity. Chapter 1 starts.

So what is the ending? Mari is now her "official" identity. Fumiko and Komori personality had been erased or suppressed in her mind.
Apr 2, 2017 7:59 AM
May 2012
this manga could have been so much better if the mangaka didn't add yori. i mean, i actually like what became of her character, but i feel like it would have been better if the story was just between mari and komori.
anyway, first time reading a manga while listening to music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3iZACDBapU&t=8081s). pretty awesome!
Apr 29, 2017 2:01 AM
Apr 2017
Xiuimin said:
I was expecting a more detailed end :ccc

I know I'm not alone
May 9, 2017 3:18 AM

May 2015
Ending could've been better but a good series overall. Never thought about the possibility of a split personality. 7/10.
Jun 6, 2017 7:06 PM
Jun 2017
The last chapters and ending were so disappointing. As many have already said, I felt an empty sort of feeling at the end. I started reading this manga on the assumption that the manga was focused on Komori, not Mari. And in the end the opposite has proven true. THAT was the thing i didn't like. I expected Komori to be the main character and I was looking forward to see his development. Also, I really don't like Yori as a character. She was simply annoying, from beginning to end, and she was worthless on the outcome of the story. Anyway it wasn't so bad, I'd give it a 7/10, overall.
Aug 28, 2017 1:32 AM

Mar 2014
Overall it was great story but I really disliked, hated even that stalker girl - Yori.
Oct 5, 2017 12:03 AM
Nov 2012
This is a fairly old thread, but nobody really articulated what I thought of the ending so I thought I'd take a swing.

I think this is ultimately a story about a girl trying to come to terms with her identity. It's heavily implied she has a dissociative disorder. She idealized Isao as a carefree guy with loving parents. She stalked him and eventually projected what she thought he was onto a separate identity.

However, at some point while she stalked him, she read his diary. Which makes it obvious his life wasn't as carefree as it seemed. Paradoxically, it also seems like she's somewhat repulsed by him.

A lot of Mari's backstory is unexplained or vague, but it seems safe to conclude that she was traumatized and felt the need to essentially "kill" Fumiko to become the Mari her mother wanted. Her identity was fractured and we see through Yori's descriptions that she may not have even liked her friends. Her life was completely artificial. And her departure (leaving Isao as the sole inhabitant) was ultimately an escapist strategy.

The ending was a little too vague for my tastes and some things with Mari and Yori felt unresolved, but the story was definitely worth it. It was very smartly written at times and was good at portraying how flawed people are. It seems like the author was afraid of making the story resolution too obvious and opted to be excessively cryptic and unsatisfying instead. But it was good. 8/10 maybe.

Side note: the brother felt severely under utilized. What's his deal?
Oct 15, 2017 12:17 PM

Mar 2012
The comments here just reinforced my idea that the general public is really clueless about mental illnesses. The development wasn't perfect and had the love it or hate it slow paced rhythm that plagues Oshimi Shuuzo's work, but the story was solid, the ending and overall concept logical and well constructed. A solid 8/10, could have been better if more time was dedicated in the Mari/Komori dichotomy; as it is, it makes you understand what's going on, and, even if you can empathize to a certain degree with the characters, it falls short on making you feel what's going on
Jan 30, 2018 2:07 PM
Jan 2017
Linkon18 said:
SO, Mari was so supressed with her feelings and the only thing that made her escape her "prison", just for a little while would be to watch Komori doing his nightly activites. With all her emotions in roll she at some point snapped and thus begun to think she actually was Komori Isao, when she actually really was just herself, Mari. You could say that the author described some kind of personality disorder (i'm sure there have been cases similar to this about personality disorders, but i also think you can have a personality disorder in multiple ways) and this was one of those multiple ways to have an personality disorder.

Sure when Komori as Mari asked himself (Komori) in one of the earlier chapters if he recognised her at all, and he denied that he haven't ever seen her before (convenience store)... Could be an plothole OR that Mari actually snapped earlier, before the convenience store meetings. Almost like a "phase" before she actually snapped of her thinking she actually was/is Komori. Could explain why Komori doesn't know her from before, because Mari actually snapped into thinking Komori saw Mari in the convenience store.
The end made me think that the old Mari accepted her "new" self, thus wanting to disappear BUT also disappear as Fumiko. To begin a real NEW self with her now best friend / lover Yori.

This is only my opinion on what the author thought about when he made this GREAT piece. Wouldn't surprise me if this could be a VERY successful live movie or even Anime, if done right and not with half assed actors just doing it for money and doing an bad act.

Possibly Dissociative identity disorder.
I literally one shot this manga for 2 hours of steady reading and my brain melted off. I was searching for the meaning behind the ending since my insights, seemingly, were totally out of the blue. When I read your "conclusion" I cried a little. Thank you for clearing my insights
Jan 31, 2018 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
helppls said:
Linkon18 said:

I literally one shot this manga for 2 hours of steady reading and my brain melted off. I was searching for the meaning behind the ending since my insights, seemingly, were totally out of the blue. When I read your "conclusion" I cried a little. Thank you for clearing my insights

My god, reading my conclusion again... almost 1 & ½ years ago. I almost don't understand the conclusion because i barely remember exactly what happened in the manga. But anyways, i'm replying because i'm a big lurker (people who mostly reads and browse but never type or make any impacts themselfs). And this conclusion i've written up has now gotten some attention from you and i barely get any replies of anything "big" i write. So i rarely do it, i'm really happy for you to appreciate my conclusion on what happened to this manga and i hope you could reply to this message aswell so i know you've read it :)
Feb 1, 2018 2:25 AM
Jan 2017
Linkon18 said:
helppls said:

My god, reading my conclusion again... almost 1 & ½ years ago. I almost don't understand the conclusion because i barely remember exactly what happened in the manga. But anyways, i'm replying because i'm a big lurker (people who mostly reads and browse but never type or make any impacts themselfs). And this conclusion i've written up has now gotten some attention from you and i barely get any replies of anything "big" i write. So i rarely do it, i'm really happy for you to appreciate my conclusion on what happened to this manga and i hope you could reply to this message aswell so i know you've read it :)

I'm happy myself that people like you exist. Thank you again
Feb 10, 2018 6:46 AM

Jun 2012
So i completed this yesterday In one go. From the premise I expected some sort of standard gender bender but I got some very interesting psychological drama. And I appreciate that.

My thoughts: When the girl named Fumiko had her named changed he "became" Mari, but she wasn't satisfied. She still suffered from internal struggle, managed to supress it but the stress of trying to be the ideal Mari, the one that her mother and social circle wanted was too much. Then she found Komori, who was just living his life as himself. She was jealous of his freedom, obsessed and finally created a new personality for herself. Because of the events of the story she managed to find true frienship/love with Yori, restored her bond with her brotther and Father. When MariKomori said things like "I'm having so much fun" it was Mari's true feelings of finally being able to act as herself. The Komori personality was able to express things that MariMari couldn't. In the end I don't interpret the ending as other personalities dissapearing. It feels more like Mari finally was able to become content with all parts of herself, in the end even reconciling with her mother who (at least IMO) was the cause of this all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why can't I purchase Volume 6 in English

ZaraJDay - Apr 8

2 by NotKistofe »»
Apr 8, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Boku wa Mari no Naka Chapter 77 Discussion

RediceRyan - Aug 2, 2016

4 by Sanak_ »»
Dec 23, 2023 10:48 AM

Poll: » Boku wa Mari no Naka Chapter 59 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2015

10 by Reshiram_IX »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:13 PM

Poll: » Boku wa Mari no Naka Chapter 40 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2014

20 by Reshiram_IX »»
Dec 6, 2023 3:23 PM

Poll: » Boku wa Mari no Naka Chapter 30 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Aug 1, 2014

7 by Reshiram_IX »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.