The cultural and architectonical Downfall of Germany and other Countries

New
Jan 20, 2018 10:22 AM

Jan 2009

If you know German, I highly recommend the following two Videos:

"The Downfall of German Architecture"

and

"The Downfall of German Arts".

Even if you don't know German, the Pictures alone show very well what's so damn wrong with this Country.

Albrecht Dürer's Woodcut of a Rhinoceros from 1515 (!) was even used as an exemplary Picture of a Rhinoceros in German School Books up until the first Decades of the 20th Century:

New Buildings are pure Shit. They also don't tend to last even remotely as long as old Buildings:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/why-modern-mortar-crumbles-roman-concrete-lasts-millennia

Why do you think there is so much Focus on "Modern Arts" or "Post-Modern Architecture"?
Does Globalization really mean we have to make everywhere look like the same Shit?
Is there anything we can do to reverse the Trend and go back to traditional Styles?

edit: here's the Video from #29 below to make it more clear:

edit 2: a bit of a pity that the video above doesn't seem to work any longer, but here's a good article with lots of pictures:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/10/why-you-hate-contemporary-architecture
NoboruOct 14, 2018 6:31 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 20, 2018 10:31 AM

Jul 2016
The Nazis had great architecture and they used Roman and Greek buildings for inspiration.

Jan 20, 2018 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
I definitely prefer both the appearance and structural integrity of older buildings.

I also agree that culture specific architecture is far more fascinating, and without it, tourism probably wouldn't even exist. We lose more and more every day.

Jan 20, 2018 10:41 AM

Nov 2017
It's all about preference though? We didn't change the way we built because we lost knowledge, preferences and fashion shifted. I don't mind globalism in architecture, old and new can exist next to each other.

I like cities like Rotterdam just as much as more old-fashioned cities like Leiden.

Jan 20, 2018 10:46 AM

Sep 2012
the arguments that could be made for modern architecture is that it's more efficient, but i much prefer older style.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jan 20, 2018 10:47 AM

Jan 2009
Nyu said:
The Nazis had great architecture and they used Roman and Greek buildings for inspiration.
Not too much of a Fan of just having classic Antique Greco-Roman Style, but even that would look a hundred Times better than what we have now.

Seiya said:
I definitely prefer both the appearance and structural integrity of older buildings.
Who doesn't? Btw.: How does your Location or nearby Settlements look in that Regard? Do they have any noteworthy Buildings and/or Sculptures in them?

Also, you raise a good Point: If everywhere looks the same, why bother to travel to other Countries?
Jan 20, 2018 10:49 AM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Nyu said:
Not too much of a Fan of just having classic Antique Greco-Roman Style, but even that would look a hundred Times better than what we have now.

Seiya said:
Who doesn't? Btw.: How does your Location or nearby Settlements look in that Regard? Do they have any noteworthy Buildings and/or Sculptures in them?

Also, you raise a good Point: If everywhere looks the same, why bother to travel to other Countries?

Well, I live in a town of roughly 500 people, so there isn't much to see where I live. There's a few old houses, but many of them are disappearing.

Jan 20, 2018 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
ikr OP

how the fuck does anyone dare not build buildings from 200 years ago anymore

I'd throw a frying pan at you if I could.
Jan 20, 2018 11:05 AM

Jan 2009
@Yomiyuki: The first Picture looks really beautiful! Where is that?

Seiya said:
Well, I live in a town of roughly 500 people, so there isn't much to see where I live. There's a few old houses, but many of them are disappearing.
I see. And the next City is Miles apart, I take it. How are newer Houses build? Like some Soviet-styled Buildings with Mass Apartments or at least still distinct Houses?

@Jurisprudentie: The first Thing that comes to Mind with Holland are Tulips and Windmills:

If it's not overdone, a modern City can look appealing, too, but I prefer the classic Style.

Also funny that you mentioned lost Knowledge, because that's also true for many (Hand-)Crafts as well, which cannot be created any longer, because the Knowledge hadn't been passed down.

DejWhoa said:
how the fuck does anyone dare not build buildings in the architectural style of 200 years ago anymore
Fixed it a little bit. Or to be even more precisely: how dare they completely break with Traditions and build Buildings that really don't look anything typical for a set Region or Country?
NoboruJan 20, 2018 2:18 PM
Jan 20, 2018 11:16 AM

Jun 2011
I'm a simple guy, I think efficiency is usually the most important, especially when it comes to something I don't really care that much about
Jan 20, 2018 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
Even though old building can be marvellous, you have to look at the costs of building them.
Nowadays, you have a much bigger population and you need to build houses and apartment at a far faster rate, so having buildings that complex would be almost impossible.
Plus, if you look at the great building in every city, most of them are own by the state.
Also, the costs of maintenance are far bigger in those buildings.

It's not a downfall of the architecture, but adapting the architecture to the new ages.
Jan 20, 2018 11:22 AM

Jan 2009
Killaclown said:
I'm a simple guy, I think efficiency is usually the most important, especially when it comes to something I don't really care that much about
So you wouldn't mind living in a Place like this?

Jan 20, 2018 11:26 AM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
I see. And the next City is Miles apart, I take it. How are newer Houses build? Like some Soviet-styled Buildings with Mass Apartments or at least still distinct Houses?

Yeah, there's no such thing as "cities" where I live. You would have to travel 1000+km to get to one.

Most houses where I live are individual houses, although there are some apartments. Nearly all houses here have vinyl siding on the outside. It is quite boring where I live.

Jan 20, 2018 11:30 AM

Jun 2011
Noboru said:
Killaclown said:
So you wouldn't mind living in a Place like this?

of course i would mind, the style isnt the problem though.... its the other people lol
Jan 20, 2018 11:37 AM

Mar 2012
If the best we can come up with is an appeal to tradition, then I'm afraid the bigger problem is our lack of imagination. Yes, there is some noticeable homogeneity among new buildings in major international cities. Yes, there is a certain romance/nostalgia around old styles of architecture. At the same time, we have new building materials, new building processes/technologies, more trained architects, and new considerations (density, energy efficiency, public transit, and so on). If we want it and push for it, we can build striking, unique modern cities.

Personally I don't care about national architectural identities, since I'm a shameless globalist. National architecture is important historically and I want architecture to remain diverse/experimental generally, but I don't care if that diversity/experimentation cuts across national boundaries.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 20, 2018 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
Nokkun said:
It's not a downfall of the architecture, but adapting the architecture to the new ages.
That maybe true to some Extent when it comes to build Apartments for many People fast, but it still can't explain Atrocities like the Federal Chancellery.

Even Qingdao has Buildings that look much rather German compared to that:

Yet, most high official Guests are being received in such a shitty-looking Building.

As for the Cost of Maintenance, you're comparing Houses that are partly several Centuries old with Buildings that are only a few Decades at most. And still, Buildings that have been build just a few Decades ago already have Problems, because they were made from cheap Concrete. Creating something long-lasting doesn't require high Maintenance. There are several Buildings around the World which have lasted for several Centuries or even Millennia already. A modern-styled City left alone would crumble within a few Decades at most, that's how brittle Architecture has become.
Jan 20, 2018 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
Nokkun said:
That maybe true to some Extent when it comes to build Apartments for many People fast, but it still can't explain Atrocities like the Federal Chancellery.

Even Qingdao has Buildings that look much rather German compared to that:

Yet, most high official Guests are being received in such a shitty-looking Building.

As for the Cost of Maintenance, you're comparing Houses that are partly several Centuries old with Buildings that are only a few Decades at most. And still, Buildings that have been build just a few Decades ago already have Problems, because they were made from cheap Concrete. Creating something long-lasting doesn't require high Maintenance. There are several Buildings around the World which have lasted for several Centuries or even Millennia already. A modern-styled City left alone would crumble within a few Decades at most, that's how brittle Architecture has become.

Honestly, all that talk seems over nationalistic for me...
Well, not every modern building is made of cheap materials, so I don't think it's fair to make that generalisation. Yes, but those buildings weren't left alone to rot. Most buildings like that belonged to rich families or to governments/royalty, so they had maintenance.
The cost of making them nowadays would be significantly higher than to build a normal building.

Also, I think all of this is a matter of taste. Even though I like old buildings, I know several people who like "modern architecture", so its fair to say the beauty is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder.
Jan 20, 2018 11:58 AM

Jan 2009
Killaclown said:
of course i would mind, the style isnt the problem though.... its the other people lol
So you would live in the Building if you had the whole Complex for you yourself?

Seiya said:
Yeah, there's no such thing as "cities" where I live. You would have to travel 1000+km to get to one.
Wow, that's really behind the Woods! D:
What do you mean with "vinyl siding on the outside"? I can't really picture it in my Mind.

Josh said:
At the same time, we have new building materials, new building processes/technologies, more trained architects, and new considerations (density, energy efficiency, public transit, and so on). If we want it and push for it, we can build striking, unique modern cities.
The new Building Materials are of pretty low Quality compared to what People used to use.
I agree that there are new Aspects to consider, but there's no Reason to have everywhere look like the same Shit.

Josh said:
Personally I don't care about national architectural identities, since I'm a shameless globalist. National architecture is important historically and I want architecture to remain diverse/experimental generally, but I don't care if that diversity/experimentation cuts across national boundaries.
I wonder why being a Globalist and a Nationalist has to be a Paradox. Why not combine both while keeping Traditions and the general Look of the Cities typical for the respective Country and having the Conveniences of a modern World like buying Products from all over the World?

Also, tell me what's more "diverse"

This here:

or this here:

Or something entirely different?
NoboruJan 20, 2018 12:38 PM
Jan 20, 2018 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
Wow, that's really behind the Woods! D:
What do you mean with "vinyl siding on the outside"? I can't really picture it in my Mind.

Here's a random picture of a house with vinyl siding:

Although, most houses have far narrower roofs where I live. In most 1-storey houses where I live, you can't stand up in the attic, because the roof is so narrow.

Most of the 2-storey houses happen to be the older ones, but you rarely come across a house that is 100+ years old where I live.

Jan 20, 2018 12:08 PM

Jan 2009
Nokkun said:

Honestly, all that talk seems over nationalistic for me...
Well, not every modern building is made of cheap materials, so I don't think it's fair to make that generalisation. Yes, but those buildings weren't left alone to rot. Most buildings like that belonged to rich families or to governments/royalty, so they had maintenance.
The cost of making them nowadays would be significantly higher than to build a normal building.

Also, I think all of this is a matter of taste. Even though I like old buildings, I know several people who like "modern architecture", so its fair to say the beauty is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder.
If wanting to keep traditional Styles is overly nationalistic for you, then I can't help you.
They are made of cheap Materials compared to what used to be used at least for prestige Buildings. And yes, many Buildings had Maintenance, but there are still lots of architectural Works like the Roman Canals which had been built with a much better Material than the ones of contemporary Concrete in modern Italy. The Pyramids in Egypt have also lasted several Millennia even without Maintenance at all.

I believe that the vast Majority of People would prefer the traditional over the modern Style, unless that modern Style has at least some good-looking Skyline like this:

However, during the Day, it looks rather depressing imho:

edit: @Seiya: At least, they look like normal Houses. I would prefer a small House like that over a big Flat.
NoboruJan 20, 2018 2:24 PM
Jan 20, 2018 12:11 PM

Nov 2008
Something in this topic just makes me laugh a bit, probably the fact that you're asking for too much. A lot of those historical buildings would either bankrupt a country if they were built today or the taxpayers would riot and kill whoever thought up the plan in the first place. These days only billionaire corporate moguls can afford buildings that are built in classical styles.

Jan 20, 2018 12:20 PM

Jan 2009
Hoppy said:
Something in this topic just makes me laugh a bit, probably the fact that you're asking for too much. A lot of those historical buildings would either bankrupt a country if they were built today or the taxpayers would riot and kill whoever thought up the plan in the first place. These days only billionaire corporate moguls can afford buildings that are built in classical styles.
Why is it asking too much to keep at least some traditional Style? I'm not talking about having to have every Building in the half-timbered Style, but is it really too much asked to not have Buildings like this?

Also, which corporate Moguls do you mean that have Buildings built in classical Style? Because neither the Apple Park, nor the Googleplex, nor the Microsoft Redmond Campus are and neither are the Coca-Cola Headquarters.
Jan 20, 2018 12:57 PM

Nov 2008
Noboru said:
Hoppy said:
Why is it asking too much to keep at least some traditional Style? I'm not talking about having to have every Building in the half-timbered Style, but is it really too much asked to not have Buildings like this?

Also, which corporate Moguls do you mean that have Buildings built in classical Style? Because neither the Apple Park, nor the Googleplex, nor the Microsoft Redmond Campus are and neither are the Coca-Cola Headquarters.

Nice looking buildings cost money, money that only the top 0.5% and 1% have and can afford to spend on buildings in a semi-traditional, traditional, or classical style in this day and age. Unfortunately, people' taste in buildings have changed over the centuries also impacting architecture.

Jan 20, 2018 1:12 PM

Jan 2009
Hoppy said:
Nice looking buildings cost money, money that only the top 0.5% and 1% have and can afford to spend on buildings in a semi-traditional, traditional, or classical style in this day and age. Unfortunately, people' taste in buildings have changed over the centuries also impacting architecture.
You're not going to tell me that a typical American-looking House like this one can only be afforded by the Top 0.5% and 1%, are you?

Also, what has more impacted People is that they have resigned themselves to the shitty new Architecture. It's not like they don't want to, it's more like they stopped caring.
Jan 20, 2018 1:33 PM

Jun 2011
@Noboru ..... duh (necessary words for limit)
Jan 20, 2018 2:03 PM

Jan 2009
@Killaclown: How about you fill your Posting with what exactly went through your Head instead of using Filler Words? I do not understand what "duh" refers to.
Jan 20, 2018 2:16 PM

Jun 2011
Noboru said:
@Killaclown: How about you fill your Posting with what exactly went through your Head instead of using Filler Words? I do not understand what "duh" refers to.
duh referred to yes...... thought it was obvious @Noboru
Jan 20, 2018 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
Killaclown said:
Noboru said:
I wasn't talking about whom, I was talking about what it referred to. As in: Which Statement of mine exactly made you react that laconic and why?
Jan 20, 2018 4:21 PM

Jan 2009
Just gonna leave this Video here, before heading to Bed:

(it's the first Video, but in English and with some slightly different Pictures)

Also, what is Art according to you and what Importance do you think it has?
Jan 20, 2018 6:25 PM

Aug 2016
Meh, this thread is a little bit biased. Yeah, it is true that roman concrete was very resistent and we, until few years ago, didn't now how they made it.

But don't think their buildings are that strong. We lost almost everything from roman times because 90% of buildings were made of wood and were square cheap houses for the poor. Other buildings endured till today because they were used and mantained heavily.

Italy is full of ancient roman ruins because this buildings were left abandoned to nature which took it and made it a pile of rubble.

The only exception are very simple constructions which are very strong and can withstand the test of time like the pyramids.

Now, you say that we should bring back old style or still took inspiration for it. That's not what we used to do or we'd have roman/greek/german buildings all over the place. People evolve and arts too, it's the course of time.
Ἄκουε δή, ἦ δ᾽ ὅς. φημὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ εἶναι τὸ δίκαιον οὐκ ἄλλο τι ἢ τὸ τοῦ κρείττονος συμφέρον.
Listen—I say that justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger.

Jan 20, 2018 7:00 PM

Apr 2012
Too many state owned buildings and churches in this thread. Here's some examples of historical houses and not mansions either. Courtesy of the USA.

Jan 20, 2018 9:02 PM

Jun 2011
Noboru said:
Killaclown said:
I wasn't talking about whom, I was talking about what it referred to. As in: Which Statement of mine exactly made you react that laconic and why?
ah I c, my bad.... though if you would look back to thw last thing you said to me it would be that you asked me if i would live at the place you posted a pic of (without other people being there of course lol)
Jan 20, 2018 11:58 PM

Mar 2008
I like old architecture but some modern stuff is nice

Lotus Temple in Delhi India for example

Jan 21, 2018 2:00 AM

Jan 2009
@Killaclown: But why would you want to live in such an ugly Apartment Complex, even if you had it for yourself alone?

@traed: That Lotus Temple looks nice, too, but I prefer older architectural Style, because it contains the Love for the Detail. To add some more Thoughts about it: it does look nice, since you can clearly see what it is supposed to represent, namely some Flower. But then again, it strikes me as very awkward, because I can't really think of it as the Work of a specific Culture. There are no Forms and no Decorations which are typical for a certain Culture on Earth. If you hadn't written that it would be the Lotus Temple in Delhi, I wouldn't have been able to guess that it would be from there.
Granted, that could also apply to nation- or culture-typical Creations which I simply don't know where they belong to, but at least, there's some Connection to those Creations compared to something that could very well have been created in some other random Place.

@mascarpone: The Windows are a bit boring in both Houses, but otherwise, they look pretty good and most important: they look like actual Buildings, compared to Concrete Atrocities.

@Arachnophile: I'd rather be biased when it comes to the Decision between Concrete Hell and Buildings that are actually a Form of Arts (see #29).

While it's true that there had been also very simple Housings for the Poor which weren't preserved, another Factor has also been that People in Italy have needed Space for their new Housings.

Roman Buildings left alone at least give us Ruins to see. What will happen to our modern Cities when being left alone for so long? There won't be any Traces like those of the Roman Civilization left. It would be like we would have never existed. Even Tombstones have become of poorer Quality with many newer ones already have their Inscription faded.

Pyramids may have an Advantage for their simple Forms, but also because they were made by decent Building Materials, as opposed to the cheap Concrete/Glass Constructions we have today.

Not quite. I say that we should use proper Materials for our Buildings, that we should use at least some Ornaments and other Decorations to give our Buildings a Soul, and that we should build Buildings that don't look like some Lego Bricks.

As for Arts, which one looks more like Arts to you:

this one

or this one:

?

NoboruJan 22, 2018 12:38 PM
Jan 22, 2018 12:06 PM

Jan 2009
When you watch someone creating a visual like that from hand, you’re witnessing the culmination of what it takes to master something. You’re witnessing human excellence and when you do, it inspires you.

When a graphic designer just types it up using a premade font and then prints it out. You’re not witnessing the same kind of thing. That mark of creative inspiration is missing. Which is why, as a graphic designer, I’ve learned, that in order to use elements like that and have the kind of impact I want, I have to signal to my audience that I did more with it than just type it up and space it out. I have to do something creative with it in order to get the kind of reaction I want… the kind of reaction we have when we see good art.

And that, for me, is the key thing that’s missing from a lot of modern art. How often have you seen a modern art exhibit and said or had someone say to you, “What’s so great about that. I could do that?”

What they’re, in effect, saying is, that doesn’t inspire me. Show me something that I couldn’t do.

If you walked into a place like the Sistine Chapel and looked up at Michelangelo’s masterpiece, you would never hear someone say something like, “Meh, I could do that.” Instead, we stare until our necks hurt wondering how another human being, a creature with the same starting point as you and me, could become so great at something that they could produce something like that. It draws us out of ourselves and the limits we place on ourselves and it makes us wonder. It inspires us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-k3yU-koM

Thoughts about it? I for my Part always think with Modern Art about what is so special about it, but never even think about questioning Classic Art. It's also quite ironic that I got my best Mark in Arts Class (an A- or something) with some shitty blueish/greenish colored "Undersea"-themed, with Watercolors painted Picture and some also colored Scraps of Paper used and glued together that didn't take any Creativity at all compared to creating a Watch from a Cookie Box/Biscuit Tin which took me much more Effort, but wasn't as well received.

I've also found another good Video about this Topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

Artistic Relativism has been pushed to mean that pretty much everything can be considered Art today if only there's at least one other Person who would appreciate it. And the Gallery Owners, Museum Directors and Art "Critics" are pushing it by buying the Expressionist Modern Stuff.

I dare you to find me any Report of any recent Art Exhibition which doesn't have Modern Art being the Main Focus or even the only Focus.
NoboruJan 22, 2018 12:09 PM
Jan 22, 2018 12:51 PM

Jun 2012
Rarusu_ said:
These block houses often built during socialist governments are the absolute worse. They look incredibly sterile.

Not always that sterile as you can see Noboru posted earlier.

You can say block of flats isn't a joke anymore.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Jan 22, 2018 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
I think skyscrapers can look nice, just as long as they aren't too many or dominating. But I agree that the lack of diversity in modern architecture gets boring. These block houses often built during socialist governments are the absolute worse. They look incredibly sterile.
Hospitals, Retirement Homes and nowadays: even Kindergartens and Schools also tend to look very bland and then they wonder why so many People get down-casted so easily. Not saying it's just because of the Lack of actually, inspiring Architecture and Interior Design, but it does have a great Effect on our Mood.

Also ironic how they often call Things today "diverse", but actually, they are just ridiculous Reductions to something very trivial like a Rock. Or a white Canvas.

edit:
annmaryjay said:
You can say block of flats isn't a joke anymore.
That's what happens when you have too many People on too little Space. You get the Cage System for Humans instead of for Hens.
NoboruJan 22, 2018 12:55 PM
Jan 22, 2018 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
That picture triggers my claustrophobia lmao
Shall I start with Trigger-Warnings? ROFL xD

Rarusu_ said:
Fortunately I live on the countryside, so I'm not as effected by it, and whenever I am in the city I am mostly in parts where they have conserved some classical architecture.
Then you're quite lucky to have grown up in quite a privileged Place. If you have good Public Transport or respectively: free enough Streets to commute and even get a good Internet Connection at home, then you have the best of both the Countryside and the City.

What also came to Mind is how great some of the Furnishings that the Generation of my Grandmother had used are and how bleak everything modern looks like. It's become pretty much impossible to find such Furnishings in any Ikea or Poco or whatever Shop. Instead, you'll easily find simple and cheap Mass Products which are mostly created by Machines instead of by some skilled Craftsman by Hand.

It's like there is no Love for the Detail asked any longer, no creative Work that could and should be admired. Instead, Things just have a Function they have to fulfill and a Price-Frame they are allowed to cost.

I wonder how many People have chosen to do something with Arts or in the creative Field including Craftsmanship and got disappointed about how in the End, they aren't really getting rewarded or at the very least: appreciated for their Work - when someone else can mass-produce what they design on the Computer as well. When there is no individual Note they can leave without turning the Font or respectively: the whole Work into something ridiculous.
NoboruJan 22, 2018 2:04 PM
Jan 23, 2018 9:26 AM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
Yes, I think so, too :) My great grandfather up to my father were even more privileged since they could travel by train, while I have to commute with either bus or car smh.
Traveling by Bus costs too much Time. If you are really privileged, then you would have only at most a 15-30 Minutes Walk to your Work and/or Study Place.

Rarusu_ said:
We have some old furniture which is made in a style called "allmogestil", a sort of Nordic peasant handicraft. You can see that they didn't just make things for function, but that the person creating it had put his individual energy into making it. Even a trivial thing like a lunch box or even a bucket can be very decorated.
Did the Style look like this, but with better Walls?

The tradional Houses for me look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8GAiHCo1KQ

Prince Charles even has a Guesthouse there and it's quite common for them to contain Verses being on some Wall Embroidery like this one:

Switching from Fracture to Antiqua also made even the Writing look plain.

Heck, even the Uniforms of some simple Peasants had lots of Style:

Compared to that, we only get cheap, mass-produced Stuff, where there is absolutely no Love for the Details involved and no Calligraphy being valued any longer.
NoboruJan 23, 2018 9:31 AM
Jan 23, 2018 9:28 AM

Jan 2013
I couldn't really care less how they look, I'm interested in safety and practicality along with resourse usage.
Jan 23, 2018 10:47 AM

May 2013
See this is why you preserve your old buildings... don't tear them down.

But I don't have an issue with modern architecture. It's no downfall man. That's what's scary. Elevator's goin up idk if you saw that episode of Seinfeld or not.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 23, 2018 12:40 PM

Jan 2009
CondemneDio said:
I couldn't really care less how they look, I'm interested in safety and practicality along with resourse usage.
And because we have so many People like you prioritizing Usability over Design, we get shitty Designs and are making us feel better by re-defining them as "modern".

Not that I could exclude myself of the Problem, especially not since I have too many "modern" Furniture myself, which aren't too my Liking, but they fulfill their Function.

Gan_water said:
In many Cases, the Buildings were either destroyed by some other Force or they were left alone. Also, while Reconstructions do happen, it's often with a much lower Quality, due to not enough Money spent and more importantly: the Lack of Arts Skills, since we've become so degenerated to define Arts as something subjective.

But I don't have an issue with modern architecture. It's no downfall man. That's what's scary. Elevator's goin up idk if you saw that episode of Seinfeld or not.
This is what they plan to declare as a Monument:

Elevators are plain boring to look at. Unless I have to move Stuff and/or go more than 3-5 Floors up, I prefer walking the Stairs, because being in a bland Room that doesn't stimulate my Brain with the Lack of proper Æsthethic makes me feel dull:

I don't watch Seinfeld, so I haven't seen that Scene.
Jan 23, 2018 12:46 PM

Jan 2009
times change and nothing is permanent except change especially when technology is progressing fast like now

cultures die anyway and architectures are replace by new and better/practical ones
Jan 23, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
isekai said:
cultures die anyway and architectures are replace by new and better/practical ones
I wouldn't say new Architecture is better, just because it's more practical. To me "better" would imply having an Upgrade in Functionality without downgrading the Appearance that much.
Jan 23, 2018 1:30 PM

May 2013
Noboru said:

Gan_water said:
In many Cases, the Buildings were either destroyed by some other Force or they were left alone. Also, while Reconstructions do happen, it's often with a much lower Quality, due to not enough Money spent and more importantly: the Lack of Arts Skills, since we've become so degenerated to define Arts as something subjective.

This is what they plan to declare as a Monument:

Elevators are plain boring to look at. Unless I have to move Stuff and/or go more than 3-5 Floors up, I prefer walking the Stairs, because being in a bland Room that doesn't stimulate my Brain with the Lack of proper Æsthethic makes me feel dull:

I don't watch Seinfeld, so I haven't seen that Scene.

Oh I was just joking, I mean to imply that humanity is still progressing lol.

Yeah see not all modern buildings are so great but I do think modern cities look just as cool.

after all, it's not like the past was so perfect either.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 23, 2018 1:52 PM

Jul 2016
This is why I think the UN should consider doing restoration projects on important historical buildings.
Jan 23, 2018 2:08 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
Houses were typically log-houses, but they warried greatly in size and form depending on one's position in society.
Wood-Houses look nice, but the Floor doesn't look like it would be any quiet. Using Laminate or Vinyl-Flooring can also look quite good enough without the Disadvantages of actual Woodplanks.

The Colors of the Clock and the Wall and the Cupboard in the Corner don't tickle my Fancy, but I have to give Credit to their Creators for having constructed some Piece of Art, something that couldn't be easily re-created and something where there's still Love for the Detail.

@Gan_water: I could do without the "Progress" if it looks like a several Regress. Art has quite fallen if all it ever is good for is to cause some Reaction by the Viewer.

They may look cool at Night with everything illuminated, but at Day, they're nothing more but boring Constructions of Concrete, Steel and Glass. I agree with Rarusu's Statement in #36. Frankfurt looks comparably nice with just a few Skyscrapers, however, it's just a City of roughly 750 000 Residents, so it's been partially spared by the Atrocities being done in Mega Cities with Regards to keep as much Living Space with as little Grounds as possible.

The Past wasn't perfect, but at least, Things looked much better.
Jan 24, 2018 12:33 AM

Jun 2012
Noboru said:
Traveling by Bus costs too much Time. If you are really privileged, then you would have only at most a 15-30 Minutes Walk to your Work and/or Study Place.

I'm privileged enough to live by my working place and the University is 25 min walk away. And it takes only about 30 min walk to the town center so the actual need of public transportation comes only when I do my grocery shopping and can't carry everything just by foot.

Rarusu_ said:

We have some old furniture which is made in a style called "allmogestil", a sort of Nordic peasant handicraft. You can see that they didn't just make things for function, but that the person creating it had put his individual energy into making it. Even a trivial thing like a lunch box or even a bucket can be very decorated.

I think we had a discussion about allmogestil in our Swedish class on the 8th or 9th grade in elementary school (the term sounds familiar at least, so it must be something I heard 15 years ago lmao). Compared to today's interior design that kind of handicraft has some warm touch to it when the modern design is just ... I don't even know how to put it ... maybe overly artistic that fails in most cases.

Rarusu_ said:
Houses were typically log-houses, but they warried greatly in size and form depending on one's position in society.

Log houses seem to work in these Nordic conditions the best but unfortunately it's very very rare to build a log house anymore these days (at least here) even in the rural areas. Somehow it's difficult to get the material and the workers who know how to actually build a good log house ...

isekai said:

And with the "better and practical" buildings we welcome huge problems with the air inside the buildings. At least in Finland new buildings are a joke, the air inside gets bad with different kind of particles floating around and people get sick. Not to mention there are a lot of problems with the structures getting wet and you all know what happens when there's water all around the year between the wall structures ... that's what fast building ends up with.
annmaryjayJan 24, 2018 10:20 AM
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Jan 24, 2018 9:10 AM

Jan 2009
Tapertrain said:
This is why I think the UN should consider doing restoration projects on important historical buildings.
I thought the UNESCO was founded for that.

annmaryjay said:
I'm privileged enough to live by my working place and the University is 25 min walk away.
You're lucky. I used to have to walk only 5-20 Minutes to the respective University as well, but a ~20-30 Minutes Drive is also okay. Town Center is roughly 20 Minutes by Foot away.

I think we had a discussion about allmogenstil in our Swedish class on the 8th or 9th grade in elementary school (the term sounds familiar at least, so it must be something I heard 15 years ago lmao).
Come to think of it, I also recall having heard something about the "Biedermeier" around that Time, but I've forgotten everything about it, since nothing of it was ever used in a written Test.

And with the "better and practical" buildings we welcome huge problems with the air inside the buildings. At least in Finland new buildings are a joke, the air inside gets bad with different kind of particles floating around and people get sick. Not to mention there are a lot of problems with the structures getting wet and you all know what happens when there's water all around the year between the wall structures ... that's what fast building ends up with.
Exactly this. I also find it very possible that the Lack of proper Inner Architecture prolongs the Time for a Recovery, since it's poisonous for the Soul to stay in such barren Rooms all the Time inside.

Then, there's also the Problem with newly built Roads and Streets that have to be flicked just a few Months or Years after their Creation, because the Material and/or the Work was of so poor Quality that it easily breaks.

Oh and speaking of architectural Failures: we still haven't managed to build the new Airport in Berlin.
Jan 24, 2018 10:25 AM

Jun 2012
Noboru said:
Then, there's also the Problem with newly built Roads and Streets that have to be flicked just a few Months or Years after their Creation, because the Material and/or the Work was of so poor Quality that it easily breaks.

It doesn't apply with the smaller roads but in Finland the bigger roads and highways are regularly maintained and reconstructed which means they decide a time when they peel off the asphalt in one specific place and then they simultaneously crush the material and reuse it as laying it back on the road. It's efficient and doesn't waste resources.
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

92 by dreamingneon »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 4 hours ago

2 by deg »»
29 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

42 by dreamingneon »»
30 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

18 by dreamingneon »»
33 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

11 by juanlqr »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.